Question of the day

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014

* From a fundraising e-mail…

Dear Rich,

Today is a big day! (at least for me and my wonderful wife!) I’m writing to let you in on a little secret: Sheila is celebrating her 53rd birthday. I have been married to Sheila for more than half of those 53 years, so that makes it an even bigger day.

For much of the past year, Sheila and I have been spending many happy days traveling the state in our family car, a Ford Focus hatchback, and meeting folks in the far flung cities and counties of Illinois. And if you don’t already know, Illinois is a really big state! Along the way we have met so many incredible, hardworking folks and families who also want to bring real change to our state.

For Sheila’s 53rd birthday, would you help us get across the finish line in Sheila’s race for Comptroller by giving $5.30, $53, or even $530? These resources will be put to good use, helping us get our message to every corner of the state that Sheila and I won’t reach by Election Day in our Ford Focus.

Don’t forget to wish her a happy birthday on her Facebook page!

Thanks,

Perry Knop

* For some reason, a wedding photo was attached…

* The Question: Your birthday wishes for LG Simon?

1. - MrJM - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:11 am:

Good luck.

– MrJM

2. - wordslinger - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:14 am:

Dont’ quit your day job — oops, too late.

3. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:15 am:

I wish you the ability to learn about Loyalty, and Friendship, and a clear understanding about “dancing with the one who brung ya”…

I wish you a clearer understanding of knowing how Lisa Madigan …thinks. I wish you a block on your email “send” button, so you won’t email Sneed with Dopey irrelevant tips that may seem to make you look…connected.

I wish you short memories…as you will be reminded, constantly, you are taking on, arguably, the most popular Republican in Illinois, with the Union support you craved and needed to be relevant.

I wish you a wonderful life after politics. You deserve that, and do does everyone looking forward to that too.

A birthday Cannoli for you, “Lt. Governor”, but the coffee that usually goes with it, I am saving for Closers…

4. - Anonymous - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:16 am:

Please tell me this is a spoof. Is this an Oberweis “Deflector”
    Message?

5. - Walker - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:18 am:

Nice photo. Best wishes.

On the road again, in the old Ford, banjo and all. Fun, fun, fun, til election day.

6. - shore - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:19 am:

might be the first carol mosely braun email solicitation since 2004.

7. - spliff - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:20 am:

Happy Birthday and I wish you a very long career teaching law at SIU.

8. - Downstater - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:21 am:

I wish you realize now not all children of famous politicians will follow with their own success. They have to have some qualifications.
    Best wishes for a life, after politics. Running a political think tank should not be your choice for a new career.

9. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:24 am:

I’d send her a copy of the riveting volume “The Comptroller’s Office: What it Does and Why it is Much More Exciting Than That Boring Lt. Governor’s Office.”

It’s more of a pamphlet, really.

10. - Wumpus - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:26 am:

Go to FLorida and spend your birthday with BiPolarweis and his wife. The state will be better off on two fronts.

11. - Steve - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:27 am:

To be as big of a sex symbol as the beautiful Lena Dunham.

12. - Robert H. - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:27 am:

A time machine, so she could go back and undo her decision to bail out of the LG spot.

13. - I Support Robert Shaw!!! - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:33 am:

I wish you love, peace and happiness in life.

And the best of luck finding a real job in January 2015.

14. - Old Guy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:33 am:

I wish her success in her musical career. I think it would be great if she could bridge the troubled waters between her dad and Art Garfunkel by forming a new Garfunkel and Simon duo.

15. - John A Logan - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:40 am:

Happy Birthday. Hope they are keeping a seat warm at the SIU law school for you.

16. - PERPLEXED - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:42 am:

Uhh…yeah…checks in the mail!

17. - Wensicia - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:42 am:

Happy Birthday and do yourself a favor. Get out of politics.

18. - OneMan - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:48 am:

More pictures that you share to remind people of who your dad is….

19. - Pot calling kettle - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:53 am:

Happy birthday to an honest, sincere politician. (It’s nice to know that we have one.)

20. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:54 am:

Happy Birthday and remember:

Far worse than losing, is winning but standing for nothing.

21. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:05 am:

I will first pop a Rolaid in my mouth after reading this to deal with the acid taste I’m suddenly experiencing from the letter and the picture. Having dispensed with that unpleasantness, I wish Sheila a happy birthday. More free time coming up for the nice couple.

22. - Phenomynous - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:06 am:

Access the the TARDIS.

23. - Jake From Elwood - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:14 am:

Happy Birthday Sheila.

See, I can be civil at times.

24. - Upon Further Review - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:19 am:

Laugh all you want, but if Scott Lee Cohen had not been replaced by Sheila Simon on the ballot as Quinn’s running mate in 2010, you’d all be looking at “Re-elect Brady” bumper stickers now.

Happy Birthday.

25. - Soccermom - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:24 am:

Seriously — I had no idea what or whom he was talking about. Then I looked at the photo and thought — why, that’s Senator Simon! And then I looked at the photo again, and I realize –oh, right, Sheila Simon is running for comptroller.

Not being snotty here. Really had no idea who Perry Knop was, and why Sheila Knop was driving around Illinois.

26. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:24 am:

- Upon Further Review -,

So Sheila dragged Quinn over the finish line? Based on what, she wasn’t SLC.

With that rationale, “Anyone but… SLC” would have sufficed, and now, Quinn should have chosen someone who understood loyalty. We know that is not Sheila…now.

27. - Upon Further Review - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:32 am:

Willy, you are the most Democrat friendly Republican that I know of.

Ask Adlai Stevenson III how well a gubernatorial candidate will fare with an unacceptable running mate. Quinn won with less than one percent of the vote in 2010. I am not going to address “loyalty,” but Simon did help an embattled Quinn in 2010. Her addition may not have been the sole factor, but it was a factor.

28. - Saluki - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:37 am:

The crowd of good ole boy pocket liners in the statehouse hated your dad too. Happy Birthday!

29. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:38 am:

===Willy, you are the most Democrat friendly Republican that I know of.===

I don’t think Sheila and Mike Frerichs would … agree, but if it helps your argument that Sheila and Sheila alone was “that” that dragged Quinn over the finish line and not Cosgrove, Union GOTV in Cook and the collars and a weak Brady GOTV game plan… that us on you.

“Anyone but SLC” makes the Stevenson comparison valid, not specifically Sheila.

With respect.

30. - A guy... - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:40 am:

Here’s an All Points Bulletin: I agree with OW on this one. Sheila was supposed to help in Southern Illinois, offer a little balance. Quinn lost all of it. I’m sure Pat’s not too upset that Sheila bailed. Even if Paul only helps secure his base and drives a little more turnout on the SW and south sides, he’s a big upgrade from Perry’s wife. Soccermom, you’re right…who knew?

31. - aunt_petunia - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:42 am:

Happy birthday, LG Simon. I wish you a fully funded, constitutionally protected pension in recognition of your many years of dedicated public service. Perhaps you’d be so kind as to share it with other state employees and annuitants?

32. - dupage dan - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 10:54 am:

You are in august company. Neither Hubert Humphrey’s son nor Walter Mondale’s son went on to long successful political careers after starting off in lower level offices. So, you have that going for you.

33. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:00 am:

That car is the only Focus she appears to possess.

Happy Birthday and Safe Travels.

34. - Downstater - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:01 am:

=Willy, you are the most Democrat friendly Republican that I know of. =
    No, Willy is the most Democratic friendly critical of Republican candidates and their tactics and strategy, Republican I know of.

35. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:06 am:

I am the “Daily Southtown”

Some people just don’t “Get It”

If you are looking for “the ILGOP is awesome and perfect” from all in the ILGOP, that ain’t going to help…

36. - Yipperdo - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:20 am:

Please come visit us in Springfield from time to time in your life after politics.

37. - Anonymous - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:23 am:

Happy Anniversary, and good luck on your return to teaching next year!

38. - Illinois taxpayer - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:27 am:

A birthday wish for a new character that understands the value of loyalty to those who brought you to the dance.

39. - Under Influenced - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 11:36 am:

Stop with the “no loyalty” card. You can’t box a person out and expect them not to jump ship (especially if you are a passenger aboard the S.S. Quinn).

Happy Birthday Shelia. You may not be a political machine, but at least you have integrity.

40. - Allen Skillicorn - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 12:06 pm:

Is that Perry with the mic? I’ve met them both, but don’t remember.

Anyway, the guy with the mic looks like a modern day Peter Roskam to me.

41. - Jerry Hubbard - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

That’s Paul, Skillicorn.

42. - Upon Further Review - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

@Oswego Willy:

Judging from many of your posts (I do appreciate the humorous ones), I think your answer to what ails the ILGOP is that it become “the Lite Democratic” party.

That approach has been tried repeatedly and it has brought the ILGOP to its present sorry condition. There has to be a better way as is amply demonstrated elsewhere in the USA where there are numerous “Red” states.

Just my two cents. I think Illinois would be better served with two actual political parties rather than 1-1/2.

43. - Responsa - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 1:06 pm:

Happy Birthday, Ms. Simon. Do you still have that lovely yellow blazer and will you be wearing it when you give your concession speech?

44. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

- Upon Further Review -,

With respect,

The Reagan Rule of 80% is not being, or been tried;

It has been “R _ _ _ S” and “Purity” at odds.

It is not the 80% that unites the ILGOP, the focus has been what divides us. Look at the “Unity” Breakfast, and go back 2 or even 3 of those with a Governor Nominee and the venom one side towards another. Bad news.

Litmus Tests are destroying My Party. “Every”, “Only”, “Must”, and “Never” are used to define “Purity” but in reality, they are shrinking My Party, not allowing growth.

My Party is not a religion. “Purity ” is for the Pius, not for political actors moving a party forward.

Illinois is not a “Red” state, and by pushing a “Red State” agenda here, Slytherins have made a “Purple” state… “Blue”, even more than it should be Blue.

We are shrinking My Party, for “Purity” and not understanding the Reagan Rule is about inclusion, not exclusion.

The more we tact “Redder”, the more “Blue” Illinois becomes;

My Party voted 4-62 against SSM. The polls have it far closer than 90-10 in My Party.

I am very comfortable with how I would like to see My Party grow, where My Party is failing, and who is to blame.

Being more “Red” will make being Veto-Proofed look like a windfall of seats.

With respect.

45. - downstate commissioner - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 1:33 pm:

I agree that the money request takes away from the “Happy Birthday” aspect of the note, but I am a little disappointed in the snark directed at her in this column today. Yes, she is in over her head, but Quinn’s making her Lt. Gov. wasn’t a BAD thing, either.
    Not defending all of her decisions, but don’t feel that she deserves to be dumped on by the political cynics on here…
    Happy Birthday, Sheila Good luck in the future.

46. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

I agree with the commish. Working for PQ for four years has to make anyone jump even if you are way up high. If all you know it alls are so smart, try running and winning a state office.

47. - anonymoose - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 2:15 pm:

Happy Birthday Ms. Simon….looks like Congressman Simon was breaking up the crowd with instructions on “The Chicken Dance.”

48. - Titus Lucretius Carus - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

Here’s a birthday wish that should be granted for all people of Illinois:
    Dispense with the position of Lt. Governor altogether…
    What a pointless and ineffectual government position!…

49. - Lyle - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 7:49 pm:

Great comments by Oswego Willy! Quinn is better off without a woman who could not win mayor in her father’s kingdom, who cannot raise money and complains about travel. No birthday salute here. Just glad we will not have to look at any more trips down memory lane with her father soon.

50. - Vote Quimby! - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 8:35 pm:

Happy birthday, Sheila. Sorry I am not sending you money, but best wishes anyway.

51. - Just The Way It Is One - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:19 pm:

Happy Birthday,Sheila, and many, many more. You are surely blessed to have such a devoted Husband, too, all these years. And, thank you for your service to the Democratic Party when it found itself truly in a real pickle 4 years ago and you graciously agreed to run as Lt. Gov. with Pat Quinn, as well as to the People of Illiois since your Election–no matter what result the Election in November brings…!

52. - Just The Way It Is One - Thursday, Mar 13, 14 @ 9:20 pm:

That was meant to read above, “…the People of Illinois…!”

* Good morning!
* Ginning up the base

* Andy Rubin leaving Google to help new hardware tech startups
        * New tones for Lumia
        * Motorola DROID Turbo vs Moto X 2014 (Video)
        * Microsoft Band unboxing and first impressions (Video)
        * Samsung Galaxy A5 specs
        * Samsung Announces The Galaxy A5 And Galaxy A3, Its “Slimmest Smartphones To Date”
        * Samsung announces ultra-thin Galaxy A5 and Galaxy A3

* Gold’s Gym Offers Fitness Plans, Free 2 Week Trial For Microsoft Band Users
        * MCX’s CurrentC Will Not Support Windows Phone Or BlackBerry
        * Analyst: Larger Displays Lead To Better App Engagement
        * Touch and Go
        * The Apple Watch Just Got the Perfect Rival: Microsoft’s Band
        * Why Tim Cook’s ‘Proud to Be Gay’ Essay Means So Much to the Workplace
        * The Gadgets and Gear We Couldn’t Get Enough of in October

* Minnie Miñoso belongs in the Hall of Fame
        * Development of young core in '15 can define Chicago's future
        * Abreu leads White Sox GIBBY hopefuls with five noms
        * Allen, Wills among new faces on Hall's Golden Era ballot
        * The offseason begins with a new Chicago manager and old arguments
        * World Series Game 7: Notes and discussion