This just in… Part 2 *** Updated x7 ***
Thursday, May 31, 2007
* 6:21pm - Not that it would have done any good, but there was no leaders meeting today.
Apparently, the guv is still assessing the situation (yes, he’s in town) and Sen. Prez Jones has been busy meeting with his members.
Jones has quite the situation on his hands. He wants to pass a gaming bill, but downstaters are steamed that the results of the Senate Exec Committee’s passage of the rate freeze weren’t read into the record last night, preventing floor action today. Tomorrow, of course, the bill will require a three-fifths vote to pass.
Yet another coinkydink I’m sure.
* In other news, AT&T’s bill to ease its way into cable TV zoomed out of the House this evening.
* And stay tuned late tonight for some possible developments. Sorry, but I can’t say more than that.
* 6:56pm - Tom Cross just walked into Madigan’s office. He wouldn’t say why. Not even sure why I’m posting this. Just thought you’d like to know.
* 7:20pm - The Speaker just announced a three days per week schedule for the month of June. The guv has yet to speak on this topic, however.
More importantly, the rate freeze negotiations are rapidly heating up, according to two sources involved.
Downstaters in the Senate won’t vote for a boat bill until this issue is taken care of.
* 8:52pm - Strong reason to belive that Sen Jones might have finally compromised enough to pass the gaming bill tonight.
* 9!00pm - Senate Approp Committe is doing a subject matter only hearing on the House approved budget. The parliamentary hold is still in place on the bill in the House, which has adjourned the “regular” session and won’t be beck until tomorrow.
* 9:20pm - Looks like the surprise I told you about earlier is off. Ali Ata’s indictment today means the guv may not make an appearance.
* 10:30 - Here we go. Senate is starting the gaming bill (HB 25). Barring GOP votes, this could be close.
* 10:58pm - The guv’s office says they are monitoring the Senate before making a decision on what to do, so I suppose a presser is still possible.