IFT backs Dillard, pledges “six figure” dollar support

Monday, Mar 3, 2014

* I told my subscribers this would happen on Saturday. From a Sunday press release…

Today, the Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT) announced their endorsement for Senator Kirk Dillard to be the Republican nominee for Governor.

At a news conference with Senator Dillard, IFT President Dan Montgomery released the following statement:

“Senator Dillard has been a tireless advocate for public schools and our communities and a strong voice for teachers and retirees regarding the unconstitutionality of recent pension theft legislation.

We have already told our members for whom not to vote, and now we’re making it more clear: we encourage anyone who plans to pull a Republican ballot on March 18th to vote for Kirk Dillard,” said Montgomery, a high school English teacher for nearly 20 years.

“While we have a long history of bipartisanship, this is a significant moment for the IFT. Other than our support for Jim Thompson, this is only the second time in our history when we have endorsed a Republican candidate for Governor. This election is simply too important to sit on the sidelines, and we are getting in the game for the future of Illinois.

Kirk Dillard has a record of respecting working families in the past and a willingness to work with us in the future. We are proud to recommend him in the Republican primary.”

The IFT endorsed Jim Thompson in 1986.

Senator Dillard thanked IFT members for their support:

“I’m truly honored by this support from the Illinois Federation of Teachers,” Dillard said.

“As I’ve said about our previous endorsements from teachers organizations, my father was a public school teacher for 40 years, and would be proud to see so many hard-working teachers getting behind our campaign. We are indebted to the excellent teachers who give so much to make sure our daughters get a solid education.”

Dillard and his wife Stephanie are the parents of two daughters, ages 10 and 12, both of whom attend public school.

Additional recommendations for the March 18th Primary Election can be found on the IFT website here.

The IFT endorsement does not currently extend to the General Election.

* Here’s what they’re putting in. From the Tribune

Montgomery said the union has 20,000 self-identified Republican members and also expects some crossover support for Dillard in the primary. He also said the union will provide Dillard with an unspecified “six-figure” donation.

“It comes not only with significant resources, obviously, but the hearts and minds of our members who will work, have conversations with families and colleagues around the state to hopefully have Sen. Dillard be the winner in the Republican primary,” Montgomery said of the endorsement.

Last month, Dillard gained the support of the Illinois Education Association, which represents teachers outside Chicago, and has received $100,000 from the IEA’s political action committee. He had received the IEA’s backing four years ago when he lost the nomination to state Sen. Bill Brady of Bloomington by 193 votes. Brady is back in the race this time along with state Treasurer Dan Rutherford of Chenoa.

Brady, who supported a union-opposed plan to change public employee pensions to close a $100 billion unfunded liability, has contended Dillard “sold out” his vote to unions by opposing the law. The unions also are challenging the law’s state constitutionality.

1. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:16 am:

They could have accomplished more by setting that money on fire next to Lake Springfield to keep a certain plunger warm after his sojourn into ankle deep water! lol- full snark. They’ve as much as admitted that there’s nowhere else to go with the money and support. This one might not sit terribly well with the membership; that remains to be seen. When you have children in school in the Hinsdale public school system, it rings a little hollow compared to 99% of the rest of the school districts in the state. That’s a 1% argument too.

2. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:17 am:

Maybe Dillard can get those online spots on the air. They’re pretty good.

But it’s awfully late, and unless the first of those six figures stars with a “9,” not enough.

3. - OneMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:20 am:

Did see a Dillard ad (sort of) on an electronic billboard on the Ike this morning. So I guess that is sort of like being on TV, it is a large screen.

4. - PublicServant - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:24 am:

===we encourage anyone who plans to pull a Republican ballot on March 18th to vote for Kirk Dillard===

Gonna be a lot of crossover voting going on this primary…What’s that going to do to all those polls of likely Republican voters?

5. - VanillaMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:25 am:

Dillard is winning the GOP insider’s game towards the nomination.

