*** UPDATED x1 *** Things that make me wanna pound my head against the wall

Thursday, Oct 7, 2010

*** UPDATE *** Sheesh

In a new Kirk ad, a mother complains about how, “our daughter was a freshman when I opened up the envelope (from the treasurer) and found that they’d lost more than half of our college savings.”

Problem is, the fund involved, known as Core Plus, only lost 38%, and half of that was recouped in a lawsuit. I’m not always great at math, but 19% or so strikes me as somewhat short of half.

[ *** End Of Update *** ]

* Oh, for the love of Mike….

Giannoulias said he has been “absolutely, unequivocally consistent in all my statements for the last four years.

“I left day-to-day operations in 2005, and I fully left the bank about April 2006,” he said.

“Absolutely, unequivocally consistent”? Um, didn’t he tell the Tribune last week that he left the bank in May of 2006, not April, as he just told the SJ-R?

Dude, seriously, what is wrong with you?

* Speaking of wrong-headed types, check out the Tribune’s endorsement of Bob Dold

Though Democrats want to portray him as an arch-conservative, we’re convinced he will be in the moderate, pro-choice, independent mold of Kirk.

Forget about all the evidence that Dold is not being upfront about his core beliefs. Blame the whole thing on partisanship. Yeah. Good one.

* What the heck?

James Wright, who recently was forced out as the state’s executive inspector general, has a new job as the campaign manager for mayoral hopeful Gery Chico, the candidate told the Chicago News Cooperative on Wednesday. […]

Chico said he is not concerned that Wright has never run a campaign.

And Chico expects us to take him seriously? Dick Durbin is also clueless

Chico was an “outstanding candidate” in the 2004 US Senate primary? Is Durbin nuts? Chico got barely over 5 percent of the Cook County vote that year and four percent statewide. Sheesh.

* Speaking of the mayor’s race, Fox Chicago was so desperate to find another angle that it turned to a “futurist,” whatever that is

Rahm Emanuel is only “blunt” behind closed doors. His campaign won’t be anything like his private personality.

* Told ‘ya

He was never officially in, but today former state Senate President Emil Jones officially said he is not running for Chicago mayor.

That lasted what? Less than a week?

* Ummm

It’s not always possible to predict the positions of all the players in the game of politics in Illinois.

A case in point came to me in the form of a copy of an e-mail invitation from Mark Denzler, vice president and chief operating officer of the Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, to folks who were being encouraged to attend two fundraisers — one for Democratic House Speaker Madigan of Chicago, and the other for Senate Republican Leader Christine Radogno of Lemont. […]

When we spoke recently, Denzler said House GOP Leader Cross hadn’t asked for a fundraiser this year

Look, I know Cross has no love for the IMA, but maybe he could at least ask them to hold a fundraiser? Put them on the spot, maybe?

* Talk about being out of step with the times

[Democratic treasurer nominee Robin Kelly] linked two votes by [GOP treasurer nominee Dan Rutherford] —in 1995 and 1997 against lowering the DUI standard to .08 from .10—to more than $70,000 in campaign contributions he’s received since then from beer distributors and other liquor interests.

“Rutherford sold out safe roads for campaign cash,” blared a Kelly press release.

Mr. Rutherford responds that Ms. Kelly has to be “desperate” to drag up 15-year-old legislative votes. He opposes and still opposes .08 and the state’s mandatory seat-belt law, Mr. Rutherford says, but money has nothing to do with it.

He still opposes the seat-belt law?

* Finally, somebody else is whacking Rasmussen for not including all candidates in its Illinois polling

Rasmussen cannot justify its failure to name the “some other candidate” who has 1% more support than Jones. Disappointing. Rasmussen had a duty to name Labno in the interest of fairness to all parties, to ensure more accurate reporting by the media

Rasmussen is officially blacklisted by me until they start including everyone’s name in their polls. There’s no excuse for their behavior. “Rasmussen” is also a banned word in comments right now, so if you want to talk about them use: “The polling company that shall not be named” in comments or your post will be held automatically for moderation.

