*** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day

Friday, Mar 23, 2012

* It’s Friday, I’m kinda busy yet also pleasantly distracted and I forgot, once again, to get around to a question. So I just pulled this one out of my… um… Sox hat.

As you know, the Springfield version of my 50th birthday party is this coming Wednesday, March 28th at Boone’s Saloon. We’re starting at 5 o’clock. There are no invites and no tickets. Just pay 20 bucks at the door. All proceeds go to Lutheran Social Services of Illinois.

The beer garden will be open, the bar will have plenty of staff and I’ll have some food there. Tom Irwin will be playing for a while as well as Brooke Thomas & Mike Burnett (yes, that Brooke Thomas). The inestimable Mike Fountain is handling the DJ duties.

* The Question: What should be my birthday party’s theme song? Explain, please, and paste in a YouTube link if you can.

*** UPDATE *** I forgot to add that the best suggestion will receive a free ticket to the event.

1. - Boone's is Back - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:06 pm:

Rebel Yell by Billy Idol. Need I say more?

2. - Ahoy - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:11 pm:

Like a Rolling Stone.

3. - quicknote - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:17 pm:

Uno, dos, one two tres quattro!

4. - gathersno - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:17 pm:

I like the rolling stone…..

5. - Michelle Flaherty - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:23 pm:

There’s an old Gear Daddies song that seems appropriate:

“I drank so much tonight I just feel stupid.”

6. - railrat - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:28 pm:

Thick As A Brick/Jethro Tull “Really don’t mind if you sit this one out, my words but a whisper your deafness a SHOUT” I may make you feel but I can’t make you think….”

7. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:29 pm:

Can’t … help …. Music …. Oswego … Willy’s … kryptonite … horrible … at … Music ….Must … think ….

“Check it Out” - Melloncamp …

Must … stop ….

8. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

See how bad I am … and just to post my horrible suggestion correctly …

And it’s ‘Mellencamp’, not Melloncamp … I know, “learn to spell the guy’s name …”

9. - Boone Logan Square - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

Warren Zevon, “I Was In The House When the House Burned Down.” If you’re feeling ragged, another song from that album (the song with an unprintable title in this forum).

10. - Deep South - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

FREEEEEEBBBIIIIIRRRDDDDDDD!!!!!!

11. - OneMan - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:35 pm:

Truckin by the Dead…

Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been…

12. - Boone Logan Square - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:40 pm:

Depending on how you want the party to go, Drive-By Truckers, “Dead, Drunk, and Naked” is a possibility.

13. - PSYOP - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:42 pm:

Lawyers, Guns and Money
    …Widespread Panic style

14. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:44 pm:

I figured “Free Bird” would be on the Set List …

15. - Small Town Liberal - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:44 pm:

REK - The Road Goes on Forever:

Your party never ends, Rich.

16. - Wensicia - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:48 pm:

Can’t access YouTube at work, but..

“Bad To The Bone” - George Thorogood

17. - NW - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:50 pm:

Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World - Neil Young

18. - Anonymous - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:55 pm:

And so it was that later
    As Rich Miller told his tale
    That his face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale.

19. - dupage dan - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 2:57 pm:

Disco Demolition

20. - 47th Ward - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:01 pm:

I’ve always thought this guy would be perfect in the lead role of the Rich Miller Story. Maybe it’s the beard. Maybe it’s his language. Maybe because he also played Johnny Cash. It’s definitely not because of his music though.

(Not safe for work)

21. - music fan - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:01 pm:

Time Ain’t Nothing by Green on Red.

Time ain’t nothing
    When you’re young at heart
    And your soul still burns
    I’ve seen rainy days
    Sunshine that never fades
    All through the night

22. - 47th Ward - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:03 pm:

Sorry, try this for the music. Or not.

(Still not safe for work)

23. - Spring - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:07 pm:

In honor of everyone, except rich & that steve schnorff guy, “i got a name” jim croce

24. - JL - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:08 pm:

Hold On — Alabama Shakes

25. - OneMan - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:13 pm:

Steve Miller

The Joker

26. - Aldyth - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:23 pm:

Steppenwolf’s “Born to be Wild.”

27. - hisgirlfriday - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:29 pm:

Come on! Feel the Illinoise! - Sufjan Stevens

“Even with the rest belated, everything is antiquated
    Are you writing from the heart?
    Are you writing from the heart?

Even in his heart the Devil has to know the water level
    Are you writing from the heart?
    Are you writing from the heart? “

28. - Rich's Mom - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:32 pm:

Has to be the first complete song you learned to sing at the age of 2, Roger Miller’s “King of the Road”

29. - Rich's Daddio - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:35 pm:

Ripple for an hour or so!

30. - Davey Boy Smithe - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:35 pm:

AC/DC, Money Talks

Because you’re Rich!

31. - Anonymous - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:38 pm:

“Jagged” Old 97’s

I couldn’t drink enough to make this make sense
    But I think I’m gonna give it a try
    There’s no settling down there’s only driving downstate
    So I drive

32. - Doug - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 3:46 pm:

I don’t know when I’ve ever agreed with a small town liberal, but he’s right

REK - The Road Goes on Forever:

33. - Bemused - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:03 pm:

Frank Zappa

I might be moving to Montana soon !

34. - Wumpus - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:04 pm:

Luther Luke Campbell or 2 Live Crew-It’s your birthday

Happy Birthday Rich

35. - TCB - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:28 pm:

“Old Enough to Know Better, Still too Young to Care”

Wade Hayes

36. - Jean Luc Picard - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:44 pm:

The Police: Every Breath you take, every step you take, I’ll be watching you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

37. - 10th Indy - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:45 pm:

Body of an American The Pogues - because a good birthday party and a good wake have a lot in common.

“But fifteen minutes later
    We had our first taste of whiskey
    There was uncles giving lectures
    On ancient Irish history
    The men all started telling jokes
    And the women they got frisky
    At five o’clock in the evening
    Every bleeper there was piskey”

38. - zatoichi - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:49 pm:

White Punks on Dope - Tubes

39. - Cuban Pilot - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:55 pm:

“Bad Whiskey and Wild Woman” by Champion Jack!

“I’m going back to the Country, this big town is too fast for me. Cause’ this fast life I’m living, Lord is really killing me.”

40. - Happy Birthday - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 4:56 pm:

Idiot Wind.

About your subject matter, not the honoree, of course

Someone’s got it in for me, they’re planting stories in the press
    Whoever it is I wish they’d cut it out but when they will I can only guess

People see me all the time and they just can’t remember how to act
    Their minds are filled with big ideas, images and distorted facts
    Even you, yesterday you had to ask me where it was at
    I couldn’t believe after all these years, you didn’t know me better than that
    Sweet lady

I noticed at the ceremony, your corrupt ways had finally made you blind
    I can’t remember your face anymore, your mouth has changed, your eyes
    don’t look into mine
    The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone-faced while the
    building burned
    I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees, while the
    springtime turned
    Slowly into Autumn

Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull
    From the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol
    Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
    You’re an idiot, babe
    It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

…..
    I been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I’m finally free
    I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me
    You’ll never know the hurt I suffered nor the pain I rise above
    And I’ll never know the same about you, your holiness or your kind of love
    And it makes me feel so sorry

Idiot wind, blowing through the buttons of our coats
    Blowing through the letters that we wrote
    Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves
    We’re idiots, babe
    It’s a wonder we can even feed ourselves

41. - Sunshine - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:01 pm:

Taxi by Harry Chapin

42. - 47th Ward - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:02 pm:

Idiot Wind should be the subtitle to Rod’s autobiography.

43. - Sunshine - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:19 pm:

Of course there’s Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown

You could offer hot dogs at this very special event and call them “bite me!”

44. - Bill - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:23 pm:

Paradise by John Prine and Rachel Peer

I’m sorry, my son, but you’re too late in askin, Mr. Peabody’s coal train done hauled it away

45. - Sunshine - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:26 pm:

Okay, okay…it’s Friday, what can I say. Here’s Leroy:

46. - Zeke - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 5:42 pm:

The Barr Brothers, Lord I Just Can’t Keep From Crying.

This has been cranked on my stereo since I first heard it last week. How I feel when I consider the past and current administrations.

47. - WazUP - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 9:07 pm:

50th Birthday,beer garden open,Boones really?
    There’s only one theme song for that … “My Red Solo Cup”

48. - WazUP - Friday, Mar 23, 12 @ 9:17 pm:

Oops too late .. where’s my Red Solo Cup

* Ridiculous allegation withdrawn
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Adventures in governing
* Rauner on Obama: "One of the most anti-business presidents we've had in the last 70 years"
* Callis recycles ad, reportedly lowers buys
* *** UPDATED x2 - Frerichs responds - Cross responds *** Frerichs says Cross is Rauner's "lapdog"
* Poll: Rauner leading by 6, Topinka up by 22, Cross up by 10
* Pumping up the base
* NRI head will testify next week
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Another day, another GTCR revelation
* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* Apple Watch changes, Sony Xperia Z3X, Galaxy Note 4 dates & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Apple Pay gets a rumored ETA, three weeks from now
        * Fashion industry working to accommodate today’s larger phones
        * Science Inc.’s Refame Connects Influencers With Advertisers On Vine And Instagram
        * Verizon Reverses Course on Plan to Throttle Unlimited LTE Customers