If this was 1980 - he’d get it.

What we are discovering in 2014 is that playing the insider game towards a nomination for a political party reduced to such a diminished level as the GOP currently is within Illinois, makes sense to someone unaware that the nomination is worth only as much as an outsider like Rauner is willing to spend to buy it.

Mr. Dillard - stop playing 20th century politics in the 21st century. You are only impressing political geeks.

6. - Quiet Sage - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:26 am:

Don’t discount that Democratic leaders may be behind a lot of crossover voting.

7. - Whatever - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:30 am:

Too little, too late? Here’s hoping the unions have an air-tight agreement with Dillard that he’ll actually spend the money on something impactful, like advertising, and not a bunch of “retread” consultants.

8. - Rich Miller - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:31 am:

===Gonna be a lot of crossover voting going on this primary===

When you’re trailing by 17 or more points, it may not mean much. And massive crossover voting rarely happens anywhere, and almost never here.

9. - Grandson of Man - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:33 am:

“But it’s awfully late”

Here’s another poll showing Rauner has a commanding lead over all the Republican candidates.

In this poll, all the candidates have small leads over Quinn except Rutherford.

10. - Rich Miller - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:40 am:

===Here’s another poll===

I can’t believe they didn’t try to get more GOP responses. 295 for a statewide poll ain’t good.

Also, my goodness, that poll was taken Feb. 12-25. Some of those numbers are almost three weeks old.

Oy.

11. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:45 am:

=== When you have children in school in the Hinsdale public school system, it rings a little hollow compared to 99% of the rest of the school districts in the state. That’s a 1% argument too.===

“When you have your suburban living denied Daughtrr, Denying a worthy child a spot in the best school in the state due to blatant CLOUT through Democrats, it rings a little hollow compared to 99% of the rest of the school districts in the state requires residency and achievement. That IS the 1% argument.”

You want to go THERE with Rauner and Dillard. Yikes!

Dope.

12. - 47th Ward - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Well, if my math is correct, the IFT’s six figures plus Don Tracy’s five figures equals eleven figures. Problem solved.

13. - OneMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:54 am:

That’s the generic funny thing about the schools argument. There is a lot of variation between districts. For example in Oswego we have a lower average teacher pay because we have hired a lot of teachers over the last 12 years or so, (we were opening an average of a building a year there for quite a while) on the other hand we have a lot of building debt to deal with. Also because of the size of the district we have huge transportation costs.

I suspect it has been a while is Dillard’s SD had to add a building due to capacity so I suspect their debt load is lower, I also suspect they pay their teachers more.

14. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:55 am:

BTW, - A Guy… -, you complain about being called a Raunerbot, look at your response.

“See, Bruce is not as bad as ‘X’, so whatever you say about Bruce, look at others!” - apologist.

Bruce us suppose to “Shake up Springfield” and “Bring back Illinois” - his total hypocrisy, and the apologizing for being just a “shade off” is not being an outsider. Being a shill means taking anything and making sure only the good is placed on the Candidate, even if it means apologizing by inferring others are worse.

15. - YO - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:55 am:

Too bad they gave their money to anyone. There isn’t anyone in their corner, like it or not. However, this isn’t an endorsement for Dillard. It’s an anti-Rauner vote. Come November, everything reverts back to normal. Of course, there is no normal now but………

16. - Walter Mitty - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:04 am:

D-Lard’s biggest problem isn’t money for a message.. It’s no message… He has been defined…And it fits.

17. - Veritas - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:08 am:

A Guy: Please explain one thing to me about your idol: if Rauner can’t convince his wife, whom he lives with & supports , or his pal Rahm, whom he vacations with & made a fortune for, of his political agenda — how is he going to
    convince the Dem. majority that he will face in both chambers
    or the Republicans he has villainized?? I get why he claims to be an outsider & says he will shake up Springfield. Blagoevitch & Quinn said the same thing and it got them elected. Unfortunately, Springfield got shaken down as well as up!! Those who forget the mistakes of the past .,,,,

18. - Downstate - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:11 am:

It has got to be frustrating to campaigns that with early voting, many ballots are already being cast.