* The Daily Southtown asked candidates to list the five most recently played songs on their iPods and MP3 players

U.S. Senate candidate Mark Kirk (R-10th), of Highland Park, listed country, pop and jazz - from Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” to Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” to Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy.”

Taylor Swift? Really?

I’d really rather not say what I’m thinking right now.

* Roundup…

* Don’t be afraid to go Green this election

* Greens May Turn Blue Seat to Red

* Comptroller candidates vague about budget cuts

* Halvorson, Kinzinger debate bailout, tax cuts

* Potential Opponents Had Just About Enough Of Rahm’s Tour

* City Clerk del Valle wants Chicago voters to weigh in on legalizing video gambling

* Miguel del Valle Q&A

* Meeks meets with gay leaders

* With Fioretti expected to run for mayor, primary could be wide open

* Cook assessor candidates in attack mode

* Assessor Hopeful Points to Puerto Rican Roots

1. - Ahoy - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 1:59 pm:

I can see why you would be against the seat belt law or at least how’s it interpreted, but maybe I’m just bitter because my wife got a “seat belt ticket” when she was in fact wearing her seat belt.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Victim: No
    Cop: you wern’t wearing your seat belt.
    Victim: Yes I was, it’s still on me
    Cop: Well you wern’t wearing it when I saw you.
    Vicitim: And when was this?
    Cop: Here’s your ticket.

Then to contest it you have to spend a couple hours in traffic court just because some other guy with a badge has bad vision.

Rich, why would you conduct a poll that actually reflects the ballot? That’s so old school.

2. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:03 pm:

If by Outstanding he means that he was outstanding about whining about the wealth of other candidates, then yes, he was outstanding.

3. - been there - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:04 pm:

Way back when we first got seat belt laws, Phyllis Schlafly was against them too. Remember her? She even did one of her radio commentaries about how she got her son to disable the seat belt on her new car.

She’s famous for opposing the Equal Rights Amendment. Does Dan Rutherford also oppose equal rights for women?

4. - Davey Boy Smithe - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:07 pm:

I can watch Taylor Swift all day, but listen to her, c’mon Kirk.

5. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:07 pm:

===Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy.”===

OK, I’ve never heard this song and know nothing about it at all. Having said that, though, it sounds like something that would be played repeatedly at the Manhole on Halsted Street.

Giddy-up.

6. - Old Shepherd - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:08 pm:

I believe the fact that the most recent poll by “the polling company that shall not be named” shows the race for governor narrowing–even without including SLC in the poll–is proof enough that the recent polling trend is indeed the real thing. If I were the Brady camp, I would not be encouraged by this most recent poll from “the polling company that shall not be named.”

7. - Piling on - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:10 pm:

Taylor Swift, really!

8. - Amalia - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:14 pm:

Rutherford opposes the seat belt law. seriously? just nutty.

9. - Louis G. Atsaves - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:14 pm:

I am firmly in the social moderate and fiscal conservative camp of the Illinois GOP, and have strongly supported Republican candidates like Corinne Wood, Adeline Geo-Karis and Mark Kirk who fall into that category. On the local level, there are many more such Republicans I’ve supported who are fiscally conservative and socially moderate.

I’ve had many a run in with different wings of the GOP who have called me and them RINO. I have watched socially moderate and fiscally conservative Republicans get hammered mercilessly by the far right GOP and the Democrats, for holding their positions.

Robert Dold is also a social moderate and fiscal conservative, in spite of some impressive efforts to paint him differently by his opponents. And I am supporting him as strongly as I have supported other such candidates in the past. I am watching the Democrats hammer him mercilessly and the far right GOP hoping upon hope that he is really one of them in disguise.

Sorry to disappoint you all but Dold is a social moderate and fiscal conservative. During the primary, I stuck my neck out for the guy and endorsed him, to the dismay of conservative Republicans and RINO Republicans (who were backing Coulson). The Tribune called it right.

What this country and this state needs right now are more Republican moderates that fall into that category.

Not all of us Republicans are tea party types. Remember that the next time you drink the Kool-Aid offered by certain Democrats.

10. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:21 pm:

Old Shepherd,

The latest polling from that mysterious company shows Kirk increasing his lead by 1 point to +4 in the past two weeks (insignificant change, MOE 4%) and included the Green party.

11. - Quinn T. Sential - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:23 pm:

Are debates which do not include every candidate to appear on the ballot also blacklisted by you; until they start including every candidate in their debate, or is there an acceptable excuse for their behavior. Candidates not allowed to participate in public debate forums often have dificulty polling well, so perhaps exclusion from one forum could adversely result from exclusion in the other.

Will discussion of debates that do not include all candidates to appear on the ballot also be banned words in comments as well? Will we have to talk about them by saying “The debate forum that shall not be named” in comments as well in order to keep a comment post from being held automatically for moderation as well?

I am going to go bang my head on the wall a few times and then take a couple of aspirin,and then come back to see if I am blacklisted too just for asking, if my comments are held for moderation.

12. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:23 pm:

===and included the Green party. ===

But not the Libertarian Party. They’re worthless. Don’t bring them up again as being anything like a reliable source.

13. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:24 pm:

QTS, do you actually read your comments for logic before you post them?

14. - Old Shepherd - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:24 pm:

Their poll for the race for governor also included the Green Party but failed to include SLC.

15. - Just the facts - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:26 pm:

“Not all of us Republicans are tea party types.”

True, though Dold parties with Americans for Prosperity, the Palatine Tea Party, Dick Armey’s Freedom Works….

Maybe you’re not, Louie, but he sure is.

16. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:26 pm:

===but failed to include SLC. ===

And Libertarians.

17. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:26 pm:

47th,The Manhole has been gone for years.

18. - 10th Indy - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:28 pm:

Alexi has been absolutely, unequivocally consistent in changing his story to meet his needs.

While gotta admit a guilty love for that pop-country-romeoandjuliet-bubblegum-trash, I think this may have been the one time for Congressman Kirk to follow Alexi’s lead and leave the answer blank.

It does leave me wonderng what’s on Alexi’s playlist?

19. - MrJM - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:35 pm:

@47Ward - I believe this video will familiarize you with the majesty of Big&Rich: http://bit.ly/RideACowboy

When it comes to music videos featuring both 1) a flamboyant parade and 2) an obviously phony girlfriend, it’s my favorite!

– MrJM

20. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:37 pm:

Yet another reason I can’t run for office, way to much hip hop for a Republican

21. - Davey Boy Smithe - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:37 pm:

22. - unclesam - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:38 pm:

Rich,

Maybe your next QOTD should be for us commenters to suggest what songs should be on each candidates iPod/MP3 player — with heavy snark encouraged.

23. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:38 pm:

10th Indy,

On Alexi’s iPod:

And of course, Basketball Jones.

24. - Davey Boy Smithe - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:39 pm:

If I ran for office, my campaign song would be AC/DC “Money Talks”. I’m sure I’d raise a ton! How could you not donate to me?

25. - Louis G. Atsaves - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:41 pm:

Just the Facts: Dold is chasing votes from both sides, as any good candidate should. That’s what candidates in the middle are forced to do. Ask for votes from the left and from the right.

We “RINOs” in the GOP can identify each other pretty well. We aren’t like Masons in that we don’t have a secret hand shake or sign, we just show off to each other our bruises on the left and right sides of our bodies! :-)

26. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:52 pm:

Louis, while I appreciate what you’re saying the fact is that he’s deliberately attempting to hide his Right outreach from the media and the populace in general. It’s no big deal that he’s doing it, it’s that he’s trying to cover it up. And the Tribune editorial board blindly bought into it.

27. - Responsa - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 2:56 pm:

Oh, for the love of Pete. (It’s Pete, not Mike in my neck o’ the woods, Rich, lol.)

In the linked article Alexi proudly says he’ll be a partner to Durbin –and that every Kirk vote will negate every Durbin vote. YET, says Alexi in his very next breath, “I’m independent, I’m not a party guy.” Say what you will about Alexi he surely does not use logic in the same way most of us were taught to.

28. - Cuban Pilot - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:01 pm:

I don’t think Rutherford’s thinking about the seat belt law is that unusual. A lot of people hate the seat belt law. There was a firefighter in the metro east a few years ago who got a seatbelt ticket and out of principle refused to pay his fine and spent the night in jail. After all, if I want to act stupid, let me act stupid. So, there is a very legit reason to oppose this law.

