I just gotta say…

Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014

* Two weeks away felt like two months, mainly because I had such a fantastic time and didn’t take my laptop with me. But i’m really glad to be back, and not just because I missed my puppy.

This Capitol Fax thing has always been more than just a job to me. It’s pretty much my whole life, which my remaining friends can probably attest to. No regrets, though. Just the opposite. I have the best job in the world, or at least in Illinois. And I’m happy to be back and in the thick of things again today. It’s why I drove home yesterday. I truly wanted to get back to work. I love this stuff. Who wouldn’t?

There are some stories that broke while I was away which I didn’t get to today because I’m still trying to catch up on other stuff as well. Worry not. We’ll get to as much as we can.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how happy I am to be here.

- Rich

1. - Keyser Soze - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

Welcome back Rich.

2. - Very Old Soil - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

And we are so happy that you are back!

3. - RetiredStateEmployee - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

And we are happy you are back.

4. - bored now - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:25 pm:

always good to love what you do. that’s what makes it the best job in the world to you…

5. - K. Miller, no relation - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:30 pm:

We’re glad you’re back, too! You shouldn’t miss a smidgeon of 2014. It’s going to be a very interesting political year!

6. - RNUG - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:30 pm:

Welcome back Rich.

Doing what you like AND gettng paid for it is the best job anyone can have.

7. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:32 pm:

Missed you, Rich.

The best thing about being away is the catching up with old friends, and getting back with your cohorts in crime as if nothning changed.

Thanks for having this place for all of us to hang out.

===Anyway, I just wanted to say how happy I am to be here.===

Right back at you. OW

8. - Roadiepig - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:32 pm:

Even if the news isn’t good for me personally (as a recent retiree) , the Capitol Fax is my daily fix of Illinois politic news. We all missed you while you were taking a much needed holiday break. Welcome back ;-)

9. - Amalia - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:35 pm:

blub. welcome back.

10. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:39 pm:

Some people listen to music at work, I read Capitol Fax. Obsessively.

Don’t get me wrong, I still get a lot of work done, and don’t think my constant attention is a waste of my employer’s time. I’m a lobbyist, so this is part of my job, influencing the debate wherever possible.

I still can’t quite believe I was nominated for a Golden Horseshoe this year and am blown away to share it with RNUG. As a long, long time reader, I am generally awed by so many commenters here. The wit, the great writiing, the excellent observations, the history lessons, the civility and collegiality, even of those with wildly opposed political views, there simply is no better forum than Capitol Fax.

Thanks for all you do Rich Miller. And please don’t ever stop.

11. - Give Me A Break - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:41 pm:

I was simply lost without you Rich, but I understand you need to get away and work on that beard for the next season of Duck Dynasty.

12. - Calhoun Native - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:45 pm:

You are simply the best at what you do. It was a pleasure to meet you in 2013. And thanks for the beer. I’m looking forward to reading your blog and the best commenters anywhere in 2014.

13. - Earl Shumaker - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:49 pm:

Rich-

Glad you had a great time–but also glad you are back! Also, I know your puppy is very glad “his person” is back.

As we start a new year let me tell you how much Capitol Fax means to so many of us. It truly is one of the few places available to us that provides us with in depth Illinois political information that we could never obtain through the mainstream media

14. - Vandalia - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Welcome back. I was going thru withdrawal while you were gone. I need my Capitol Fax.

15. - sal-says - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 5:01 pm:

Good; first thought was a ’swan song’.

Paraphasing the Lone Wolf McQuade flic: ‘We need you, ranger’.

16. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 5:13 pm:

We need this kind of reporting and conversation.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to interact on so many important issues.

And congrats to MrJM for runner up to the Golden Horseshoe award for best commenter!

17. - RNUG - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 5:29 pm:

47th,

You deserved the GH; you were in my list of people who deserved it. I was also honored to be selected and glad to share it with you.

18. - Jake From Elwood - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 5:35 pm:

I was incommunicado when the best commenter award was being selected. Man, did the CapFax voters get that one right this year. 47th Ward is a bright and articulate advocate who brings some levity to this site as well. RNUG is a pension powerhouse who brought the goods this year. I thought I was pretty conversant with pension issues, but RNUG is an expert. Thanks Rich for giving a platform to excellent commenters like these (any many others) even though we have to deal with a few bozos as well… Happy New Year.

19. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 5:47 pm:

The best for you in 2014!

20. - Diogenes in DuPage - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 6:15 pm:

Can’t start my day without visiting your blog. It’s more insightful than Drudge, Politico or HuffPo — but maybe not as funny.
    Welcome home! & thanks.

21. - G'Kar - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 6:27 pm:

I don’t comment often, but I am an avid reader the last two years and I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned from Rich and the commentators. All the best in 2014

22. - MrJM - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 6:36 pm:

Always good to see the CapFax lights back on, Rich!

– MrJM

23. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 7:29 pm:

Happy to see you back safe and sound. Those long Illinois journeys of a few hours can really refresh one’s heart, soul, and spirit…had one of those myself several months back, drove through a down-to-earth, hustling-bustling place called Washington, Illinois for the first time in my life for the adventure of it on that trip, and little did I know what our brothers and sisters there would be facing a few short months later. Life is strange like that…but things do happen for a reason. Welcome back to your work which many of us are happy to see you engage in day-to-day, and may the Good Lord bless you, your loved ones, Oscar the Pup and the good People of Illinois in the New Year ahead for whatEVer our Maker sees is in store for us…!

24. - CircularFiringSquad - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 7:44 pm:

Looks like you were able to out poll Scott Reeder in the WA Post best state political writer
    Bet that eases your mind :)

25. - Nearly Normal - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 7:51 pm:

Glad to have you back on duty, Rich. This should be an interesting year.

26. - walker - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 8:09 pm:

Home is where the heart is.

My days just wouldn’t be as rich without this blog…. Thanks mark

(walkinfool)

27. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 8:44 pm:

Happy New Year, Rich. We’re glad to have you back and look very forward to another exciting year of Illinois politics, especially because it’s an election year.

28. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 9:15 pm:

Welcome back. Enjoyed the FB “travelogue.”

29. - Publius - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 9:21 pm:

You were missed and it is good to have you back…it was fun to follow your travels on fb, but it ain’t the same as the blog.

30. - Super Fly - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 9:57 pm:

Rich, Those two weeks seemed like two months to me also.
    Similar to Diogenes in DuPage, I can’t end my day without reading Capitol Fax. A daily must read and exceptionally informative.
    Happy New Year!

31. - tubbfan - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 10:25 pm:

You are a blessing for us who choose to live in Illinois!

32. - Sunshine - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 10:31 pm:

Probably the only times that “Bite me” actually makes me laugh. You are the greatest!

33. - mokenavince - Tuesday, Jan 7, 14 @ 10:34 pm:

Happy New Year, glad your safe.

34. - FormerParatrooper - Wednesday, Jan 8, 14 @ 7:14 am:

Thank you for what you do sir. A job that is a Passion is a real blessing. May 2014 be a even better year.

35. - Mittuns - Wednesday, Jan 8, 14 @ 8:58 am:

Glad you are back, Rich. I refreshed the page repeatedly over the past two weeks with thr anticipation of something major breaking, but, alas, I was simply greeted with that trio of disturbing Christmas videos.

I greatly appreciate the website, especially now that I’m not so much in the Springfield loop.

* $3 million in one pop from Rauner
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - State House fundraising report
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Has the haymaker punch arrived?
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - State Senate fundraising report
* Third straight poll shows Rauner leading Quinn
* Last call for tickets!
* Vast Majority of Illinois Voters Support Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency
* Sun-Times reporters want you to sign their petition
* Same song, different century
* Quinn finally wins a newspaper endorsement!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's cable TV buy report
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Crosstabs, TV ads
* Report: Another tie between Rauner and CS-T chairman
* Bost's "anger," Cook's ratings, Foster's ad
* $580 MILLION EXELON RATE HIKE?? That’s the price tag for their nuke bailout…EVERY YEAR!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner pumping dollars
* Rauner pushing IDOT back into the news stream
* Gov. Quinn runs new TV ad featuring FLOTUS
* No, your eyes didn't deceive you
* Good morning!

* A first look at the Nexus 9
        * Galaxy Lollipop plans, Apple sapphire future, Amazon flops & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Sidecar Tests A New “Commute” Service, With Discounts When You Pay For A Week Of Morning Rides
        * Sony 12-inch tablet may be in the works for early 2015 launch
        * Moto X (2014) Review
        * How to use Continuity in iOS 8 and Yosemite (Video)
        * Monster Strike arrives for North American Android users

* iPad Mini 3 Cracked Open By iFixit, Gets a Poor Repairability Score
        * Leak Reveals A List of Countries Where Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Will Launch
        * Sony Rumored to Launch a New 12-inch Tablet Next Year
        * Nexus 6 Pre-orders To Begin In Canada on October 29th, Starts At 749 CAD
        * Samsung Sells 4.5 Million Galaxy Note 4 Units In The First Month (Report)
        * Samsung Galaxy S5 To Reportedly Get Android 5.0 Lollipop Update in December
        * Tongue in Tea: Tongue-Shaped Silicone Tea Infuser

* Konerko caps stellar career with Clemente Award
        * Konerko caps stellar career with Clemente Award
        * World Series Game 3: Notes and discussion
        * Rollins, Konerko named co-winners of Clemente Award
        * Alexei Ramirez and Adam Eaton Gold Glove finalists, but maybe not f...
        * Longtime scout Provas passes away after battle with cancer