Question of the day

Friday, Aug 29, 2014

* From the Oberweis campaign…

During his 32 years in Washington, Dick Durbin has jumped in front of every TV camera in production. So why is he shy about doing televised debates against Jim Oberweis?

Durbin has agreed to only one Chicago televised debate.

Here are some possible reasons he suddenly is allergic to TV cameras:

1) He infamously lied about Obamacare.

2) Then, he did it again.

3) His policies have devastated Illinois families. Since he last ran re-election, a typical Illinois family is making $5,053 less money in annual income.

4) He pays women staffers $11,000 less than men in his Senate office.

5) He asked the Internal Revenue Service to scrutinize a conservative organization on the eve of the 2010 congressional election and in the midst of illegal targeting of conservatives by the IRS.

6) He refuses to release any other correspondence he had with the IRS during the IRS scandal.

7) He tried to intimidate conservative donors in what the Chicago Tribune editorial described as “Durbin’s enemies list.”

8) He publicly repeated a false story about a Republican leader being rude to the President.

9) He refuses to return $38,550 in campaign contributions linked to one of the most infamous sexual harassment firms in U.S. history.

10) He has said nothing about $4-a-gallon gas prices after spending years haranguing about the issue when prices were lower under a Republican president.

Before we begin, I strongly encourage you to vote and comment quickly because I’m probably shutting down early today ahead of the Labor Day weekend.

* The Question: How many televised debates do you believe Sen. Durbin should agree to? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

survey software

1. - Been There - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:45 pm:

3 is enough. I couldn’t take watching the milk man more than once or twice anyway. I actually think Obie would be better off not debating. Durbin has a whole arsenal of stuff to zing him with.

2. - Oswego Willy - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:46 pm:

Voted “3″,

One by Phil Ponce and WTTW, at a table, discussion style for Chicago market

One in Springfield, traditional podium/panel style.

One in Metro East, town hall, one moderator, half Q & A with moderator, half questions from the audience. No podiums, stool and water!

3. - William j Kelly - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:49 pm:

Oberwaste’s issues against durbin will lack any credibility unless he denounces Rauner’s armed voter intimidation tactics.

4. - Anyone Remember - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:50 pm:

The same number Rauner agrees to (presently 3?).

5. - Wally - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:53 pm:

@Been There, and JO clearly has a WHOLE lot of things to zing DD. And the “molkman” as you like to call him, earned his money. How did DD become a millionaire?

Go with 3, that is reasonable, and should show the voters plenty.

6. - Norseman - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 12:58 pm:

I waffled between 2 and 3. Settled on 2 because I really don’t want to see more of Oberweis than I have to.

7. - Responsa - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:02 pm:

I think one in Chicago with local media asking regionally relevant questions. One somewhere in Central Il with local media focusing on questions most relevant to that geographic constituency and one in Southern IL with local media focusing on issues there. The national stuff from both candidates is easier to get from other sources.

8. - East Central Illinois - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:03 pm:

Zero, . . . Who really wants to listen to these two yap at each other?

9. - OneMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:03 pm:

I can’t believe I am going to type this, but I don’t think debating Jim is going to do Durbin any favors. In fact I think the more he debates Jim, the worse he is going to do.

10. - VM - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:05 pm:

Voted for 2. I figure that’s about all the entertainment value that we can wring out of the debates.

To paraphrase from a different context, every gaffe Oberweis can say he’ll say in one debate. Don’t worry if you missed it, he’ll just repeat it in the second one.

11. - Downstate GOP Faithless - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:11 pm:

I have always believed all the statewide should do 2 at a minimum, wishing it were a requirement. Ideally though 3…Chicago, Springfield, and Southern Illinois. beyond that, play politics with how many, but 2-3 should be a statutory requirement in my wish list

12. - Demoralized - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

I’d debate Oberweis all day long if these are the kinds of dopey things he’s going to raise. Durbin could talk circles around the guy.

13. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Durbin should have enough so there is nothing left of Oberweis.

14. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

oh sorry, that means 1.

15. - VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:19 pm:

I even know how Durbin can win it without speaking.

Let Oberweis go first and when it is time for the first response, just stand there like that Indian chief, frozen faced and let one single tear roll down his face.

Senator Dick is so awesome when he cries!

16. - 47th Ward - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:21 pm:

I voted more than 5. They should do this weekly in prime time if anyone would broadcast it.

“Never interrupt your opponent when he’s making a fool of himself.”

The more Oberweis talks, the fewer votes he’ll get. He’s like a rich, white Alan Keyes, but without the charisma.

17. - Steve - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

2 debates. But, I wouldn’t be shocked if there are none. Dick Durbin is an arrogant elitist who doesn’t want to debate. Most of Illinois could care less, they are going to vote for tricky Dick Durbin.

18. - wordslinger - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

Outside of PBS, I’m surprised any broadcast station is actually willing to put one on.

Put me down for three — Chicago, Springfield, Carbodale — followed by a mighty “who cares.”

19. - Willie Stark - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

I’m sorry, but likening Dick Durbin to “Dick Nixon” - most of us who didn’t know him personally call him Richard Nixon, but whatever - is bonkers. Obie inhabits his own, very strange, world. He’s not a credible candidate, and hasn’t operated his campaign as a credible candidate. Notice how anemic his spending is? Why should Durbin take him seriously? Just because the GOP nominated him and has failed to rally around and support him?

20. - Anonymous - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

- Demoralized - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

- VanillaMan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:16 pm:

Durbin should have enough so there is nothing left of Oberweis.

Durbin is not any better. I am writing in a candidate because I will NEVER vote for Durbin. He is the worst. I don’t like Oberweis either.

I might hold my nose and vote for Quinn but NEVER Durbin.

21. - A guy... - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:37 pm:

3 sounds like the right number to me as well. Depending on who the moderators are, they could be helpful to a lot of voters.

22. - Anonymous - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Durbin is no better then Oberweis. Durbin has said tons and tons of dopey and offensive things.

I don’t like Oberweis either.

23. - Sue - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

I hope one of the questions is “Sen Durbin- if the Dems lose the majority will you serve out your term?”

24. - Downstate - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:40 pm:

Senator Durbin will win all five of the debates I recommend that he do … and he can use some of his time to help define Rauner and thereby help the Quinn Campaign …

25. - Eloise - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

Just as many as Rahm is going to do with bi polar Bill Kelly ZERO!

26. - Gooner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

Although I believe there is a good chance that in a debate Obie will make more ridiculous claims, helping to drag the whole GOP ticket down, I voted zero.

Durbin is up. There is no reason for the guy with the lead to debate. Obie knew that from the primary. I would be conservative and ignore the requests.

27. - wordslinger - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

–Also, Durbin is dishonest and will do anything for power. This is why he has changed his position on many major issues over the years. He is NO credibility and NO character and NO morals and/or ethics and NO principles and NO believes other then the worship of his own power.

I don’t like Oberweis either.–

Bet you’re fun at parties, lol.

28. - MrJM - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:53 pm:

I voted for three because four seemed too many and two seemed too few. (What can I say, I’m a deep thinker.)

– MrJM

29. - ZC - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Normally three, but deduct one for Oberweis’s recent GOP primary hypocrisy on this topic (”What? Me debate?”) Deducting one is an inducement for future GOP challengers to actually practice what they preach.

30. - Anon - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 1:58 pm:

3 is a good number. Everyone has an “off day” - 3 debates gives them a good chance to show their stuff.

31. - Stones - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:02 pm:

I voted 0. He has more to lose than to win in a debate. Why give your opponent free publicity?

32. - Cook County Commoner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:03 pm:

I voted “0.” I don’t care for political debates of any sort unless there is a panel of experts backed up by a super computer capable of fact checking on a split screen in real time as to assertions made by each candidate with citations to written materials for future reference.
    I’m interested in a candidates capacity to govern , which a debate doesn’t provide, in my view.
    I’d prefer in-depth, at least an hour, interviews of one candidate by a panel.

33. - Anon - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:22 pm:

One televised debate is 100% more than Oberweis agreed to with his last opponent. It’s extremely hypocritical for Oberweis to demand 600% more than he agreed to when he had a lead in the primary.

34. - Modest proposal - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

This seems like it is directed at the base. The words Conservative and Republican appear which is interesting because politicians from both sides of the aisle are dropping the political affiliation from their campaign materials. In a blue state he should be capturing indepndents and moderate Dems. Maybe I just think semantics are too important.

35. - Southpaw - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

Voted 2. Since I only get over the air tv I probably won’t see it anyway. Since they’re both politicians it won’t matter because their lips will be moving and everyone will know. If I were Oberweis, I would ask Durbin is there has been one thing that Obama has asked him to vote for that he hasn’t. Pretty well sums it up.

36. - bored now - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:43 pm:

i said 3. that’s a good fair number of debates…

37. - Belle - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:50 pm:

1-Since hardly anyone would watch no matter who was debating for Senator. It’s just not that interesting to most people.

38. - dupage dan - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

I’m w/47th, only for the other side. The more I see of Durbin, the more I despise him. Sadly, I think I do not represent the majority of voters. Now, if we could just get Oberweis to wear a mask and not show up.

39. - Formerpol - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

None. Who in their right mind would watch this???

40. - Living in Machiaville - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

Voted more than 5. Candiates running for an office of such import deserve exposure in all parts of the state, preferrably live and televised. Their strengths and weaknesses should be put on full view.

41. - Robert the Bruce - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

3. And that should be the general standard for senate and governor races.

42. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

Part of me says three, or as many as Bruce Rauner will agree to.

Part of me says having Oberweis on TV every day would be a godsend.

43. - Archiesmom - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:35 pm:

None. Guy in front doesn’t need it, plus Durbin has all the cash in the world to take him out in ads (if Rauner leaves any ad time available).

44. - Count Floyd - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

Does anyone remember when Durbin said that Anita flipping Alavarez deserved a look for the Supreme Court of the United flipping States?!?

Snark aside I am amazed that there appears to be no political cost for such an amazingly stupid, pandering recommendation.

45. - outta dodge - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

He should addmit that he has long ago outlived his usefullness to the citizens of Illinois and go join his buddy on the golf course is

46. - Wensicia - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 3:58 pm:

Two is enough, I doubt the interest is there for more.

47. - Gooner - Friday, Aug 29, 14 @ 4:13 pm:

Some of the comments here regarding Durbin seem to go far beyond disagreeing with his policy.

There seems to be a lot of hatred expressed.

That’s interesting because of the elected officials I’ve known, Sen. Durbin is one of the most down to earth and nicest people I’ve met.

It would be nice if a few of you would step back and realize we are talking about an actual person, and treat him as such. Those comments say far more about the character of those making the comments than about the Senator.

* Here we go...
* Kirk's confidence
* Unclear on the concept; And pot, meet kettle
* *** UPDATED x2 *** The supreme power of video
* More lip service
* A union overreach?
* Duckworth fires back against Zopp for "cheap political" shot
* Republicans side with unions in court case
* Rauner pushes Gaming Board to back off fantasy sports site issue

* White Sox acquire Kahnle in deal with Rockies
* KBO's Jae-gyun Hwang can be posted after all
* White Sox Charities all about opportunities
* White Sox add Aaron Rowand to minor-league development staff
* White Sox tab Rowand as Minors instructor
* White Sox tab Rowand as Minors instructor

* State leaders search for emergency financing - .....
* No takers yet on Rauner-backed loans to local g.....
* Rauner pursues legal options to keep Syrian ref.....
* Rauner dishes out first corporate tax breaks un.....

