A bill is just a bill… Except for this one

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013

* As I’ve often said, a bill is just a bill, particularly at the start of session, when all sorts of weird ideas are introduced. There’s no sense in getting all fired up about silly legislation which is obviously going nowhere. I try to avoid posting articles about particularly goofy bills because I know doing so is mostly an empty exercise.

And then I saw this story

A recently introduced bill in the Illinois state Senate would require anonymous website comment posters to reveal their identities if they want to keep their comments online.

My initial response…

What?

Are you freaking kidding me?

* So, before I knew it, I was surfing frantically to the General Assembly website.

From the bill, sponsored by Sen. Ira Silverstein (D-Chicago)

Anonymous internet poster; right to know.

A web site administrator upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless the anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and address are accurate.

All web site administrators shall have a contact number or e-mail address posted for such removal requests clearly visible in any sections where comments are posted.

I eventually took a deep breath and reminded myself of my own advice. But I still couldn’t stop myself from posting about this legislation.

Sorry for breaking my rule here. But, man, if this isn’t the most intrusive Internet bill ever introduced in Illinois, I don’t know what is.

1. - Mason born - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:23 pm:

Wow that is pretty brutal every bit as bad as the you can’t video tape a cop in public. BTW what happened with that?

2. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:24 pm:

Well, Rich … It’s been great …

3. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:24 pm:

Alright, Sen. Silverstein, I’ll come clean:

I’m Keyser Soze.

4. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:25 pm:

=== upon request shall remove any comments posted on his or her web site ===

I would add “without cause, justification or reason”.

In theory, @FakeRolandBurris could have every comment on this site removed except for his own.

Simply because, well, he’s Roland.

Why wouldn’t he want an online shrine to his comments?

5. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:27 pm:

===I’m Keyser Soze. ===

As am I.

6. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:28 pm:

@FakeRutherfordDan - Hey @FakeJasonPlummer, guess who we are going to visit soon. #OWDaysAreNumbered

@FakeJasonPlummer - Wait, @FakeRutherfordDan, Oswego Willy is real? #TheInternetStillConfusesMe

7. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:28 pm:

Whew. Thanks, I needed that..

8. - foster brooks - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:29 pm:

Its called the capitalfax bill

9. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:30 pm:

since Rich and - wordslinger - are coming clean … I will too.

I’m Robert Plummer.

Whew! That was tough to keep secret. Now I feel better.

10. - Jake From Elwood - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:30 pm:

Ok Rich…give the goods on what you did to incense the sponsor of the bill. LOL.

11. - titan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:31 pm:

And they’re going ot enforce this against sites hosted in ome other state or country….how, exactly?

12. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:31 pm:

===I’m Robert Plummer.===

I knew it! You couldn’t possibly be anyone else.

13. - I don't want to live in Teabagistan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:33 pm:

It covers “anonymous”.

What about insanely clever nicknames?

14. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:36 pm:

Wait. I lied.

“I’m Spartacus!”

15. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:37 pm:

I am The Most Interesting Man In The World

16. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:39 pm:

===I knew it! You couldn’t possibly be anyone else.===

I nearly blew my cover when you had the picture of my Jason sitting in the mock Oval Office. That is my screen saver.

People at the Lumber Yard started to ask questions like …”Been to Oswego lately?” “Does the name William have a nickname you know of?”

It was dicey for a while…

But now … I have come clean … whew!

17. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:41 pm:

===Great flick. Kirk Douglas breaks the blacklist and credits Dalton Trumbo with the screenplay. Gives young Stanley Kubrick a second epic, following “Paths of Glory.”===

Concur! That backstory I knew a bit of, and the Kubrick info. Another awesone “story behind the story” tale … for us at the Lumber Yard.

18. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:42 pm:

Sen. Silverstein at the Constitutional Convention:

“Alright, which one of you smarties is Publius? Is it you Madison? How about you Jay? You guys think you’re so clever. If I find out it’s you Hamilton, I swear I’ll….”

