Question of the day

Friday, Apr 4, 2014

* Bruce Rauner scored just 17 percent of Sangamon County Republican primary votes last month. He has slammed Republicans who work with public employee unions as “corrupt,” which would include all three of the GOP legislators who represent Springfield, which is chock full of state employees. Sen. Kirk Dillard, who was backed by those unions, won the county with a whopping 62 percent of the vote.

But Rauner will soon travel to the belly of the beast, so to speak

GOP gubernatorial nominee Bruce Rauner will speak at a Sangamon County Republican Foundation event in Springfield on April 8.

Rosemarie Long, who chairs the county Republican Party, said the first-ever recognition evening for major supporters of the foundation will be at the Sangamo Club. Drinda O’Connor is treasurer of the foundation, which provides support to local Republican efforts.

Bill Cellini was the foundation’s former chairman, and stepped down as its treasurer in 2012.

* The Question: What will Bruce Rauner say to Sangamon County Republicans? Snark is heavily encouraged, of course. Have fun.

1. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:30 am:

“Would you believe it’s the guy next to you I don’t like and not you?”

2. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:32 am:

“Pay no attention to what I have said for the last two weeks. You know I didn’t really mean it.”

3. - Walker - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:33 am:

“And pay no attention to what I said three months ago, if that upset you. I’ve evolved.”

4. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:34 am:

Tony Montana meets Ivaranchin Montana.

“I was kidding. I WAS ONLY KIDDING!”

5. - MrGrassroots - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

He might throw himself at the mercy of the Republican Party. In his best Jimmy Swaggart voice, looking skyward (tears are helpful, but not a dealbreaker), “I have sinned against you my fellow Republicans and I would ask for your precious vote.”

Thinking for a moment and remembering his upbringing: “Please.”

6. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:38 am:

Greetings CaptiolFax Commentators…

7. - bottom rung. - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:42 am:

Have you met my wife?

8. - olddog - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:43 am:

‘Who are you?’ said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, ‘I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.’

‘What do you mean by that?’ said the Caterpillar sternly. ‘Explain yourself!’

‘I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, sir’ said Alice, ‘because I’m not myself, you see.’

‘I don’t see,’ said the Caterpillar.

‘I’m afraid I can’t put it more clearly,’ Alice replied very politely, ‘for I can’t understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.’’s_Adventures_in_Wonderland

9. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:51 am:

“I’m reminded today of a quote from that great former Sangamon County resident John L. Lewis: ‘Let the workers organize. Let the toilers assemble. Let their crystallized voice proclaim their injustices and demand their privileges. Let all thoughtful citizens sustain them, for the future of Labor is the future of America.’”

10. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:52 am:

That’s the greedy union bosses in Springfield Missouri I was referring to, not you wonderful, intelligent, hardworking Sprinfield Illinois union bosses!!! Ho, Ho, Ho, what a mistake that was….

11. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:53 am:

“And in conclusion, allow me to quote that great Illinoisan Mother Jones: ‘If they want to hang me, let them. And on the scaffold I will shout Freedom for the working class!’”

12. - Red Ranger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:57 am:

“Hey, remember when you guys mattered and were relevant? Wasn’t that nice? Why don’t you get over your hurt feelings, work for me and once again you will get to give your mope brother-in-law a DOT job holding a road sign for $85,000 a year. OK? Good talk.”

13. - Exhausted - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 11:58 am:

I shall call this the Malaysia Airlines flight path course correction….a hard left turn I believe is in order!!!

14. - Wensicia - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

“I’m so proud to be running for a public employee position! I truly admire and support everything public employees do for this state’s citizens!! Anybody got a AFSCME t-shirt? I’ll trade you my Carhartt jacket, as I don’t need it anymore.”

15. - Pre - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

“If you like the union you’re in now, you can keep that union.”

16. - WhoKnew - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

I’ve often called my office the Indigestion Section of the Belly of the Beast!

What’s the Over/Under on different shades the Chameleon will change into today?

17. - NW Illinois Dem - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:04 pm:

“My biggest concern, ladies and gentleman of the Sangamon County GOP, is that Lake Springfield is not deep enough to handle all of the yachts I’ll be bringing down from Winnetka. I may have to use personal funds to dredge that lake.”

