image
LIVE session coverage...
Rezko thoughts

Monday, Jun 9, 2008

* My syndicated newspaper column this week is about the Tony Rezko verdict. You may already be familiar with some of this, and maybe not with other parts…

Some random thoughts about Antoin “Tony” Rezko’s guilty verdict in his federal corruption trial …

• After Rezko was convicted on 16 of 24 counts, both Gov. Rod Blagojevich and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama expressed sadness at the verdict and gingerly danced away from their former friend and fundraiser. Some in the media criticized the two men for not being tougher on the guy.

There are plenty of reasons why those post-conviction statements weren’t more judgmental or harsh. The first that came to my mind was that Rezko is theoretically facing 300 years in prison. A guy caught up in such a predicament might say anything, true or false, to avoid spending the rest of his natural life behind bars. It’s probably best not to rile him too much. He may know something about one or both men, or he may just make something up. Either way, discretion is the better part of valor in situations like that.

• Is Blagojevich next on the federal “hit list”? Plenty of reports since the Rezko verdict have quoted U.S. attorney insiders as saying the multiple criminal investigations against Blagojevich and his campaign are going “full speed ahead.”

“Speed” and “U.S. attorney” are usually not things you see in the same sentence. They like to take their sweet time, so don’t get too impatient. The feds will put another Blagojevich fundraiser, Chris Kelly, on trial later this year. Actually, Kelly is not just a fundraiser. He’s a close Blagojevich friend. Plus, there’s still another trial pending against Rezko. So, like I said, be patient. It’ll happen when it happens.

• Why did Rezko immediately surrender himself to authorities when his official sentencing date isn’t until September? He’s been out on bond for a few weeks, after the judge sent him to a holding facility for receiving some money from overseas without informing her. He whined and whined when he was in jail, complaining about having to share underwear with his fellow inmates. So why did he volunteer to go back?

Several reasons have been offered, including that he fears for his life, or he’s ready to flip on Blagojevich or that he is showing the feds he is a tough guy who won’t flip on anyone else. I don’t think the answer is any of these.
It’s probably easier to do harm to him in prison than anywhere else. Bad guysabound in prison, and it’s pretty tough to hide from them unless he was put in solitary confinement. If he was making a statement about whether he was about to flip or not, he’d probably say something, rather than just silently surrender.

A commenter at my blog probably had the simplest explanation. Rezko’s friends and family put up millions in cash and property to spring him from that jailhouse. Going back to prison meant the judge’s “hold” was taken off all the money and property.

It most likely was just a decent thing to do by a guy who has done some very indecent things.

• Will Rezko flip on Blagojevich?

Call me a rat if you want, but if I were Rezko and I were facing all that prison time, I’d flip like Nadia Comaneci on steroids. I’d flip so much that I could open up my own IHOP franchise.

I’d be another Flip Wilson.

“They call him Flipper, Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,” would be my new theme song.

I’d … well, you get the idea.

I can’t read Rezko’s mind, but I do believe that if he has something to say, he will.

• Do Illinoisans really care about Rezko?

Shortly after it was announced that a verdict was on its way, the Web sites of the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times were so overwhelmed with visitors that they both crashed. I don’t think that’s ever happened before.

So, yes, people are very interested.

• What was the most overlooked part of the Rezko verdict?

The media has been covering one aspect of the trial for months: Rezko and others were accused of conspiring to squeeze an investor out of a $1.5 million campaign contribution for Blagojevich.

Rezko’s defense lawyers claimed there never was any such plan. It was all a fantasy concocted by “star” prosecution witness Stu Levine, they said. The jury declared Rezko “not guilty” on those counts, apparently believing the defense contention that no such conspiracy ever existed.

* Also, if you missed my appearance on Don & Roma’s show last week, you can download it by clicking here.

* Meanwhile, Rick Bryant, a top aide to Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr., took the unusual step of tying a Democratic congressional candidate to Tony Rezko

The Illinois Senate quietly approved a bill this spring that would have steered the proposed third airport down a path of pay-to-play politics – and certain doom.

I know, because Antoin “Tony” Rezko attempted to lead Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. down that same path two years ago – a proposal Jackson flatly rejected.

Go read the whole thing.

* Related…

* After Rezko verdict, ethics bill looms large on governor’s desk

* Ryan, Rezko convictions have oddsmakers betting on Blagojevich now

* Corruption continues to haunt Chicago

* Legislator calls on Blagojevich to return funds

* Rezko remains distraction for Blagojevich

* GOP looks for ‘political mileage’ with Rezko

* Legislator calls on Blagojevich to return funds

* Tony Rezko’s Third Airport Plan

* Illinois Voters Must Pick Their Medicine

1. - Bill Baar - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 5:41 am:

What’s the impact on Obama? If HRC is holding her delegates with the expecattion of an Obama implosion, is the fuse in this story?

2. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 5:47 am:

BB, it has been my experience over the past several months (plus some intense conversations over the weekend at the IL GOP convention) that Republicans as a rule are far too confident of the Clintons’ abilities.

Apparently, getting “beat” four times (2 presidential runs, an impeachment that failed to immediately damage him with the public and a US Senate run) has made y’all think they’re omnipotent. They ain’t.

She suspended her campaign mainly so she can still raise money to pay off her debts.

3. - Leave a light on George - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 8:40 am:

The interesting part about this whole mess will be when the feds start to expose Mrs. B’s involvement with Rezko on real estate deals.

4. - Ghost - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 8:51 am:

I do not think Rezko was ever unwilling to flip, he was just playing out his hand. The first step is try and beat the rap. If you think about it, he had nothing to lose by going forward and making the feds prove their case. Lets face it, it was a clase thing; they owe Atta big time for helping pull this out of the fire. If Rezko had won most or all of the case, there would be no need for him to flip. If he loses, he can see what the potential damage or exposure is and decide how he wants to cut the deal. Rezko is and always has been in the drivers seat. the feds need him, and they all know it. Now that Rezko knows he was pretty much unsuccesful at fending of the indictment he goes for the flip and cuts his deal. Trying the case did not hurt him, but it consumed his only option other then flipping.

5. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:01 am:

Interesting that a top aide to Cong. Jackson is tying Debbie Halvorson to Rezko.

THAT’S not helpful.

6. - Wumpus - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:03 am:

On another note (since morning shorts are off). It seems like Ozinga is taking a page from teh Bi-Polarweis ™ campaign of advertising for his company. I heard on Friday, WLS during the Roe Conn Show, i beleive, he was advertising his Red and White Strioped trucks and some envirofriendly concrete mix.

7. - wordslinger - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:09 am:

Interesting story from the Jesse Jr. people. There’s been a lot of feuding on the South Side and South Suburbs. I wonder if this is a smack at Jones, once removed.

8. - VanillaMan - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:19 am:

–Pay-to-play was the pathway laid out in Senate Bill 2063, sponsored by state Sen. Debbie Halvorson. That bill would have codified what Rezko essentially proposed to Jackson, ALNAC and its developers (SNC-Lavalin and LCOR), which was to create an airport board comprised of appointed – not elected – commissioners.–

When the Executive Director of the ALNAC claims that Halvorson sponsored Senate Bill 2063 to affirm what Rezko told him and another airport official in a private meeting just before indictments showed up, makes Halvorson look like a Rezko stooge.

He calls Halvorson’s bill the “Rezko model” and he doesn’t do Halvorson any favors by linking her with the Pay-to-Play politics we suffer under.

I wondered how the Halvorson vs. Jackson airport match-up was going to play out in this campaign. Now we can begin to see, can’t we?

Also if Democrats attempt to paint Ozinga as Oberweis, they are chasing their pointed tails. Ozinga’s ads for his business were in the works so long ago, claiming he is using them as part of his campaign, or that there was a conspiracy against Baldermann, is easily disproven. But go ahead and waste your time!

If I were on Halvorson’s team, I’d would be spinning some explanations regarding her Pay-To-Play Senate Bill 2063 supporting Tony Rezko.

