Gill still won’t concede, Plummer won’t man up

Thursday, Nov 8, 2012

* Democrat David Gill has still not yet conceded to Rodney Davis in the 13th Congressional District. But the AP reports that Jason Plummer has finally conceded defeat

A Republican lumber company executive is conceding defeat in a southern Illinois congressional race.

Jason Plummer made Wednesday’s announcement a day after voters in the 12th Congressional District elected Democrat Bill Enyart, a Belleville lawyer who has headed the Illinois National Guard. The Green Party’s Paula Bradshaw finished third.

Plummer says in a one-paragraph statement e-mailed to The Associated Press that he thanks the thousands of supporters, volunteers and friends who backed his campaign.

He noted that while Democrats have held the seat since World War II, he’s proud of his bid to replace outgoing Democratic Rep. Jerry Costello and hopes “southern Illinoisans can work together the solve the serious problems facing the region.”

I checked with the Bill Enyart campaign again this morning and they have not yet received a concession call from Plummer. So, he may have conceded to the AP, but he has yet to show some class and reach out to the guy who beat him.

Gill, by the way, was said to be “resting” yesterday and “spending time with his family.” He should be more than rested enough today to pick up the phone and call Rodney Davis.

1. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:10 am:

Totally agree. If we can’t trust these guys to show some backbone and be gracious in defeat, we could have expected similar wilting in Washington if they had won and had to make tough decisions there. Really says something about their character, and it’s not good.

2. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:13 am:

“But I ‘done wanna’ conceit, Dad … You promised I ‘won haveta’ git up there and conciet … you promised Dad … you Promised!!!”

@FakeJasonPlummer - Hey @Capitolfax, I sent the AP my concession. The next concession I will be involved with is the concession stand @ U of I Basketball #JasonLovesComboMeals

@FakeJasonPlummer - Congressman-Elect Enyart, I want to congratulate you - for wating for something you know what happen! #TakeMyBallAndGoHome

@FakeJasonPlummer - ‘PlummerPoll’, should I, ‘A’, just concede, ‘2′, Hold out and look petty, or ‘D’, Go to DisneyWorld? #YourVoteForMeCountsThisTime

@FakeJasonPlummer - My goal in NOT conceding is to embarrass everyone who stuck there neck out for me. So there! #EmbarrassingFamilyAndFriendsRule

@FakeJasonPlummer - I will concede, can Oswego Willy write it first? #HappyBirthdayWillyOleBoy

@FakeJasonPlummer - I do not want to concede, then I will have to shut down my fake twitter! #KeeepingTheComedyRolling

3. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:21 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - I am sure me NOT conceding to the former General Of the IL Natl Gueard will go well next time I go to to Drill. #JasonLovesMakingLifeToughOnJason

@FakeJasonPlummer - How do you ‘Cut and Paste’ concession speeches? Lincoln’s to Douglas looks good enough! #EvenJasonIsTiredOfJasonisms

@FakeJasonPlummer - Tweet me words you want in my concession. I have ‘Palm tree’, ‘wheel barrel’, and ‘cannoli’ (thanks OW!). Tweet me yours. #ConcessionsCanBeFunAndSilly

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad says I have nothing to be ashamed of. Can someone tell me what in the Sam Hill is Dad talking about? #JasonIsObliviousAsUsual

4. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:24 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer Dear AP, @oswegowilly is not going to have me to kick around anymore #GoingGolfingWithTom

5. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:26 am:

@FakeDavidGill It could happen #GoWorkYourProvisionals

@FakeDavidGill Perhaps I can run for state senate next #WorkedForADifferentGuy

6. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:30 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - I heard this when I was on the Illini Student Council, “Concessions are for Quitters.” #ILikeBeingSnarkyAndPettyWhenILose

@FakeJasonPlummer - I want to thank @Capitolfax for giving me more press! #ThereIsNoSuchThingAsBadPress

@FakeJasonPlummer - If I concede, does that mean I can’t run again?#ElectionRulezAreConfusing

@FakeJasonPlummer - Once I concede, @Capitolfax, I have to show up at one of the lumberyards everyday. NOW do you understand? #EverydayWithoutAConcessionIsAHoliday

@FakeJasonPlummer - ‘Jason’ only says Kool stuff, I make others say stuff that isn’t kool or sounds like it may hurt. #TakingTheEasyWayIsTheJasonWay

7. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:33 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Hey, @FakeDavidGill, you wanna come over and hang? I got a flat screen at one of my houses, I think? #MakingFriendsLikeDadBegsMeToDo