Last minute ad buys may influence individuals who’ve already pulled the proverbial lever.

19. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:17 am:

O Willie, you must’ve had a whole bowl of Wheaties this morning coming out of the blocks calling me a “Dope”. I’ve never been comfortable with the “clouting” the kid in school. Truth is, it bothers you and me more than just about anyone else. I also know that Rauner’s given thousands of kids a better opportunity with his generosity to Charter Schools where they don’t have to fear for their safety while they’re in the school building. Call me a Raunerbot, Raunerite, Apologist,Dope or whatever you want Willie. I could care less. He’s not winning by accident. He’s winning because he’s doing everything right. That bugs you. I get it. I won’t end by calling you a dope. I’ll just say you’re jaded on this one. You have been from Jump St. Have a pleasant day. We’ll agree more soon.

20. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:28 am:

“Raunerbot. Activate!”

Clouting denied Suburbsn daughter - … Raunerbots counters;

===I also know that Rauner’s given thousands of kids a better opportunity with his generosity to Charter Schools where they don’t have to fear for their safety while they’re in the school building.===

“Rules don’t apply to Bruce, look at all that money he gave!

Remember, honesty and integrity, ethics and morals; those lacking those qualities will pay ANYTHING to seem to have… honesty and integrity, ethics and morals, and the Raunerbot default to the Clouting of the Denied Suburban living Daughter reminds us all of that.

===He’s winning because he’s doing everything right. That bugs you.===

He is running “Bruce Rauner” in place of Bruce Rauner, the insider’s insider who has given tens of thousands of dollars to the DNC, Rahm, Rich Daley and Ed Rendell and wants us all to think he is a Republican and not a Raunerite.

Making it about me is weak sauce. You are a Raunerite apologist. You are willing to go against your better self and be the lemming “Bruce Rauner” targets, while Bruce Rauner mocks your lack of intelligence of who either Bruce Rauner is.

If honesty and integrity, ethics and morals mean nothing to you, then you found the best candidate to jump off the cliff with.

21. - OneMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:36 am:

Sorry OW, but A guy is right about one thing (the money helps but keep in mind right now his spending isn’t that out of line of previous self funders), is that Bruce is doing the type of stuff that we wish guy folks we supported could or would do.

– Good Commercials
    – Remaining vague, details don’t win primaries
    – Responding to attacks quickly
    – Being ‘moderate’ on many social issues

If Dillard or Brady had gotten even 2 or 4 on that list, they would currently be governor IMHO.

Dislike the guy all you want, but he is running the kind of campaign I think most people (even Deomocrats) wished their folks would run.

22. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:39 am:

O Willie, May I suggest it’s time to switch to Decaf for you? No more espressos, no more Diet Cokes, no more Girl Scout thin mints until April. I don’t know who you’re for besides a “Freaky Friday Lindsay Lohan/Jamie Lee Curtis version of Kirk Dillard in the 1990s” Whoever the candidate is with all of the integrity, honesty, ethics and morals that match yours should step up so we can all support him or her. So far you’ve just attacked everyone’s integrity. Sounds like those Slytherins you keep going on about. Really dude…Decaf, low sugar, gluten free. I’m worried about you.

23. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:40 am:

Didn’t change the fact that while the campaign to sell cigarettes were spectacular, the product was only hurting the public.

If the product is shoddy, you think the product is better by great PR, and a load of commercials, so the lemmings live right up to get something hurtful.

Food for thought…

24. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:43 am:

- A Guy… -,

Making it about me… reminds me both Rauners are nothing like a Republican worthy of the nomination, even if he gets it.

I am not a victim, thanks. Defend, apologize, be the shill, but it’s not about me, but really good try!

