Quinn [gently] shoots back

Thursday, Nov 19, 2009

* Earlier today, I showed you a video of Gov. Quinn nodding off during a question asked by a woman whose pregnant daughter-in-law died because she had no health insurance.

Well, the Quinn campaign has countered with a video of their own. Apparently, the governor approached the woman after the event and told her she had given a “beautiful, beautiful speech,” adding “If I can help in any way, I’m the governor and I get around. I want to help tell Jenny’s story.” Class move.

The governor also hinted that he might help her with a call to the Chicago police since she may have been harassed at home by “the teabaggers.” Take a look

From the governor’s campaign…

Yesterday, at the Campaign for Better Health Care forum, Governor Pat Quinn heard Midge Hough tell the heartbreaking story of Jenny, her 24-year-old daughter-in-law, who died nine weeks ago – along with her unborn child – because Jenny and her husband did not have health insurance.

While listening to Midge’s story, Governor Quinn took notes, looking down as he did so, as a deceptively edited video clearly shows. […]

To learn more about Midge Hough, Jenny’s needless death, and the reasons that Governor Pat Quinn believes that access to affordable, quality healthcare is a basic human right, please take a moment and watch this video from the Campaign for Better Health Care.

We all commend Midge Hough for her extraordinary courage and her indomitable belief that this personal tragedy may ultimately serve to help millions of other people, like Jenny and her baby, who still do not have health care coverage.

He nodded off. They should’ve either ignored that or admitted it. Either way, he clearly nodded off.

And here’s Ms. Hough’s video

1. - Pat collins - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 2:29 pm:

And now, we see the fruit of cheaper digital cameras and storage. And we thought politicians were scripted before….

2. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 2:29 pm:

Good rapid counter.

3. - Niles Township - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 2:49 pm:

Hynes can’t use the debate tape as a commercial now. Because if Quinn helps getting the teabaggers off her case, you know what the rebuttal commercial is..”I’m Midge Hough, I was the one who asked that question, the one whose daughter-in-law and unborn grandchild died…I can tell you what Pat Quinn is doing…for healthcare…for early childhood education…for public saftey…we need Pat Quinn..He’ll be there for us..I needed him, and he stood by me just like he’ll stand by all of us in these tough times.”

4. - Dead Head - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:10 pm:

I would question the “nodding off.” The video is clearly edited and in these days of Photoshop, etc., I think you could put together a video showing whatever you wanted it to.

5. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:13 pm:

The unedited version is on the way.

6. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:13 pm:

And Photoshop is one thing, but I really doubt that Hynes spent a fortune on animation.

7. - WizzardofOzzie - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:19 pm:

You notice that the Hynes camera was focused on Quinn’s face the whole time. There campaign looks desperate by releasing video like this, and from Rich’s cap fax this morning, it seems that they are.

8. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:35 pm:

9. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:38 pm:

Looking forward to raw footage, have a video idea of my own….

10. - soccermom - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:43 pm:

Classy response by Quinn.

11. - Cindy Lou - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 3:44 pm:

See, Quinn’s not an unconcerned not interested guy, just over tired. So as I said earlier, fess up to it, think quick and just stand up. Better to mumble something along the lines of ‘I don’t wanna miss this, it’s really important stuff’ , better to show himself a very busy governor, than a dozing Mr. Just Get This Over With.

12. - Deep South - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:01 pm:

Who cares about the dozing. I find it appalling that this poor woman is being attacked by the tea-baggers. Good night! These people need to be exposed for the loons that they really are!

13. - Will County Woman - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:03 pm:

I understand that a little political theatre now and then is justified and necessary. I realize that Quinn is having a tough time and this week was particuarly brutal for him with the Gitmo issue.

I don’t mean any disrespect to the Quinn camp, but could you guys maybe be a little less obvious next time, assuming that you have to resort to political theatre again in the primary or general? Quinn does lay it on a bit thick here. If Hynes had done this I would say the same thing, and appreciate that he not be so overt in his effort.

Just for the record, I do feel sorry for Midge. I respect the fact that she is very much a political activist on health care reform, and I share her concerns and dedication to the health care reform effort. I commend her for sharing her very personal story with the world. She’s been quite vocal about her family’s situation in the recent past, and I am glad that she was able to attend the debate between Hynes and Quinn. I thank the Quinn camp for helping to increase awareness about Midge and her plight. Indeed health care reform is very important and hits close to home for so many people in our state. I’m sure that many will relate to Midge’s story.

14. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:04 pm:

So Hynes punked Quinn again. Happy campaign trails to you!

Gee Dan, thanks for all that! You showed me that I’d rather have a comatose governor than a robotic governor - oh, and dude, I think you lost a screw somewhere…

15. - Small Town Liberal - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:16 pm:

- To the person I just deleted, that was a direct quote. Also, it’s a widely used term, usually in derision, but still widely used. -

Did you upset a teabagger Rich?

16. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:17 pm:

No. One got upset at me.

17. - Anon - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:24 pm:

Rich,

How did the woman’s daughter-in-law die from “lack of insurance”? She said the daughter-in-law was in intensive care for 55 days. She was clearly hospitalized somewhere. Was she put out on the street or something for not being able to pay? Something is missing here.

18. - ChiTownguy - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:30 pm:

I was about to ask same question as “Anon 4:24 PM.”

My heart goes out to this woman, but I believe a few more facts would help and improve her appeal as she didn’t connect all of the dots.

19. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:33 pm:

A simple Google search would’ve found this… http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/midgehough/gGM4gX

20. - Will County Woman - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:40 pm:

Ya know Anon,

I kinda wondered the same thing initially, but I didn’t want anybody to accuse me of attacking Midge.

Since President Bill Clinton made such an uproar about a young teenage kid who practically died at the front door of Ravenswood Hosptial because he did not have health insurance and was refused service, didn’t it become illegal for hospitals to refuse people care in emergency situations simply because they lacked insurance?

Jenny would have had to at least been stable and “well enough” by hospital standards, which may be the problem here, in order to be released.

21. - 47th Ward - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:45 pm:

===didn’t it become illegal for hospitals to refuse people care in emergency situations simply because they lacked insurance===

That is the current “public option” for health care in the US. Don’t have insurance, get really really sick, then show up at an ER for “free care” that the rest of the public pays for.

Yes, it sounds counterintuitive, but lack of health insurance is a public health epidemic and it causes death. I applaud people like Midge for getting up and telling her story.

22. - HearMeRoar - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:48 pm:

To Anon @4:24
    Emergency care is not the same as healthcare.

A young man I know was misdiagnosed at three different Emergency Rooms as having bronchitis.

NOT bronchitis. His hemoglobin level was 3.7 (should be 14-18). He was transfused and released a few days later.

And re-admitted three hours later with a massive pulmonary embolism. Which would have killed him had he not lived a block from the hospital.

The pulmonary embolism infarcted. Clots kept forming.

A year later, he still doesn’t know what is wrong with him. He is told to just keep taking blood thinners and pray.

He doesn’t qualify for Medicaid, since he is 23 and has no dependents.

So, no answers for him. All the hospitals will do is stabilize him and shove him out the door.

That is not my idea of “health care.”

23. - Will County Woman - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:54 pm:

“Today we held the memorial service for my 24 year old daughter in-law and her unborn baby girl. Jenny did not have health insurance and was not properly treated at for-profit ER. Within 24 hours she went to the next ER and was diagnosed with severe double pneumonia, Septic shock and Respitory failure and laid in an ICU unit for the next two months at a cost of $22,000. a day.” Midge Hough

So Jenny received treatment, but Midge alleges that the treatment was insufficient. I wonder if she filed a medical malpratice suit? And, if so what was the outcome. Assuming that the first hospital acted in error and it was proven the $22,000 point she makes should have been moot. Those medical expenses should have been covered by a settlement or award.

you guys are right…something is not quite right with this story. maybe it’s the way that her story has been presented/slanted by the Quinn camp and general the political threater aspect at play here. I dunno. whatever.

even if there is something not quite right here, I still think it’s great that Midge is involved in the health care reform because I do genuinely think that healthcare reform is important.

24. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 4:56 pm:

===Those medical expenses should have been covered by a settlement or award. ===

Cold comfort when somebody is dead.

25. - Will County Woman - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:03 pm:

rich, that’s so true. please don’t misunderstand me I was only referring to the medical bills @ 22K and alleviate the financial burden related to jenny’s medical care.

I think what happened to Jenny and the baby was very unfortunate, whether it was a matter of medical malpractice or lack of insurance or whatever.

26. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:09 pm:

Before you go shooting from the hip at this woman, try a basic Google search. Her daughter-in-law lived in Indiana… http://www.womensinternationalnews.com//30/51/One-Family-s-Insurance-Nightmare/

27. - Anon - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:30 pm:

Rich, please know I was not doubting this woman’s plight, nor was I trying to diminish the story. I was curious as to how someone can “die from lack of insurance” when she was admitted to a hospital and spent 55 days there. At $22,000 per day, that’s a terrible bill her family has to face after her passing. But to me, there is two issues at play here. She was treated, albiet allegedly poorly. And her estate has a large bill to confront.

But I really didn’t mean to diminsh this woman’s plight nor her family’s. I thank God every day that I have good insurance.