18. - PoolGuy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:07 pm:

if you guys would have voted for Brady in bigger numbers four years ago, I might not be here right now. so thank you for not voting for that guy and vote for me. i won’t cut state workers pay and pensions. I promise. I just say that to keep my rich billionaire friends in Chicago happy. ok so we’re good now? thanks. wow that wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.

19. - Ron Burgundy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Greetings Peons! I will be brief. It’s either four more years of Pat Quinn, or me. Get back to me when you think it over. Peace out. *revs Harley*

20. - Newsclown - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:12 pm:

Rauner will re-create that scene from the Batman Movie where Joker burns all the mob’s money, as a way to tell them he doesn’t give a flip what they want or think. The again, like the Joker, he’ll go on to try and cause as much damage, chaos, and anarchy as he can… just because.

21. - Carl Nyberg - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

Friends, parasites, Illinois employees, lend me your votes
    I come to bury pensions, not to praise them
    The evil that men do lives after them
    The good can’t raise enough money to get elected
    So let it be with Pat Quinn.

22. - RNUG - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:13 pm:

“I hope Rich Miller isn’t in the audience recording this …”

23. - Hit or Miss - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:20 pm:

“I would like to thank everyone here tonight who voted for me in the primary.”

24. - OneMan - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:23 pm:

Well it’s either me or Pat Quinn there sparky….

Simple as that…

25. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:28 pm:

You’ve earned every bit of food on your plate tonight, but there will be no breakfast in the morning.

26. - Sage - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:31 pm:

Meet my mascot, Quinnocchio.

27. - Commonsense in Illinois - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:33 pm:

“So this is Springfield…and you’re all Republicans….and you have all your teeth…

28. - Almost The Weekend - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

You see this $18 watch I bought to look folksy on the campaign trail. I want to thank you for it because I used the money I made off all your pensions to buy this $18 watch and fund my campaign for governor.

29. - Smoggie - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

Did I said that? Sure I did.

But I was running in a PRIMARY.
    Everybody says crazy stuff during a primary.
    Heck, I would have called for an invasion of Iowa if I though it get me three more points.

So now that we’ve finished with that bit of unpleasantness, let’s talk about the real Bruce Rauner.

Now, where’s that sledgehammer? And the watch. And the Democrat wife. And the guy in the weird costume.

30. - Norseman - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:43 pm:

I wasn’t talking about you guys. I was thinking about Bart’s Springfield.

31. - Goonhammer - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

I’m sorry, but I think Bruce has the personality, charisma, and people skills to make those people like him and not only that the papers to like him too.

Smart move by the Rauner campaign, I am sick of candidates always reinforcing their base votes. Chase those minuses! and stabilize the rest. Paint this map red!

32. - Sangamo Sam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

What’s my plan? I’m glad you asked: I’ll drive them nuts.

That’s it! Real simple, just like my understanding of how our state government works. I’ll be a nuts-driving dynamo. Remember that nut in the pistachio ads, the one that drove everyone nuts? Rank. Amateur.

A vote for me is a vote for going nuts, and you can bank on it.

33. - PolPal56 - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 12:48 pm:

“Sorry to arrive late. We had to stop by the Executive Mansion to make a few measurements.”

34. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

“A spectre is haunting Springfield — the spectre of Republicanism….

“…. workers of Springfield, unite! You have nothing to lose but your horseshoes!”

“Too fast, too far, too soon? I don’t know, sometimes I disagree with myself….”

35. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:08 pm:

Let’s hope a majority of 16% have purchased tickets for this wonderful event.

36. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:09 pm:

Make that 17% above*

New entry:

Since we’re going to be neighbors soon, I’d like to start fresh.

37. - MrJM - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:14 pm:

“I never meant to ‘demonize’ you — I only intended to ‘vilify’ you.”

– MrJM

38. - unclesam - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:15 pm:

To borrow from Jack Nicholson: “Hubba, hubba, hubba…money, money, money…who do you trust?” (Batman, 1989)

39. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:22 pm:

I imagine he will stick to the script and remind Republicans of cuts impacting Central Illinois, the backlog of unpaid bills to nonprofits across the region, and juxtapose that with spending in Cook County, particularly the Neighborhood Recovery Stuff.

