* 1:11 PM - I just talked to Senate President-in-waiting John Cullerton. Here’s what he had to say…
Before I take office as the President, we should pass legislation changing the law to allow for special election for the replacement of Sen. Obama. And I believe that Sen. Jones will support me in that effort.
A spokesperson for retiring Senate President Emil Jones said she had not heard that yet, but would check.
Sen. Dick Durbin has already said today that he supports changing the law to take away the governor’s appointment powers. Sen. Cullerton said he has also spoken with Durbin about that issue. House Speaker Michael Madigan has yet to issue a statement on anything.
*** UPDATE 1 *** We’re coming back for session. No word yet on the date…
PRESIDENT JONES TO RECONVENE SENATE TO PASS LEGISLATION CREATING SPECIAL ELECTION TO FILL THE U. S. SENATE SEAT
CHICAGO, Illinois – “The events this morning are shocking. The faith of the citizens of Illinois has once again been shaken. I will call the Senate back in to session to pass legislation that would create a special election for the U. S. Senate seat to help restore the confidence of the people of Illinois during this difficult time.”
*** UPDATE 2 *** Tribune…
Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were each released on his own recognizance at a federal court hearing this afternoon.
The hearing lasted 15 minutes. Blagojevich entered with U.S. marshals, dressed in a blue-gray track suit, a turtleneck and running shoes.
He was allowed to leave the federal courthouse via an underground ramp.
The governor and his aide each signed signature bonds of $4,500.
*** UPDATE 3 *** President-Elect Barack Obama told reporters today that he didn’t want to comment on a pending case against the governor. But he did say that he had no contact with the governor or his staff about the push to replace him and that he was not aware of what was happening.
*** UPDATE 4 *** The US Marshall’s office says that neither Blagojevich nor the governor’s attorney will address the media today.
[ *** End of Updates *** ]
* Other stuff of note…
* Chicago reporter suggests Rahm Emanuel may have ‘tipped’ off federal investigators about Blagojevich
* Quinn: Blagojevich should consider stepping aside
* Source: ‘SEIU official’ was Stern
* Don’t lump Ryan, Blagojevich together, says Ryan’s son
* Ex-Wrigley deal point man surprised by shenanigans
* Cross calls for governor’s resignation
* 1:45 PM - More…
* Lawmakers Already Calling For Blago Impeachment
* Hinz: Stupid, arrogant, bonehead, all and more apply to Blago
* 2:26 PM - Kevin collected us some linkies…
* ABC: Did Chicago Tribune Owner Cut Deal to Fire His Editor?
* Lt. Gov. Quinn calls on Blagojevich to ‘do the right thing’
* Ill. AG Madigan: Blagojevich should resign
* Statement from Illinois State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias
* NEW: Impeachment would be tricky process
* Pat Quinn: Illinois’ Lieutenant Governor, Future Governor?
* So, who’s in charge? Blagojevich — for now
* Blagojevich’s conduct audacious, raises questions about filling
* Rod Blagojevich’s ponderings on who to name to the Senate
* State Journal-Register editorial: Blagojevich must resign now