*** UPDATED x1 - RNCC response *** DCCC runs first ad attacking Bost

Thursday, Sep 4, 2014

* The DCCC is using clips from the infamous video of Rep. Mike Blost blowing up on the House floor against him. Pretty effective, if you ask me

* Script…

Bost: These damn bills that come out of here all the damn time…

Announcer: Mike Bost keeps melting down in Springfield

Bost: … you should be ashamed of yourselves. I’m sick of it.

Announcer: Now Bost wants to be in Congress.

Bost: Enough! I feel like somebody trying to be released from Egypt. Let my people go!

Announcer: He’d make Washington … worse.

*** UPDATE *** RNCC response…

Nancy Pelosi’s campaign arm, the DCCC, is up on TV today with a new ad highlighting Mike Bost’s dedicated service to his constituents. As most Southern Illinois families know, Springfield is a disaster and under the Quinn-Madigan machine, folks are suffering. Thankfully, Mike Bost has been a leader in Springfield and has stood up to the Democratic cronies who try to push large tax hikes and bills that are bad for the state through with zero transparency.

Bost said enough is enough. Hopefully the DCCC will continue to run these ads which highlight Bost’s dedication and hard work.

NRCC Statement: “You can tell this TV ad was made by folks in DC who are out-of-touch with what’s really happening in Southern Illinois. While Nancy Pelosi may think Mike Bost’s dedicated service is strange, the families that have continued to vote for him throughout the years appreciate his passion and efforts to keep Pat Quinn’s toxic agenda out of Southern Illinois.” – Katie Prill, NRCC Spokeswoman

1. - Stones - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

Agreed. Effective ad. It makes him look like a lunatic. Reminds me of some of Leroy Lemke’s Senate blow-up’s back in the day.

2. - Ducky LaMoore - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:09 am:

Let my people go! I’m laughing so hard I can barely type.

3. - Watchdog - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:11 am:

I say he matches the level of frustration most Illinoisans are feeling. The out of touch DCCC comes off is really tone deaf here. Essentially half of what we earn is going to government and people don’t see that cash going back to them. A horrible job market, crushing debts and a culture of corruption. Democrats have ruined this state.

4. - Apocalypse Now - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:13 am:

5. - So. ILL - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:13 am:

This is about the best political ad I’ve ever seen. I’m still voting for Bost though. I’ll take a Bill Black type fighting the insanity put forward by Democrats in this state and country over a self important liberal like Enyart any day.

6. - Belle - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:14 am:

Agree. It could backfire.

If you’re going to freak-out in public, you may as well go big. It’s a good show.

7. - Jimmy Baseball - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:14 am:

Is there any chance this backfires? He definitely looks like he’s nuts, but I think a lot of people are angry right now and would be glad to see their local State Rep./Congressman throwing a fit about the mess we’re in.

8. - John A Logan - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:15 am:

I think the ad is well produced. However I am not certain this is going to move any numbers. People are fed up and anti incumbent feelings are prevalent. Some might say that they would prefer to have someone willing to “meltdown” from time to time if it means they are fighting for the district.

9. - Amalia - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:17 am:

he appears to be an idiot. keep at that narrative. it’s a great ad.

10. - 4 percent - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:18 am:

I think they threw a fastball down the middle and all Mike needs to do is swing. Very easy to take a clip show it and have Mike sitting by a TV with an explanation.

11. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:24 am:

===This may backfire on the Dems. Voters are tired of Washington politicians and may just view this, as the type of person needed once in awhile in Washington.===

Dear goodness gracious.

The vacuum that some live in.

This isn’t a cookie-cutter Ad, insert name, “they are bad!”. This is a video of a tantrum. Remember Howard Dean? That was cheering. I am sure the DCCC did polling on how voters feel about gridlock and seeming like a problem in Springfield/Washington DC.

It really good. Will it resonate? I don’t know. I do know, it won’t backfire, the fallout of this type of Ad will be in complete proportion to how Bost counters or mutes the discussion.

“A-, B+”

12. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:26 am:

===“If you’re like me, you’re sick and tired of political games. I’m not going to be silenced and I’m tried of southern Illinois being ignored. I’d like to ask for your vote because I’m going to stand up for you.”===

With respect, I don’t know if you put the Principle on front if the camera specifically saying, “With me, you will be getting ‘the crazy’ I bring…”

Needs to be muted, not expanded.

13. - Old Shepherd - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:33 am:

“Sell crazy someplace else, we’re all stocked up here.”

14. - Wally - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:34 am:

4 Percent is right, In So. Illinois this ad will backfire, and Bost could do the ad with “I will be passionate and fight for your needs.”

15. - Backfire - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:37 am:

This will definitely backfire, as long as the Bost team is ready for it. And there is no way they aren’t. They had to see this coming and have to be ready for it. The reality is that a lot of people are fed up with their government. If the Bost team can put this in context and show that he was just frustrated with being unable to represent his people, they can turn this into a huge positive. The deems have already tried to use this ad twice before and it’s backfired on them. Not sure why they think it will be different this time.

16. - Anon - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:42 am:

It’s the NRCC. There is no RNCC. Come on.

17. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:46 am:

If this ad ran for a candidate in my district - I would definitely vote for him.

Bost represents how voters are feeling towards our governments.

Talk about not knowing how voters feel, gee-whiz DCCC - you guys are clueless!

18. - The Historian - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:49 am:

I’m wondering if that bar they show is actually in Illinois, or in say suburban D.C……

19. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 9:49 am:

In this environment with Quinn’s numbers in that district, this can easily be managed.

Handled correctly, (Sometimes my emotions get the best of me, but it’s only because I’m so passionate about southern Illinois and how it’s been getting the short end of the stick under Rod Blagojevich and Pat Quinn.) this can be a plus.

20. - Madison - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:01 am:

This ad demonstrates exactly how out of touch the Washington Democrats are. they just don’t get it. if you were sitting on the fence, with economic and political conditions in Southern Illinois they way they are today?
    Washington needs more, not less, Mike Bosts.

21. - wordslinger - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:03 am:

I don’t think a raving lunatic is what independents and the undecided are looking for.

Look how Dold and Davis are trying to move beyond the bsse; by portraying themselves as reasonable and independent, not a partisan screamer.

22. - Louis G Atsaves - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:06 am:

Bost angrily blows up over politics as usual in the Springfield House of Representatives, and this is a negative? Or is it a positive showing that he is a fighter, not an enabler of politics as usual. Does Bost’s anger actually tap into the anger voters feel over their state government right now? I get a different impression here.

Vote for me so I can gladly blend into the status quo in Washington doesn’t seem to be very effective in terms of a message. I agree with some other commentators here, the DCCC is out of touch on this one.

23. - frustrated GOP - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:09 am:

Let’s remember how he got elected the first time. He emptied his shotgun into a pitbull that mauled his little girl and asked for a jury trial, stated he did it and would again. He was acquitted. That got him elected.

Yeah, again I love the silly out of district people who don’t do any homework. I would run a list of things he was upset about and say these are what I am fighting for and the reason I raised my voice and it’s the same voice I’ll take to Washington. Should give him a few more points in the polls.

24. - Responsa - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:09 am:

Wow. So many of the ads from both camps this year seem to be focusing on the parties’ already decideds without understanding or comprehending how their ads look to undecideds and independents who may in fact have very different “goals” for their representative than the national party does. This is one of those ads I think. A lot of sane people in Il are really angry and fed up, too.

That said, I don’t think too much of the NRCC response either.

25. - Empty Suit - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:10 am:

In this day of “we hate all politicians” I say this helps Bost. He is displaying the anger that most feel and can relate to. When this hit the first time the overwhelming response was “good for him.” They better find another issue.

26. - Not a lawyer - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:14 am:

Is the DCCC legally allowed to use Illinois House Floor speeches? I believe House Ethics prevents footage for political ads from the U.S. House floor, but I don’t know if there are the same restrictions for the IL House.

27. - Yep - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:19 am:

I like the DCCC’s tie in of the immature tantrum being a sign that Bost could get nothing done in D.C. I think this ad could be devastating against Bost; if people in So IL weren’t so sick of D.C. and Springfield. I agree that the real effect of the ad won’t be known until we see what Bost’s response is–if any. If he takes on the populist “I sometimes get too passionate, but I’ve had it with the same old same old in D.C. and Springfield. With me you know what you get..a fighter for my constituents” it could backfire. I give it an A- for now with a possible downgrade depending on Bosts’s and the RNCC’s response.

28. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:30 am:

Ha. The NRCC mentioned Nancy Pelosi almost as many times as Mike Bost.
    I think the Ad will blow up like a sack of Missouri fireworks. People these days want someone fighting for them, even if they might be a bit craycray.
    F.

29. - Knome Sane - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:34 am:

=Bost angrily blows up over politics as usual in the Springfield House of Representatives, and this is a negative?=

@Louis Atsaves, the lengths some people will go to defend their candidates is mind-boggling. This is a 30-second ad in a heated Congressional race. What you left out are a few facts:

1) Most people have no idea as to the context of Mike Bost’s tirade, through this ad they will only see a candidate for office losing his shi…er, stuff on the House floor.

2) The RNCC response neither will be seen nor read by anyone in the district, present company excluded.

3) This is a powerful ad provided there are enough points behind it.

30. - Mittuns - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:35 am:

The last thing Congress needs is another know-nothing blowhard. Gridlock has gotten us nowhere. If this ad “backfires,” I weep for Southern Illinois.

31. - Tom Joad - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:37 am:

I think there is a big difference between being passionate on an issue and and just going into an uncontrolled rant. Undecided voters are the weather vane as to the effect of this ad. Voters who see this ad won’t have a positive view of an inarticulate long time legislator who just yells instead of stating what he wants to get done. He doesn’t sound like a “fighter for his district” he sounds like a nut.

32. - Judge Cooked - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:37 am:

Every dollar the DCCC uses on this ad is ad spent to elect Mike Bost to Congress. Tone-deaf is an underestimation of the hostility to DC that people in this district feel.

33. - Knome Sane - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:39 am:

=Every dollar the DCCC uses on this ad is ad spent to elect Mike Bost to Congress.=

That is simply wishful thinking. This is a powerful ad. And I think you know it.

34. - Amalia - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:39 am:

this is not an isolated appearance of rant. there was an entire reel of rant. more will appear.

35. - olddog - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:44 am:

=== Nancy Pelosi’s campaign arm, the DCCC, is up on TV today … ===

Who’s this Nancy Pelosi? The only Nancy Pelosi I know of has nothing to do with southern Illinois, so it can’t be her.

36. - walker - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:50 am:

In Bost’s case, this was a fully rehearsed rant, entirely for the cameras, tested with different props, and not unusual for him. He laughed immediately afterwards.

To his credit, he wasn’t out of control in any way.

Not to his credit was that this was simply a show for effect.

37. - downstate hack - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:50 am:

“This may backfire on the Dems. Voters are tired of Washington politicians and may just view this, as the type of person needed once in awhile in Washington”

I tend to agree, people are really sick on congress, and may feel outrageous tirades against congress is what they feel like doing.

38. - Ray del Camino - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:52 am:

Remember that most of the voters in the 12th CD live in the Metro East, not SO IL proper.

39. - walker - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:54 am:

Bost would retake Joe Walsh’s media spot as the loudest freshman GOP Congressman.

My guess is that this will work for him, if the opponent cannot match his “passion.”

40. - Responsa - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 10:56 am:

Ray, a favor–for those of us who live Chicago metro what does that distinction you made mean to both/either of the candidates for the 12th in your opinion?

41. - Judge Cooked - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:00 am:

I live in the metro-east. Most Democrats don’t want to be associated with Governor Quinn down here. Even elected Democrats are shying away from appearances with the Governor. It’s a very bad environment politically against incumbents.

And, the incumbent hasn’t done much to establish himself and what he stands for in the limited time he’s been in DC. Worse, he lives in an unbelievably large shadow of Congressman Costello, who people did find effective and able to cut through the DC baloney.

I get that this ad should play to the fears of suburban women in the metro-east. Believe me, I understand what everyone thinks this ad should do. But, I don’t think anyone understands the level of dissatisfaction in downstate Illinois.

42. - Judge Cooked - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:02 am:

And, speaking of those metro-east suburban women that might be the decision-makers, the Tracy Bost ad will play great with them. Not as good as Rodney’s daughter’s ad, but still very good.

43. - k3 - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:18 am:

Woah. Brutal. Bost is in a good position, but if they are this spot on with the rest of the negative stuff, watch out.

44. - Nieva - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:18 am:

We enjoy a good “fit” down in Southern Illinois! Bost make a great congressman.

45. - Stan - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:19 am:

I’m going to split the baby. The ad helps both candidates solidify their base. I imagine it will have a cross-current affect on swing voters too. Therefore, I don’t think it’ll move the needle at all. It also helps Bost that this outburst was towards other politicians and not some “guy on the street” Joe Walsh style. There’s no “victim”.

46. - Clevelander - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:52 am:

The ad is nicely produced, and might go over well with those who like the way things are in DC.

But it is a stark contrast with Enyart, who was a political general with no combat training or experience.

If southern Illinois wants a fighter, this ad shows them which candidate will go to the mat for them. If they want a milquetoast go along get along guy, then Enyart’s the man.

47. - Birdseed - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 12:01 pm:

- Judge Cooked - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 11:00 am:

=== But, I don’t think anyone understands the level of dissatisfaction in downstate Illinois. ===

Spot. On.

