Quinn, Rauner to share the same IEA stage

Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014

* From the Illinois Education Association…

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and businessman Bruce Rauner, his opponent in the November election for governor, will make their first joint appearance on Friday, April 11th, at the Illinois Education Association’s (IEA) 160th Representative Assembly (RA) and Annual Meeting in Chicago.

The two have accepted the union’s invitation to sit together and answer education policy questions posed by IEA President Cinda Klickna in front of the more than 1,200 teachers, education support professionals, higher education faculty and staff and retired educators who make up the delegation for the meeting.

The union did the same thing four years ago. I’ll see if we can get a live video feed out of there. Should be fascinating.

* Sun-Times

“I don’t know if Bruce Rauner is really willing to sit and talk with me or talk with our unions,” [IEA President Cinda Klickna] said in March. “This campaign has characterized me in a way that I never characterized myself nor do our members. I guess we’ll just have to see.”

1. - Dee Lay - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:28 am:

Get your popcorn ready……

2. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:30 am:

The most interested observer could be Jack Roeser(?)

3. - William j Kelly - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:33 am:

Maybe rauner will bring a new script, it’s not like anyone will hold him to what he said yesterday.

4. - Big Joe - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:34 am:

Sure gonna be interesting to hear how Brucie responds to the questions put to him by the “Greedy Union Boss”, Cinda Klickna, the English teacher. Maybe he will have body guards to protect him from any harm that she may inflict upon him. I can’t wait for Friday.

5. - anon - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:35 am:

Rauner to sit with thugs!

6. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:35 am:

***“This campaign has characterized me in a way that I never characterized myself nor do our members. I guess we’ll just have to see.”***

I don’t blame Ms. Klickna for being cautious. This morning I read something from the Twitters, a brief Rauner interview excerpt from Amanda Vinicky, in which he said he’s not anti-union and is willing to work with all groups. This was in response being asked about his campaign no longer attacking “government union bosses.”

I think Rauner is doing the right thing and would like to commend his campaign for this. I think it’s a smart move. Still, he needs to prove what he says, and he’ll have his chance.

7. - AnonymousOne - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:38 am:

==he needs to prove what he says===

That would be an uncommon things amongst politicians. I don’t see much point in hearing their views. They say what they need to say today, 180 degrees the opposite tomorrow. What’s the point?

8. - Chi - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:43 am:

Rick Snyder, Scott Walker, Mitch Daniels;

All of them either said attacking unions wasn’t “high” on their agenda or that they simply wouldn’t do it. That doesn’t mean that they are friends of working men and women. They all signed bills that destroyed bargaining rights. These are Rauner’s heroes. Don’t be fooled into thinking he’s a nice guy that cares about working people. We’ve got his quotes, op-eds, and history to show otherwise.

9. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:45 am:

===What’s the point?===

Easy. In this instance, if the Unions still think this is all lip service come Labor Day, the mobilization of Unions, and their members working against the Rauner Crew could be a fatal mistake come Election Day. Could be. So, saying and then doing in this instance, under the scrutiny will be interesting.

Now, enter the “watching” of Jack Roeser. Lots of moving parts to fascinate us all.

10. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:56 am:

“In this instance, if the Unions still think this is all lip service come Labor Day, the mobilization of Unions, and their members working against the Rauner Crew could be a fatal mistake come Election Day.”

I agree with this statement or a variation of it.

I’m glad that Rauner stopped the ad hominem attacks and at least says he wants to work with unions. As a union officer, I occasionally have strong disagreements with members of my own union and in the past had some brutal arguments: purple-faced, profanity-laden fights. We won’t agree with everyone all the time, and that includes people on our own side.

I also strongly agree with Chi’s post. If Rauner easily beat Dillard, I can imagine him still keeping up the union attacks.

Rauner may be smarter than that, though, and he might realize that Illinois is not Indiana or Wisconsin. If he is, kudos to him, and it will be less painful to me when I see fewer or no anti-union attacks.

11. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 9:57 am:

Lots of interesting things could happen…

You could have a really hostile reception for Bruce, so bad that it could turn into a positive TV ad…

The teachers wouldn’t even listen to what I had to say type of thing.

You could have one or both of them possibility going off script, that could be as entertaining as hell.

Also I don’t see what advantage Quinn has with this crowd besides the fact he isn’t Bruce Rauner (a big advantage), it isn’t like he has done a lot to please the education unions.

It is going to be interesting….

12. - Walker - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:19 am:

Get on your dancing shoes. Bruce will be spinning all night.

Pat will attack Bruce’s clearly-stated public positions, and Bruce will deny he ever really believed them.

13. - Union member - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:21 am:

Why is IEA giving the devil a platform? He’s not going to repeat the honest, toxic things he said about union bosses during the primary and will come off as fair to not only some members but voters who you’re allowing in via the media. Geez.

14. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:50 am:

It will be as productive as Cinda K. and the IEA want it to be. I’m sure the Rauner team could say the same as Ms. K in terms of how Rauner was characterized by the IEA during the heat of the election. It’s important both sides leave some room to maneuver and open a window of cooperation. If it turns into a “muscle” contest, the IEA will lose. They simply don’t have the public on their side. The only way to get them there is to look reasonable and cooperative. Everyone has noticed that Rauner has laid off the incendiary language. The other side needs to reciprocate and make themselves look like reasonable, rational people. Or they lose. Simple as that.

15. - Nearly Normal - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:53 am:

Union member–both candidates will be there to answer questions in front of the several hundred delegates to the Representative Assembly. It will be recorded so both will be held accountable for their statements.

Four years ago, Quinn and Brady appeared before the assembly. It was good to hear from their own mouths what they were going to do. It was from them not their spokespersons.

Should be interesting for all even those not in the IEA or education.

I hope IEA will stream the video on the web. I have friends who will be there who intend to tweet as well.

16. - dupage dan - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 10:57 am:

Had to get to the 11th post before Quinn is mentioned by name. Interesting.

17. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:08 am:

=== If it turns into a “muscle” contest, the IEA will lose…===

Based on what? You can make a strong argument Karen Lewis made taking on Rahm a muscle contest. How did that work out?

“Bruce Rauner” will face, probably, a strong Democratically controlled GA, and being Tom Hagen or not, “Bruce Rauner” is but a 1/3 of Illinois Government.

The Rauner Crew better fear all Unions, including the IEA. The Rauner Crew will find out real quick even tempering language without actions that mirror the words will not bring compromise, now matter which of the two Rauners say it.

18. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:08 am:

–They simply don’t have the public on their side.–

The self-appointed spokesman for “the public” strikes again.

Obviously, the guy who spent $13 million to get 327,000 votes — 40% of the vote in a GOP primary with a 20% turnout - has “the public” on his side.

You put $13 million behind a bag of Doritos and you should be able to scare up 327,000 votes in a primary.

19. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:40 am:

Nice that both of you OW and WS chimed in consecutively. Karen Lewis against Rahm and GA members from the city is one fight. Her against the rest of the GA is another. You may or may not have noticed a predisposition in downstate members with regard to the City of Chicago. And Slinger, do you look at polls? (I know you do). Do you read editorials and Letters to the Editor? (I know you do)Do you have discussions with people? (I think you do) Do you give any weight to people outside of this blog or outside your own circle? (I hope you do) There’s a reason the original bill wasn’t called last week with a property tax increase in it. Do you think only the city folk are against that? “The Public” who you sneer about are completely driving this discussion. The IEA and AFSCME did NOT burn up phone lines last week, I’m sure you read that. Why, wise one is that? Be as smug as you’d like on this one boys. This turns into Rauner vs. Unions needing a property tax increase- Unions lose. Badly.

20. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:46 am:

–This turns into Rauner vs. Unions needing a property tax increase- Unions lose. !–

What are you talking about?

21. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:52 am:

Read it over until you get it. Playing possum doesn’t suit you.

22. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:54 am:

===Karen Lewis against Rahm and GA members from the city is one fight…===

And how did that end?

There is no position of strength polling out on Election Day with 58% of those pulling ballots to vote against “your guy”, and now the Unions had a dry run to see the inept GOTV Rauner had, now add in taking on Unions, then not… taking on Union members, and softening against Union Leaders…

I am getting dizzy.

This is not “get in board or get steamrolled” Rauner ideal. That was lost. You might be the last one who thinks either Rauner has that mandate.

23. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Still don’t get it. Do you have a point of reference, perhaps? Something that either Rauner or the IEA said about property taxes?

24. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 12:14 pm:

=== Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 11:54 am:

===Karen Lewis against Rahm and GA members from the city is one fight…===

And how did that end?

The crux is the Unions, with controlled GOTV, against “your guy” in the General is a scary, and real thing.====

Oh, gee dude, I’m sorry. The info I received said Rauner won the primary. They controlled it, did they. Sandack beat their guy. Mitchell beat their guy, Breen beat their guy. Rauner, ahem, beat their guy. Was this a moral victory, dude?

They poured millions into these and lost. Did they get some wayward Dems to pull R ballots. Yep. At most, they toned down the rhetoric. GOTV must have been really amazing near your home. Everywhere else it was down. Your revisionist approach isn’t refreshing at all. For all you know, Rauner wound up with his target of votes. The chicanery of “switching over” will pollute their data for a good while. They’ve just identified themselves to astute campaign data people. We really should send them a thank you note.

To answer your first question, Karen presided over a strike. That winning to you, Willie? The kids win there? You’re the one who always says Illinois ain’t (pick any state). Well, it ain’t Chicago either. All those suburban and downstate members aren’t as easy to squeeze by CTU. Just watch. Can’t encourage you to learn, cause you don’t want to.

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 12:35 pm:

===Oh, gee dude, I’m sorry. The info I received said Rauner won the primary.===

Primaries are one thing, the General is another.

Again, you are the only person around who didn’t think the vaunted Rauner GORV wasn’t lacking.

Statewide races that face a controlled GOTV and have none, have a significant chance at losing, See Beady 2010.

=== For all you know, Rauner wound up with his target of votes===

I guess his target was to get 58% of the voters NOT voting for Bruce. Ok.

Bruce Rauner sees no problem presiding over a state shutdown, is that winning?

You need Chicago and Cook to win as a GOP Nominee for governor. I guess Raunerites like their cake, shaken?

===Rauner, ahem, beat their guy. Was this a moral victory, dude===

Nope. You fail to see that Sangamon GOP sees Rauner as a Raunerite. That is the lesson. The GOP base to build a cake, was “polluted” with other state workers in a County where government is the industry. Guess what, it may not get better one on one with Quinn. If these voters voted against “your guy” once, think they might vote against your guy again?

26. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:12 pm:

“If these voters voted against “your guy” once, think they might vote against your guy again?” Said Willie.
    As you stated, the next one’s a General and their choices will be one Republican and one Democrat and a outlier.
    They voted “for” the “born again” union supporter last time. Not sure that option exists this time. Am sure there’s not a GOP version of it on the ballot.

I guess the answer is “We’ll see”. Just like with what Meeks might provide in the city; we’ll see. Just like with a lot of places around the state, we’ll see.

I don’t see a “shut down”. I’m not sure why you do.

27. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

===I don’t see a “shut down”. I’m not sure why you do.===

I do because Bruce has said it is possible…do you listen to “your guy” or only listen to lemming talking points to make yiu a swell Raunerbot?

28. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 2:16 pm:

==I don’t see a “shut down”. I’m not sure why you do.==

Well, being the smarter than everyone else in the room here @A guy, you should be able to decipher the potential outcome when Rauner said he was going to eviscerate the union contract. I know a smart guy like yourself can draw conclusions.

29. - A guy... - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

I still don’t see one Willie, and that comment didn’t make it any clearer. And Demoralized, I’m not the smartest guy in the room (probably Rich is, or RNUG, there are lots of smart folks)I’m just smarter than you.

30. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

==I’m just smarter than you==

You need to change your moniker from A Guy to Arrogant Guy. Fits you better.

Happy Trolling.

31. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

I know you are new to facts. It has to be tough for you - A Guy… -;

===Rauner got some attention for comments he made at a similar event - a Cumberland County Lincoln Day Dinner - suggesting he might shut down state government if elected.
    “I may have to take a strike and shut down the government for a few weeks [in order to] redo everybody’s contract,” he said.===

I used the “Search” key. You catch up to the rest of us when you can.

32. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Apr 9, 14 @ 3:22 pm:

And that’s the ballgame.

* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend
* Fracking rules finally unveiled
* A big IDOT roundup
* Even Steven, for now
* *** UPDATED x1 - Confirmed *** Report: Libertarians file charges
* Big guys dinged a bit, but little guys helped a lot
* Today's photo

* Touchdown! Football Apps for Windows Phone
        * Is sapphire glass all it’s cracked up to be?
        * Galaxy Note 4 resolution confirmed by Samsung site, poster
        * Apple Finalizes Lineup for 2014 iTunes Festival in London, Starts Tonight
        * Why I wish I could charge my iPhone wirelessly
        * First ROMs for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet surface
        * Automate your Mac: four smart hacks for managing files

* What is the blue light from our screens really doing to our eyes?
        * StoryWorth Squeezes Stories Out of All Your Family Members
        * Android One May Get Official On September 15th
        * Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Resolution Confirmed By Samsung’s Website
        * Apple Spaceship Campus Takes Shape (Video)
        * AT&T sues Cox over DVR patents
        * More Rumors Suggest That Reversible Lightning Cable Will Not Ship With iPhone 6

* Breaks turn in Quintana's favor against Tigers
        * Molina outrighted; roster spot opens up for Rodon
        * Wilkins, Snodgress part of White Sox shuffle
        * Noesi looks to continue push toward season's end
        * Breaks turn in Quintana's favor against Tigers
        * Dunn to retire following season
        * White Sox deal Dunn to A's for pitching prospect