New Rauner ad attempts to preempt union barrage

Thursday, Jan 9, 2014

* From the Rauner campaign…

“Springfield is broken and too many career politicians are controlled by the government union bosses and special interests who make their money from the government,” Bruce said. “They know I’m the only candidate willing to shake things up and that scares them. Voters will be able to see right through their attacks.”

* Rate it

It’s a good idea to warn voters of an attack on the horizon. No doubt. But he’s gonna have to eventually deal with the substance of those attacks, whatever they’ll be. My bet is on his close connections to lots of Democrats like Rahm Emanuel.

1. - Demoralized - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:11 am:

Well, at least he said the problem isn’t government workers.

2. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:11 am:

Did anyone else notice in the 15 seconds where he was speaking, he didn’t blink once? It was cut a bit, but still… I understand it looks bad when someone blinks non-stop. But not once? Came off as kind of weird to me.

3. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:12 am:

===My bet is on his close connections to lots of Democrats like Rahm Emanuel.===

That is my bet too. “Big Time”

Good on the Rauner Crew to try to head it off, but like you Posted, at some point, the facts, the idea of the vacations with Rahm Emaunel and Rahm’s FAMILY at the Rauner Ranch, and the connection to Rich Daley and the clouting of the Denied Daughter…and the tens of thousands of dollars… they ain’t hyperbole, all that happened, and connecting Bruce Rauner so personally to those Dems, yeah,…

“You have to answer for Rahm, Bruce.”

4. - Roadiepig - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:13 am:

(B)Bruce Rauner’s campaign for governor released a new television ad today explaining why government union bosses are preparing to attack Bruce in an effort to try to hijack the Republican primary.
    (/b)

Isn’t “hijacking the Republican primary” exactly what Rauner is trying to do? A long time history of supporting Democratic politicians (that could benefit him personally ) sure makes for a great Republican

5. - Robert the Bruce - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:21 am:

Rauner is trying to say “ignore the content of their ads…the unions are afraid of me - I’m the right guy, republicans!”

I’m hoping this won’t work: Rutherford should have enough money to run his own ads making the same points.

6. - Robert the Bruce - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:22 am:

==Did anyone else notice in the 15 seconds where he was speaking, he didn’t blink once?==

Maybe he’s trying to one-up Quinn. “I will work day and night…without blinking…”

7. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:28 am:

“…and special interests who make their money from the government.”

He said that with a straight face too.

8. - Henry Clay - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:33 am:

The key for Rauner is to single out “union leadership” as his target and to educate the union “rank & file” that he isn’t going after them. Bruce needs to make the union “rank & file” realize that their job security (and their wallets) are going to be much better off after he gets elected. When I talk to young union workers (age 35 and under) they have no clue as to who or what any of the political candidates are or what they stand for. They only know that they are totally dependent on their union leadership to get called back to work through their union hall. Most I have talked to don’t even necessarily like their union leaders. They believe their union leaders are grossly overpaid for what they do but they are afraid to upset them or go against their wishes. These young union workers have house payments to make and kids to feed. That is all they need to know so “they are going to do whatever they are told to do” by the union leaders for fear they will not get called back to work otherwise. I can’t say that I blame the young rank & file workers for “following union leadership’s orders”. That is a big hammer union leadership holds over their heads.The young rank & file worker’s “union leaders” hold the same power as God when it comes to the financial well-being of the rank & file’s family.

9. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:33 am:

I don’t think there’s any value to a pre-emptive ad. He’s asking people to discount an attack that hasn’t happened yet. How do you do that? There’s no context.

In his world, I’m sure he thinks folks are hanging on his every word, all the time. In reality, there’s a lot of other stuff on TV.

10. - MrJM - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:39 am:

And after that, he can convince them that water ain’t wet.

– MrJM

11. - Norseman - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:42 am:

It’s good to be rich. You buy ads for any topic at the drop of a hat.

12. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:42 am:

I seem to be running on the same track as word today. A bit further along, however, I’m no longer interested in even viewing Rauner’s ads–even once (which is very odd for me, especially from an analytical perspective).

You really have to wonder whose pockets he’s filling through all these ads and why by setting this precedent. Looks less and less like someone who is “not obliged” to anyone or someone who doesn’t have to buy success.

13. - Wensicia - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:42 am:

14. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:43 am:

–Rauner needs to get the message to the young rank & file that “he is going to be the gubernatorial candidate that best represents their interests” despite what their union leadership tells them.–

LOL, you can’t be serious!

15. - Henry Clay - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:49 am:

I am waiting for Rauner to come out with another political ad stating, “I promise not to find state political jobs at taxpayer expense for my family members, relatives, or friends. Illinois taxpayers have already had a belly-full of political dynasties being established at taxpayer’s expense. I promise you that everything I plan to do as governor will put more money in the taxpayer’s pockets. That is how I differ from my political opponents and critics. Your best interests determine my decisions as your governor. Special interest groups will no longer be at the head of the governor’s line.”

16. - Madison - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 9:56 am:

I don’t believe that this guy understands a couple of things about the process. Illinois is a labor state. If the labor unions united on a single GOP candidate, the crossover voting would kill Rauner off. These folks dont need to spend a whole lot of money anyway unless they choose to. If they lose at that level, they could choose to give money to the Libertarian candidate and split the right wing vote to a certain extent. Either way, theres a reason Illinois has not elected a conservative candidate in almost a generation. Rauner is head on into a fools errand.

17. - MrJM - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:00 am:

“I promise not to find state political jobs at taxpayer expense for my family members, relatives, or friends.”

Yes, please. That would provide a perfect opportunity to ask Baron Carhartt for details about his clout calls to Arne Duncan that got his kid into Walter Payton high school.

– MrJM

18. - Toure's Latte - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:02 am:

“For God’s sake get that cork back in!!!!”

19. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:05 am:

===A great counter attack would be a parody style of commercials (a la SNL) featuring Fake Bruce Rauner trying to explain away all his connections with Democrats, Walter Payton College Prep, and his state business connections.===

“Picture this …”

Internet Ads like the “Hammer and Shake” pictures…with;

A look-alike, dressed in a Carhartt, arms out, becuase the Newness of the coat doesn’t allow for the arms to go all the way down to his side…a “Payton Prep” t-shirt, seen with the unzipped Carhartt open, standing next to a Rahm Emanuel full size cut out, under one of the extended arms.

Words underneath?

“Bruce ‘Baron von Carhartt’ Rauner; Fooling Voters while Looking Foolish”

Just a starting point(?)

20. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:09 am:

Like me, a wealthy venture capitalists whio made millions off the “broken” state pension funds.

“…and special interests who make their money from the government.”

21. - Sinclair's Ghost - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:10 am:

Henry Clay - with all due respect, what are you smoking? He’s not going after the rank and file?? Saying that he thinks there should not be a public pension system and that Quinn caved by not forcing AFSCME to go on strike? Rauner’s continual boasting about how he helped create charter schools? All this guy is doing is going after rank and file.

22. - AFSCME Steward - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:12 am:

How exactly is he going to do nthat ? He wants to strip me of the pension I worked over 30 years to earn and eliminate state employees right to collective bargaining. His rhetoric may be saying he only wants to attack union leaders, but his already stated policy positions are an attack on every state employee, even those in merit comp.

“The key for Rauner is to single out “union leadership” as his target and to educate the union “rank & file” that he isn’t going after them. Bruce needs to make the union “rank & file” realize that their job security (and their wallets) are going to be much better off after he gets elected”

23. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:15 am:

When you compare Illinois to Wisonsin or Indiana and talk about busting unions, and shutting down government …

…make no mistake, “we” are going after the rank and file.