8. - Loop Lady - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:41 am:

full of themselves and no class whatsoever…

9. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:44 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Ok, now I getting calls from LOTS of peope about this. Guess who is popular now? #FinallyTheKoolKid

@FakeJasonPlummer - Dad, quit sending me bills for stuff. You said YOU would pay, remember? #JasonHasTheAlligatorArmsNotDad

@FakeJasonPlummer - I just wanted to remind the ILGOP SCC, I have a lot to offer the GOP in IL. #DadsWalletIsHuge

@FakeJasonPlummer - @FakeDavidGill, Getting snaks for one of the houses(?), are you a ‘chip’ or ‘pretzel’ guy? #JasonDoesntUnderstandLifeMovesOn

@FakeJasonPlummer - Reading the ‘Lincoln’ Book for inspiration, but getting side tracked coloring in all the black & white photos. #EitherGetJasonbooksWithColorPicturesBookOrColoringBooks

10. - Precinct Captain - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:49 am:

Classless, both on the parts of Gill and Plummer.

11. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:52 am:

@FakeDavidGill sorry @FakeJasonPlummer can’t come over right now, looking at the numbers again #HasToBeABugInExcel

12. - OneMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:54 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer Anyone have the General’s number? #reallyIwantToCall

13. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:56 am:

Plummer sounds like the chubby rich kid who, if he couldn’t win, would just take the ball home….

14. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:58 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - @FakeDavidGill - I took Excel in Kollege, and I know Dad has a spare laptop or two. Want me to come over, and help? #JasonIsBeingBiPartisan

15. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:02 am:

16. - Mr. Upset - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:03 am:

David Gill should accept defeat. I believe this really says something about a man’s character. Glad it worked for Rodney Davis. Jason Plummer should gain local experience in government, if that is his career objective. Most people don’t start at the top, unless money can buy winning votes.

17. - Team Sleep - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:11 am:

Mr. Upset - we tried talking Jason into running for a local seat. Anything other than Lite Guv or Congress. He could’ve made a dent against Jay Hoffman or Bill Haine. He could’ve followed in the steps of John Shimkus and been elected to a Madison County office and been the only GOP flagbearer. Hell - if he had run for county board, he would’ve been a shoo-in. Nope. He thought he could win statewide and it cost his dad millions to indulge Jason’s political aspirations. Peter Fitzgerald did it the right way.

18. - Cheswick - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:30 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - Anyone wanna have a fun raiser with me?

19. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:44 am:

@FakeJasonPlummer - @RealArthurAndersen, “LMAO” is not a real word, get a dictionary, Geez! #DontQuestionJasonOnSpellingAA

20. - Likeable Enough - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:48 am:

There is a bit of a difference between the two. Plummer admits he lost, but isn’t doing the next thing people with class do upon losing. Gill has not yet admitted he’s lost. He might be way off-base to think that — I honestly don’t know — but based on votes still not counted, the man thinks he still has a shot of winning. Fair enough, if you ask me. If Gill is a class act, he’ll call and congratulate Davis shortly before or after he concedes defeat publicly. Let’s not lump him in with Plummer just yet!

21. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:53 am:

@FakeDavidGill But, the DCCC even said I was serious this time. How could I lose a swing district running to the left of Jan Schakowsky. It doesn’t make any sense.

22. - Pot calling kettle - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:59 am:

If a race is very close, like Gill’s, I have no problem with the candidate waiting. I thought Gill should have backed off from is opponent last Spring. Even if the likelihood is slim, I like to see folks wait on the very close ones.

23. - x ace - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:00 am:

Punks and Dr.’s ain’t high on my list anyway. But it does show that stupidity is Bipartisan.

24. - The Captain - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:10 am:

@FakeDavidGill Oh … so this is why anyone with half a brain tried to run me out of the primary.

25. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:25 am:

The Gill race is not close enough by any sane counting for him to win. He’s just being a jerk about it, which isn’t surprising. Either that, he’s not very good at math, and should ask for a refund on the tuition he paid for that math degree he likes to brag about

26. - East Sider - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:32 am:

Rich, I think you need to give some full disclosure as you continue your disdain for Plummer. Like maybe your Edwardsville connections?

27. - Jason McGrath - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:35 am:

I don’t normally like commenting on races I’m involved in, but I just want to point out that Jason Plummer is the 21st century version of Francis Buxton.

NOTE: This decidedly does not make the General Pee-Wee Herman.

28. - Rich Miller - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:43 am:

ES, you apparently weren’t around here two years ago. Bite me.

29. - Demoralized - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:46 am:

@East Sider:

This disdain for Plummer is well deserved. Especially with his refusal to call Enyart.

30. - Madison - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:48 am:

Sleep Plummer is a legend in his own mind, and a guy that delusional learns only one way, if at all. The premise that he could have made any headway in this election cycle against Dan or Bill, or is a “shoo-in” for anything except laughingstock of the highly regarded Madison GOP is a little delusional as well. Just because the lights are on, doesn’t necessarily mean that anybody’s home.
    Back to yard Jason, and take your goofy right-wing friends withbyou.

31. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:52 am:

- East Sider -,

Jason lost, he needs to concede, he needed to concede for 2 days now, and show some class that Robert Plummer could be proud of after all Robert Plummer worked for and achieved.

If you don’t think Jason Plummer doesn’t ask for this or brings this upon himself since March 2010, then I can’t help you.

Good Luck.

32. - Ron Burgundy - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 11:56 am:

This former Metro East born and raised (in a GOP family) guy thinks Plummer deserves every bit of the disdain he’s getting here and elsewhere. Having basic decency and class isn’t a partisan issue.

33. - Capitol View - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 12:12 pm:

Perhaps Gill is finally realizing what a weak campaign he ran. His winning opponent was Tea Party, but Gill never labeled him as such. Davis’ ads showed him “concerned about cancer” and coaching kids in softball.

Davis can be beat next time, after he establishes a voting record, but Gill does not appear to be the person to do it.

34. - Madison - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 12:14 pm:

ES If anybody is going to miss Jason, it will be Rich Miller and Oswego Willy. Jason is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

35. - ArchPundit - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 12:21 pm:

@fakedavidgill why should I concede? It’s not like I ever stop running. I have just moved into the 2014 frame of mind.

36. - Lester Holt's Mustache - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 12:36 pm:

I actually went around knocking on doors for Gill Tuesday, so as a supporter I would like to say -

Dr. Gill: You look like an ass at this point. Stop being an idiot and concede the race already. I know the red-head and the young guy with the beard from DCCC keeps telling you there is a chance, but they are wrong. You need to stop listening to them and give it up already.

37. - Seth - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 12:57 pm:

As a blue blood democrats, Dr Gill please man and own up. You lost. Accept it and move on.

38. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 1:02 pm:

Realistic public: lDr. Gill, the odds there are enough votes out there for you to win are about 1 in a million”

Delirious David Gill: “So you’re telling me there’s a chance….Yeah!!”

39. - cover - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 1:14 pm:

Jason Plummer, son of a lumber tycoon, with no obvious qualifications for anything. I can’t help thinking of the conversation early in Caddyshack between Danny Noonan and Ty Webb.

Danny: “I haven’t even told my father about the scholarship I didn’t get. I’m gonna end up working in a lumberyard the rest of my life.”

Ty: “What’s wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards?”

Danny: “I notice you don’t spend too much time there.”

Ty: “I’m not sure where they are.”

40. - jake - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 1:19 pm:

I know David Gill, and like and respect him and voted for him in both the primary and the general election. He is making a mistake in how he is handling this situation, but I also think it is a mistake to kick people when they are down. David should call Rodney to congratulate him on his campaign and his apparent win, but leave the door open for the statistically unlikely event that the provisional ballots will close the gap. Everybody else should let up a bit.

41. - Arthur Andersen - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 2:13 pm:

14 minutes-wingnut comment to Bite Me. A well oiled machine, indeed.

42. - One of Three Puppets - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 2:42 pm:

I get that Gill has an issue calling. Heck it will be the 4th time that he has had to do it and this time he was ohh soo close. LOL.

43. - T.J. - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 5:22 pm:

“His winning opponent was Tea Party, but Gill never labeled him as such.”

Just like Bob Dold was Tea Party.

Props to Lester Holt’s Mustache for telling it like it is. Perhaps Lester Holt’s Mustache should’ve been the nominee.

44. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:52 pm:

Good Lord people, think a moment, will ya?
    Plummer thought he would be the Lt. Governor now, not a two time loser.

Brady was expected to win, remember?

So, Plummer had his sights set on getting elected to something and just when everyone thought he would, he loses.

Two years later, it happens again. Thought he won it, then loses again.

It is too easy to sit back and nag about Plummer, but it wasn’t your time, money or effort that has been spent over the past two years, for naught.

It is OK for him to not handle what he has gone through over the past two years with a fake smile on his face. He’s dopey, a little stunned, but was as sincere as anyone else running for office.

I hope he doesn’t run for anything again, and I hope he is happy with whatever he ends up doing.

