Huh? *** Updated x2 ***

Friday, Jun 29, 2007

I really don’t even know what to say about today’s top Sneedling item

To pee or not to pee. That is the question.

• To wit: Sneed hears rumbles that the bodyguard detail protecting Gov. Blagojevich’s family compound in Chicago has run into a rather difficult problem.

• Translation: It seems first lady Patti Blagojevich does not want the security detail using the toilet facilities in her home, despite the fact the round-the-clock detail would have to vacate the premises intermittently in order to take care of their bodily functions.

• Which begs the question: Where do they pee?

In the parkway.

No wonder they’re suspected of “leaking” inside information about the guv.

*** UPDATE 1 *** I asked the governor’s office whether Sneed’s item was true. Here’s the response…

It is not true.

*** UPDATE 2 *** Dan Curry links to Sneed’s article, the governor’s office response and then adds

However, about three or four years ago, I talked to a state trooper with direct knowledge of the house policy and he told me it was true.

As I mentioned in comments, just because it may have been true three or four years ago, doesn’t mean it’s still true today. Still, that’s two for no-pee, and one for yes-pee.

1. - Pat collins - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:00 am:

Do you remember the fromer Prime minister of India, Morarji Desai?

He had that problem solved. Maybe they are doing it “his way” *^^*.

Seriously, how arrogant can you be?

2. - The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:00 am:

Now that’s funny.

3. - Macbeth - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:00 am:

Crazy story. But not surprising. Are these stories being leaked in order to firm up opposition to Blagojevich’s absentee-ism in the Capital?

This story seems too odd to simply be floating in a vacuum.

4. - Lula May - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:01 am:

It is just the total arrogance of these people. This also sounds like a union grevience by the state police.

5. - Holding it and doing the dance - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:04 am:

Maybe Rezco could build them a cute shack where they can put a port-a-potty. I’m just glad the Gov doesn’t live in Springfield; otherwise his security detail would have a hard time peeing on the heated driveway.

6. - Buffnut - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:06 am:

I say put a Johnny On The Spot at the end of the driveway. The neighbors would just love it. Can’t you just see how it would look at Christmas time all up in lights? We could also award the porta potty contract to the company that gives the most to the Blago’s youngest daughter for a birthday present.

7. - He makes Ryan look like a saint - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:08 am:

I don’t think the Security detail has a lot of respect for Mrs. B. The guys I know say the Gov is a good guy, except he drives them crazy with all the schedule changes. All they say about Mrs. B is she is a witch with a “B”.

8. - GA Watcher - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:11 am:

To paraphrase Lyndon Johnson - one of the former Presidents to whom he was compared by some in yesterday’s Question of the Day - you would think the Governor would rather have certain people inside peeing out rather than outside peeing in.

9. - Bluefish - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:13 am:

If Patti Blago doesn’t want them using the facilities, maybe they should not have a security detail in the first place. I hope the kids don’t end up as nutty as the parents.

10. - Nice Suit - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:15 am:

You would think that she’d look past the occasional “seat sprinkle” from the folks that keep her and her family safe.

Very spoiled.

11. - 105th Blues - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:16 am:

If they treat their security detail so arrogantly like that, imagine what they think about us common folks? The way somebody with power or money treats their employees or people serving them really says a lot about their true character.

12. - Cassandra - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:24 am:

Although I question why Blago and his family need all these bodyguards, I must say I have some sympathy with Mrs. B. on the bathroom issue.
    It’s not a huge estate, after all, and having several comparative strangers using the bathrooms all the time is something I would find disruptive
    even in a house with multiple bathrooms.

Mrs. B. has her faults, clearly, but anyone who has run a household that isn’t a gigantic estate should sympathize with her on this one.

13. - dan - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:25 am:

There is nothing with these people that surprises me any more. Please Patrick Fitzgerald, put this clown away. It just gets crazier every day.

14. - so-called "Austin Mayor" - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:25 am:

I am far from a Blago family apologist, but consider this: There have been numerous leaks and reported leaks — I’m looking at you Neil Steinberg — from the Blago camp that appear to have passed through or originated with state law enforcement. I know that the most scandalous rumors I’ve heard — personal stuff not official corruption — are always attributed to a friend-of-a-friend in the State Police security detail.

