Question of the day

Friday, Apr 4, 2014

* Bruce Rauner scored just 17 percent of Sangamon County Republican primary votes last month. He has slammed Republicans who work with public employee unions as “corrupt,” which would include all three of the GOP legislators who represent Springfield, which is chock full of state employees. Sen. Kirk Dillard, who was backed by those unions, won the county with a whopping 62 percent of the vote.

But Rauner will soon travel to the belly of the beast, so to speak

GOP gubernatorial nominee Bruce Rauner will speak at a Sangamon County Republican Foundation event in Springfield on April 8.

Rosemarie Long, who chairs the county Republican Party, said the first-ever recognition evening for major supporters of the foundation will be at the Sangamo Club. Drinda O’Connor is treasurer of the foundation, which provides support to local Republican efforts.

Bill Cellini was the foundation’s former chairman, and stepped down as its treasurer in 2012.

* The Question: What will Bruce Rauner say to Sangamon County Republicans? Snark is heavily encouraged, of course. Have fun.

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:30 am:

“Would you believe it’s the guy next to you I don’t like and not you?”

2. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:32 am:

“Pay no attention to what I have said for the last two weeks. You know I didn’t really mean it.”

3. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:33 am:

“And pay no attention to what I said three months ago, if that upset you. I’ve evolved.”

4. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:34 am:

Tony Montana meets Ivaranchin Montana.

“I was kidding. I WAS ONLY KIDDING!”

5. - MrGrassroots - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

He might throw himself at the mercy of the Republican Party. In his best Jimmy Swaggart voice, looking skyward (tears are helpful, but not a dealbreaker), “I have sinned against you my fellow Republicans and I would ask for your precious vote.”

Thinking for a moment and remembering his upbringing: “Please.”

6. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

Greetings CaptiolFax Commentators…

7. - bottom rung. - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:42 am:

Have you met my wife?

8. - olddog - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:43 am:

‘Who are you?’ said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, ‘I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.’

‘What do you mean by that?’ said the Caterpillar sternly. ‘Explain yourself!’

‘I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, sir’ said Alice, ‘because I’m not myself, you see.’

‘I don’t see,’ said the Caterpillar.

‘I’m afraid I can’t put it more clearly,’ Alice replied very politely, ‘for I can’t understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.’’s_Adventures_in_Wonderland

9. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:51 am:

“I’m reminded today of a quote from that great former Sangamon County resident John L. Lewis: ‘Let the workers organize. Let the toilers assemble. Let their crystallized voice proclaim their injustices and demand their privileges. Let all thoughtful citizens sustain them, for the future of Labor is the future of America.’”

10. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:52 am:

That’s the greedy union bosses in Springfield Missouri I was referring to, not you wonderful, intelligent, hardworking Sprinfield Illinois union bosses!!! Ho, Ho, Ho, what a mistake that was….

11. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:53 am:

“And in conclusion, allow me to quote that great Illinoisan Mother Jones: ‘If they want to hang me, let them. And on the scaffold I will shout Freedom for the working class!’”

12. - Red Ranger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:57 am:

“Hey, remember when you guys mattered and were relevant? Wasn’t that nice? Why don’t you get over your hurt feelings, work for me and once again you will get to give your mope brother-in-law a DOT job holding a road sign for $85,000 a year. OK? Good talk.”

13. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:58 am:

I shall call this the Malaysia Airlines flight path course correction….a hard left turn I believe is in order!!!

14. - Wensicia - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

“I’m so proud to be running for a public employee position! I truly admire and support everything public employees do for this state’s citizens!! Anybody got a AFSCME t-shirt? I’ll trade you my Carhartt jacket, as I don’t need it anymore.”

15. - Pre - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

“If you like the union you’re in now, you can keep that union.”

16. - WhoKnew - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

I’ve often called my office the Indigestion Section of the Belly of the Beast!

What’s the Over/Under on different shades the Chameleon will change into today?

