image
Oh. My. Goodness.

Thursday, Mar 6, 2014

* After claiming weeks ago that gay marriage had faded as an issue, the AP now has a story about how the issue is impacting some legislative races

But on the GOP side, two of the toughest primary challenges involve state Reps. Ron Sandack of Downers Grove and Ed Sullivan of Mundelein, two of three House Republicans who broke ranks to vote in favor. The third, former House Republican leader Tom Cross, gave up his seat to run for treasurer.

Sandack is being challenged by Downers Grove High School teacher Keith Mathune and Sullivan by Mundelein bus driver Bob Bednar. Both are being helped by conservative family groups hoping the four-way GOP governor primary lures social conservatives to the polls.

Illinois Families First, a political action committee started by conservative activist Paul Caprio, is working with local religious groups to campaign against Sandack and Sullivan — including raising money and organizing robo-calls.

Another conservative activist, Dan Proft, has directed $13,500 from his political action committee, Liberty Principles, to pay for direct mailk criticizing Sandack’s gay marriage vote.

Matune has criticized Sandack for his vote and for accepting campaign contributions of both opponents and proponents of same-sex marriage.

“I am a pro-traditional marriage person,” Matune said. “I … believe that the residents of our district would not vote (as Sandack has).”

* The Daily Herald looked a bit closer at the Sandack-Matune race

Campaign advertisements in the 81st state House race continue to question the honesty of candidate Keith Matune, who is challenging incumbent state Rep. Ron Sandack in a bitter race for the Republican party’s nomination in the March 18 primary.

The campaign has been contentious from the start as Sandack and Matune, both of Downers Grove, compete for votes from residents of the 81st District, which includes parts of Downers Grove, Naperville, Lisle, Darien, Westmont and Woodridge.

The race has turned into one of the top handful of GOP primaries in the state. And with incumbent state representatives Jeanne Ives of Wheaton and Sandra Pihos of Glen Ellyn facing tough primaries, too, DuPage County has become a Republican battleground in Illinois.

One recent campaign mailer sent in the 81st District questions Matune’s honesty concerning his reply to a Daily Herald questionnaire that asks all candidates if they have ever “been arrested for or convicted of a crime.”

Matune said he has never been arrested. But the mailer cites documents showing he was arrested in 1992 in Indiana and charged with public indecency, to which he pleaded guilty in 1993.

* And the Tribune focused on social media

In one recent exchange, Matune tweeted his contention that Sandack is more sympathetic to the Democratic party than to Republicans.

“Sandack is against term limits for (House Speaker Michael) Madigan,” the tweet reads. “The contradiction suggests that he seeks higher office and doesn’t want to be limited by term limits!”

After a local attorney tweeted his support for Matune’s position, Sandack fired back the next day.

“You’re wrong,” the tweet reads. “I want term limits 4 all legislators. I’ve had a TL bill for 2 years now. Look it up. #factsmatter.”

* But that’s not even the half of it. I told subscribers about this mailer earlier today. It’s just too wild not to share with everybody. The mailer, sent by Dan Proft’s Liberty Principles PAC, attacks Rep. Ron Sandack. It includes one of the most over the top images I’ve ever seen. Click for a larger pic

* Let’s zoom in…

Oy.

1. - anon - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:36 am:

For anybody wondering why the republican party struggles to remain relevant, look at this mail piece. You will never be relevant when you demonize entire groups of people, whether its based on color, religion, or sexual orientation. The world is becoming more diverse and more tolerant. These extremist republicans are making it impossible to practical republicans like Sandack and Sullivan to be more inclusive. Its just nuts.

2. - Weltschmerz - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:37 am:

“It’s a good thing, Anthony, a real good thing. Now wish him into the cornfield.”

3. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:37 am:

Regardless of who wins - Matune or Sandack - the Downers Grove Township Democrats need to slate a candidate for House 81.

4. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:39 am:

Obama carried House 81 in 2012 and Democratic candidates got the most votes in the two Du Page County Board districts that comprise House 81.

5. - MrJM - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:42 am:

Could someone let Dan Proft know that Pandora was never in the box?

– MrJM

6. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:43 am:

Classic Proft. Revolting.

7. - circularfiringsquad - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:44 am:

Yikes
    Proft lies about a candidate? That is shocking departure from his traditional “high road” tactics….NOT
    It is amazing to see exactly how sleazy the folks claiming to advance God’s approach can be.

8. - Suburbs - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:44 am:

Let’s hope that Proft & Caprio continue their losing streaks…they are both terrible for the GOP and conservative issues. Hate is powerful but hopefully it won’t win. Go get ‘em Ron!!

9. - Grandson of Man - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:45 am:

It looks like the ad omits the clown hat that’s on the jack-in-the-box, in order to make Sandack have devil horns on his head. What I get from this is that they’re trying to make Sandack look satanic for voting for gay marriage.

10. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:46 am:

Dan Proft - Building a Pure Party by destroying its diversity, one mail piece at a time.

11. - wordslinger - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:48 am:

Dan Proft the Kingmaker — he of the 7.7% and sixth place finish in the GOP gubernatorial primary.

Big-tent guy.

I guess he did help Larry Dominick get elected in Cicero. No-bid contracts can be such an incentive to volunteer for good government types.

12. - Pensioner - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:53 am:

@Weltschmerz >>>Bump for classic Twilight Zone reference.

13. - Soccermom - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:55 am:

@Weltschmerz — Nicely played, nicely played.

14. - Soccermom - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:56 am:

Dear Dan Proft,

Google “pandora.” No, not the online music service — the other one.

15. - Big Muddy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 9:57 am:

There is a word for people like Proft and Matune, bigot. Is their end game to turn over the SSM law? Ain’t never gonna happen.

16. - Smoggie - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:02 am:

Dan Proft talks about “Christian values” and then does stuff like this.

Apparently he feels that the more he talks about values, the less he must live up to them.

17. - Walker - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:15 am:

The shame is that these are two of the better Representatives in the legislator, with expertise and common sense demonstrated on a whole range of issues, including good government, business and economics.

Too bad that none of that matters in Proft’s and Caprio’s minds.

18. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:16 am:

Oswego Willy, you are smart enough to know this isn’t really about “gay marriage” at all . . .

This is really about which IL GOP faction gets to control the Illinois political equivalent of the Washington Generals.

After all, even if the Generals always lose to the Globetrotters, its still a good gig as it assures invites to the best social events and preferred tee times.

19. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:24 am:

Dan Proft is a repugnant. Sorry I repeated myself.

20. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:26 am:

I am also dumb enough to believe that this battle for the “Soul” of My Party is tearing the heart out the idea of the Reagan Rule of 80%, and with that, destroying the opportunity of Majority, and embracing both Minority and Purity, and Irrelevence.

21. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:26 am:

Oh my goodness….and Oy. This one starts and ends with precisely the right sentiments.

22. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:30 am:

Oswego Willy, giving Ron Sandack a pass on his efforts to sabotage Keith Matune’s teaching career also “tears the heart out the idea of the Reagan Rule of 80%”

And I say this as someone who disagrees with Keith Matune - on politics - about 95% of the time.

23. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:33 am:

Bull White, if Matune lied about his arrest record is that not relevant to whether he should remain teaching?

24. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:37 am:

Thank you - SonofSuperAbe2014 - for demonstrating my point.

25. - dupage dan - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:38 am:

I live in Sandack’s district and have been bombarded by mail and robocalls. Sandack’s switch has been the focus of this, as has Matune’s criminal past. Ugly. I don’t know how much regular voters know about this stuff.

What I do know is that during the worst of the recession, Sandack made some tough, fair, decisions that kept Downers Grove afloat amidst some other communities having much worse financial crises. He kept core services running and didn’t raise taxes.

The GOP has to make the shift away from these personal morality issues. The way to that is to emphasize the role churches have in guiding folks in their personal lives as they choose, but to move away from using gov’t to do so. It is a liberty issue and an economic one and the GOP has to focus on that. Otherwise, surely in Illinois, the GOP will remain as back benchers and irrelevant.

26. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:39 am:

I am sorry who lied about their multiple arrests and conviction for indecency? Not sure this guy should be teaching our children. Furthermore, he lied on his employment application. I guess lying on an employment application is O.K.?

27. - Toure's Latte - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:43 am:

So far, Bill White’s take on this is intriguing. Perhaps he can expand on his thoughts.

28. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:48 am:

===giving Ron Sandack a pass on his efforts to sabotage Keith Matune’s teaching career ===

Matune likely did the sabotaging here by not disclosing his arrests.

29. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:52 am:

I will leave the falsifying of his background and his teaching situation to Matune and his conscious.

So I guess I missed your point.

30. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:53 am:

=== Matune likely did the sabotaging here by not disclosing his arrests. ===

Perhaps, however Team Sandack’s relentless social media barrage on that topic certainly doesn’t help promote a big tent for the IL GOP.

In response to Toure’s Latte - my take on this comes from having watched Team Sandack play scorched earth politics at the local level for over ten years.

31. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:56 am:

Bill should disclose that he served on the same school board as Keith Matune…I simply googled Bill’s name and there it was.

32. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:57 am:

Yes, I did and I fought with Matune constantly. We rarely saw eye-to-eye on anything.

33. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 10:59 am:

So you would agree that his gay bashing is over the top and sanctions intolerance.

34. - Confused - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:02 am:

Gosh, that image is a work of art!

35. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:05 am:

SonofSuperAbe2014 - we probably should jsut get together somewhere in downtown DG for a beer and stop cluttering up Rich Miller’s comment section with local squabbles.

Which is what this is * really * about after all.

I just hope our local Democrats stop being so useless and actually try to win House 81, for a change.

36. - Boone's is Back - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:06 am:

That thing has to backfire. It makes no sense and doesn’t even describe what the “lies” were. Anybody with half a brain is going to have a bad taste in their mouth after seeing that.

37. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:07 am:

Sorry Bill, but intolerance is not a local issue. Matune’s mailers preach a consistent doctrine of hate.

38. - Mokenavince - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:16 am:

Proft proves once again he should continue to
    play second banana to Bruce “Chet Chitchat” Wolf.

Not a very classy guy.

39. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:21 am:

Intolerance is an interesting concept.

I am a very liberal “Vatican II” Catholic and I strongly support marriage equality. As a Vatican II” Catholic, I am more worried about “Peter Breen’s views than I am about Keith Matune’s views. And yet, I do not see a groundswell of support for Sandra Pihos.

And although I disagree with the right wing Catholic view on many social issues, we can disagree with those who hold those views without vilifying them.

I strongly disagree with Keith Matune on many issues - including his persistent demands that we cut spending and taxes while at our school district - however I also believe he presented his arguments in a civil manner and that he has the right to present those arguments.

40. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:26 am:

- Bill White -,

I dunno about the pictured mailer you have popping up on your screen/smartphone, but a jack in the box jester…ain’t … civil.

You take the cash, mailing, whatever; you own it.

41. - Robo - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:26 am:

I think this will produce blowback on Matune. No listing of the lies and a gratuitous slap at Sandack won’t move the electorate. The only thing that could change that is if Sandack responds in kind (over the top).

42. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:29 am:

Can anyone shed light on the rumblings I keep hearing? Sandack had the nerve to take on Krajewski, who is the Downers Grove GOP guy, and knocked off his Mayor. That Mayor had Proft as a consultant. Both Krajewski and Proft have vowed revenge. Can any locals provide background? I keep hearing this really has nothing to do with SSM, but that they just are using that as a weapon.

43. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:31 am:

Oswego Wily, I agree with you. Proft’s mailer is stupid and juvenile and will probably hurt Matune more than it helps.

That said, there is a much larger context. I have a collection of nearly two dozen mailers - from both sides - each offensive in their own way.

But I stand by my original point - this is less about gay marriage and “tolerance” than it is about a turf war between two local political factions.

44. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:38 am:

Bill, a turf war is one thing, but using gays as fodder is reprehensible.

45. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:40 am:

- Bill White -,

I am sure you have that aspect down as to the “who’s and whats”, that is not at issue, at least for me. A jester in a jack in the box with SSM as the fulcrum; local feud or not, civil up to the mailer or not, it’s bad form.

46. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:42 am:

Keith Matune ‏@KeithMatune 5h
    On my opponents watch: Drug Use Up, Heroine Epidemic
    A tweet from Keith Matune. The man is a bottom fisher.

47. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:44 am:

=== using gays as fodder is reprehensible ===

Absolutely true. But Sandack’s hands are far from clean in this campaign and by greatest frustration is that local Democratic leadership loves Ron Sandack - for reasons that elude me.

Local Democratic leadership loved Ron Sandack back in 2012 when he pledged to support a constitutional amendment to define marriage as being between “one man & one woman” - hardly a gay friendly position.

THAT is one of my greatest frustrations - too many of our local Democrats see Ron Sandack as “their guy”

48. - MrJM - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:45 am:

“Heroine Epidemic”

These days you can hardly turn around in Downers Grove without bumping into a Wonder Woman or a Batgirl.

– MrJM

49. - wordslinger - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:47 am:

Mr.JM, is you see Scarlett as “Black Widow, let me know.

50. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:50 am:

Oswego Willy, you will never ever find me defending Dan Proft.

However, I am willing to say: “A plague on BOTH of your houses!”

51. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:51 am:

- wordslinger - she is “with child” so the othe Avengers will be guest starring.

- Bill White -,

If I were you, I would take your beefs to the Dem Party people and address then there. No being snarky, just reading your frustration.

52. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:52 am:

- Bill White -,

lol, what did I do to you?

53. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:56 am:

Heh!

Oswego Willy, I didn’t mean YOUR houses - I meant Team Sandack and Team Proft. In truth, you should be Governor. Best guy out there.

As for the local Democrats, if Sandack wins, whether they slate a candidate, or not, will be telling of where they truly stand.

54. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 11:57 am:

If you are trying to be rude or mean then I guess the ad works but it is no excuse for being stupid. I should be, “Put Jack Back in the Box.” This symbolism has nothing to do with Pandora.

55. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:02 pm:

- Bill White -,

You are too kind. Look to November for the Write-In.

As for your local flavor, I can see why you would ask for plagues, sometimes, it’s the local hand to hand combat that gets the most nasty; case in point? Berrios’ race.

Good luck stomaching all this, I do not envy you getting this in the mail.

56. - Carl Nyberg - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:05 pm:

What’s “over the line” about portraying a politician as a “jack in the box” surprise when he changes his position?

Compared to some of the mailings sent in other legislative races, it seems accurate and on point.

57. - Bill White - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:08 pm:

Too often local politics is the most nasty, precisely because the stakes are so freaking small.

I’ve seen too much hardball in a sandlot - from various sides - and when one side claims to be pure and virtuous while the other is evil, evil, evil - it gets me worked up.

Cheers to all!

58. - Jake From Elwood - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Oh the joys of Photoshop.
    We are sure this is Photoshopped, right?
    At least they aren’t devil horns.

59. - Wumpus - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:19 pm:

Thanks for making me remember my childhood fears of jack in the boxes

60. - Powell - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:29 pm:

6 seconds. that’s a pretty powerful image from the walk from the mailbox into the house.

61. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:37 pm:

===Matune likely did the sabotaging here by not disclosing his arrests.===
    Rich, I think you might be completely wrong on this one. Any parent who raised a kid through the “high school and college years” can relate to an incident or two that you hoped didn’t go on the kid’s permanent record. When you’re told and believe that a record has been expunged, you ought to be able to believe that restitution has been made and you’ve got a clean slate. That ain’t the society we live in anymore, but nearly every parent has had a trying moment. This hits them in a sleazy way.
    The record will show that I’m a guy who likes Sandack. Always have, still do. This wasn’t a becoming moment for him. The baloney of some “over zealous” supporters trying to affect his opponent now at the school district he works in is clearly crossing the line. I think that’s why Ron is in the trouble he’s in now. I hope he pulls this out, but Ron made a bad decision or got bad advice on this one. Until we start electing high school and college students to our assembly, everything but the truly egregious should be off limits.

62. - SonofSuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

63. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:42 pm:

Matune was his own worse enemy.

64. - Jeff Trigg - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

We need more Independents, Libertarians, Greens, Whigs, etc. on the ballot.

65. - Not in the Know - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 1:47 pm:

Seeing the typical responses from those who are crying shame on the messenger but giving a clear pass on the guy committing the crimes. That’s what we’ve become…ignore the facts that he not only made a stupid mistake 20 years ago, but that he keeps up the lie today. Had he come clean from the beginning would he even be a candidate? RS has been pretty fair with regards to his statements, never mentions KM in any of his Q&A statements, only issues. Remember Debi Boyle’s (another of Bill White’s Board 99 member) campaign from 2012? Nasty from the get go with support from Proft. This is not new in that area which says more about DG than it does about party politics.

66. - Big Muddy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 2:10 pm:

Proft the purifier clearly wants to take Sandack out. The sad part is he convinced someone to give him money to do it with. A fool and his money…

67. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 2:18 pm:

- Sonof===SuperAbe2014 - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

A guy…Matune has been arrested 3 times and convicted twice. He indicated he was an All-American Purdue gymnast. Purdue has a club team. Club teams have no All-Americans. I think the issue is his pathological lying.===

And that response boys and girls is what spawns ads like the one above. I know everyone I know is interested in the definition of a college gymnast. I’d check you on this…but, alas, I don’t care!

68. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

Knowing that - A Guy… - is an apologist for “Bruce Rauner”, I am not surprised at all that honesty and integrity are not a factor for - A Guy… - and this proves it again.

Once you make decisions against your better self, I guess it gets easier and easier to just ignore honesty and integrity in others you support too(?)

69. - Anon - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

Colorful, catchy, pretty well-done for those who like a little humor in their dry, over-the-top, melodramatic campaign fare that seems to rule the day. Thank Dan Proft for the creativity and humor. We sorely need it. The only ones who probably don’t like it are the candidate (understandably) and his supporters.

70. - Tom - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 4:23 pm:

I think this whole blog has gone soft. I found it amusing and effective. As Harold used to say, this ain’t no powder puff.

71. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 4:37 pm:

OW, my better self is doing just fine. What’s not a factor for me is the gymnast status of Club vs. whatever the other kind is. It’s reaching. Far.

72. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 4:43 pm:

Broadcast News ….

“…… he will just bit by little bit lower our standards where they are important. Just a tiny little bit. Just coax along flash over substance. Just a tiny little bit. And he’ll talk about all of us really being salesmen.”

Lowering your standards? So its a “Club” versus being an “All-American”… yeah, I guess.

Once you pick and choose to arbitarily, pretty soon, they all get a pass.

73. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 4:46 pm:

Deciding to “forget” about being arrested, it appears multiple times, if you want to give a “pass” to forgetting that … yeah, ok.

74. - Galahad - Thursday, Mar 6, 14 @ 5:32 pm:

The SSM vote motivated Matune but your missing the point. Sandack was against SSM when he was challenged in 2012 and the race was much closer than expected. Maybe you should ask why such a “nice” guy and ”effective” legislator is challenged and made to sweat twice in two elections. Sandack constantly harps on Krajewski’s inability to set aside his 2007 defeat for mayor and his need to get even, but most voters don’t remember or care. He comes across as earnest and appealing, but you don’t realize how many voters his bullying and eforementioned scorched earth politics have offended along the way. He has the House GOP and other flunkies to do his dirty work now, but there was a time when he did it himself and plenty of locals remember.

* Cardinal Francis George services announced
* Caption contest!
* Hold off a bit, please
* The mental health cost shift
* Credit Unions – “People Helping People” and their Communities
* Redefining Darin
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rauner response *** Madigan to Rauner: Disclose how you reached your budget decisions
* Today's must-read