Rep. Bobby Schilling, R-Colona, now has spent $446,000 on mass mailings in the last two years, the highest amount of any member of the House of Representatives.
The number is revealed in the latest disclosure of congressional expenses and means that Rep. Schilling has distributed over 1.1 million flyers in the 17th District since he took office in 2011.
He has surpassed Nevada Republican Congressman Joe Heck to take the number one spot in the House in terms of money spent on mass mailings, according to the expense report for the House that covers the period up to June 30. Rep. Heck has spent $422,000 on mass mailings. […]
Terry Schilling, Rep. Schilling’s campaign manager, said the mailings have led to a doubling in the caseload handled by the Republican’s offices.
Trotting out his campaign manager to defend taxpayer financed mailers in the face of criticism that the mailers are actually campaign pieces was probably not a good idea.
* From his opponent’s campaign…
“It’s clear that Bobby Schilling’s number one priority is keeping his job in Washington, not creating them here in Illinois. Congressman Schilling chose to spend nearly half a million dollars of taxpayer money to keep his job while voting to send American jobs overseas,” said Allison Jaslow, campaign manager for Cheri Bustos for Congress. “It’s clear where Schilling’s true priorities lie.”
* Meanwhile, Democrat David Gill has a new TV ad called “Dishes.” Rate it…
* And Republican state Senate candidate Barbara Bellar is getting massive YouTube love for some very funny remarks about Obamacare. When I posted this video for subscribers yesterday, it had over 770,000 views. It now has over a million views…
That has to be a record for an Illinois state legislative candidate’s video.
* Surprise bipartisanship: Walsh bill also pushed by Obama: On the chamber floor, Missouri Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson extended congratulations to Walsh, noting “I suspect that he is as surprised as I am that one of his first bills to reach the floor was proposed to Congress by the Obama administration.”
* Tammy Duckworth says she’s not a rubber stamp for Obama: “There’s a lot of work to do and I think that we need to let the Bush tax cuts for people who make more than a million dollars expire, it’s one of the places where I disagree with the President. He would set that number at $250,000. I think that everyone should have their shot at making their first million, but then after that let’s let the Bush tax cuts expire on your second million dollars.” Duckworth said she would work to ease the Obamacare tax burden on small businesses who employ between 50 and 100 workers.
* Massive Database to lay bare organizations’ politicking: The Center for Responsive Politics’ OpenSecrets.org today plans to unveil a database profiling the politicking of more than 20,000 corporations, unions, nonprofits, trade organizations and other special interests. The profiles — several years in the making — will include information about the organizations’ campaign contributions, lobbying and outside spending, as well as the campaign contributions of their employees. Expect it to go live mid-afternoon.
* VIDEO: Plummer: Repeal Progressive Income Tax (Franklin County Town Hall, July 14, 2012)
* VIDEO: Plummer: Flat Tax and “Fair” Tax Both Superior (Franklin County Town Hall, July 14, 2012)
Not a Gill fan, but that is a great ad that actually hits close to home. In fact, it’s one of the few political ads that I can even relate to. Not sure it wins him election since his organization is in shambles, but it’s a darn good ad.
Those numbers for Shilling play right into the DCCC ad that’s been airing touting him as “one of them.” Not a good thing for Shilling to have done. How can you run on cutting spending and then spend more on your own office that anybody else? Congressional mailings should be looked at for a source of spending cuts anyway, I know it’s a drop in the bucket, but it would be good to get Congressman actually doing what their saying (cutting spending and balancing the budget).
OK, the video with Dr. Bellar is hilarious! The sad fact is that most of it is true. I didn’t know you had that many followers to push the viewer total above 1,000,000 Rich…Contgratulations!
- Because I say so... - Friday, Sep 14, 12 @ 2:17 pm:
That was well done by Dr. Bellar. Having met and spoken with her previously, I never would have guessed she was capable of humor.
- The Difference A Term Makes... - Friday, Sep 14, 12 @ 2:23 pm:
Here’s a guy (Schilling) who thumped Hare mercilessly over gov’t spending. What’s more, he convinced his tea party followers he was one of them. Now, he franks his way into homes with gov’t printing and postage. Luckily for him, his district changed and he doesn’t have to be accountable to those whose eyes he pulled the wool over.
I can personally attest that every single piece of any mass mailing I’ve received from Schilling has been thinly disguised campaign literature. Some have included “surveys” that asked loaded questions like “Are you in favor of eliminating job killing regulations?” Talk about insulting the intelligence of the constituents.
I saw that Bost count on YouTube as well just before I posted. But there are lots of other media outlets that posted it on their news sites including national ones like the Washington Post and Huffington Post. I also can’t tell if there were other YouTube videos that came down later, since Carol Marin cited “more than 600,000 views on YouTube” in her June 1 story.
- The Difference a Term Makes - Friday, Sep 14, 12 @ 2:59 pm:
What you’re really saying is the Schilling is now one of “them,” when he promised not to be one of “them”.
OneMan, did your representative break the House record for use of the franking privelege for mass mailings? It’s annoying enough to get one or two or six of these, but it is pretty much every single month.
From todays Monmouth paper Randy Friese released a poll done by We Ask America…Sullivan 47-Fries 36 . I wouldnt have put that one out. Sullivan must be blowing it out in Knoz,Warren and Henderson. I see a lot of his signs along with Bustos so I wonder if Schilling/Bustos is closing. I have seen just on Romney sign in those 3 counties
Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth…
On Aug. 24, 2010,in the Dispatch/Argus Newspaper Mr. Schilling said, “Campaigns should be funded by donors and political parties, not the American taxpayer. We’re facing a massive budget deficit and one of the worst recessions in recent memory, yet Rep. Hare felt it was appropriate to send the 17th District pictures of himself on the taxpayers’ dime.
“Enough is enough. I believe that every taxpayer dollar should be used to the fullest. This type of extravagance has gone on far too long,” Shilling said.
I also get an email from Bobby Schilling every Sunday, like clockwork. I have also gotten a few third party mailings for Schilling from RetireSafe. Which is a Republican front group that pretends to be looking out for Seniors. RetireSafe recently traveled to the Quad Cities to give Schilling an award for his efforts to protect health care for Seniors. That is the RetireSafe shtick, traveling the country giving Republicans cover on Social Security and Medicare issues.