48. - A guy... - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 12:03 pm:

If there’s new ground covered here, I don’t see it. I live in DuPage and I’ve seen this over 100 times. The people in the district had to have seen it more. They made their mind up on this a long time ago. It seems they approved of his “passion” on their behalf. It didn’t move me then, it doesn’t move me now. At all.

49. - Anon - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 12:15 pm:

Bost has an opening here to make his race about the ruling Dem majority in Spfld — about Madigan & Quinn — who are no doubt more unpopular than Bost’s opponent. Bost vented his frustration, sure, but also perhaps the frustration of a region. I suspect this won’t hurt Bost in Southern IL.

50. - Winning with Sheen - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 1:12 pm:

This is a bad move. You need to link Bost to Springfield not show him as the only one to stand up to Madigan/Quinn instead of being their lap dog like Enyart. Bad move. Stupid. I saw the polling on this. Good for Enyart in Metroeast, better for Bost in Southern.

51. - Deep South - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

Another crazy, out-of-control RWNJ. The Dems should show him side-by-side with Joe Wilson. These people just can’t control themselves. “If you want change, there can’t be a place for them Washington.”

52. - Anon - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 1:43 pm:

Remember this? From 2012 Wisconsin. It backfired…
    I don’t know how to imbed things

53. - DPGumby - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 2:11 pm:

The effective part of the ad is the juxtaposition of Bost on the TVs in places where regular people are living their lives. Demonstrates how out of place Bost is from the people, not just that he is loony. It gives a disrepute to an argument that Bost is acting legitimately.

54. - Fair & Balanced - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

that was the worst possible ad!
    for the Democrats….
    This is his district.. nearly EVERYONE knew of his explosion with speaker Madigan regarding the rigged voting and LOVED him for it!!!.

this works for Mike Bost,
    I wonder if he will have to show that ad as an inkind contribution to his campaign.

55. - ed - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 3:52 pm:

Most Illinois voters polled are fed up with the status quo political operation in Springfield. This could really backfire on Dems,if played well by Pubs.

56. - StraightOuttaCobden - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

This ad will blast Bost and sink him. People are sick of immature politicians.

57. - Justin - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 4:25 pm:

This ad shows that Bost should NOT be representing Southwest Illinois in Congress at all.

58. - Colossus - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 4:29 pm:

Sidebar: WHat’s with all the food in this add? a line cook, dude making dinner at home, a bar, couple sitting down to dinner. Is that supposed to be deep?

If this helps Bost in So. IL, then God help them, cause Bost certainly isn’t going to make anything better in DC. We need solutions not fighters.

59. - wordslinger - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 4:39 pm:

–Most Illinois voters polled are fed up with the status quo political operation in Springfield.–

Sure. And how far north of 90% do you predict the incumbent retention rate will be?

60. - Just Me - Thursday, Sep 4, 14 @ 8:08 pm:

I thought you couldn’t use those videos without permission? Who gave permission?

61. - New Point of Sale - Friday, Sep 5, 14 @ 2:10 am:

Right here is the right website for everyone who hopes to understand this
    topic. You understand a whole lot its almost
    hard to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been written about for
    decades. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

TrackBack URI

* *** UPDATED *** THIS JUST IN... Judge orders permanent stay on pension law
* Today's number: 10 percent
* Unclear on the concept
* Could be a big day
* Illinois leaders react to Obama's immigration order
* TrackBill – An Introduction
* Caption contest!

* Our 5 favorite new Windows Phone apps of the week
        * Jolla’s Open Source iPad Alternative Raises More Than $1M In Two Days’ Crowdfunding
        * Apple Watch price, Lollipop updates, MS Office mobile comments & more – Pocketnow Daily Recap
        * Google’s Nexus 6 Might Be Too Big For Right Now, But Right-Sized For The Future
        * You Should Play: Monster Strike is a delightful mashup of monster battles and pinball
        * HTC Desire Eye Review: Welcome to the (selfie) machine
        * The Week in iPad Cases: Extra storage, ultra rugged, and everything in between

* Re/wind: Uber Exec Says Really Dumb Thing, Snapchatting Money and More
        * “Also, Prince Albert is Not Really in a Can”
        * More Images of A Red Blackberry Passport Surface
        * HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon Edition Available for Free On Contract From Sprint
        * Apple Watch Makes it to Time’s 25 Best Inventions of 2014
        * Sprint Offering iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S5 for $5 A Month
        * Pantelligent Is A Smart Frying Pan To Help You Cook Food Perfectly (Video)

* Terrerobytes: Waiting for Adam LaRoche