25. - Walter Mitty - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:44 am:

If it comes to honesty and integrity and the race is between PQ and the Framer… With what we know about PQ and the slush fund… Rauner ain’t my guy.. But the getting your kid into a school compared to possible criminal activity? No contest. I will say not even a choice of lesser of two evils… I also can say, besides Brady… In my opinion, none rise to the standard I have wished and hoped… But although Walter Mitty was a dreamer… Reality bites..And it’s coming.

26. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:48 am:

Unwittingly, I’ve rented a room in your head. Didn’t mean to, and would like to check out. Why don’t you just go back to ignoring me. That was good for both of us.

27. - Downstate - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:49 am:

Back to the point - that being the IFT endorsement.

At least in our area - teacher’s are rather beleaguered. They are staying out of a local tax increase school referendum, because they feel that their brand is seriously damaged. As word leaks out regarding their pay packages, and incentives, they’ve decided they better keep their heads down.

As one teacher noted to me last night - area companies have had to forestall bonuses and even pay increases for the past two years - while union bosses are demanding wage increases for teachers. The taxpayers are getting restless.

28. - OneMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:55 am:

== You know who else ran great campaigns that some hoped others would run. Tobacco Companies. ==

Really, you went there, what is that one factor away from Goodwin’s law at this point

29. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 11:58 am:

I will be a guest here, and comment as I feel within the rules. “Selling” an image of either Rauner as an honest Republican worthy of the nominating, less the hypocrisy might get a response.

You are not in my head, anytime a person’s integrity is compromised against their better self might want to take stock how much “free space ” they may have…

I don’t support Dillard, as I don’t support Brady. I won’t be voting for Rutherford, and unlike Dan, I am not hiding my results to supporting him. Rauner is a Raunerite. So I give a critical eye to Brady and Dillard in hopes of success for one if them. Do they listen? They have their Crews, they have their strategy, and I am not part of it. You don’t get what/why I do what I do. I am not here to help you understand, you are not my target audience. Fourteen days left. Bruce Rauner could very well be the Rod Blagojevich candidate if the GOP.

I will not be party to helping Bruce Rauner as I was not party to helping Rod. I chose a side of not being duped. I hope others get educated too.

30. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

- OneMan -,

With respect, “People due in nursing homes” - you went there?

Again, with respect.

31. - A guy... - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

I have never smoked cigarettes in my life. Not even one. But if I did, I think I’d have one right now.

32. - OneMan - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:14 pm:

OW

Yeah I did, because when it comes down to it, just because someone is sued in a court over something doesn’t make it true.

People die in nursing homes, people have heart attacks while they are taking medication X, babies are born with issues. It doesn’t mean, negligence, medication X or the obstetrician was the cause. Correlation is not the same as causation. Being at the point in the year where we have to renew the wife’s malpractice insurance (so it puts a bias on me I will admit). I would be a lot more impressed if it was a regulator finding fault vs civil jury. I also think that would be a much better argument for a commercial.

I am not saying that the allegations are true or not, what I am saying that when it comes to medical things I am not sure a civil jury is the best and final arbitrator of that.

33. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

Well, if “Jack!” Ryan’s papers say its false, then “going there” seems ok, unless unsealing documents about the subject come back to haunt “Bruce Rauner”… then “Jack!” can help even more…

To the Post,

Dillard needs to maximize the endorsement with GOTV by the unions. Fourteen days, and begging and pleading for crossovers or for an effective GOTV is beyond a hug “ask”.

The money is ridiculously poor for a result, but if the GOTV aspect can be maximized and effective in the precincts, the endorsement(s) could be worth more than the dollar amount placed on them by the raw dollars represented.

Hodas knows, it’s votes that win, not dollars. Can this endorsement translate to real accountable votes for a GOTV? We will know in 15 days.

