Keep Electric Infrastructure Improvements On Track – Vote YES on SB 9 / HB 2529
Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013
[The following is a paid advertisement.]
ComEd continues to make significant infrastructure improvements as a result of the Energy Infrastructure Modernization Act of 2011, also known as the Smart Grid law. In 2012 alone, the utility:
• Replaced or refurbished 450 miles of underground residential cable—more than double the pace of any previous year;
• Replaced approximately 46 miles of mainline cable—four times the annual average;
• Assessed 8,000 manholes and refurbished 4,400 manholes;
• Repaired or replaced 2,700 utility poles, doubling previous years; and,
• Completed 500 storm hardening projects, including moving equipment underground and installing tree-resistant cable.
These efforts are aimed at reducing and shortening power outages and creating a modern, reliable electric grid, which is critical for attracting new businesses and keeping Illinois competitive. These projects created 700 jobs in 2012 alone.
However, to keep the reliability improvements and job creation moving forward, ComEd needs to restore funding to the grid modernization program. Senate Bill 9 / House Bill 2529 will address this issue and get grid modernization back on track.
Members of the General Assembly – vote yes on SB 9 / HB 2529.