9. - One of the 35 - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:47 am:

Maybe Rezko decided to start his time right away because he knew that if he waited, he would just have to go to Nevada in the interim to face the charges there.

10. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:49 am:

===he would just have to go to Nevada in the interim to face the charges there.===

We’ve dealt with this issue several times before here. Rezko is facing another federal trial in Chicago, so I seriously doubt the feds would allow him to be extradited.

11. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 9:58 am:

I think that Jackson’s guy is making this up. The Gov would get to appoint one of seven Board members and that appointee could not be the chair. The locals get to appoint the other six members of the Board. The bill was sponsored by local Republicans as well as Democrats.

I hope any reporters picking up on this will take the time to look over the bill before taking Jackson’s word.

From SB 2063: “The Board of Directors shall have 7 directors…Four directors shall be appointed by the Will County Executive, with the advice and consent of the Will County Board…one director shall be appointed collectively by the municipalities of Beecher, Crete, Monee, Peotone and University Park…one director shall be appointed by the Governor upon the recommendation of the Cook County Township Supervisors whose townships border Will County; the director must reside in one of the Cook County Townships that border Will County…one director shall be appointed by the Chairman of the Kankakee County Board, with the advice and consent of the Kankakee County Board…One of the directors appointed by the Will County Executive, with the advice and consent of the Will County Board, shall be designated and serve as the Board Chair.”

Read it all here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation

12. - Limitations - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:15 am:

Given that a lot of the solid Rezko evidence was in the 2003-2004 time period, there would have to be pressure on the prosecutors to move more quickly if they are going “up the ladder.” While there are ways to structure charges to include criminal conduct more than five years old (see racketering, ongoing conspiracy and tax charges), almost all of the federal statutes (like mail fraud, bribery) have a five year statutue of limitations requiring an indictment within five years of the particular criminal act. Would seem there should be pressure to charge sooner, rather than later at this point.

13. - Limitations---- Proviso - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:23 am:

A huge exception that comes to mind….the feds presumably already have told Gov Blago that he is a target, and while rare, but happens frequently enough, a target and his/her attorney can agree to waive the statute of limitations in the hope that by giving the government longer to fully investigate, they can ultimately be convinced not to charge. Such a waiver would have to be put in place before the statute runs on a particular charge.

14. - Bessie - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:23 am:

Interesting that you noted Obamas and Blagojevichs delicate responces, I was thinking the same thing. llog noted that the Feds are investigating Mrs. B’s real estate transaction. That’s how the feds work they often go after a wife, mother or fiancee’ to make the defendant fold, remember Duff and Falin. Rezko will take the tough guy route for as long as he can but he will flip, one pair of stained undies will turn him into a chattering teenage girl. At the risk of sounding peranoid I think Syrian born Rezko, Jordanian Ata, Iraqi Alsammarae and the Iraqi Baathe party member Auchi have a much more sinister plot than making a little cash, they already have millions and in Auchis case billions. They could make money any where in the world. Why did they pick Chicago? Did they just want more money? I don’t think so.

15. - Ivote - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:24 am:

==”What was the most overlooked part of the Rezko verdict? * * * * The jury declared Rezko “not guilty” on those counts, apparently believing the defense contention that no such conspiracy ever existed.”==

Keep in mind that “not guilty” is not “innocent.” Some jurors may have believed, or most jurors may have believed, but “traded” a not guilty on that count for a guilty on one or more other counts. Lots of explanations for the “NG” that don’t exonerate anyone! I’m sure the feds are talking to jurors to figure it out, but if I were Blago’s attorneys, I would NOT feel very comfortable that a NG for Rezko on that count meant I was safe!

16. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:25 am:

=== Why did they pick Chicago?===

Rezko didn’t start out wealthy. He hustled his way up. There’s a large Arab-American community in Chicago, so I think you’re being paranoid.

17. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:27 am:

ivote, if you take a look at the jury’s comments, it was pretty clear that they discounted Levine’s stories that weren’t backed up by anything else. This wasn’t backed up.

