*** UPDATED x4 - No photo - Walsh at White House - Thursday announcement *** Where’s Joe?

Tuesday, Dec 6, 2011

*** UPDATE 1 *** I just talked to a DuPage Republican who was told that the Walsh announcement will take place this Thursday. Stay tuned.

*** UPDATE 2 *** As if on cue, the brand new press release…

Congressman Joe Walsh will make an important re-election announcement this Thursday at the Chicago Tea Party meeting. After spending the last week discussing his options with family, supporters, and party officials, Congressman Walsh believes the choice is clear.

Walsh stated “During my first year in office I upheld my campaign promise to do everything I could to rein in the mistakes that were made by the Obama Administration. From voting to repeal Obamacare, cutting spending, cutting taxes, and cutting the size of government, I have made it my mission to stop and roll back the damage that President Obama and Nancy Pelosi created. At the same time, I have also challenged my own party leadership when I think they did not go far enough. It is for that reason that I was one of only 22 Republicans who opposed the compromise that created the failed Super Committee.

I did not run for Congress to become part of Washington, I went to Washington to change the way Washington worked. It is why I have pledged to only serve three terms, it is why I turned down my health care and pension, it is why I sleep on my couch, and it is why I come home every single week and have hosted close to one hundred town halls.

During those numerous town halls I have heard from Republicans, Democrats, and Independents who feel as if both parties have failed them, and that Washington is out of control. Like me they feel as though their country is being taken away from them, and that it is time to be bold. Whether you call them tea party members or just frustrated, patriotic Americans, this group of individuals is growing. They are fed up and want change now. I can think of no better place to announce important news concerning my re-election than in front of these folks at the Chicago Tea Party meeting.

*** UPDATE 3 *** Oh, for crying out loud

Tea Party Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.)– who boycotted President Obama’s jobs speech, said Obama should “quit lying” and that the president “got no shame,” waited in line with his wife Monday at the White House for a photo with Obama and First Lady Michelle.

The Obamas are hosting a series of holiday parties and Monday was the night where members of Congress were invited to welcome the holiday season. Someone who was at the party tipped me that Walsh was there and was in the photo line.

*** UPDATE 3 *** Oops. Retraction

Update 1 regarding the photo line.Justin Roth, Walsh’s chief of staff told me Walsh was at the White House holiday party but “most definitely” did “not take a picture with the president…did not meet him.”

[ *** End Of Updates *** ]

* His big announcement yesterday didn’t happen

Rep. Joe Walsh (8th), not one to steer clear of attention, remained curiously absent this week.

The freshman Republican said over the weekend he’d announce Monday which district he picked to run in for re-election. Monday came and went with no answer.

In September Walsh announced he would run against 14th District Rep. Randy Hultgren in the March primary. But rumor had it last week he may return to the 8th district, where he’d face Democrats Tammy Duckworth or Raja Krishnamoorthi.

“Part of me just doesn’t want to give the district to the Democrats,” the freshman Tea Party Republican said during a town hall meeting Saturday in St. Charles.

It’s not known when Walsh will come to a decision, and calls to his office Monday went unanswered.

* The DCCC sent out a press release late yesterday afternoon mocking Walsh…

Joke: How to Silence Congressman Joe Walsh?

Punch-line: Ask him where he’s running for re-election.

Although Congressman Joe Walsh (IL-08) claimed he would announce his future political plans today, he’s remained silent-a rarity for the cable-hungry Congressman who actually screamed at his own constituent. Last week, Congressman Walsh reportedly was mulling over running in the new 8th and 14th Congressional districts.

“Who knew that asking Congressman Joe Walsh about his favorite subject, himself and his political career, would elicit silence?” asked Haley Morris of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “Perhaps Congressman Walsh is starting to realize that redistricting lines aren’t the problem, it’s his track record in Washington as a deadbeat on jobs. No matter where Congressman Joe Walsh chooses to run, he will have to defend pushing an extreme, out of touch Republican Congressional agenda that ends Medicare and gives out more tax breaks to millionaires and Big Oil.”

I’ve tried reaching Walsh several times. No response yet.

1. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 8:50 am:

“By Sundown tomorrow …”

Kirk Dillard thinks the silence might be a good move …

2. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 8:55 am:

I’m sure Joe is deep in thought and giving careful consideration to all facets of a complex problem.

After gathering and organizing all the facts, he’ll conduct a rigorous and disciplined analysis before coming to a thoughtful and reasonable conclusion that he’ll communicate in a brilliantly prosaic fashion.

That’s just the way he rolls.

3. - mokenavince - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:05 am:

Joe is out of bullets.

4. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:08 am:

Well played, word …

5. - Cincinnatus - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:15 am:

To my knowledge, Dr. Darlene Ruscitti is still in the race on the Republican side. Rich?

6. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:16 am:

Correct, Cinci.

7. - bored now - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:16 am:

word should be writing for tv. i’d watch that (of course, all the smart shows i like don’t last long on tv, so maybe that’s a terrible idea)…

8. - walkinfool - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:17 am:

So now we have it: the Democratic congressional campaign talking points, which we will now hear ad nauseum and beyond. This is the third time I’ve read three of them already this morning.

Both parties’ spokesfolks will say anything, except what would help us deal clearly with reality.

“Deadbeat on jobs” is pretty clever, though.

9. - Pot calling kettle - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:26 am:

He’s mulling over a third option: switch places with the Joe Walsh that has talent and who people like.

10. - zatoichi - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:31 am:

‘Congressman Walsh reportedly was mulling over running in the new 8th and 14th Congressional districts.’ That mean Joe has homes in each district or is he moving to whom ever will take him?

11. - Team America - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:32 am:

First time I ever got a chuckle out of anything put out by the DCCC…

12. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:34 am:

13. - Boone Logan Square - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:35 am:

Does this mark the first time in his life that clown’s kept quiet?

14. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:39 am:

–zatoichi, you don’t have to live in the district, you just have to live in the state. –

And in Joe’s case, any old state will do.

State of Confusion

State of Agitation

State of Anger

State of Apoplexy

State of Hypocrisy

State of Delusion

He’s running in many states at once.

15. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:39 am:

===Does this mark the first time in his life that clown’s kept quiet?===

He is always the clown, first time he is a Mime (locked in a glass box)

16. - Bill Baar - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:45 am:

I wouldn’t under estimate Joe. I watched him at that St Charles town hall for the first time this weekend and he seems awfully effective with people disgusted with both parties and congress. He’s a personable guy in a crowd and it works. He’s got a lot of energy. He’d shut down his own supporters to let opponents speak and then would hunt for any common ground with the questioner or else respectively disagree. A classic populist politician who can build coalitions of unlikely people based on shared resentments. Don’t under estimate him.

17. - Louis G. Atsaves - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:48 am:

I keep warning everyone in these here parts but nobody listens to me. It appears that Joe Walsh has everyone’s attention and everyone is waiting for his statement and move.

In the meantime, anyone talking about Democratic candidates in the 8th? Or Republican candidates in the 8th?

Plays the media like an accordian!

18. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:49 am:

State of Catatonia is perhaps best.

Hail, Catatonia!

19. - Springfield Skeptic - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:52 am:

Maybe he’s going to announce in the Rocky Mountain Way. Oh, wait…

20. - Springfield Skeptic - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:54 am:

Rich, it occurs to me that some of your followers may not be old enough to get the reference. You, I’m sure, do.

21. - bored now - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 10:00 am:

Louis G. Atsaves: the rule of thumb is that when you opponent is shooting himself in the foot, stay out of the way. that silence you observe doesn’t bode well…

22. - Ace Matson - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 10:05 am:

I’m trying hard to care about who runs where for Congress, but I really just don’t care any more. Our Congressional delegation is a cauldron of mediocrity!

23. - MrJM - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 10:10 am:

I wouldn’t under estimate Joe.

Me neither.

But I’m talking about estimating the amount of money he still owes his ex-wife for unpaid child support.

– MrJM

24. - just sayin' - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 10:27 am:

It’s hard to leave when you can’t find the door. (h/t the serious Joe Walsh.)

25. - Bill F - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 11:31 am:

Really? A clever media strategy? Keep ‘em talking about you? That’s what you’re going with. The guy who yells at constituents in defense of the bankers voters have come to love so well? The guy who rebutted his wife’s child support suit with the legally nebulous “verbal agreement” excuse?

There is little doubt he attracts attention. But so does a train wreck.

26. - soccermom - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 11:45 am:

This is a very common problem. So listen up, people: First, you tape the map carefully to the wall. Then you pick up the dart and position yourself in front of the map, about six to 10 feet away. Then — and only then — ask an assistant to tie the blindfold over your eyes.

If you put on the blindfold yourself and then start fumbling for the dart, you almost certainly will not be positioned to throw the dart accurately toward the map.

It is unfortunate that Mr. Walsh was unable to find an assistant to help him in this process. Clearly, he has been throwing the dart madly for two days now, to no avail. (He may, however, throw his hat in the ring to become the Representative of the Basement Paneling District…)

27. - D.P. Gumby - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 11:52 am:

Unfortunately it’s not Walsh that is to be under or over estimated, it’s the voters who are suckered into voting for him–too often their knowledge is overestimated and their emotions are underestimated when it comes to making decisions on candidates.

28. - McDem - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 12:16 pm:

Walsh has an ego as big as a SUV, He is a embarrassment to the whole state. My guess is that he is staying in the “14th”, his web site still has the 14th petition on it, and for him to get over 1000 good sigs in less than 3 weeks would not be easy…. I think he is not getting what he wants from the RNC. So expect a tearful “I’m stay with the Home turf”

29. - amalia - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 1:11 pm:

what’s the filing deadline?

30. - The Captain - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 2:51 pm:

I already miss him.

31. - bored now - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:09 pm:

i don’t know, captain. joe walsh is a BIG name and the congressman has seriously tarnished. i mean, no one thought the real joe walsh was a rocket scientist, but i’d hate to see him confused with an idiot…

32. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:10 pm:

Walsh & Obama picture … (sniff, sniff) … I smell “Caption Contest”!

33. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:18 pm:

===I smell “Caption Contest”! ===

If I can get that pic, you know it’ll happen.

34. - Team Sleep - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:19 pm:

I know it seems hypocritical for Joe to stand in line for a photo with the First Family, but JJJ came early for every one of Dubya’s State of the Union speech to get a good seat and shake Dubya’s hand. It’s more common than people think.

35. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:23 pm:

Team …

All true. Not even “upset” that he went. The White House and the Office of the President was hosting a Congressional Reception …That is what you do, you go.

However, how juicy is that picture after all the rhetoric … It’s politics, it’s fun, it’s like ice cream on apple pie.

36. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:36 pm:

“I did not run for Congress to become part of Washington, I went to Washington to get my picture taken with the president!”

37. - southside mark - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:56 pm:

Takin my Time/Choosin my lines/Tryn to decide what to do/Looks like my stop/don’t wanna get off/got myself hung up on you!!!

38. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 4:58 pm:

Seems to me
    You don’t wanna talk about it
    Seems to me
    You just turn your pretty head and walk away

39. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 5:17 pm:

A throwaway caption;

“Hey Joe, stand with us near the ‘Holiday’ Tree”

“Mr. President, don’t you mean, the ‘Christmas’ Tree?”

“Congresman, just smile. If you keep this up, I will release this photo to Rich Miller.”

40. - G. Willickers - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 9:06 pm:

He’s making the announcement in Wrigleville?

Is he running against Quigley?

I get that it’s a Tea Party bar hop or whatever but that’s pretty far afield from either McHenry County or the 8th.

41. - dave - Tuesday, Dec 6, 11 @ 10:36 pm:

**The White House and the Office of the President was hosting a Congressional Reception …That is what you do, you go.**

LOL- kind of like when the President addresses Congress, you show up?

42. - Diane Benjamin - Wednesday, Dec 7, 11 @ 10:11 am:

Joe Walsh is the kind of representative a lot of us wish ours was because he doesn’t play political games with the country. He will never vote the party line because he is told to. We should all respect that. Maybe Joe respects the office of president, just not the guy holding it. Besides - where are the pictures? This story is all over the internet, but no pictures. Smear campaign?

* Adventures in governing
* Rauner on Obama: "One of the most anti-business presidents we've had in the last 70 years"
* Callis recycles ad, reportedly lowers buys
* Frerichs says Cross is Rauner's "lapdog"
* Poll: Rauner leading by 6, Topinka up by 22, Cross up by 10
* Pumping up the base
* NRI head will testify next week
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Another day, another GTCR revelation
* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* NVIDIA Shield tablet update brings new features
        * Next-gen Sony Xperia Z3X could be a beast – if we can believe these rumors
        * Quantcast Acquires Ad Personalization And Retargeting Company Struq
        * iPhone 6 Plus review: oversized and undercooked
        * Next-Generation Email Platform Inbox Rolls Out Open Source Apps, Details Its Hosted API Pricing
        * Pushbullet app updated, subscribing to Channels now possible
        * Lost-Item Tracker Tile Raises $13 Million To Fund International Expansion, Android Release

* Lumia 830 Sales Have Begun In Certain Markets
        * Xbox One Reportedly Off To A Good Start In China
        * Kokoro Scanner Intends To Tell Whether You Are Lying Or Not
        * Financial Times Editor Lionel Barber: “Now Software’s Driving the Journalism” (Q&A)
        * Sony Xperia Z3X Specifications Rumored
        * Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock HD For Mac And PCs
        * How to Install the Windows 10 Technical Preview Right Now

* Guide to American League rooting interests for White Sox fans
        * Anderson, Edwards prospects to watch in AFL
        * Manager notes: How Robin Ventura and Chris Sale get along
        * Voting underway to decide Hank Aaron Awards
        * Development of young core in '15 can define Chicago's future
        * Improved White Sox take important step in 2014
        * September call-ups report card: position players