28. - Conservative Republican - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:34 pm:

Re, “shooting from the hip”

This lady is starting to look an awful-lot like a Cindy Sheehan on health care: posting on the Obama website, prominently displaying professionally made “health care political reform” signs on her You Tube video, claiming the “teabaggers out to get me” (no proof, by the way), a little too practiced in her presentations, etc. Hey, its a free country, but one must consider the whole picture…. if she is truly a professional protester ( or shilling for an organization), she sure made both Hynes and Quinn look like chumps. I’ve got a problem if she pestered the Governor with a false claim of harassment.

29. - Radical Moderate - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:41 pm:

I was at a Dan Lipinski Town Hall meeting this past Monday where the Teabaggers showed up and rudely laughed at Midge when she very calmly told her story. Midge was all class.

The Southtown Star did a decent job writing about the Lipinski Town Hall meeting - explained that Lipinski kept his cool and calmly answered questions even while the Tea Party partisans were interrupting people and hurling insults.

30. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 5:41 pm:

===she sure made both Hynes and Quinn look like chumps.===

Yeah. Boy. Her daughter-in-law is dead, her son is left to care for their other baby, and she’s a professional protester who made chumps outta Quinn and Hynes.

Stay with that line. You’ll go soooo far.

Sheesh.

31. - Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 6:09 pm:

“This lady is starting to look an awful-lot like a Cindy Sheehan on health care:”

I’m wondering how you would react in that situation?
    Rightly or wrongly, she sees this as a result of a lack of insurance; you wouldn’t go after a family members killers with all due fury?

I thought ‘conservative republicans’ cared deeply for unborn children; maybe you should just consider this an abortion that the hospital and the insurance industry forced on her…

32. - more courage - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 6:12 pm:

Ironically, I did a google search but I missed that article. I do recommend that people read the article you linked to, truly a sad case.

Lets not jump to the conclusion that the public option is the only answer. So many rungs on the ladder. If we had a better job climate in Illinois, maybe people wouldn’t move to Indiana looking to improve their lives.

Public option may be one alternative, but don’t forget in the pending federal legislation it is partial paid for by Medicare cuts. We’ll be back here having this conversation again the first time a Medicare enrollee has an adverse medical outcome because they couldn’t find a doctor willing to treat them.

33. - quinn fan - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 6:43 pm:

a sad story for her and all involved in her terrible ordeal.

34. - Way South of the Border - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 6:49 pm:

Okay, first, for the compassionate folks who are questioning a dead pregnant woman’s health deficiencies, I have two words for you: Dick Cheney. He is living proof that people with serious health challenges can, with good medical care, survive. Why shouldn’t she have had the best care as well?

Re the video, Elizabeth Bracket’s eyes are often closed too. You could come up with a “reporter sleeping on the job” video about her just as easily, and just as unfairly.

Gotta say, it is like yesterday’s QOTD never happened. Very sad.

35. - Way South of the Border - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 8:06 pm:

Anonymous 7:17pm, here is your nexus from yesterday’s QOTD, and my question about compassion’s fleeting nature:

- Really? - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 6:39 am: …how great that you turned this into a very compassionate blog thread.

- And I Approved This Message - Wednesday, Nov 18, 09 @ 6:08 pm: This puts a lot of other seemingly “important” things in proper perspective. I’m sure by mid-morning tomorrow people will be at each other’s throats but this was a great coming together.

Indeed.

I would maintain that if Dick Cheney had a uterus, he would never have lacked prenatal care.

And without a uterus (or a heart) he would have never suffered from untreated pneumonia.

Moms and kids die, now, in this country, for the lack of a proper health care system. That’s a fact.

36. - Louis Howe - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 8:16 pm:

The health debate boils down to whether basic health care is a fundamental right or a priviledge. Everything else is balderdash.

37. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 8:33 pm:

People, I’ve deleted several comments tonight from some who just want to assume facts not in evidence or who want to unfairly criticize somebody for trying to right what she believes to be a wrong.

I’m not going to allow personal attacks on, or snide comments about this woman or her dead daughter-in-law. Be respectful, or go away. Simple as that. You don’t have to agree with her, but you don’t have to be jerks about it, either. Sheesh.

38. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 8:51 pm:

Rich, I am Anon 7:17. I did not attack the woman in any way, shape or form, nor were my comments snide. Sorry you took it that way. I believe I said I had empathy for the woman and her family. Nor was I a jerk. You should probably shut this thread down if you want to draw conclusions about what my intentions were. If what I said warranted deletion, I failed to see the reason why. I think there was a valid point to be made about whether the woman’s daughter in law received proper medical attention, with insurance or not.

