Rauner wants to know a lot

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014

* At about the six minute mark of his interview, Bruce Rauner told WBEZ he wants to have a “cooperative” relationship with state legislators. And then he said this

Emphasis added for obvious reasons.

Be careful out there. He’s bringing the heat.

* Meanwhile, at about the 9:30 mark of this WTTW interview with GOP treasurer candidates Tom Cross and Bob Grogan, Mr. Grogan was asked about a comment he’d made earlier that running for office meant dealing with “a bunch of bullies”

“Whether it’s the fake people on Facebook or on the Internet that are going out there and making up things about you and doing that sort of stuff. It’s rough and tumble… It’s not for normal people.”

Asked if he regretted running, Grogan took a very deep breath and said

“You know, there are many a times that I do regret getting into it. I’m too stubborn and committed to turn around. Any time when you’re missing ball games with the kids and all that, obviously there’s a good deal of regret.”

He went on to say he felt he had to “stand up” and run, however.

1. - Bill White - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:18 pm:

Now THAT is really creepy.

2. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

Geez, you’d think a hands-on guy like that would have known he had Stu Levine on the payroll when he was trolling for TRS business.

3. - Downstater - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

Rauner sounds like a guy who is beginning the transition from Republican Gubernatorial candidate to Republican Gubernatorial Nominee.

4. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

“Signed,

J. Edgar Hoover.”

Yikes!

5. - Jen - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

Bob Grogan is a straight-forward, honest guy. He’s campaigning on his abilities. Yet, he’s met with doctored photos of him and childish bully tactics that is too much a part of politics. Good for him for running a clean campaign.
    He’s the better candidate. No question.

6. - Formerly Known As... - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:24 pm:

I am still not sure what to make of Rauner.

Those could be the words of someone out to control every aspect of Springfield.

Or those could be the words of someone who understands that you have to get to know the people you are working with if you want to get meaningful legislation through Springfield.

I could see Madigan thinking something like this in his head when counting votes or planning how to move a bill. Who stands where? Who cares about this issue? Who is on the fence? How can I nudge this person? Who can’t be budged because of their district, personal background or future ambitions?

7. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:27 pm:

I would feel … sorry for Grogan, but the Plummer move, and after meeting with Cross and defiantly continuing the race, you make your bed…

Class move on the SSM take, and gave “props” to Grogan immediately, but if you admit you are stubborn, politics is a tough vocation to be stubborn in at times…

This is one of those times, Bob.

Good luck next Tuesday, say hello to Jason for me.

just a shame…

8. - Empty Suit - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

Can the legislators expect a dead fish this Christmas?

9. - OneMan - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

It seems someone has read their Sun Tsu…

I am with Formerly Known As on this…

Part of me thinks this isn’t a bad idea. If you are looking to work with someone understanding and knowing their fears, their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities can lead to empathy. Since it is these things that can form a great many opinions and viewpoints. I really think if you understand what worries someone, you can better understand that person.

But….

This also can sound like he is building a file on everyone…

10. - Pot calling kettle - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

word: You are right on the money. Rauner’s contradictory presentations of who he is ought to play a prominent place in the summer/fall ad campaign.

11. - Dirt Diver - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

I’m a huge anti-Rauner person (though I’d vote for him over Brady) but I actually don’t have a problem with this statement. He is a creep regardless, but I would actually want an administration to value this information. I’m sure all the caucus leaders know such information about each caucus member, they just have common sense not to make such machiavellian comments on public record.

12. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

Their Social Security Number…
    Whether or not they are susceptible to any diseases…
    Where they keep their kid’s college trust fund…
    The pass code to their garage door opener…
    Any coming of age at summer camp tales…

13. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

14. - Arizona Bob - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:37 pm:

Grogan is one of those guys you wish would be in positions of elected authority throughout Illinois, from dogcather to Governor. He’s ridiculously better qualified than Cross to do a good job as Treasurer and he doesn’t carry the baggage of our current Treasurer.

There’s really no reason in the best interest of the people of Illinois that Cross should be running. He’s running for his advantage, not the people of Illinois.

It just doesn’t seem a good guy like Grogan has the guts for the street fight that is Illinois politics, and we are diminished because of it.

15. - Norseman - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

Way to build trust Mr. .05.

16. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

===an image of Tom Hagen at Fredo’s Brothel===

I had the same image in my head.

17. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Pot, Rauner is a laugh riot.

He sells himself as the hands-on guy who wants to know every detail, but he’d have you believe that he didn’t know that he had Illinois’ most notorious fixer on the payroll for $25 large a month when he was pitching him for business.

The contempt for your intelligence is breathtaking. But some people dig that.

18. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

=== we are diminished because of it. ===

19. - Dirty Red - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

If they walk passed any dark corners on their way home…
    How deep into Fifty Shades of Grey they are…
    What the calendar entry “LegisLAYtin” actually means…
    How they take their coffee…

Actually, that last one might be a real one. He probably would get props for knowing how they like their coffee.

20. - Wensicia - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

While he’s at it, maybe Rauner will replace the cardinal with a vulture for state bird.

21. - OneMan - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

Wow Rich didn’t know you were into mathmatics that much

22. - Jen - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:51 pm:

Grogan stayed in the race because he is qualified for the job. You think he was “defiant” because he didn’t step aside for Cross? That’s right, he wasn’t bullied out of the race.

You use strong words for someone who hides behind an alias.

23. - Formerly Know As... - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

One Man - you put it very well. These could be the words of a tyrant or a true leader, but it is impossible to tell for certain at this point. We will see between now and election day.

24. - Bill White - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

@Rich Miller and @Arizona Bob

You are both correct

== Politics has always been an ugly game. That’s nothing new, and it’s not confined to Illinois. ===

and,

=== We are all diminished because of it. ===

Same as it ever was . . .

25. - Rich Miller - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:55 pm:

===You use strong words for someone who hides behind an alias. ===

…said “Jen”

26. - Darienite - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

“Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.” If you are negotiating with someone, you need to know what is in it for them. So I agree with his premise; it’s the “their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities” that’s over the top.

27. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 1:56 pm:

===That’s right, he wasn’t bullied out of the race.===

Action.

Reaction? Bob felt backlash. Bob may feel backlash again.

In politics, as in life, decisions have consequences.

Jason Plummer knows that too…

28. - LisleMike - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:00 pm:

OW piqued my curiosity (again)
    thinking of future meeting between “vulenrable” State Rep and Now Gov Rauner aide:
    State Rep: “Tell your boss he can ask for anything else, but this is one favour I can’t grant him.”
    Raunder Aide: “Gov Rauner never asks a second favor once he’s refused the first, understood?”
    State Rep: “you get the hell out of here!”
    Aide: “Thank you for the time. I must go now. Governor Rauner is a man who insists on hearing bad news at once.”

29. - Obamas Puppy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:00 pm:

This guy already has federal investigation written all over him. Lets see do you fear horse heads in your bed? DO like to fly on Malaysia Airlines? Is your mother in a nursing home? All information that he needs to know in order to cooperate with legislators.

30. - PoolGuy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:05 pm:

from former CIA employees I’ve met, that “process” sounds very similar to how they locate and control their foreign agents…

31. - BR - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:08 pm:

Where was the “a 1/3 of the legislators in Springfield are corrupt”?

32. - Downstater - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:08 pm:

====“I want to get to know every legislator on a first name basis. I want to get to know them, their families, their hopes, their dreams, their fears, their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities. I want to get to know them well.”===
    First, many of anti Rauner folks bash and denigrate Rauner for being aloof, distant and cold. Now, those same folks are bashing him, when he wants to establish more personal relationships, with legislators. Come on man! LOL at the shallowness and hypocrisy of those commenters..

33. - Wowzer - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:13 pm:

Spoken like someone who would have known about that nursing home abuse.

34. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

–First, many of anti Rauner folks bash and denigrate Rauner for being aloof, distant and cold–

Examples, Mr. Straw Man?

35. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:16 pm:

“Bruce Rauner, he has to know everything, this guy.

He’d find out the kind of inside stuff nobody else knew, and that’s what he’d put his money on.

Even back in the Hedge Fund years, when Rauner first started out …he’d know if the Chairman was a Coke or Pepsi drinker. He’d get the “wind” velocity so he could judge the People’s sentiment. He even figured out the different bounce you got off the different kinds of Committees they used to pass tough Bills, you know?

Rauner will be workin’ on this stuff day and night. There is nothin’ about a Bill he is gonna bet on that he won’t know.

Session after session,, Rauner will be the only guaranteed winner. But he is so serious about it all that I don’t think he will ever enjoy it. But, that’s how he is.”

36. - DuPage - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

Sounds like the “Frank Underwood” of Illinois politics.

37. - PoolGuy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:18 pm:

he says 1/2 to 2/3 of the GA assembly are corrupt and need to go, now he said how much he really wants to get to know them. how is that not being hypocritical?

38. - Powell - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:19 pm:

Grogan has been awfully negative and bitter on the stump. If you ask me, what comes around goes around. Time for bobby to put on his big boy pants

39. - Walker - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:19 pm:

Runaway ego.

It describes what Rauner believes a “great leader” would do — but would bet he never actually pulled that off even in his own company.

40. - Grandson of Man - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:25 pm:

“their hopes, their dreams, their fears, their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities.”

“I’m a spy, in the Illinois House of love.
    I know the dream, that you’re dreaming of.
    I know the word, that you long to hear.
    I know your deepest secret fear.
    I know everything…”

(h/t to the late Jim Morrison)

41. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

I’ll help Bruce out …

MJM; likes Apples.

That one was for free. You’re welcome.

42. - Norseman - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

=== … Now, those same folks are bashing him, when he wants to establish more personal relationships, with legislators. ===

Knowing “their fears, their weaknesses, their vulnerabilities …” sure sounds like a real good basis for establishing a “personal relationship.”

Some people have no clue.

43. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

If you’re a legislator, Bruce Rauner wants to know where your children sleep.

44. - a drop in - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

“Why do I have an image of Tom Hagen at Fredo’s Brothel, and Senator Geary not remembering anything, and Tom offering… “Friendship”… ”

Agree. But I don’t think Mr. Rauner is going to wind up bing Tom Hagen…that will be someone else’s part. Just sayin’

45. - Oswego Willy - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 3:14 pm:

===But I don’t think Mr. Rauner is going to wind up bing Tom Hagen…that will be someone else’s part. Just sayin===

Whole lot of “I” words. Bruce might enjoy being the one to twist the vulnerability. Bruce has played “Bad Cop” to the “Career Politicians” from day one.

Bruce is not a “nice guy / touchy, feelie”. Bruce is a hammer, a sledgehammer, and would love to be Hagen, and “help” all the “corrupt” Senator Gearys as possible.

This is not an olive branch, this is putting the 177 on notice; you have pressure points, I plan to squeeze them…

46. - Ghost - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

translation: If elected I promise nothing will get accomplished….

47. - Langhorne - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 3:42 pm:

Just plain creepy, threatening, and ominous. I think he believes he is past the primary w ease. Focusing, not on the general, but his view of how to “govern” a corrupt mess of lemmings. Pressure, exposing vulnerabilities and exploiting weaknesses, coercion. Nothing about working together. Or whats good for the state.

Have any legislators publicly endorsed the baron?

Does he have any sense of what is governmentally appropriate or decent? Take this stmt and think of childrens hospital. Good fit. But he doesnt want contributions, he wants legislators to buckle.

Dont want to support me on X, Y, Z? I am cutting this and this in your district. Public be damned.

Quinn admin needs to fear the audit fallout. Rauner is fearless. If he goes too far, well, they know how to run an impeachment.

48. - A guy... - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 3:48 pm:

Grogan’s a genuine and very decent guy. I’ve put him on my letter, put up his sign in my precinct and told everyone he’d do a good job. I’ve also shared that Tom Cross managed us into a super minority and aside from the Coup that made him leader, I can’t think of another thing that happened while he was there that I’d put on a resume. He punched in…did something while he was there. Nobody can say just what. Then he punched out to run for Treasurer. Our party would have done better to tell him he’s done more than enough to us, not for us.

49. - ZC - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 4:56 pm:

I can imagine some of the conversations now.

Rauner: “What are your hopes and dreams?”

Legislator: “My dream was to live a life of public service for my constituents. Please don’t term limit me.”

Rauner: “What are some of your other hopes and dreams?”

50. - DuPage Dave - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 5:18 pm:

To me the Rauner quoted suggests that he thinks that legislators work for the governor. It sounds like how he would look at the managers of a company he is buying. How to control people rather than work with them.

51. - low level - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 6:28 pm:

Precisely, Dave. This is a prime example of why government cannot be run “like a business” and why super wealthy business types often make horrible governors.

Bruce: maybe while you’re at it you can explain to them why you want to forbid them from holding office if they have served a certain length of time. Why you want them gone.

Good luck with that…boss.

52. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 7:04 pm:

Sure Brucie wants to figure out their weaknesses, fears, and vulnerabilities!!!–so he can exploit and manipulate as many of them as possible as QUICKly as possible!

That’s how two-faced, Ulta-Gazillionaires like Rauner work!! Kind of like a Human Exterminator of sorts–lure each of ‘em in with a smile on your face/pat on their back while you CRUSH/step all over them when either their backs are turned or the time comes to dominate, so, knowing their weaknesses, you then continuously kick ‘em while they’re down and in need until you get what you want on your Manipulator’s Agenda…! Classic stuff, Rauner! Sick, too.

53. - Just The Way It Is One - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 7:06 pm:

Ah!–spelling again–that was meant to read above, “Ultra-Gazillionaires…!!”

54. - wordslinger - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 7:15 pm:

Just, you hit a home run, daddio. Well said.

55. - VanillaMan - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 7:49 pm:

You guys obviously don’t get out much.

No - Rauner isn’t going to speak like a 20 year Illinois political or governmental veteran. He talks like a self-made hustler. He isn’t going to speak like a lawyer. He isn’t going to speak like an administrative staffer. He isn’t going to speak like a bureaucrat.

Funny how this somehow disqualifies him to so many of you people.

But the fact is - he will probably win the nomination because he ISN’T what you guys want. You guys got what you want in government right now. And I have to tell you guys, it seems mighty possible that a majority of voters this year do not want any more of the crap and drivel being shoveled out by the other candidates.

The dogs don’t like the dog food you are extruding out your pie holes anymore. They are going for something completely different this year.

If your candidates don’t start talking the talk that Rauner is winning with, don’t cry on primary day or election day.

56. - Walker - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 8:06 pm:

Vanilla Man: You could be right politically, that Rauner’s story will sell.

That in no way makes him a better governor in fact. If what he says is what he really believes, then he is falling into all kinds of traps common to those who believe government is like a business.

Here’s hoping he’s smarter than he sounds right now.

57. - CollegeStudent - Tuesday, Mar 11, 14 @ 8:20 pm:

Spoken like a career political insider.

58. - William j Kelly - Wednesday, Mar 12, 14 @ 8:06 am:

Why stop with first names, hopes and fears? How’s about mothers maiden name, name of childhood pet and or best friend, last four didgets…. Oh heck just give him all nine.

* Rauner announces new appointments
* Unemployment rate falls again, IDES not impressed
* "The Governor’s Axe"
* *** UPDATED x1 - Former aide says report coming *** Quinn shirked final constitutional duty
* Umm... Huh?
* Unclear on the concept
* Rauner roundup
* Another possible Kirk foe emerges
* *** UPDATED x2 - ACLU responds *** Calm down
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition

* California DMV changes course, reverses registration policy change for rideshare drivers
        * The Week in iPad Cases: Hard Candy's shock-absorbing case, the latest collection from Rebecca Minkoff, and more
        * Amazon offers discounted Prime membership to celebrate Golden Globe win
        * Goal posts of the imagination: Innovation means shipping
        * HTC Desire EYE review rebuttal: bold and powerful, with a selfie on top
        * Level Up! Dragon’s Quest V, The Witcher Battle Arena, and more
        * Motorola Moto X 2014 – After The Buzz, Episode 41 (Video)

* This Week's Top Downloads
        * Re/code on TV: Upgrading Uncertainty, Big Paychecks and So Much Boxing
        * When You Might Not Want a Security Freeze on Your Credit Report
        * Try Flavored Vinegars for Low-Calorie Flavor Boost in Your Recipes
        * In China, VPN Internet Access Tools Suffer Further Disruptions
        * Indiegogo Life Helps You Crowdsource for Personal Causes
        * HTC Re Review: Designed For Humans

* White Sox honor, remember Mr. Cub at SoxFest
        * Flowers: 'My job to lose' behind plate for White Sox
        * White Sox add baserunning legend Coleman to staff
        * Rick Hahn, Conquering Hero
        * Memories of '05 championship rekindled at SoxFest
        * Back at home, Samardzija ready to get down to business
        * Rodon has sights set on Majors at SoxFest