*** UPDATED x2 *** Bill Luking

Friday, Jun 13, 2014

* From a press release…

Luking & Associates, LLC
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

It is with a heavy heart that Luking & Associates, LLC informs you that William H. Luking, president and founder of Luking & Associates, LLC passed away quietly yesterday afternoon.

Thank you for your thoughts & your friendship at this time. We have lost a friend, mentor, and colleague. The City of Chicago and the State of Illinois have lost a champion.

Arrangements are pending and will be announced when completed.

* People who didn’t know Bill would often comment on his disheveled appearance, but those who did know him constantly marveled at his brilliance. The guy read everything. He knew every legislative trick in the book. I was talking to a colleague of his this morning who said Bill once recited the state plumbing code from memory during a meeting.

Bill’s institutional memory would overload a computer. And now it’s gone. We are all the poorer for his loss, whether you knew him or not. The hole his death creates at the Statehouse is just unimaginable.

I tried to never miss a chance to talk to Bill when I saw him during session. He wouldn’t normally dish about stuff he was working on, but he would discuss what other people were up to, assess their chances, find their weak points, suggest a better route, give me some history, etc. He never wasted my time and I tried never to waste his.

Bill told me years ago that he once met Frank Sinatra and shook his hand. Bill was a young reporter in the hinterlands and Ol’ Blue Eyes came to town for a show. How freaking cool is that?

Many of us will forever be in Bill Luking’s debt. He was most definitely one of a kind. He was also a sweet and generous man.

I’m sure many of you have your own stories about Bill, so I’ll leave comments open. I’ll let you know about arrangements.

*** UPDATE 1 *** From Mayor Rahm Emanuel…

“Bill Luking dedicated himself to the law and the legislative process. His legend and legacy will be lasting. For nearly 30 years, Bill fought for Chicago and its people and was essential to every major legislative initiative passed on the City’s behalf. As a dean of the Illinois statehouse, Bill shared with others his passion for history and always made himself available to mentor young people learning their way around the halls of the state Capitol. On behalf of all of Chicago, thanks Bill.”

As far as I’m concerned Bill’s getting the Golden Horseshoe Award for Best Insider this year. Not gonna be a vote.

*** UPDATE 2 *** Senate President John Cullerton…

I am saddened to hear the news of Bill Luking’s death. He was among the first people to encourage me to run for office in 1976. He was a man of honor, with an incredible knowledge of the legislative process. For decades Bill used his considerable skills to tirelessly advance the interests of the City of Chicago. He will be greatly missed.

1. - RN - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:40 am:

One of the smartest people I have ever met and an incredibly open and sharing person. A great guy, very sad.

2. - Anon - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:46 am:

Bill was an incredibly kind man. He will be dearly missed.

3. - Linus - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:48 am:

An absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of What’s What and Who’s Who in Springfield, Chicago, and beyond. He could seem gruff on the exterior at times, but once you got to know him, you found a truly good guy. Rest in peace, Bill, and thanks for your kindnesses.

4. - 312 - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:49 am:

Bill was a great person. No detail was ever lost on him and nobody in the city or state could match his knowledge base. Rich nails it - this creates a huge hole. He will certainly be missed, always had time for me when I was just starting out and was always willing to share his incredible wisdom.

5. - Amalia - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:52 am:

How is it possible for one person to know more about any one thing that I was working on and that he was not? Because Bill Luking was an encyclopedia of the Legislative process, ongoing, and all encompassing. And a good friend.

6. - 47th Ward - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:53 am:

I loved Bill Luking and am so incredibly sad to hear of his passing. I was fortunate to work with him a few times in my career, and he taught me a great deal about Springfield and the business we’ve chosen. Rich, your words above are a great tribute.

Bill certainly had some demons and he paid a heavy price for his drinking over the years. But when he was on his game, nobody was better. He could listen to your issue for ten minutes and in his head he’d already have his roll call done. He’d tell you who you needed to win over. He was rarely wrong.

Rest in peace Bill Luking. You were one of a kind and the Capitol was a better place with you in it.

7. - Yipperdo - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:53 am:

My heart is heavy. I would tell my staff when I saw him do not judge that book by its cover, that is one of the true powerhouses of Illinois. Good bye my friend. I will miss the cigars, the bundles of newspapers but more than anything that wonderful smile.

8. - Al Grosboll - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:54 am:

Rich,

Bill Luking was a one-of-a-kind. He was an old-timer who knew the history about many issues and was able to put everything into perspective. Many years ago when I was working on the Chicago School Reform bill, many of Mayor Daley’s staff were freaking out; Bill stayed calm and polite and stayed in the game. He was a professional.

He was loyal to his city and represented them with all of his talents. Bill was also a gentleman who, even on a rushed day, would take time to talk. He was a great guy who will be missed.

9. - A guy... - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:55 am:

Maybe among the better testaments to why you (RM)are successful. You choose your friends wisely. Rest in Peace Mr. Luking. It’s my loss that we never met.

10. - Katiedid - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:56 am:

Not only was he an incredibly intelligent man who always knew the who/what/where/when/why of whatever issue he was working on (and many he wasn’t!), he was just a fundamentally good person. It never mattered if you were a first year intern or a 40-year lobbyist, Bill treated you with respect and kindness. The Capitol will be a lesser place without him.

11. - Lobo Y Olla - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:59 am:

I don’t know if I’ve ever made a faster friend than I did with Luking. I was new, way over my head, and completely clueless. I learned more about “making sausage” in 30 minutes over a sandwich from Moxo than I have before or since. (He’d simle at that…I used to tell him that’s all the knowledge my head could fit.)

A gentleman scholar in the finest tradition.

Rest well my friend.

12. - The Historian - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:00 am:

Geesh…I spoke with him just a few weeks ago and was so impressed with his erudition and breadth of knowledge–super-perceptive and savvy guy. So sorry to see this news.

13. - LizPhairTax - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:02 am:

A tremendous loss. The Capitol without Bill walking around just won’t be the same. His “coaching tree” speaks for itself. However the afterlife works, Bill is figuring out the players and angles right now.

14. - one of the 35 - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:04 am:

Bill never forgot your name. Probably the most effective and knowledgeable Illinois lobbyist ever. His word was always good.

15. - Vasyl - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:10 am:

Crap.

When I saw this news on the social media this morning, I kept hoping it was some sort of mistake.

In addition to echoing the above, I also learned something new by reading these comments. I always thought I was lucky that Bill would give me the time I needed, whether it was for an issue or just to chat.

I realize now that I wasn’t the only one. It’s pretty incredible that he was able to share his knowledge and person with so many people. And honestly, I knew he talked with a lot of people and that he was well respected. I really did not realize until now that he also made so many of us feel we were special to him.

What a crappy way to start the weekend.

16. - Lady - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:13 am:

How lucky I’ve been to call him friend and mentor. I will miss you Bill

17. - David Kolata - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:17 am:

Bill was truly one-of-a-kind and a great guy. I still remember a conversation we had years ago. There was a politically complicated energy issue and I asked him how he thought it would play out. He then proceeded to outline, as only Bill could, on the strategic options and what would occur, referencing similar dynamics back through history. And he was exactly right in the end! When I saw him he’d always ask: what do you know? The true answer was basically nothing next to Bill Luking. He will be missed.

18. - Rest in Peace, Bill - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:19 am:

The Capitol has lost its lion. He knew his issues, your issues, my issues, and who was likely to come out on top of all of them. Bill at 50% was still better than 99% of the rest of us. He was someone you hated seeing on the other side of the table and loved having on your side, but either way, when it was said and done, was still your friend. His knowledge was encyclopedic, his memory photographic, and he himself was priceless.

I’ve heard more stories than I can recount of people who were working on issues he wasn’t, where unsolicited, he would offer his advice, strategy, or ideas to help the cause. If Bill was your friend, he was your friend for life, and never was there a better ally to have.

Bill was perhaps the most influential person in my life after my mom, and between them, I learned more about the Capitol and lobbying than most will ever learn. I was lucky to have known him, and we’re all worse off for his loss.

19. - Joe McCoy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:20 am:

Hardly a day would pass without a fax (or two) from Bill showing up on my desk. I sometimes had difficulty deciphering his handwriting(!), but that lent some element of fun to the experience. Bill was always interested in ensuring that I had information that he thought I should know. I always appreciated his taking the time to do that. His depth of knowledge and mastery of detail can’t possibly be overstated. He was a master of his craft and many of us are fortunate to have benefited from his talents and expertise. Whenever Bill would call, or when I would come across him at the Statehouse, I knew to be prepared for the inevitable question…”what do you know?” I’m sure that this question was asked of many people. And anybody presented with that question was probably well-aware that Bill always knew a lot more than they did. I’m going to miss answering that question. Bill’s passing is a big loss for local government advocacy in Springfield. Even more so, we’ve lost a kind and decent friend.

20. - John Millner - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:28 am:

Bill’s calm demeanor, his sense of humor, institutional knowledge, willingness to share and mentor will be missed by so many of us. May he rest in peace while our fond memories of him live on.
    Godspeed…

21. - Sleep Tight My Friend - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:31 am:

The passing of an era.

Much love to my friend and mentor. Before your demons know your dead, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

We have all lost a friend and champion. Sleep tight sweet prince ….

22. - Give Me A Break - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:35 am:

What a loss. Rest in Peace my friend.

Bill would help anyone from the newest staffer to a Leader. His knowledge of the process will be hard to replace.

23. - Missing him already - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:37 am:

I rarely post here - and the above posts do him justice. But Bill was such a big part of my decades in the Capitol. He and I talked a lot of local government - and you won’t believe where he told me he used to put new language for the City - let’s just say he skipped the Municipal Code. Bill your absence in the Capitol will be felt bigtime.

24. - Levi voted for Judy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:37 am:

“Uncle Bill” was a mentor and sounding board for me. He taught me the ropes and was always there with advice on how to deal with Springfield issues. Plus, he was fun to hang around with. I will truly miss him.

25. - TwoFeetThick - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:38 am:

What a loss. When I was on staff when Bill came to see me I always made time. Even if he was the one looking for information, I always would come away knowing something I didn’t know. He was one of the few that you could really talk to. No BS, no need to sugar coat anything. I loved my conversations with him. Thinking about them makes me smile now.

“So, what do you know?”

God speed, Bill.

26. - Willie Stark - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:39 am:

Bill demonstrated in word and deed that lobbyists play a constructive and essential role in our governmental processes. The media stereotypes don’t allow room for someone like Bill to exist, but all who knew him, elected official, staffer and fellow lobbyists alike, benefited from his wisdom, knowledge and kindness. His gentlemanly erudition will be sorely missed. Requiescat in pace.

27. - Jak Tichenor - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:41 am:

What terrible news. Bill was one of the first people I met when I started covering the Statehouse back in the day. Marty McLaughlin (another Springfield mentor) introduced me to him in the lobby of the Mansionview. He told me that whatever Bill told you, you could take it to the bank. What an understatement! He knew everything and everyone in the building and he was unfailingly kind and generous with his expertise. When you got an “attaboy” from Bill, you were on top of the world. God bless you, Bill and may you rest in peace old friend.

28. - david starrett - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:46 am:

Bill was always my go-to guy when I needed to deal with the City, and I never had to explain anything to him. He always already knew who, what, when, where and why. He treated me with courtesy, grace, respect and a sense of humor even when I was a real clueless neophyte. His advice was always spot-on, and I’d often show-up to Norb Andy’s at around 10p just to get some of it. I’ll miss him mightily. Godspeed Bill.

29. - When I'm in the Thompson Center I eat at Arby's - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:52 am:

Sun-Times has a great picture of him and John Stroger in 1990

30. - When I'm in the Thompson Center I eat at Arby's - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 11:54 am:

Click here if the above link doesnt work

31. - Angela Ryan - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:00 pm:

My heart hurts. Bill and Matt were friends for decades. More than one night was spent at a bar in Chicago talking about ways to save the world… or at least Illinois. Always one to represent a good cause, I worked Bill while at the Chicago Botanic Garden and his wisdom and insight always amazed me. I will miss his random phone calls to check up on me.

I send loving thoughts out to those he always referred to as his closet friends.

32. - Mara - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:17 pm:

May Bill’s memory be eternal.

33. - Andy Raucci - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:21 pm:

Words are of little help in talking about Bill.

I’ve known him for nearly 40 years. I find it difficult to talk about him in the past tense.

He was a wonderful man who always shared his knowledge and advice without sounding like he thought he was smarter than anyone else. As others have said his humor, sagacity, historical knowledge and abilility surpass anyone else in the Capitol. I have learned so much from the hundreds of conversations that I had with him over the years. His observations were always pertinent and right on point.

While it has been said of others, it never was truer that God broke the mold when he created Bill.

I haven’t cried in a long time.

Rest in peace, my friend. The Capitol will not be the same.