Who honked this guy off, anyway, lol.

19. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:45 pm:

== Who honked this guy off, anyway, lol. ==

@fakeIraSilverstein it wasn’t me…

@fakeIraSilverstein No, I didn’t propose this just I could send Rich Miller takedown requests

20. - Boone Logan Square - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:45 pm:

I’m Bernie Stone.

21. - Skeeter - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:48 pm:

The plan is actually deceptively brilliant.

Instead of being the laughing stock of the country for our terrible fiscal management, we will become the laughing stock of the country for believing the entire internet is under our control.

22. - MrJM - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:49 pm:

In that case, my name is Rusty Shakleford.

– MrJM

23. - Very Old Soil - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:52 pm:

Just discussed this bill on CNN–first amendment issues, hate speech, therapeutic. Sounds like they were talking about some commentors here.

24. - Wensicia - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:53 pm:

Rats, word beat me to Spartacus.

25. - Skeeter - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:54 pm:

Dave Clarkin is going bonkers trying to get the word out that Illinois needs to hire more people to make sure kids aren’t abused, but Ira has staff that works on drafting stuff like this?

Welcome to Illinois, where we have interesting priorities.

26. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:56 pm:

@fakeIraSilverstein If you are going to say bad things about Rush (and Geddy Lee) you should have to put your name on it…

27. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:57 pm:

Also in terms of the proposed law, by request of whom? Anyone?

28. - reformer - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:59 pm:

Early this month the Daily Herald switched from anonymous to Facebook commenting.

29. - Skeeter - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 1:59 pm:

I think we need to have a mandatory course titled “Basic Law for Elected Officials.”

In that class, students would learn that federal courts can declare state laws unconstitutional.

Then they will learn that states have no jurisdiction beyond their borders.

Ira and Anita should be required attendees. Sort of a “community service” type thing.

30. - walkinfool - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:00 pm:

Well! Who’s that “Poor Richard” guy anyway?

Whitman Sampler signing off.

31. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:02 pm:

I think the best anonymous comment each week should when the Ira Silverstein award…

32. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:06 pm:

Sorry, I lied, again.

Some people call me Space Cowboy. Some call me the Gangster of Love.

Some people call me Maurice, because I speak of the pompatus of love…

33. - CU Voter - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:06 pm:

Is there anything in the bill that makes the General Assembly covered by either FOIA or OMA?

34. - Esquire - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:06 pm:

In other news, Rahm Emanuel and Ira Silverstein announced that all grafitti taggers will have to identify themselves or else their social commentaries about urban societal decline will have to be removed by city sponsored blaster trucks.

35. - Anonymour - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:08 pm:

Word, if you’re the Joker, “I’m Batman.”

36. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:10 pm:

Someone has already updated his wikipedia entry with information about the bill

Also wikipedia says he went to John Marshall so either they should ask for his law degree back or he should demand a refund IMHO..

37. - Jeeper - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:16 pm:

I am surprised.

Glad to see how even handed you are.

38. - Ken_in_Aurora - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:18 pm:

Sam I Am. Really.

39. - Mason born - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

Skeeter

Your idea for a law class for Politicians is simply brilliant. You might want to include Taking funds for drivers license is illegal and perhaps taking bribes for appointing U.S. Senators. Just an idea.

I am IRON MAN.

40. - Cook County Commoner - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

And this is my State Senator, who provides no email address or web site. At least that I’m aware of. At town hall meetings, he sometimes shows up, but lets Rep. Lang do most of the yakking, which is usually uninformative, superficial and repetitive. That’s why he’s known as Louie “Lips” Lang in his district.
    Gosh. I bet Ira wants to know who said all this.

41. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:19 pm:

–Though I know you don’t take the Second Amendment seriously, I rather thought you did the First.–

Say what? I can’t for the life of me understand what you’re trying to say.

42. - Tommydanger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

I am the God of hellfire and I bring you…Ira

43. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

Also the language appears to be virtually the same as a bill introduced in New York

44. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

Sen. Silverstein, 1776:

“Alright, who’s this Common Sense guy, thinks he’s so smart. If I find out it was Paine, I swear…”

45. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:22 pm:

I think this video illustrates the general feeling about this bill and perhaps it’s author…

46. - RNUG - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:23 pm:

Rich, welcome to the GA’s “enemy’s list” …

47. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

Senator, your bill is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your bill were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on the internet is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

48. - Mason born - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

this would be funny if it weren’t so darn 1984. Paging Georg Orwell.

49. - Wensicia - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:25 pm:

Forget the gun registry, we now have the Capitol Fax registry to worry about.

50. - Skeeter - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:31 pm:

That Wiki bio does lead to one interesting tidbit –

Ira thinks that the names of people who post on the internet must be disclosed, but does not believe that the names of gun owners should be disclosed.

Is he secretly a Republican?

51. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:35 pm:

Sen. Silverstein in the Cold War:

“Alright, who’s the smart guy who wrote the article in Foreign Policy? Mr. X? Contain the Soviet Union? I can barely contain my anger. Kennan, if I find out it was you, I swear…”

52. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:39 pm:

You people can’t make fun of Ira. His website identifies him as “Majority Caucus Whip Ira Silverstein.” He’s too important to be made fun of!

53. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:40 pm:

Well I will give Sen. Silverstein this…

He managed to do something in Springfield that everyone here agrees is stupid

54. - Kilroy Was Here - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:40 pm:

‘nough said

55. - Downstate Illinois - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:45 pm:

What is it with lawmakers and the First Amendment? The debate over the U.S. Constitution was through anonymous columns as was the public debate to have a state constitutional convention back in the 1820s to openly allow slavery.

56. - dupage dan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:45 pm:

Okay, okay - I’ll come clean. I am Senator Silverstein.

57. - doomed in illinois - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:47 pm:

I’m the real Peterman.

58. - Dan Shields, Springfield, IL - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:49 pm:

I personally am not going to post a comment any where without putting my name to it but that’s just me. And I don’t need a law to tell me that. So the bacl log of bill and the pension is all paid up ?

59. - OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:49 pm:

It’s it bad part of me wants this to go to a committee hearing just to attend the committee hearing.

60. - just an ordinary lawyer - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:50 pm:

And I’m Lisa Madigan

61. - The Real Slim Shady - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:52 pm:

*stands up*

62. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:53 pm:

Sen. Silverstein in Literature:

“Alright, who’s the smartie with the “Wuthering Heights? My blood pressure is at withering heights. If I find out it’s one of you Brontes I swear..”

“And I’m looking at you, too, Jane Austen. You don’t think I have sense and sensibility? I have pride. I have prejudice. If I find out it’s you, I swear Emma gonna….”

63. - Cheryl44 - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:55 pm:

No Cheryl44 here, only Zu’ul.

64. - ZC - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:56 pm:

I guess it is time I fessed up. I am Zoe Caldwell.

I felt it might not be understood on Broadway and in Australia, my ongoing obsession with Illinois state politics, so I felt it best to remain anonymous.

I would also like to inform all you Americans, on the eve of another Oscar season, of my strong belief that Max von Sydow was robbed during last year’s ceremony.

65. - Endangered Moderate Species - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:56 pm:

I am the Egg Man,
    I am the Walrus,
    Woo, whoopty do!

66. - Jeeper - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:09 pm:

Wordslinger: What I am trying to say is that this insane proposal relates to First Amendment while many of the recent insane proposals relate to the Second.

Many posters here found -those- proposals to be serious and possessed of great merit, engaging in long and acrimonious debate.

-This- proposal appears no more insane today than the registration, AWB, magazine capacity limits, “intelligent gun” and the rest of those ideas did whey they were first proposed.

Enjoy the joke while it’s still funny…

67. - Dirty Red - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:09 pm:

Sen. Silverstein also introduced a resolution calling on the state police to investigate who let the dogs out.

68. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:10 pm:

Zu’ul. You’re here! I am the Keymaster!

69. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:10 pm:

Tough to admit, but if this is to be the will of the people and the law of the land…(sigh) AA is Pat Quinn.

70. - Anyone Remember? - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:13 pm:

As long as they provide a permanent exception for Rich and his site … .

On a more serious note, here in Springfield the “anonymous” comments on the State Journal Register website helped contribute to the nastiness surrounding the local school board and the soon to depart superintendent. IF the SJ-R comment board required the use of Facebook (or something similar), the level of nastiness would be dialed back greatly. Don’t see the same level of nastiness on the Tribune or Post Dispatch comments.

71. - justbabs - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

I am I said - to no one there. And no one heard at all, not even the chair.

72. - dupage dan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

I yam what I yam.

73. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:19 pm:

–What I am trying to say is that this insane proposal relates to First Amendment while many of the recent insane proposals relate to the Second.–

Jeeper, got you now. No snark.

It’s going to be interesting. The First Amendment has been in front of the Supremes a lot more than the Second, which is why Sen. Silverstein is the joke of the day.

Put it this way: It wasn’t until Heller that a 5-4 court found that there was a federal right to even possess a firearm outside the service of a well-regulated militia.

States could do whatever they wanted. But until Heller, no federal right. That’s the NRA big win.

Heller wasn’t the end, it was the beginning, just as Roe wasn’t the end, but the beginning.

74. - Nohopeforillinois - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

75. - wordslinger - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:27 pm:

There aren’t many good comments sections, anywhere, that I can tell, even with Facebook. They’re all filled with lunatics — check out Kass’ fan club.

The proprietor here does a good job, and that’s why we keep coming back. And for many, anonymity is crucial.

What’s in a name. The debate should be about ideas.

76. - So. ILL - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:29 pm:

I disagree with all of you. This is a good idea. If you are so smart that your opinion must be shared on any message board on any topic, and it must be shared immediately, and you must take one side or the other of every newspiece, then please, let us know who you are so we can elevate you right to the top of the ranks. Won’t we be better off knowing who you are so we can all benefit from the wealth of knowledge you harbor on topics covering everything from health care to gun control to gay marriage to abortion to pensions. Our state is crumbling before our eyes dear policy geniuses, so won’t you step up? Clearly I won’t, but won’t you? Please? :)

77. - So. ILL - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:54 pm:

- OneMan - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 2:02 pm:

I (anonymously) second that emotion.

78. - jake - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 3:57 pm:

Good critique of this insane bill at http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog/2013/illinois-clumsily-enters-nymwars

79. - RNUG - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:05 pm:

Read a few minutes ago that the sponsor killed the bill. He also tried to explain what he was aiming at - stopping cyber bullying.

I’ll agree the objective might have been good but the bill obviously wasn’t thought out very well re 1st A issues.

80. - Bill - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:09 pm:

Ira, was it something I said?

81. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:18 pm:

Kill Bill, Vol. 1.
    Watch out for Vol. 2, Bill.

82. - Mouthy - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:47 pm:

I’m Squeezy the Pension Python and I’m looking for rats..

83. - Smitty Irving - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:48 pm:

Nohopeforillinois

==Someone needs to remind the Senator that anonymous speech is protected speech under our constitution.==

Yes, it is. Slander and libel, not so much. And many online comments (other than on this forum) are nothing slander and libel.

84. - Smitty Irving - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:50 pm:

Nothing but slander and libel.

85. - ZC - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 4:56 pm:

In fairness to Senator Silverstein there’s a germ (but only a germ) of a fair point here, as some are noting.

Anonymous comments + fair moderator who has to work hard to police the crazy = Capitol Fax

Anonymous comments + no moderation = bizarre, useless, hateful comment threads full of TROLLS that are utterly useless for constructive deliberation.

But the bad quality shouldn’t be allowed to crowd out the good. There are other moderated forums out there that are effective. This is overkill and in any case I really do think it’s just dead constitutionally from the get-go.

86. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:16 pm:

Thanks, word. I was struggling to find a good example of a goofy Facebook-fueled comments section and forgot all about Mr. Moutza.

87. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:26 pm:

-he was aiming at stopping cyber bullying-
    Well, I suppose the anonymous commenters here have engaged in that-when someone posts something really Dopey.
    Heck, even our gracious host has engaged in cyber-biting.

88. - Oswego Willy (a.k.a. Robert Plummer) - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:38 pm:

===Anyone, I know what you’re saying. Rich runs a good bar here, obviously, I enjoy it a lot.

What’s in a name. The debate should be about ideas.===

Amen, - wordslinger -!

I am still liking the idea of Non-Disclosure Agreements, and Rich going all “Resovoir Dogs” and have a “Safe Haven, Adult Beverage at an Establishment” Event, with “Mr. Pink” or “Mr. Blue”, etc.

Rich could invite Sen Silverstein(?)

- OneMan -,

Imagine Rich testifying…

“Mr. Miller have you met any of your unknown commenters?”

“I haven’t. Usually there was a buffer.”

“So there are buffers between the commenters a go-between?”

“Oh yeah a buffer. The commenters had a lot of buffers!”

I would testify, with the “Cube of Silence” around me. I would wear a black hood, and of course sunglasses, and desguise my voice, like Peter Lorrie, and talk backwards like Yoda, to throw off the scent….

Gotta go, some new Pine and Maple came into the yard …

89. - Michael Fallon - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:40 pm:

Over 230 years ago there was a group of rich, white, property-owning men who signed their names on a parchment and declared their independence from their king. If they lost, they would lose their lives, fortunes and honor. Flash forward to the present and everyone wants to be anonymous when posting online? Why? Own your comments, the founding fathers did.

90. - Rod - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:42 pm:

I don’t recall Senator Silverstein having been trashed lately on Capitol Fax. Where exactly did this beating take place I would like to read the comments that inspired the bill.

91. - hisgirlfriday - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:46 pm:

Is this revenge for that random Facebook malware spam from Rich that was sent a couple days ago?

Also @MichaelFallon, funny you mention the Founding Fathers. Tell me which Founding Father signed his name on the Federalist Papers.

92. - Oswego Willy (a.k.a. Robert Plummer) - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 5:52 pm:

- Michael Fallon -

1) I ain’t starting a Revloution, I am posting on a Blog, and I am a guest, if the proprietor changes the rules …

2) I ain’t a Founding Father of a new Nation, or even remotely of this great place.

When you have a Blog, and you want me to post my name …I will take that “under advisement”.

93. - Just The Way It Is One - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:01 pm:

Mc Carthyism…it’s baaaaaaacaack! Although now I suppose it’s “Internet Mc Carthyism!” Hey, if the bill becomes law, maybe it’ll be the beginning of a NEW term for it, at least in Illinois: “SilverSTEINism!?”

94. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:03 pm:

===Own your comments, the founding fathers did.===

Um, no many of them did not. See Wordslinger above.

95. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:12 pm:

===Own your comments, the founding fathers did.===

And wasn’t there something about Mary Todd Lincoln sending letters to the editor under the name “Anonymous” for publication in the press?

I seem to remember Mark Kirk mentioning something about Mrs. Lincoln doing that during his “Maiden Speech,” and thinking his statement was very odd in addition to being completely out of context.

96. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:22 pm:

It’d be…interesting to see Mr. Kirk or anyone else at the federal or state level jump on this bandwagon, which I’m sure would be surprising and something I would hope no one would do. But then again, Kirk especially has surprised quite a few recently regarding some of his bills.

97. - Nuance - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:22 pm:

98. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:28 pm:

I also wonder how all of this might change already complex libel laws, including–for example, libel per quod. In some instances, I suppose it might make some things easier, like those instances where someone pretends to be someone else even when issuing statements that appear to be innocuous standing on their own.

99. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:30 pm:

Nuance, I’m guessing the term “Anonymous” is being used generally within the context of the proposed legislation.

100. - Silence Dogood - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:36 pm:

===Own your comments, the founding fathers did.===

Not always.

101. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:39 pm:

Now that’s an interesting handle, Silence DoGood.

102. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 6:54 pm:

H/T to my friend the most anonymous ISPeeved.

103. - Anonymous - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 7:00 pm:

=H/T to my friend the most anonymous ISPeeved.=

word, no comments regarding the use of the English language on this one?

104. - downstate commissioner - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 7:06 pm:

Of all days to miss the fun on here…., but I’m Porky Pig-”ThThThat’s all folks!”

105. - Oswego Willy (a.k.a. Robert Plummer) - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 8:24 pm:

===Willy, if AA would testify, it would be the “Unknown Comic” look (paper bag over head with cutout eyeholes.)===

Good look for - AA - that would be. Testify you will.

106. - Oswego Willy (a.k.a. Robert Plummer) - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 8:26 pm:

===word, no comments regarding the use of the English language on this one?===

You keep poking Bears, then play the “victim” card of badgering, and taunting, …

Sometimes, you get the Bear, sometimes the Bear gets you …

107. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 9:13 pm:

Willy, if this fellow wants to poke the “Bear” known as ISPeeved, we should sell tickets to the aftermath.

See you at the hearing. I’ll be wearing brown.

108. - Oswego Willy (a.k.a. Robert Plummer) - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 9:19 pm:

===See you at the hearing. I’ll be wearing brown.===

(Doing a terrible Peter Lorrie impression) …

At the hearing, see you I will.

(Whisper) Hey, - AA -, make sure you call me “Robert” at the hearing, since we both will be wearing something over our heads, when I hear “Robert”, I will know its you.

109. - Sarah K. Cerah - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 10:17 pm:

Mmm, that’s rather curious as I have a bill I have asked Sen. Silverstein to carry. I call it the What Be Good for the Goose Also Be Good for the Gander Act where every member of the legislature has to reveal every individual that has donated to a PAC that has contributed in excess of $500 to their campaign. Sen. I Heart Transparency shall be his new name henceforth.

110. - Oneman - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 10:23 pm:

The thing is, even if he is trying to deal with cyber bulling (which I doubt) there are other very real implications outside of even the world of politics and opinion.

For example, I hit some technical forums not using my full name, why? Well that way I can ask questions about products without getting contacted by the vendor or having the vendor know our interest beforehand.

111. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Feb 21, 13 @ 10:31 pm:

Roger Wilco, Willy, uh, Robert.

I’ll have it right by the hearing.

112. - Jeeper - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 12:41 am:

Nuance: You said ==Too easy to defeat this legislation. Anonymous becomes Unknown, Unwilling, Bashful, Not Sure, Anne Bill or George - Multiple Personality Disorder, etc… Law doesn’t apply:) ==

The implementation of this bill is not a huge problem and I would bet the NSA can use a fully automated process to get the information.

Lucky for us that the NSA does not make itself available to state legislators.

Unluckily, if I can think of the basic method in a few minutes (I did), someone with more knowledge can write the code today (and probably has).

When this joke of a bill makes enough laps around the track to be taken seriously, it will no longer be funny.

113. - RNUG - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 1:41 am:

Jeeper,

Good points.

The code was written a long time ago.

Back in the dark ages (25 years ago), you had to patch a hardware sniffer on a comm line to record and view everything. Been there, done that.

Today, it can easily be done in software and firmware. The major ISP’s have been doing it for years; that’s where they get their metrics for traffic control. It’s all automated and IP based; the ISPs just have the advantage of knowing who is on which loop without having to do any digging.

Almost every decent bulletin board software application tracks posts by IP address. On the shareware / freeware app used to host the web site I admin, I can go log in and pull everyone’s IP in seconds and even permanently ban anyone by IP address or range.

You don’t have to be paranoid to know Internet traffic is being watched. The only thing still partially protecting our privacy is the sheer volume of data flowing around every day tends to stretch the ability of doing real-time analysis on all the traffic.

114. - the Patriot - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 8:28 am:

What does it hurt. If we can cut up the 2nd amendment, why not cut a little out of the first as well. Maybe we should put in some exceptions to the 4th and 13th as well.

I do find it interesting that any legislature that allows 4 people to draft a 60 billion dollar budget behind closed doors really says they need to know who is blogging.

As a protest maybe everyone should go to the Secretary of State today and start the process to change their name to Mike Madigan.

115. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 9:04 am:

=Call yourself whatever you want. Your real identity is available to those with the correct tools.=

Exactly. OTOH, not everyone knows that, and getting back to my speculation regarding libel per quod, I’m wondering what impact this would have on those who don’t know–or don’t care, and try to get around it by using another person’s real name and address information and through their posts defame someone else.

I didn’t read the legislation, but based on what Rich referenced, it sounds as if “Anonymous” would be an immediate target. OTOH it sounds as if someone who provides what looks like a valid name as a handle, will not.

Furthermore, unless blog owners (or some agency) goes through the trouble of verifying every “registered blogger” to validate their information, how would anyone know if the names, addresses, etc. are valid?

Just look at facebook for example. While I believe that they try to establish a contract with users which includes a provision that they will use their real names, they still have some “anonymous” users using their application and heaven only knows that people shut down their blogs on a regular basis only to create news ones with a variation of their alleged name and sometimes even their company names in order to hide a past history of their posts, which may not be all that flattering.

116. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 9:16 am:

===Now that’s an interesting handle, Silence DoGood.===

I try to get ALL my history from “Wiki” and Nicolas Coppola … sorry, Nic Cage

117. - Anonymous - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 9:18 am:

Sorry…that should have been “people shut down their FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS on a regular basis only to create new ones with a variation of their alleged name and sometimes even their company names in order to hid a past history of their posts, which may not be all that flattering.”

And you have to wonder whether those people believe that the information in their older accounts is therefore no longer accessible as they go through the pains of “reinventing themselves.”

118. - RNUG - Friday, Feb 22, 13 @ 10:45 am:

If you’re willing to dig just a bit, you can find previous stuff on the Internet Wayback Machine … aka the Internet Archives

* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner response *** This just in... Illinois Supreme Court denies Rauner appeal
* They need a rich "white knight"
* Johnson finally backs Davis... So does Joan
* Schneider throws Quinn under the bus
* Wincing before the hit
* Inspector general's IDOT probe places no direct blame on Quinn
* Today's number: 57 percent
* *** UPDATED x2 - Not totally clean - Some questions answered *** Stories raise unanswered questions about IDOC policy
* *** UPDATED x1 - Schneider campaign responds *** US, Illinois Chambers launch TV hit on Schneider
* Reaching into the past for today's gotcha moment
* New DGA YouTube video ties Rauner to Romney via outsourcing
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* This just in... Unions file motion to "gut" the state's pension case

* Why Are PC Sales Up And Tablet Sales Down?
        * BiiSafe Buddy Is A Bluetooth Keyfob For Item-Tracking And Location Alerts
        * Future Project Ara iteration to get a custom Rockchip chip
        * Most smartphone users download this many apps per month: zero
        * The Week in iPad Cases: Om nom nom nom
        * HTC ‘Flounder’ gets WiFi certified, next Nexus tablet?
        * Some legacy plan customers being moved to Simple Choice

* A better front door: What will it take for smart locks to succeed?
        * Pay for College Accessories with a Gift Registry
        * Getty Images Leans In to Present Broader Picture of Women
        * Freeze the Credit of a Dying Relative to Prevent Identity Theft
        * The eight must-have elements for resilient big data apps
        * A Look Back as Re/coders Saturated the Airwaves This Week
        * Should so-called “free” apps really be labeled as “free?”

* Eaton starts rehab assignment at Triple-A