In circumstances like that, where you may have uniformed snoops and squealers operating within your perimeter, you wouldn’t want those people to have access to the interior of your home, much less your medicine cabinet.

Of course, my whole pseudonym gimmick is based on paranoia, so consider the source. Now excuse me, I have to sweep the house for bugs.

– SCAM

15. - Wumpus - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:26 am:

Well, I assume they are guys so you know they will pee all over the seat and leave the seat up. Patti Clinton needs to get over it. Perhaps they can pee all over her lawn.

16. - bored now - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:27 am:

well, if she feels that way, there’s an obvious solution: the governor’s mansion undoubtedly has a built-in solution for that problem…

17. - OneManBlog - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:32 am:

Perhaps in the winter they can leave messages….

I like the Sneedsters use of the word compound…

18. - the Patriot - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:37 am:

The Guv doesn’t need security. He beefed it up to make himself look more important. If you are concerned for your family’s safety, move them to the mansion in Springfield with the 8 foot high walls around it.

Wake up Blue Collar Dems-This guy doesn’t even want middle class security officers who will take a bullet for his family to use his restroom.

I am sure glad Rod is here for the Working man!

19. - North of I-80 - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:39 am:

The Governors Mansion in Springfield is equipped to handle all resident and security detail needs. It is operational and fully staffed…. just not used. What would it take to require the Governor to live in Springfield and be in his office there from say 9A to 5P while legislature is in session??

20. - Blagojevich Mystery Deepens - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:42 am:

Guess Patti and company are getting rather paranoid. Gee wonder why? TICK TICK TICK

21. - Air Up There - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 9:53 am:

It’s the “CAMELOT” of 2934 West Sunnyside Avenue.
    Serfs don’t use modern facilities.
    Sounds like a lame excuse to reduce “ears”.

22. - Anonymoose - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:01 am:

How about putting an RV with appropriate facilities our front of Graceland North for the detail to use. The state is “flush” with cash right now, so expense should not be a consideration.

23. - Concerned Citizen - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:08 am:

Boy, I bet the neighborhood dogs are really pi**ed…..

24. - ids - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:17 am:

They’re only a few blocks from a branch of the Chicago River. Since it is a dump anyhow, Rod won’t care, and if it keeps Patti happy, the state in Rod’s house will be restored.

25. - Lula May - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:20 am:

If their home is like all the other northside homes built around the same time, there is probably a washroom in the basement with a separate entrance.
    There is no excuse for Patti’s behavior. And what’s up with Rod. If he is such a good guy to the state police why would he put up with his wife treating the security so poorly ? Probably the answer is he’s not that good guy.

26. - Buffnut - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:26 am:

Hope the detail has a good healthcare plan. I was always told it isn’t healthy to hold it in.

27. - Milton - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:27 am:

Seems to me the Blagojevich’s are in the wrong business if they don’t like those types of intrusions. Wonder if Rod and Patti will have to share a toilet, urinal, bidet in federal prison?

28. - Buffnut - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:27 am:

OOOOPS. My bad, Rod is working on the healthcare plan.

29. - Tom - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:32 am:

Before we get too carried away bashing the Blagos (fun though it is) remember any of Sneed’s bits must be taken with a shaker full of salt.

30. - HeyHeyHolyMackerel - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:40 am:

Wow, this is like the greatest story ever. It’ll probably show up in every Patti hit piece from now on.

Is it true? Who knows? But it’s AWE-some.

31. - Little Egypt - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 10:58 am:

Does this not just prove the point that GoverNOT Speechify is working out of his home and not out of either his Springfield or Chicago offices? Perhaps Patty should tell her oldest child that he needs to go to his office to work and this would no longer be a problem.

32. - Team Sleep - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:07 am:

I’m sure they have more than one bathroom. If that’s the case, keep a couple of bathrooms off-limits and let the security details use the third and/or fourth bathroom. What’s so hard about that? Is Patti that spoiled and mean that the people who are protecting her can’t take a whiz while they’re on duty?

Things like this nugget make me wonder what the Blagojevich’s are teaching their kids. I wonder what type of special treatment they receive at daycare and schools and church and anywhere else they frequent.

33. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:21 am:

Check the update.

34. - OneManBlog - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:32 am:

It’s not true…

What part, they can’t use the house they take care of it in public or both?

35. - Lula May - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:35 am:

This rumor or complaint by the state police has been around for about 3 years. I tend to believe the officers.

36. - decaturboy - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:38 am:

It is time for the state to invest in the Blago memorial dump center for the troopers. It should only cost the taxpayers a few $100,000. One of Mell’s or Jones’ buddies or families members could do the project.( if you can not help your family).

37. - Northside Bunker - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:39 am:

Some enterprising reporters (TV AND newspapers) should go over to the Blago compound and interview the state’s bodyguard detail.
    Don’t trust the Blago spin machine…..

38. - Ken in Aurora - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:39 am:

Like I’d believe the Gov’s office on this issue!

39. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:44 am:

First, it’s not a “compound,” it’s just a house, which makes me wonder about the rest of the story. Second, if the rumor has been around that long, then maybe it’s an outdated situation. But, it’s certainly true that a denial does not automatically negate the piece.

40. - dan - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:45 am:

Re: The update, how can anyone believe any statement that comes from the Govenors office. This administration is a pack of documented liars.

41. - I.P. Freely - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 11:51 am:

If the troopers are, in fact, banned from the Blago family bathrooms, there are several handy alternatives to public p***ing. Borrowed bedpans, the plastic gadgets hospitals now give us fellas instead of bedpans, or the time-honored redneck recycling process known as “jugging” are all better than drawing one’s er, pistol, in the great outdoors.

42. Pingback Reverse Spin » Rod P. Blagojevich - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 12:16 pm:

[…] Over at Rich Miller’s website, the governor’s office has issued a denial. […]

43. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 12:39 pm:

“Let them wear Depends.”

- Marie Antoinette Blagojevich

44. - South of I-80 - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 12:59 pm:

Maybe that’s the reason “Air Rod” is going back and forth to Springfield…………he has to use the bathroom!

45. - Master of the Obvious - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 1:10 pm:

Are you freaking serious? How about the cops using the facilities at the donut shop before the shift starts. It is the Blagojevich’s home–and the story ends there. I wouldn’t want strangers, neighbors, friends, cops, or anyone other than me/my family using my bathroom on a regular basis. Cop a squat somewhere else–have some courtesy and keep your stink to yourself.

46. - OneManBlog - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 1:29 pm:

Or some clever investigative reporter could score some big gulps give em to the troopers and wait…

47. - Little Egypt - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 1:31 pm:

MOTO, I nominate you for head of the Blago security detail. You’d change your tune if you had a serious nature call and had to hustle quickly to find a relief center when one was just steps away. No sympathy here. I agree with posters who suggest there is no better place for security of your family and to provide for the necessities of the troopers than the Executive Mansion in Springfield. Although I will admit that he’s destined to live in a very secure location for sure.

48. - Master of the Obvious - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 2:06 pm:

Thanks for the nomination, but been close enough in a previous career, and I never once suffered a serious nature call on duty that couldn’t be covered without relieving myself in the principle’s presence, home, or office. Frankly, I had enough foresight to take care of the “problem” before it became serious. LE– you really wouldn’t mind a constant intrusion into your home for the bathroom? To me, the extremely odd “serious instance” would be one thing–opening my home so somebody could foul my bathroom on a regular/daily basis? No way.

49. - Huh? - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 2:22 pm:

Truly nice people go out of their way to be kind to those around them and make sure that their needs are taken care of whether it be food, drink or rest room facilities.

As indicated by others, I am sure that the blago house has more than 1 bathroom, one near the kitchen and back door. Basement?

If this rumor is indeed true, that the cops hav to leave the governot’s home to relieve themselves, imagine the hue and cry if something were to happen while the cops were away from their post.

50. - Master of the Obvious - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 3:27 pm:

Hey Huh–I would be more than happy to come on by after supper tonight–or maybe during. Please be truly nice and go out of your way so I may use your facility tonight. And tomorrow night. And after lunch Sunday…but be warned, Sunday for lunch is burritos. I may be back Monday, too. Thanks again for being truly nice and going out of your way. Pretty ridiculous, eh, but this is what you expect Ms. Blagojevich to do. Tell me, should all three shifts have access to the head? Should they all bring the same scent of Lysol, or should the family just accept the stench. Get real. This has nothing to do with liking the guy, its common courtesy not to take a dump in someone else’s home-especially in daily shifts.

51. - anon - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 4:02 pm:

every kid on the block has used my bathroom. It’s called being neighborly. So you keep the Lysol handy, ask the detail to be considerate and put the seat down and and some often without shame. I’m sure arrangements can be made. Treat those protecting your family as if they are family.

52. - Huh? - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 4:33 pm:

moto - I said needs not wants or desires. The first family knows the cops are there and the detail most likely respects their privacy as much as possible.

Secondly, if the detail can’t “aim” then perhaps they are in the wrong business.

I think that anon @ 4:02 made my point. Treat the detail like family.

53. - Little Egypt - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 5:13 pm:

I see a few options: 1) bring in a port-a-potty and sit it on the driveway; 2) security leaves their post to take care of nature; 3) Elvis actually goes to work at an office instead of being holed up at his home waiting for indictments and ducking the press; 4) we voters get smart the next election and show this guy the door.

54. - Freezeup - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 5:13 pm:

MOTO- I blame it on the troopers too. I am sure they pick the most dim witted troopers to be on the gov’s security detail. So dim witted that they need someone telling them they when they can go to the bathroom……. Blago asked to be governor, he should be more willing to make adjustments in his lifestyle, at least until Pat Quinn takes over. And yes, it is true, the governors mansion is properly equipped to deal with the security detail. Too bad they aren’t willing to live in flyover country with the peasants.

55. - Master of the Oblivious - Friday, Jun 29, 07 @ 5:18 pm:

Master of the Obvious, you’re the one that should get real. The Blagoyavich family should be residing in Springfield. End of many stories. Signed, Oblivious.

* Kirk's debate comment called "racist" and "despicable"
* Aldermen behaving badly
* Exelon Caught In $1.4 Billion Tax Dodge - While Making $841 Million In Quarterly Profits
* Illinois Policy Institute claims AFSCME rejecting offers that would benefit state workers
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Durbin "has the support" to stay in Senate leadership slot
* I don't think this is gonna work as planned
* More like this, please
* Rauner doesn't escape this time
* One of the best ads of 2016
* Asbestos lawyers launch high-dollar ad campaign in appellate race
* Back to the drawing board
* Proft on GOP, Trump and Madigan
* As usual, the blowhard walks it back
* *** UPDATED x1 - LIVE VIDEO *** Kirk taking page from Trump debate playbook
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* Huawei Mate 9 teased as ‘a step ahead’ in battery life, camera prowess, processor speed
* Samsung’s smartphone vendor dominance unchallenged in Q3, OPPO closed the gap to Huawei
* Google Assistant gains IFTTT support for dozens of custom voice commands
* Of course the new MacBook Pro requires a special adapter or cable to pair with iPhone 7
* Nintendo Switch reportedly sports 6.2-inch touchscreen, more official details coming January 12
* Google Pixel root achieved, Bluetooth pairing issues widely reported
* Pushbullet supports Allo messaging from PC

* Unlike some, White Sox still remember 2005
* Eaton named Gold Glove Award finalist
* One possible White Sox future playing out in Toronto
* pnoles' offseason plan
* Three times the 2005 White Sox never happened on Monday
* White Sox developing promising OF prospects
* Josh Nelson's Offseason Plan

* Rauner Republicans face challenges turning Madi.....
* The Wemstroms: Illinois needs solutions that he.....
* State economic development leader pays visit - .....

* CTA to run vintage car in advance of Cubs' Series games
* EXCHANGE: She got polio as a baby, now on way to stardom
* Police evict oil pipeline protesters from private land
* AP News Guide: Pipeline activists swept off private property
* Latest: More than 100 arrests as pipeline protesters moved
* Researchers see bat populations decline in Illinois
* Police evict oil pipeline protesters from private land
* Man cleared in 6-year-old's death gets innocence certificate
* Chicago aldermen blast ethics ban on face-value Cubs tickets

* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget

* Boeing CEO's goals don't stop at interplanetary travel
* Mammoth energy bill emerges as clock ticks on nuke closures
* Best new steakhouses 2016
* Collectors champing at the bit for champion Cubs collectibles
* George Lucas unveils designs for L.A.-based Museum of Narrative Art

* Obama guidance, press schedule Oct. 28, 2016. Orlando for Hillary
* Man shot on Eisenhower exit ramp near West Garfield Park
* Driver charged in Milwaukee crash that killed 3 Chicago women
* Man shot on Lake Shore Drive near Grant Park
* Madigan addresses voters confused by mail-in ballots
* 2 killed, 9 wounded in Thursday shootings across Chicago
* 3 shot in Logan Square drive-by
* Dear Abby: Daughter, 5 kids abruptly move in
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Oct. 28, 2016
* Metra schedules to be impacted by work on UP lines

* Rauner Republicans face challenges turning Madigan attacks into results
* Morning Spin: $116K-a-year Chicago alderman apologizes for crying poor on Cubs playoff tickets
* 1 dead, 9 wounded in city shootings
* Filipino mayor among 10 dead in gun battle with anti-drug police
* More aggressive Kirk goes after Duckworth in second debate, questions her family's heritage
* Jimmy Butler scores 24 as Bulls top Celtics 105-99 in season opener
* Putin's chaos strategy is coming back to bite him
* How the Kremlin responds to hacks: Deny, deny, deny
* Bulls' Dwyane Wade comes home, opens season with great fanfare

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our View: U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis deserves third term
* John Bouman: We all suffer from Illinois' budget crisis
* Eugene Robinson: Hillary Clinton is blazing a momentous trail
* George Will: Republican Party needs to revert to nominating Republicans
* Bernard Schoenburg: 9 on Sangamon County Board opt out of pension system
* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Our Opinion: LaHood endorsed in 18th Congressional District
* Leroy Jordan: Race Riot site must be preserved, taught to students
* E.J. Dionne: Trump is not a GOP aberration

* Top of the Morning, Oct. 28, 2016
* Rick's Six: Great weather, Wrigley trivia, football playoffs and begging times
* 6 percent of Illinois’ 8M registered voters already cast ballots
* Traffic alert: Semi crash on I-80 in Scott County
* Clarissa Cook: 10 years of serving life
* Church breaks ground on regional Catholic school
* Herrin Hospital is adding a new surgical suite
* Rev. Dorothy Cook
* Earl 'Bud' James
* Betty Broadway

* Tollway directors reject staff recommendation, won't renew engineering firm's contract
* Dawn Patrol: Cubs fired up as World Series finally returns to Wrigley
* Kuznetsova loses to Muguruza, still wins group at WTA Finals
* Arsenal loses Lucas Perez for up to 8 weeks
* Hong Kong regulators probe UBS on initial public offerings

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin visits 'extraordinary' Lake County ......

* Sen. Mark Kirk questions opponent's Americ......
* US Senate candidates in Illinois spar over......
* US Senate candidates in Illinois spar over......
* Sen. Mark Kirk ribs Democratic Rep. Tammy ......
* GOP Sen. Kirk Mocks Mixed-Race Heritage Of......

* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* Chicago Groups Skeptical Of CPS Borrowing Plan For School Construction
* Certain Cook County Suburbs Want To Opt Out Of $13 Minimum Wage
* Matter of ethics? Or ugly aldermen taking space from Hollywood glitter
* Ex-Illinois Congressman Says He Will Grab His Musket If Trump Loses
* Chicago Protesters Press Walmart To Stop Selling Trump Merchandise
* Really Kirk....
* Gooseberry Playlot Nears Completion On Malden
* Riviera Lofts Ready To Lease At Lawrence & Broadway
* Thorner: Mark Levin's case for an Article V Convention challenged

* Don’t be a Ghoul, Don’t Drink and Drive - Police throughout Illinois step up patrols for Halloween weekend
* Honoring Illinois' Fallen - United States and State flags at half-staff from Sunrise, Saturday, October 29, 2016 until Sunset, Monday, October 31, 2016.
* 25th Annual HIV/STD Conference - Celebrating Success, Shaping the Future - Sexually Transmitted Diseases increase while HIV decreases
* Workers’ Comp Commission Updates Technology at No Cost to Taxpayer - Another step in Rauner Administration’s modernization of state government
* Governor’s Children’s Cabinet Makes Lead Poisoning Prevention A Priority - October 23-30, 2016 - National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week