The Daily Bust

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013

* So, I saw this headline on Drudge while I was out of town over the weekend…

I smirked, then clicked on the link to what turned out to be a Daily Beast story. The lede

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is said by well-connected Democrats to be considering the idea of running for president if Hillary Clinton opts out of the 2016 race.

Then I read way down into the story to see just who was saying such things

“I heard there were some conversations with donors especially during the inauguration,” a well-known Democratic politico told The Daily Beast, referring to the January 20-21 celebrations in Washington marking the launch of President Obama’s second term. A second highly placed Democrat echoed that account.

Um, OK. Two guys say they heard some scuttlebutt at the inauguration.

* The Sun-Times took it seriously

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is taking on chores for President Barack Obama’s new political operation as the president hits Chicago on Friday to sell his second term agenda, and City Hall on Thursday night was scrambling to throw cold water on a report Emanuel is interested in a White House bid.

* Meanwhile, the Daily Beast also interviewed Roland Burris. The article’s description of the man

Burris, an understated and often overlooked Illinois pol

Understated?

What?

* Among other things, Burris told the Daily Beast about the downsides to his US Senate service

The commute, for one (not like in Illinois, he noted, when he got to fly to Springfield on state aircraft) and the fact that “there was no per diem. Financially, it was not very rewarding for me at all. You are on your own for expenses. And getting out of O’Hare on commercial airlines.”

* But he’s ready to go back

Still, he adds, “if there is another vacancy, I would love to go there for a short time again. If something happens to one of our senators, and the governor wants to appoint me, I would love to go back.”

I’m sure he would.

1. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:51 am:

Perhaps we can pass the hat for good old Roland?

The man’s sense of public duty and service knows no bounds.

2. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:51 am:

Breaking News: Ambitious Politician Considers Running for President

3. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:53 am:

That Daily Beast editor must be a soft touch to buy a pitch for a Roland Burris update.

4. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:59 am:

5. - Adam Smith - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:00 pm:

Poor Roland may not have figured it out, but Senators (and House members) get a big huge pile of money that covers, among other things, all their flights to and from DC. And it’s not very hard to get one of the dozens of paid lakeys on staff to drive you to and from the airport.

In addition, at both O’Hare and Reagan they have a sweet little operation called “special services” that provides escorts through the terminal and a tucked away place to sit away from the rabble (not all members take advantage). They can even hold flights in some instances.

Maybe poor old Roland just put his flights on his credit card and took cabs to the airport and never figured any of this out. Of course, he didn’t seem to figure out much else in DC either.

6. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:02 pm:

Hate to see what he had to say if he got there before the pay raise to $174,000 kicked in during 2009.

How would Roland “Mogul” Burris have made ends meet on only $169,300?

Lest we forget, the U.S. also covered his official office expenses, staff, mail, travel between Illinois - Washington, and few other things.

Who knew his private life was so lucrative just prior to being appointed Senator?

Such a burden. Such a sacrifice. Such a pity.

7. - Boone's is Back - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:03 pm:

Ready the tombstone!

8. - titan - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:11 pm:

Isn’t that line already filled on the mausoleum?

9. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:12 pm:

Emptiest of the empty suits

10. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

Drudge going “Godfather” on Rahm?

He does look like Michael in the Part III now … and we all know how “good” Part III was … Donnie Brasco gives a great review, “Sometimes, ‘Fogetta bout it’ means … ‘fogetta bout it’ …”

This was your Godfather III review … by Donnie Brasco.

11. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:16 pm:

To Roland Burris;

I would not mind one bit if Senator Burris made it back to the senate. The comedy and self-serving was priceless.

I just hope ANY OTHER STATE but Illinois sends him to the Senate…

12. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:17 pm:

Rahm should be worried about reelection.
    He’s got a ton of money but little in accomplishments.
    Those jobs announcements are nice and a fine way to get coverage, but unemployment is still way too high and his handpicked choice is doing a pretty lousy job keeping us safe.
    Hopefully he went to D.C. to ask Sen. Durbin for some recommendations for a new top cop.

13. - LisleMike - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

Wow! Being one of the 100 most powerful men in the world isn’t enough….need that per diem to sweeten the pot. Cabinet appointments? Nah, need per diem. Treaties, what’s in it for me, it cost me to get here. UGH!

14. - zatoichi - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

Rahm, Booker, Biden, Cuomo, O’Malley, Patrick. It could be a nice slugfest. Fox would be giddy.

15. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

Who inherits Obama’s campaign machine if he runs?

Bill and Hillary have also done a lot for him.

The President may wash his hands of the ordeal. Axelrod, Messina, Cutter and company won’t sit permanently on the sidelines, however.

For all we know, Rahm may have most of the core on board with him already.

Or it may be addle-minded speculation based on a couple of guys who overheard another couple of guys at a thing sometime around mid-January out East somewhere.

Sometimes these stories just write themselves.

16. - Langhorne - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:31 pm:

How can we overlook him, if he won’t go away? And when he does float back up, he is whining about the job he wants to be reappointed to. Maybe he is secretly working for bill Brady, so he can be appointed by governors of both parties. It will take more space on the mausoleum , but that’s what trailblazers do.

17. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:34 pm:

Senator Burris’ First Week Statemesnt/Questions shed some light on the per diem resonse …

“I would like to charge this meal to Sen. Durbin if I may …”

“My senate parking spot, is that by the hour, or by the vote?”

“If I just have a jacket, or even an oveercoat, is it a cheaper coat check in that thing … um … Cloak Room?”

“Yes, I did try and call this ‘Frank’ about sending free mail, but they say I have to sign, what is that all about?”

“The Senate Gym is more expensive then Bally’s”

“Dose the senate offer ’season passes’ for the pool, or can I ‘pay as I go’?”

“You mean there is not a ’shuttle’ back to Chicago? You sure?”

“If I go to a colleague’s fundraiser, you are telling me they expect me to pay? They know who I am, right?”

“Does the senate barber have a ‘frequent customer’ card so I can get the 5th cut free, or how does all that work?”

“I would like to be in every working group possible, and who usually caters those committees?”

“How many candy bars can I get with my ’session pay’?”

“No, I am sure it would be okay with him, just tell President Obama to hit me up on the Blackberry he uses when he flies home on Air Force One.”

18. - The KQ - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

Dupage Dan said “Extra, extra, Long Chevrolet in Elmhurst is your bargain dealer - extra extra, Roland Burris is ready to go back to the Senate, extra extra, Rahm Emanuel is ambitious, extra extra, the kid gets a pie in the face.”

Thanks for bringing back an awesome memory of my Dad who passed a long time ago. We used to watch WGN on Sunday mornings when this commercial was on. I have never seen him laugh so hard as when that annoying kid got a pie in his face. Thanks!

19. - Because I said so... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:36 pm:

Roland Burris would make a great ongoing character in a Second City skit.

20. - siriusly - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

Because we can’t find anyone else who wants to “serve us” as our Senator. Thank you for volunteering Roland. Don’t sit by the phone.

21. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:31 pm:

It appears we are in the midst of advertising royalty, ladies and gents.

Those unfamiliar with KQ & DuPage Dan’s reference can see the commercial at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftCVZPeE6U8

And an old Zorn take on it from the 90’s: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-01-23/news/9001060753_1_dealership-cars-commercials

22. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:37 pm:

My mistake. Thought The KQ was saying her Dad was the owner of Long Chevrolet and they would watch the commercials together.

Still an amusing view.

As someone who snarkily criticized Debbie Halvorson’s reading comprehension in a separate post after she deliberately twisted Rich’s words, I am now the one with pie on my face.

23. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:39 pm:

Meant to type “his or her Dad”.

Mmmmmm. Takes like custard.

24. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:42 pm:

takes = tastes.

That’s it. Apparently the thought of pie is too much for my brain to handle. I am banning myself from CapFax for the rest of the day. ^seriously^.

And quite possibly changing my handle to “TheUnintentionalThreadKiller”. See ya round.

FKA out.

25. - x ace - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:44 pm:

Spring Training just starting and “Willy” hits a Home Run.

26. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

- x ace -,

I thank you.

27. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:15 pm:

–This was your Godfather III review … by Donnie Brasco. –

No Tom Hagen, no Robert Duvall, cut from the original script because he wanted equal billing and pay with Pacino. Character killed off, right-hand-man replaced by someone called BJ, played by George Hamilton, and screenplay totally changed.

Sigh.

Francis needed the money. “Apocalypse Now,” which did not do huge box office in its initial run, had ruined him financially, as he personally ate a lot of the costs for the massive overruns.

The movie is very popular in Italy, as the main storyline is inspired by the Vatican Bank scandal of the early 80s.

Archbishop Gilday is clearly modeled on Cicero’s own Archbishop Paul Marcinkus (head of Vatican Bank). Keinzig, the banker, is modeled on the swindler Roberto Calvi of Banco Ambrosiano, who was found hanged from the Blackfriars Bridge in London. And Don Luchessi is based on Giulo Andreotti, a mobbed-up former prime minister of Italy.

There is a cottage industry in Italy of conspiracy books and films alleging that Pope John Paul I was murdered because he was going to blow the whistle on the Vatican Bank’s money-laundering for the Mafia — all of which came out later.

28. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:36 pm:

===Paramount threw him a lifeline with “III”, which he never wanted to do, and gave him a year to write, cast and film.

For all its shortcomings, I still find it compelling, for nothing else but Michael’s quest for redemption, and his tearful confession for killing Fredo.===

Now, - wordslinger -, if you give me the choice of comparing “I” & “II” to “III”, or, have “III” as a “stand alone”, away from the Academy Award winning “I” and “II”, you are spot on…

The Pope John Paul I conspiracy is still huge, that I can vouch for in the Faith. There was Part 2 of that, choosing Karol Cardinal Wojtyla as a “young” Pope, not interested in “those things”…

JPII just helped end the Cold War, bringing down Communism, and reshaping the Papacy with his longevitiy.

As for Robert Duvall, how good could “III” have been with Tom Hagen. George Hamilton? A great example on how casting can change a film’s tone and tenor.

29. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

Willy, just think if George had made it into I.
    “Leave the gun, take the Coppertone.”

30. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:52 pm:

More or less back to the post, how is the beast going to survive if they keep peddling that kind of tripe? Getting Drudge links is usually not too great anyway, but they have really gone downhill lately. When you read Gawker or the like, you know what you’re getting. The Beast-meh.

31. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:53 pm:

- AA - …lol

“Sun burn? You won’t see ‘dat’ no more …”

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:58 pm:

When Duvall wanted too much money, they rewrote to bring in the Don Altobelli character played by Eli Wallach.

33. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:59 pm:

I guess the the Daily Beast considers Burris the got to guy on vacant Illinois Congressional seats.

He’s overlooked for a reason, guys…

34. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:05 pm:

===Willie, AA, the making of “III” is much more intriguing than the movie itself. Over a decade, it involved everyone in Hollywood, more or less, in one way or the other.

From what I’ve read, the last screenplay involving the Tom Hagen character had him betraying Michael to the Sicilian Mafia.===

Great stuff, thanks for the “heads up”, I need to make a point and look further…

Sitting on my desk is the “Toots” doc… Thank goodness Netflix doesn’t charge “late fees”. Looking for 90 quiet minutes has been difficult in the past couple weeks.

35. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

Word, I am going to have to read up on that drama drama. Sounds interesting.
    With the papal succession, I’ve been reading about some of the intrigue around JPI as well. Intriguing and unlikely we will ever know the story.

36. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:12 pm:

Following - AA -’s lead,

“To the Post”

“Sources close to…” …really? The newly minted POTUS has his own things to worry about, and Rahm and his re-election notwithstanding, who starts ginning up a Presidential Run for Rahm with so much going for both men, and how the troubles of Rahm and his city are tarnishing the beginning of the 2nd term …

Well, at least the picture looks cool …

37. - Responsa - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:41 pm:

Well you can’t blame Drudge. The Rahm “story” was right there on a low branch ready and ripe for the picken’. Somebody in Dem circles for some political reason wanted that out there and got it placed in the Daily Beast.

38. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 5:48 pm:

Regarding Drudge. I won’t forget his scoop by two people who told him the day Sidney Blumenthal was to begin as Chief of Staff to President Clinton and that Sidney beats the living crap out of his wife. Breaks her teeth, bruises her real good. Two people told him that so it must be true.

Sidney won his lawsuit by the way.

39. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 7:50 pm:

“Being one of the 100 most powerful men in the world isn’t enough…”

Shhh…isn’t that what we’re supposed to tell those we’re trying to recruit or who are still on the fence about running?

* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* Apple’s iPad Update Plans Could Put Gold First And Offer 12.9″ Model For 2015
        * Samsung rolls out selfie-focused Galaxy Grand Prime in India
        * PopKey’s Animated GIF Keyboard For iOS 8 Is The One You Should Be Using
        * Call the plumber: How to teach Siri about your relationships
        * Pebble adds health and fitness apps, more retail stores
        * Berlin-Based Adtech Startup Remerge Raises $1M For Its Mobile App Marketing Platform
        * Google Play Store now shows IAP price range, dev address

* Flix Plus Customizes Netflix to Your Heart's Desire
        * Virtual Reality Dexmo ExoskeletonGlove Lets You Touch In VR Environments
        * White BlackBerry Passport Launching In November
        * Swarm Drones Take Flight on Indiegogo
        * FreedomPop starts making its own low-cost smartphones, starting with a 7-inch phablet
        * Un-Complicating Conference Calls: UberConference
        * Adam Savage's Recommendations for a Beginner Toolbox

* Guide to American League rooting interests for White Sox fans
        * Anderson, Edwards prospects to watch in AFL
        * Manager notes: How Robin Ventura and Chris Sale get along
        * Voting underway to decide Hank Aaron Awards
        * Development of young core in '15 can define Chicago's future
        * Improved White Sox take important step in 2014
        * September call-ups report card: position players