Further, I have seen police officers use the no seatbelt rule to pull people over for DUI. At night, there is no way that an officer can tell if a driver or passenger is wearing a seat belt. Yet, good luck getting the court to throw out the arrest for the dui.

29. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:06 pm:

The Hinz story in the Update x1 is about as nit-picky as you can get. I guess they should have shown the lady in the ad whipping out a pocket calculator and running the number. How about an Excel spreadsheet.

Fact is, when Alexi was running Bright Star, the investments tanked and he bought a nice ride on the taxpayer dime.

30. - Pioneer P. - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:07 pm:

““Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” is played on tv during College Game Day at times, among other sports on tv.”"

So what does that prove? It’s super manly? First and last of all, that song sucks.

31. - dave - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:09 pm:

Yet another reason I can’t run for office, way to much hip hop for a Republican

Why do you think that Alexi didn’t answer the question?

32. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:10 pm:

Partial defense of the Kirk Ad.

It wasn’t until later that the half was recovered so the statement with the loss may have shown at least a 38% loss. That combined with other losses in the higher risk funds could have equaled 50%

regardless 38% is accurate in terms of the first letter.

33. - OneMan - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:11 pm:

Yeah 38% isn’t 50% but considering the general accuracy of political ads it isn’t that bad…

Which is sort of like saying largest midget in the circus, I know that… :-)

34. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:12 pm:

She didn’t say 50 percent, she said “more than half.” 19 percent is pretty darned far from “more than half.” You don’t need a computer to figure that one out.

35. - fedup dem - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:19 pm:

Congratulations Rich, you finally realized what a piece of garbage that (expletive deleted) excuse of a pollster really is!

36. - Louis G. Atsaves - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:29 pm:

Rich, you previously stated that Dold was (1) not being upfront about his core beliefs. You now state he was (2) attempting to hide his right outreach from the media.

I can agree with (2). I continue to disagree about (1).

I would have admitted to reaching out to both the right and to the left and given multiple examples of such behavior. The “I want everyone of all political bents to vote for me” approach.

37. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:41 pm:

–Houle believes that in Chicago and across the country, voters are sick of being pandered to and want someone who will tell them in blunt terms about problems and real solutions.–

Not so that you’d notice. That might be the weirdest statement of the political season.

38. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:43 pm:

wordslinger,

If Chris Christie has any lasting effect on the political scene, it will be his straight shooting style of not pandering to special interests and laying it on the line with voters.

Unfortunately, I just don’t see it happening…

39. - Quinn T. Sential - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:50 pm:

{QTS, do you actually read your comments for efore it logic before you post them?}

Yes, but I concede that not everyone will always get it, so sometimes I have to come back and further explain before it sinks in.

40. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:50 pm:

I thought the Kirk ad was a stone-cold winner, but in the back of my mind, I thought he better have the facts right.

The congressman has a bit of an issue with exaggerations. And 19% vs. more than 50% ain’t even in the ballpark.

41. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:57 pm:

Cincy, you guys are fickle. Just in the last year or so, it’s been Sarah Palin, then Scott Brown, then Mitch Daniels, now Christie. Let’s not forget those “Young Guns.”

I’m sure they’re all dreamy. You ought to get a “Tiger Beat” type magazine going to keep up with them. I’m surprised Rupert hasn’t put it out.

42. - Quinn T. Sential - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 3:59 pm:

Has anyone assessed the lost opportunity for investment income; or reduced investment losses, if the Oppenheimer Core Bond Fund Plus had simply been removed as an inappropriate investment option for Bright Start, and the monies had been rolled from that fund to one of the others?

ALEXI made two fatal mistakes as a fiduciary of this fund; the first of which was including it as an option in the first place, and then marketing it as something other than what it was.

The second, was when he finally woke up and realized what was happening, he gave Oppenheimer a time out and sent them to the corner, without letting anyone else in on the fac that their money was at risk, and would remain at an increased risk level unless they moved it immediately.

On this basis a loss of more than half is not at all outside the realm of possibility, especially if one is looking at Annual Statements.