Probably close with something about how Quinn’s lies and mismanagement have undermined the public’s faith in state government and tarnished the reputation of the thousands of public servants serving our communities.

Team Quinn can see it coming from a mile off!

40. - DuPage Saint - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:26 pm:

First I am sure he will give props to the organizations founder Bill Cellini as a man who fought insider dealing his entire life, I am sure he will send him a carry out diner. Then more props to the future RTA Chairman Kirk (I worked for Edgar) Dillard who will put those pesky unions in place at the RTA, finally as a uniter and not a divider hew will hand out checks well over the minimum wage to all those in attendance.

41. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:32 pm:

“I’m here to drive you nuts. Are you nuts yet? Because that’s why I’m here. And to shake you up. I’m here to drive you nuts and shake you up. How am I doing? Is it working? Where’s my hammer?”

42. - Rich Miller - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

47th Ward takes a huge lead!

43. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

47, well played sir!

44. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:14 pm:

“I’m good enough. I’m smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.”

45. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

thanks fellow gop`s for a meal of crow,sour grapes,and humble pie.i want to get to know everyone here personal.

46. - steve schnorf - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:35 pm:

Hello, I’m Bob Rauner. My brother Bruce has resigned from the ticket and appointed me to replace him. I’m here today to celebrate the Republican glory years of people like Jim Thompson, who signed our state’s first collective bargaining law for public employees, like Jim Edgar, who vowed to veto any right-to-work law that ever appeared on his desk,like Judy Barr Topinka, who has repeatedly demonstrated that an inclusive Republican candidate can win time after time. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

47. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

can i get a shoutout from the .01% here tonight.

48. - LincolnLounger - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

“You is smart. You is kind. You is important.”

49. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:05 pm:

thanks voters it cost $47..a vote in the primary,everyone has a price,whats yours?

50. - Quizzical - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:09 pm:

My other grandparents were non-exempt PSA-6’s.

51. - Tough Guy - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:31 pm:

Just like Elvis said “There’s a whole lotta shaking going on” , I’ll shake things up too! Oh wait a former governor whoa said that is currently in jail? Well ‘ Il’ll just shake it differently. Still no good? How about a group hug then?

52. - Roadiepig - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:37 pm:

“Who let all the common riffraff Republicans in here? I specifically said only my fellow .01% were allowed to bask in my glory! Smithers- release the hounds.”

53. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

“Leave the Cash, Take the Cannoli?”

54. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

hi folks we got this election in the bag,just like grandma is.

55. - kimocat - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:24 pm:

Hey, I know a lot of you guys aren’t even union members and that a whole bunch of Republican professionals really got hosed on pension reform. But lighten up, you were the ones stupid enough to work for state government. Smart guys go for the cash.

56. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:27 pm:

“So, to summarize, in the end, come Election Day, we underSTAND that we’re ALL RePUBlicans here in Illinois, or, well–OK–it’s a Gotcha Moment by you Guys–’cuz I know you’re smart politically down here by the Capitol, as the meager 17% vote for me last March so aNNOYingly attests to and I just can’t try and BS you anymore, so, ok–YOU’RE all real Republicans, and, yeah, I’m NOT, I’M REALLY a dang Democrat in GOP CLOTHing–oK? But, ALso really, dontcha honestly wanta just, YOU know, ’shake things up down here in Springfield once–just ONCE Guys, so–ya know, you can let somebody like ME can then know how comPLETELY and utterly DOMINATING it’d feel to not ONLY be a freakin’ Billionaire and be rollin’ in globs of Greenbacks you guys couldn’t even DREAM about in your wildest dreams, but, cmon–just ONCE–so then I’d ALSO be able to know what it feels like to be like, well, yeah–like a KING, or even EMperor then–cuz electin’ ME would then ALso shower all ‘o that POWER on me, too!!

Oh my God,(if there is IS One, ‘cuz nobody really seems to KNOW what Religion I am, if any–but does that really matter anyway?), but, at least just to paraphrase for emphasis, My GOD, now that would be freakin’ unbeLIEVable–and aGAIN just to ‘fess up ‘cuz you Smartie-Pants Sangamon County types know the real score–is what I’m REALLY lookin’ to gain in all this, um…OOPS–that is–I mean humbly askin’ you to support me, that is, ‘cuz I really DO have genuine aspirations to, YA know, TRY’ ‘n pretend I could think and feel like you do, and relate to all you middle-class, run ‘o the mill folk–why’re ya’ll LOOKin’ at me like that, YA know, like I’m just bSIN’ you again, and givin’ ya some line just to get elected? I DO (chuckle, chuckle)–HONestly, I do–wanta try to figure out how to relate to you peons, I mean, I mean, middle-CLASSers as a truly Ultra-Rich Democrat in disguise, but, ya know–Republican for NOW just so I could get in–who, shucks, no offense but since I’m bein’ honest for once here, just didn’t know what to DO with himself anymore since I’ve got SO much Dough I could buy this very BUILDing I’m addressin’ you in 100 times OVER (chuckle, chuckle), so he just decided to lust for the freakin’ POWER of how just for the heck of it, how it must FEEL–even if ya REALLY don’t know to run a State like this or, heck, even really CARE how(!!)–just bein’ a GOVernor of a Major State to BOOT…!

57. - Mokenavince - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:34 pm:

It’s me the rich guy or Quinn, in you heart you know I’m smarter than him.

I can work with unions.

58. - Bemused - Friday, Apr 4, 14 @ 4:51 pm:

Sangamon County will be easy.
    Bruce steps up to the mic and says ” who do you want in charge of hiring at CMS, my people or Pats people”?

* Tonight's must-read
* Tribune to put tower up for sale
* They say that like it's a bad thing
* Exelon Just Received A $1.7 Billion Rate Increase Through The Market-Based Capacity Auction
* Point taken. However...
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Byrd-Bennett indicted by the feds
* Yikes, man
* The Credit Union Difference
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Kotowski bash, event list
* Dimas: "There's a chance we will have to introduce the FY17 budget before we have an FY16 budget"
* Unclear on the concept
* Rhetoric vs. reality
* Supremes snub Illinois Policy Institute appeal
* Aren't we forgetting something?
* True, but...
* Things are tense all over
* Unclear on the concept
* Rep. Leitch won't run again
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition and a Golar replacement update from AlderTrack

* Sharp shows off new AQUOS Xx2, AQUOS Xx2 mini
* Android 6.0 OTA news: Android One phones, HTC One M8, Nexus 4
* Here’s how to install Android 6.0 on your Nexus 4
* Motorola preparing to send out a soak test to 2015 Moto X Pure Edition
* Medium gets updated to version 2.0 with better navigation and new features
* Samsung assures users that LoopPay hacking didn’t affect Samsung Pay
* $6,000: the price of an Aston Martin Racing 808

* Foot issue to sideline White Sox prospect Hawkins
* After second base, it was no-go White Sox
* Scouting, player development key for White Sox
* Arbitration-eligible White Sox won't put dent in payroll
* Hawk Harrelson's reduced schedule creates opportunity for White Sox...
* Holliday, Ventura connection goes way back
* 2015 in 3 words: Sale, Abreu, inconsistency

* Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without .....
* Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without .....
* Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without .....

* Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without state budget
* Tribune Media considering sale of landmarked headquarters
* EPA pushes for 'smart thermostats' as way to limit pollution
* Chicago cab driver group calls for 24-hour strike
* Indiana man chose as 1st national Pig Farmer of Year
* 2 Illinois congressmen heading to Cuba on Sunday for ag trip
* EXCHANGE: Sudzy Bath and Biscuits in Anna caters to canines
* Group says interest in Chicago Halloween parade growing
* Impact of Chicago Marathon felt from now to Sunday event
* Chicago Democrats to meet to fill seat of late Rep. Golar

* Democrats say Rauner 'needs to get serious' on budget
* The Papers of Abraham Lincoln project still in jeopardy; memo paints discouraging picture
* Democrats: Illinois could go broke without budget
* Gov. Rauner ends quarter with $19M in campaign fund
* Prosecutors say former Congressman Aaron Schock is 'grandstanding'
* State Rep. David Leitch won't seek re-election
* Rauner to Democrats: 'Time's up' in budget impasse
* Illinois panel OKs medical marijuana for 8 health conditions
* State Sen. McCarter to challenge Shimkus in Congressional primary
* Rauner increasing pressure on Democrats for budget deal

* O'Hare bonds avoid Chicago stain in city's biggest offering ever
* Tribune Media seeks to sell Trib Tower
* Trib Tower for sale
* A champion of women's issues who loves board games
* Cafe Spiaggia got a makeover. Did it need one?

* Sweet: Emanuel says House GOP needs to work through ‘some issues’
* Democrats warn Illinois could go broke without state budget
* Obama returns to Chicago on Oct. 27 for fundraising
* Aldermen complain about ‘menu’ price hikes
* Charges come at rocky time for CPS
* Patrick Kane feels ‘really good’ as he hits the road
* Viktor Svedberg to get his chance on blue line
* Aldermen vent frustrations about city’s losing battle against homelessness
* Blackhawks mailbag: Crawford, Teravainen, Dano and more
* Ex-CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett, 4 others charged in contract scheme

* Former Chicago Public Schools chief to plead guilty to bribery scheme
* NIU evacuated, classes canceled following 'bogus' bomb threats to colleges
* Police: Wrigleyville celebrations relatively calm; 9 misdemeanor arrests
* 1 treated following high CO levels at West Side apartment building
* Smart thermostat program could cut energy bills
* New judge to be assigned to second Soderquist case
* Jeb Bush makes campaign stop at Geneva home
* Man, 79, went missing a day ago in Portage Park
* Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot wound at Lyons gun range, officials say
* Cubs, Cardinals fans found in surprising places, according to Facebook data

* Democrats say Rauner 'needs to get serious' on budget
* Bernard Schoenburg: Supreme Court refuses to hear Illinois Policy Institute appeal over press access at Statehouse
* Gov. Rauner ends quarter with $19M in campaign fund
* Prosecutors say former Congressman Aaron Schock is 'grandstanding'
* State Rep. David Leitch won't seek re-election
* George Will: Impeach the IRS director
* Eugene Robinson: Obama is right to be cautious on Syria
* Elizabeth Austin: 'Lawsuit climate' no obstacle to business success
* Rauner to Democrats: 'Time's up' in budget impasse

* Seymour man sentenced in connection with puppy's death
* HS Boys Soccer: Danville vs. Central
* Around the area, Oct. 8, 2015
* Police issue 23 citations in bar checks
* UPDATE: Heavy police presence at Paxton standoff
* Heavy police presence at Paxton standoff
* PODCAST: Sports Talk 10-08-15
* Peoria Super Hero 5K will bring costumed runners to Riverfront on Saturday
* 40 Under 40 Awards Luncheon
* Forty Under 40 Awards Luncheon

* In St. Louis some fans worry; others say bring it on
* Suburban business leaders get taste of DuPage hospitality at expo
* Officials: Bomb threat causes evacuation at NIU
* New president, Fed will determine U.S. economy, expert says at Palatine event
* Rosemont WWII veteran to be honored at Blackhawks game

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Federal agents haul paperwork, computers f......
* Durbin pushes bill to lower college textbo......

* 2 US senators seek to declare a Fil-Am his......
* Senator Kirk Supports Funding to Boost Eco......

* This Is The End...
* Rauner points to 70 Illinois Democrats supported collective bargaining changes
* Rauner points to 70 Illinois Democrats that supported collective bargaining changes
* Dixon police draw criticism over "Gotcha" crime prevention program
* Where's Weyermuller? At Wheeling Township GOP Women's 2015 Luncheon
* Police Chief McCarthy says "There's no magic solution" to ending Chicago violence
* REbarcamp gives Illinois REALTORS 10 ways to learn more from each other
* Peoria's Leitch Won't Seek Re-Election
* Get the scoop on Crosby award in Illinois REALTOR®
* Illinois Department Of Human Services Hearing On CCAP Changes

* Board’s New Rules Will Reduce Risk of Tire Fires and Disease-Carrying Mosquitos
* Illinois Hosts Inaugural Interstate Medical Licensure Compact - Aims to increase health care access through multi-state physician licensure program
* IEMA Announces Elgin Community College Attains ‘Ready to Respond Campus’ Designation - Elgin one of five Illinois campuses to receive distinction
* New Mortgage Loan Interface Increases Efficiency, Compliance
* State Fire Marshal Ushers In Fire Prevention Week - “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep!”