Rutherford initiates online buzz, but will wait until January to announce

Monday, Dec 3, 2012

* From Treasurer Dan Rutherford’s campaign website

* The Tribune noticed

Rutherford, 57, of Chenoa, said the use of his web site, Facebook and Twitter was not a formal announcement.

“I’ve had a lot of people say you ought to be in. And if people want to sign up and show their support, that would help me evaluate,” Rutherford said. “It was posted on a Sunday morning, but within nine minutes on a Sunday morning, 40 people signed up.”

Rutherford said that after hard-fought contests for president, Congress and the state legislature last month, he believed Illinois citizens aren’t ready for another campaign to begin. Instead, he indicated any formal announcement would occur after the Jan. 21 presidential inaugural festivities in Washington.

* As always, Rutherford is actively participating in the online discussion. For example, under a Facebook photo he posted of the Naperville Area Republican Women Organization holiday party we see this comment

Who was the one person to “like” the comment? Well, of course you already know…

* And he’s been retweeting positive messages

* Also, I just can’t help myself. I have to post this recent Rutherford Facebook photo

The Treasurer’s caption

Tide Stick got me through the spot on the tie today, but later that night I knew the spot was still there. I had to go at it again. Have you ever spotted and needed to Tide?

Your caption?

1. - Knome Sane - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:26 am:

“No matter how much I try, this Republican Party stain will NOT come out.”

2. - John A Logan - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:27 am:

- The Tide Pen is mightier than the sword.

- I am Dan Rutherford, and you are not Dan Rutherford. If you were Dan Rutherford, then
    you would already have one of these Pens.
    I am Dan Rutherford, and I approved this message.

- Obviously the tie is not from the Rickey Hendon collection.

3. - Yossarian Lives - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:28 am:

Gubernatorial hopeful Dan Rutherford gets in shape for the long campaign by autographing his own tie.

4. - Formerly Known As... - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:28 am:

Cleaning up the state one step at a time.

5. - Anonymous - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:29 am:

No; really. I WANT to be governor. I can act goofy too. That IS a qualification, isn’t it in IL?

6. - Sunshine - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:31 am:

Wonder if this will clean up words that accidently fall out of my mouth?

7. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:31 am:

If …

If… If you are running for Governor, you must start … TODAY … cataloging every tweet and facebook post be Rutherford, if you haven’t already.

This is MANDATORY! “The Facebook” and “The Twitter” always come back to haunt, and @RutherfordDan is Pure Gold. If you are @RutherfordDan, ’s opponent, start, yesterday, to catalog every “Pontiac” day, every “travel” Day, every “Not at taxpayers expense” Tweet.

You can make the case of @RutherfordDan, ’s, manner of a lax, hands-off, public servant, who… has seen more movies than Roger Ebert, and… has run more miles than Forrest Gump!

Now throw in the SS# fiasco, now throw in the other Bright Start blunders, now throw in the “re-branding” of iCash and the COST … all the while on “The Twitter”

To the Caption - @RutherfordDan - I had to wipe the drool that went down my shirt when looking at Drapes for the Governor’s Mansion! #NeverConfuseActivyForAchievement

8. - Skeeter - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:32 am:

And I will call this tie “Betsy.”

9. - Boone's is Back - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:34 am:

“I’m running out of live-action shots. First the toliet bowl clean-up, now the tie-stain removal. It’s going to be a struggle to keep this going.”

10. - walkinfool - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:34 am:

Dan’s been using his current job, and its communications pieces, to run for Governor, since the day he took office. He’s been shameless about it. (Surpassing even Alexi.)

He badmouthed the state to rating agencies for purely political purposes.

Unlike JBT, he has done little to help fix the state in his current job.

He’s a personable and experienced man. I expected much more of him these last two years.

11. - walkinfool - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:39 am:

Sorry, the caption:

“Rutherford, solves the big problems.”.

12. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:42 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - I got that stain from watching someone change Pongee’s oil. It’s not the oil that splattered, it’s mustard. #DanTweetsOthersHardWorkToClaim

@FakeRutherfordDan - That Who is yelling so loud I can hear him! Horton was an “elephant” too, you know. #TheDrSeussCandidate

@FakeRutherfordDan - The stain on the Tie looked like Mitt Romney, so now it isn’t as cool. #SignsFromAboveAreSometimesJustStains

@FakeRutherfordDan - I chose this picture today because picking lint off my sportcoat is too random. #LookAtMeLookAtMeLookAtMe

@FakeRutherfordDan - This is how the ILDems will treat me as the GOP Nominee. #MoreVotesEqualsStainRemover

@FakeRutherfordDan - If you think the stain on my tie is bad, you should see the lunch I spilled on my treadmilll! #GreatForOfficeMoraleTalkingMoviesDuringWork

@FakeRutherfordDan - Image is everything, and a stain tells quite a bit about how well I am doing. #ObliviousOfMyOwnPerception

13. - BrianG - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:44 am:

“I hope Fran Eaton doesn’t make a big deal about being fastidious about my appearance.”

In Peoria, the always boosterish Journal Star is pushing Aaron Schock on the basis of racking up 74% of the vote against perennial punching bag Steve Waterworth.

14. - Joe McCarthy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:45 am:

George Ryan gave me this tie. Out, damned spot!

15. - OneMan - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:49 am:

The result of being the only known Republican outside of county to attend who ended up getting some of the tasty on my tie.

16. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:51 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - I like to sing when fixing stains, “this is the way we fix the mess, fix the mess, fix the mess…” #TiesfirstStateSecond

@FakeRutherfordDad - I wish my campaign staff would stop with the Secret Messages. Using that de-coding stick is tedious #AskMeIfIThinkIAmImportant

@FakeRutherfordDan - Next Time, iCash Lunches will NOT include soup. #RebrandingIsZeroCostHonest

@FakeRutherfordDan - I wish I can be humble and show people my humbleness. Thank goodness for Twitter. #ReadInstructionsBeforeTweeting

@FakeRutherfordDan - Fixing this stain so Staff won’t be jealous I was goofing off again and spilled Nickeolodeon “Slime” on my tie again. #ThoughThatToySlimeDidNotStain

@FakeRutherfordDan - If I just fix it around the edges, and add a sweeping fix along the middle, it looks like me! #ImNotSelfAbsorbedToAFault

17. - siriusly - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:51 am:

This is my lucky “state paid for mailing to GOP donors” tie, I need it cleaned!

Dan Rutheford “likes” himself. Shocker.

18. - Gregor - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:53 am:

“you can leave your hat on”

19. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:59 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - I am signing this tie with invisible ink. The first one to guess what is says gets the tie #RadioStuntsWorkWhenRunningForGuv

@FakeRutherfordDan - Saputo’s makes the best stains, but stains from Greektown have better stories to them. #TweetingToTweetKeepsTheImagainationGrowing

@FakeRutherford - First elected official that guesses the stain gets to be my LG #PlummerIsNotElgibleGoodLuckToAll

@FakeRutherfordDan - Apple juice is FOR stains, not suppose to MAKE stains! #YeahSpeakerMadiganBacksMyGuvRunToo

@FakeRutherfordDan - Let’s See Dillard try that “what’s that on your tie?” again in the elevator! #FellForItAgain

20. - Norseman - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 10:59 am:

Comptroller is seen autographing his own tie.

21. - Farker - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:03 am:

“And people thought my Dan for SOS emery boards were a hit. Wait till they see my Dan for GOV tide sticks”

22. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:08 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - Safe to say, I am dominating the “news cycle” #BeingMockedIsDominating

@FakeRutherfordDan - Holiday parties lead to stains, I use the “Wisk Stain Stick” to look my best. #CommercialsOnTwitterPayTheBills

@FakeRutherfordDan - I thought the donut had jelly not custard! #JellyFilledDonutsCanBeHealthy

@FakeRutherfordDan - Pongee did not like the Horseshow I got him and he let me know. #MakingPongeeRealLikeGettingSickOnMeIsQuiteClever

@FakeRutherfordDan - That is the LAST time I tell someone I am running for Guv while drinking. #SpitTakesNeverGetOld

23. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:19 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - No matter how hard I try, the stain of self-promotion has spread to clothing. #ImageIsNotEverythingUnlessBeingShallowWorksForYou

@FakeRutherfordDan - Re-inacting the “Bluto in the Cafeteria” scene from Animal House for Twitter was not too bright. “ImAZitGetIt

@FakeRutherfordDan - Cleaning the stain off the tie is a tradition as old as ties, which is why the tie was created… #StoryTimeWithDan

@FakeRutherfordDan - I spilled the tea I was reading when looking at the leaves. An omen. #EnoughAboutMeWhatDoYouThinkAboutMe

@FakeRutherfordDan - Working hard a fixing the the stains on Illinois. #YesIReferToMyselfAsIllinois

@FakeRutherfordDan - You think this unsolicited picture of me fixing a stain is the dopiest, or unsolicited one me fixing the toilet? #LamePicturesCountAsMakingNews

24. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:22 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - Tasing food for my 1st Dinner in the Mansion got a bit messy. #CartBeforeHorseIsMyCallingCard

25. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:25 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - I am asking if you will support Me for governor, not Will I Run For Governor. #WhenAskingBecomesTelling

26. - wordslinger - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:35 am:

As governor, I will lead the fight against the scourge of ring-around-the-collar.