A union is no greater than its membership, and if you break a union, you are breaking the memebers in the union. Every single one of them.

Hmmm. Wonder if those 2 PACs are more fired up to go after Baron von Carhartt after yesterday.

Also,

Where o’ where is the screaming from the mountain tops, BEFORE all this blew up, about this Bus Tour?

Was the Bus Tour … stealthy?

I see The Twitter and The Facebook have scant few referneces…

Ok, is Baron von Carhartt pulling a Jason Plummer?

24. - langhorne - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:19 am:

seriously? who is more of a special interest than being one of a very small number of guys who get allocated tens of millions or more of pension money, again and again, to play with? if you make $53 million handling OPM, sit down and shut up about special interests.

a jeff foxworthy format might be effective. you might be a special interest insider if….

–you make $1,000,000 a WEEK, investing state employee pension money

–you buy a third luxury home in chgo to clout residency for your daughter to attend school, while your wife lives in winnetka

–your campaign is funded by X number of buddies who drop checks for $100,000, or $200,000 at a pop

–your montana ranch vacation house guest is rahm emanuel

–you contribute $100,000? to gov rendell, then a few weeks later get X million in state pension funds to invest

25. - Wensicia - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:20 am:

“Bruce ‘Baron von Carhartt’ Rauner; Fooling Voters while Looking Foolish”

Heh..

26. - Smoggie - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:21 am:

The “front it” strategy works well when you know the substance of the attacks.

For instance, any good trial lawyer will tell the jury about any testimony that may hurt the case before the opposing party mentions it. For instance “My opponent is going to get up here and tell you that my client did not give him a scaffold when he fell. That’s absolutely true. You are going to hear my client admit that he didn’t do it, and here is why . . .”

Again, that strategy works great when you know the substance of the attacks.

However, when all you’ve got is “those mean people are going to come after me . . .” it is not nearly as effective. There is nothing to front. All it tells you is that there may be some other ads out there, paid for by people who don’t like him.

Of course, watching the ad, I’m not sure if this is really fronting an attack, as much as it is a stand alone attack on government unions. And I suspect it may have been even stronger without the “these people are out to get me” line at the start. That was unnecessary and just doesn’t seem to add to his argument.

27. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:21 am:

“Most I have talked to don’t even necessarily like their union leaders.”

Yeah, right. They want a billionaire to come in and cut their salaries and benefits. This must also explain why they overwhelmingly ratify contracts, and why they staged a massive strike in the CTU and elected Karen Lewis as its president.

Let us disabuse folks about the idea that union members don’t like their leaders. That idea is being used by Rauner to indirectly attack union members by providing a false rationale to cut their salaries and benefits. Rauner and other wealthy conservatives famously hate unions–members and leaders.

Also, union leaders are government workers. They are presidents of locals, and they are on contract negotiating teams.

This line of attack may work at some right wing media outlet, but it won’t work here. You’re not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

28. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:24 am:

===Maybe someone could set up a fake twitter account, too, like Emanuel had when running for mayor.===

That would be fun.

Like …

@FakeBruceRauner - I have been reading all the negative tweets about me. Once I buy The Twitter, they will stop. “Big Time” #HowMuchDoesItCostIllBuyIt

29. - langhorne - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:25 am:

if you are a likely republican primary voter, and you see this ad, i think it has little effect, other than to make you curious about what the unions have to say.

i think whatever support rauner has is mainly name recognition, not firm commitment to the guy. i just dont see his efforts thus far moving very many likely republican voters.

30. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:26 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - Some of my best servants make min. wage! #WeUnderstandTheLittleGuy

31. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:28 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - Ok, ok, they can make $10. an hour, like a dollar or two makes a difference in rasing a family anyway #LetThemEatCake

32. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:31 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - I don’t get out of bed for anything less than $250K a work day. #WeUnderstandMinimums

33. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:31 am:

Too much, too little, and already way too late, Henry Clay.

If there’s one thing that’s become painfully clear to your average Joe in Illinois recently it’s that it isn’t only taxpayer dollars that corrupt–it’s campaign dollars, too. Paying back, paying forward, paying for doing it sideways…you name it, they’re doing it, collecting money for it (often to hide what they’re doing), and calling it a “perk.”

And why should that matter to your average citizen because it’s probably not their money anyway–besides perhaps the occasional, hard-earned $75 they might contribute and/or time volunteered to “pound the pavement” to help a candidate because they foolishly “believe” that he’ll actually represent their interests?

It’s because stuff exactly like what Rauner is doing makes it impossible for your average Joe (and with the new precedent he’s setting, even many above-average Joes) to run for office…and to stay IN office with such a bunch of corrupt louts pushing good and honest people out.

THAT, using exactly that kind of language, is what Rauner’s competitors should say and probably will. Especially if he makes it through the Primary.

And don’t worry, Mr. Rauner. We’ll be sure to thank you for spending all that money to reinforce that message for us even further.

We need more like you and your campaign advisors–and that’s not snark this time.

34. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:33 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - My mistake? I should have just bought Payton Prep, then I could just deny any kid I want, whenever! #CloutingWithCashIsEasier

35. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:36 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - Judge Smails had it right, “The world needs ditch diggers too”, just not at $7.25 an hour, that was the mistake. #SaltInTheWoundForTheSaltOfTheEarth

36. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:39 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - Why are some calling me “Mr. Pink”? #HereIsATipWatchOpenOfReservoirDogs

37. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:46 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - Resting tonight, watching my team play. Just like the simple folk, kinda-sorta #DidYouKnowGotPartsOfBullsRedSoxAndSteelers

38. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:49 am:

@FakeBruceRauner - This is not class warfare. #NoClassWantingToLowerMinWage

39. - PublicServant - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:55 am:

Bah, he’s just trying to use the “Hate the Unions” issue. In effect, he’s saying vote for me if you hate the unions, because no one hates them more than me. Oh, and just so the folks who have been screwed around by their evil union leadership know, if you vote for me, I’ll help you get rid of them. Then you’ll be good…I promise…really…seriously.

40. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 10:58 am:

Word, I’m with you on this particular ad. I’m not sure that folks are paying attention to politics after the holidays-and with snow up to their keisters in many places.
    The ad that ran between Christmas and New Year’s, for those who saw it, was probably what we might be talking about this week had Flip not filled his mess kit on the minimum wage issue. This one touted his record on education reform and his support of charter schools, among other things. What Payton Prep?
    A lot of dough and a lead is just the time for unforced errors among newbies, and the Rauner Crew put 2, 1 huge, up in a week.

Meanwhile, in Fantasy Commercial Land:

Fake Rauner (in vest, button-down and jeans) is standing in the kitchen blabbing about being a regular guy when “white-gloved butler” appears stage left carrying 2 jewelry boxes.

“Mr. Bruce, what timepiece will we be wearing today? It’s Tuesday, and you usually like the Gold Rolex on Tuesdays.”
    (Opens box full of fancy watches)

“Smithers, where is my $18 Timex? You know, my favorite!”

“Mr. Bruce, you told me to give that to the assistant day landscaper at Winnetka because he was always late to work.
    The Rolex, and what car will we be driving today? Miss Diana insisted that terrible old Dodge be towed away. How about the White Range Rover? I don’t think the kids are using it today.”
    (Opens second box full of luxury car keys.)

“It was a Ford! A Ford, Smithers!

41. - A guy... - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 11:05 am:

Having the resources to communicate does cure some ills. I still think the “timing” issue is an important one. Better to get the inevitable out of the way sooner rather than later. Time will tell. If he follows the strategy that’s been set, this is just the first in a series of ads to combat what will come down the pike. Testing any candidate is a good process. It’s definitely his turn in the barrel.

42. - overcooked - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 11:09 am:

After establishing himself as the smash and shake candidate, Rauner attempts the victim angle. All gimicks, no substance!

43. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 11:10 am:

===I still think the “timing” issue is an important one. Better to get the inevitable out of the way sooner rather than later. Time will tell. If he follows the strategy that’s been set, this is just the first in a series of ads to combat what will come down the pike.===

lol, people will be reminded, time and time again, “Bruce Rauner said he was in favor of reducing the minimum wage”, and the Unions and the PACs, especially in the General Election, if Baron von Carhartt makes it that far, are going to hammer him, like Romney’ “47%”, as rich and aloof, and someone who cares very little about working people, and even less about the unions trying to just protect that $1 Bruce Rauner wanted to take away.

No legs, this will be gone by Friday.

44. - concern1 - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 11:40 am:

Bruce…how much you willing to put up to buy the governors office?

45. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 12:02 pm:

“‘Smithers, where’s my $18 Timex?’”

“Smithers, do bring my my Raisin Bran. I do want to start the day the right way.”

46. - A guy... - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

Willie, every gaffe has an elongated political life…for everyone. Romney’s 47% comment has the dubious distinction of coming at perhaps the most unfortunate time in the history of electoral politics; that close to the election. That is what my point was about timing. The comment will live on for a long time, no question. I’m willing to wager he’ll be “making fun of himself” for making it soon enough. Elections are about actions and reactions alike. Time will tell how he deals with it. You wanted him tested, well, here’s a test. I’m as curious as you how it get’s dealt with.

47. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 12:24 pm:

About that timing …

If I were the two PACs, after going after the Rahm and Dems angle, the next best angle is the elitist, who cares very little about those NOT in the 1%, and nothing like audio, to be played over and over, especially on cheaper radio, to make a point.

Rauner makes fun of himself every day with the wearing of the brand spanking new Carhartt. He just doesn’t know it.

48. - Person 8 - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

For some reason when I watch that ad I start saying to myself:
    Cut that meat, Cut that meat.(In my best Peyton Manning voice)

49. - skeptical spectacle - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 12:59 pm:

connections to rahm and to democrats only serve to strengthen his position in the general…making him more attractive to democrats. I don’t think he really cares if he is associated with prominent democrats because it only strengthens his campaign in the general.

as for the primary, not sure it’s gonna matter at this point.

50. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:01 pm:

===as for the primary, not sure it’s gonna matter at this point.===

You keep telling yourself that…lol

51. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

The next 8 weeks of Ads connecting Bruce Rauner to his pal Rahm Emanuel will sting.

If they wouldn’t Baron von Carharrt would be touting his vacations with Rahm Emanuel.

Wouldn’t he?

Don’t make it about me, Bruce is the one close to Rahm. Bruce is the one donating tens of thousands to Rahm and Rich Daley and Dems.

Why do you care, no one is listening, especially to me, right?

52. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

–connections to rahm and to democrats only serve to strengthen his position in the general…making him more attractive to democrats.–

Rahm’s a popular guy, is he?

53. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:20 pm:

“Voters will be able to see right through their attacks.”

I could see the ad now. Some working and retired teachers talking about the years and dedication they put into their jobs, and the middle class salaries and pensions they earned and need to survive, and their feelings about a billionaire candidate who made a lot of money off of their pensions and who wants to diminish the retirement of future workers and smash their unions.

54. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

–Some working and retired teachers talking about the years and dedication they put into their jobs, and the middle class salaries and pensions they earned and need to survive, and their feelings about a billionaire candidate who made a lot of money off of their pensions and who wants to diminish the retirement of future workers and smash their unions.–

That’s for the general, if Rauner makes it that far.

Before the GOP primary, it will be all about defining Rauner — the billionaire who dropped millions on Democrats, pal o’Rahm, and Stu Levine pay-to-play guy.

55. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

word, the only problem with the retired teacher ad in the general is that it’s just as damaging to “Put on Earth to solve this” Quinn as it is to Flip Rauner.
    What a choice that will be if it comes to pass. I’ll be writing in OW.

56. - skeptical spectacle - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

–america the beautiful playing in the backround of the ad, bruce standing in his carhart jacket on a farm somewhere at harvest time–

“Hi my name’s Bruce Rauner. I’ve been very fortunate to have great success in life. I believe in the freedom and opportunity this country affords. I want the same for my children and grandchildren.”

“Right now the state of Illinois is being run by career politicians and union bosses who threaten to take away our god given right to freedom and the pursuit of prosperity.”

–pictures of madigan, quinn, oswego will flash across the screen briefly–

“I’m the only candidate in this election who can stand up to the unions, mike madigan, and the career politicians in Springfield because I can’t be bought.”

“the unions are giving millions of dollars to pat quinn who won’t stand up to them” [not really true, but heck it’s a political ad, right?]

“they are spending millions more spreading lies about me in attack ads so i can’t protect your freedom and your ability to pursue prosperity.”

“Let’s save our state and send the unions and career politicians home packing. Vote for Bruce Rauner. Save our state.”

–Rauner turns and gets into his 1976 ford f-150 and drives off down the country lane, his yellow lab chasing him affectionately–

57. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

- skeptical spectacle -,

(screen cap of 1st fram of - skeptical spectacle - Ad)

Bruce Rauner wants you to think he cares about Illinois, but don’t let a coat and a pickup fool you.

Bruce Rauner’s firm has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to carrer politicians, hoping to secure pension work in Illinois and Pennsylvania too.

When Bruce Rauner isn’t trying to donate to politicians like Rich Daley or Rahm Emanuel, Bruce Rauner vacations with Rahm Emanuel at one of his 9 hoomes

(cut to picture of Bruce and Rahm, black and white)

All too cozy with Chicago Bosses.

(reverse negative of Bruce and Rahm for 5 seconds, fade to black, go back to 1st screen cap)

Bruce Rauner is not who he says he is, and that is not good for Illinois.

58. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 1:58 pm:

- AA -,

Glad to see you are back on the team, I thought I lost your write-in to - Soccermom -, but I hope the Tom Hagen “hug” did the trick.

OW

59. - Boone's is Back - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

What’s with the triple zoom in? Very distracting and kinda weird.

60. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Jan 9, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

“Before the GOP primary”

When you combine that with Rauner’s flip flop on the minimum wage, the “regular guy” schtick and the smashing of the teachers union and defined pensions after making lots of money off of the teachers pension fund, you got a guy who will do and say anything to win. I think that’s the bottom line.

* Ridiculous allegation withdrawn
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Adventures in governing
* Rauner on Obama: "One of the most anti-business presidents we've had in the last 70 years"
* Callis recycles ad, reportedly lowers buys
* *** UPDATED x2 - Frerichs responds - Cross responds *** Frerichs says Cross is Rauner's "lapdog"
* Poll: Rauner leading by 6, Topinka up by 22, Cross up by 10
* Pumping up the base
* NRI head will testify next week
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Another day, another GTCR revelation
* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* NVIDIA Tegra-powered Honda Connect infotainment system introduced
        * Nexus 6 gets a massive set of mockups and leaked photos
        * iOS 8 Translator Keyboard Introduces Easy Access Language Translation Capabilities
        * Apple Watch changes, Sony Xperia Z3X, Galaxy Note 4 dates & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Apple Pay gets a rumored ETA, three weeks from now
        * Fashion industry working to accommodate today’s larger phones
        * Science Inc.’s Refame Connects Influencers With Advertisers On Vine And Instagram

* $1,500 for Google Glass? Faux That!
        * Crouching Tiger, Meet Billy Madison: Now Netflix is Making Movies with Adam Sandler, Too
        * Can’t Make it to Giza? Explore the Pyramids With Google Street View