18. - Irish - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:29 am:

I keep hearing folks tying Rezko to Obama, which apparently there is fundraising connection, as though he and Blagojevich are two of a kind and the only ones influenced by Tony. But no talk of tying him to anyone else. In the Dem Presidential primary Hillary hammered on it again and again. And in the upconing Presidential contest I am sure it will be brought up again. I would like to know why there has not been more done to find out who else benefitted from his “efforts”. He was photographed with the Clinton’s and I doubt he got that opportunity without paying for it, but the Clinton’s redacted so much from their financial statements no one would know.
    The spider web of corruption in Illinois included Bill Cellini who has been a long time Republican power broker and there was the connection to Hastert through the alleged effort to oust Fitzgerald. I just have the feeling that this guy spread his money and corruption anywhere there was an election irregardless of party lines or an opportunity to line his own pockets. I am hopping the Feds are not done with the investigation and are pursuing it on many fronts not just with Milrod.

19. - North of I-80 - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:57 am:

Rich,

Great article & summary. I don’t downplay the safety issue for Rezko wanting to stay in jail. A moderately high profile guy like Rezko will be safer than the usually Joey Bag Man held in custody. Pressure is on Corrections Workers to be sure that he is kept safe so he can testify, deliver, roll, flip etc. IF he can deliver a Governor, he might have a guard on/with him 24 hours and call it ’suicide watch’ or solitary just to be able to deliver him to next interview and court appearance.

20. - GofGlenview - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:00 am:

OK Rich I’m going to give you the Rosencranz (as Levine called him) but what about Cari? Rezko was guilty on that one and what about the plane ride where Kelly, Hurtgen, Cari, Levine, Blago and the rest talked about all this stuff? If we give you the “Rosencranz” you have to give us Cari amd that leads too Blago’s door step.

21. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:01 am:

I didn’t mention those other charges because they weren’t overlooked, which was the point of that last part.

22. - GofGlenview - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:02 am:

Rich, you’re obsessive about this Rosencranz thing…I think your making the fact that Rezko got off on that charge bigger than it is.

23. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:05 am:

I thought you were giving that point to me? lol

I’m not obsessing on it. I pointed it out to my subscribers, pointed it out here and pointed it out to my column readers at the bottom of the column. It just looks like repetition when really I’m just informing the vast empire one bloc at a time. lol

24. - GofGlenview - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:07 am:

Doesn’t the Cari statement and testimony actually back up almost everything Levine said? I mean I understand the gap in the Rosencranz story as told by levine, lack of direct evidence, but that doesn’t mean that there some level of veracity in at all. I mean Blago talked directly to Cari about his intentions these same intentions were also reiterated by Hurtgen in his conversations with CEO Davis. Basically, it backs up the Rosencranz allegations (but that’s all they are in his case allegations no proof- unlike the wire the CEO Davis might have been or was wearing).

25. - GofGlenview - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:09 am:

I know, respect, I do I think you’re right on 99% of the time this is just that 1%.lol

26. - GofGlenview - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:09 am:

or rather 23/24…

27. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:10 am:

You’re arguing for nothing. I agree with you on the Cari stuff.

28. - the Patriot - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:50 am:

Can Rezco flip? If he gives up Blago, we know Blago will sing because he does not believe in loyalty or trust. Can the other members of the Chicago Machine allow Blago to go down knowing he is is a spineless weasel. Think about all the of the family and political ties Blago has and what he could offer the Feds. The best way to cut this off is to make sure Rezko does not flip.

I have not seen the media really scrutinize the Obama ties. Does he have anyting to offer in the way of Obama? If so, it has to be soon. Fitz won’t interfere with an election, and it is sort of tough to indict the President.

29. - Garp - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:08 pm:

I disagree with a previous poster who said Rezco had nothing to lose by taking this case to trial.

I thought his case was a dead bang loser from the get go. I also thought his attorney was a self serving publicity hound who should have been working a plea deal and convincing his client to co-operate all along. It means nothing whether you are convicted on 16 counts or 24. They got him.