27. - zatoichi - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:35 am:

This old map shows the Lost Scotsman’s mine is right here.

28. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:41 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Hey, @FakeRutherfordDan, I helped when I was running for LG. BTW, the stain looks like a Unicorn on a See-Saw. #PleasePickMeDanPleasePickMe

@FakeRutherfordDan - One thing I will not miss is picking out my own ties when governor. A valet is worth his weight in gold. #TheTrappingsOfOfficeIsntMeHonest

@FakeRutherfordDan - I need to be less Pat Quinn and more Tom Cross #GolfShirtsNeedNoTies

@FakeRutherfordDan - I always fix stains on my tie in front of a blank wall with a camera around, just like all of you #ReallyYouThinkThisIsStaged

@FakeRutherfordDan - Squeezy the Python’s hissing sprayed a venom that would take out a normal Pol. You get the idea. #MakingSqueezySeemRealWillMakeMeLookTough

@FakeRutherfordDan - I got so excited that NIU was going to the Orange Bowl, I spilled my drink on my tie! Get your Brackets Ready! #ConfusingSportsToPanderIsAnIllinoisTradition

@FakeRutherfordDan - While on the tredmill, I was watching a movie about Van Gough and started painting while running. The tie got in the way. #SometimesTooMuchIsTooMuch

@FakeRutherfordDan - Red Ink on a dark tie. I think red ink may mean something, but I have 2 movies to watch by Saturday. #IWillThinkAboutThatTomorrow

29. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:54 am:

@FakeRutherfordDan - Rainy Mondays and Ties with Stains bum me out. #BecauseYouWantToKnow

@FakeRutherfordDan - I painted the wall yellow, I didn’t mean to paint the tie yellow! #MichaelangeloImNot

@FakeRutherfordDan - That is the last time I go on Chicago Midday News and do a cooking segment. #AnimalsAndMagicAreBetterOnties.

@FakeRutherfordDan - I saw how to fix this stain while on the treadmill during one of the days I had a “Pontiac” Office Day. Yep, the stain is gone. #ThisTweetCantHurtMeOrMakeMeLooksilly

@FakeRutherfordDan - Look at Me! Look. At. Me. #ForgetSubtleJustLookAtMe

30. - Formerly Known As... - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:54 am:

Oswego Qilly - can we get a @FakePatQuinn sometime in the near future? That seems ripe for hilarity.

31. - Formerly Known As... - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 11:56 am:

Qilly = Willy. Perhaps a @FakeOswego”Q”illy now as well?

32. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 12:01 pm:

I would love to have @FakePatQuinn, but in context.

Having @FakePatQuinn is not the same as mocking @RutherfordDan or @JasonPlummer, because in contect of both Dan and Jason’s tweeting, the mocking is so much easier.

Seems funnier in the moment, like Squeezy the Python. You can’t make that stuff up, like you can’t make up Dan’s and Jason’s Tweets.

When “The Twitter” allows for @FakePatQuin mockability, it will come out. That I can promise. I take no responsiblity if its good …

@FakeOswegoWilly - Hope that helped #IfIHaveToExplainMyHumorImNotThat funny

33. - wordslinger - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 12:08 pm:

For what it’s worth, the allegedly Most Unpopular Governor in the United States was quite popular Saturday night as he took in the Fenwick-Oak Park boy’s basketball game at the fieldhouse on Linden.

The place was packed and a lot of folks of all ages and persuasions took the time to approach him, shake hands and get their pictures taken.

He seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, as he must have the solid (and rare) Fenwick victory over Oak Park.

34. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 12:17 pm:

@FakeRutherfordDan - today is Stop the In’Stain’ity Saturday. Get your ties and fix those stains. #YoureWelcome

@FakeRutherfordDan - I tried to get 1000 “likes” for the my stained tie and Pongee got real mad. Gotta make this “right” for my Pal Pongee. #MakingPongeeStuffUpIsHarderThanBeingTreasurer

@FakeRutherfordDan - I saw this on YouTube. If you fix a tie stain and make a wish, your dream will come true #YouCantLieOnTheInternet

@FakeRutherfordDan - A Unicorn on a See-Saw @FakeJasonPlummer, really? Well, maybe ate THAT angle …#TheTwitterLogicUnitesThem

@FakeRutherfordDan - I got an Italian tie in the mail today, The box was from “Fragile”. It had a stain on it, and I had to be real careful. #AChristmasStoryHumorKills

35. - Jake From Elwood - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 1:19 pm:

Illinois Politics requires more detergent

36. - just sayin' - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 1:45 pm:

That’s the last time I take Pongee to Wendy’s. #delusionalbidsforgovernor

37. - thechampaignlife - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 1:50 pm:

Dan doesn’t always wear a self-striped tie, but when he does, he wears it like a messenger bag.

38. - siriusly - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 2:30 pm:

Dan Rutherford uses a Tide stick to draw a map indicating where Lisa Madigan’s path to the Governor’s Mansion goes.

39. - L Y O - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 2:41 pm:

Rutherford, future Governor elect of Illinois, was saddened to hear that the gubernatorial inaugural ceremony did not contain any ribbons or epaulets immediately set out to make his own “Mr. Illinois pagent sash.”

40. - Mark - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 2:58 pm:

The website asks whether you would support Rutherford for governor, but there is not a way to answer the question in the negative.

41. - Boone Logan Square - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 2:59 pm:

The Illinois Treasurer takes part in the Scottish Play.

42. - Norseman - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 3:36 pm:

My staff tells me to use teleprompters, but I find writing my speeches on my ties to be much cheaper - except when I forget to use washable ink.

43. - Madison - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 3:43 pm:

Trying to erase Jasons name from around my neck prior to the Primary.

44. - Ruby - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:10 pm:

What do we know about Dan Rutherford?

- BA in Business Administration from ISU

- 15 year Business Career at ServiceMaster

- 20 year career in Illinois state govenrment

- Has no wife or children

- Possibly too boring to be governor

45. - cover - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:43 pm:

Maybe this Tide Stick will remove all of Illinois’ red ink stains. Finally, something to campaign on!

46. - Anonymice - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:43 pm:

“Gotta get that purple out!”

47. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:43 pm:

@Willy you are en fuego today man!

I found this old tie in the closet and didn’t see the stain.
    Probably a lesson there.

48. - Loop Lady - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:49 pm:

I agree with waliking fool…this guy is a shameless panderer for votes….he’s always got his eye on his next campaign…he’s a tool…

49. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 4:59 pm:

- Arthur Anderson -,

Sometimes, it writes itself.

@FakeRutherfordDan - Getting my tie all spiffy for Inauguration Day. Being Governor means looking the part. #StyleOverSubstance

50. - quincy - Monday, Dec 3, 12 @ 8:48 pm:

The last Governor had a tie like that is in prison in Az. He like MJM tie and look where he at now.

51. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Dec 4, 12 @ 12:07 am:

The State’s new Job Creation Plan at work: Bike Messenger opens a new small business by stenciling his name onto his bag’s strap.

Asked how well he thinks his new business will do in its first year, he was quoted as saying: “Well, the Department of Labor says it can’t be off-shored, so once I get my advanced degree, I should still have a job next year.”

52. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Dec 4, 12 @ 12:12 am:

He then added: “It was either this or running for public office, which doesn’t need the advanced degree.”

* A missed revenue opportunity
* Caption contest!
* Union-sponsored poll shows support for labor agenda
* A good way and a bad way
* The next target
* Sam Zell quadruples wife's contribution
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Fundraiser/event list (Use last week's password)
* Cleaning up part of the CoD mess
* Today's number: $42,000
* Anti Israeli boycott bill moves to the House
* Out of state biz journalists peeved at Rauner
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Your daily "right to work" roundup
* Redistricting effort to reboot this week
* Having it both ways
* Why isn't Speaker Madigan voting on bills?

* More LG Windows Phone details emerge on company website
        * Samsung employees create Backup Memory, an app for people with Alzheimer’s disease
        * Big tech companies provide help to disaster response efforts in Nepal
        * Humble Tin Man Games Mobile Bundle expands to twelve games
        * Don’t expect to see the ASUS ZenWatch 2 before 2016
        * Facebook Messenger takes on Skype and Hangouts with video calling feature
        * LG Watch Urbane now available at Verizon Wireless

* Epson’s Upcoming Windows 8.1 Mini PC Stick With Intel Atom Processor
        * Play Final Fantasy XIV On iiyama’s Latest 15.6-Inch Gaming Notebook
        * Epoque Hits Back With A New Underwater Mini Digital Action Camera
        * DARPA’s Guided Bullet Proves It Can Hit Moving Targets
        * Moto 360, LG G Watch R See Their Prices Cut On Google Play
        * ESPN Host Rips Into Live Coverage Of Blizzard’s Heroes Of the Dorm
        * A New Budget-Friendly Dual SIM Android 4.4 Smartphone Released By Swipe

* Samardzija slated to take turn against Orioles
        * Amid protests, Manfred addresses Orioles, White Sox
        * White Sox agree with decision to postpone O's opener
        * MLB has long chosen path of caution during outside turmoil
        * MLB historically sensitive to outside turmoil
        * Protests force postponement of O's-White Sox on Monday