* One down…
The Regional Transportation Authority’s top administrator, one of two agency executives facing a state harassment probe, announced his retirement Tuesday.
The transit agency said Joseph Costello, the RTA’s executive director since December 2010, intends to step down at the end of February “to pursue the next chapter in his life.” […]
The announcement did not include any mention of an investigation by state Executive Inspector General Ricardo Meza’s office into allegations of sexual and racial harassment directed at Costello and his chief of staff, Jordan Matyas, who is House Speaker Michael Madigan’s son-in-law.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported in September that the Meza probe is focused on anonymous sexual and racial harassment complaints against Costello and Matyas that allegedly were made at meetings and were lodged more than a year ago. […]
“These accusations are part of a smear campaign orchestrated by those who would rather that the RTA not be empowered by law to provide the real, effective oversight that is so desperately needed to ensure that northeastern Illinois has an efficient and world-class mass transit system,” Matyas said in a prepared statement earlier this fall.
The announcement came just two hours after the RTA canceled a special meeting Wednesday of its Compensation and Human Resources committee. The purpose of the meeting, which had been called Monday, was unclear but members were scheduled to have a closed session to discuss “personnel.”