Let’s play “Rate the Ad”

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013

* Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s radio ad which attempts to poach Illinois businesses [fixed link]…

Script for the $42K buy…

This is Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and I have a word of advice for employers frustrated by Illinois’ short-sighted approach to business: You need to get out while there’s still time.

The escape route leads straight to Texas, where limited government, low taxes and a pro-business environment are creating more jobs than any other state.

I’ll be in Chicago next week to talk about opportunities in Texas, where we’re always open for business.

Visit It may be time for your company to hit the emergency exit.

* Greg Hinz talked to Gov. Perry

In a phone interview late yesterday, Mr. Perry, who ran an ad in this week’s issue of Crain’s titled “Get Out While There’s Still Time,” (below) insisted his message “isn’t about bashing Illinois” but rather is aimed at extending a hand to companies that could use one.

“This is about talking about policies that can help people make a good judgment, an informed decision about where to live,” said the governor, who will be here next Monday and Tuesday. But the fact is, “When you have the kind of tax and regulatory policies in place (that Illinois does) . . . you are enticing businesses to fail.”

Mr. Perry wouldn’t say which local companies he’ll be meeting with at the big biotech conference here next week, but argued many companies would benefit from Texas’ “light” tax burden, “fair and predictable” regulatory climate, “sweeping” tort reform and “accountable” public schools. […]

Mr. Quinn, in a separate phone interview, noted that two big biotech firms, Astellas Pharma and Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., recently opened large North American headquarters in the Chicago area, and that the biotech meeting again will be held in Chicago in 2016. “I’m not sure they’ve ever met in Texas,” said Mr. Quinn.

Um, it’s not about bashing Illinois? Really? Was he not listening to his own voice when he made that ad?

* And even Pat Brady got into the act, defending his home state

llinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady said he’d welcome Perry if he wanted to offer support to Republican gubernatorial candidates. But a recruiting trip, he can do without.

“I like Gov. Perry, he’s been a good leader for Texas, but I don’t think it’s productive for him to come in here and do this so publicly,” Brady said. “Stealing jobs from Illinois is not going to help.” […]

If Perry’s strategy is in part political, Brady said, it’s not a good one.

“I don’t think it’s a great way to impress Republican donors,” Brady said, adding that even a harsh critic of Illinois’ current leadership like himself wants the state to succeed. “We live, work and pay taxes here.”

1. - RonOglesby - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:30 am:

Yes he’s bashing Illinois. Really he is bashing the Illinois Gov Policies. Did he say the state was bad? or its people? no, but its a bad place to do business. Those upset by it may be upset because it hits too close to home.

2. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:30 am:

Your link to the ad isn’t working.

3. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:37 am:

Thanks. Link is fixed. Oops.

4. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:38 am:

Perry says we need to get out while there’s time and go to Texas, which is at or near the top in the number of minimum wage workers, has among the most people of any state without health insurance, has a political party that seriously considered banning the teaching of “critical thinking” in schools and has a median income that is still lower than Illinois.

No thanks.

Even with the debt, Illinois has a lot going for it. We have a socially moderate culture, great schools, a rich history, a relatively-low income tax, stronger organized labor, great cities, etc. I think we should advertise our progressive side to the states that are trying to poach our jobs. That’s another reason I hope gay marriage passes, because it will make us more progressive and popular.

5. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:40 am:

Script Translator:

“Hi, I’m Rick Perry and I’m running for president of the United States. I’m reaching out here on my state’s dime to all potential big money contributors in California, New York and Illinois.

“See, I’m lucky here in Texas to be sitting on an ocean of oil, mucho dolares federales in defense spending and all the cheap, abused, undocumented labor you can ignore coming across the Rio Grande.

“That way, I get to pretend I’m like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or some smart alecky pointy head like that — a job creator. Fact is, I had nothing to do with it, but I’ll take it.

“Won’t you please send me some money once I formally announce for president? I made a fool out of myself last time, and sure would like to get that taste of humiliation out of my mouth.

“I promise this time I’ll study hard, remember my remembering, and cut back on the painkillers so I won’t nod off during debates.

“Y’all come.”

6. - reformer - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:42 am:

I wonder if Perry will brag about which state has more children living in poverty? Or about which state has the most people without health coverage? Or which state has the highest proportion of working poor? The highest school dropout rate? Didn’t think so.

7. - Cincinnatus - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:47 am:

Good ad, but who is the audience?

8. - RonOglesby - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:47 am:

If Illinois was on the border it would have those same problems. Much more people coming in with little to no language skills. Again. you are not defeating the arguments just trying to toss back another insult… insults dont impact a business decision.

9. - ZC - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:52 am:

It’s getting mighty hot down there in Texas. And worse yet, dry. They’re currently suing their fellow states and Mexico just to get more water. And those trends aren’t going to reverse over the decades to come, and perhaps intensify much faster than many people imagine. I wouldn’t be surprised if fresh water supplants oil as the most important state resource of the 21st century.

Still, I grant within any current adult businessman’s lifetime that might not be (yet) a major consideration. But if you’re truly thinking long-term business, er, climate, I’m not so sure I’d “bet on Texas.”

10. - Small Town Liberal - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 10:58 am:

- insults dont impact a business decision. -

Yeah, and neither do silly ads by blowhards. If businesses decide the numbers work better for them in Texas, they’ll move to Texas. We’ve been hearing from the Uhaul crowd for a couple years now, I’ve yet to see a mass exodus of businesses.

Perry might want to focus on figuring out who’s going to hire a generation of students that believe dinosaurs and man lived together, and that critical thinking leads to heresy.

11. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:03 am:

I’m not leaving. As ZC said, there’s not enough water in the Southwest to sustain the population they already have.

12. - JoeVerdeal - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:15 am:

While there is no doubt that Illinois has infinitely greater potential than Texas ever will, there is also no doubt that Illinois’ government is not an advantage, business-wise.

To counter an effort to poach our businesses, the first step that we should take should be to admit to ourselves that we do have a number of very serious shortcomings.

To toss insults at Texas and it’s efforts to nurture it’s economy will do nothing to keep employers here and attract new employers. Instead, let’s make an effort to improve our own business climate…by ruthlessly eliminating anti-business factors and by aggressively fostering positive change in Illinois.

Illinois politicians should be pushed to think about the net effects on business of whatever they do.

13. - Amalia - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:18 am:

on this day of sadness for Texas, I’m going to hold my words about Governor Perry. Suffice it to say, I’m glad that he will not be traveling here today. (he’s staying home to help with that horrible incident, right?)

14. - Michelle Flaherty - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:20 am:

Because if there’s one thing Gov. Perry’s Texas is known for it’s providing a hand out to those in need.

15. - Palos Park Bob - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:27 am:

Just about every professional I know, and every “high tech” and brainpower business, is planning their Illinois exit strategy. With the massive pension obligation that Springfield created that provided little or no value to the citizens and taxpayers, most people understand that there will only be two choices; shaft the public employees or raise taxes and fees to such an unaffordable rate that earning here will be practically impossible.

Most reasonable professionals and professional businesses who aren’t feeding at the corrupt political trough have figured out that the Dem and RINO “plan” is to suck this state dryer than a Texas drought. There’s a simple way to avoid paying for the decades of corruption and mismanagment that Madigan, Quinn, Ryan and Edgar made, and a large majority of Illinois voters ebdorsed by their political support for them…LEAVE! …and that’s exactly what’ll happen in increasing numbers of the “earners” in Illinois.

16. - Rudy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:37 am:

=I wonder if Perry will brag about…=

During the presidential campaign I recall him bragging that Texas led the nation in executions.

17. - BleugrassBoy - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:01 pm:

The larger a business is, the harder it is to leave an established site. Small businesses & sole proprietorships can leave a state easily, and when they do, aren’t as noticeable or reported.

I have no idea what the actual “net” numbers are - but anecdotally I do know of several folks who have moved out of state in the past five-ten years. Not retirees either - employed or self-employed people. (More than I know of new people who’ve moved here.)

There are consequences to actions. Tax burdens are a factor in businesses making decisions. If IL doesn’t want to hear poaching from TX, WI, IN, etc. they need to keep that in mind before they implement legislation that gives those states ammo against us.

18. - Dan Johnson - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:01 pm:

It’s a refreshing sign of progress that Republican and state corporate leaders are getting off the “Illinois is bad” message. For a long time they were building political support by bashing our state and that had the unfortunate consequence of depressing actual business confidence. I’m glad that the loyal opposition is finding a way to make a policy argument while still proudly trumpeting our state as one of the best places in the world.

19. - Hans Sannity - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

“Texas Wide Open for Business is the official brand for the Texas Economic Development Division within the Office of the Governor.”

My tin foil hat is on:

It’s a not so grand strategy.

Conservative GOPers are all in on using one state’s economic development PR budget to bash Dem states as a way to subsidize the cost of spreading their good word.

Prior to the 2012 presidential conventions Chrisite’s NJ ads ran in Illinois markets while his “biographer” made appearances on WGN radio. It seemed like Christie was attempting to get his name out for future recognition as a GOP VP nominee, or even 2016 Presidential candidate.

Maybe GOPers believe the Texas “economic development” ca$h helps with IL Dem party bashing as the IL GOP gubernatorial candidates prep.

They soften the state for 2016, too.

Tin foil hat is off.

20. - Chevy owner/Ford County - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:27 pm:

Texas would be great….if it weren’t for the Texans….

21. - olddog - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

Yep, we’re certainly seeing what that “limited government, low taxes and a pro-business environment” in Texas can do for you.

22. - Bill F. - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:03 pm:

I think anyone would have to think long and hard about moving my kids to a place where the governor can’t even pronounce “escape” on a radio ad (EX-cape? Are you in kindergarten?).

That and 75 cents will get you a bag of chips.

23. - Small Town Liberal - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:09 pm:

- Just about every professional I know, and every “high tech” and brainpower business, is planning their Illinois exit strategy. -

Yeah, and I’m sure just about everyone you see with a Link card loads their dogfood and sodas into an Escalade when they leave the store.

I have my doubts about your connections in the “brainpower business”.

24. - reformer - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

Dan: Before you praise GOP honchos, did you see Rauner’s statement?

ZC: It’s ironic that Perry is a climate change denier, even as his state suffers the consequences of that change.

25. - Palos Park Bob - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:20 pm:

“To contra PPBob, just about every business owner I know is not thinking about leaving.”

Then you must know a lot of “business owners” getting government business. That works for the city and federal providers, but unless you have “me first!” clout with the state, you could go out of business before you get paid what you owe.

The “big” companies that are getting huge subsidies to be here aren’t going to leave entirely. They’re just not going to pay their coporate taxes here nor expand here. Caterpillar and other large companies are overall cutting back here and expanding in sun belt low tax states like Texas and Tennessee.

Small business in the service industry is where the good paying job growth is, but with the risk of on line transaction taxes Illinois is a nonstarter for relocation from other states.

The problem with our corrupt body politic is that eventually those on the dole and those getting sweatheart deals for being overpaid in government and government contracting will remain, and no matter what you do that group won’t make pay more taxes than they take.

26. - Robo - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:25 pm:

And yet here Perry is in Chicago, spearheaded by a radio ad, to take Illinois businesses to Texas. All the talk is about how bad Perry is and/or how bad Texas is, not how good we’ve got it in Illinois. I assure you that if Quinn were in Houston for the same purpose the chatter would center around how superior Texas is to Illinois (along with a healthy dose convict governors!)

27. - Mark Glennon - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 1:48 pm:

Guber’s clumsiness is Illinois’ shame. Even under his leadership Texas is kicking our butts. 17,000 jobs lost here last month; 9.6% unemployed. In Texas, 81,000 new jobs; 6.4% unemployed.

28. - Bill White - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 2:44 pm:

=== In a press conference today about his trip to lure California businesses to Texas, Gov. Rick Perry boasted of statistics demonstrating Texas’ superior job climate, but bristled when a California reporter brought up a less flattering ranking: Texas’ top position among all states for worker deaths and injuries. ===

29. - Endangered Moderate Species - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 2:55 pm:

Gov. Perry needs to be reminded about Texas history. The rest of America helped them establish their independence. If not for that assistance, the Dallas Cowboys may have been a futbol team.

I had hoped to visit San Antonio and Austin in the near future, not now, no thanks.

30. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 4:00 pm:

Pee Pee, don’t let the “leaving Illinois” sign hit you in the back of the head on your way to Texas with all your enlightened biz friends.

31. - tired of politics - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 4:21 pm:

Rick should ask Scott Walker about poaching jobs from Illinois.

32. - Michelle Flaherty - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 5:04 pm:

PPBob, drop the McCarthyism and name names.

33. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 8:50 pm:

You sold me, Pee Pee. Let me know if I can get the U-Haul biz for Abbot, Underwriters Labs, Motorola and all the big brains doing brainy work at UC, UofI, UIC, Northwestern, Argone, Fermi, etc.

Because there’s nothing more that big brain, high-tech business respects than a state government that will execute someone with an IQ of 61 who was railroaded through an indifferent judiciary.

And I’m sure they’re all looking forward to sending their kids where The Flinstones is considered history class in the public schools.

34. - Steve - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:14 pm:

35. - wordslinger - Thursday, Apr 18, 13 @ 11:27 pm:

–You haven’t heard that Texas has more high tech jobs than Illinois? Dell isn’t the only high tech employer in Texas. It’s hard for Illinois to compete with Texas , because Illinois doesn’t put job creation as a priority. I assure you Texas will have a higher population growth rate than Illinois for the rest of this decade.–

All that federal tax money for NASA and defense contractors can do that for you.

But they still execute the developmentally disabled and teach The Flinstones as history in the public schools.

As far as population growth, I suspect you’re right. They’re right on the Rio Grande and they love the cheap labor from the south. No papers, no unions, no health benefits, no questions asked.

* Pressure builds on Alvarez, McCarthy
* Final day to file!
* SEIU claims court victory on health insurance
* So long, Kurt!
* Will "right to work" pop up again?
* A little bit of what's at stake this week
* More poison pills
* Time heals most wounds
* NYT looks at Griffin, Rauner
* LaQuan McDonald case: Three suggestions for state action

* Eddy Cue Discusses Why Apple Made a Pre-Installed News App
* LG V10 bundle promo is back with just a bit less love
* Samsung Mobile chief steps back to focus on long-term growth
* Shin gives way to Koh as Samsung mobile communications president
* You can now save images to folders within Google image search on mobile
* Tengami is a beautiful puzzle game now out on Android, on discounted launch
* Apple v. Samsung: the iPod patent art blunder

* Avila eager to wage 'friendly' AL Central rivalry
* Non-tender deadline looks familiar for White Sox
* Detroit Tigers make AL Central's first big splash with Jordan Zimme...
* South Side Sox' SB Nation MLB Awards voting results
* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox

* Tuesday Leadership Meeting Preview - Alton Dail.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Closer Look: Task force looks to shrink Illinoi.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....

* Demonstrations continue in police shooting of black teen
* Student in custody for allegedly bringing gun to school
* Correction: Closer Look-Government Consolidation story
* Man dies after trapped in central Illinois corn dryer
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* 3rd man charged with murder in Chicago triple homicide
* Cities, counties struggle during Illinois budget mess
* 1st weekend of Illinois firearm deer hunt beats last year
* Police investigate break-ins at 4 Champaign-Urbana hotspots
* Urbana chef taps family members for his kitchen staff

* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois budget mess
* Two file to run against Rodney Davis as candidates rush to beat Monday deadline
* Candidates rush to beat Monday filing deadline
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* Cities, counties struggle during Illinois budget mess
* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse

* Peoples' new owner urges no slowdown in high-cost pipe program
* CEO leaves struggling Broadwind Energy
* Illinois Obamacare insurer halts new small-biz enrollees
* Chicago cop's lawyer says he may post bond soon
* Chicago officer Jason Van Dyke posts bond, leaves jail

* Black pastors press Trump on his tone in closed-door meeting
* Source: FBI finds Burger King video not altered in Laquan McDonald case
* Brown: Voters can decide whether Alvarez has to go
* Ald. Harris quietly files to challenge Dorothy Brown
* A pair of young Blackhawks players made a trip to see Santa Claus
* Time for Blackhawks to shut down Jonathan Toews, the fighter
* Top-heavy Blackhawks still seeking a depth charge
* Cop who shot Laquan McDonald due back in court
* Cop charged in Laquan McDonald case bonds out of jail
* Is Anita Alvarez losing her Hispanic political base?

* Girl hurt in northwest Indiana shooting
* Cop in Laquan McDonald's shooting freed from jail on $150,000 bond
* Student with gun, ammunition arrested at Barrington High School
* 2 men, teen, wounded during shootings on West, Northwest, South Sides
* Coca-Cola workers authorize strike at plants in Niles, Alsip
* U.S. Senate, state's attorney's races take shape on last day of filing
* Man charged in threat at University of Chicago linked to Laquan McDonald shooting
* Man convicted in 1994 shooting seeks new trial
* Prosecutors: Alleged victim of cop assault unable to identify him
* Rauner, Madigan to meet, but little progress expected on state impasse

* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois budget mess
* Kathleen Parker: The pathology of Trump-itis
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* James Durkin: Compromise needed to restore Illinois' standing
* Bernard Schoenburg: Book on Blagojevich impeachment lets reader 'be right there'
* Andy Shaw: It's time to crack down on no-bid contracts
* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Kristina Rasmussen: Relying on one another, not the government

* N-G Top 10: Boys' basketball (Dec. 1)
* Monday's highlights: SJ-O girls outlast Tuscola in OT
* Boys' basketball games, tourneys to watch this winter
* Illinois' bumpy November in review
* UI volleyball ranked 21st in final poll
* UPDATED: UI chancellor: 'We needed some stability'
* Cubit's squad could qualify for bowl
* Ballot Breakdown: Men's side sees shift
* Tate: Time to cut Groce some slack
* Three arrested, fourth sought, in burglary spree

* Ravens win as time expires on blocked field goal return
* Warriors win 19th straight, 106-103 over the Jazz
* District 15 critic Sriram resigns from board
* Noah still providing spark for Chicago Bulls
* Three charged in beating of man lured to Aurora for sex

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Tightening L-1 Rules in Grassley/Durbin Bi......

* Manchin, Kirk introduce bill targeting gov......

* Paying for incarceration? What stops demands for better accommodations?
* Maryville Vote Took Place Tonight, Results Tomorrow
* Chicago Winter Overnight Parking Ban Starts Tonight
* Officer In Laquan McDonald Shooting Released After Posting $1.5 Million Bail
* Judge: State Must Make Payments For Home Health Care Worker Insurance
* Obama's State Of The Union Address Set For January 12
* Politicians Join Call For Anita Alvarez To Resign As Laquan McDonald Case Unfolds
* Democrats make bid to take over Chicago Republican Party
* Michael Malatesta interviewed on NTNM
* 7th Subcircuit race getting crowded, other last-day filings

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact