More Rezko revelations

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2008

* The Associated Press adds its take to the ever-increasing number of Tony Rezko stories

Convicted political fixer Antoin “Tony” Rezko has been quietly visiting Chicago’s federal courthouse, setting off speculation that he may be spilling secrets to federal prosecutors in return for a lenient sentence.

Prosecutors investigating Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s administration would plainly like to hear what Rezko knows, and there is plenty of incentive to talk.

“Jail is horrible and Tony Rezko has just two options,” says Jay Stewart, executive director of the Better Government Association. “One option is to do nothing and get a full sentence. The other is to cooperate with prosecutors.”

* As CBS 2 notes, Rezko’s current residence ain’t pleasant

Rezko had nothing to say to prosecutors while he was on trial. But all that seems to have changed after six months behind bars in the notorious federal prison in the South Loop.

“It is a dungeon and when you spend night after night in those conditions and face the prospect of doing it for years to come, all of a sudden a light goes off and you may want to cooperate with the federal government,” CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller said.

* Back to the AP story

Two attorneys said Monday they and other lawyers have been contacted by prosecutors seeking to check information that only Rezko could have told them. Both attorneys spoke only on condition of anonymity, saying prosecutors have sought to keep such matters secret as part of the grand jury investigation.

The Chicago Tribune reported Sunday it had found four lawyers who claimed to have been called by prosecutors with information that seemed to be from Rezko.

* CBS 2 looks at potential problems ahead

“[The reported talks] could break off in a number of points in the process - - at the interview stage because the information isn’t checking out, and after the interviews because each side values the information differently and the two sides can’t reach a deal,” former Assistant U.S. Attorney Patrick Collins said.

* And makes this important point

“Mr. Rezko, if they do reach a deal, will receive no get-out-of-jail-free deal because then he’d have no value as a witness,” Collins said. “You can’t put up a witness who got to walk out of jail for a serious crime.”

1. - Grannie - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 9:28 am:

Mr. Blagojevich should step down today. If state employees were to perform like Mr. Blagojevich, they’d be history.
    Save the state of Illinois embarassment and wasting more money from the inevitable.

2. - One of the 35 - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 9:41 am:

I think it would be fun to include some specific questions about Blago and Rezko hypotheticals in the ethics test required for all state employees. Seems only fair since the governor previously included opposing party hypotheticals in the test.

3. - Sir Walter Scott - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 9:43 am:

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive!

4. - Excessively rabid - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 9:57 am:

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men,
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!

5. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 10:07 am:

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I feel I can relate a small story.

A guy I know in the building trades was interviewed by the FBI and subpoenaed by the (a?) grand jury a few weeks ago. He had done work for Rezmar for a number of years. He’s small potatoes and not a target. He said the impression he got was that they were eliciting information from him that would either confirm or contradict previous testimony from others.

Still, it’s quite a thing for a working stiff to be greeted outside your house on the way to work at 6 a.m. by waiting FBI agents. They explained they wanted to talk to him in regards to a grand jury investigation and his work for Rezmar. He said he wanted to talk to a lawyer first. They said that’s probably a good idea and that they were sure his lawyer would inform him that it’s a federal crime to lie to FBI agents.

That’ll wake you up a lot faster than a double Espresso.

6. - Wheels Up - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 10:21 am:

Where’s Rod’s informational “PRESS CONFERENCE” ?
    I seem to remember the law is L-A-W.

7. - 2ConfusedCrew - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 10:25 am:

Ah the beauty of the FBI/DOJ at work. So did the “guy” go in? What did he tell?
    I am sure the “guy”’s tax returns and biz records were all pristine so he felt no personal pressure!
    (he would be the first)

Usually when they are in the home stretch they go down the ladder to nail down every little fact so the defense can’t pull a surprise.

8. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 10:39 am:

word, I don’t know if they have a handbook of those lines or if they’re just passed on from generation to generation of Feds, but they are all attention-getters, to say the least.

AA’s personal favorite, time and place to be told later:

Fed 1: Thank you for talking to us this evening.

Witness: I’ll let you know if I think of anything else.

Fed 2: That would be a good idea. After all, you don’t know what we know.

9. - Slugo - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 10:42 am:

10. - A Citizen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 11:44 am:

Frankly I find the Feds’ leak game tiresome and the way too lengthy delay in indicting guv et al infuriating - almost smells of the “fix is in”. The feds should take action or drop the whole thing - Justice Delayed is Justice Denied! Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

11. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 11:45 am:

Patience, please.

12. - A Citizen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 11:47 am:

Lord, grant me patience, but please hurry!

13. - Bill Baar - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:05 pm:

Frankly I find the Feds’ leak game tiresome…

Is it the Feds? Or the lawyers the Feds have spoken to?

If it’s the Feds, then Muckasey needs to start another investigation on a far touchier issue.

14. - Lurker - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:15 pm:

Who is Rezmar? lol

15. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:26 pm:

Lurker, Rezmar was Rezko’s real estate development company.

16. - Leave a light on George - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:30 pm:

And who was Rezmar’s favorite real estate agent?

17. - Captain Flume - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:34 pm:

Rezko has been visiting the federal courthouse. My instincts, such as they are, tell me this is not news. Why has he been going to the courthouse? No answer. Has he spoken to anyone while there? No answer. Speculation, rumor, hearsay– let’s wait for something to actually happen.

18. - Little Egypt - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:39 pm:

I’ll throw in my opinion on this. Can’t the Feds interview Rezko where he is being held? If they can, why aren’t they? My instincts tell me they want Rezko to be seen coming and going, fueling speculation and that puts us where we are today, speculating.

19. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 12:53 pm:

Hey Lil E,

Maybe they want Rezco to get a feel of what it’s like on the outside and not in jail, let the wind blow through…let him feel the wind.

20. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:03 pm:

Little Egypt, the feds could interview him in the MCC, but it’s a crummy dump. Also, all their stuff they might need is in their offices — why schlep it over there? Finally, the MCC doesn’t belong to them, they don’t control the place — who’s listening?

I think psychologically, getting out of the MCC for a few hours is more conducive to getting someone to flip. Also, I doubt if Tony’s fellow guests would look too kindly on his receiving frequent visits from the feds.

Finally, I think the feds want people to know, or at least think, he’s talking. The train’s leaving — time to get on board.

21. - billy - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:12 pm:

Go Rezko GO, this is great news,

22. - Little Egypt - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:13 pm:

Phineas and Word, great points.

23. - unclesam - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:29 pm:

24. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:41 pm:

Bill Baar, don’t be so naive as to to think the Feds don’t leak. Please.

25. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 1:53 pm:

===– I’ve eaten at Panda Express, wonder if the Feds are interested in my experience….. –

And I’ve stayed at a Holiday Inn recently, so I know the Feds will want to have me consult on how to proceed with the Rezko strategy! ===

And I’ve been to Mexico, so I’m a Latin American expert. lol

26. - A Citizen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 2:01 pm:

Rich, that was Mexico, Missouri, right?? They have a Holiday Inn Exp.

27. - A Citizen - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 2:09 pm:

Collins - “You can’t put up a witness who got to walk out of jail for a serious crime.”
    What about Sammy, The Bull, Gravano. He skated after ratting out John Gotti. Just say’n.

28. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 2:59 pm:

Remember, Tony Rezko was never the ultimate target of the Feds. Tony has’nt been sentenced yet. He could spend very little time in jail depending on who he serves up. If I were Tony Rezko’s lawyer, I would insist that an indictment based upon the evidence he is giving be made public immediately. Otherwise, a change in administrations could result in a change in US Attorney. A new US Atty may owe his appointment and\or his senate confirmation to some of the very people Tony may be dumping on. How would you like to be Tony Rezko then? He rats on the people very high up in power and then the Feds deep six the evidence. This may explain why terms like “break-neck” and “full speed ahead” are being used to describe what is going on.

29. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 4:03 pm:

==And I’ve been to Mexico, so I’m a Latin American expert. lol==

I am a US Senator with four years but no major accomplishments, so I can be president!

30. - Just My Opinion - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 5:03 pm:

VanMan, do you believe in polygamy? If so, will you marry me too?

31. - Disgusted - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 7:31 pm:

==And I’ve been to Mexico, so I’m a Latin American expert. lol==

I live in Alaska and I can see Russia from my house!

32. - Martin Willis - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 11:00 pm:

The bigger story is Obama’s connection to Acorn. Acorn is mixed up in the financial mess, and they are involved in serious voter fraud, especially in Ohio.

33. - Steve - Tuesday, Sep 30, 08 @ 11:53 pm:

Fitzgerald isn’t a leaker by all accounts unlike Anton Valukas.Anyway,Rezko has a lot of interesting information on a lot of politicians.The structure of Obama’s home deal could be very interesting to Fitzgerald’s office.

* Ginning up the base
* Cool new online stuff
* It's just basic mathematics
* $580 MILLION EXELON RATE HIKE?? That’s the price tag for their nuke bailout…EVERY YEAR!
* Schilling sat on racist recording for three months
* Dold campaign celebrates Sabato ratings change
* Rate "K Text"
* Today's quotable
* Frerichs lashes out at outside intervention in campaign
* McKeon upset by "hatchet job"
* Run away! Run away!
* *** UPDATED - Quinn response *** Rauner complains that Quinn "stole" his accomplishment
* Two colleagues, two different takes on a reporter's resignation
* Rauner with 2-1 money lead over Quinn
* Waukegan school strike finally ends
* *** UPDATED x2 Siedle responds - Rauner response *** Today's must-read
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Crosstabs, cable TV buys, mail, etc.
* Good morning!

* Metal unibody phones Samsung Galaxy A3, A5 get official announcements
        * Latest Q3 2014 IDC figures show Xiaomi now 3rd in smartphones shipped
        * In The Best Conditions, iOS-Exclusive Vainglory Is A Top-Notch MOBA
        * Xiaomi sees meteoric rise to number three global smartphone OEM
        * HTC is making a mistake by not making the One M8 Eye broadly available
        * LG’s latest smartphone screen asks, “bezels? What bezels?”
        * Samsung Gear S prepares for US arrival as AT&T and T-Mobile share sales details

* Unsticker.Me Gets Rid of Stickers from Your Facebook Feed
        * Take Out Your Frustrations on These Anti-Stress Rubber Mushrooms
        * Cover Your Laptop’s Camera, Protect Your Privacy with CameraBadge
        * Now This is Handy: Hair Drying Gloves
        * Ubisoft Sneaks in Assassin’s Creed Unity Phantom Blade Just in time for Halloween
        * LIM Innovations Looks to Finally Take Prosthetic Legs Into the 21st Century
        * Marvel Studios Announces Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Including Captain Marvel in 2018

* Minnie Miñoso belongs in the Hall of Fame
        * Development of young core in '15 can define Chicago's future
        * Abreu leads White Sox GIBBY hopefuls with five noms
        * Allen, Wills among new faces on Hall's Golden Era ballot
        * The offseason begins with a new Chicago manager and old arguments
        * World Series Game 7: Notes and discussion