Question of the day

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013

* I think this was his first bill

Drivers would be allowed to legally go 70 mph on tollways and interstates in Illinois under a plan from state Sen. Jim Oberweis that won preliminary approval Tuesday.

Oberweis, a Sugar Grove Republican, told a Senate committee that people already drive that fast, so a faster speed limit would be more realistic.

[IDOT’s interim director of the Division of Traffic Safety John Webber] said the agency thinks average drivers now go between 5 and 10 mph over the limit on average, and he thinks people will just speed even more if the limit is raised to 70 mph.

Jim Edgar used to say that the speed limit was really a minimum for most drivers. That’s why he opposed raising the limit above 65 back then. If we’d made it 70, he said, people would start driving 75-80, which he maintained was way too fast.

Also, I hope Sen. Oberweis remembers his comment about it not being good to have laws on the books that are “widely ignored” when medical marijuana comes up for a vote.

* The Question: Should Illinois increase its interstate highway and tollway speed limits to 70 mph? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

web survey

1. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:40 am:

I voted yes. Other states have it and I haven’t heard of any problems as a result.

2. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:41 am:

Voted yes, not sure if that should apply in the city. But lord knows the speed limits are ignored on many tollways.

If you make it 70 you need to write tickets at 75 IMHO.

3. - Moderate REpub - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:44 am:

voted yes - because “I can’t drive 65″

4. - anon sequitor - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:44 am:

Yes. I frequently drive in Indiana which has a 70 MPH limit and I see little difference from Illinois traffic except I get to my destination a little sooner.

5. - cover - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:47 am:

I voted “no” - all it would do is encourage traffic to move 5 mph faster than it currently does, which for many drivers is already above 65 mph. At 70+ mph, fuel economy suffers; more importantly, traffic accidents become more probable and less survivable.

I can somewhat understand higher speed limits out west, where the distances between cities or even small towns can be tremendous. I don’t feel the need for speed in Illinois, since the 5 mph increase shaves only 20 minutes off a trip between Chicago and St. Louis.

6. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:50 am:

I also voted yes because to me a 5 mph increase doesn’t seem like a problem.

>>“In my opinion, it’s not good to have laws on the books that are widely ignored,” Oberweis said. […]

7. - Mason born - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:50 am:

I voted yes primarily because the road ways are designed for speeds far in excess of 65. Most design speeds are closer to 90mph. With the exemption of Wisconsin all our neighbors are 70mph or higher they seem to manage. Drivers are going to drive the speeds they find comfortable at so while some will go to 75+ most will stay around 70 ish.

8. - Crazy Like A Fox - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:50 am:

I voted yes - Once upon a time, I worked at a park district where the security guard was an off-duty sheriff’s deputy. He once said that he only pulls people over when they were driving faster than 70 MPH. We should raise it and start having tickets written at 75.

9. - cassandra - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:51 am:

There must be some statistical data on accident rates in states with higher vs. lower speed limits. That would influence my vote.

There seem to be increasing numbers of safety features on automobiles these days, which might make faster driving safer. Preparatory to those self-driving cars, which may not be as far off as many think.

10. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:53 am:

Outside of Chicago, 70 is fine. Closer to and in Chicago, on most days traffic is so thick you can only drive stop and go, so speed limits often don’t come into play. On off hours, when the roads are open, 70 sometimes seems slow judging by my fellow drivers’ behavior.

11. - Slick Willy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:54 am:

Voted yes. Much of Illinois interstates are big slabs of concrete running through fields of beans and corn - as far as the eye can see. Not sure how they are any different than out west or in neighboring states. Agree that the ISP should write citations at 75 mph.

12. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:55 am:

Sorry that my last post got cut off. I figured out the problem. Does Oberweis feel the same way about marijuana laws and other drugs as he does about the unenforceable speed limit law?

13. - Tobor - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:56 am:

And those driving under the max limit should be ticketed.

14. - reflector - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:57 am:

Having driven 50 to 100 miles each way to work for over 30 years I do not think we should raise speed limits.The higher the limt the less reaction time.

15. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:58 am:

I drive from Chicago up thru to NE Wisconsin alot. I do not notice much fuel consumption difference between 55, 65 and 75 or even 85 mph. I drive a diesel Jetta and get 42 mpg. Deaths on highways have been steadily going down over the years as cars become better built with more safety features/construction. If you don’t want to drive as fast as 70mph, then don’t. Please stay in the far right lane so that the rest of us can get by you safely.

16. - Downstate Illinois - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 9:58 am:

I agree. I’ve actually found that the speed on I-57 actually increases north of US80 as you approach Chicago before often grinding to a complete stop once you hit construction.

The speed limit is already higher in many neighboring states. The speed limit should also be raised on other non-interstate four-lane highways as well as certain two-lane highways that are up to modern standards in rural areas.

It’s 70 mph in Texas even on two-lane roads.

The speed limit is a good indicator of the nanny-state and the state of personal freedoms.

17. - LisleMike - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:01 am:

voted yes. Other states have. If the concern is safety, increase speeding fines for over speed limit progressively. Make it worthwhile to enforce.

18. - late to the party - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:02 am:

I voted no because it reduces mpg and therefore increases the consumption of gas. I hope all those that vote yes never complain about the price of gas.

19. - capncrunch - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:05 am:

Why bother? People are driving 70 MPH now. I set my cruise control on 70 when driving I57 and have never been stopped. Also, we don’t have the money for new signs. In fact, we don’t have money for any new spending.

20. - mythoughtis - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:07 am:

I voted yes:

I agree that having laws that most people ignore is not a good idea. Pick a speed that is appropriate, then give tickets as appropriate.
    We shouldn’t be setting limits lower than appropriate because someone might exceed the limit.

70 is fine in most areas in downstate Illinois.
    Most highway accidents are due to weather conditions, or wrong way drivers… not someone driving 70.

What should also be done is enforcing a speed limit, any speed limit, on the Chicago interstates and tollways. People routinely drive 20 miles over the speed limit on those. Downstate, I never see anyone except legislators drive like that.

21. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:09 am:

===“In my opinion, it’s not good to have laws on the books that are widely ignored,” Oberweis said.===

Someone, please …. tell Senator Oberweis … he is not required to talk to the Press. Boy, that “Political Director” is just helping and helping!

The raising of the Speed Limit and giving a quote about THAT…specifically …can’t be good.

Why the heck do you Open yourself, Senator Oberweis, to the Dopiness you do by now lumping your Bill, which you like, to other Laws you may not like, but are just not followed …

Like, um, …immigration?

Remember that helicopter ride? The Stadium? The laws on the books, that people SEEM to not follow?

Yikes!

Add to the mix - 47th Ward -. I spilled my coffee, reaching for it and reading at the same time!

===But I, for one, applaud Senator Oberweis for tackling the fiscal issues first. Illinois is broke and it’s about time someone stepped up to address the truly important issues, and not get distracted by other things.===

Man o’ man, that Senator Oberweis, and the “Political Director” lecturing us, you guys got it all figured out.

To the Post,

If you raise the limit, the limit should only be raised where there is a Population Stop-Gap, meaning, areas like Cook and the Collars, counties with populations over 700,000 (I don’t know “what” number, but some sort of ceiling) where a Tollway runs through, and the limit is NOT raised, then you have my attention.

This isn’t Wyoming, Montana, Arizona …the Autobon! Just a few tweeks might work, but having a change becuase …

=== “In my opinion, it’s not good to have laws on the books that are widely ignored,” Oberweis said.===,

…is about as Dopey as being in a helicopter looking at stadiums.

22. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:22 am:

Speed limits violate the First Amendment — I express need for speed by driving fast.

Only law-abiding citizens are penalized by the 65 mph limit. The lawbreakers don’t drive the speed limit already.

It’s a slippery slope, though. What comes after 70? 71? Then what, 72?

I don’t think we should even consider this issue until all our fiscal problems are solved.

Jesus rode a donkey. If God had intended for us to go 70 mph, we would have been borne with wheels and V8 engines. I don’t think we should overturn natural law for the benefit of a few speed freaks.

Madigan won’t allow it. Republicans have fast cars to get them to the polls. Slowing them down will get Lisa elected governor.

23. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:25 am:

===Downstate, I never see anyone except legislators drive like that. ===

You’ve apparently never driven I-55 to St. Louis.

24. - SO IL M - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:26 am:

Raising the speed limit to 70 will decrease revenue brought in by Alexander and Pulaski Countys, as well as the small towns that are able to annex out to I-57. They depend on the revenue they get from writing tickets on 57, many of which come from North bound vehicles that have had their cruie control set for hundreds of miles of 70 mph speed limits. They come into IL where the speed limit is lower and still drive just as they have driven safely thru other states, and donate to the revenue of these Countys and Towns.

I voted yes, raise it

25. - Darienite - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:26 am:

However, rural interstates can and should be posted at 70. As long as those driving > 80 get ticketed,

26. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:26 am:

late to the party, If you correct for inflation, fuel prices are about the same as they were 50 years ago. I don’t complain about fuel prices - and I drive 600 miles in a typical weekend to Wisc - sometimes for months at a time. Get a good car with good mileage and keep your tires inflated properly. My car hums @ 80 mph.

27. - mythoughtis - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:28 am:

==You’ve apparently never driven I-55 to St. Louis. ==

I have, but those folks usually maintain somewhere between 10 and 15 miles over the limit. I usually try to stay at 7 miles over (so 72, not likely to move from that if the speed limit goes up). I will admit I avoid rush hour around St. Louis if I can avoid it.

28. - MrJM - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:29 am:

I voted “no” because, even under the current law, I’ve never been pulled over for driving 70 mph on our state’s expressways.

– MrJM

29. - Belle - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:31 am:

No. People already drive like bats outta hexx — no need to encourage anyone to drive faster while texting, applying mascara, and eating burgers.

30. - titan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:40 am:

@Darienite - It was my understanding that the interstate system generally has a minimum 75 mph design speed (other than urban and mountainous areas). And remember, that 75 was with much older automotive technology - today’s cars, particularly as to tire technology, is much better. Granted, many of the drivers are thoroughly incompetent.

31. - Mongo - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:47 am:

No. We already know that driving at faster speeds requires longer breaking distance and minimizes reaction time. This measure seems counter-intuitive. Now get me a different sponsor, and maybe, maybe (just kidding). On top of the facts above, if I were in the GA I’d vote no just because of the sponsor.

32. - Huh? - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:48 am:

“… road ways are designed for speeds far in excess of 65. Most design speeds are closer to 90mph. …”

In Illinois, the rural interstates are designed for 70 mph. That is per the AASTHO Policy on Design Standards - Interstate System.

I said yes to the 70 mph posted speed limit. People will drive as fast as they feel comfortable.

33. - shore - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:49 am:

In an era of smartphones in cars absolutely anything that weakens existing traffic/speeding laws is not a bad idea or a horrible idea but one of the worst ideas ever.

When I get up in the morning and see a dad with 2 kids in the car going 25 mph to get coffee texting while driving and nearly getting in an accident the first thing I think is well it would be great if this guy could drive even faster.

No. No. No. No.

34. - Esquire - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:52 am:

I would 70 m.p.h. on the straight, uninterrupted roads in Downstate Illinois. Reduced speed limits near exits and exchanges as needed. No increase in the speed limit in the Chicago metropolitan area.

35. - zatoichi - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 10:56 am:

The speed limit now is whatever budges the ISP from their spots at highway turnarounds. I usually do 70-75 on 55/57 and try to stay at the same speed as the cars around me. There are always 1-2 cars (they must have pressing appointments) doing 85+ while blowing by the crowd.

That ‘widely ignored’ rationale was nicely thought out.

36. - Ahoy! - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:02 am:

I agree with Edgar on this one, you don’t need to raise it, because people already drive it as a minimum, I’d guess majority of voters drive 70 or over.

37. - Geneseo Gent - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:05 am:

I voted no! Semis fly around me now while I’m doing 72 on cruise!

38. - Six Degrees of Separation - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:13 am:

I like raising to 70, citation at 75. Don’t raise it where the exits are closely spaced (like the Dan Ryan or the Ike or other urbanized areas) or where the original road was not designed for 70. My guess - if we are just legalizing existing behavior, it won’t make a difference in fuel consumption or safety, as long as the average speed doesnt bracket up. Stricter enforcement of the top end should keep the bracket where it is.

39. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:19 am:

My personal rule is 10 miles over the limit, and I’ve never been pulled over. Leave the law where it is.

40. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:19 am:

I’d like the speed limit raised to Warp 2…

41. - Mike MacD - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:33 am:

Voted no, for the same reason I’m opposed to running with scissors.

42. - Darienite - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:35 am:

@Titan - In addition to “Huh?@ 10:48″, the area on I-355 around I-88 has a design speed of 60 mph to minimize the taking needed to the Morton Arboretum. Also the curve on the Tri-State @ Grand is 60 mph.
    Cannot post a speed > design speed - the legal community would love it.

43. - Ben Marcum - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:42 am:

Um, Oswego Willy- I am paid out of Jim’s campaign account. My role is to reach out within the local GOP organizations in the four counties that Jim represents. Political means NOT state related. The introduction of legislation is a STATE issue, not POLITICAL. Pat Brady- political. Legislation- state. Your anti-Oberweis posts are the highlight of my day. The way he gets under your skin is just great! Keep the posts coming. I know I can count on you.

44. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:48 am:

Cincy, but at higher speeds what is your dilithium crystal usage per parsec?

45. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 11:58 am:

dd,

There is really no difference to speak of since the matter/anti-matter annihilation is producing excess plasma which is currently just being bled off as heat…

46. - C. Montgomery Burns - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:04 pm:

No tickets under 80 m.p.h. would be my preference. The majority of drivers need to be sent for remedial drivers reeducation and then the roads would be perfectly safe. Enforce the rule thatsays if you’re not passing get the #$%@ out of the passing lane. Have some regard for your fellow drivers who do take driving seriously.

47. - Very Old Soil - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:06 pm:

Several years ago I talked with an ISP trooper at a rest stop on I-55. She told me that she always drove 72 mph (in marked squad car) so she wouldn’t slow trafic down.

48. - Huh? - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:08 pm:

Darienite - Please note that I wrote RURAL interstates. I-355, I88 and the Tri-State are urban highways and were designed according to the policies and procedures of the Tollway Authority, not IDOT.

49. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:17 pm:

I see Mr MJM’s point

The few and I mean very few that drive under 70 are road hazards now. Will raising it to 70 make people drive 80?

I keep up with traffic if it’s going 70 then I am in the pack. Cars are so much more fuel efficent now that a the speed limit does not seem to affect gas useage.

50. - Stuff happens - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:20 pm:

I did not realize that ignoring laws would get them changed. I expect to see more people using cell phones in construction zones now. While going 70.

51. - Plutocrat03 - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:24 pm:

“The original portions of the Tollway designed back in the 50’s have a design speed of 60 mph - some of the curves are too tight for 70. I’m guessing the Chicago expressways are the same.”

You are kidding? Show me one stretch which cannot be negotiated at 70…..

btw, voted yes. Surrounding states with higher speed limits (where appropriate) are doing fine.

52. - Chris - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:26 pm:

“The introduction of legislation is a STATE issue, not POLITICAL.”

You sure you’re from Illinois?

53. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:34 pm:

- Ben Marcum -,

Or am I getting uder YOUR skin? lol

Actually, I don’t remember…asking ..HOW you get paid, YOUR role, or how YOU are connected.

YOU - signed a post “Political Director” as if your opinion needs a boost of a “title”?

BTW, How are Jim’s politics going? Good?

Senator Jim Oberweis has bigger things to worry about than me.

Some would say … a good “Political Director” might advise their Boss how things might “play out” …politically.

===My role is to reach out within the local GOP organizations in the four counties that Jim represents.===

Maybe you are the “Field Director”? You brought up your role, how you are getting paid, a civics lesson on “political” and “governmental”, maybe I am missing something… lol

Just a thought.

With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy

54. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 12:46 pm:

~Does Oberweis feel the same way about marijuana laws and other drugs as he does about the unenforceable speed limit law? ~

I wondered that too.

55. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:03 pm:

Yup - can be done!
    70 mph on the interstates is fine.
    Can even text while doing it.

56. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:13 pm:

=Keep the posts coming. I know I can count on you.=

Yup.

57. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:15 pm:

Do. Not. Feed. Trolls.

58. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

If…IF…if…how…dope…?!! IF…if…YOU…dopey.

You have no idea how much you’re helping.

59. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:33 pm:

“@DHStatehouse - A Senate committee OK’d Sen. Oberweis’ plan to raise speed limits to 70 mph. Before the vote, he gave out ice cream.”

Was it the same flavor of Ice Cream he gave to the group with signs asking for the Ouster fo Pat Brady for SSM…

Or does Senator Oberweis have a “Politcal” flavor, and a “Governmental” flavor of Ice Cream for legislation?

60. - Louis G. Atsaves - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 1:40 pm:

I’ve driven in other states where the speed limits were 70 and 75. At that speed, those exceeding the limit were very few. In Illinois at 55, you feel like you will create an accident because everyone else around you is speeding past you at 70.

61. - Irish - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 2:07 pm:

Oh Ben M. You had to poke the bear didn’t you!

In regards to the question. I voted no. This should not even be a topic of discussion now. There is movement to ban talking on any device that is not hands free because we are having accidents and close calls on our roadways now. Ask any IDOT employee or construction worker who works on the roads how many times they have almost been hit by someone talking on a phone. You will be amazed. Now we want to allow those folks to go even faster leagally, with less reaction time?

I initially was for the increase in the speed limit for trucks. But now I wish we could go back. On a recent trip home from northern Wisconsin during the snow storm on February 25th. I was passed numerous times by semis trying to still go 65 mph. Twice they came into my lane of traffic because they could not contol thier rigs at that speed. I mean no disrespect to truck drivers most of who are good drivers, however I think at the 65 mph speed limit we are reaching the Perter Principle Point of Driving. And I mean both car and truck drivers. Before we increase the legal speed let’s do something about distracted drivers and let’s concentrate on that for a while before we get into increasing speed limits. And as other have said. Is this really what the GA should be working on now???

Who knows maybe Jim’s paturizing process isn’t up to snuff and he needs to get his milk delivered before it goes sour.

62. - PublicServant - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 2:40 pm:

I currently go 9mph over the limit figuring there are still a lot of people passing me at that speed that will be trooper-bait. It’s worked for me so far, so I’m not changing that strategy whether the limit is raised, or not.

As for work-zones, I don’t mess with those limits because (1) I don’t want to hit anyone, and (2) you are much more likely to get pulled over for speeding in those zones.

63. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 2:48 pm:

We have ridiculously low speed limits throughout the state. 70 is a good move and brings us into line with IN, MI and many others. I’ll note Indiana just moved their 70mph zone from 31 miles outside to Chicago to the state line. In metro Detroit, all the highways in the metro area are at 70.

In short, more rational speed laws (as opposed to revenue driven laws like Chicago’s forthcoming speed cams) would improve things dramatically.

64. - D P Gumby - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

I vote NO. At the 65 speed limit I drive 74 and never get stopped. That appears to be the “acceptable” speed on the Interstates; if we change the limit we will have to re-adjust what the “informal” limit is.

65. - Precinct Captain - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 3:37 pm:

I voted no. Edgar is right that many people (wrongly) treat the speed limit as some sort of minimum. Going so fast also decreases fuel economy. On top of all of that, it is well known in the insurance industry that speed limits are treated as minimums and that people go 5 to 10 mph faster, so it would not be a surprise to see insurance rates soar if this proposal were to become policy.

66. - reformer - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 3:38 pm:

Trucks now have the same speed limit as cars. The trucking assn recognizes that 70 mph is too fast for the safe operation of big rigs, giving the long stopping distance for heavy vehicles.

When the feds allowed states to raise the limit to 65 from 55 mph, that produced more than 12,000 add’l highway deaths over the following decade, per a 2009 study published in the Amer Journal of Public Health. (Source, “It’s not NASCAR. I3’s TX,” Trib editorial, 9-14-12)

67. - wishbone - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 4:13 pm:

Think of the children. Oh, this isn’t a gun thread.

68. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 4:54 pm:

Me and my same-sex spouse should be able to drive as fast as we want while openly carrying guns while on the way to get medical marijuana.
    Got it?!
    It’s right there in the Pension Clause next to the Declaration of Independence.

69. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 5:14 pm:

Jim Edgar lowered the speed limit on tollways from 70 to 65.

70. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 6:19 pm:

No-folks often drive at 70-75 now on the Interstates and Expressways every day with no repurcussions but MAYbe a ticket once every few years. At 70, they’d do 80 regularly and clearly further put others at unnecessary risk of accidents, injury, death. This is not a good idea…

71. - Dave G. - Wednesday, Apr 17, 13 @ 7:41 pm:

The speed limit should be raised to 70 because it will reduce the gap in traffic speeds by bringing slow drivers in line with normal traffic that already drives 70. Also with Ohio’s increase to 70, 35 other states have speed limits of AT LEAST 70 M.P.H. If we keep 65 we will look like a huge speed trap. Not good for the state.

72. - Bemac - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:28 pm:

Speed matters less than closing speed. Using the left lanes only to pass is what made the Autobahns safer per mile without a speed limit than US roads with “safe” speed limits.

* Ridiculous allegation withdrawn
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Adventures in governing
* Rauner on Obama: "One of the most anti-business presidents we've had in the last 70 years"
* Callis recycles ad, reportedly lowers buys
* *** UPDATED x2 - Frerichs responds - Cross responds *** Frerichs says Cross is Rauner's "lapdog"
* Poll: Rauner leading by 6, Topinka up by 22, Cross up by 10
* Pumping up the base
* NRI head will testify next week
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Another day, another GTCR revelation
* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* Samsung bends a Note 4, cause the iPhone 6 Plus can’t take it?
        * iPhone 6 vs LG G3 – This was a tough one
        * Carved Nexus 6 vs Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 size comparison, new renders
        * Lumia 735: On sale now
        * Apple CarPlay goes live in Pioneer NEX and AppRadio systems, giving real people early dibs for once
        * NVIDIA Tegra-powered Honda Connect infotainment system introduced
        * Nexus 6 gets a massive set of mockups and leaked photos

* Four Alternatives to Like-Gating on Facebook
        * Samsung Decides To Bend The Galaxy Note 4 (Video)
        * Shazam For Windows Phone Gains Cortana Support
        * Sony KW1 Confirmed To Sport Curved Sensor
        * Microsoft Not Satisfied With Xbox One Sales In Japan, Vows To Try Harder
        * Rhino GoPro Poles And 360 Swivel Action Camera Mount (video)
        * iOS 8.1 And Apple Pay Coming October 20th (Rumor)

* Third-base coach McEwing to interview for D-backs job