34. - funny guy - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:35 pm:

One day in Springfield as we were making the rounds (my first time), Bill asked me if I had ever met then Senator Barack Obama. We went in his office and I gave my ten minutes on the issues and answered the Senator’s questions. Thanks Bill.

35. - Becky C - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:35 pm:

So much going through my head right now after some tears. One of the best human beings I’ve come to know. He was generous in sharing his vast knowledge of politics, law and policy. He was gracious and humble. I’m honored to call him my friend for nearly 20 years. He will be missed terribly. And, I hope he knew how much he was loved. Having a beer at the Boss Bar will never be the same…

36. - Chicago Publius - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:37 pm:

Bill Luking was a mentor and guide and friend to me for many many years, from the time I was a wide-eyed advocate for those who are poor, abused, and neglected, through my time working for government officials who want what they want now. What always struck me about Bill was that he never let his skepticism and cynicism in government affairs trump or trounce his willingness to point the way to people who were fighting for those who are poor and downtrodden. ‘I can’t help you with that,’ he would say when he had a conflict, but he wasn’t averse to following up with, ‘But have you thought of this?’ Bill was a true believer, and those of us who roam the corridors of power trying to find an open door for those who are less fortunate will miss him terribly — not only because he was so encouraging and wise, but because he often found a way to point us to at least one door that he had left casusally ajar. I feel sad that Bill, like many others, wasn’t able to find a way to treat a disease that is chronic and deadly if left untreated, and I will miss him terribly. As we say in Irish: Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam, Críost leat carad.

37. - Keyser Soze - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:40 pm:

Goodbye my friend

38. - John Dunn - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 12:55 pm:

Bill was a tremendous mentor and friend. I was lucky enough to work with him for eight years. He was brilliant; certainly one of the most intelligent, well-read people I have ever met. Photographic memory. Kind. Very, very funny. Absolutely dedicated to the City of Chicago. Knew more about Springfield - the players, the process, the history — than anybody. I will the faxes; the verbatim recitation of bills long passed; the “busy dumb” awards. The Bunker will never be the same. Miss you my friend.

39. - MKM - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:01 pm:

Bill took me under his wing in my first year as a lobbyist nearly 30 years ago. His institutional knowledge of Chicago and Springfield was fascinating and unrivaled. He always made sure I met the people I needed to meet and supported every endeavor I embarked upon – even when it was a long shot. From all of the comments it is clear Bill had lots of friends, I’m just glad to have been one of them. I will miss you!

40. - Dan Johnson - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

Thanks for sharing this very sad news.

I liked picking his brain on an esoteric aspect of public policy and appreciated his generosity at indulging me with his time.

Perhaps his many close friends might appreciate this anecdote: when I was in my late 20s I went to see a play downtown in a cool industrial space - kind of a hip thing - and in the audience with all these young people was Bill with his white beard! He was brilliant and effective but also a cool urban guy late in his life. I will miss him.

41. - DS - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

Bill didn’t just miraculously pull off the impossible high-profile, high-stakes projects. Tens of thousands of Illinoisans who have the misfortune to be elderly, sick, disabled, homeless, parent-less, jobless, victimized or struggling will never know what they owe Luking. He used his skill and his relationships to help their programs survive. So many of us owe him a debt we can never repay. He loved the world and every crazy thing that happened in it. I hope we can all make him proud of us. My old friend and irreplaceable teacher, Godspeed indeed.

42. - John Kamis - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

I can’t remember the last time I was this sad. RIP my reading buddy, mentor, and good friend. I am forever grateful for your friendship and all that you’ve taught me.

There will never be another like William H. Luking. The amount of good that he’s done for the residents of the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois is immeasurable… and should never be forgotten.

He is one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. I’m glad that I’ve been a part of his bunker family.

Thank you Rich for your kind words. They mean a lot. You may also want to post the nominations for Bill when he won the inaugural Golden Horseshoe for Best Lobbyist.

43. - veritas - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

R.I.P., Buddy.

44. - Great Caesar's Ghost - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 1:58 pm:

Once when I had a death in my family Bill sent a simple, poignant note that said only, “Words fail.” Those two words really ring true today.

45. - ChrisDunn - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

Bill’s friendship and his generosity to my wife Beth and me over almost 30 years was incredible. As he did for so many others, he “adopted” us and made a big difference in our lives. God bless you, Bill.

46. - E town - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 3:11 pm:

I will miss seeing Bill and talking just outside the basement in the capitol while he had a smoke. Bill not only had great legislative knowledge but also had terrific political instincts.

RIP Bill you will be sorely missed

47. - James - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 3:21 pm:

I’ll miss Bill, and his fountain pen.

48. - FOB - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 3:27 pm:

Of the many many things Mr. Luking taught me, I recall this most often -

There are four types of people in our world. First,the lazy smart. We like them because they are ok because they fund our campaigns. Second, the lazy dumb. They don’t bother us as long as they turn out on election day. Third, the busy smart. That’s us. The fourth is the busy dumb. I will never forget the the dark look that descended on his face when, for emphasis, he scowled, pointed, and growled, “Beware, BEWARE the busy dumb. They are everywhere!”

He was the smartest and busiest of all the busy smart. Godspeed.

49. - Amalia - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 3:29 pm:

Memories

50. - downstate hack - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:23 pm:

He was brilliant and a great guy…

51. - DGS - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 4:42 pm:

It was my privilege to know Bill for two decades. Earlier this year, he asked me to come down to Springfield to meet with a legislator regarding legislation that had an impact on my employer. Then, earlier this week, I got a hand-written thank-you note from him in the mail. That’s the kind of person he was; old school in the best sense. I will miss the faxes, also.

52. - KIE - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

When I first came to work at the Capitol, Bill was a mentor: he literally walked me to the library and helped me find all of the necessary books and docs for me to learn my job the right way. He took me under his wing, and told me to read every bill. Everyone knows his greeting: “Whadya know!” and you tried to come up with something, but the only thing you knew for sure was that he knew everything. He was kind and generous and his brilliance was stunning. Glad I got to talk to him one more time at the end of this session. I will miss him terribly.

53. - Walker - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 5:09 pm:

A gentleman and very smart. He traded in deep information and fair arguments, not influence or pressure.

He walked into my office for the first time, and said:

“You don’t need to know who sent me, do you?”

“This is more important than that.”

Had to laugh, and paid close attention.

54. - MG3 - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 6:05 pm:

Bill was a great man, a hard worker, a brilliant mind. He knew how to get things done and was always kind and humble to everyone. He knew who the dumb and stupid were and always tried to please his bosses even when their were wrong. I was lucky enough to have worked with him twice in my Springfield life. He saved me a few times and we had a bit of fun causing a little bit of chaos in 2013. I will be grateful for your help, friendship and guidance back in the early 2000s and back last year! Thank you Bill, you are indeed a great man.

55. - T - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 7:22 pm:

God Bless Bill! You were and will always be what God wants from each of us, a human being. Not without fault, but without malice. A model for us all.

56. - Roger Huebner - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 8:55 pm:

What a loss for Illinois and Chicago . Worked with Bill 27 years learned something every conversation …. what a mind …what a wonder ….what a tremendous decent human being. Bill remember St. Peter will love your questions .

57. - Anon - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:23 pm:

I can hear his voice now when he would pick up the bat phone down in his Capitol Office bunker … “Luking here ….”

58. - Sad - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:40 pm:

of Bill’s passing. He was the smartest man under the dome. Loved to listen to him talk about “how to get the job done” regardless of what it was. A walking dictionary of politics and humorous to boot. I’ll miss my friend.

59. - Harley - Friday, Jun 13, 14 @ 10:44 pm:

My first experience with bill was in the early 1990s when I worked at the old DCCA. While working with the General Assembly at IDOT and the Illinois Municipal League our paths crossed many times. I will miss the faxes that had been sent in the wee hours and the joy of trying to decipher what he wrote. I will miss running into him and asking what do you know. I always chuckled inside knowing that a guy who represented one of the largest cities in the world was always asking what was going on. I saved an atta boy by fax of course from Bill on an issue that I stuck my neck out on for local governments and am happy I kept it. Finally, he reminded me of my late father and am glad I shared that observation with Bill. A real character among characters. He will be missed.

60. - Rich L - Saturday, Jun 14, 14 @ 12:01 am:

Bill was both brilliant and kind. Many years ago, when we both worked in the Capitol, he learned that I had been diagnosed with a chronic illness. Although he was unbelievably busy at the time, he stopped by my office to tell me everything he knew about the disease, and gave me advice on dealing with it. We worked with each other for another 25 years, often communicating by fax. I would so much like to get one more fax from him!
    So many of us have lost a friend and mentor.

61. - Someone - Saturday, Jun 14, 14 @ 1:50 am:

Bill was one who offered to help and truly meant it. His knowledge and honesty will truly be missed…

62. - Working night and day... - Saturday, Jun 14, 14 @ 9:00 am:

We have lost a truly masterful and kind friend. Like everyone who knew him, I too was always awed by the depth and strength of Bill’s grasp of the details and issues. However, my fondest memories will always be of the times he’d plunk down his pile of papers and files, sit down, order his drink, turn to me and say “So, what are you working on?”. I never worked on anything nearly as important as what he had among his pile of papers, but he always made me feel as if I was. Rest and peace my friend.

63. - Anon - Sunday, Jun 15, 14 @ 2:11 pm:

I was so sad to hear of Bill’s passing for many reasons, one of which is that the City of Chicago has truly lost one its best minds, most important champions and most valuable mentors, and another of which is that it has been almost two years since Bill and I last spoke — my huge loss, not his. I was fortunate to meet Bill early in my career and I learned many important life lessons from him that impact me today, even though I no longer work in government or politics. As many here have noted, he was the real deal — beyond intelligent, kind, trustworthy, dedicated, fun and more. In the many years since I first met him, I have to yet to meet anyone who even comes close to him.

64. - progressives1932 - Sunday, Jun 15, 14 @ 5:03 pm:

Luking loved the legislative process as much as his friend and early mentor, Dawn Clark Netsch. They are probably talking “shop” right now in Heaven.

65. - Harry - Monday, Jun 16, 14 @ 1:18 am:

Simply, the best. In every way.

66. - garage door paint colors - Monday, Jun 16, 14 @ 10:41 am:

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
    I have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out
    loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different customers like its aided me.
    Good job.

67. - bill mcguffage - Monday, Jun 16, 14 @ 3:18 pm:

what a sad loss.bill luking was a human encyclopedia of legal and legislative knowledge.his advice and counsel were invaluable to me years ago when i worked the legislature for the attorney general.bill will be sorely missed in the capital and by all who were fortunate to know him.

68. - Patrick Ertel - Monday, Jun 16, 14 @ 8:47 pm:

My classmate at ND and in law school at Northwestern. One of the most brilliant and finest people I have ever known. Thank you Bill for gracing all of us with your presence, intelligence, integrity and good humor. You will be missed by many.

69. - Sugar Substitute - Thursday, Jun 19, 14 @ 11:29 am:

Rest in Peace, Friend- thank you for your guidance and especially for all the great stories. I’m lucky to know you.

70. - Lisa - Thursday, Jun 19, 14 @ 9:54 pm:

Everything about Bill was memorable: every recitation of roll call,every raised eyebrow, every annoyed pause, every sarcastic fax…you can’t say that about many people.

You will be missed, Lu King.

* Today's number: 10 percent
* Unclear on the concept
* Could be a big day
* Illinois leaders react to Obama's immigration order
* TrackBill – An Introduction
* Caption contest!

* Nokia N1, Samsung Gear S, Gorilla Glass 4 and more! | Pocketnow Weekly 123
        * Amazon Fire users get exclusive Washington Post app access
        * Photo-Sharing App Memoir Snags $5.5 Million To Help You Recall The Past
        * AT&T recalling Nexus 6 hardware from its stores
        * Android 5.0 encryption brings storage performance issues
        * BrandPost: Today's Hot Deals: HP Tablet for $99, Samsung HDTV for $247.99, and more
        * Shop ‘til you drop on Black Friday with Lumia and these Windows Phone apps

* Code/red: Aereo’s Plan B? Bankruptcy.
        * Why Streaming (Done Right) Will Save the Music Business
        * Why You Can't Trust Wine Point Reviews
        * Charge Everything Under the Sun, Upgrade Your Knives, and More Deals
        * From Messenger to Slingshot to Paper to Rooms: How successful are Facebook’s new apps?
        * Why Is San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee at Hipstamatic’s House Party?
        * Beware of H2O: Scientific Side Effects Water Bottle

* Nine things about White Sox waiver claim Onelki Garcia
        * Sox add five to 40-man roster, DFA Ronald Belisario, outright Jared...
        * Sox protect four from Rule 5 Draft
        * White Sox Charities continue to make positive impact
        * Ranking the top 25 prospects from the Arizona Fall League
        * The White Sox' hot stove rumors keep on growing
        * Saladino brings singular focus to recovery