*** UPDATED x1 - Halvorson fires back at Preckwinkle *** Hutchinson announces Senate support

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013

* From a press release…

Senators Koehler, Lightford, Muñoz, Noland, Sandoval, and Steans today announced their endorsement of Toi Hutchinson’s campaign for Congress in the second congressional district today.

“I am a strong supporter of Toi Hutchinson’s, and I have no doubt that she is the best choice to stand up for Illinois in Congress,” said Senator Antonio Muñoz. “Toi Hutchinson is working alongside me to ban assault weapons because she knows how critical gun safety reforms are. Just as she is fighting for these reforms in Springfield, I know she’ll take that fight with her to Washington as well.”

“Toi Hutchinson is exactly the kind of reformer we need to send to Washington,” said Senator Kimberly A. Lightford (D-04). “Toi has always worked hard to protect middle and working class families. Ever since I’ve met her, I’ve been deeply impressed by her passion and commitment—there are few public servants I know who work so tirelessly for the people they represent.”

None of those Senators actually lives in the 2nd District, but it does answer concerns I expressed earlier that Hutchinson wasn’t listing any of her Senate colleagues on her endorsement list.

*** UPDATE *** Halvorson responds to Preckwinkle via press release…

Crete, IL—Debbie Halvorson – Candidate for Illinois’ Second Congressional District- is disappointed in Cook County Board’s President Toni Preckwinkle’s false allegation that she voted against extending unemployment benefits during her two years in Congress. In fact, Halvorson has always voted to extend unemployment benefits.

“It’s unfortunate that the Cook County Board President would make such false claims against my record without checking the facts. I grew up poor and witnessed my father’s struggle to make ends meet. To overcome such odds and vote against extending unemployment benefits to people in need is not reflective of whom I am as a person. I have always voted to extend unemployment benefits. The County Board President is wrong and her allegations are baseless and without merit.” says Halvorson.

Among other false allegations is that Halvorson was somehow anti-Obama by voting in 2010 to extend the Bush tax cuts. But Halvorson was only responding to a phone call she received at her Crete home from President Barack Obama requesting her assistance in gathering her democratic colleagues in the spirit of compromise in voting to extend the Bush Tax cuts.

Halvorson adds, “Voting to extend the Bush Tax cuts was never an option for me. But when my President called me at my home and personally asked me for my support and to lobby my fellow democrats, I did so. It was the spirit of compromise in which President Obama was attempting to achieve. I supported him in that quest. To not honor the President’s request would have been anti-Obama. But again if Toni Preckwinkle wishes to rely upon Toi Hutchinson to provide her with my record, she will only spin herself out of control recanting her statements.

President Preckwinkle also accused Congresswoman Halvorson of not being in support of Wall Street reform. However Debbie voted for the Wall Street reform bill that was supported and signed by President Obama. Halvorson initially voted against the House version of the Wall Street reform bill that was written to penalize small community banks. Halvorson felt that the bill punished smaller banks for the actions of the bigger mainstream banks. But the version in which she voted for and was passed, had the full support of the Obama White House.

1. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

Whoa–she’s really on a roll now. Yet, as (reportedly Front Runner) Halvorson noted yesterday, how much of a difference do these endorsements make in the end, anyway? Hard to tell…

2. - LincolnLounger - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:14 pm:

E-X-T-E-N-T-I-O-N? Yikes.

3. - OneMan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

The Obama call thing is good… Wonder if we will see it in a counter commercial.

4. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

1) Rich, as usual, when you ask a question, especially here for all to see, ironically you get a response! Speaks volumes, Rich, about you and this great place. Awesome!

2) To the post, while the response answers the colleague question, as Rich points out, not one in the 2nd District. Not a real “good” sign when you can’t get in-district support, but this race is so “inside” with all the nuances, how the senators in the district are able to work FOR anyone, or as part of an organization, especially on Election Day is what really interests me.

Whoever can get their ‘pluses’ to the polls, be they caome from colleagues or organizations, or volunteers, that will be one of the major deciding factors. If the endorsements means bodies or votes, than you are really cooking with gas.

5. - Demoralized - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:23 pm:

Not that a Republican would ever win this district but at least they won’t have to spend money coming up with their own attack ads.

6. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 3:44 pm:

Halvorsen is keeping up her “I voted that way because powerful people made me” thing that worked so well explaining her time in Springfield.

And nice use of ALL CAPS in her headlines. Here’s a hint — if you title is about four words, all caps may be OK. If your title is six lines, the all caps make you look sort of bonkers.

7. - Endangered Moderate Species - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:03 pm:

“I voted that way because powerful people made me”

Skeeter, Your comment is a bit of a stretch from what has actually been said by Halvorson. Are you able to maintain a straight face while scrutinizing others about the use of capital letters in a message?

8. - El tercero - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:03 pm:

Sandoval and Munoz? That means Toi hires Victor Reyes’ firm in 3, 2 . . . .

9. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:04 pm:

Halvorson’s fact checking is as bad as her spelling. She voted against the unemployment extension rule in 2010. It’s right here:

She voted against a budget that repealed the Bush tax cuts (, and she voted against raising the estate tax (

I invite anyone interested to check said facts, here:

10. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:08 pm:

Actually, it isn’t. Did you check out her self-published work? She’s used that for just about every vote that has come back to bite her.

Also, I use ALL CAPS ironically. Or, on rare occasions, to get through to particularly stupid people.

Are you claims Halvorsen is being ironic, or she thinks the press is particularly slow witted?

11. - Endangered Moderate Species - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:16 pm:

Skeeter, Being asked for support by the President is not the same as your fictional quote, “I voted that way because powerful people made me”. Your comment seems to be an example of throwing mud with the hope that some may stick.

12. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:19 pm:

Maybe you can flesh that one out, EM.

Because “I voted that way because the President asked” and “I voted that way because powerful people made me” sounds pretty similar to me.

Under either, she’s trying to say that she really really really wanted to vote the other way but felt she had no choice.

13. - low level bureacrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:33 pm:

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but Will - at least tell the whole truth - such as it is. She voted no on the rule to bring it to the floor, but did vote for final passage.

14. - just sayin' - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:37 pm:

This race is gonna get ugly.

If Eugene Pincham was still alive I wonder if they’d drag him out to attack Halverson too.

15. - Commonsense in Illinois - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:44 pm:

Uh folks, from the flight deck…looks like we’re gonna be in for some moderate turbulence during our flight, so I’m gonna turn on the seat belt sign and ask our attendants to cease our service in the cabin and strap in. We’ll try to find some smoother air, but air traffic control just told us its unlikely we’ll be able to do so anytime soon, so just try to relax.

16. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:44 pm:

This post sponsored by Plummer2015orsomethinglikethat

17. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 4:57 pm:

Low level bureaucrat, it is the very definition of not my problem when Halvorson claims she “always” voted for UI when she did not. She’d know that if she had a decent researcher on board.

18. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:02 pm:

===This post sponsored by Plummer2015orsomethinglikethat===

- AA -, Well done! I spit up my milk!

19. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:08 pm:

- Will Caskey -

Can’t remember, do you have a dog in this fight?

just asking….

20. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:11 pm:

I do! I am on board with Team Hutchinson:

21. - Muffin Man - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:11 pm:

If Halvorson is correct in her rebuttal of Preckwinkle’s comments, then why doesn’t Debbie simply ask her friend Barack Obama to issue a statement clarifying what his thoughts on Debbie are or were? She went to bat for him (or so she says?) so certainly he would be happy to take 2 minutes out of his busy schedule to “clear things up” for Debbie via a simple press release.
    Tide detergent should be able to remove those tire tread markings from the bus from the back of Debbie’s dress.

22. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:15 pm:

- Will Caskey -

Thank you.

Best of luck.

23. - Another 2nd District Voter - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:20 pm:

I’m waiting for these candidates to tell the voters what they think about Peotone International.

Do Hutchinson & Halvorson still want it?

Does Kelly want it?