34. - Samurai - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

==People die in nursing homes, people have heart attacks while they are taking medication X, babies are born with issues. It doesn’t mean, negligence==

True. But, the verdict following a trial where qualified medical experts present opinions for both sides on whether there was neglect or not is a pretty good indication. The American jury system may not be the best process to determine fault, but it is better than the second best.

35. - iThink - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

==As word leaks out regarding their pay packages, and incentives, they’ve decided they better keep their heads down.==

Where do you get this stuff from? According to the Illinois teacher salary study (you know data, not just anecdotal stuff) the median starting teacher pay went up 1.4 and 1.2% over the last two years coming up to a budget killing $36,361 last year. Well that’s the starting salary, what about those with a bunch of years and Masters + hours- the top of the salary scale - they went up 0.7% and 1.5% last year for a median salary of $74k. Not too shabby, though probably not worth being ashamed of how those “greedy union bosses” bargained that for you.

I agree with you that many teachers are ‘beleaguered’ but it ain’t from making too much money or having too rich of incentive packages. Geesh.

36. - train111 - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 3:50 pm:

Another day–Rauner dumps in another million dollar check. I guess this is to counteract the 1.12 mil that unions dumped in today for the PACs opposing him.

train111

37. - Demoralized - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:00 pm:

@Downstate:

I hardly think teachers are living high on the hog. But at least you’re consistent with your public employee bashing.

38. - Downstate - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 4:18 pm:

iThink - Two school districts in our area have voted to strike over pay packages that provide automatic pay increases that are near the 3% level. This is for a nine month working year, with sick, personal and vacation days.
    I agree teachers work hard, but taxpayers work hard too. Given rising income taxes and property taxes - the regular working Joe’s are starting to question whether it’s appropriate.

Demoralized - I never said they are living high on the hog. I do think their union heads often do a HUGE disservice to their members.

For the record - I have been both a union member and part of the negotiating team with management. So I have a little perspective on union leadership and how they operate. I’ve lived both sides!

39. - railrat - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:13 pm:

40. - wordslinger - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 5:56 pm:

–I’m sure Phyllis Schlafly and Ann Colter are just “tickled” at Dillard’s “enlightenment” with the teachers unions after sharing the stage with him in central Ill. ….sheesh !!!–

Phyllis and Anme are a strategy for what? Thirty percent?

You understand they’re in it for the money from the head-injured, and not winning elections?

What a happy world it would be if Phyllis and Annne ran the show!

But your point is well-taken. The guy flops around, looking for something to grab onto.

41. - Just The Way It Is One - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:10 pm:

Well, Kirk’s still up ‘n at it, and despite all of his vocal Naysayers around here, you have to give him credit for battlin’ right up to the end. Some of those INTernet Ads his Campaign put-together slamming Rauner were awfully good/seemingly persuasive, too, and if he can get THOSE out there on TV in key places for a couple weeks in key time slots, who knows–having ratcheted it up a notch, he could perhaps tighten this thing up YET–that is unless Brady cuts into too any momentum he might be building too much…!

42. - olddog - Monday, Mar 3, 14 @ 10:45 pm:

@ Downstate —

=== I agree teachers work hard, but taxpayers work hard too. ===

Do teachers pay taxes? Why all the us-vs.-them stuff?

* Reader comments closed until Tuesday
* Oh, for crying out loud
* Not as simple as it may look
* *** UPDATED x1 *** State complies with court order on DD payments
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Nuding praises Arduin
* YOU Matter to Illinois Credit Unions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Point, counter-point
* Not there yet
* Will remap reform proposal hurt Democrats?
* Where are they now?
* Putting two and two together
* No excuse for this loophole
* From a "trap" to a "magnet"
* FOP wants override of AFSCME bill veto
* Report: 34,000 losing independent living services
* No movement yet
* Today's number: $58.1 million
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* Google updates new mobile app search design
        * Scribbled Arena is multiplayer tank PvP, with good old drawn maps
        * Live stream any app from your phone on Mirrativ app (beta)
        * New ‘Apps’ results layout, colored grid hit Google mobile search