Question of the day

Friday, Nov 30, 2012

* Zorn posted some results from “The Best & Worst of Mobile Connectivity” survey by the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project

44% of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or other updates during the night. …

12% of cell owners say that people they know tell them that they are spending too much time using their phone…

9% of cell owners say that their phone makes it “a lot” harder to disconnect from work life. This concern is particularly acute among cell owners in high-income households. 7% of cell owners say that their phone makes it “a lot” harder to give people their undivided attention. 7% of cell owners say that their phone makes it “a lot” harder to focus on a single task without being distracted….

Two groups consistently stand out when it comes to their usage patterns and attitudes relating to their mobile phones — the 45% of American adults who own a smartphone and the 17% of cell owners who do most of their online browsing within the context of their mobile phone (referred to throughout this report as “cell-mostly internet users”). Compared with other cell owners, these individuals are more likely to sleep next to their phones; to check their phone frequently for messages or alerts even though they didn’t hear a notification; and to engage in a wide range of mobile activities such as accessing social networking sites or doing online banking.

* The Question: How often do you access Capitol on your mobile phone or device? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

1. - PublicServant - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:22 pm:

Rarely. Because hitting a larger computer monitor is cheaper and much more satisfying than throwing my iPhone out the window. Plus, smartphone screens are too small.

2. - train111 - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:23 pm:

Got my smart phone yesterday, so haven’t had a chance yet.
    My wife drove the change. I think it’s too much. I want a phone to call people, not all the gadgetry. Embarrasing admission: I’m an electrical Engineer by trade but my 7 year old son gets around the cell phone better than me.

3. - 47th Ward - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:26 pm:

When I’m on the go I’ll check in using my Blackberry. I can’t comment with it and when you post videos it’s hard to navigate, but it’s a good distraction on the el and when I can’t use my desktop or iPad.

4. - WhoKnew - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:27 pm:

I can relate. I never used the data plan when I had my smart phone, so I switched back to a flip phone to save the 30 bucks a month.

5. - Rich Miller - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:30 pm:

===when I can’t use my desktop or iPad. ===

Yeah, but the question includes “device,” so that would be your iPad.

6. - dave - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:30 pm:

I probably use my computer for about 40% of my CapFax reading, and my iPad and iPhone split for 30% each.

I do comment more when I am on my computer though.

7. - Wensicia - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:31 pm:

Not often, I spend most of my days in front of a computer.

8. - Sir Reel - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:32 pm:

I thought using my smart phone would make my comments smarter. Hasn’t worked so far.

9. - 47th Ward - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:33 pm:

===so that would be your iPad===

OK, but the answer is still sometimes for me. The iPad is new and I’m not dumb enough to whip that out on the el.

I’m kind of old school and prefer my desktop. I’ll miss them when they’re gone.

10. - MrJM - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:38 pm:

How often do you access Capitol on your mobile phone or device?

I never do because navigating websites on a cellphone is migraine-inducing.

– MrJM

11. - OneMan - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:38 pm:

When I am in my ’second office’ or on the train.

12. - Just the Facts - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:39 pm:

I’ll access the site from the Iphone on the train sometimes if I haven’t had a chance to look at the site on the pc at work. But, it’s difficult to read - even the mobile site - at my age.

13. - TooManyJens - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:42 pm:

I don’t use my phone for web browsing much, because I’d so much rather do that on a full screen. I use it much more for email and Twitter, and occasionally Facebook. And of course podcasts.

I sleep with my phone by my bed too, but that’s because it doubles as my alarm clock.

14. - Louis G. Atsaves - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:42 pm:

Sucks too much life out of the battery to access websites.

15. - tubbfan - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:48 pm:

When I am away from my desktop during the week and I know there are “issues” of interest being discussed, I will access CapFax via my mobile device.

16. - siriusly - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:50 pm:

47- a blackberry? really? losing respect here

I voted “sometimes” because I will use the iPhone to check for updates and once in a while to post a smart-ass comment. But still easier and better to read on the computer.

17. - Foxfire - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:51 pm:

I would access it more, but I cannot get password protected posts to work on Google Chrome.

18. - 47th Ward - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:52 pm:

Too funny Siriusly. The company upgraded me to an iPhone, but it’s still in the box. I fear change.

19. - zatoichi - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:54 pm:

Use a basic flip phone that has no mobile access. Get in front of a real screen to very easy all day.

20. - Sunshine - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 12:59 pm:

I moved my PC next to my bed so I can always have access to CapFax and never miss an update.

I move it around the house on a dolly.

I don’t like using my brick phone in public because people might think me old fashioned?

21. - On the real - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:03 pm:

Kind of hard to read on my iPhone so I very rarely access from my mobile device.

22. - Anon - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:03 pm:

Only time I really access cap fax on my phone… is when I’m using the “facilities”. Thanks for the good times!

23. - Anon - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:06 pm:

Mostly access on cell because the website crashes my Safari browser on my Mac at least half the time I try to access through my laptop. This time, it was OK, however.

24. - Arthur Andersen - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:07 pm:

Since I switched from BB to iPhone a year ago, I use the latter much more frequently to access the Fax and a couple other Websites that are fairly mobile-friendly.
    I would agree that heavy use of the little screen can be migraine-inducing. Battery drain helps avoid that though.
    Would also have to confess that posts made from iPhone are more likely to be snarky (due to brevity) than those made from big machine.

25. - Burnham the Monk - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:12 pm:

The fact that CapFax hasn’t been (re)built on responsive platform like Bootstrap or Zurb’s Foundation is a bit mystifying — especially when more folks are using phones or tablets — and expectations for smooth web experience (especially with posting and reading comments) is high.

I tried reading this on my iPhone a few weeks ago, but it’s very hard (lots and lots of pushing the page up and up and up) .

I do love the content, but the design needs to respond (much) better to the devices it’s used on. The platforms are out there and developers are always encouraged to go responsive.

My two cents …

26. - wizard - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:12 pm:

my cell phone is for phone calls only. have blocked everything else

27. - Ahoy! - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:14 pm:

rarely, I have a blackberry and it’s just not that great for Capitol Fax. Maybe if there was a moble app?

28. - Norseman - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:29 pm:

Capitol Fax is too interesting to wait until I have time in front of the desktop. Either on my tablet or smartphone.

29. - dave - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:34 pm:

** I cannot get password protected posts to work on Google Chrome.**

Really? I use Chrome on both my iPad and iPhone and haven’t had any problems with password protected posts on CapFax.

30. - Rich Miller - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:42 pm:

There will be no app until I find one that can display all my ads. No way am I going adless.

31. - Demoralized - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:44 pm:

I never look at Capitol Fax or any other internet site on my mobile device because I have a Blackberry. They are horrible for doing anything related to the internet.

32. - Quacktastic - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:48 pm:

Only one complaint to lodge. That Session live feed does bleed over onto the two columns on the right. The problem is the same on both the iPad and iPhone.

33. - Judgment Day - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:53 pm:

Desktop - probably 45% of the time.

Samsung Captivate 4G - almost never (too small screen, etc.)

Tablets (both iPad & Nexus 7) - 55%, and increasing. Normally only used for work

34. - mongo - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:54 pm:

I am surprised to be in the majority with a “never”. My reasons are simple…vision and thick fingers! And from a content perspective, I prefer to read and enjoy, which takes a moment or two, and just in my experience using a smartphone for thought provoking exchanges is ineffective.

35. - Esteban - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:55 pm:

Don’t have a cell phone and can’t think of a really good reason to get one.

36. - wordslinger - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:56 pm:

Never. I don’t even know how the can opener works.

37. - Colossus - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:04 pm:

I’m an Android guy, but I only do web stuff to fill in a few minutes here and there, so I’m stuck in a routine of what I use my phone for (Fark, Slate, Cracked, FB, and that’s about it). Plus I’m in front of a computer all day while everything’s happening here, and using the phone requires the browser and multiple clicks to get here.

Now, if there were a dedicated app that let me skip the browser I’d add it to my routine in a heartbeat. Especially if there were push notifications for new posts, or new comments on threads I’d commented on.

FWIW, Rich, I love the site and the commenters, and if no changes ever happen I’ll still be here. BUT…I’m also active on Fark, and they’ve got a great commenting system that allows the user to highlight favorite posters, ban others, or tag other posters with custom labels/colors to allow for more efficient reading on high volume threads. Not sure if you care, but I for one would be pleased to see some features like that in a future site overhaul.

38. - VanillaMan - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:13 pm:

I switched a couple years ago from desktop to mobile devises.

39. - VanillaMan - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:15 pm:

Too bad Capitolfax isn’t a can.

40. - Burnham the Monk - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:16 pm:

Realize that if you used a responsive framework, you wouldn’t need an “app”. Besides, an app for this would essentially be a wrapper around HTML — not anything native.

So why not simply reconfigure the site based on the platform — and then display the ads accordingly?

Just askin’.

41. - Rarely - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:28 pm:

I would love to access it all day long but since I have a Blackberry, probably the worst internet access phone available, well, you understand. Great for texting and emails and not much else.

42. - John A Logan - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:32 pm:

On the weekend when I am away from the office I will check the blog to make sure has not been anything major break. This weekend checking is almost always on my phone. Before I go to sleep, I will often have my phone plugged in next to me and log on before bed. I would say my interaction with the blog is 70% desktop computer and 30% mobile phone.

43. - RNUG - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:32 pm:

While I have a web browsing capable phone, I don’t use it for that purpose. These old eyes and fat fingers aren’t very compatible. Desktops and laptops work better …

44. - cermak_rd - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:33 pm:

I use my iPhone infrequently and an android tablet more frequently. Most of the time, I have a desktop or laptop in front of me though, so it’s just more convenient to use that than putting the tablet on top of the desktop’s keyboard and getting random key events.

45. - Knome Sane - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 2:47 pm:

I use my smartphone only when I want to mask my IP address when posting. Just kidding. I don’t even know what an IP address is….

46. - cover - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 3:05 pm:

I voted “never”, but that’s no offense to Rich or the blog - it’s just that I don’t have a smartphone or tablet.

47. - ChicagoGirl - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 3:10 pm:

I don’t have a smartphone or a tablet either.

48. - siriusly - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 3:13 pm:

Finally proof that Speaker Madigan reads the blog!!

“- Esteban - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 1:55 pm:

Don’t have a cell phone and can’t think of a really good reason to get one.”

49. - Rich Miller - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 3:14 pm:

lol, siriusly. MJM does have a mobile phone now. He uses it for campaign calls.

50. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 3:52 pm:

My cell is for calls and the very rare text only (old school RAZR flip). I almost exclusively use my laptop for CapFax (wifi, no internal modem).

I keep my cell by the bed, but its my only phone. When I had a land line, an extension was by the bed. What’s the big deal with keeping your phone by the bed?

51. - walkinfool - Friday, Nov 30, 12 @ 4:33 pm:

Never. Too hard to type a comment on my IPhone. and don’t have an IPad.

* This just in... $12 million contribution to Leader Durkin, $2 million to Munger
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Duckworth doesn't play in Peoria
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Let's be careful out there
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Political events calendar
* *** UPDATED x1 *** What today's cyber attack could mean for election day
* Rewriting history
* Army Corps of Engineers taking back state park
* Fire everything!!!
* More horrible pension news
* More flowery Madigan praise from Bradley
* Because... Madigan!
* Looking on the dark side
* Lawyers: Mayor Emanuel is "not a policymaker for the city"
* Duckworth has huge cash advantage
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition and a campaign roundup
* Good morning!

* T-Mobile is charging a penny a minute for “out-of-plan” numbers
* Over 100,000 iPhone 7 sales in Korea on Friday, LG V20 up 20 percent in a month
* Blass leaks Long Island project, the Huawei Mate 9 Pro
* AT&T buys Time Warner for $85 billion
* Let’s chat Nintendo Switch and LeReactions to LeEco Le Pro 3 | #PNWeekly 223
* Should Microsoft give up on Windows 10 Mobile?
* Google makes it easy to get screen replacements for the Pixel and Pixel XL

* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* International draft stands to benefit White Sox
* Davidson reflects on 'whirlwind' 2016 season
* Starting pitcher rankings: White Sox have four of them
* Podcast: 2016 Chicago White Sox Infield Review
* White Sox Rumors: Sox hire Chris Getz as new Director Of Player Dev...

