Question of the day

Friday, Apr 11, 2014

* NBC 5

A bill preventing the use of police ticket quotas passed in the Illinois Senate Thursday in a 57-1 vote.

The legislation would prevent ticket quotas at any state, county and municipal police departments. It also states that departments would not be allowed to evaluate an officer’s performance based on the number of citations they issue.

The bill had the support of 19 sponsors in the Senate, including Sen. Kirk Dillard. The Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, however, fought the measures.

* SJ-R

Republican Sen. Tim Bivins, the lone “no” vote, said the bill would give the small percentage of officers who don’t want to do their jobs incentive to slack off.

Bivins, a former sheriff in Lee County, said that if the bill passes, it would take discretion out of the hands of management and could be the first step toward “circumventing the collective bargaining practice that exists.”

But Manar argued that officers need more discretion, calling the bill “necessary because a quota takes away from a police officer’s ability to use good judgment.”

He also said local governments are often tempted to use law enforcement quota policies as a way to raise revenue.

* The Question: Have you ever experienced a traffic ticket situation where you believed the police officer didn’t have the discretion to issue a simple warning? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

panel management

1. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:37 pm:

Yes, got speeding ticker from state trooper- radar unit with several pickup cars-don’t believe it was a quota, just the nature of that kind of operation.

2. - AFSCME Steward - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

Illinois State Police never give warnings.

3. - downstate commissioner - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:42 pm:

oops anon @ 12:37 was me

4. - downstate commissioner - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:44 pm:

“Never” is pretty strong-know of at least one incident where warning was given-wasn’t speeding though.

5. - countyline - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:48 pm:

No, but the speed trap at the Glenarm exit on I-55 seems to come alive the last week of the month, pretty obvious what’s going on.

6. - Dean Keaton - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:52 pm:

I’ve only been pulled over for speeding once when I was in college and I DEFINATELY deserved that ticket. The mandatory court appearance and huge fine taught me my lesson on that one 12 years ago.

7. - Walker - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:53 pm:

My beef is with officers who add multiple tickets to a simple speeding situation — failure to signal, improper lane use, rolling thru a stop, etc, when I am certain they did did not occur, yet it’s impossible to prove the officer made them up. Perhaps dash cams now help with this more than they used to.

8. - 47th Ward - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

This isn’t relevant necessarily, but this question reminded me of the first time I ever got a speeding ticket.

I was 16, and had my license for about a month before I was allowed to drive down to Charleston to visit my brother at EIU. So I’m driving along on I-57, minding my own business, keeping up with traffic on a beautiful spring day, probably going about 65 or so. This was back when it was still 55 of course, but it wasn’t like I was breaking any speed records or driving way faster than other traffic.

Then I saw something in the middle of the road, maybe a mile or more away. A car, stopped, blocking both lanes of the highway. I slowed, as did the cars near me, and as I got closer, it was a police car in the middle of the road. And the trooper was standing in front of his car waving us over to the shoulder. All of us, maybe 5 or 6 cars at once. There were a couple of other troopers parked there too, ready and waiting for us.

I’ll never forget the trooper who came to give me my ticket. He took one look at me and the date on my brand new license and said, “dang kid, if it was any other time I’d have let you go with a warning. But when we use the airplane, everybody has to get a ticket.”

After that, I always knew what those odd white lines on the pavement are for. Aerial speeding enforcement. Not sure if they even bother with that, but I still keep an eye out for planes when I’m driving on the interstates.

9. - x ace - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:00 pm:

Supreme Ct Rule 503 (a ) says multiple tickets should not be issued

( Anti “Wallpapering ” Rule been there a long time)
    But Cops continually add Seat Belts and others to get Grant Money, satisfy Hire Back programs , and meet Quotas

10. - RNUG - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:04 pm:

- AFSCME Steward - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 12:41 pm:

Personally, years ago I was rolling up I-55 one morning in a bright yellow sports car during the rush hour doing a good 15 over just like the rest of the traffic. State Trooper pulled me over out of the pack at the 88 mile maker and his first words to me were: “I’m only going to write a warning. I wanted to slow down the traffic and you’re it.” Couldn’t get mad after he said that.

11. - anon - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:07 pm:

12. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:10 pm:

I voted no, though I have been party to traffic stops where I believe the officer used poor discretion.

13. - Demoralized - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:11 pm:

==illinois State Police never give warnings.==

I would dispute that. I was pulled over by a state trooper doing 73 in a 55 one time and I got a very stern warning. No ticket though.

14. - wordslinger - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:25 pm:

Yes, but not in Illinois.

Kenosha County, WI, will tune you up if you have a Fibbie plate. They’re legendary.

Stone Park along Mannheim south of O’Hare is infamous for shakedowns, legal and otherwise.

15. - Darienite - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

Was ticketed on Bluff Road outside of Argonne on a Sunday afternoon doing 45 in a 35 zone. On the 28th of September. I think we can connect the dots.

16. - Ggal - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Maybe it’s me, but, it bothers me that politicians are involved in performance evaluations.

17. - Keyser Soze - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

During the 55 mph era I was pulled over, along with a number of others, in an airplane sting in Montgomery County. The trooper apologized for giving me a ticket and told me to blame it on the Governor, Jim Thompson at the time. It was almost a pleasant experience.

18. - Sooooo... - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

Officer actually said “I wish I could give you a warning since you have a clean record, but I already gave someone else a warning today.”

19. - Jake From Elwood - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

In my experience, respect and politeness can usually get you out of minor speeding violations.

20. - AFSCME Steward - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

“state troopers give a lot of warnings. I was never told to write a certain amount of tickets nor did I feel pressured to write a certain amount of citations. When I was on patrol the emphasis was on any kind of motorist contact (tickets, warnings, and assisting motorists), a state trooper”

I was with my wife near Rockford. She was the last car in a row of cars all going the same speed (about 10 MPH over the limit). She was given a ticket. No warning.

21. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:32 pm:

==Illinois State Police never give warnings.==

Nope, was with a relative a long time ago and she got a warning from ISP regarding lights in rain.

22. - Precinct Captain - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:34 pm:

I meant to add that the warning my relative received literally said “Warning Ticket.”

23. - anon - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

24. - Belle - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

I’ve never had a warning but I’ve not had many tickets either. Any tickets I’ve received, I deserved.

25. - AFSCME Steward - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

“AFSCME Steward, in my experience, “about 10 MPH” = around 15-18 over. I never said troopers didn’t write tickets. I just said they weren’t pressured to do so. The only guys I know that were told to write a specific amount of tickets during a shift were smaller town police and they were usually looking for non-residents.”

Not 15-18 over. She was the last car in a line of cars all going about 10MPH over, like everybody does. Not excessive. Not 85, or 90. Just flowing with traffic. For some reason they picked her out & got her.

26. - Anonymous - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:18 pm:

I was pulled over for speeding and deserved a ticket if ever a ticket was deserved. After following someone in a single lane on interstate going about 15 mph in a construction zone where speed limit was 45 for about 10 miles, I had had it and floored it to make up time. No question I deserved it. But when officer pulled me over, ran my VIN and came back after 10 mins or so to tell me I was driving a stolen vehicle (and I was terribly late for an important meeting now), I broke down. Of course it wasn’t stolen. Bought and paid for and sat in my garage for 5 years now. But I was imagining being carted off in his vehicle and arrested. Respectfully I told him that this was impossible. After about another 15 minutes, he came back and stated that he’d entered the wrong VIN by one digit and he’d let me go with a warning for speeding. Now, I’m about an hour late but always wondered what that was really all about. That was some warning I got and I’ve been a slowpoke driver ever since.

27. - Amalia - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:33 pm:

ever experience a speed trap where the speed changes at a point where your speed naturally increases because you are going downhill, and because you do not realize that what is coming up is a zone 15 miles slower than where you have just been? and the officer who pulls you over is mean and relentless and says you are more than speeding, you are a danger? some places exist to make revenue and the officers on patrol have no mercy. perhaps they can’t have mercy, but they sure have none.

28. - Nearly Normal - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

One of our teachers had been a city policeman. When we left school one Friday afternoon, he told us to be careful while driving. It was a new month and the police have their quota of tickets to fill each month.

I said I had always heard that there was a quota but did not ever hear if it was true or not. Oh yes, he said, it’s true especially for the state troopers.

29. - A guy... - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:56 pm:

I know I did. The cop told me so. He also advised me to go to court and “he wouldn’t be there”. He told me what to tell the judge. He wrote me up for 6-10 over instead of 15 over. I did as he said and the judge waived the charge and part of the fee. The good natured, but insistent cop told me when not to speed in the area. His quota was for tickets. Convictions didn’t matter.

30. - Ahoy! - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

Yes, it was during a road side stop, my drivers licence renewal was less than 30 days past due, a judge dismissed the ticket.

31. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

Yes–pretty much when they’ve got the “Gun,” i.e. Radar, on you, and you’re WAY over, I’ve heard where a couple guys try to talk themselves out of it, but feel as if since they have you dead to rights, and eSPECIALLY if they have to meet a Quota, there’s really no discretion allowable in their minds at that poing–i.e. they just HAVE to give you the Ticket because it’s just SO clear that they’ve got you beyond a doubt–which is not always as easy to prove on some tickets as some folks might like to think…!

32. - Just The Way It Is One - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 3:58 pm:

That was meant to read above, “…at that point…!”

33. - titan - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

I got pulled over on Route 38 near DeKalb, with a half dozen other cars, for going marginally over the limit (but right with the flow of traffic), aby a team of a few cops - right before the end of the month. All the cars got tickets. It had a rather unusual “automated production line” sort of feel to it.

34. - Wumpus - Friday, Apr 11, 14 @ 4:57 pm:

No, I’ve gotten out of more tickets than I received. One in Philly/NJ, one in SC and one in IL. It must be my respectful nature, winning smile and handsome face.

* Pressure builds on Alvarez, McCarthy
* Final day to file!
* SEIU claims court victory on health insurance
* So long, Kurt!
* Will "right to work" pop up again?
* A little bit of what's at stake this week
* More poison pills
* Time heals most wounds
* NYT looks at Griffin, Rauner
* LaQuan McDonald case: Three suggestions for state action

* Eddy Cue Discusses Why Apple Made a Pre-Installed News App
* LG V10 bundle promo is back with just a bit less love
* Samsung Mobile chief steps back to focus on long-term growth
* Shin gives way to Koh as Samsung mobile communications president
* You can now save images to folders within Google image search on mobile
* Tengami is a beautiful puzzle game now out on Android, on discounted launch
* Apple v. Samsung: the iPod patent art blunder

* Avila eager to wage 'friendly' AL Central rivalry
* Non-tender deadline looks familiar for White Sox
* Detroit Tigers make AL Central's first big splash with Jordan Zimme...
* South Side Sox' SB Nation MLB Awards voting results
* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox

* Tuesday Leadership Meeting Preview - Alton Dail.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Closer Look: Task force looks to shrink Illinoi.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....
* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois bu.....

* Demonstrations continue in police shooting of black teen
* Student in custody for allegedly bringing gun to school
* Correction: Closer Look-Government Consolidation story
* Man dies after trapped in central Illinois corn dryer
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* 3rd man charged with murder in Chicago triple homicide
* Cities, counties struggle during Illinois budget mess
* 1st weekend of Illinois firearm deer hunt beats last year
* Police investigate break-ins at 4 Champaign-Urbana hotspots
* Urbana chef taps family members for his kitchen staff

* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois budget mess
* Two file to run against Rodney Davis as candidates rush to beat Monday deadline
* Candidates rush to beat Monday filing deadline
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* Cities, counties struggle during Illinois budget mess
* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse

* Peoples' new owner urges no slowdown in high-cost pipe program
* CEO leaves struggling Broadwind Energy
* Illinois Obamacare insurer halts new small-biz enrollees
* Chicago cop's lawyer says he may post bond soon
* Chicago officer Jason Van Dyke posts bond, leaves jail

* Black pastors press Trump on his tone in closed-door meeting
* Source: FBI finds Burger King video not altered in Laquan McDonald case
* Brown: Voters can decide whether Alvarez has to go
* Ald. Harris quietly files to challenge Dorothy Brown
* A pair of young Blackhawks players made a trip to see Santa Claus
* Time for Blackhawks to shut down Jonathan Toews, the fighter
* Top-heavy Blackhawks still seeking a depth charge
* Cop who shot Laquan McDonald due back in court
* Cop charged in Laquan McDonald case bonds out of jail
* Is Anita Alvarez losing her Hispanic political base?

* Girl hurt in northwest Indiana shooting
* Cop in Laquan McDonald's shooting freed from jail on $150,000 bond
* Student with gun, ammunition arrested at Barrington High School
* 2 men, teen, wounded during shootings on West, Northwest, South Sides
* Coca-Cola workers authorize strike at plants in Niles, Alsip
* U.S. Senate, state's attorney's races take shape on last day of filing
* Man charged in threat at University of Chicago linked to Laquan McDonald shooting
* Man convicted in 1994 shooting seeks new trial
* Prosecutors: Alleged victim of cop assault unable to identify him
* Rauner, Madigan to meet, but little progress expected on state impasse

* Cities, counties demand action amid Illinois budget mess
* Kathleen Parker: The pathology of Trump-itis
* Judge orders Illinois to pay home health workers' insurance
* James Durkin: Compromise needed to restore Illinois' standing
* Bernard Schoenburg: Book on Blagojevich impeachment lets reader 'be right there'
* Andy Shaw: It's time to crack down on no-bid contracts
* 'Pot doctors' pushing boundaries in Illinois, other states
* Burger King manager: Police erased video of Chicago shooting
* Kristina Rasmussen: Relying on one another, not the government

* N-G Top 10: Boys' basketball (Dec. 1)
* Monday's highlights: SJ-O girls outlast Tuscola in OT
* Boys' basketball games, tourneys to watch this winter
* Illinois' bumpy November in review
* UI volleyball ranked 21st in final poll
* UPDATED: UI chancellor: 'We needed some stability'
* Cubit's squad could qualify for bowl
* Ballot Breakdown: Men's side sees shift
* Tate: Time to cut Groce some slack
* Three arrested, fourth sought, in burglary spree

* Ravens win as time expires on blocked field goal return
* Warriors win 19th straight, 106-103 over the Jazz
* District 15 critic Sriram resigns from board
* Noah still providing spark for Chicago Bulls
* Three charged in beating of man lured to Aurora for sex

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Tightening L-1 Rules in Grassley/Durbin Bi......

* Manchin, Kirk introduce bill targeting gov......

* Paying for incarceration? What stops demands for better accommodations?
* Maryville Vote Took Place Tonight, Results Tomorrow
* Chicago Winter Overnight Parking Ban Starts Tonight
* Officer In Laquan McDonald Shooting Released After Posting $1.5 Million Bail
* Judge: State Must Make Payments For Home Health Care Worker Insurance
* Obama's State Of The Union Address Set For January 12
* Politicians Join Call For Anita Alvarez To Resign As Laquan McDonald Case Unfolds
* Democrats make bid to take over Chicago Republican Party
* Michael Malatesta interviewed on NTNM
* 7th Subcircuit race getting crowded, other last-day filings

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact