Full steam ahead

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014

* If people believe that the last week of negative stories about Bruce Rauner has dampened the candidate’s enthusiasm, they prolly have another think coming

Embattled Republican gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner appeared energized and combative at a Republican candidates forum in Oak Lawn on Monday night.

“You know what, there’s an old saying in politics: ‘If you want a friend in politics get a dog.’ You know what, I got a couple of terrific bird dogs, and I’m ready to rumble,” Rauner said. “We’re good to go. This is going to be a very, very fun race.”

Most rich guys hate this sort of crud, but he obviously loves this stuff. More

[Rauner] said the campaign for governor is going to be “rough and tumble,” adding that, “the Democrats are going to have a ton of money and they’re going to come and bomb us every day.

“You know what, we are going to bomb them right back. Quinn has the worst record of any governor in America, and we’re going to make sure every voter in this state knows it every week,” Rauner said. “We’re going to get him out of office, I promise you that.”

He told the audience that the “government union bosses are coming after us right now. We’re the worst-run state in America for one really powerful reason. The special interest groups that make their money from government and own Springfield.”

* And he was energized and unapologetic on Roe Conn’s show this week…

* Related…

* Zorn: Why Rauner is unrepentant as questions grow louder in high-school admissions controversy

1. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:05 am:

“Bruce Rauner” is a “salesman”.

Good salesmen know, good attitudes close sales!

#1 Cadillac El Dorado
    #2 Set of Steak Knives
    #3 You’re fired

2. - Cassiopeia - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:12 am:

The school placement situation certainly sounds different when he explains it. It doesn’t matter if he is just a good salesman, or if he is obfuscating the truth, he can drive the issue to at least neutral.

3. - walker - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:12 am:

Get those bird dogs out in the field, with your new jacket, and do a “John Kerry” hunting scene for the campaign.

We’ll believe it.

4. - jim - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:19 am:

what is the obsession with Rauner’s jacket? don’t other candidates wear jackets, too? in fact, don’t we all wear jackets?

5. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:20 am:

How can someone run against “corruption” and defend his actions in regards to Payton Prep? It’s the definition of how big money can buy government favors unavailable to others.

6. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:22 am:

===what is the obsession with Rauner’s jacket?===

Dude, you don’t know?

It’s a total prop designed to hide the fact that he’s not a working man.

Why do we know this? Because it’s so clean and fresh. Real working men wear dirty Carhartts. lol

7. - Rahm'sMiddleFinger - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:23 am:

The Roe Conn interview is a must listen. He tries to explain the clouting as “advocating for his children.” Still leaves more questions than answers.

8. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:24 am:

“You have to answer for Rahm, Bruce”

Happy-Go-Lucky, or not.

Quinn will love the Payton Prep stuff;

Rich Guy, taking possibly from a poor City kid and family, trying to get ahead..,

Payton Prep is only behind the now graduated, Denied, New Trier Daughter, and only behind her.

9. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:25 am:

It comforts me to know he’s having “fun”.

It doesn’t comfort me to know he’s playing this off like some kind of a bored rich man’s game.

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:29 am:

Owning a Carhartt, I bought at “Farm and Fleet”, even a Dope like me knows - new Carhartt, bad form in Kendall, great way to be seen as a fake or poser.

Wore it “out if sight” for 3 weeks, broke it in, got some dirt, then wore it. I am not a Farmer, never pretend to be, but good way to stir up trouble is wear that type of coat and pretend to BE “just like them/us”

Rauner’s coat still has the “shine” of newness with all the fake wearing he has done, lol

11. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:34 am:

The real question is how long after he loses the primary till he contributes to the Quinn campaign??

12. - concern1 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:34 am:

This state is in so mych MORE trouble if rauner wins and our choices are between him and Quinn….what a mess!!!!!

13. - medium rare - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:34 am:

Mr Rauner just needs to keep saying the above over and over and over again and he will win.

Put out press releases detailing how much the unions are spending against him directly and indirectly.
    Over and over.

Explain in oversimplified terms how political patronage works, give simple examples of eggregious political patronage and let the typical Illinois citizen compare that to themselves…..over and over and over.

This Payton thing is a joke, every parent understands trying to get their kid into a good school. Non issue. Sorry Mr Willy, no legs. Mr Rauner just admits to trying to do what is best for his kid and family and that’s it. No further words needed on the subject. Same answer to same question over and over again until it dies in a short amount of time.

14. - Meanderthal - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:45 am:

Getting your mug on TV a lot will do that for a guy.

15. - medium rare - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:47 am:

Simple message all voters understand”

1)All voters in Illinois pretty much think this state is a joke, politically, fiscally, etc. At my work place, I don’t go one day without hearing a joke about how “bad the state of Illinois.” The state is currently held in very low esteem by its citizens.

2)Rauner needs to repetitively paint a simple picture of why the state is in this mess and what the prohibitions are to solutions, which he is currently doing (union bosses, career pols, insiders).

3) He will explain how the big union money, etc controls all the pols, and since he can’t be bought he is the unique candidate to set change in order.

4) “I love this state, I love this country…I appreciate freedom and opportunity to pursue prosperity and if we allow status quo to continue these opportunities won’t be here for OUR children and grandchildren.”

5) “our taxes will go up while our schools continue to worsen…..vote for me and I will put an end to special interests running our state into the ground.”

16. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:51 am:

- medium rare -,

Funny thing about telling that story over and over;

The more smug, the more elitist, and the more wrong a suburban denied daughter of a clout-heavy father called and got that non-Chicago denied daughter in us heard, the more and more it will rip apart the $18 watch, the new Carhartt, and the image of not being an “insider’s insider”

I love that Rauner talks, I want him talking.

Using “baloney” will be a small drop of water to the flood gates.

17. - medium rare - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:56 am:

Sorry Mr Willy,

18. - MrJM - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:56 am:

A man fell out a skyscraper window and plunged towards the earth. But as he passed by an open window, he was heard muttering to himself, “So far, so good… so far, so good…

– MrJM

19. - Speaking as a parent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 10:56 am:

“. . . every parent understands trying to get their kid into a good school. Non issue. Sorry Mr Willy, no legs.”
    Medium rare, I am a parent and I do think this is an issue. This issue cuts to the heart of the basic fairness of the system and the willingness to screw another deserving child for your own does not make you a good person no matter how much you couch the action in family values.

20. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:00 am:

“government union bosses”

Rauner: “Hello, are you a public union employee?”

Employee: “Yes.”

Rauner: “Tell me what you think about your leadership.”

Employee: “I hate them. The state is broke, and they go and negotiate for the best possible salary and benefits. For example, how can they give me a raise? I can’t stand the raise I got in the last contract. That puny increase in my health insurance contribution? They should have made me pay much more, just like workers in the private sector. Why do I have it so good when everyone else is struggling?”

Rauner: “See, I knew it. Do you have anything else to say about your horrible union bosses?”

Employee: “Yes, much more. Why did my union file a grievance to return casework to caseworkers when the union should have just let a private contractor do the job for much less money? Why are they always fighting to stop layoffs?”

Rauner: “I’m loving this. Keep going.”

Employee: “Darn right I’ll keep going. The greedy pig union bosses of mine filed a grievance so that I can receive the wages I was promised. They went to court, and the court eventually ruled in my favor, because the judge is another Quinn socialist. They keep doing this kind of stuff. Contracts should be torn up, we should be laid off and our wages and benefits should be cut to reflect the private sector. The state is broke, and asking the wealthy, like yourself, to pay a higher income tax is redistribution of wealth and socialism. We will all go broke if we raise the wealthy’s taxes, just like the Kenyan socialist wants to do to turn this great country into North Korea.”

See, Rauner is right. Unionized public workers are victims of their leaders and can’t wait until he’s elected governor.

21. - langhorne - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:01 am:

so, basically, everyone was clouting back then, so no big deal. besides, she almost qualified. its just that the average parent doesnt get to call arne and get his call returned w advice.

did arne make a call to the principal on rauners behalf?

did mrs rauner actually move into the city, as bruce says? did the other kids? what schools did they attend and where–winnetka or chgo?

rauner is a fast talking self described salesman. just keep pounding away.

22. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:07 am:

If the other candidates had a message then Rauner’s clout issue would resonate. The three stooges are a sad lot.

23. - too obvious - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:10 am:

Well no one ever accused Rauner of being a wimp. Sure, if you’re a guy like Rauner who is used to associating with and putting guys like now-convicted felon Stuart Levine on the payroll in order to snag state business, you’re used to this kind of hardball.

24. - flea - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:11 am:

25. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:11 am:

Medium

So let me get this right. Bruce Rauner (who has more money then God) instead of simply sending his daughter to any number of exceptional Private Schools in Chicago (which i could never afford) chooses to use his political clout and vast wealth to get his daughter into a charter school. Thereby taking a spot my child (who is not so advantaged) could have qualified for. But hey any parent can understand a father doing the best for his child right? No sir that is called a Wealthy Political Chicago Hack using the corrupt system to take away oppurtunities from better more humble folks. Ya no legs at all.

Now just so you know i am an independent who will absolutely vote in the Primary and the election. The only person who could make me vote for Quinn is Rauner. You can’t be an integral part of the Corrupt Culture you are lambasting and still call yourself the outsider.

I hope Bruce is paying you to bury your head in the sand.

26. - Speaking as a parent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:17 am:

query . . . Who wouldn’t trip another child in a race that your child wanted to win?
    There’s help and there’s “help.”

27. - Ravenswood Right Winger - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:19 am:

Mason born: Walter Payton prep is a magnet school, not a charter school. Substantial difference. the point remains that Rauner clouted his kid into Payton. What say you, Arne Duncan?

28. - The Captain - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:19 am:

You know what, Bruce Rauner says “you know what” a lot. You know what, it’s rather noticeable. You know what, now I’m saying you know what a lot. I’ve been infected, [shakes fist] RAUNER!!!

29. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:21 am:

flea

A guy with a self announced hundred million dollar net worth can’t afford an equally good or better private school???

30. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:25 am:

This can be explained with the old “tree falling in a forest” meme. If a candidate royally screws up but his opponent doesn’t have enough money to make a sound, did the candidate screw up.

Rahm is toxic. The clouting your kid into Payton because New Trier wasn’t good enough should have legs. Minimum wage flip flops should really hurt. But none of it matters because to the public’s eye, there’s only one candidate running.

31. - olddog - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:31 am:

@ flea — it’s a moral issue. What kind of a parent would tell their kids they don’t have to make the grade, they can just call a guy and buy whatever they want?

32. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:39 am:

My observation from talking with GOP members in the community is that the tea party types are buying completely into Rauner’s message. They are loud and supportive.

The long-time party establishment members remain very quiet regarding Rauner. The rank and file GOP voter seems to still be considering all their options.

It also seems that long-time GOP members are not comfortable with the Tea Party types, but prefer to listen and nod rather than voice their differences.

Rauner is still a force to reckon with, but I feel the silent majority will emerge to support Rutherford or Brady.

33. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:40 am:

- Chicago Cynic -,

The “3″ may or may not be able to, the Unions and “2PACS” will get one, and then another shot at Rauner.

No one has gone after him yet. I mean “go after” him.

Rahm is toxic. Clouting through Daley’s Chicago is toxic.

No one knows, not do toxic.

On Point, - Chicago Cynic -

34. - Sprocket - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:42 am:

It seems to me he’s turning out to be more like a Bloomberg than a Gidwitz, a Hull or a Krislov, surrounding himself with pollsters and media advisors he LISTENS to and using his massive war chest to implement their game plan. Doesn’t seem to be a shrinking violet or a micromanager. If the pattern holds true, I would imagine there’s a ton of very creative offensive and defensive TV, radio and direct mail (to Rs and Is, of course) in the can ready to at least mute — if not refute — the labor attacks. He probably knows the message they’ll run against him better than they do.

This is getting more interesting by the minute.

35. - Walter Mitty - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:45 am:

I think the real key is in what the restaurateur said after sending the Farmer away…. Last comment, Nice Guy. I think with the money to get his message out… Anecdotal comments like this, are telling. Along with the horrible mess we are in… It has been said before, people that meet him actually like him… Salesman? Sure. Successful at it? Yep. I think going back to the Speaker naming him after the pass of the pension bill was also telling. I said it then, I am more reinforced now. The establishment fears him. Clearly, they should. I am not saying he will beat PQ in the General. But it becomes closer by the day. What can PQ run on besides class ware fare? It worked for President, perhaps folks are feeling burned. Or not. That is why I am the broken record of the referendum. Which, I should get some of that OW money for pushing it…. I think he has a better shot now more than ever. Yep, I am Rich. If you had the ability to call Arne and ask please consider who wouldn’t among us? Agreed because he is now running for office it is a story. But he owned it… The gas is running out…

36. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:54 am:

He is probably upbeat because he has some internal polling showing he is still ahead despite the negatives.

37. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:54 am:

“Owning it” is answering question.

A Jay Levine “one on one” is not “owning it”

When Rauner has to stand up in a debate, or an open presser, getting peppered , and not laughing, at you, me, Jay Levine, and answers for Rahm, then the gas will run out.

Even his Twitter is telling:

Five days ago, great to be in Decatur.

Next, 4 days later, pension band aid .

So? The guy has a $32K bus tour for what, a holiday?

Can’t talk, so run past it with Jay Levine, and hope Rahm and Dem connection can hold out as Rauner is already going to try to play Al McGuire’s “Marquette 4 Corners”

The “3″ are letting him, will the “2PAC” make us all hear the tree fall.

Don’t. Know.

38. - Chicago Publius - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:14 pm:

I’ve noted this before, but it’s worth repeating. When Rauner pretended that he and his daughter were “residents” of Chicago, he was committing a crime. But beyond that, there’s a pretty bright-line test between what people would find acceptable and unacceptable. Raunder didn’t just “advocate” for his child. His conduct was CRIMINAL, GREEDY, and SELFISH. Unlike 99% of the kids in Illinois, his daughter had a host of options to go to a good school — including New Trier. And the problem with his conduct goes further than that: Tell me this, Lord Bruce. If you are so convinced that Karen Lewis and the CTU are the problem with education, why did you send your precious daughter to a school staffed by the CTU? The fact that Brucey sent his daugther to a CTU school only demonstrates what the CTU and most people recognize: the problem with many of the schools is NOT the teachers; it’s the lack of resources combined with a more-or-less open enrollment. Hey, Bruce: if you care about school reform, why don’t you advocate for measures that will deliver the same amount of money to ALL schools per child as is now delivered to Payton (including the funds associated with capital equipment and improvements)?

. So, tell me this, Lord Bruce:
    criminal, greedy, and selfish conduct goes ruther

39. - GulfVet - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:15 pm:

40. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

===I like Rauner. He is not like the other career politicians that have made a profession turning IL into a broke joke. Rauner cannot be bought and he tells it like it is. I respect him for caring enough to run and make our state better. Others with his resume and money would just bail to a better state. Rauner is a fighter and not a typical politician. I know many people that are going to vote for him just because of who he is not ! ===

Of course he won’t leave. Selling one residence is a pain in the rear. He’d have to unload 9(!) to leave.

41. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

“I’ve noted this before, but it’s worth repeating.”

It’s really not worth repeating-

42. - Because I said so... - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 11:25 am:

BINGO

43. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

Had to ask Danny the contractor who is doing work now at my house (that my wife wanted done)about his Carhartt (very worn): “As far as wear and tear the Carhartt is the best jacket you can buy for a contractor. They are even quilted; you can’t get better.” I had to ask. Now I to want one.

44. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:22 pm:

===It’s ok to want what is best for your family and kids, and he just needs to say over and over again, with no further elaboration with absolutely no contrition. With the exception of people like you who are trying to manufacture ways to kill his campaign, people understand that. ===

His daughter didn’t need the help. The student he screwed out of Payton Prep did.

45. - Empty Suit - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:24 pm:

But your just a citizen not a politician ..obviously familiar with all things political.

46. - Soccermom - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

Here’s a question: How much would it hurt my future if I pull a GOP ballot in the primary? Because I think I really have to vote against this guy…

47. - medium rare - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

Carhartt?

Got a good friend who is a general surgeon. Makes a good living, but on weekend rounds at the hospital he loves to wear Carhartts, camo hunting pants, work boots, seed corn caps. He drives a big pick up truck, like all the farmers around here.

Now for some reason, he just feels good wearing those types of clothes. He can afford suits and does wear them at times. His wife has a Mercedes. He doesn’t farm any ground whatsoever. But he just likes to wear this stuff……it’s just part of his identity, not all but part.

Only difference between my buddy the surgeon and Mr Rauner is that my buddy the surgeon isn’t running for office.

Some rich dudes just don’t fit the mold or caricatures that we try to impose upon them.

Trying to make a big deal out of a Carharrt is a very bad sign for his political enemies. Now THAT is a stretch and sign of weakness.

48. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:32 pm:

===query…..Who would not try to help their children get into a school they wish to attend? ===

Since appeals such as these are as much about Rauner’s daughter getting into a college of her choice (which appears to have been Dartmouth), as they are about her getting a good high school education, I’ll be frank. With Rauner’s money, all she needs is a diploma from a halfway decent school with halfway decent grades. This is especially true for Dartmouth, because even Ivies don’t run around antagonizing wealthy alumni donors who have buildings on campus named after them.

49. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

There is no way to spin or explain away the clouting of his daughter into Payton so it really is the savviest political move to just act unapologetic and indignant about it and play the just trying to get the best for my daughter card the same way Richard Nixon survived politically with the Checkers speech.

50. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:44 pm:

- Soccermom -,

Hire AWillyWord Con$ulting, and you “will be fine”

A “free” one:

“Take 10 minutes to see who the real ‘Bruce Rauner’ is and was with the packets provided, and you will have your answer as to why the GOP ballot in 2014. - Soccermom - is ready for questions…”

You have - AA -’s numbers?

51. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:48 pm:

-medium

The other difference between Rauner and your surgeon friend is that Rauner didn’t go out into the countryside or wear clothes like that before he decided to try to buy the governorship of one of the largest states in the country.

52. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

“My best friend’s cousin’s nephew wore a Carhartts when he passed out at ‘31 Flavors’ last night!”

You can like them, you can buy them (I recommend 100%), you can even think its awesome-looking…

To go around the state as a candidate, and using that coat and image as a prop to be something you clearly are not…

Embarrassingly pathetic.

53. - Ghost - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

Other stuff aside, imho evil union bosses is not a message that will drive people to the polls. Antecdotally I don’t here people complaining about evil unions or union bosses that much. Minimum wage however does seen to resonate; the poor leader stuff also seems a meh. By comparison Rainer would do what? He opposed pension reform and increasing pay for poverty level employees. That will resonate. And since most counties in il have public employees in unions, IMHO, if he wants to win he need to be more like Poe and drop the anti union anti worker message

54. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

–Rauner cannot be bought and he tells it like it is.–

Rauner’s a buyer. Which “tell it like it is” are you going with on minimum wage?

I –respect him for caring enough to run and make our state better. Others with his resume and money would just bail to a better state–

Why would you bail from a state where you made a billion? Doesn’t compute.

55. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 12:57 pm:

- DuPage Rep -,

These are negatives, no one yet has gone negative!

When the heavy artillery starts, if it starts, you will know.

This is tiddley-winks. Rauner has faced nothing negative versus $1 million a week in Ads. Nothing.

If you think this is “negative”, heaven help you and Rauner.

56. - medium rare - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

college student,

How do you know that?

You don’t!

57. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:03 pm:

Medium

Don’t forget sooner or later Rauner has to put down the multi-million dollar megaphone and actually answer questions. Instead of sending representatives to issue statements. Sooner or later the salesman has to deal with the crappy product.

–Three of the candidates, state Sen. Bill Brady, state Treasurer Dan Rutherford and state Sen. Kirk Dillard attended the Will County Tea Party forum in Plainfield, but the front-runner — Bruce Rauner — was a no-show.

An empty chair was placed on stage for Rauner, who asked that a surrogate read an opening statement for him, a request that was denied.–

58. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:06 pm:

- medium rare -,

Only a phony would think wearing a new Carhartt in “the field” is acceptable.

After all the berating, the coat is still new, the rhetoric is tiring, and trying to fool people with a prop other use as a work cost speaks volumes as to Bruce Rauner’s opinion of real working people.

59. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

medium

It can be inferred by the absence of a jacket that actually looks like it has been broken in. If he had one of those, why not use it?

60. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

Roe Conn interview: The pneumonia explanation could give cover, if not some sympathy, for the beating Rauner has taken on this issue.

61. - Chicago Publius - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

You know those guys who zoom into the parking lot, race their fancy SUVs and cars across the lanes, and skid to a halt in such a way as to take up 3 parking spaces right near the store entrance? Rauner acts like that kind of guy: reckless, arrogant, and greedy, always pushing to get more than his share, squeezing out opportunities and chances for others simply because HE CAN.

62. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

Brand new Carhartt barn jackets are not comfortable. They are stiff and they make your arms feel as if they cant bend. These coats need to be washed and beat on several times before wearing.

Unless you plan to spend an entire winter in the Polar Vortex, do not purchase the black lined jackets. The red lined jackets are best for Midwest winters,

Personally, when working outdoors in the winter, I prefer Carhartt bib-overalls with a hooded sweatshirt, but I am not sure how that would look in a campaign ad.

63. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:42 pm:

- EMS -,

I had this discussion once about a downstate race, fall General Election;

Do you go Carhartt bibs, flannel shirt, work boots for mailing, or go safe and go “worn” work Carhartt, and “Deere” type hat.

Answer?

“What does ‘X’ wear normally when seen by friends and family?”

Last time I thought about staging with Carhartt or work coats.

64. - Madge - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

How is Rauner wearing a Carhartt in a picture any different than Rutherford standing next to a woman in a picture ?

65. - Chicago guy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:08 pm:

In regards to the school issue, I’m reminded of the Mayor Richard J. Daley quote “If a man can’t put his arms around his sons and help them, then what’s the world coming to?”

66. - MrJM - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:09 pm:

“I’m no Bruce Rauner fan, but no one cares if Bruce Rauner is a phony and Bruce Raunder isn’t a phony, anyway.”

Ask Bruce for a new script, kids.

– MrJM

67. - Soccermom - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:09 pm:

Dear Madge,

In considering whether to pull a GOP ballot in the primary, my only question was which one I would actually vote for. Thanks to your comment, I have now decided to vote for Rutherford. Thank you.

68. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:16 pm:

==I like Rauner. He is not like the other career politicians that have made a profession turning IL into a broke joke. Rauner cannot be bought and he tells it like it is. I respect him for caring enough to run and make our state better. Others with his resume and money would just bail to a better state. Rauner is a fighter and not a typical politician. I know many people that are going to vote for him just because of who he is not !==

Paid for by Rauner for Governor. I think Rich needs to send his campaign a bill for advertising.

69. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

Madge, unless you work for Rauner, it’s unfair of you to associate him with your comment.

If you want to talk that trash, speak for yourself.

70. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

- Madge -,

You are just as classy as the person you support.

Speak for yourself next time, inserting Rauner, on your part is Bad Form. That is about as much as I can post without getting banned.

Dope.

71. - Jorge - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

Rauner’s utter hypocrisy is the problem many have with him, myself included. He gives money to Rahm and spews dogmatic red meat when it suits his purpose of the moment. At least the others running have been a little more consistent in actions and words.

72. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:01 pm:

Raunerbots,

I, personally, only engage you for mocking pleasure, and see how many talking points you spew. That is why I, personally, call it tired.

While you and/or the Rauner Crew think its important, here, to be “heard”, never answering questions but in the firm of the talking points… it ain’t changing who “Bruce Rauner” is trying to fool, and this site has no time for fools.

Sooner or later, the Trolls tire us all, but changing no minds, and winning nothing on points.

All the best, but recognize that the $18 watch and brand new Carhartt are as phony as some of these “just so happens…” Posts.

73. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:01 pm:

The Levine issue will dwarf Payton Prep as a Rauner headache. Rauner has to have thought so often why (or maybe how) did I get hooked up with Stuart Levine.

The hits keep coming. Greg Hinz just posted about Rauner’s Stuart Levine problem.

74. - PoolGuy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

medium rare,

really is this the first election or campaign you’ve ever followed? if so congrats, but wow you seem very naive about all this. this is a blog about politics, it’s all fair game here.

75. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

Yep Samurai,

It’s not who he is friends with or who he vacationed with or what school his daughter went to but how he made his money that could do him in.

76. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

Raunerbots. Ha. Mr. Willy only engages to defend the true object of his affection, Tom Cross.

77. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:30 pm:

- DuPage Rep -,

Seriously, you must be “new”

Last time, if you think Tom Cross and I are tight, buds, whatever, we are not. Please, learn.

I am in Oswego, I want Oswego to continue to be a player in state politics, and Tom can so the job.

Tom Cross’ Crew would rather I go away, if they even cared about me, so that “connection” is laughable.

I am all about snark at times, even ironic snark. Your lack of English comprehension reminds me more why Jason Plummer was chosen to lead supporters.

Oswego Willy does not equal Tom Cross and the Cross Crew cares even less than I do.

Yikes!

78. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Touchy touchy Mr. Willy. My English comprehension is just fine. Was it Shakespear who wrote words to the effect “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” A Willy not a lady.

79. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

Now you …are just embarrassing.

What’s next blue grass and green sky is real too? lol

80. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

Only the grass you smoke about Oswego being an Illinois powerhouse.

81. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 3:45 pm:

“Powerhouse”?

Says who?

82. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:03 pm:

Say you player.

83. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:06 pm:

I will go ” Pulp Fiction” on you..

“English, do you speak it?”

In what world is “player” and “powerhouse” equal - lol.

A “4 Top” - Player.
    Statewide official - Playet

Not powerhouse.

Dude, get a thesaurus!

84. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:28 pm:

No I mean player, player.

85. - DuPage Rep - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:28 pm:

I was quoting Shaft.

86. - Mason born - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:30 pm:

Willy

Thanks for demonstrating why the Raunerbots stay on script. On their own just isn’t pretty.

87. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:36 pm:

It may not be pretty but it’s pretty amusing

88. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:36 pm:

The questions, the questions…
    Mr. Rauner: When did GTCR obtain an interest in CompBenefits (CB)? How many employees at CB? How long did GTCR have an interest in CB? What was your position and role regarding CB? Have you ever met Stuart Levine? When and how? When was Stuart Levivne appointed as a consultant to CB at $25,000.00 per month? Who decided to appoint Stuart Levine? What were Stuart Levine’s consulting duties for? Who did he report to at CB? Did you speak to Stuart Levine about obtaining pension business for GTRC?

89. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:38 pm:

“He will explain how the big union money, etc controls all the pols”

Ha ha, that is funny. Rauner’s a one man special interest, the way he’s spending his opponents into oblivion to get the governor’s seat.

Others will explain how Rauner wants to smash teachers and their pensions after his firm made lots of money managing them.

90. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:42 pm:

- DuPage Rep -,

Either get some “game”, get a thesarus or get a clue…

- PJW - & - Mason Born -,

They can’t help themselves, they are “interestingly boring”(?)

91. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Willy, don’t feed the trolls player.

92. - Snucka - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:52 pm:

Wow! Rauner’s camp spent over $4,000,000 in the last quarter and about $7,000,000 to date. Unreal. I guess the spending will be at full blast from wire to wire.

93. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 4:56 pm:

- AA -,

I know. I ma just a mess today. lol

First its “Plaxting”, now this…

I think if - DuPage Rep - is a Troll, they got to start giving him/her better game material.

“#Raunering” lol

94. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 5:09 pm:

@Samurai:

I question how hard or effectively the other candidates can hit Bruce on the Stuart Levine angle when some of these guys got political contributions directly (Rutherford) or indirectly (Dillard and Brady) from Levine earlier in their political careers.

95. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 15, 14 @ 5:21 pm:

Girl Friday—With Respect. But, contributions are not at all as questionable as paying Levine $25,000.00 per month while on a State board the Rauner was seeking business from. Rauner had to have known Levine was a paid consultant and Levine had an ethical duty to recuse himself and Rauner should have known that also. Clout.

The Levine connection is going to hit hard.

* Quinn finally wins a newspaper endorsement!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Today's cable TV buy report
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Crosstabs, TV ads
* Report: Another tie between Rauner and CS-T chairman
* Bost's "anger," Cook's ratings, Foster's ad
* $580 MILLION EXELON RATE HIKE?? That’s the price tag for their nuke bailout…EVERY YEAR!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Rauner pumping dollars
* Rauner pushing IDOT back into the news stream
* Gov. Quinn runs new TV ad featuring FLOTUS
* No, your eyes didn't deceive you
* Good morning!

* Samsung doc confirms Galaxy A7 hardware details
        * NHL 2K brings hockey fun to Android devices
        * Montblanc accessories for Galaxy Note 4 break cover
        * Android Lollipop for Galaxy S5 gets rumored ETA
        * Amazon Quietly Launches A Functional App Store Within Its Main Android Application
        * SwiftKey releases virtual keyboard’s Material Design themes
        * Motorola Moto G (2014) review: bigger, better, and just as affordable

* Form Burger Patties as Gently as Possible for a More Satisfying Crust
        * Wine Condoms – The Protection Your Wine Needs
        * Code/red: Introducing the Amazon Misfire
        * ​Create a USB Password Stealer to See How Secure Your Info Really Is
        * Feds Delay TV Airwaves Auction Until 2016 After Broadcaster Lawsuit
        * The KitchenAid You've Been Pining For, Halloween Candy, and More Deals
        * Google Inbox review: Are you ready for a better way to manage communications?

* Alexei Ramirez and Adam Eaton Gold Glove finalists, but maybe not f...
        * Longtime scout Provas passes away after battle with cancer