I am not sure what deal they gave Levine, but Rezco could have gotten a better one. First off, he is not as unsavory a character and would make a better witness. Second, he would have saved a bundle of money paid to his attorney. Third, he probably wouldn’t have to go to jail till the court cases are finished.

The feds like people who work with them and are inclined to take care of their star witnesses. I realize they will still deal for his testimony, but he won’t be treated like he could have been.

30. - Ghost - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:18 pm:

Nah they will treat hims just as well today as they would have before the trial. Nothing has changed. If he has the Goods he gets the Royal treatment because they need him. The idea of nothing to lose by taking the case to trials is not premised upon reducing by a handful the counts they got him on; its based on the idea that he could have prevailed on the whole indictment. The feds were worried, the 11th hour Atta deal shows that the conclusion was anything but forgone. had Rezko been found NG on all 24 counts no need for him to roll. he played the trial out to see if he could escape and lost that hand. The feds have the same several hundred years of jail time they had before, but now Rezko has a reason to talk to them. Rezko lost nothing by trying this case, it was the smart move (did end well for Tessio either, but it was still the smart move).

31. - TaxMeMore - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:24 pm:

Rich, I’m sorry but your first item is no defense for Obama, Blago, and the IL Dems complete silence about Rezko and political corruption in Illinois.

Someone may lie about me? What, they don’t trust our government and justice system to determine the truth from lies coming out of the likes of Rezko’s mouth? Presidents that don’t trust the justice system end up using tactics exactly like George W Bush does that shreds civil liberties.

Saving their own skin from some mythical lie that Rezko may tell IN FAVOR OR taking a perfect opportunity to let the public know they’ve had enough of the corruption in Illinois should tell you all you need to know about Blago AND Obama. When given a clear choice, Obama will choose to protect himself from potential lies instead of putting the taxpayers of Illinois first as a true leader would do and condemn his good friend’s actions, demand accountability, and demand reform.

So when Obama’s HUD Secretary gets caught bilking us for billions, is this the response we should expect from Obama? Pay minimal lip service showing concern for the criminal and no concern whatsoever for the poor people paying those taxes that get stolen. That’s not change, that’s the same tired old politics as usual we need reform from. Obama is part of the problem folks and his Rezko silence is telling. Obama has done NOTHING to change Illinois for the better. NOTHING!!!

If anything, those statements by Blago and Obama were direct messages/threats to Rezko that he still has family members on the outside of the jail walls and if he still cares about them he’ll stay quiet. That is the better explanation of their lack of leadership on corruption.

32. - Amy - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:25 pm:

why in the world would the Jackson side of things go against
    DDHalv? don’t they want to avoid anything in the legislature, with changes to the makeup of the board (only obama link, besides his bad judgment in friends and questionable real estate transaction) that seems to be in the case.

maybe they are linked by money.

33. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:29 pm:

===If anything, those statements by Blago and Obama were direct messages/threats to Rezko that he still has family members on the outside of the jail walls and if he still cares about them he’ll stay quiet. ===

Yeah, I’m sure that’s true.

But I do admit you have a point about what happens if BHO moves up.

34. - Mr. Wizard - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:33 pm:

All this talk about danger to Rezko raises the question: where is he? Do the feds make that stuff public?

35. - Bill Baar - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:40 pm:

I assumed Metro Correctional Center in the loop…

36. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:49 pm:

Amy: The guy that wrote that piece and made the accusation is worried about his job. Rick Bryant is Executive Director of the Abraham Lincoln National Airport Commission, and, if the state takes over the operation, he is out of his job. The details of the bill do not support his suggestion of pay-to-play potential because the Gov. would only get one of seven Board appointments, the rest would be appointed by the local folks. (see my post above)

37. - Garp - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 12:52 pm:

Is Levine in jail right now?

38. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 1:06 pm:

Bryant’s accusations that appointed Boards are bad rings especially hollow considering that the ALNAC Board is appointed in the same way as that proposed by SB 2063 (with the exception of the one member appointed by the Gov.)

The biggest difference is which local governments get to appoint members.

39. - Amy - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 1:15 pm:

Pot, thanks. i was just wondering, if in the whole
    “combine’ atmosphere in Illinois, that Jackson
    somehow found it better to ally with DDHalv’s
    opponent. but that article is interesting and
    the posts on the paper’s board are really interesting.

40. - VanillaMan - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 1:18 pm:

These non-elected insiders would have enormous powers to control the project – including eminent domain, condemnation, taxation, and contracts galore – yet they’d stand accountable to no one.–

Please read what Bryant wrote.

You are wrong Pot calling Kettle!

Bryant is opposed to Senate Bill 2063 because the members would not be elected. You and he agree that Senate Bill 2063 would create an appointed board. He is opposed to an appointed board, and you are not because the appointees in the Bill would come from different governments?

No. The problem Bryant points out with Senate Bill 2063 still stands. Halvorson’s bill would create another Pay-To-Play scenario for her friends. Bryant and I guess Jackson are opposed to allowing Rezko and Halvorson this power.

Please read and understand that what you are writing about Bryant is wrong.

Thank you.

41. - Levois - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 1:44 pm:

It was mentioned that both the Sun-Times and Tribune had crashed when the verdict went down. I wonder if the whole nation was watching that verdict because Obama is running for President. Although it seems he won’t be affected much except as a case of guilt by association.

42. - Dirt Guy - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 2:07 pm:

Rich,

How about a little tech tip for your readers/posters? You may want to pass along that a person can download the Google Toolbar, for either IE or FireFox, for free, and it has a spell check tab on it. Might not make some posts more coherent, but at least the spelling will be correct.

43. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 2:13 pm:

We’ll be moving to a new platform later this year which will hopefully take care of that problem. Stay tuned.

44. - Ghost - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 2:47 pm:

correct spelling? where is the fun in that.

45. - Been There - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 2:52 pm:

Dirt Guy. I have the google toolbar but I don’t see the spell check. God knows I need it. It would be a great feature so I don’t have to flip over to Word use spell check.
    Rich, sorry to split away from the subject but I am still afraid my grammer school nuns that still haunt me will jump out of the computer screen and whack my knuckles with a ruler.

46. - Been There - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 2:57 pm:

Dirt Guy. Forget it. I found it, thanks. Back to the subject at hand, Rezko. Which ironically comes up as misspelled with the Google spell check tab.

47. - Ghost - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 3:45 pm:

hmmm no one is going to complain that I ended a correctly spelled sentence with a preposition….

Grammar police are always in the donut shop spell checking the coffee when yah need em.

48. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 3:46 pm:

I dangle prepositions all the time. Write like you talk and nobody should complain, unless you can’t talk, then don’t do that.

49. - Ghost - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 3:54 pm:

If I write like I talk, participles will be dangling all over the place. I try not to do that in public though.

50. - wordslinger - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 3:58 pm:

As Churchill wrote regarding the rule of dangling prepositions: “This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put!”

51. - Captain America - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 4:24 pm:

I’m looking forward to that new platform so I can eliminate my many typos.

52. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 4:42 pm:

VM: I read what Bryant wrote and then looked at the web site for the ALNAC that board is also appointed, not elected. Bryant advocates a Board appointed by local elected officials, SB2063 is the same type of Board as ALNAC, the biggest difference is which local governments appoint the Board.

Before you call me WRONG, read the documentation:

Bryant is worried about his job. His appointed board does not want to give up control. Look at the communities that appoint the Boards in SB vs ALNAC. If anything, the SB gives broader representation and is therefor more accountable.

Bottom line, VM, both Boards are comprised of non-elected members. The only difference is which local communities appoint them. (yes, the SB gives the gov one appointee) Nobody gets to elect either board.

53. - Dirt Guy - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 4:45 pm:

I haven’t gotten any platforms since the 70’s.

54. - VanillaMan - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 5:00 pm:

Whether the current ALNAC board is appointed is not the point Bryant is making. He is opposed to an appointed board.

Halvorson is. So is Rezko. So is Blagojevich.

Bryant is opposed to that.

It doesn’t matter what ALNAC is currently doing. This is about Senate Bill 2063, and Bryant is opposed to an appointed board.

It doesn’t matter how he got his job, or whether he will lose it. What matters to him is that an appointed board is one that has less accountability than an elected one.

I don’t understand how this is confusing…

55. - john a carroll, md - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 5:57 pm:

Is Emil Jones interested in downstate’s largest hospital?

56. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 6:51 pm:

Dr. Carroll, Emil Jones would onlt be interested in it if he can eat it or receive a contribution for him.

God Bless in your search for justice. It’s a long, lonely walk.

57. - Pot calling kettle - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 7:47 pm:

VM: The confusion is not mine. At the end of his rant, Bryant puts forth the ALNAC as a model for how the process should work “By comparison, ALNAC is made up entirely of elected officials from home-rule municipalities, all bound by state ethics laws.” This is a misrepresentation, since the ALNAC Board is appointed just as would the Board in SB2063. While the ALNAC is comprised of elected officials, they APPOINT a board to carry out the work.

In SB2063, local elected officials also appoint a board. The difference is which local officials appoint the board. The ALNAC Board is appointed by officials from five suburbs, four of which are in Cook Co. and four (I think) of which are in Jackson’s 2nd CD. SB2063 spreads out the appointments and puts most in the hands of Will Co., location of the most likely site, and then to the surrounding communities.

If anything this is about turf, not an elected board as no such thing has been proposed.

58. - john a carroll, md - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 10:54 pm:

Thank you, Mr. Andersen.

59. - john a carroll, md - Monday, Jun 9, 08 @ 11:00 pm:

Rezko and Peoria? Who knows?

* Cuz4Congress site goes live as announcement approaches
* *** UPDATED x1 - Rahm Emanuel denounces effort *** Rauner's draft resolution for local governments
* Today's quotables
* What would the environment be like without the civil justice system?
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Two Aurora men busted for alleged ISIS terror conspiracy - National Guardsman planned to attack Illinois military base, target officers
* Charter school faces closure after judicial ruling
* *** UPDATED x1 *** All eyes turn to the Senate
* Gaming the system or technology neutral?
* *** UPDATED x1 - AFSCME responds *** Poll: Rauner approval at 33 percent, but anti-union message well received
* ComEd’s Energy Plan for Illinois’ Future
* A sign of the times
* Credit Unions – Cooperative in structure, valued in community service
* Illiana cover-up?
* Rockford worried about losing hoped-for Amtrak service
* Today's number: 0.07 percent
* *** LIVE *** Session coverage
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition
* Good morning!

* Meet the incredible winner of our latest #LumiaChallenge
        * Qualcomm video shows off how fast Quick Charge 2.0 is
        * Apple's Tim Cook leads different
        * Neo smartpen N2 fuses physical handwriting and digital notekeeping
        * Castro: a system information app that actually looks good
        * Root method for the Droid Turbo released for $20
        * Verizon opens Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge pre-orders on April 1st, hopefully not a joke

* News Republic v5 Comes With A Host Of New Features
        * T-Mobile, Sprint Taking HTC One M9 Pre-Orders Tomorrow
        * The Olio Model One Smartwatch Plays Nicely With iOS And Android
        * Samsung Rumored To Triple Galaxy S6 Edge Production
        * Leak Unleashes Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, 3DS-Remake Launch?
        * Future HTC Devices Could Come With Wireless Charging
        * Google’s Augmented Reality Game Ingress Could Become A TV Show

* Gillaspie confident plantar fasciitis is under control
        * Penny misses mark in latest audition
        * Rodon could be game-changer for White Sox
        * LaRoche happy to have Thome as mentor
        * Samardzija eager to get season started on right foot
        * Robertson managing soreness in right forearm
        * Carlos Rodon dominates Royals, even without a changeup