More Obama replacement follies *** UPDATED X2 ***

Wednesday, Dec 3, 2008

* Plenty of rumors today - including from a national reporter acquaintance - that Secretary of State Jesse White is back on the governor’s short-list for the US Senate. But his spokesman just said - for probably the fiftieth time - that JW doesn’t want the job.

* I’ve asked that the Post-Dispatch post the audio of this interview, but for now we’ll have to settle for this quote from Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. regarding the appointment to Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat…

“I am the ideal, the best and the most qualified person,” Jackson said in an unusual conference call he requested with Post-Dispatch editorial writers this morning…

He’s so humble.

* This video clip posted by PI demonstrates why Chuck Todd is one of the best DC correspondents alive…

That Matthews guy is really difficult to watch, man.

* Sam Boyd at the American Prospect seems to be catching on to how goofy this appointment process has become, but he also seems to think that appointing Emil Jones to the seat would make everybody happy.

Here’s why that wouldn’t be a great idea

So Jones, who is retiring as president of the state senate, is a perfect choice. Didn’t he resign just in time for his ward boss buddies to install his son, Emil III, on the November ballot unopposed? Didn’t he help Blagojevich in his blood feud with House Speaker Mike Madigan, turning the General Assembly into a do-nothing quagmire of epic proportions?

So governor, pick your pal Jones.

In order to bring real change to Illinois, the public needs to get a lot angrier than it is. This will really help.

Yep.

*** UPDATE 1 *** Politico’s Josh Kraushaar believes he can read the governor’s mind…

Here are the five most likely contenders for the appointment

OK.

*** UPDATE 2 *** The complete audio of Congressman Jackson’s interview with the Post-Dispatch can be found at this link.

1. - stones - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 2:57 pm:

The funny thing is that JJ Jr. might be a good candidate if he didn’t toot his own horn so often. People just get tired of his act.

Another example of a guy who is his own worst enemy.

2. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:02 pm:

Jones makes a lot of sense. Only issue is those pictures of him and Auchi from that visit. But maybe that’s all water over the bridge now.

3. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:08 pm:

===Only issue is those pictures of him and Auchi from that visit.===

LOL. Are you serious? That would be the least of his worries, dude.

4. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:19 pm:

Yep, it would raise questions about Auchi’s telcom deals on Iraq reconstruction and just what in the world was Auchi doing in Illinois.

Otherwise I think Jones the perfect choice. It’s payback for giving Obama’s career its start, and gets the Gov out of all of the issues with JJ and the rest of them… for all the reasons that have been cited. Jones makes sense for two years.

It’s just he’s got these Auchi connections that are going to come back one way or the other… it’s the only negative I can see to appointing him.

5. - Levois - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:22 pm:

I read that in Alabama there is about to be a holiday named for Obama.

6. - ivoted4judy - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:31 pm:

Me thinks the U S Senate could use a dose of Emilese!!!!!!!!!!! Besides he would have the President’s back with all those patrician blue bloods..

7. - pro - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:33 pm:

Yea, because that Auchi connection was a REAL problem for everyone else…

8. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:37 pm:

===it’s the only negative I can see to appointing him. ===

So, his wife’s redesignation to get a pay raise, his stepson’s millions of dollars in state contracts, his son’s last-minute appointment to the ballot, “food stamps,” “pay raise,” recall, multitudinous failures on his supposedly pet issue of school funding reform, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. are all nothing to be concerned with?

The man is probably the single most reviled politician in Illinois next to Todd Stroger. And you bring up Auchi? Please.

9. - A Citizen - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:41 pm:

We all know too well that guv is unpredictable, abrasive, and wont to tick people off. Therefore it is my prediction he appoints Oberweise putting him out of his misery and everyone else into their’s!

10. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:44 pm:

Get’s him out of local politics (which is what counts) and puts him in DC with the task of bringing him to bacon.

I think a lot of people will think he’d be good at that… and he gets the Gov out of entanglements with the other choices.

11. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:46 pm:

===I think GOP and Dems alike would see Jones as a guy who would bring home the goods to Illinois.===

A man who announces on Day One that he will not try to hold onto the seat in two years would not be taken seriously in the US Senate, no matter what his (rapidly diminishing) ties are to the president. There would be no bacon.

Also, a move up would mean even more scrutiny, and I’m not sure he can handle being scrutined at that level.

12. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:48 pm:

Bill’s lookin’ good!

JJIII might just pull this off. I don’t think he had a chance before, but the longer he keeps pushing. Of course, with our Gov., it might just go to the biggest campaign donor. It’s hard to imagine an appointment like this going to anyone who gave less than 100K.

Now for the big question: If JJIII gets the nod, will he call pairs of Senators to the floor to hug each other? If so, who will be first? Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell?

13. - phocion - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:49 pm:

I suppose this parlor game of guessing who’s going to get the appointment is irresistable to many. But, I mean, what’s the point of this guessing game anymore? Blago is as inscrutable as the Sphinx, but without the attractive mystery. The choice will happen, and then it will be picked apart. JJJ is getting airtime because windbags like Matthews don’t have much else to do to burn up airtime. I agree with Rich about Todd in this case, at least. But I’d say young Todd must have been reading CapFax to get his intel. His POV is hardly prevalent in Washington, or even in Illinois among the media.

14. - ArchPundit - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:50 pm:

===I’m not sure he can handle being scrutined at that level.

Probably not, but the fountain of quotes he would serve up would be a lot of fun to follow.

15. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:51 pm:

Also, a move up would mean even more scrutiny…

Well that’s the downside for sure with those Auchi pics… and whether we can take him at his word for two years, will, they’ll be a Democratic Primary too….

…bit think the major criteria for a lot of people will be could he make deals to benefit Illinois..so who better to send but a real dealer? Especially if everyone else brings a lot of drama…. save that for a primary.

Not a prediction, just a thought that Jones isn’t as far fetched as his selection once seemed.

….cept those Auchi pics.

16. Pingback ArchPundit | Humbled? I Doubt It… - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:51 pm:

[…] Rich makes the point that Todd is one of the best DC correspondents alive and frankly that may be underestimating him.  The Hotline is probably the best training for a pundit.  Maybe Mecurio is next (he’s still not as good as Todd though). […]

17. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:53 pm:

I wish they had his interview with Lesinik (sp?) from Comcast online.

I’d much rather have a drink with Jones and learn about real politics and real interesting stories and history than I would with plenty of other Illinois pols.

18. - Steve - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:55 pm:

Jesse Jackson Jr. makes a decent pick for Blagojevich.Jackson could run well down state because he has been critical of Mayor Daley.Jackson is for big,activist government which is now the mainstream in Illinois.He’s very articulate.Maybe,someone could talk about Jay Hoffman’s chances because he has been a loyal Blagojevich supporter.

19. - Bill Baar - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 3:58 pm:

Jones would be a lame duck with a mighty powerful friend up the street though. That might get some pork sent Illinois way.

20. - Kevin Fanning - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:03 pm:

Can we please get Bill on Hardball?

21. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:05 pm:

Sounds like a job for Super Intern!

22. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:06 pm:

I’m not sure who Bill’s spokesperson is. I gave out so many jobs that I kinda lost track.

23. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:08 pm:

I think of all things, Bill can speak for himself…

24. - GoBearsss - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:08 pm:

The appearance might have to be via live blog posting, however…

25. - JonShibleyFan - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:28 pm:

Congressman, what’s all this “Barack Barack Barack” stuff? A little decorum please, for the office, if not for the man. “The president elect.”

26. - OneMan - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:28 pm:

Why do I suspect if one could read minds and tried to read the governors mind it would either result in.

A) Madness like was seen in the movie ‘mindstorm’

or

B) It would be like watching ‘It Happened at the World’s Fair’

27. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:30 pm:

OneMan, more like “Spinout.”

28. Pingback ArchPundit | Emil Jones the non-controversial choice - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:34 pm:

[…] Rich laughs off Sam Boyd’s suggestion at Tapped that Blagojevich should appoint Emil Jones as a non-controversial appointee to Obama’s Senate seat.  As Rich points out in comments, Jones has many issues: […]

29. - JonShibleyFan - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:39 pm:

C) Lots and lots of kitties.

30. - anon - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:44 pm:

I Beleive Emil Jones could be the mentor of Barak Obama just as Bill Beavers is to Todd Stroger

31. - You Go Boy - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:44 pm:

Rich, I agree wholeheartedly about Chris Matthews, aka, “Blabby Interuptus”. JJ is a more polished version of his old man, but just as egomaniacal and prone to shaking down whomever gets in his way. (He actually - on national TV - crossed his fingers when the host noted his hope to be appointed as our next Senator….- a classless act indeed)

32. - Mountain Man - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 4:46 pm:

If Jackson would have simply shut his mouth instead of demanding the appointment, it might just have been his. Given his apparent inability to lobby quietly, I think his chances are doomed.

I think Duckworth gets the nod. She’s been a loyal Blagojevich ally, is obvioulsy respected by Obama, Emmanuel and Durbin, plus she has ventured out on the national stage by campaigning for Democrats in tight races. She’d be very formidible in two years–likely hoding the seat for the dems. She’s played her cards right.

33. - Bill - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:04 pm:

Rich,
    I thought you were my spokesperson.
    I’d love to get on Hardball and get in a few shots at that guy Mathews.
    It just so happens that I can make myself available. Where is that show based? DC? NYC? Maybe I can hitch a ride on the state plane.
    I can fake being humble a lot better than Junior.

34. - A Citizen - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:12 pm:

Bill, sincerity is the key to a successful political career - if you can fake that, you’ve got it made!

35. - Bill - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:22 pm:

A,

36. - walter sobchak - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:24 pm:

Enough of this crap! Where and when can I buy my Senator lottery ticket? We need the money and even the character Walter Sobchak is more qualified and would do a better job than these yahoos.

37. - Amy - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:38 pm:

gotta find another clip of JJr. on MSNBC during the primaries…flapping away at Hillary with sexist remarks. he was off the campaign trail for a while on the Obama beat after that.

38. - A Citizen - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 5:43 pm:

-Bill-
    “… A,
    I haven’t noticed your name on the CapitolFax Bill for Senate page. What are you waiting for? … ”

Bill, I signed up - Rich must have deleted me . . . again! I’ll do it again if I can get there - can’t find the link …

39. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 11:06 pm:

===================
    He’s very articulate.
    ====================

I…My…Me…Vision…Vision…Same…I’d…I…My…Me…Vision…Vision…. ….

I’m sorry, but I think EVERYONE needs to start using some new words soon…and I hope that when they do, we don’t start hearing alot of “journey”, “aspirations”, “someday”, “my vision has always been, and continues to be”, “in my next term”, “as we plan to plan to move forward”, “the previous administration”, etc.

Seriously, I don’t know how much more the general public can live on dreams and visions and change–in other words, more campaign and rally speeches and soundbytes under our current circumstances.

I’m going to have start watching Rahm Emanuel more to balance the sugar high.

40. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 3, 08 @ 11:35 pm:

I’m tired of the word “vision”. I think everyone needs to switch to more action-oriented verbs soon because it’s starting to sound like campaining and rallying season is never going to end.

41. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Dec 4, 08 @ 12:44 am:

AA is suggesting a new vision- a new government cost-saving, transparency, reform, and consolidation initiative. I propose that once and for all the offices, of Treasurer and Comptroller be combined into a single independent entity to save the State millions of dollars in annual bureaucratic overhead. The initiative, to be known as COMPOST, for Central Office (of) Making Payments Out (and) State Treasury will dramatically transform two murky backwaters of Illinois government into a beacon of best practices that will shine from coast to coast. Numerous ethical reforms will accompany the proposal, including the requirement that any individual elected to the new position of State Chief Financial Officer may never have had a personal or business relationship with any individual with the nickname of “Jaws.”

I’m hopeful that the same burst of bipartisan vigor that brought us all together to get Bill to the Senate will all us to come together to “push COMPOST for a brighter Illinois.”

Many thanks, AA

* Ridiculous allegation withdrawn
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Adventures in governing
* Rauner on Obama: "One of the most anti-business presidents we've had in the last 70 years"
* Callis recycles ad, reportedly lowers buys
* *** UPDATED x2 - Frerichs responds - Cross responds *** Frerichs says Cross is Rauner's "lapdog"
* Poll: Rauner leading by 6, Topinka up by 22, Cross up by 10
* Pumping up the base
* NRI head will testify next week
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Another day, another GTCR revelation
* Rate Rauner's three new TV ads
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition: Congressional crosstabs
* Good morning, everybody!

* NVIDIA Tegra-powered Honda Connect infotainment system introduced
        * Nexus 6 gets a massive set of mockups and leaked photos
        * iOS 8 Translator Keyboard Introduces Easy Access Language Translation Capabilities
        * Apple Watch changes, Sony Xperia Z3X, Galaxy Note 4 dates & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Apple Pay gets a rumored ETA, three weeks from now
        * Fashion industry working to accommodate today’s larger phones
        * Science Inc.’s Refame Connects Influencers With Advertisers On Vine And Instagram

* $1,500 for Google Glass? Faux That!
        * Crouching Tiger, Meet Billy Madison: Now Netflix is Making Movies with Adam Sandler, Too
        * Can’t Make it to Giza? Explore the Pyramids With Google Street View