43. - steve schnorf - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:06 pm:

Well, at least Southtown didn’t ask who their favorite actor or sports star was, like the Little League World Series

44. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:07 pm:

wordslinger,

Don’t group me with you guys!

No to Sarah, never have backed her. She should be GOP chair instead of Michael Steele, seems like the right job for her.

Scott Brown is a RINO, but the best Republican that deep blue MA could elect (see also Mark Kirk).

Yes to Mitch Daniels and Chris Christie, two governors with the cajones to lead.

Yes to “Young Guns” with was nothing more than a mentoring program to get Republicans elected and freshen the Republican face in Congress.

So your Huffing Post-type comment means what?

45. - John Galt - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:12 pm:

=
    =

I could be mistaken, but wasn’t he behind the texting ban a year or two ago? So he’s against the seat belt law & the lower DUI threshold, but FOR banning texting and distracted driving?

46. - wordslinger - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:15 pm:

Just having a bit of fun, dude.

47. - Just Observing - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:31 pm:

It’s not nutty to oppose the seat belt law. I’m a big proponent of seat belts and wear one EVERYTIME I drive, but one could very well make an argument against requiring drivers to wear one.

48. - Niles Township - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:32 pm:

A 50% loss when she opened her statement is probably real. the 38% loss is only one fund. No on invested ina 529 has all their money in one fund. I am sure her other losses totaled at least 12% of her total investment. This is parsing, but she doesn’t need to account for the recoupment of the funds because her statement is at the time of opening the envelope, not months or more tha a year later.

49. - Wensicia - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 4:59 pm:

I can’t believe that the Trib bought the ‘moderate’ Dold act. Like Kirk, he knows up here in the 10th a tea party stance ain’t gonna get you elected. It’s funny watching Kirk pretend to be an arch-conservative now he’s state wide, while Dold pretends to be a moderate like him as to win his old job.

Rich, I congratulate you on your stand to ignore a certain poll, don’t want to say the R-word here.

50. - D.P. Gumby - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 5:26 pm:

51. - Logical Thinker - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 6:05 pm:

Play with the numbers any way you would like.

The core bond fund in the Bright Start plan had a -39% return in 2008. The average fund in the same category had an average 5% return in the same year according to Morningstar. Therefore, the difference between what the fund made and what could have been expected was 44%.

Additionally, only 50% of the losses were “refunded” to those who had the accounts. This does not take into consideration the compound interest a shareholder would have earned if the assets were reasonably invested in a similar investment over the 24 months in question.

Either way, it was a complete clusterf*** and it should have never happened. I, for one, would like to know of the parallels between the “rogue” fund manager and AG. Was there a prior relationship between the 2 and had they ever met? It’s a reasonable question, which to my knowledge, has never been asked.

52. - waitress practicing politics... - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 6:34 pm:

“save a horse-ride a cowboy”…does this mean no slots at the race tracks?
    this song is played at weddings for the single women to dance too…and repeat the chorus

53. - Squideshi - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 7:00 pm:

Rich, I love that fact that you’re holding the polling company who shall not be named’s feet to the fire on this issue. Now, if only the same could somehow be done for the debate sponsors like the Union League Club of Chicago and the League of Women Voters of Illinois!

54. - Okay then/Will County Woman - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 7:09 pm:

A study published by the Urban Institute concludes that Illinois is the worst in the nation when it comes to paying service providers (aka non-profits). To me, this kinda cancels out some of the accomplishments that Quinn is touting.

Yet, Quinn took issue with Brady asking him why he was using money to promote new programs instead of paying overdue vendors.

BTW… in september weren’t we suppose to find out how well the back-to-school no-tax on school stuff program went?

55. - Quinn T. Sential - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 8:11 pm:

Squideshi

Be careful now there or you will have your ability to proofread and reason logically challenged.

56. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 8:42 pm:

=Did the Kirk campaign do it’s polling before developing that bizarre iPod list???=

Well, of course, they did, Gumby! *shouts while rummaging through the closet and drawers looking for that cute little outfit to wear at the next parade and while campaigning door-to-door*

I’m definitely voting Kirk now, Gumby! He’s HAWT. *looks around the room for the latest issue of Tiger Beat*

Tea, Gumby?

57. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 8:46 pm:

The man is obviously a glutton for punishment.

58. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 8:48 pm:

(Can’t wait to see how those “Young Eagles” turn out! Be still my beating heart.)

59. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 8:57 pm:

Hmmm…where IS that pinstripe blazer?!!! Darn!

*end snark*

60. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:13 pm:

Been — trying — hard — all afternoon — and evening — not to write what — Cartman from South — Park would — say — about Kirk’s — song — list.

Know — it — would — get — deleted.

61. - just sayin' - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:20 pm:

What does Rutherford’s car Pongee think about his anti-safety and pro-drunk stands? Amazing.

62. - Siriusly - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:22 pm:

As a Bright Start contract holder myself, Kirk’s ads don’t resonate with me one bit.

I knew that there was a problem. The correspondence from both the Treasurer’s office and the fund managers was pretty clear the past 12 months. The settlement was reached and in fact, all of us received our settlement payments in our Bright Start accounts this past summer.

I’m no fan of Alexi’s, but the Kirk attacks on him and Bright Start are way off target for this voter.

(Also - I do note the irony of the GOP using Bright Start to attack the Dems - considering some of the fund management problems were started under Topinka - and guess what she’s baaaackk)

63. - Siriusly - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:26 pm:

PS - Taylor Swift is awesome.

64. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:35 pm:

Looks like Anon 9:13 is starting to break down.

Mmmmmm…the temmptation. Come on. Here kitty, kitty, kitty… lol

65. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:38 pm:

Are there any recordings out there with Kirk saying something like “Illinois, are we having FUNNNNN yet?” during a rally?

That would certainly be appropriate about now, I think.

66. - Anonymous - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 9:42 pm:

At least he didn’t SING one of those songs during the YR event where he was playing “Rock Star”.

(Or, did he? (If he did, don’t.EVEN.say.it. Consider that a rhetorical.))

67. - G. Willickers - Thursday, Oct 7, 10 @ 10:18 pm:

@ Logical Thinker, You inquire “I, for one, would like to know of the parallels between the “rogue” fund manager and AG. Was there a prior relationship between the 2 and had they ever met? It’s a reasonable question, which to my knowledge, has never been asked.

Maybe it’s never been asked cuz it was Topinka who chose Oppenheimer to run Bright Start in December 2006, right after Giannoulias won election but a month before he took office.

Try doing a little research there bub instead of buying the corporate-funded conservative disinformation machine’s spoonfed muckety muck. ;)

68. - Logical Thinker - Friday, Oct 8, 10 @ 5:46 am:

So, G. Willickers, if you want to attribute the problems in BrightStart to Topinka, that must mean AG is LYING about making the BrightStart plan one of the top 5 in the country in recent ads.

If Topinka is the one responsible for the switch, then AG can’t make his claim.

Try doing a little research.

* Yeah, I know the feeling
* When "nonprofit" means "highly profitable"
* 50 UIUC students disrupt Rauner visit
* Zopp tapped to be deputy mayor
* It's all about the 1 percent
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Utility companies behaving badly
* Proft warns "quislings"
* Stopgap can't stop massive CSU layoffs
* Report: CTU could delay strike
* Reasons for hope?
* Naïve cynicism and Illinois
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* History made on the South Side
* Meep-meep

* John Chen says BlackBerry hardware unit close to making money
* Moto X Pure Edition price slinks on down to $299.99 for Mother’s Day
* Samsung and NVIDIA settle a patent spat
* Review: Pryme Vessyl is an iPhone-Connected Smart Cup That Isn't Smart Enough
* Tastemates helps you find people who like what you like
* Camera Shootout: Samsung Galaxy S7 vs Apple iPhone 6
* Adjustable keyboard height now featured on Google Keyboard for Android

* Inbox: Latos the White Sox biggest surprise?
* South Side Sox Mock MLB Draft - First Edition
* Following up: No explanation yet for triple play that wasn't
* Podcast: Are these White Sox destined for greatness?
* Battle of Sox to begin with Quintana-Wright