* Rauner administration awards 1100 non-union wor.....
* Editorial: Rauner gets an A for closing F House.....

* The Latest: President Obama, White Sox fan, cheers on Cubs

* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget
* Survey: 386 state jobs could relocate to Springfield
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through state's stopgap spending plan

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* AT&T buying Time Warner in $86 billion deal
* It's official: AT&T buys Time Warner for $85 billion
* There's a new way to replace old gas mains—but not in Chicago
* Is Neapolitan's Kelly Golden the new reigning queen of fashion?

* Man critically wounded in Hermosa shooting
* Far-flung Cubs fans just as fanatical as Chicagoans
* Man critically wounded in Wrightwood shooting
* Man in custody after 2 shot in Englewood
* Toy companies break down barriers to be more inclusive
* Prince Albert buys Philadelphia home of mom Grace Kelly
* DJ Khaled and fiancée welcome baby boy on Snapchat
* Tyler Perry’s ‘Madea’ tops Cruise’s ‘Jack Reacher’ sequel
* Man shot in leg in Lawndale
* First-and-10: Bears still need Jay Cutler … for now

* 1 dead, 10 wounded in Sunday shootings
* In Mexico's murder capital, signs of gold rush are emerging
* On Nov. 9, let's forget Donald Trump happened
* Brent Seabrook, Michal Kempny work to overcome language barrier on ice
* Cubs World Series tickets averaging more than Super Bowl tickets, analysts say
* 13 dead, 31 injured after tour bus and semi-truck crash in California
* Brother Rice, Loyola could meet again in Class 8A football quarterfinals
* Even the Bulls are impressed by Cubs' winning ways
* Four killed, 11 wounded in citywide shootings
* Jason Hammel, Matt Szczur not playing but feel like part of Cubs' success

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our Opinion: Leslie Munger endorsed for Illinois comptroller
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Our Opinion: With poor choices, Clinton gets nod for president
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Bernard Schoenburg: DelGiorno apologizes for backer's vulgar Facebook post
* Cooler temperatures lead to greater needs
* Women for Women tops half million mark
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work

* Fire reported in Champaign
* BU seniors hope to flood South Peoria in light
* Doctors in Recital benefits music therapy, hospice care
* Mayfair Park Halloween Parade
* Attention Cubs Fans: Share your stories!
* Work crews help Moline firefighters reach building fire
* READER CALLOUT - Submit your Veterans Day activities
* Submit your Veterans Day activities
* Scarecrow Shenanigans brings families to museum
* LIVE! Selection Saturday

* Vernon Hills man, 29, identified as motorcyclist killed in Buffalo Grove crash
* For Chicago Cubs' Epstein, vision accomplished
* Chicago Cubs great Williams thinking of Banks, Santo
* Motorcyclist killed in Buffalo Grove crash
* USC suspends senior LB Jabari Ruffin indefinitely

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Photos: State's Attorney Glasgow, Senator ......

* Should A Stroke Disqualify A Candidate? - ......

* Chicago #Cubs championship history #postseason
* What a difference, a year makes
* Go #Cubs go #flythew #postseason
* Morning Minute: NAR identifies top home buyer and seller trends over last 35 years
* Illinois REALTORS® give Rep. McAuliffe IE support
* They've Got The Power, They've Got The Speed, To Be The Best In The National League
* EXTRA: It’s about time!!!
* Walls closing in on Rhonda Crawford. What should the sanction be?
* Gooseberry Playlot Nears Completion On Malden

* Illinois EPA Sponsors Interactive Environmental Education Event with Riverton Elementary School - Riverton Third and Fourth Graders “Dive In!” to Celebrate the Environment
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Honors Veteran Mr. George Pempek
* Illinois Partners with State of Telangana, India to Strengthen Smart State Initiatives - State to state agreement to accelerate opportunities and service to citizens
* Illinois EPA Announces Vehicle Emissions Testing Network Updates - New Contract to Offer More Efficient, Less Expensive Tests
* Annual Training Underway For Gas Station Owners, Service Technicans