Two peas in a pod

Friday, Jun 14, 2013

* My Sun-Times column

Several months ago, I offered Bill Daley some unsolicited advice.

Before you decide whether to run for governor, I suggested to Daley during a phone call, you should take some time off and drive around Illinois.

Cairo, in deep Southern Illinois, is 370 miles from Chicago. It’s a whole other world down there.

Maybe take a day and head out to Quincy, which is about as far west as you can go in Illinois and where the economy usually thrives even during recessions. Quincy is almost 100 miles closer to Kansas City than it is to Chicago.

Tuscola is a 150-mile straight shot down Interstate 57, where Amish restaurants and shops abound. Peoria is home to thousands of Lebanese-Americans whose ancestors arrived 100 years ago.

This is a great big beautiful and weirdly diverse state, I told Daley. You gotta go see it and at least try to get your mind around it before you decide you really want to govern it.

Daley wasn’t interested. The votes needed to win the Democratic primary are in Cook County, and that was where he was staying.

Not long after I talked to Daley, another wealthy Chicagoan began traveling the state on a “listening tour.” Republican Bruce Rauner probably talked a lot more than he listened, but he spent over two months on the road and visited 50 Illinois towns and cities.

Rauner and Daley both jumped into the governor’s race this week. They travel in many of the same circles, so their lists of fantastically monied campaign donors probably overlap more than not. Rauner criticized Daley this week for being part of “the same old political dynasties,” but Rauner gave $200,000 to the campaign fund of Daley’s brother Rich.

Both men have long enjoyed lives of privilege. Rauner made himself super rich with an investment company and helped make Rahm Emanuel a member of the “one percent” with some sweet deals. He has a house in Winnetka, a nice spread in Montana and some expensive Chicago condos. He used one of those condos to establish city residency for himself (but not his spouse) and then allegedly took advantage of his political connections to get his kid into the ultra-exclusive Walter Payton College Prep.

But that bit of alleged graft would be small potatoes for a guy like Daley, the son of a mayor and brother of another, who has had careers in big-time banking, AT&T and the White House under two presidents.

Their messages are remarkably similar. Despite a lack of hands-on experience dealing with state government, they’re both completely confident that their record of lifetime success, superior abilities and exceptional intellects will allow them to forcibly drag Illinois kicking and screaming toward prosperity.

They are, in sum, the embodiment of entitled, wealthy white male rage. Daley freely admits that his anger pushed him into the campaign against Gov. Pat Quinn. It’s a decision he may live to regret.

Rauner obviously has a better chance of winning with an angry rich white guy message in a Republican primary than Daley does in a Democratic contest, even against the unpopular Quinn. And thanks to his “listening tour,” at least Rauner now knows what downtown Effingham looks like. Daley might not be able to find it on a map.

* Meanwhile, Roll Call reports that the state’s congressional delegation is avoiding the Democratic gubernatorial primary

Many Illinois Democrats in Congress are staying far away from the gubernatorial primary, according to a survey of the delegation by CQ Roll Call. The primary could prove pivotal for some Illinois Democrats, whose political future will depend on the gubernatorial race topping their ticket.

But even members who know both candidates, such as freshman Rep. Tammy Duckworth, declined to choose sides. […]

Other Democrats echoed Duckworth, including Senate Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin. His spokesman said via email that Durbin “isn’t going to get involved in the primary.”

Rep. Danny K. Davis proved the exception by saying he backed Quinn for re-election. But many of his Illinois colleagues said they were staying out of the race for now.

Freshman Rep. Bill Enyart “doesn’t plan on any primary endorsements in the foreseeable future,” according to his spokesman. The same goes for Reps. Bill Foster and Cheri Bustos, both of whom could face tough races in 2014.

“Congresswoman Bustos plans to stay neutral in the primary and has exactly one focus right now and that is serving the people of Illinois’ 17th congressional District,” Bustos spokesman Colin Milligan said.

Three more Illinois Democrats declined to comment about the race through their respective offices: Reps. Bobby L. Rush, Robin Kelly and Mike Quigley.

1. - wordslinger - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:17 am:

That’s why I still can’t quite believe Daley is for real. If he’s not, though, I don’t know what he’s doing.

2. - Bill_Baar - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:24 am:

I think Rauner’s credentials as a businessman on more solid footing than Daley’s, but agree they’re appealing to the same donor base with the “outsider” message. I had a couple of people who pay little attention to politics tell me they thought Bill Daley sounded awful on some radio interviews. Awful enough you started feeling embarrassed for him.

3. - Charlatan Heston - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:26 am:

@ Rich- Solid counsel to Daley and great description of our wonderfully beautiful and diverse state. A Chicago native, I spent time in Marion, Quincy, Alton, Springfield, Ana, Metropolis and other towns/cities around the state when I worked a state agency. I fell in love with the whole state after those travels…many would be wise to follow your suggestion

4. - Keyrock - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:28 am:

An old Chicago Magazine piece on Bill Daley, if folks are interested:

5. - dupage dan - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:29 am:

Are these guys the best of the best? Frankly, downstate democrats would do well to support a republican who is a fiscal conservative while being a social moderate and shake off the Chicago political yoke. Sure, Rauner’s trek could be viewed as a stunt but what would we call it if Daley did it? Inspired?

6. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:29 am:

That was good advice you gave to Daley, Rich. If he changes his mind, let him know I’m available and willing to be his tour guide. I’ve done 4 statewide campaigns and know enough about most every corner of Illinois to make it worth his time.

7. - walkinfool - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:32 am:

Agree.

I’m not sure “rage” is the right word. “Arrogance” certainly fits.

I’m certain Daley’s wrong for this.

I still have hope that Rauner is actually more sensible than what his words to the right wing have expressed.

8. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:35 am:

If you are not angry about the mess this state is in should you be running?

I mean Lisa doesnt appear to be angry, but then again she is part of a system that thinks the state (and those who run it now) aren’t all that bad.

9. - CircularFiringSquad - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:37 am:

“I give Rauner a lot of credit for his tour. Yeah, it was something of a stunt, but at least he tried to see a good chunk of Illinois.”

Might have really worked if there was one frame/inch of video in the barn dance video
    Still a hoax to us
    Fire Aim, Ready!

10. - Hey There - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:38 am:

I know it may not be directly on point, but I couldn’t resist commenting on the latest We Ask America poll. I don’t pretend to be an expert, but isn’t it logical to conclude that PQ narrowing the margins against Lisa so significantly from six months ago is probably largely attributable to her dad’s antics? I can’t think of anything which Quinn’s done or said in that time period has been “good” for him or anything which Lisa has done or said which is “bad” for her to explain the poll differences. I think the latest polls are the best political news PQ has had in ages. It should also make Lisa and her people realize that she will not be able to run without being affected by her dad. Who knows? Perhaps the Speaker may even realize this?

11. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:39 am:

Well said, Rich. As the old Tourism ads used to say (and even though word and I hate these ads, old and new) “just outside Chicago, there’s a place called Illinois. ”
    Rich Daley may not have hung out in Carbondale or Quincy, but he never stuck a thumb to the eye of downstate like this.

12. - Downstate - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:41 am:

Rauner has been all over downstate.
    A friend just attended his event in Clark County and said that he was asked a ton of questions……not one on social issues.

13. - grand old partisan - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:43 am:

“Despite a lack of hands-on experience dealing with state government, they’re both completely confident that their record of lifetime success, superior abilities and exceptional intellects will allow them to forcibly drag Illinois kicking and screaming toward prosperity.”

It’s one of the great paradoxes of modern politics. How can you gain the hands-on experience necessary without getting “dirty??” And how do you stay “clean” without being labeled inexperienced and naive??

My gut is that Daley and Rauner are the worst of both worlds: they lack relevant experience in the statehouse yet are still too connected to the corrupt and broken status quo. They are neither the “white knight” some think we need to break from the past, nor the inside operator who could actually get the wheels in the sausage factor turning again.

I think both parties could do better. But in a head-to-head, I’d still take Rauner.

Obviously

14. - Anonymous - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:45 am:

Wise advice to Daley and his response confirms downstaters suspicions. Thank you from ‘we uns’ down here. Excellent column

15. - Demoralized - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:52 am:

@Ron:

Angry isn’t a quality I look for in a candidate. I don’t care if they are angry. I care what they have to say about how they might govern. Righteous indignation about the state’s problems isn’t going to get very far with this voter.

16. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 10:55 am:

@demo

each to his own. Rich See’s them as Angry white guys… I dont see that. But you have to admit, we should be unhappy and even angry about how this state is run today. I for one would hate to see someone who is not upset about it running for office. (IE Lisa)

17. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:04 am:

=== Daley wasn’t interested. ===

This is disturbing. Always has been with candidates who act like this.