* N. Illinois University removes Bibles from campus hotel
* Bridge connecting St. Louis, East St. Louis set to reopen
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Convictions upheld for man guilty of killing 5 in family
* Congressional hopeful rejected by GOP in '14 running again
* Judge rejects reinstating murder charges against mother
* EXCHANGE: Freeport historian pens second novel
* Excerpts from recent editorials by newspapers in Illinois
* Collinsville officials approve residential chicken ordinance
* Police offer tips to avoid pickpockets, other thieves

* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion
* Candidates begin filing petitions for March primary election
* Benton circulating petitions to challenge McCann in GOP primary
* Rauner administration says House Democrats holding local aid hostage
* Rauner says White House promises to answer refugee queries
* More honors for Auburn woman who saved man from train

* Release of police-shooting video ignites street protests
* Now arriving at O'Hare and Midway: Uber
* Illinois, you haven't touched bottom yet
* Chicago struggles to auction off taxi medallions
* The maker of Beanie Babies is about to air its first-ever TV ad

* Mihalopoulos: Laquan McDonald video could define state’s attorney’s race
* Patrick Kane’s point streak nearing historic levels
* Uber cleared to serve O’Hare, Midway airports
* McCarthy: “Nonsense” to claim his firing of Dante Servin was politically timed
* Quickie quiz: Only player to score goal at United Center, Soldier Field and Wrigley Field?
* Black Caucus chairman: What took Alvarez so long to file charges?
* Veljko Paunovic announced as new Fire coach
* Blackhawks unveil Stadium Series uniforms
* Supt. McCarthy: Off-duty officer who killed Rekia Boyd should be fired
* Blackhawks will unveil their Stadium Series jerseys Tuesday

* Community reacts to release of video in Laquan McDonald case
* Chicago releases dash-cam video of fatal shooting after charging cop with murder
* 1 shot in South Shore
* Trial set for Chicago man in slaying of Bensenville store clerk
* Ex-Highland Park teacher gets 4 years in prison for child porn
* City Hall set to release Laquan McDonald shooting video
* Most of Chicago police force ordered into uniform as city prepares for video release
* Northern Illinois University removes Bibles from campus hotel after complaint

* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Kathleen Parker: Crazy is as crazy does
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion
* Candidates begin filing petitions for March primary election
* Rauner administration says House Democrats holding local aid hostage
* Rauner says White House promises to answer refugee queries

* LIVE! Tennessee State
* UPDATE: Chicago braces for backlash after video's release
* Ludlow woman wins $46,100
* Danville Housing Authority evicts 10-year director, plots new direction
* SportsTalk 11-24-15
* PODCAST: Marching Illini Director Barry Houser from New York City
* Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State
* Obama honoring Streisand, Spielberg, Sondheim and more
* Judge gives felon chance with probation
* Rantoul 'institution' for sale

* Video shows Chicago cop shooting teen after he had fallen
* Naperville cutting capital spending by $2.7 million
* Cook County suburbs tally $244 Million in legal fees
* Illinois considering offering SAT to high school juniors
* U-46 seeks to spark interest for 2016 STEM expo

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin, Murphy, Blumenthal, and 21 Other S......
* Durbin slams GOP efforts to keep Syrian wa......

* Kirk co-authors Government Transformation ......
* Mark Kirk op-ed: We've already let terrori......

* Tuesday filing, unfiling update
* Mid-century modern homes in Chatham
* Watch the Organization
* Kinney, Alonzo take part in recognition ceremony in San Diego
* Uptown United's Having A Party (But You Need To RSVP)
* Register for GRI by Nov. 25!
* Advocates Meet With Rauner's Office, Call For Acceptance Of Syrian Refugees
* Contested races setting up in several subcircuit races
* Police Officer in Laquan McDonald Shooting Death Charged With First-Degree Murder
* Tyson Foods to close Chicago plant in 2016

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact