* After initially casting petulant aspersions on the US Department of Justice’s request to delay testimony by subpoenaed witnesses before the Legislative Audit Commission, today’s editorial says the Commission should abide by the request…
Lawmakers have little choice now but to abide by the U.S. attorney’s request that they don’t conduct interviews. If they pursue this, their subjects are just going to refuse. Federal prosecutors have not, though, tried to curb the lawmakers’ investigation of documents related to the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative.
* Now, let’s look back at this excerpt of a June 4th Trib editorial…
Quinn wants Rauner to issue an austere budget plan so Quinn’s plan isn’t the only politically perilous one on voters’ radar.
Rauner plainly sees no reason to oblige for now. He’s surely relishing last week’s projection by the political numbers geeks at FiveThirtyEight.com: Early polling suggests that Quinn has a 25 percent chance of winning — and a 75 percent chance of losing — on Nov. 4. Of all the states with elections for governor this year, only Pennsylvania now has a higher likelihood than Illinois of switching parties.
Rauner will have to get more specific about his spending priorities. Voters aren’t paying much attention in June to an election to be held in November. But come fall, if Rauner doesn’t get into the dirty details, he’s going to invite comparisons to 1968 and Richard Nixon’s so-called secret plan to get the nation out of the Vietnam War.
* From an editorial this week…
At arguably the worst moment in Illinois’ two centuries of statehood, Quinn has signed a fictional state budget for the current fiscal year; Rauner offers no prospective budget at all, only talking points. Both of them are failing the people of Illinois.
Ask yourself: What, other than stern platitudes, has Quinn told you he would do differently to revive Illinois, its government and its nationally high unemployment rate? Instead, Quinn’s campaign is focused on shrill attacks on his opponent rather than a case for giving Quinn yet another chance to … do what else?
And ask yourself: What has Rauner told you he will do to broadly reconfigure state government, its financial obligations and the retirement systems that strangle its spending on other priorities? Rauner’s campaign so far has been a thin gruel of “Elect me — I’ll think of something” and “The failed incumbent is too weak to manhandle the other Democrats who run this state.”