39. - Nuance - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 9:23 pm:

Rich, please tell me where my post assumed facts not in evidence, “unfairly” criticized someone or had any personal attack or snide comment towards this woman or her daughter-in-law?

Just because I stated what I would have done in this situation doesn’t mean I sit in judgment on someone else’s whose actions were different. That would be wrong.

If I am guilty of any of those claims then I apologize and will willingly shut up.

40. - wordslinger - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 10:12 pm:

So are some here assuming that if you don’t have health insurance, you still get the best care?

Years ago, my daughter broke her arm. I have Blue Cross PPO. At the emergency room, through some screwup, they kept assuming I had Humana HMO.

Every step of the way, when they thought I had Humana, we were treated like dirt. When I flashed my Blue Cross card, it was champagne and caviar.

You think you’re getting the best treatment without insurance? Unbelievable. Talk about rationed care.

41. - Sweet Jane - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 10:52 pm:

@Conservative Republican 5:34PM

There is video of the teabaggers at Lipinski’s forum laughing at this woman as she talked about her dead daughter in law last weekend. Hopefully you have as much a problem with that vile behavior as you do with Midge’s advocacy work since her daughter’s death.

42. - Sweet Jane - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 11:22 pm:

Sorry, I didn’t capture the entire URL above. It should be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlLyELifA0

43. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 19, 09 @ 11:47 pm:

Anonymous 8:51 is not the REAL Anonymous–just in case that wasn’t evident.

44. - WizzardOfOzzie - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 12:00 am:

WCW, you’re special.

It was nice of Hynes to make political hay of this woman’s story. The Governor took the time to offer her assistance. Does Dan have a video of his offer of help?

There is a certain stench coming from the 19th ward offices. Smells like desperation. If you subscribe it’s pretty easy to understand why this video surfaced.

45. - WizzardOfOzzie - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 12:01 am:

Oh, and still waiting for the unedited version.

46. - Nuance - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 7:07 am:

Rich, I reread what I posted late yesterday in the light of day and you should have deleted it.

Sorry. I deserve a PUI (posting under the influence)! One too many glasses of wine.

Again sorry.

47. - Cindy Lou - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 9:02 am:

psst, anonymous at 11:47 pm, would it not just save some finger wear n tear if you just added something like ‘1st’ behind your original tag name? You’d keep your tag and not have to clarify everytime someone posts without leaving a name that it was not you.

48. - Conservative Republican - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 10:10 am:

Ms. Hough’s loss is terribly tragic, no question.

But she is putting herself on the firing line, just like the Tea Party folks are, and her loss should not be an insulation from fair questions. Rich Miller says “sheesh” to my first points, but does not address any of the questions.

Will Co Woman is right — no one “dies” as a direct result of lack of insurance. One “dies” from fatal disease or injury. Ms. Hough’s daughter was in care for 55 days. It is a fair question to ask whether ANY treatment protocol would have saved her and her child — I am not even clear as to what the daughter’s diagnosis was or what she was suffering from.

For those who are embracing, like Ms. Hough, the unproven premise that government health care would have “saved” her daughter, the same system would undoubtedly kill others. My uncle in Britain was left to die in hospital for three months under the NHS, due to his age (79) (sorry, chap, rationing you know) and it is only due to a “miraculous” turnaround (as my cousins have dubbed it) that his condition improved and he was released. I wonder if Ms. Hough is willing to get her son in law to disclose her daughter’s full chart to let all determine whether there was any genuine deprivation of care which resulted in her daughter’s death– I am willing to bet that her doctors were much more proactive than my uncle’s in trying to save her.

49. - Anonymous - Friday, Nov 20, 09 @ 11:25 am:

You know, Cindy Lou, I’ve been thinking about that. (And obviously since you’re new, you probably don’t know that that handle’s been mine for years and there’s really never been any confusion before.)

And yes…psst…it would make life easier, but since it seems we have a bunch of new posters on here who are now posting under “Anonymous”, their doing so isn’t going to make our discussion easier, is it?

* *** UPDATED *** THIS JUST IN... Judge orders permanent stay on pension law
* Today's number: 10 percent
* Unclear on the concept
* Could be a big day
* Illinois leaders react to Obama's immigration order
* TrackBill – An Introduction
* Caption contest!

* Google’s Nexus 6 Might Be Too Big For Right Now, But Right-Sized For The Future
        * You Should Play: Monster Strike is a delightful mashup of monster battles and pinball
        * HTC Desire Eye Review: Welcome to the (selfie) machine
        * The Week in iPad Cases: Extra storage, ultra rugged, and everything in between
        * Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
        * Do you really care about health tracking wearables?
        * Weekend Game Getaway: Kingdom Rush Origins, Soulcalibur Sale