*** UPDATED x1 - Halvorson fires back at Preckwinkle *** Hutchinson announces Senate support

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013

* From a press release…

SIX SENATORS ENDORSE HUTCHINSON’S CAMPAIGN FOR CONGRESS

Senators Koehler, Lightford, Muñoz, Noland, Sandoval, and Steans today announced their endorsement of Toi Hutchinson’s campaign for Congress in the second congressional district today.

“I am a strong supporter of Toi Hutchinson’s, and I have no doubt that she is the best choice to stand up for Illinois in Congress,” said Senator Antonio Muñoz. “Toi Hutchinson is working alongside me to ban assault weapons because she knows how critical gun safety reforms are. Just as she is fighting for these reforms in Springfield, I know she’ll take that fight with her to Washington as well.”

“Toi Hutchinson is exactly the kind of reformer we need to send to Washington,” said Senator Kimberly A. Lightford (D-04). “Toi has always worked hard to protect middle and working class families. Ever since I’ve met her, I’ve been deeply impressed by her passion and commitment—there are few public servants I know who work so tirelessly for the people they represent.”

None of those Senators actually lives in the 2nd District, but it does answer concerns I expressed earlier that Hutchinson wasn’t listing any of her Senate colleagues on her endorsement list.

*** UPDATE *** Halvorson responds to Preckwinkle via press release…

HALVORSON RESPONDS TO PRECKWINKLE BASELESS ALLEGATION OF VOTING AGAINST THE EXTENTION OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
AND VOTING TO SUPPORT THE RICH

HALVORSON RECEIVED THE AFTERNOON PHONE CALL FROM PRESIDENT OBAMA ASKING HER TO VOTE TO EXTEND THE BUSH TAX CUTS

Crete, IL—Debbie Halvorson – Candidate for Illinois’ Second Congressional District- is disappointed in Cook County Board’s President Toni Preckwinkle’s false allegation that she voted against extending unemployment benefits during her two years in Congress. In fact, Halvorson has always voted to extend unemployment benefits.

“It’s unfortunate that the Cook County Board President would make such false claims against my record without checking the facts. I grew up poor and witnessed my father’s struggle to make ends meet. To overcome such odds and vote against extending unemployment benefits to people in need is not reflective of whom I am as a person. I have always voted to extend unemployment benefits. The County Board President is wrong and her allegations are baseless and without merit.” says Halvorson.

Among other false allegations is that Halvorson was somehow anti-Obama by voting in 2010 to extend the Bush tax cuts. But Halvorson was only responding to a phone call she received at her Crete home from President Barack Obama requesting her assistance in gathering her democratic colleagues in the spirit of compromise in voting to extend the Bush Tax cuts.

Halvorson adds, “Voting to extend the Bush Tax cuts was never an option for me. But when my President called me at my home and personally asked me for my support and to lobby my fellow democrats, I did so. It was the spirit of compromise in which President Obama was attempting to achieve. I supported him in that quest. To not honor the President’s request would have been anti-Obama. But again if Toni Preckwinkle wishes to rely upon Toi Hutchinson to provide her with my record, she will only spin herself out of control recanting her statements.

President Preckwinkle also accused Congresswoman Halvorson of not being in support of Wall Street reform. However Debbie voted for the Wall Street reform bill that was supported and signed by President Obama. Halvorson initially voted against the House version of the Wall Street reform bill that was written to penalize small community banks. Halvorson felt that the bill punished smaller banks for the actions of the bigger mainstream banks. But the version in which she voted for and was passed, had the full support of the Obama White House.

1. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

Whoa–she’s really on a roll now. Yet, as (reportedly Front Runner) Halvorson noted yesterday, how much of a difference do these endorsements make in the end, anyway? Hard to tell…

2. - LincolnLounger - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:14 pm:

E-X-T-E-N-T-I-O-N? Yikes.

3. - OneMan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

The Obama call thing is good… Wonder if we will see it in a counter commercial.

4. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

1) Rich, as usual, when you ask a question, especially here for all to see, ironically you get a response! Speaks volumes, Rich, about you and this great place. Awesome!

2) To the post, while the response answers the colleague question, as Rich points out, not one in the 2nd District. Not a real “good” sign when you can’t get in-district support, but this race is so “inside” with all the nuances, how the senators in the district are able to work FOR anyone, or as part of an organization, especially on Election Day is what really interests me.

Whoever can get their ‘pluses’ to the polls, be they caome from colleagues or organizations, or volunteers, that will be one of the major deciding factors. If the endorsements means bodies or votes, than you are really cooking with gas.

5. - Demoralized - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:23 pm:

Not that a Republican would ever win this district but at least they won’t have to spend money coming up with their own attack ads.

6. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:44 pm:

Halvorsen is keeping up her “I voted that way because powerful people made me” thing that worked so well explaining her time in Springfield.

And nice use of ALL CAPS in her headlines. Here’s a hint — if you title is about four words, all caps may be OK. If your title is six lines, the all caps make you look sort of bonkers.

7. - Endangered Moderate Species - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:03 pm:

“I voted that way because powerful people made me”

Skeeter, Your comment is a bit of a stretch from what has actually been said by Halvorson. Are you able to maintain a straight face while scrutinizing others about the use of capital letters in a message?

8. - El tercero - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:03 pm:

Sandoval and Munoz? That means Toi hires Victor Reyes’ firm in 3, 2 . . . .

9. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:04 pm:

Halvorson’s fact checking is as bad as her spelling. She voted against the unemployment extension rule in 2010. It’s right here: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll323.xml

She voted against a budget that repealed the Bush tax cuts (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll188.xml), and she voted against raising the estate tax (http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll646.xml).

I invite anyone interested to check said facts, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13s_lFivurR32WpXuwW_rFUOqTGpv5Dl5l-BxNIsOY1w/edit

10. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:08 pm:

EM,
    Actually, it isn’t. Did you check out her self-published work? She’s used that for just about every vote that has come back to bite her.

Also, I use ALL CAPS ironically. Or, on rare occasions, to get through to particularly stupid people.

Are you claims Halvorsen is being ironic, or she thinks the press is particularly slow witted?

11. - Endangered Moderate Species - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:16 pm:

Skeeter, Being asked for support by the President is not the same as your fictional quote, “I voted that way because powerful people made me”. Your comment seems to be an example of throwing mud with the hope that some may stick.

12. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:19 pm:

Maybe you can flesh that one out, EM.

Because “I voted that way because the President asked” and “I voted that way because powerful people made me” sounds pretty similar to me.

Under either, she’s trying to say that she really really really wanted to vote the other way but felt she had no choice.

13. - low level bureacrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:33 pm:

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but Will - at least tell the whole truth - such as it is. She voted no on the rule to bring it to the floor, but did vote for final passage. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll324.xml

14. - just sayin' - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:37 pm:

This race is gonna get ugly.

If Eugene Pincham was still alive I wonder if they’d drag him out to attack Halverson too.

15. - Commonsense in Illinois - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:44 pm:

Uh folks, from the flight deck…looks like we’re gonna be in for some moderate turbulence during our flight, so I’m gonna turn on the seat belt sign and ask our attendants to cease our service in the cabin and strap in. We’ll try to find some smoother air, but air traffic control just told us its unlikely we’ll be able to do so anytime soon, so just try to relax.

16. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:44 pm:

HALVORSON-The EDUKATION Candidate.

This post sponsored by Plummer2015orsomethinglikethat

17. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:57 pm:

Low level bureaucrat, it is the very definition of not my problem when Halvorson claims she “always” voted for UI when she did not. She’d know that if she had a decent researcher on board.

18. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:02 pm:

===This post sponsored by Plummer2015orsomethinglikethat===

- AA -, Well done! I spit up my milk!

19. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:08 pm:

- Will Caskey -

Can’t remember, do you have a dog in this fight?

just asking….

20. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:11 pm:

I do! I am on board with Team Hutchinson: http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2012/12/tois_campaign_team_illinois_2nd_cd_special_election.html

21. - Muffin Man - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:11 pm:

If Halvorson is correct in her rebuttal of Preckwinkle’s comments, then why doesn’t Debbie simply ask her friend Barack Obama to issue a statement clarifying what his thoughts on Debbie are or were? She went to bat for him (or so she says?) so certainly he would be happy to take 2 minutes out of his busy schedule to “clear things up” for Debbie via a simple press release.
    Tide detergent should be able to remove those tire tread markings from the bus from the back of Debbie’s dress.

22. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:15 pm:

- Will Caskey -

Thank you.

Best of luck.

23. - Another 2nd District Voter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:20 pm:

I’m waiting for these candidates to tell the voters what they think about Peotone International.

Do Hutchinson & Halvorson still want it?

Does Kelly want it?

Just say no.

24. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:39 pm:

That was for you Willy.

Sorry about the milk.

25. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:20 pm:

- AA -,

Worth the milk!

I should know better when reading your posts!

26. - railrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:35 pm:

o willy you and rich need to get a room !!! sheesh… notice Todds gone dark on this issue???

27. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

- railrat -,

With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy

(take with the same as you are giving)

28. - Six Degrees of Separation - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

2nd district voter…

Since Peotone is such a non-issue to the great majority of voters in the 2nd (or way down on the list of priorities), don’t be surprised by the non-addressing of it by the candidates. For the locals who do care, they tend to fall into 3 camps anyway: die-hard opponents (mostly around it or in it), boosters (to the north and west), and those who are somewhat against it but want to cut the best deal they can if it happens, and they are skeptical it ever will happen in their lifetime (probably a bigger group than the other two). Not a scientific poll, but my sense in knowing the area.

29. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:28 pm:

Six, Thanks for the insight. I asked a closely related question on another post.

30. - railrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:34 pm:

-willy-, since your a follower of golf, Carl Spackler “I’d keep playing,I don’t think the heavy stuff will come down for a while”

31. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:37 pm:

Halvorson grew up in a family barely making end meet. She would not vote against the kind of folks who raised her.

The accusations are disgusting and speak volumes about her opponents.

32. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:42 pm:

- railrat -,

I could beak the club record, theoretically.

We’re all good

33. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 9:44 pm:

VanillaMan that is hilarious. On the one hand I have how Halvorson, like, voted. On the other you’re pretty sure she would never vote that way because of something or other about her childhood.

Anyway, I’m right here buddy. You care to elaborate on what me looking up how she voted says about myself?

34. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 10:19 pm:

Repeating your opponents’ attacks? Really??

I like Halvorson personally, but I recall the gist of what the Tribune had to say about their editorial board meeting with her: Glass Jaw.

Politics is an ugly sport — kinda like Pro Wrestling Guerilla. If you can’t take punches — even low blows — you won’t last long.

35. - k3 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 10:25 pm:

Another 2nd-everyone supports the airport. Time to move on.

Looks like it’s gonna be an ugly few weeks

36. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 8:08 am:

Who is Scott Cisek with?

* Good morning!
* Ginning up the base

* Motorola DROID Turbo vs Moto X 2014 (Video)
        * Microsoft Band unboxing and first impressions (Video)
        * Samsung Galaxy A5 specs
        * Samsung announces the Galaxy A5 and Galaxy A3, its “slimmest smartphones to date”
        * Samsung announces ultra-thin Galaxy A5 and Galaxy A3
        * Metal unibody phones Samsung Galaxy A3, A5 get official announcements
        * Latest Q3 2014 IDC figures show Xiaomi now 3rd in smartphones shipped

* Microsoft Band Sold Out
        * Bing Update Enables Easier Animated GIF Search
        * Amazon Exec Says Fire Phone Price Was Its Downfall
        * Xiaomi Might Develop Budget 9.2” Tablet
        * Smartwatches Could Be Banned From Movie Theaters, Too
        * Google Play Books For Android Updated To Allow Skimming
        * Ambulance Drone Could Help Save Heart Attack Victims

* Minnie Miñoso belongs in the Hall of Fame
        * Development of young core in '15 can define Chicago's future
        * Abreu leads White Sox GIBBY hopefuls with five noms
        * Allen, Wills among new faces on Hall's Golden Era ballot
        * The offseason begins with a new Chicago manager and old arguments
        * World Series Game 7: Notes and discussion