Are you running to be the Governor of Illinois?

Or the Governor of Cook County?

At least pretend you care about the rest of the state. Geez.

18. - Downstate - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:06 am:

Rauner’s multi-use slogan (whether he’s facing Daley or Madigan)

“Nepotism in state government is never good.”

19. - Belle - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:11 am:

Great idea — you tried to help Daley. Like so many Daleys, they don’t feel they need help since they know best.
    I have to wonder if he understands that the voters in Cook County are the voters most angry with him and his Bro? I am pretty sure that there are plenty of people who are tired of what this family has done to Chicago. I don’t think I need to list the items for your well-educated readers.
    40 years of the Madigan Family is enough for me too…sorry Lisa.
    In general, I’m tired of super rich people this year. Too much whining and not enough doing.

20. - RonOglesby - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:11 am:

Or the Governor of Cook County?

he’s running for the gov of cook co.

21. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:19 am:

===“Nepotism in state government is never good.” ===

Response for the Payton Prep Clouter Bruce Rauner;

“Who is Rauner kidding?” (whether he’s facing Daley or Madigan)

22. - Mason born - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:24 am:

I’m sorry but after the 2010 election why would Daley or Quinn tour south of Chicago? Quinn won 4 counties total. Cook and St. Clair are the only two that he won by more than 200 votes. Quinn proved that the only stops a democrat needs to make in IL is Chicago, Belleville, and maybe East St. Louis.

There are enough heritage voters who will vote for any name as long as there is a D behind it to prevent the downstate counties from building enough of a margin to overcome Cook and St. Clair. I know one. My Father-in-law should be walking around with a tea-party/NRA hat on from what he has to say about politics. But when he steps in the booth the only name he pays attention to is Democrat. I asked him one time why he votes for the same people he rails against. “Because Republicans are the party of the Company!” Apparently 30 yrs in the UMWA is enough to earn a lifetime vote.

Don’t get me wrong Rich it was still great advice to Daley and should be mandatory. However after 2010 why would a Chicago Dem waste his time.

23. - Bill White - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:28 am:

I agree completely with Word’s complete agreement:

=== I agree completely; Rauner and Daley are the same candidates appealing to the same donor bases and, to me, an undefined voter base with phony “outsider” messages. ===

Dan Rutherford’s Red Roof Inn persona will play well against both Daley and Rauner.

24. - wordslinger - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:34 am:

Anger is for the Perpetual Victim crowd who think a Man on a Horse can make everything better.

That’s not the way anything in life works, why would it in government?

Voters (and non-voters) get the government they deserve. Take ownership and fix it.

I’ve never known anyone who was worth a darn in a jam or in solving a complicated problem that went about the task in anger. A cool head that works is much better.

25. - Levois - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:36 am:

It makes sense if he recognizes that he has to win the Democratic primary and most of the votes are in Cook County. It certainly would give him a leg up in the primary and general elections if Daley would just get out there in the rest of the state to campaign. And that goes for anyone who wants to run statewide because there’s definitely more to this state than just Chicagoland!

26. - Bill White - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:40 am:

@Downstate

=== Republicans, in this part of the state, are laser focused on the fiscal issues facing the state…..unlike the incestuous leadership in Springfield. ===

Do you believe Rauner’s policies actually will help downstate folks? Or will they help the same people Bill Daley’s policies will help?

Daley and Rauner would represent the same people notwithstanding one being a “D” and the other being an “R”

27. - Reader - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:46 am:

@grand old partisan

- Great question about how to get experience without getting dirty. “Clean” government or governing experience could come from Illinois’ mayors (if any of them ever tried to run for higher executive or a legislative office) and they wouldn’t have the dirty hands of Springfield. Why aren’t our mayors running for state office? I hear about it all the time in other states, but rarely if ever in Illinois. Its as if Illinois mayors all die in office or just disappear after their tenure. If the ILGOP were smarter (which they are obviously not), that’s where they would be focusing their efforts. Seems like it would be a good way to rebuild the party from the ground up.

28. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:52 am:

=== However after 2010 why would a Chicago Dem waste his time.===

Because in a close Democratic primary race, Downstate can be crucial. Just ask Rod Blagojevich, if you can reach him. lol

29. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:54 am:

===However after 2010 why would a Chicago Dem waste his time.===

Boy you are telling me!

Signed, Paul Vallas

30. - Jim - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:57 am:

To characterize Rauner’s and Daley’s concerns about Illinois incredibly serious problems as “white guy rage” is an astounding trivialization of what we, as citizens of this state, face. It’s unworthy of so experienced as commentator.

31. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 11:58 am:

47, are you offering yourself up for a Daley campaign? Seems a little surprising coming from you!

And I continue to say that people on this board underestimate Rauner at their peril. In a weak Republican primary, Rauner could squeak through. And in a general, his true moderate pragmatic side could be very salable.

32. - Responsa - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:00 pm:

Zeroing in on the first and second paragraph of your excellent column, Rich, has raised my curiosity. From your unique and respected position have you also offered unsolicited advice to Rauner, Rutherford, Lisa or anyone else of the potential candidates by phone or in person? If so, are you willing to share any of those conversaions on this blog or in another column as well?

33. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:02 pm:

===…he (Rauner) was asked a ton of questions……not one on social issues.===

Welp, I doubt Payton Prep Clouter Bruce Rauner is not NOT going to face …

The Unconstitutional way of shutting down government question, or …

Bankrupting the Pensions option question, or …

The SSM question, or …

Even calling in “Clout for his Daughter”, through Democrats… like Bill Daley’s Brother, Mayor Daley’s appointee…. Arne Duncan…

“PPC” is going to face those questions… Hypocrite Candidates always have to face the music at some point.

34. - Rich Miller - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

===not one on social issues===

Yeah. There’s gonna be a statewide Republican gubernatorial primary and social issues won’t be important.

Right.

lol

35. - Mason born - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

Rich,

I yield to your point on the Primary. Perhaps this is Daley’s way of saying i really have nothing to offer the Democrat primary voters outside of Chicago so why try. After all what is he hanging his hat on being the Obama chief of Staff no one remembers? I’d bet half the voters who know Obama had a chief of staff can only remember Rham. (I am excluding readers of capfax)

For that matter i think Lisa will have a hard time in So. IL. The question to me is can Quinn capitalize on it?

36. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:30 pm:

===”I guess we’re done.”===

“Payton Prep Clouter, Bruce Rauner; avoiding the Social questions of Character…”

37. - wishbone - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

“…downstate democrats would do well to support a republican who is a fiscal conservative while being a social moderate and shake off the Chicago political yoke.”

While I agree, good luck finding one who would make it through the Republican primary.

38. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:10 pm:

47th — Can I come along? I love Illinois road trips! It’s a great, beautiful state, and I think one of the huge perks of being Governor is the ability to get to go see all of it and meet the amazing people who live here. (I’ve still never made it to Nauvoo or Quincy, but I’m planning a Mississippi River tour for some future date.)

Mr. Daley, you’re facing an uphill battle. But if you really want to boost your numbers, grab 47th and hit the road. You’ll pick up a chunk of D voters for the primary — not the kinds of numbers you’re looking for in Cook County, but maybe enough to put you over in a close primary. And I’m guessing that a Daley road trip would get plenty of attention from Chicago-based media folks — you know, there’s that whole thing about news being something that doesn’t happen every day….

If you actually took time to talk to people from every part of Illinois, and hear about their lives, their concerns and their hopes for the future, you’d come away with unexpected insights that would help you to create powerful messages for your campaign. And more importantly (oh, forgive soccermom for being a girl scout at heart), you’d learn valuable lessons that will help you to be a better governor.

(This message was brought to you by the Illinois Tourism Office…)

39. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

To your point, Rich

40. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:17 pm:

===It’s too early to figure out what Rauner believes and what is pandering, at least for me.===

- AA -, load up the Family Truckster, get the Con$ulting Team together, and we will take Rauner on a Tour. A real tour. Not an “O’ Canada” tour, but one where “B-Roll” has Rauner doing things he only mentions in his intro.

Make the Invoice, “Campaign Education Expense” and add another 20%, the - wordslinger - markup rules applying.

41. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:22 pm:

@FakePaulVallasCampaign - Hey ’soccermom’, thanks for reminding us. We guess every vote counts no matter where its cast #DownstateUpstateWholeState

42. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:35 pm:

For those of you too busy to click through — Rod Blagojevich came in THIRD in Cook County in the 2002 primary.

43. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:39 pm:

Soccermom, I’d be happy to do a road trip around the state with you and 47, but couldn’t we find someone else more fun that Bill Daley to take along? Kind of drops a wet blanket on the fun we’d have.

44. - Formerly Known As... - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:46 pm:

Bill Daley: “I appreciate Rich’s suggestion. But what I did not share with him during our tete-a-tete is that I do not need to tour the state because my partner as Lieutenant Governor is already on a road trip serving as my eyes and ears.

Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly introduce my running mate:

47th Ward.”

On second thought, don’t. Your head may explode from too much greatness.

45. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:58 pm:

The Con$ulting Firm can’t even get Rauner to take a meeting, so I guess LG is not in the cards.

@FakeJasonPlummer - Hey @Willard_Blank, I know all the kool place to hide, I mean “campaign” so call the Bank or Lumber Yard #MyTurnToHelp

46. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 2:18 pm:

Mom, you may certainly come along. One of the ground rules will be no stops at chain restaurants: local spots only. The Mormons rebuilt the temple in Nauvoo so that is now a must-see.

Cynic, don’t read too much into the offer, but I’ve worked with Bill before and he’s actually a nice and funny guy with a million good stories. The problem is, most of his political stories are about his dad’s era and he’s going to need fresh material for 14. That’s where you, me and Mom can help.

FKA, if Willy and I share the stage it’ll be two shows per night with the later one NC-17. We split the cover charge and get a take of the two-drink minimum bar action. We could do a modern version and hilarious send-up of Lincoln-Douglas at each of Illinois’ fine casinos.

47. - Langhorne - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 2:29 pm:

“Daley wasnt interested.” That says it all.

I have posted something similar several times. Mark browns recent column nailed it, by ticking off a handful of dem county chairs who have had zero contact w daley. At least pretend you want to represent the whole state.

48. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:01 pm:

47th, you insult me. Chain restaurants? are you kidding?

And Cynic — if you, 47th and I joined Daley’s team, that would be interesting….

49. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:03 pm:

And I would pay real money to see 47th and Willy play the Illinois casino circuit.

50. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:05 pm:

And by interesting, I mean — GOSH, IT WOULD BE A LAUGH RIOT!

(Now I am sitting here getting all said because we’re not going to have a really fun summer scooping up random D votes in riverside towns with awesome diners…)

51. - wordslinger - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

–I’m sorry but after the 2010 election why would Daley or Quinn tour south of Chicago? Quinn won 4 counties total. –

The county argument is so meaningless. I don’t know what to say about it anymore.

One person, one vote. Winning GOP candidates have understood that and don’t waste their time feeding not-so-subtle red meat to the Chicago haters.

No Dem wins without putting up good numbers Downstate. No GOPer wins without putting up respectable numbers in Cook.

Count me in on the state tour. Short list of suggested stops:

–Mississippi Palisades State Park (beautiful)

–Lowden State Park (Blackhawk)

– the confluence of the Mississippi/Missouri (Lewis and Clark)

–Galena (Grant, hills and bars)

–Cairo (history)

–Lewiston (Spoon River)

–Starved Rock (beautiful and Pere Marquette)

–Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge (amazing)

– Springfield (the Dome and Lincoln, plus bars where I’m on good paper, maybe)

– Champaign (incredible university, plus down to Green Street to see Chief Illiniwek’s duds)

–Moline for The Belgian Village’s big reuben on raisin bread

–DeKalb for Twins Tap, because home is where they always have to take you in.

52. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:24 pm:

===47th, you insult me. Chain restaurants? are you kidding?===

Wasn’t directed at you, it was directed at Daley. I spent a lot of time driving Paul Simon around Illinois back in the day and he always insisted on eating at McDonald’s. I kid you not. I couldn’t believe it, but I swear it’s true.

53. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:32 pm:

- 47th Ward -,

Count me in on ALL above, including the stops - wordslinger - suggested, then we do the Casinos for - soccermom -!

Would be a blast. Instead of the Rat Pack, how about us all be the Fax Pack with Rich as our Leader.

54. - Cincinnatus - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:38 pm:

- Formerly Known As… - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 1:46 pm:

“Fast-forward a few months. Now picture the Guv Lite debate featuring 47th vs. Oswego Willy.”

55. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:39 pm:

Willy, I may have to park the “Family Truckster” and go with either a “Crossover” or “Stretch Minivan” to hold the gang that wants to be part of this road trip. After all, co$t is no object.

I’ll drive and bring the “Fuzzbuster” because we could be stuck for hours if this crew had to try to talk our way out of a ticket.

@FakeJasonPlummer Dad Can I have summer off at the Lumber Yard? Please? I just read about the Koolest Road Trip on Kapitol Fax! #Roadpops #ICanDriveToo

56. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:42 pm:

Great itinerary Wordslinger. I’d add Schooners in Bloomington, Old Shawneetown, the old state capitols at Kaskakia and Vandalia, Cave in Rock, Ft. Massac and a must-do photo-op in front of the Superman statue in Metropolis before the show at Merv’s casino.

Come to think of it, we might need a designated driver for this statewide pub crawl.

57. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:44 pm:

- AA -,

When we Invoice this trip, make sure everyone gets their “share” and Rich gets 2 points above the Vig for the Casino Act.

58. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:45 pm:

That’s about it Cinci, just add more booze and a lot of swearing.

59. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 3:54 pm:

Willy, we’ll use “Private Equity” fees here. They will understand that and the math works out to about Vig+2.
    Look what it did for these guys.

60. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 4:23 pm:

47th — Did I never tell you this? the first time I met Paul Simon, he was running for Senate. I was working at UPI and went downstairs to the Burger King. When I got in line, I realized I was standing behind Paul and Jeanne Simon.

He ordered two bacon cheeseburgers, then stood there patiently waiting for his order. I introduced myself, then said, “Shouldn’t you be shaking people’s hands or something?”

He said, “No, I don’t want to bother people while they’re eating.”

He won anyway…

61. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 4:24 pm:

No pictures without waivers signed. Don’t forget confidentiality agreements. lol

Like a statewide Vegas trip…

62. - soccermom - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 4:35 pm:

I WANT TO JUMP ON A CAMPAIGN. Boohoo.

63. - Chicago Cynic - Friday, Jun 14, 13 @ 4:35 pm:

Thank Goodness you put Cairo on the list. No journey around Illinois can be complete without the beautiful Quincy banks of the Mississippi and sadness of a once great town like Cairo.

64. - Internet Marketing Dublin - Monday, Jun 17, 13 @ 6:53 pm:

Very section content material. I located your blog plus in accession capital to talk about that I receive actually beloved profile a person’s blog page discussions. However We will be checking within your increase and also We fulfillment you have perfect involving entry to persistently promptly.

* *** UPDATED x1 - Quinn campaign responds *** Rauner campaign responds to firestorm over Sun-Times reporter's sidelining
* New Quinn ad hits Rauner on nursing homes
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Sun-Times sidelined reporter after Rauner campaign intervention
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Quinn campaign responds to Sun-Times endorsement decision
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's cable TV buys
* Readers to Sun-Times: Tell us how to vote!
* Quinn demands Rauner unseal deposition
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Good news, not so good news
* September 23 through October 15?
* That's life, baby
* Sparring partners
* Not that this is a surprise, but Quinn's mom loves him
* When a "fact check" is neither
* Rauner: We settled case "because we're nice folks"
* "The Myth of the Incumbent 50% Rule"
* Ebola breaks through as political issue in Illinois
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: LSSI tickets, radio, poll, etc.
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's edition of Capitol Fax
* Good morning!

* Verizon site CSS spills the beans on Motorola’s Droid Turbo
        * Google’s Nexus Player now approved by FCC, no pre-orders yet
        * iFixit tears down the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K Display
        * Nexus 6 price is right
        * Inside The Spotify – Echo Nest Skunkworks
        * Our 5 favourite new Windows Phone apps of the week
        * Flickr Launches Updated iOS App with Full iPad Optimization

* IBM Appears Close to Selling Chip Unit to GlobalFoundries
        * Jason Voorhees Is Here to Terrorize Your Computer, Maybe Corrupt Some Word Files, Too
        * Here’s a Twitter Debate Worth Reading
        * Lessons from Doctor Who: “Scared Is a Super Power”
        * Tweet a Short Story for a Chance to Win a Copy of Margaret Atwood's 'Stone Mattress'
        * Your Home Insurance Might Cover the Receipt of Counterfeit Money
        * Google’s New Android Ads Make Fragmentation Cool (Videos)

* Lost in Isolation: A White Sox fan abroad.
        * Pnoles' 2014 White Sox offseason plan