*** UPDATED x2 *** Burris: Special election? “I’m running”

Friday, Jul 16, 2010

* US Sen. Roland Burris actually showed up at a Chicago media event today. Mary Ann Ahern obtains our quote of the day

Senator Burris, embattled ever since his appointment by former Gov. Blagojevich, spoke bitterly about his time in office and his inability to run for his current office again.

“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it,” Burris said of the media. He added that if there is a special election for the seat, “I’m running.”

Burris mentioned he was upset with Congressman Mark Kirk for using Burris’ photograph in a TV ad which accuses the Democrats of being corrupt.

Burris refused to comment on the Blagojevich trial.

Yeah. He’s running. Sure. Then again, considering the flaws of the two major party candidates, he might not do too badly.

…Adding… From a commenter

“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it.”

That quote should go right at the top of his tombstone.

Indeed.

*** UPDATE 1 *** More complete quote

“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it,” Burris said of the media. He added: “If there is a special election, I’m announcing my candidacy right now. I will run.”

Video

*** UPDATE 2 *** Sun-Times

“Why don’t you all report the truth for me?” Burris asked. “All this stuff about Burris is ‘Pay to Play,’ Burris ‘lied’ to get seated. I haven’t done anything wrong — that’s the truth.”

Would he have liked a full term in the Senate?

“I would love to spend one term in the United States Senate as I was hoping to do but your colleagues in the media made that almost impossible [with] what they put out to the public of Illinois: They took 30 years of my great career and just smashed it into ‘Burris is some type of a…’ How shall I say it? “… some type of a dishonest person.’ I’ve never been dishonest.”

1. - Moving to Oklahoma - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 12:43 pm:

my wish has been granted. Run Roland Run!

2. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 12:45 pm:

Can we have Paul Douglas back? Adlai Stevenson? Paul Simon? Chuck Percy?

Sigh.

3. - dupage dan - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 12:53 pm:

Breathtaking.

4. - Gregor - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 12:53 pm:

Wait, was Burris talking to his mirror when he gave that quote?

5. - Excessively Rabid - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 12:58 pm:

Are the general election candidates of the major parties automatically the nominees for the special election as well? Since we weren’t voting for that in the last primary, maybe we should have a primary do over that includes the special election. Lord knows we could use a do over.

6. - Segatari - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:07 pm:

He should had run for a full term against Alexi in the primary - he didn’t have the guts to do it. Yeah he had no money but if Alvin Greene could win without campaigning so can Roland!

7. - Ivory-billed Woodpecker - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:09 pm:

If we have a special general, then I imagine the winner gains a few days’ seniority over the rest of the Senate class of 2010. And instead of helping to put his successor in that marginally better position to serve the state, Burris will act from spite and pique.

8. - One of the 35 - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:10 pm:

Roland who?

9. - Ahoy - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:10 pm:

–“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it,” Burris said of the media.–

No Roland, you did that when you took the appointment from Blago. Don’t blame anyone but yourself. Given all the circumstances around the appointment you could have been honorable and said no, but you didn’t.

10. - Loop Lady - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:17 pm:

Oklahoma: mine too…i never thought I’d prefer Roland to another Dem candidate…IL politics has truly gone through the looking glass…

11. - Doug Dobmeyer - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:29 pm:

who cares - Roland who? He had his chance, move aside for some other incompetent.

12. - Just Observing - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:35 pm:

Why would there be a special election? How would this happend? Somebody please explain.

13. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:41 pm:

Please.

14. - Dooley Dudright - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:42 pm:

Ah, c’mon, Roland, you had another day in the sun just yesterday!

Didja all see that Burris was presiding when the financial reform bill cleared the Senate?

(Of course, it’s the junior-junior types who often are stuck with presiding.)

But hey, Senator, run with it! Confabulate! YOU made financial reform happen, because YOU were at the controls!

Hey — one more for the tombstone!

15. - Cincinnatus - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:45 pm:

Will Roland need to chisel something new on his mausoleum?

16. - Anonymous - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 1:51 pm:

“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it.”

That quote should go right at the top of his tombstone.

17. - Leroy - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:03 pm:

Try to look at this from Roland’s point of view:

Your entire career, you are a media and political darling. Everyone tells you how great you are, what a upstanding leader you are, etc.

Then one day it just stops. Gone. Poof. How can this be? What about all that adulation you gave me over the last 30+ years? Are you gonna crucify a hall-of-famer for hitting .232 in his last season?

I kinda feel for him.

18. - Windy City Watch - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:04 pm:

Well said Leroy

19. - Aldyth - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:08 pm:

Dig up Everett Dirksen. We’ve had the dead voting in Illinois for generations. I’m ready to reverse it and vote for someone who’s dead.

20. - dupage dan - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:11 pm:

I see your point, Leroy…….NOT.

Media darling - LMAO.

21. - sal-says - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:14 pm:

“You took 30 years of a great career and smashed it.”

Maybe, just wondering, maybe it should say ‘I’ instead of ‘You’?

22. - VanillaMan - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:16 pm:

Don’t You Want Me? – Oakley, enhanced by VanillaMan

(Burris:)
    I was working as a has-been lawyer, once a bright star
    When I called you
    You selected me, after promising you, cash all around
    I’m the Magic Man, just Trailblazin’ through!
    Now two years later on the world just laughs at my name
    While your trial is demanding the Devil his due
    No one will forget it’s you who put me where I am now
    After a stellar political career, I’m through!

Why don’t they want me?
    You know I can’t believe it when I hear they won’t elect me
    Why don’t they want me?
    They’d rather have Kirk or Giannoulais, this just can’t be!
    It’s much too late I assume
    To change the words on my tomb
    I wish I could take it back because I’m now so sorry

Voters could want me, maybe? They don’t want me! Oh!
    They don’t seem to believe me? Don’t you want me? Oh!

(Blagojevich:)
    I was out of options, when you made your call
    That much is true
    After Jones, Jackson, Jarrett knew I was about to fall
    With cash I hoped that you’d come through
    The last two years for us have not been good times
    I know why you’re blue
    Now it’s time to hang up the phone and return to my cell
    Dinner at Tamms tonight, is canned beef stew.

Why don’t they want me?
    You know I can’t believe it when I hear I’m not their favorite Dem!
    Why don’t they want me?
    After all the health care I provided, well, just F^(K them!
    It’s much too late I’m told
    To sell what’s F^(&K!NG gold
    I wish I could buy it back because I’m now so sorry

Voters could want us, maybe? They don’t want us! Oh!
    They don’t seem to believe us? Don’t you want us? Oh!

23. - Amalia - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:20 pm:

the return of the ego!

24. - KeepSmiling - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:22 pm:

VM, that was fabulous.

25. - Northern Post - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:46 pm:

Leroy–it’s just the Peter Principle at work. The media and voters will tolerate a lot for lower-level office holders. But the scrutiny goes up as you try to climb. Roland found that out in his runs for Senate, Mayor and Governor. And he found it again–in droves–when he short-cutted his way to the Senate with a deal with the devil.

26. - gfalkes - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 2:53 pm:

I’m announcing i’m running too. One month a senator is better than never a senator. And I’m convinced that a nobody could beat Burris.

27. - D.P. Gumby - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 3:19 pm:

Gee, why isn’t Roland on the Blago witness list?

28. - wordslinger - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 3:38 pm:

Whatever. This state needs to move past Roland Burris and Rod Blago. Trips, too.

Jane Addams, Ev Dirksen, Bob Michel, Paul Douglas, Charles Percy, the Adlais, Paul Simon, Dick Ogilvie, Big Jim, Jim Edgar….. we can do a lot better.

29. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 3:40 pm:

==Then one day it just stops. Gone. Poof. How can this be?==
    “(bleeping) Golden” Touch

30. - Yukon - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 3:58 pm:

Roland is a legend in his own mind. Media and political “darling” isn’t the word I’d use.

31. - Concerned Voter - Friday, Jul 16, 10 @ 4:05 pm:

Roland , please just keep quiet and doing your job (voting however Durbin tells you to) until the end of the term, when we can get somebody who, although they might not be the best or most qualified person, is at least voted in by the electorate and not just handed the job.

* Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Bears open thread
* More adventures in misgovernance
* Question of the day - Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Petulance all around

* Could this metal frame be a Samsung Galaxy S6 component?
        * Samsung Galaxy S6 rumored to have curved display on both sides
        * Verizon to launch Lumia Denim on Lumia 822, Lumia 928 and Lumia Icon
        * Instagram's spam purge reveals high-profile accounts with fake followers
        * Gresso Regal Black Edition made from titanium packs 5.0-inch screen
        * Exiles dares you to make your escape from an “alien” world
        * Ask the iTunes Guy: Missing ringtones and explicit radio

* FBI: Sony hack was North Korea’s work
        * The Savvy Plan to Combat Malaria With Mobile Phones
        * FBI Says North Korea Responsible for Sony Hack (Updated)
        * T-Mobile Settles Government “Cramming” Charges for $90 Million