Ives: “I’m extremely influential”

Tuesday, Feb 4, 2014

* The Daily Herald interviewed the two candidates for the 42nd House Republican primary, Freshman Rep. Jeanne Ives and Adam Johnson

“In her time down in Springfield she has not successfully sponsored a single bill that has become law,” Johnson said, while GOP representatives from five neighboring districts have introduced and passed multiple bills in the past year.

Ives confirmed that none of her bills has become law, but argued she filed important, “tough bills” and made comments at committee level that affected legislation that was passed.

“I didn’t go down there to pass Bring Your Parent to School Day. I filed only landmark legislation that will actually do things in Illinois,” she said, while other freshman representatives filed “fluff legislation” that passed.

Ives pointed to a pension bill she filed that would have prohibited members of select state boards or commissions that rarely meet to accumulate pension credits. She said it passed out of the House, but was grabbed by a Democratic senator who refused to pass it off on third reading.

Still, Johnson said Ives has been described as “perhaps the least influential member of the Illinois House,” a quote he took from a comment Rich Miller, a blogger for the website capitolfax.com, made on one of his posts last August.

Ives said Johnson was being “disingenuous, or essentially lying” about someone calling her the least influential because it was from an anonymous comment on a left wing blog website.

In December, Miller wrote a post titled “Careful what you say,” in which he said he did make the comment and notes Johnson’s use of the quote in a news release announcing his candidacy.

Regardless, Ives said she believes she is serving her constituents well.

“The truth is, I’m extremely influential down there, which is why they want to make me sit down and be quiet,” she said. “I went down there to represent the taxpayers of District 42 and I’m doing a great job doing it. The truth is the Democrats don’t want me to have success.”

A left wing blog site? Kinda shows where Ives is on the spectrum.

And “extremely influential”?

Oy.

1. - MrJM - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:36 am:

“The truth is the Democrats don’t want me to have success.”

Apparently the Democrats are way more effective than I’d ever imagined.

– MrJM

2. - DuPage Rep - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:38 am:

She is extremely influential in getting people to hate her. Ask people who know her well from Wheaton. There is a reason why Evelyn Sanguinetti and the rest of the City Council (except one) can’t stand her.

3. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:39 am:

When I think of Ives I think effective. Effective at demonizing gays, effective at awkward self-promotion and effective at shrinking the Republican base. She is the Palin of the Prairie.

4. - Chicago Cynic - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:40 am:

On your behalf I take great offense at this description of you: “Rich Miller, a blogger for the website capitolfax.com”. Really? I think you would have been considered a journalist long before there was such a thing as a blogger.

As to the description of “Least Influential,” yup, that about sums it up for BatSCrazy Jeanne Ives.

5. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:41 am:

Thanks, Rich. I needed a laugh.

6. - Adam Smith - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:44 am:

No one will mistake Cap Fax for the National Review, but “left wing blog” is a description that defies reality–as does Rep. Ives on a daily basis.

7. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:46 am:

You know what Stephen Colbert said about reality and liberal bias.

8. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:46 am:

“A legend in my own mind”

9. - paddyrollingstone - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:49 am:

I don’t know if you’re aware of it but I’m kind of a big deal around here.

10. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:49 am:

“I went down there to represent the taxpayers of District 42 and I’m doing a great job doing it”

I’m thinking the expectations of the 42nd District can’t be too high going by this statement. Keep doing whatcha doing while you still have the job, Ives!

11. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Dirty, I’ll second that!

12. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:51 am:

Rep. Ives,

If the members of the Illinois House of Representatives are “affectionately” known as mushrooms, you have been a mushroom that is poision to eat, touch, smell, and with words like “Confederate” coming from your lips, to the ears as well.

Representative,

You seem to be missing the word “collegial” in your DNA. There is very little that you bring to the table in trying to bring a Republican majority to the HGOP. You favor, allegedly, primaries over colleagues, based on purity, while Leader Durkin makes it quite clear that being unified in purpose, in one Caucus, is the best way to move forward.

You have brought with you to Springfield a lack of understanding the process of being part of a legislative body. As you chase your pure windmills, and decide which members of your Caucus is Republican enough for you, others understand that finding solutions, and being effective, must include making arguements with those you need to keep together to get something done.

It is quite the sight to see, you, lecturing, not discussing or influencing, but lecturing. It is as though from 1818 to today, Illinois has been waiting for you, Rep. Ives, to save us all from ourselves.

As you defend your record, maybe you could ask some members of the Caucus to “defend” you, like a Rep. Pihos, maybe. Or, maybe a member who can explain the purity is a “good trait”, the idea that looking at a diverse Caucus as bad, and serves no purpose for Illinois, maybe you can find that member, and you both can lecture us all on how lucky we are to have your “effectiveniess”.

Attacking Rich? I would have maybe taken what Rich posted in response to the using of the quote. At least it would seem you understand, instead of using the “talking points” and “dog whislte” phrases to cover yourself.

Leader Durkin has my support, does he have yours, and if so, what does it mean? How effective are you going to be to bring all your colleagues back to build a diverse Caucus? If you don’t understand that, then I can’t help you.

13. - Jake From Elwood - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:55 am:

What a choice facing the voters of the 42nd. Ms. Ives’ narrow viewpoint or someone who appears to be an exuberant super-hyper tenth grader.

I’m tired of all of these left-wing, right-wing accusations. Remember folks, it takes two wings to fly right.

14. - AnonymousOne - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 10:59 am:

As a constituent, she’s been so influential in our household that we’ve asked her to NOT send update emails to our address. Nothing she says/does is of interest to us OR in our best interest. Influential to who? She’s so full of hot air that if you stick a pin in her she’ll pop.

15. - Bluefish - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:00 am:

If you have to publicly announce you’re influencial…you’re not.

16. - Powell - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:02 am:

…and dammit. people like me.

17. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:02 am:

“The truth is the Democrats don’t want me to have success.”

The truth is the Democrats what me to keep gettig re-elected, so I can talk and help them get more seats.

Better.

18. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:05 am:

Why am I hearing the Scarecrow singing…?

“I’m extremely influential
    I’m almost presidential
    Although some call me vain
    (de dum de dum)
    I’d be passing legislation
    That would overwhelm the nation
    If I only had a brain….”

19. - Norseman - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:05 am:

Beware of the Ives of March. She is a perfect example of what’s wrong with the GOP.

20. - Huh? - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:07 am:

“… made comments at committee level …”

So flapping your gums counts as being as being “extremely influential”?

21. - In the Middle - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:09 am:

Extremely influential… and lacking humility?

In Ives defense though lawmakers sign on to fluff legislation all the time to make it seem they’re really doing something in Springfield.

22. - Demoralized - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:11 am:

I think in Ives case everything is left wing. It’s pretty hard to get any more right wing than her.

23. - Bourbonrich - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:11 am:

Thanks Soccermom. Great job.

24. - Roadiepig - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:15 am:

Oswego Willy did a fine job (as usual) breaking down her failings , point by point, so I guess I will just add this:

As long as the people in her district continue to send her to Springfield she will continue to be highly influential - but only in pushing moderates (and there are a lot if us) towards the D side of the ballot. Taking your talking orders from far right think tanks does not make you “influential” . It makes you a tool for a small group of people from far away ,not a representative of a diverse district.

25. - RoPo Ranger - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:17 am:

I’d say she’s pretty influential. Because of her, the House now has a “Weasel Caucus”.

26. - circularfiringsquad - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:20 am:

If she is “extremely influential” we should immediately assume the top job at the Sparta World Shooting Jamboree

27. - wowsers - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:23 am:

Is this one of those Onion stories?? Does she actually think she’s influential? The staffers she constantly snap at have more influence that she ever will.

28. - phocion - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:27 am:

Soccermom for the win!

29. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:28 am:

- Roadiepig -

Thanks again, appreciate that as always.

Rep. Ives believes all she says, and believes she IS influential and is making a difference.

Until Rep. Ives wakes up to reality, she will still be stuck claiming influence, instead of being able TO influence.

30. - Carl Nyberg - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:29 am:

I assume Ives is clocking some time in the Illinois General Assembly in preparation for a run for Congress or getting a radio or TV gig.

There’s an audience for how she plays it.

Why shouldn’t she get in on the game of fleecing the rubes? It’s a capitalist system.

31. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:30 am:

Ives is certainly comic relief.

32. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:31 am:

“I’m smart, not like everbody says….. like dumb. I’m smart and I want respect!”

33. - Liberty First - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:33 am:

If you think measuring success is achieved by yet more laws, then your a leftist not a centrist.

34. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:35 am:

- wordslinger -, I laughed out loud, man, that was good.

- Soccermom -, if you ever put together a Musical, save tickets for me at the Box Office.

35. - Chicago Cynic - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:37 am:

Soccermom that was BRILLIANT!

36. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:37 am:

Mushroom “A” - I need some influence to decide if I should get a sandwich at the Ratskeller.

Mushroom “B” - Jeanne Ives is speaking next.

Mushroom “A” - That’s enough influence to know it’s time to get a Sandwich …

37. - Stranger Yet - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:54 am:

38. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 11:57 am:

- Stranger Yet -,

Stick around, shortly, Rich will post something and the Dems will be screaming that Rich is “beholden to the GOP” or some other Dopey thing.

Lots of GOP posters too. We just don’t subscribe to the Slytherin House view of politics…

39. - Stones - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:02 pm:

Jeez Rich, doesn’t Rep. Ive’s comments deserve a big, fat “BITE ME”?

40. - Stones - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:03 pm:

My bad…it’s Ives’

41. - Joan P. - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:15 pm:

@ Stranger Yet -

Oh, boy. As someone who tends to vote Democratic, I can tell you that this is not a Democratic blog. It’s also not a Republican blog. If someone deserves a hiding, Rich will give it to him (or her), regardless of party. Same if they deserve praise.

OW’s right. The complaints about Rich being beholden to one party or the other come from whoever’s ox is being gored at the time.

42. - walker - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:16 pm:

Just seeing Rich’s headline caused me to spill my coffee.

@stranger Yet: All in the eyes of the beholder, my friend. Careful reading shows that many of the most influential posters here have worked for and/or support Republicans.

The bulk of the Republicans in Illinois are to the “left” of Ives.

@Soccermom: Hooray!

43. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:18 pm:

No, most Republicans are sane compared to Ives.

44. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

–This is definitely a Democrat Blog. I don’t think you see it because you feel your posts, therefore consider them mainstream.–

Another victim heard from.

45. - train111 - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

I’m just greatful I got lucky enough to get a good solid 5 blocks between my home and this goof’s district.

46. - walker - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 1:02 pm:

===If you think measuring success is achieved by yet more laws, then you’re a leftist ===

Wow. What a strawman! Where did you buy that?

I know of no one who believes that, on this blog or elsewhere.

47. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

Liberty First -

You do understand how this process works, right. If you want to repeal something on the books, it takes a law.

So even a conservative in Springfield needs to be able to pass a law to be effective in Springfield.

You can’t just “talk” an existing law off the books.

48. - DuPage - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 2:20 pm:

I am one of her constituents. I don’t feel she represents me at all. When I have talked to her, she has a quick-draw shoot from the hip style of responding with an extreme tea party position. She does not seem to think she has any obligation represent all the people in her district. She only represents the most extreme tea party view.

49. - Norseman - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 2:32 pm:

Gee thanks SoccerMom. Now I can’t stop thinking about that tune.

50. - Yessiree - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

It’s called narcissistic personality disorder….

51. - Big Muddy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

This whole post wins the interwebs today! OW spot on again.
    Ives is nothing more than a running joke on both sides of the isle… and she doesn’t get the joke.

52. - The Dean - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

~~~~ As they say in Full House “HOW RUDE!” Wonder what the Freshman now think of her? Oh, never mind, we already know.

~~~~I don’t want to be as rude when I say this, but everyone, everywhere wants her to sit down. Apparently she hasn’t listened to herself?

Hey, but soon enough we’ll get to hear yet another goody goody idea; term limits under HJRCA0037. Can’t wait!

53. - Fredo Corleone - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:38 pm:

Sounds like Fredo: “I can handle things! I’m smart! Not like everybody says… like dumb… I’m smart and I want respect!”

54. - Fredo Corleone - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

Shout out to wordslinger. I posted this before I saw your post. My apologies, and respect to you.

55. - downstate commissioner - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:48 pm:

Unusual, for this blog-NObody has defended her…

56. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 3:50 pm:

It is hard to defend the “David Duke” of the ILGOP.

57. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 4:18 pm:

You don’t need to be liked to be effective, you do need to be respected.

I will leave it there.

58. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 7:30 pm:

“Oy” is right on about her insistence about how much weight she throws around apparently–as a Freshman. Really. Just not much to add here, other than it’s truly sad how inFLATed some folks’ egos can get once they’ve gotten a taste of even just a BIT of authority or power as an elected legislator…!

59. - Blue - Tuesday, Feb 4, 14 @ 9:48 pm:

I just ran 4 hours so I could drink a Coke and read all the comments!!!

* Cook County judge: Illinois can't pay state workers without a budget
* Federal judge: Pay DCFS workers
* Today's quotable
* *** UPDATED x1 - Kirk campaign calls ads "false" and "sickening" *** Kirk under fire from enviro groups
* Get off the back bench, please
* A triangulating shift

* Showtime Streaming Goes Live On Apple TV

* Ruminations on the Chris Sale-Mark Buehrle duel
        * Quintana hopes for run support against Blue Jays
        * Sale fans 6 in complete-game win over Jays
        * White Sox turn tables after opponent's mistake
        * Sale named AL All-Star, goes the distance
        * White Sox 4, Blue Jays 2: Chris Sale-Mark Buehrle duel meets expect...
        * Sale fans 6 in complete-game win over Jays