Just say no.

24. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 5:39 pm:

That was for you Willy.

Sorry about the milk.

25. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:20 pm:

- AA -,

Worth the milk!

I should know better when reading your posts!

26. - railrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:35 pm:

o willy you and rich need to get a room !!! sheesh… notice Todds gone dark on this issue???

27. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

- railrat -,

With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy

(take with the same as you are giving)

28. - Six Degrees of Separation - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

2nd district voter…

Since Peotone is such a non-issue to the great majority of voters in the 2nd (or way down on the list of priorities), don’t be surprised by the non-addressing of it by the candidates. For the locals who do care, they tend to fall into 3 camps anyway: die-hard opponents (mostly around it or in it), boosters (to the north and west), and those who are somewhat against it but want to cut the best deal they can if it happens, and they are skeptical it ever will happen in their lifetime (probably a bigger group than the other two). Not a scientific poll, but my sense in knowing the area.

29. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:28 pm:

Six, Thanks for the insight. I asked a closely related question on another post.

30. - railrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:34 pm:

-willy-, since your a follower of golf, Carl Spackler “I’d keep playing,I don’t think the heavy stuff will come down for a while”

31. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:37 pm:

Halvorson grew up in a family barely making end meet. She would not vote against the kind of folks who raised her.

The accusations are disgusting and speak volumes about her opponents.

32. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 7:42 pm:

- railrat -,

I could beak the club record, theoretically.

We’re all good

33. - Will Caskey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 9:44 pm:

VanillaMan that is hilarious. On the one hand I have how Halvorson, like, voted. On the other you’re pretty sure she would never vote that way because of something or other about her childhood.

Anyway, I’m right here buddy. You care to elaborate on what me looking up how she voted says about myself?

34. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 10:19 pm:

Repeating your opponents’ attacks? Really??

I like Halvorson personally, but I recall the gist of what the Tribune had to say about their editorial board meeting with her: Glass Jaw.

Politics is an ugly sport — kinda like Pro Wrestling Guerilla. If you can’t take punches — even low blows — you won’t last long.

35. - k3 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 13 @ 10:25 pm:

Another 2nd-everyone supports the airport. Time to move on.

Looks like it’s gonna be an ugly few weeks

36. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Wednesday, Jan 30, 13 @ 8:08 am:

Who is Scott Cisek with?

* Local media doing its job right
* "It's just not possible"
* Today's number: 7 years
* I'd pay to see this ad
* The Democrats' year of the woman
* Too poor to make bail
* Don't even think about it
* Debaters showed more spark than the Cubs last night
* Cloonen ad lands on USA Today's "five worst"
* *** UPDATED x3 - Breast cancer task force responds *** I kinda doubt he'll take this question
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* [TA Deals] Get 1TB of cloud storage for life for $39
* YouTube launches mobile-friendly “End Screens” feature to keep viewers watching more video
* Stylish, hybrid Emporio Armani Connected smartwatch starts at $245
* LG V20 Real Audio Review: The headphone king?
* Twitter finally stops counting usernames against reply character limits
* Maybe we know what the OnePlus 3T will cost
* Three iPhone 8 models expected for next year

* White Sox developing promising OF prospects
* Podcast: 2016 White Sox Outfield Review
* mikecws91's Offseason Plan
* The ten best developments of the 2016 White Sox season
* KenWo4LiFe's off-season plan
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues

* Comptroller Munger Dodges Public Support of Tru.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Debaters showed more spark than the Cubs last n.....
* Rep. Brady campaigns in hopes of removing Dems .....
* Illinois Comptroller Candidates Square Off In T.....

* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Looming deadline: Small businesses prep for overtime rules

* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget
* Survey: 386 state jobs could relocate to Springfield

* Joffrey Ballet goes to Stanford—but not to perform
* Here's one problem McDonald's CEO hasn't solved
* Who's winning the U.S. business class cabin showdown?
* Sears sweetens rewards for MasterCard loyalty customers
* A slew of good reasons to get up and out this week

* Contreras, Soler in Cubs lineup for Game 2 of World Series
* Wrigley peddling ban relaxed, but plaza sidewalks included
* ‘Small World’ animatronic doll part of new Disney auction
* Phil Kadner: When election is over, how will we live together?
* Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson endorses Clinton
* Jimmy Butler is doing his best to ignore the outside pessimism
* Overturned truck in Little Village causes power outage
* Taco Fridays? Forsling, Rasmussen find their way in U.S. together
* Downers Grove man charged in overdose death of 15-year-old girl
* Ford recalls nearly 412K SUVs to fix fuel leaks

* Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star destroyed
* Man charged in DuPage with drug death of 15-year-old exchange student from Spain
* At least 20 inmates, 2 correctional officers hurt in Cook County Jail fight
* Chicago Innovation Awards honors more diverse roster at annual event
* Philip Glass, winner of 2016 Tribune Literary Award, reflects on a life well composed
* Unclaimed Illinois Lottery ticket worth $100,000 about to expire
* 18-year-old wanted in armed robbery is arrested in Lake County, officials say
* Jay Cutler's seeming swan song with Bears more like audition for others
* 'Razor Blade Suicide Wound' makeup is latest 2016 costume to cause furor

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Our Opinion: LaHood endorsed in 18th Congressional District
* Leroy Jordan: Race Riot site must be preserved, taught to students
* E.J. Dionne: Trump is not a GOP aberration
* Michael Gerson: Where the new right has failed
* Esther Cepeda: The anger and resentment stoked by Trump will persist after Election Day
* Our Opinion: Endorsing Bourne, DelGiorno for the Illinois House
* Kathleen Parker: You can dress him up, but Trump is Trump
* Our Opinion: Leslie Munger endorsed for Illinois comptroller
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect

* Schock agrees to $10,000 fine to settle FEC case
* Power restored to 6,800 Corn Belt customers
* Power out for 6,800 Corn Belt customers
* Noon update: Justin Bieber in the Q-C, Cubs play early and weekend options
* Freeman Spur man found guilty of sexual assault of a child
* 2 years in prison for Rantoul man who struck motorcycle
* Daily Digest 10/26/16
* United Way hosts 'Top Chef' favorite at Derby Party
* Murphysboro shooting victim dies, suspect still sought
* Iraqi forces evacuate 1,000 civilians from Mosul front lines

* Molex completes acquisition of Phillips-Medisize
* Northwest suburban police blotter
* No injuries in fire at Sonic in Palatine
* New ideas gauge who's ready for college
* Hot visuals, dense plot fuel Ron Howard's 'Inferno'

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin addresses Will County's heroin prob......
* Durbin addresses Will County's heroin prob......

* Clinton takes fight to Arizona, long a Rep......
* Ayotte, Kirk repudiate claw back of soldie......
* Kirk Backs Off Write-In Vote For Petraeus ......

* Idle speculation
* Idle speculation: downtown Brunswick, Pierce School
* Local Advocates Push For Bail Reform As Cook County Faces Class-Action Lawsuit
* Report: Major Retailers Lagging On Organic Produce
* Cook County Officials Set Public Hearing On Pretrial Detention, Bond Court Practices
* Cartoon of the Day - 10/24/16 Cubs win
* Chicagoans Protest Against Donald Trump, Walmart
* Protesters Hold 'Anti-Trump, Anti-Walmart' Rally In Chicago
* Injunction Decision Delayed In Chicago City Council Open Meetings Case
* Green Party Makes Play For Illinois Votes As Election Day Nears

* Governor’s Children’s Cabinet Makes Lead Poisoning Prevention A Priority - October 23-30, 2016 - National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
* Illinois EPA Sponsors Interactive Environmental Education Event with Riverton Elementary School - Riverton Third and Fourth Graders “Dive In!” to Celebrate the Environment
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Honors Veteran Mr. George Pempek
* Annual Training Underway For Gas Station Owners, Service Technicans
* Governor Rauner Announces Recommendations from Health Care Fraud Elimination Task Force Report