17. - NW Illinois Dem - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:04 pm:

“My biggest concern, ladies and gentleman of the Sangamon County GOP, is that Lake Springfield is not deep enough to handle all of the yachts I’ll be bringing down from Winnetka. I may have to use personal funds to dredge that lake.”

18. - PoolGuy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

if you guys would have voted for Brady in bigger numbers four years ago, I might not be here right now. so thank you for not voting for that guy and vote for me. i won’t cut state workers pay and pensions. I promise. I just say that to keep my rich billionaire friends in Chicago happy. ok so we’re good now? thanks. wow that wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

19. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Greetings Peons! I will be brief. It’s either four more years of Pat Quinn, or me. Get back to me when you think it over. Peace out. *revs Harley*

20. - Newsclown - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:12 pm:

Rauner will re-create that scene from the Batman Movie where Joker burns all the mob’s money, as a way to tell them he doesn’t give a flip what they want or think. The again, like the Joker, he’ll go on to try and cause as much damage, chaos, and anarchy as he can… just because.

21. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

Friends, parasites, Illinois employees, lend me your votes
    I come to bury pensions, not to praise them
    The evil that men do lives after them
    The good can’t raise enough money to get elected
    So let it be with Pat Quinn.

22. - RNUG - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

“I hope Rich Miller isn’t in the audience recording this …”

23. - Hit or Miss - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:20 pm:

“I would like to thank everyone here tonight who voted for me in the primary.”

24. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

Well it’s either me or Pat Quinn there sparky….

Simple as that…

25. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

You’ve earned every bit of food on your plate tonight, but there will be no breakfast in the morning.

26. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

Meet my mascot, Quinnocchio.

27. - Commonsense in Illinois - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

“So this is Springfield…and you’re all Republicans….and you have all your teeth…

28. - Almost The Weekend - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

You see this $18 watch I bought to look folksy on the campaign trail. I want to thank you for it because I used the money I made off all your pensions to buy this $18 watch and fund my campaign for governor.

29. - Smoggie - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

Did I said that? Sure I did.

But I was running in a PRIMARY.
    Everybody says crazy stuff during a primary.
    Heck, I would have called for an invasion of Iowa if I though it get me three more points.

So now that we’ve finished with that bit of unpleasantness, let’s talk about the real Bruce Rauner.

Now, where’s that sledgehammer? And the watch. And the Democrat wife. And the guy in the weird costume.

30. - Norseman - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

I wasn’t talking about you guys. I was thinking about Bart’s Springfield.

31. - Goonhammer - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

I’m sorry, but I think Bruce has the personality, charisma, and people skills to make those people like him and not only that the papers to like him too.

Smart move by the Rauner campaign, I am sick of candidates always reinforcing their base votes. Chase those minuses! and stabilize the rest. Paint this map red!

32. - Sangamo Sam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

What’s my plan? I’m glad you asked: I’ll drive them nuts.

That’s it! Real simple, just like my understanding of how our state government works. I’ll be a nuts-driving dynamo. Remember that nut in the pistachio ads, the one that drove everyone nuts? Rank. Amateur.

A vote for me is a vote for going nuts, and you can bank on it.

33. - PolPal56 - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:48 pm:

“Sorry to arrive late. We had to stop by the Executive Mansion to make a few measurements.”

34. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

“A spectre is haunting Springfield — the spectre of Republicanism….

“…. workers of Springfield, unite! You have nothing to lose but your horseshoes!”

“Too fast, too far, too soon? I don’t know, sometimes I disagree with myself….”

35. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:08 pm:

Let’s hope a majority of 16% have purchased tickets for this wonderful event.

36. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

Make that 17% above*

New entry:

Since we’re going to be neighbors soon, I’d like to start fresh.

37. - MrJM - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

“I never meant to ‘demonize’ you — I only intended to ‘vilify’ you.”

– MrJM

38. - unclesam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:15 pm:

To borrow from Jack Nicholson: “Hubba, hubba, hubba…money, money, money…who do you trust?” (Batman, 1989)

39. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

I imagine he will stick to the script and remind Republicans of cuts impacting Central Illinois, the backlog of unpaid bills to nonprofits across the region, and juxtapose that with spending in Cook County, particularly the Neighborhood Recovery Stuff.

Probably close with something about how Quinn’s lies and mismanagement have undermined the public’s faith in state government and tarnished the reputation of the thousands of public servants serving our communities.

Team Quinn can see it coming from a mile off!

40. - DuPage Saint - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

First I am sure he will give props to the organizations founder Bill Cellini as a man who fought insider dealing his entire life, I am sure he will send him a carry out diner. Then more props to the future RTA Chairman Kirk (I worked for Edgar) Dillard who will put those pesky unions in place at the RTA, finally as a uniter and not a divider hew will hand out checks well over the minimum wage to all those in attendance.

41. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:32 pm:

“I’m here to drive you nuts. Are you nuts yet? Because that’s why I’m here. And to shake you up. I’m here to drive you nuts and shake you up. How am I doing? Is it working? Where’s my hammer?”

42. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

47th Ward takes a huge lead!

43. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

47, well played sir!

44. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:14 pm:

“I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.”

45. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

thanks fellow gop`s for a meal of crow,sour grapes,and humble pie.i want to get to know everyone here personal.

46. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:35 pm:

Hello, I’m Bob Rauner. My brother Bruce has resigned from the ticket and appointed me to replace him. I’m here today to celebrate the Republican glory years of people like Jim Thompson, who signed our state’s first collective bargaining law for public employees, like Jim Edgar, who vowed to veto any right-to-work law that ever appeared on his desk,like Judy Barr Topinka, who has repeatedly demonstrated that an inclusive Republican candidate can win time after time. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

47. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

can i get a shoutout from the .01% here tonight.

48. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

“You is smart. You is kind. You is important.”

49. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:05 pm:

thanks voters it cost $47..a vote in the primary,everyone has a price,whats yours?

50. - Quizzical - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:09 pm:

My other grandparents were non-exempt PSA-6’s.

51. - Tough Guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:31 pm:

Just like Elvis said “There’s a whole lotta shaking going on” , I’ll shake things up too! Oh wait a former governor whoa said that is currently in jail? Well ‘ Il’ll just shake it differently. Still no good? How about a group hug then?

52. - Roadiepig - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:37 pm:

“Who let all the common riffraff Republicans in here? I specifically said only my fellow .01% were allowed to bask in my glory! Smithers- release the hounds.”

53. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

“Leave the Cash, Take the Cannoli?”

54. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

hi folks we got this election in the bag,just like grandma is.

55. - kimocat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:24 pm:

Hey, I know a lot of you guys aren’t even union members and that a whole bunch of Republican professionals really got hosed on pension reform. But lighten up, you were the ones stupid enough to work for state government. Smart guys go for the cash.

56. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:27 pm:

“So, to summarize, in the end, come Election Day, we underSTAND that we’re ALL RePUBlicans here in Illinois, or, well–OK–it’s a Gotcha Moment by you Guys–’cuz I know you’re smart politically down here by the Capitol, as the meager 17% vote for me last March so aNNOYingly attests to and I just can’t try and BS you anymore, so, ok–YOU’RE all real Republicans, and, yeah, I’m NOT, I’M REALLY a dang Democrat in GOP CLOTHing–oK? But, ALso really, dontcha honestly wanta just, YOU know, ’shake things up down here in Springfield once–just ONCE Guys, so–ya know, you can let somebody like ME can then know how comPLETELY and utterly DOMINATING it’d feel to not ONLY be a freakin’ Billionaire and be rollin’ in globs of Greenbacks you guys couldn’t even DREAM about in your wildest dreams, but, cmon–just ONCE–so then I’d ALSO be able to know what it feels like to be like, well, yeah–like a KING, or even EMperor then–cuz electin’ ME would then ALso shower all ‘o that POWER on me, too!!

