The Daily Bust

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013

* So, I saw this headline on Drudge while I was out of town over the weekend…

I smirked, then clicked on the link to what turned out to be a Daily Beast story. The lede

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is said by well-connected Democrats to be considering the idea of running for president if Hillary Clinton opts out of the 2016 race.

Then I read way down into the story to see just who was saying such things

“I heard there were some conversations with donors especially during the inauguration,” a well-known Democratic politico told The Daily Beast, referring to the January 20-21 celebrations in Washington marking the launch of President Obama’s second term. A second highly placed Democrat echoed that account.

Um, OK. Two guys say they heard some scuttlebutt at the inauguration.

* The Sun-Times took it seriously

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is taking on chores for President Barack Obama’s new political operation as the president hits Chicago on Friday to sell his second term agenda, and City Hall on Thursday night was scrambling to throw cold water on a report Emanuel is interested in a White House bid.

* Meanwhile, the Daily Beast also interviewed Roland Burris. The article’s description of the man

Burris, an understated and often overlooked Illinois pol

* Among other things, Burris told the Daily Beast about the downsides to his US Senate service

The commute, for one (not like in Illinois, he noted, when he got to fly to Springfield on state aircraft) and the fact that “there was no per diem. Financially, it was not very rewarding for me at all. You are on your own for expenses. And getting out of O’Hare on commercial airlines.”

* But he’s ready to go back

Still, he adds, “if there is another vacancy, I would love to go there for a short time again. If something happens to one of our senators, and the governor wants to appoint me, I would love to go back.”

I’m sure he would.

1. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:51 am:

Perhaps we can pass the hat for good old Roland?

The man’s sense of public duty and service knows no bounds.

2. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:51 am:

Breaking News: Ambitious Politician Considers Running for President

3. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:53 am:

That Daily Beast editor must be a soft touch to buy a pitch for a Roland Burris update.

4. - dupage dan - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 11:59 am:

5. - Adam Smith - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:00 pm:

Poor Roland may not have figured it out, but Senators (and House members) get a big huge pile of money that covers, among other things, all their flights to and from DC. And it’s not very hard to get one of the dozens of paid lakeys on staff to drive you to and from the airport.

In addition, at both O’Hare and Reagan they have a sweet little operation called “special services” that provides escorts through the terminal and a tucked away place to sit away from the rabble (not all members take advantage). They can even hold flights in some instances.

Maybe poor old Roland just put his flights on his credit card and took cabs to the airport and never figured any of this out. Of course, he didn’t seem to figure out much else in DC either.

6. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:02 pm:

Hate to see what he had to say if he got there before the pay raise to $174,000 kicked in during 2009.

How would Roland “Mogul” Burris have made ends meet on only $169,300?

Lest we forget, the U.S. also covered his official office expenses, staff, mail, travel between Illinois - Washington, and few other things.

Who knew his private life was so lucrative just prior to being appointed Senator?

Such a burden. Such a sacrifice. Such a pity.

7. - Boone's is Back - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:03 pm:

Ready the tombstone!

8. - titan - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:11 pm:

Isn’t that line already filled on the mausoleum?

9. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:12 pm:

Emptiest of the empty suits

10. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

Drudge going “Godfather” on Rahm?

He does look like Michael in the Part III now … and we all know how “good” Part III was … Donnie Brasco gives a great review, “Sometimes, ‘Fogetta bout it’ means … ‘fogetta bout it’ …”

This was your Godfather III review … by Donnie Brasco.

11. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:16 pm:

To Roland Burris;

I would not mind one bit if Senator Burris made it back to the senate. The comedy and self-serving was priceless.

I just hope ANY OTHER STATE but Illinois sends him to the Senate…

12. - Skeeter - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:17 pm:

Rahm should be worried about reelection.
    He’s got a ton of money but little in accomplishments.
    Those jobs announcements are nice and a fine way to get coverage, but unemployment is still way too high and his handpicked choice is doing a pretty lousy job keeping us safe.
    Hopefully he went to D.C. to ask Sen. Durbin for some recommendations for a new top cop.

13. - LisleMike - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

Wow! Being one of the 100 most powerful men in the world isn’t enough….need that per diem to sweeten the pot. Cabinet appointments? Nah, need per diem. Treaties, what’s in it for me, it cost me to get here. UGH!

14. - zatoichi - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

Rahm, Booker, Biden, Cuomo, O’Malley, Patrick. It could be a nice slugfest. Fox would be giddy.

15. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

Who inherits Obama’s campaign machine if he runs?

Bill and Hillary have also done a lot for him.

The President may wash his hands of the ordeal. Axelrod, Messina, Cutter and company won’t sit permanently on the sidelines, however.

For all we know, Rahm may have most of the core on board with him already.

Or it may be addle-minded speculation based on a couple of guys who overheard another couple of guys at a thing sometime around mid-January out East somewhere.

Sometimes these stories just write themselves.

16. - Langhorne - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:31 pm:

How can we overlook him, if he won’t go away? And when he does float back up, he is whining about the job he wants to be reappointed to. Maybe he is secretly working for bill Brady, so he can be appointed by governors of both parties. It will take more space on the mausoleum , but that’s what trailblazers do.

17. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:34 pm:

Senator Burris’ First Week Statemesnt/Questions shed some light on the per diem resonse …

“I would like to charge this meal to Sen. Durbin if I may …”

“My senate parking spot, is that by the hour, or by the vote?”

“If I just have a jacket, or even an oveercoat, is it a cheaper coat check in that thing … um … Cloak Room?”

“Yes, I did try and call this ‘Frank’ about sending free mail, but they say I have to sign, what is that all about?”

“The Senate Gym is more expensive then Bally’s”

“Dose the senate offer ’season passes’ for the pool, or can I ‘pay as I go’?”

“You mean there is not a ’shuttle’ back to Chicago? You sure?”

“If I go to a colleague’s fundraiser, you are telling me they expect me to pay? They know who I am, right?”

“Does the senate barber have a ‘frequent customer’ card so I can get the 5th cut free, or how does all that work?”

“I would like to be in every working group possible, and who usually caters those committees?”

“How many candy bars can I get with my ’session pay’?”

“No, I am sure it would be okay with him, just tell President Obama to hit me up on the Blackberry he uses when he flies home on Air Force One.”

18. - The KQ - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:35 pm:

Dupage Dan said “Extra, extra, Long Chevrolet in Elmhurst is your bargain dealer - extra extra, Roland Burris is ready to go back to the Senate, extra extra, Rahm Emanuel is ambitious, extra extra, the kid gets a pie in the face.”

Thanks for bringing back an awesome memory of my Dad who passed a long time ago. We used to watch WGN on Sunday mornings when this commercial was on. I have never seen him laugh so hard as when that annoying kid got a pie in his face. Thanks!

19. - Because I said so... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:36 pm:

Roland Burris would make a great ongoing character in a Second City skit.

20. - siriusly - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

Because we can’t find anyone else who wants to “serve us” as our Senator. Thank you for volunteering Roland. Don’t sit by the phone.

21. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:31 pm:

It appears we are in the midst of advertising royalty, ladies and gents.

Those unfamiliar with KQ & DuPage Dan’s reference can see the commercial at:

And an old Zorn take on it from the 90’s:

22. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:37 pm:

My mistake. Thought The KQ was saying her Dad was the owner of Long Chevrolet and they would watch the commercials together.

Still an amusing view.

As someone who snarkily criticized Debbie Halvorson’s reading comprehension in a separate post after she deliberately twisted Rich’s words, I am now the one with pie on my face.

23. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:39 pm:

Meant to type “his or her Dad”.

Mmmmmm. Takes like custard.

24. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:42 pm:

takes = tastes.

That’s it. Apparently the thought of pie is too much for my brain to handle. I am banning myself from CapFax for the rest of the day. ^seriously^.

And quite possibly changing my handle to “TheUnintentionalThreadKiller”. See ya round.

FKA out.

25. - x ace - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 1:44 pm:

Spring Training just starting and “Willy” hits a Home Run.

26. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:11 pm:

- x ace -,

I thank you.

27. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:15 pm:

–This was your Godfather III review … by Donnie Brasco. –

No Tom Hagen, no Robert Duvall, cut from the original script because he wanted equal billing and pay with Pacino. Character killed off, right-hand-man replaced by someone called BJ, played by George Hamilton, and screenplay totally changed.

Francis needed the money. “Apocalypse Now,” which did not do huge box office in its initial run, had ruined him financially, as he personally ate a lot of the costs for the massive overruns.

The movie is very popular in Italy, as the main storyline is inspired by the Vatican Bank scandal of the early 80s.

Archbishop Gilday is clearly modeled on Cicero’s own Archbishop Paul Marcinkus (head of Vatican Bank). Keinzig, the banker, is modeled on the swindler Roberto Calvi of Banco Ambrosiano, who was found hanged from the Blackfriars Bridge in London. And Don Luchessi is based on Giulo Andreotti, a mobbed-up former prime minister of Italy.

There is a cottage industry in Italy of conspiracy books and films alleging that Pope John Paul I was murdered because he was going to blow the whistle on the Vatican Bank’s money-laundering for the Mafia — all of which came out later.

28. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:36 pm:

===Paramount threw him a lifeline with “III”, which he never wanted to do, and gave him a year to write, cast and film.

For all its shortcomings, I still find it compelling, for nothing else but Michael’s quest for redemption, and his tearful confession for killing Fredo.===

Now, - wordslinger -, if you give me the choice of comparing “I” & “II” to “III”, or, have “III” as a “stand alone”, away from the Academy Award winning “I” and “II”, you are spot on…

The Pope John Paul I conspiracy is still huge, that I can vouch for in the Faith. There was Part 2 of that, choosing Karol Cardinal Wojtyla as a “young” Pope, not interested in “those things”…

JPII just helped end the Cold War, bringing down Communism, and reshaping the Papacy with his longevitiy.

As for Robert Duvall, how good could “III” have been with Tom Hagen. George Hamilton? A great example on how casting can change a film’s tone and tenor.

29. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

Willy, just think if George had made it into I.
    “Leave the gun, take the Coppertone.”

30. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:52 pm:

More or less back to the post, how is the beast going to survive if they keep peddling that kind of tripe? Getting Drudge links is usually not too great anyway, but they have really gone downhill lately. When you read Gawker or the like, you know what you’re getting. The Beast-meh.

31. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:53 pm:

- AA - …lol

“Sun burn? You won’t see ‘dat’ no more …”

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:58 pm:

When Duvall wanted too much money, they rewrote to bring in the Don Altobelli character played by Eli Wallach.

33. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 2:59 pm:

I guess the the Daily Beast considers Burris the got to guy on vacant Illinois Congressional seats.

He’s overlooked for a reason, guys…

34. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:05 pm:

===Willie, AA, the making of “III” is much more intriguing than the movie itself. Over a decade, it involved everyone in Hollywood, more or less, in one way or the other.

From what I’ve read, the last screenplay involving the Tom Hagen character had him betraying Michael to the Sicilian Mafia.===

Great stuff, thanks for the “heads up”, I need to make a point and look further…

Sitting on my desk is the “Toots” doc… Thank goodness Netflix doesn’t charge “late fees”. Looking for 90 quiet minutes has been difficult in the past couple weeks.

35. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

Word, I am going to have to read up on that drama drama. Sounds interesting.
    With the papal succession, I’ve been reading about some of the intrigue around JPI as well. Intriguing and unlikely we will ever know the story.

36. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:12 pm:

Following - AA -’s lead,

“To the Post”

“Sources close to…” …really? The newly minted POTUS has his own things to worry about, and Rahm and his re-election notwithstanding, who starts ginning up a Presidential Run for Rahm with so much going for both men, and how the troubles of Rahm and his city are tarnishing the beginning of the 2nd term …

Well, at least the picture looks cool …

37. - Responsa - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 3:41 pm:

Well you can’t blame Drudge. The Rahm “story” was right there on a low branch ready and ripe for the picken’. Somebody in Dem circles for some political reason wanted that out there and got it placed in the Daily Beast.

38. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 5:48 pm:

Regarding Drudge. I won’t forget his scoop by two people who told him the day Sidney Blumenthal was to begin as Chief of Staff to President Clinton and that Sidney beats the living crap out of his wife. Breaks her teeth, bruises her real good. Two people told him that so it must be true.

Sidney won his lawsuit by the way.

39. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 19, 13 @ 7:50 pm:

“Being one of the 100 most powerful men in the world isn’t enough…”

Shhh…isn’t that what we’re supposed to tell those we’re trying to recruit or who are still on the fence about running?

* The clown show strikes again
* Here we go again
* Local media doing its job right
* "It's just not possible"
* Today's number: 7 years
* I'd pay to see this ad
* The Democrats' year of the woman
* Too poor to make bail
* Don't even think about it
* Debaters showed more spark than the Cubs last night
* Cloonen ad lands on USA Today's "five worst"
* *** UPDATED x4 - Rauner admin response - Breast cancer task force responds *** I kinda doubt he'll take this question
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* Galaxy Note 7 aftermath: lowest Samsung profits in two years, worst mobile quarter in nearly eight
* Consider a Surface Ergonomic Keyboard with that Surface Studio
* Apple AirPods ETA up in the air, Beats Wireless sets available
* HTC continues to struggle financially in latest report for 3rd quarter
* Verizon acquires subscription video service Vessel, will shut it down on Oct. 31
* Google Allo 2.0 update really for Android 7.0 phones
* [Video] Unboxing the Lenovo Yoga Book

* White Sox developing promising OF prospects
* Podcast: 2016 White Sox Outfield Review
* mikecws91's Offseason Plan
* The ten best developments of the 2016 White Sox season
* KenWo4LiFe's off-season plan
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues

* Illinois governor pours in nearly $46 million a.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....

* Arrieta deals, Cubs awaken, top Indians to even Series at 1
* World Series spotlight shifts to Chicago and Wrigley Field
* View from bench: Former Supreme Court justice roots for Cubs
* Oil pipeline protesters brace for confrontation with police
* Arrieta deals, Cubs awaken, top Indians to even Series at 1
* Chicago-area man charged with trying to kill officers
* Buffett foundation gives $15M for police training center
* Illinois attorney general warns of World Series ticket scams
* Artificial hand helps amputees feel just how hard to squeeze
* Tense standoff at Dakota Access protest encampment

* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget

* CSO posts record ticket sales, $1.1 million operating deficit
* Groupon to buy LivingSocial
* Chicago police lay out Wrigleyville plans
* Cook County approves $13 minimum wage
* Tronc may face cuts, with or without Gannett

* Police: Man shot to death in Goose Island
* Police: 73-year-old man missing from Gage Park since August
* Cubs let good ties roll — leveling Series is huge for team
* Teenage boy shot in Englewood
* Cubs’ Contreras apologizes for untimely bat flip, quickly atones
* Schwarber is back, baby — but will he be in lineup at Wrigley?
* Arrieta, bats rock Cleveland as Cubs even World Series
* Weed as way of life: California farmers divided on legal bud
* Dear Abby: Teen skips school, just sleeps & texts
* Georgia Nicols horoscopes for Oct. 27, 2016

* 3 dead, 2 wounded in Chicago shootings
* First look at competing plans for George Lucas' museum designs for L.A., San Francisco
* BYU says it will stop honor-code investigations of sexual assault victims
* Jake Arrieta and Kyle Schwarber give Cubs big lift in Game 2 victory
* Anthony Rizzo hitting again, enjoying every moment of World Series
* Police to increase patrols, street closures in Wrigleyville for World Series
* Ben Zobrist puttin' on the hits again for Cubs in the World Series
* Trevor Bauer's pinkie holds up, but his outing short as Cubs strike early
* Jake Arrieta the picture of cool, chills Indians bats as Cubs restore order
* Cruz suggests leaving Supreme Court seat vacant if Clinton is elected

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our View: U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis deserves third term
* John Bouman: We all suffer from Illinois' budget crisis
* Eugene Robinson: Hillary Clinton is blazing a momentous trail
* George Will: Republican Party needs to revert to nominating Republicans
* Bernard Schoenburg: 9 on Sangamon County Board opt out of pension system
* Bobcat hunting opponents seek permits, won't use them
* Opponents emerge against Illinois road fund ballot question
* Our Opinion: LaHood endorsed in 18th Congressional District
* Leroy Jordan: Race Riot site must be preserved, taught to students
* E.J. Dionne: Trump is not a GOP aberration

* Unsung heroes shine for one night at CONO awards
* Group works to install tiny homes for veterans
* Plenty of pumpkin entertainment at Fall Festival
* Mount Zion community comes together for prayer
* PHOTOS: CONO Awards Banquet
* Patricia 'Patti' Gilbreath
* Harriette Judd
* Alice Wolff
* Martha Armistead
* Charlotte Metheny

* Clinton and Obama: First ladies form political odd couple
* Lufthansa cancels 100s of flights at budget unit Eurowings
* AP-GfK Poll: Clinton lead fueled by increased enthusiasm
* UNICEF says school attack may be deadliest of Syria war
* Benoit Pouliot scores twice, Oilers top Capitals 4-1

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* US Senate-Elect -
* Inside Senate Democrats' leadership stando......

* Opinion | Voice of The Southern - The Sout......
* Kirk vows to close gap before Election Day......
* Campaign Round-Up: Kirk Continues to Criti......

* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* I cast votes for a whole slew of judges, but don’t ask me who any of them are!
* The Jerk Stop Celebrates Its Grand Opening With 20% Off Your First Order
* Six No Trump
* Final 2016 Edition: Wrigley Special Event Parking Restrictions
* A Whiter Shade of Pale
* Party At the CPD's 20th District
* Drive-By Shooting in Sheridan Park Leaves Man In Critical Condition
* Drive-By Shooting in Sheridan Park Leaves Man Dead (Updated)
* CPD Announces DUI Strike Force Will Be Out Saturday Night

* Don’t be a Ghoul, Don’t Drink and Drive - Police throughout Illinois step up patrols for Halloween weekend
* Honoring Illinois' Fallen - United States and State flags at half-staff from Sunrise, Saturday, October 29, 2016 until Sunset, Monday, October 31, 2016.
* 25th Annual HIV/STD Conference - Celebrating Success, Shaping the Future - Sexually Transmitted Diseases increase while HIV decreases
* Workers’ Comp Commission Updates Technology at No Cost to Taxpayer - Another step in Rauner Administration’s modernization of state government
* Governor’s Children’s Cabinet Makes Lead Poisoning Prevention A Priority - October 23-30, 2016 - National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week