Question of the day

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014

* A fundraising e-mail from Bruce Rauner’s running mate…

Bruce doesn’t like people making a big fuss over him. That’s especially true when it comes to his birthday. He’s hoping we keep it quiet.

Well, I’m going to break the silence on this one - call it going rogue if you want.

Today is my sidekick’s birthday and the best gift for Bruce is your support.

Take one second now and show Bruce 58 will be a great year!

Wish him a happy birthday! How about $1 for every year?

Momentum is building as we approach the primary, thanks to your enthusiasm and belief in our message.

This weekend we had hundreds of volunteers throughout Illinois taking time out of their Saturday, making more than 18,000 phone calls to help us spread our message far and wide.

Bruce is working tirelessly for a better Illinois. Let’s thank him by giving $58, $116, or even $174 in honor of Bruce’s birthday. Or if that’s too much how about $24?

Thanks for your support!

Evelyn

He’s her sidekick? Hmm. Better watch your back, dude.

Just sayin…

* The Question: Your birthday greeting for Mr. Rauner?

1. - Steve - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:25 pm:

Diana Rauner says the same stuff, we are pretty sure.

2. - Jake Roberts - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:26 pm:

If she thinks that $24 is half of $58, she is off by a Lincoln.

3. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:26 pm:

===how about $24===

Shouldn’t that be $29? I mean, if they’re going with multiples of 58 and all.

Who is his running mate again?

4. - Ray del Camino - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:27 pm:

Huh? Give BVC *money* for his birthday?

5. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

“Slip and Sue” has nothing on “Corky Sherwood”.

Just. Saying.

6. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:29 pm:

Answer the question, please. Thanks.

7. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:30 pm:

Happy birthday and how about $18.00 for a new watch?

8. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

Sorry, my birthday greeting starts from the premise that it is better to give than to receive, so…Mr. Rauner, may I please have $1 million?

9. - stuart levine - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

Happy Birthday, Boss. But - speaking of money, how’s my “pension plan” coming. Silence is GOLDEN - remember. Stuey

10. - Steve - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:34 pm:

Just a reminder: Bruce Rauner’s running mate her message approved by Rahm Emanuel in the name of unity.

11. - A. Nonymous - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:35 pm:

1 - 58 - 116 - 174 -24

Ladies and Gentlemen, these are your winning PowerBall numbers for Wednesday, February 19th.

Good luck - I already have so much money I could buy the Governor’s Mansion if I wanted.

Very truly yours,

I remain.
    - Bruce Rauner

12. - A guy... - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:36 pm:

It’s a clever approach. Let’s see what it nets. If you watch her, you’ll see that she’s a very comfortable campaigner with an effusive demeanor. The whole idea in this new world of Gov and Lt. Gov running together is about “adding” a little. She does.

13. - Edwardsburg - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:36 pm:

“Bruce, you’re rich, I’m rich. For your birthday, I’m offering all my political services! Can I please be your driver? I’ll pay YOU for that job.”
    -Jason Plummer

14. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:37 pm:

Dear Evelyn,

What a coincidence. I plan on Bruce being my sidekick as well.

Sincerely,

Speaker Madigan

15. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:37 pm:

Mr. Rauner,

What do you give the “Man Who Has Everything?”

The Fifth Largest state in America?

I wish you a Happy Birthday, and hope you enjoy retirement at one of your 9 houses, and not in the Governor’s Mansion.

Sorry I digressed, Rich. Apologies.

16. - Wumpus - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

A Dairy Queen Gift Card, love Pat Quinn and his Springfield Allies

17. - qcexaminer - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:38 pm:

Happy Birthday Mr. Rauner. When you become governor, I hope you will see fit to find money for medical research to combat the debilitating and pervasive Rauner Derangement Syndrome.

18. - A guy... - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:39 pm:

Happy Birthday BR. May I be among the very few on this thread that hopes you open a great gift on March 18 and again in November. My gift will be the pounding I take in your stead after my post on this thread.

19. - just me - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:39 pm:

He who laughs last laughs best. I don’t think the snark hurts his lead. Watch him turn Springfield up side down.

20. - Sparky - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

I have one for him but you will not print it so I just wish him nothing but the best. What a super guy.

21. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:42 pm:

Dear Baron,

Happy birthday. They say it’s better to give than to receive. Any chance you might be able to send some bail money down Zimbabwe-way?

Your friend,

Mel Reynolds

22. - Almost the Weekend - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:45 pm:

By the time you read my fundraising email, I just made $58 or 3.222222222 Bruce Rauner watches. #BruceRaunerprivatesectormath #BruceRaunerpublicsectormath

23. - haverford - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

Wish him a happy birthday! How about a new Carhartt jacket for every year?

24. - Tommydanger - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

On behalf of my minimum wage earning son, please find enclosed the $7.25 you believe he is worth.

25. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

Holy corny email campaign, Batman! It’s only February and already Robin is becoming Nightwing!

26. - Anon #82 - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

Mr. Howell, Mr. Howell, the skipper said it was your birthday! –Jason (Gilligan) Plummer

27. - DuPage - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 12:54 pm:

A birthday song personalized for Rauner.

“Hit the Road, Bruce”

28. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:02 pm:

I would send a set of “Anti-Slip Floor Mats” for the Campaign Bus.

29. - Steve - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

After a few years of Common Core , you too can write fundraising letters like this. But, you will only learn this kind of skill in a Rauner approved charter school that may have a milk contract that has powerful Democrats behind the scenes.

30. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:08 pm:

“Happy Birthday to Bruce
    Whose loot can’t seduce
    ‘Cuz voters can deduce
    He’s nobody’s Zeus.”

“Happy Birthday to Rauner
    A pretentious Downtowner
    Feels he’s owed an office
    After years as a nose-browner”

31. - just me - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

A federal indictment is very costly. Dan doesn’t know what he’s looking at. $1M doesn’t go very far.

32. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

It’s my birthday too. I take this as absolute proof astrology is nonsense.

And no cake for Rauner.

33. - Jimbo - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

Don’t have a greeting, but the perfect gift would be a modicum of respect for the average voter. Maybe a bit of integrity too.

34. - Stu - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

Bruce, In appreciation for your friendship I’d like to put together a little surprise party at the Purple Hotel.

35. - Soccermom - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

I usually try to be civil. But when it comes to Rauner, the best I can do is to say nothing.

36. - Pete - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:39 pm:

Who was governor when you were born?
    A Republican! From Wikipedia.

William Grant Stratton (February 26, 1914 – March 2, 2001),known as “Billy the Kid”, was the 32nd Governor of Illinois from 1953 to 1961, succeeding Adlai Stevenson II in that office.

Born February 26, 1914 in Ingleside, Lake County, Illinois, the son of William J. Stratton, an Illinois politician, and Zula Van Wormer Stratton, he served two non-consecutive terms as an at-large Congressman from Illinois, elected in 1940 and 1946. He was elected State Treasurer in 1944 and 1950. He won the Republican nomination for Governor in 1952, then defeated Lt. Governor Sherwood Dixon to become the youngest governor in America at that time.

Stratton was re-elected Governor in 1956. In 1960 he ran for an unprecedented third consecutive term, but was defeated by Democrat Otto Kerner, Jr.

Stratton was acquitted on charges of tax evasion in 1965. In 1968, he ran in the Republican primary for Governor and was defeated by Richard B. Ogilvie.

Also on this day:
    Paul Reed Smith (born February 18, 1956), is a luthier and the founder and owner of PRS Guitars.

37. - too obvious - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:42 pm:

It’s very annoying the way this billionaire is always asking for money. Even more annoying when his sidekick uses the billionaire’s birthday to do it.

I’m stumped as to why any normal person with a normal income would even consider giving this guy a dime. Let’s remember he reported over 50 million in taxable income last year.

If you’ve got 50 bucks or whatever burning a whole in your pocket, give it to a good charity. Or buy something nice for your significant other. Brucey will be fine.

38. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

Voting For an Imperial Earl

Brady can kiss me, Dillard can hug me
    While Dan claims he’s not gay
    But these three guys can win, so
    I’ll not vote their way.

They can beg and they can plead
    But they’re too broke to fight - that’s right
    In this State, the guy with cash
    Can seduce the GOP Right, so we are

Voting for an Imperial Earl
    I’m ready to give Rauner a whirl
    The other candidates just make me hurl,
    So, I’m ready to give Rauner a whirl

With Ryan out of jail, and Rod now in jail
    And Quinn looking like a total fail
    Illinois governors raise their cash,
    Just so they can post bail

Topinka tried, but Blagojevich lied
    And Brady showed he couldn’t play
    But now Bruce has save his pennies
    To make my rainy day, so we are

Voting for an Imperial Earl
    I’m ready to give Rauner a whirl
    Illinois politics makes every stomach curl,
    So, I’m ready to give Rauner a twirl!

39. - Arthur Andersen - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:05 pm:

Now that’s the VMan we all remember fondly!

40. - Rufus - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

VanillaMan!

41. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:09 pm:

I guess I would put my greeting… on one of the - Norseman - “Oswego Willy for Governor” stickers…

I will deliver it in my Carhartt.

42. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

=Your birthday greeting for Mr. Rauner? =

Ummm, Happy Birthday, Mr. Rauner?

(I seem to always get these birthday questions wrong.)

43. - MrJM - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

Your birthday greeting for Mr. Rauner?

– MrJM

44. - k3 - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 2:28 pm:

How about $14, a dollar for each year Blago is in jail (since they are twinsies)

45. - Joan P. - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 4:20 pm:

My birthday greeting to Rauner would not be printable.

46. - olddog - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 4:32 pm:

I just looked at that again — “… call it going rogue if you want.”

So she’s going to write a book?

Words fail me.

47. - Frosty-The Snowman - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

Happy Birthday Bruce! Me and your three GOP opponents have agreed to slowly melt away between now and March 18th. Dan got started a little earlier than the rest of us?

48. - railrat - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 5:25 pm:

happy birthday “prince” the disciples are constructing your legacy for print…hopefully you wont suffer with the trials and tribulations of the last messiah !

49. - x ace - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 6:24 pm:

No Birthday Greeting here. Offended by the Republicans use of the word “sidekick”‘

Everybody knows sidekicks are always poor hapless Democrats, ie:

Pat Buttram

Pat Brady

Bernard Fife

Tonto

and , of course, Pancho

50. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 7:05 pm:

lol x ace

Now, now. Don’t be so hard on Mr. Brady. We all know how hard he and his friends worked and what a great job they did for .

51. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 7:42 pm:

A year OLDer, a year RICHer, eh, Bruce? Too bad well over 13 million Illinoisans can hardly relate to you on that latter part of my Greeting, though…!

52. - Capo - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 8:27 pm:

A Members Only jacket to wear for the spring.

53. - siriusly - Tuesday, Feb 18, 14 @ 11:59 pm:

She had me at “going rogue” that’s too funny! I wonder if she can see Indiana from her house.

* *** UPDATED x2 *** Dunkin absence, GOP solidarity behind defeat of child care bill
* Lang, Rauner to negotiate new med-mar bill
* Another Day. Another Auction. Another $275 Million For Exelon
* Today's number: 601
* Six Repubs break with Rauner
* Chicago finally talking about putting some real skin into the game
* IllinoisGO belatedly weighs in
* It's not all on Dunkin
* Caption contest!
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* Rauner react
* Organized labor's response

* Mysterious LG handset pictured, could be one of those rumored new G4-series models
        * KingsRoad, a Diablo-like multiplayer RPG to waste your time on
        * Samsung’s Gear S2 will work with non-Samsung made devices
        * Google updates Docs, Classroom with new tools and features
        * Samsung Gear S2 will get premium watch faces and bands from Alessandro Mendini
        * Apple Continuing To Strengthen Its Smartphone Market Share In The U.S.
        * NCTech launches iris360 camera alongside new Google Street View app

* Johnson to start Sunday as Sale pushed back
        * Alexei Ramirez at center of White Sox' uncertain offseason outlook
        * Rodon sharp over 6, but offense falls flat
        * Twins 3, White Sox 0: No touching Tommy
        * White Sox arms of the future up to the task vs. Sano
        * Rodon sharp over 6, but offense falls flat
        * Montas returns with a much-improved slider