Oh my God,(if there is IS One, ‘cuz nobody really seems to KNOW what Religion I am, if any–but does that really matter anyway?), but, at least just to paraphrase for emphasis, My GOD, now that would be freakin’ unbeLIEVable–and aGAIN just to ‘fess up ‘cuz you Smartie-Pants Sangamon County types know the real score–is what I’m REALLY lookin’ to gain in all this, um…OOPS–that is–I mean humbly askin’ you to support me, that is, ‘cuz I really DO have genuine aspirations to, YA know, TRY’ ‘n pretend I could think and feel like you do, and relate to all you middle-class, run ‘o the mill folk–why’re ya’ll LOOKin’ at me like that, YA know, like I’m just bSIN’ you again, and givin’ ya some line just to get elected? I DO (chuckle, chuckle)–HONestly, I do–wanta try to figure out how to relate to you peons, I mean, I mean, middle-CLASSers as a truly Ultra-Rich Democrat in disguise, but, ya know–Republican for NOW just so I could get in–who, shucks, no offense but since I’m bein’ honest for once here, just didn’t know what to DO with himself anymore since I’ve got SO much Dough I could buy this very BUILDing I’m addressin’ you in 100 times OVER (chuckle, chuckle), so he just decided to lust for the freakin’ POWER of how just for the heck of it, how it must FEEL–even if ya REALLY don’t know to run a State like this or, heck, even really CARE how(!!)–just bein’ a GOVernor of a Major State to BOOT…!

57. - Mokenavince - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:34 pm:

It’s me the rich guy or Quinn, in you heart you know I’m smarter than him.

I can work with unions.

58. - Bemused - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Sangamon County will be easy.
    Bruce steps up to the mic and says ” who do you want in charge of hiring at CMS, my people or Pats people”?

* Dold demanded DCCC ad linking him to Trump be taken off the air
* Rauner handing out bonuses to non-union employees
* Miles away and worlds apart
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Everybody wants to get into the act
* The opposite of slick
* The Trib's closing argument: It's all about Madigan
* The expectations game
* Did Rauner kick a big can?
* More unintended consequences?
* From 23 down to 0
* Hey, Cub fans!
* An amateur nails it
* It can always get worse
* Republicans dispute Trib numbers, say Madigan doing better than realized
* Trump not cooperating with Rauner's best laid plans
* This just in... $12 million contribution to Leader Durkin, $2 million to Munger

* Google Pixel water resistance tested for an hour
* Google Maps Adds Food Delivery Support in New Update
* Android Pays joins up with Visa and Mastercard to make online checkouts easier
* Twitter’s sales team is taking a hit in big upcoming layoffs
* Apple Replaces Support Profiles With New Tool That Only Shows Devices Signed Into Your Apple ID
* Today’s Microsoft Store Mac trade-in offer for Surface never existed
* Visa Checkout, Masterpass come to Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Microsoft Wallet in 2017

* White Sox developing promising OF prospects
* Podcast: 2016 White Sox Outfield Review
* mikecws91's Offseason Plan
* The ten best developments of the 2016 White Sox season
* KenWo4LiFe's off-season plan
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues

* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....
* Ohio, Illinois governors place bets over Cubs-I.....

* Recording '59 JFK speech to be played in Illinois theater
* Want to see World Series at Wrigley? It will cost thousands
* Authorities: Skydiver dies after hitting sign in Illinois
* Sentencing date set for ex-Chicago schools superintendent
* Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois.
* Driver who fled Milwaukee crash that killed 3 surrenders
* Trial delayed for Chicago woman accused of giving niece gun
* Obama's library materials to travel from capital to Illinois
* Obama's library materials to travel from capital to Illinois
* In year of 3,000 shootings, a teen faces life beyond bullet

* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget
* Survey: 386 state jobs could relocate to Springfield
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through state's stopgap spending plan

* Lions and Cubs and angry aldermen, oh my
* Emanuel taps United exec as new McPier chairman
* Ready for sticker shock? Obamacare prices revealed
* Banks challenge Venmo with new payments network
* Longtime Silver Cross Hospital CEO to retire

* Doctor listings often wrong in Medicare advantage directory
* High lead found in 24 percent of Chicago Park District fountains
* Kris Versteeg scores shootout winner as Hawks fall
* Police: 1 killed, 8 wounded in city shootings Monday
* Laquan McDonald shooting still an issue in state’s attorney race
* Man shot in Chicago Lawn
* Man seriously wounded in Little Village shooting
* Kid at the heart of Cubs order: Young veteran Rizzo sets tone
* Teen shot in foot in Roseland
* Man charged with DUI in Riverside hit-and-run

* Elizabeth Warren to Donald Trump: 'Nasty women vote'
* Kyle Schwarber appears likely to be included on Cubs' World Series roster
* More than 50 killed as militants attack police academy in Pakistan
* Which Chicago-area singers survived 1st knockout round on 'The Voice?'
* 16-year-old killed, 8 people wounded in Chicago shootings
* Clear as day, Jay Cutler again the Bears starting QB
* Trump blames campaign woes on 'phony polls' from 'disgusting' media
* David Ross-Jon Lester bond began by chance in Boston
* Bears place Brian Hoyer on injured reserve, waive Joique Bell
* NTSB to investigate California bus crash that left 13 dead, 31 injured

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our Opinion: Endorsing Bourne, DelGiorno for the Illinois House
* Kathleen Parker: You can dress him up, but Trump is Trump
* Our Opinion: Leslie Munger endorsed for Illinois comptroller
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Our Opinion: With poor choices, Clinton gets nod for president
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Bernard Schoenburg: DelGiorno apologizes for backer's vulgar Facebook post
* Cooler temperatures lead to greater needs
* Women for Women tops half million mark
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged

* N-G Top 10: Football, Week 10
* Regional volleyball roundup: Chargers open with win
* Area prep statistics: Girls' swimming and diving (Oct. 25)
* UI roundup: Volleyball remains in Top 25
* Fourth and long: What's next for Vaughn?
* Tate: Cubs look set for great present, future
* Marion Council OKs new water meter contract
* Trio charged in Rantoul armed robbery
* Carbondale Police investigating two 'unconfirmed' reports of shots fired
* Stuff-A-Bus food drive for Peoria's Friendship House begins Friday

* Man dies in house fire near Glen Ellyn
* Accolades pour in for Aurora Mayor Tom Weisner as he prepares to step down
* NBA Western Conference team capsules
* NBA Eastern Conference team capsules
* Mike McGraw's NBA predictions

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Ohio, Illinois politicians make friendly w......
* US Senator and Senate candidate visit SIUC......
* U.S. Senator and Senate candidate visit SI......
* Cubs vs. Indians wagers: Durbin, Kirk bet ......

* Senators from Illinois, Ohio bet case of b......
* Ohio, Illinois politicians make friendly w......
* Cubs vs. Indians wagers: Durbin, Kirk bet ......

* Crain's: Is Chicago about to lose another black-owned bank?
* Announcements
* Last Menetti-Owned Building In Uptown Sold
* Cartoon of the Day - 10/24/16 Cubs win
* Cartoon Of The Day
* Auto Problems Top American Consumer Complaint List; Groups Warn Of Fast-Growing Imposter Scams
* GOP opponent calls for Schakowsky's resignation in light of undercover videos
* Pastors and Churches should ignore threats to be silent
* Rocky Horror Karaoke At Crew On Thursday

* Governor’s Children’s Cabinet Makes Lead Poisoning Prevention A Priority - October 23-30, 2016 - National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week
* Illinois EPA Sponsors Interactive Environmental Education Event with Riverton Elementary School - Riverton Third and Fourth Graders “Dive In!” to Celebrate the Environment
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Honors Veteran Mr. George Pempek
* Illinois Partners with State of Telangana, India to Strengthen Smart State Initiatives - State to state agreement to accelerate opportunities and service to citizens
* Illinois EPA Announces Vehicle Emissions Testing Network Updates - New Contract to Offer More Efficient, Less Expensive Tests