But enough already.

45. - VanillaMan - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 9:57 pm:

Same with Gill.
    He lost.
    And again.
    And again.

We have to stop when the election ends. There is no need to keep kicking losing candidates after they suffer campaign loses.

Have a heart.

46. - Anonymous - Thursday, Nov 8, 12 @ 10:56 pm:

Too stupid…

47. - Not so loyal subject - Friday, Nov 9, 12 @ 12:17 am:

Even though the prince shames the him, King Robert continues to expand his palace overlooking his fuedal pfifedome of McMansions. It’s good to be the King. Pfffftttt…

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* ZeroLemon battery cases for Galaxy Note 5, S6 Edge Plus now on Amazon
* [Deal] Save up to 50% off SwiftKey keyboard themes for Black Friday
* Mozilla doesn’t need Google’s financial support to keep going anymore
* Viber now lets you attach files, retrieve and delete sent messages
* [Deal] Need an activity tracker? Fitbit devices discounted by multiple retailers
* Cortana iOS beta starts heading out to first wave of testers
* [Deal] Save on these Quick Charge 2.0 chargers from Tronsmart

* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal

* Time for Rauner, leaders to get down to busines.....
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian.....

* EXCHANGE: Highland art teachers exhibit works on campus
* Police make arrest in killing of Chicago 9-year-old boy
* Mascoutah burglary victim shot in 1st night at new home
* Closing of 2 Illinois harness racing tracks opposed
* Landfill cleanup to idle Rockford area sledding hill
* Hunters find body of missing southern Illinois woman
* EXCHANGE: Augustana digitizing Hauberg glass plate images
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees
* Illinois high court takes Moline company's tax break appeal
* Boone County jail inmate charged with attacking guard

* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion

* Retailers ready for shooting protests
* Mag Mile tied up by protest over Chicago teen's shooting
* Review: Sociale in the South Loop
* Her Barbie was a lawyer. Now she defends victims' rights
* Meet the guy making money off your food scraps

* In wake of dashcam video, Emanuel must navigate political minefield
* White House under holiday lockdown after man jumps fence
* Trevor Daley turning the corner at both ends of the ice
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees
* Brown: Simeon basketball players bring their A-game to court
* 16 reasons every Blackhawks fan should be thankful on Thanksgiving
* Blackhawks cool off Sharks; Kane extends point streak to 17
* Four more Laquan McDonald police dashcam videos released
* President Obama: ‘Disturbed’ by Laquan video, grateful for ‘peaceful’ protests
* Black leaders call for Supt. McCarthy to resign

* Fire officials: Boy fatally shot on West Side
* Live Blog: Mag Mile marchers protest Laquan McDonald shooting
* Hundreds close stores, march on Mag Mile to protest Laquan McDonald killing
* Man charged in slaying of 9-year-old Tyshawn Lee, warrant issued for second suspect
* Gliniewicz notoriety hangs over Fox Lake police's future

* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Eugene Robinson: The GOP's political correctness dodge
* Douglas Holt: Woman's protest of Trump was misguided, inappropriate
* George Will: Muzzling pet advice another case of free speech erosion
* Bernard Schoenburg: Josh Langfelder took father's advice on election petition signatures
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Michael Gerson: The Trump effect, still 'understated'

* Tom's Mailbag, Nov. 27, 2015
* LIVE: Arcola wins state title
* Kids making oral history with StoryCorps holiday project
* #SundaySneak: Red Robin on the way?
* Closing of 2 Illinois harness racing tracks opposed
* Mascoutah burglary victim shot in 1st night at new home
* Chicago police arrest man in 9-year-old boy's fatal shooting
* Strikes on IS city, focus of international campaign, kill 8
* Protest over Chicago teen's shooting set for retail district
* Super Bowl of shopping starts

* Free community college plan in Chicago costs $3 million
* Romo out for year after 2nd collarbone injury of season
* Falcons' Freeman ruled out against Vikings with concussion
* Defense helps No. 4 Lady Vols outlast Albany 63-55
* Bills DT Williams out for season

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Letter: Sen. Durbin is right on refugee is......

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* If we are to get Goldman Sachs out of ESEA, we will have to be the ones to do it.
* Black Friday on North Michigan Avenue.
* Does America need a "council of elders"?
* Snow Money
* There's Snow Business
* Random Thoughts.
* ‘It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,’ several weeks ago!!!
* Chicago Teachers Union. “If we strike, we do so to protect our children,” says Karen Jennings Lewis.
* Resign.
* Don't Let The Turkeys Get You Down

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact