* A reader loaded the Bill Brady vs. Pat Quinn debate onto his Vimeo account. The YouTube process was just taking too long. Watch it…
* Progress Illinois has posted some handy snippets. Here’s Brady talking about being the “jobs governor“…
* Gov. Quinn attacks Brady for living in a “pretend world” which “doesn’t exist” regarding his budget ideas…
* The governor blasted Brady for being a “career politician” in Springfield 17 years over and over again during the debate, including in this clip “Perish the thought if he was ever governor,” Quinn said of Brady…
* AP: Brady, Quinn trade barbs about economy at debate
* WBEZ: Sharp Differences Between Quinn, Brady in First Debate: QUINN: Last time I checked people in Illinois pay a lot of that money to get federal government in taxes. And we’re entitled to get some of that money back.
* Tribune: Brady, Quinn lash out at each other at Chicago forum
* Sun-Times: Gov. Quinn at debate: Brady ‘doesn’t have a heart’
* Progress Illinois: Job Creation Dominates First Guv Debate: Quinn wasted few opportunities to bash Brady for that tax platform, which he said would help “multi-millionaires” and Brady’s “friends.” He also called Brady out for his failure to produce a detailed budget plan, a criticism the Republican has faced for months. “We’ve got to have someone with common sense,” Quinn quipped, “not nonsense.”
And based solely on CapitolFax, I have sworn off any video with a banjo in it. Thanks for always identifying these banjo videos as such, Rich, I’d hate to click on accidentally.
- grand old partisan - Wednesday, Sep 29, 10 @ 3:46 pm:
Does 17 years in Springfield amount to a “career?” Sure. But Pat Quinn has been working in and around politics – including being a candidate/officeholder himself – for over 30 years. What’s more, politics is the ONLY career Pat Quinn has ever had, something cannot be said about Brady. So for Quinn to repeatedly attack Brady as the “career politician” is just mind-bogglingly obtuse.
The problem is that Brady claims he isn’t a career politician….everyone here seems to agree that he is. And yes, 17 years would seem to make a career.
- grand old partisan - Wednesday, Sep 29, 10 @ 3:56 pm:
Niles, Quinn graduated from college in 1980, and has worked either as a political operative/aide or been running for office himself non-stop ever since. His private law practive and adjunct professorship have hardly constituted a “career” in the way that Bill Brady’s long-running, successful family has. I stand by my comment - Pat Quinn has had no other career than politics. So for him to attack Brady as a “career politican” is utterly hypocritical.
I’ve been listening to the local radio all afternoon and haven’t heard anything about what either Quinn or Brady said. All that’s being reported is Rich Whitney whining for being able to participate. The stories even include a plug for his website if people want to learn more about his positions.
- Give Me A Break - Wednesday, Sep 29, 10 @ 5:35 pm:
MrJM: If there was a clip of Rod playing the banjo it would not be a hate crime it would be a crime against humanity. Blago Banjo Bashing.
—- “We’ve got to have someone with common sense,” Quinn quipped, “not nonsense.”—
So I guess Quinn is voting for Whitney like a lot of other Dems.
Anyway, I found this painful. I hope Levois was using sarcasm. I don’t want to see anymore of this unless Cohen gets invited because I would love the carnie atmosphere involved. Anyway, I did not see a winner at this debate. Predictable.
But i must disagre with Cincy and Give me a break. As a fan of cringe humour, I say more banjo less politics on the blog.
What’s with the banjo hating? It’s like Blues, Jazz and baseball, American originals.
One early Sunday morning a few years back, I was rolling out of the hills near Gettysburg on the way to Camden Yards for a Yankees/Orioles game, digging to the banjo and guitar of Flatt and Scruggs on the radio.
Driving along on the ridge, down in the valley you could see a little white church with a cross and a tiny congregation mulling about.
Gettysburg. Flatt and Scruggs. Church. Baseball. Brother, that’s living the American way.
- Give Me A Break - Wednesday, Sep 29, 10 @ 9:20 pm:
wordslinger, my neighbor is an American Original too, and I don’t like her either. If she ever takes up the banjo I may move to Oklahoma. Hey, where is “moving to oklahoma”?
Brady was presentable… but empty…just like his suit. He wasn’t throwing stones, ping-pong balls… maybe. But he sure tried to make them sting…and who are these mythical/magical “Directors”?
Quinn is sounding better… more organized..seems like he knows what he’s talking about, regardless of what you think about his approach/policies. He breaks late, so watch this one coming out of the last turn.
I just watched the whole debate. Brady never answered Quinn’s recurring criticism about his lack of accomplishments after 17 years in Springfield. In the course of the debate Quinn rattled off his old wins (CUB, cutback, ending advance pay) along with his wins as Gov — historic pension reform, capital plan, ethics reform, etc. Brady is good at slogans and platitudes — but really, I didn’t hear him (and I’ve never heard his supporters) outline any significant accomplishments from his career in public office. This will haunt him as the debates continue.