Unclear on the concept

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013

* Ummm

A newly elected suburban state senator is rounding up fellow Illinois Republican officials to try to oust the chair of the beleaguered party over his support for legalizing same-sex marriage.

Sugar Grove dairy magnate and state Sen. Jim Oberweis emailed several fellow state central committeemen several days ago about organizing a special meeting to remove Illinois GOP chairman Pat Brady of St. Charles, the Daily Herald has learned. Brady is under fire for recent statements he made supporting same-sex marriage. […]

“All of my time is now being spent responding to emails on social issues,” he said. “I don’t think those are the most pressing issues we should be dealing with.”

If it’s so not all that important, then why spend any time on it?

Hey, I get that he’s against gay marriage. He absolutely has a right to that opinion. I get where he’s coming from on Brady. But if this isn’t a “pressing” issue, then why “press” it at all?

1. - Ahoy! - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:16 am:

Maybe because he’s lying? :)

2. - circularfiringsquad - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:22 am:

A new rampage from ChopperJim! What took so long?
    Please leave Gags Brady alone. Ds across the state are counting on him for 2014

3. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:28 am:

Oberweis should take the first 6 months and BASK in his “elected-ness”

“Yep, that is ‘Senator’ Oberweis!”

After all those elections, you finally get to be “Honorable”

To the post,

I have been one of the biggest advocates of Pat Brady being dumped.

But I refuse to make the GOP Chairman change at the tips of the pitchforks, and the light of the torches, of the conservate block of the GOP, as they advocate the shrinking of my party by not understanding that adding voters is the goal of a Party.

Oberweis’ “Tin Ear” is again making decisions that are leading to ruin, but not just for himself, but for my Party, so Purity, and Litmus Tests reign!

He has been in Springfield 10 minutes, and attempts a Coup of Radogno, without ensuring they all have the votes. (Full disclosure, I agree with the Coup, but not one bit with “those” Conspirators), has called upon the ILGOP Chair to be dumped, not becuase we lost numerous Congressional Seats, brough by the horrible GOTV, and the ILGA being veto-proofed and super-majoritied, leaving the GOP members irrelevent.

Nope, let’s add to all this because Oberweis wants the dumping because we in the ILGOP are intolerant.

Nice Month there, Ice Cream Man!

I agree with the thought that Brady has to go, but c’mon, you want it to be because of the Platform, advocating intolerance, as seen by some voters?

I do not want to hear one of these Dopes leading the ouster of Brady on the SSm issue use the “Re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic” ever to explian why they do these insaneley dopey moves. EVER. Y’all have no clue what it takes to expand the ILGOP and you are ruining my party becasue of your thought of Purity!

I want Brady gone, just not with the Press of, “ILGOP OUSTS BRADY, SHOWS INTOLERANCE”

You know Oberweis is horrible in his thoughts when Tom Cross and I agree that this tact is wrong.

Who is going to be the permanent solution now that you waited so long that its not a GOTV or Losses change? You bringin in someone as intolerant as you? As rigid as you? As more un-unifying… as you?

The Brady change should have been made well before this, and not about the SSM issue.

Discreaceful!

4. - Estubborn - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:28 am:

I think finally winning an election has gotten to his head. I think his time would be better spent preparing for session in February rather than seeking retribution over a divisive issue (which appear to be his favorite sort of issues). This is very unbecoming for the new Jim Oberweis the Tribune promised us.

5. - Cheryl44 - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:32 am:

See? This is why I don’t buy Oberweiss products. I don’t want to catch the crazies.

6. - wordslinger - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:35 am:

That’s just what the Illinois GOP needs to build a governing coalition — an internecine battle over gay marriage.

Seriously, did MJM use his Jedi Mind Tricks on Oberweis? “You will lead a self-destructive internal fight…”

Is there still a phone booth anywhere in the state for the next GOP convention?

7. - Cheswick - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:43 am:

=== “All of my time is now being spent responding to emails on social issues,” he said.

How noble of him.

8. - wishbone - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:44 am:

“Look up the definition of “ignorant”, and its meaning, and look to the side, there is Senator Oberweis.”

I would not have put it that way, but boy do I agree with it. When will Republicans learn that the rest of us don’t want them enacting their religious views into law, and can’t stand their repudiation of science e.g. climate change. Be a conservative secular party that supports science, that truly believes in liberty and in fiscal responsibility, and many would flock to your support. The angry (yeah ignorant) bigoted crew currently in charge has to go first.

9. - blogman - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:46 am:

That’s what Illinois Republicans need. Oberweiss running the Republican Party. What a bright future!

10. - Darienite - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:56 am:

==”All of my time is now being spent responding to emails on social issues,” he said. “I don’t think those are the most pressing issues we should be dealing with.”==
    Correct. You should not be spending ANY time on social issues; that’s why the GOP lost in November!!
    Spend your time on the budget, and the pension mess.

11. - Veil of Ignorance - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 11:57 am:

I hope that Oberweiss plays a more prominent role in the GOP…it’s way more entertaining and increases their chances of getting a mention on the Daily Show…or even better Colbert Report.

12. - jaranath - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:03 pm:

This is the same mindset that thinks “No, you cannot tell others what they cannot do because of your religious beliefs” is an infringement of their religious rights. They are masters of inverted logic and externalized responsibility.

Oberweis isn’t forcing Brady out. BRADY is forcing OBERWEIS to force Brady out.

13. - frustrated GOP - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:13 pm:

the Gov. doesn’t understand the connection to security and schools and unpaid state money. The GOP spends it’s time on fighting the inevitable on social issues. Hey Jim, tell (he who should not be named) Jack R. to sit down and shut up and let’s figure out how to move the State forward. I would suggest call ID to avoid the calls from Carpentersville.

14. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:14 pm:

===BRADY is forcing OBERWEIS to force Brady out===

I agree with that as well.

Brady, trying to do “good”… also got “cover” to infect the removal, making it about SSM, which is what Brady wants to be the issue for removal, and not his pitifully sad perforamce.

By making sure poeple like me do not agree with this removal, it keeps Brady in, and inoculates Brady from ANY removal now, now matter how dredful a ILGOP Chairman Brady has been, and how ridiculous his “Call me, Maybe” GOTV was.

Brady is, and was, a very real reason the losses were so catastrophic, it will take a very long time to start over, while leaving my party rutterless and canabalizing each other in the meantime.

where is that “report” Brady was preparing about “what happened?”

Great line, and I agree.

…And I still refuse to back Brady’s removal by the Pitchforks and Torches of social intolerance and the stain that removal will bring. Not that way.

15. - jaranath - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:19 pm:

Not quite my intended meaning of the line but I appreciate the appreciation nonetheless (and I’m not sure you’re wrong about Brady’s motives).

16. - Boone Logan Square - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:21 pm:

I’m guessing Oberweis Dairy is not interested in supplying to Big Gay Ice Cream.

Shame for him; they do good business.

17. - Boone Logan Square - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

==I think finally winning an election has gotten to his head. ==

I think his head was gotten to at least a decade ago.

18. - SlapSHot - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:22 pm:

Pat Brady SHOULD be removed as Chairman, not for his stance on this particular issue, but for his complete failure in the last election cycle. 2 entire rows of seats in the House chamber had to be allocated to DEMS from the GOP section - the buck has to stop somewhere and Pat Brady should man up and admit he failed as a leader in many races.

19. - D.P. Gumby - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:23 pm:

I couldn’t possibly comment, but Oscar says “Ober is crazy as a cow’s udder!”

20. - dupage dan - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:29 pm:

I agree with everything in OWs earlier post with the possible exception of his spelling of “discreaceful”. Maybe it is a compound spelling of disgraceful and peaceful, but I’m not sure.

21. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:31 pm:

===Pat Brady should man up and admit he failed as a leader in many races.===

With this new found leverage, why would Brady?

Brady is inoculated by the intolerance of the Right (Oberweis), and if Brady can … stay … to aggrivate the Right, why NOT stay?

This is called, “Senator”, …”Overplaying your hand” … you had Brady on Poor Performance, and you couldn’t get it done?

Both Brady and Oberweis are Pathetic!

22. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:33 pm:

- dupage dan -,

those who point out spelling errors, are bound to make them sometime themselves.

Food for “thoughte”

23. - dupage dan - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:38 pm:

OW - I would expect to be made a public spectacle if I were to err in spelling. Without spell check here mis-types can be humorous.

24. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:43 pm:

- dupage dan -

I can misspell just about anything.

I usually put that down as a “special skill” when asked.

25. - Hacks - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:50 pm:

Oberweis is a phenomenally successful businessman in both his dairy and investment businesses, but I agree he doesn’t seem to get politics.

I also think Brady should go, but not for the gay marriage issue. Brady has alientated sooooo many of the gop that he can not raise money or provide effective leadership.

IMO, Brady’s greatest sin is his often endorsing in GOP primaries AND then losing. So not only is there animosity with the elected official, but also all their supporters. He should make damn sure that when he endorses, he will win.

Also, the dismal performance of the GOP in the state after the last several elections lays in his lap.

The reality of the situation is that Mark Kirk is the REAL party chairman and Brady will stay as long as Kirk tolerates him.

26. - Estubborn - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:53 pm:

Having him as my Senator is stain on my community. I’m baffled that I actually miss Chris Lauzen.

27. - Liberty_First - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 12:56 pm:

Dan, It is spell-check.

28. - Formerly Known As... - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 1:07 pm:

The best part of that Daily Herald story is that they transposed the names on the photos.

Brady is “Jim Oberweis” and Oberweis is “Pat Brady”.

Kumbaya.

29. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 1:20 pm:

If Republicans lost so many seats this past election, why couldn’t we have lost that one, too?

30. - Langhorne - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 1:29 pm:

Does Chick Fil A sell Oberweis ice cream? Does Rahm allow JObie ice cream to be sold in chgo?

Way to go JObie, attempt to impose party line purity on the losing end of an issue. Grow the party thru subtraction.

31. - Norseman - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 1:32 pm:

First Lauzen and now Oberweis, what were my hometown folks thinking.

32. - zatoichi - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 1:44 pm:

How many left feet do these guys have? The party needs to come together on the 3-4 big issues and win some seats or they’ll just stay ruderless.

33. - Demoralized - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 2:29 pm:

I’ve got an idea on how to get the focus to shift: stop focusing on it. If he is spending all of his time responding to letters and e-mails on the topic he’s not going to have a very productive life as a legislator. It’s pretty easy to develop a standard response to inquiries or comments that come in droves. Maybe he needs a Legislator 101 course or a Constituent Services 101 course to help him out.

Also, it’s really not that big of a deal.

34. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 2:55 pm:

When one makes a choice to do something that seems to be so “unexpected,” then one should expect to get feedback regarding the rammifications of his action and it’s not always positive. In other words, some Rs may be wondering–aside from the good press that Mr. Brady seems to be enjoying on this topic within certain groups, what benefit there is in stirring up such controversy within his party and redirecting focus away from other topics as Mr. Oberweis has mentioned. Therefore, while you might not agree with Jim’s observation, it may still be valid from a practical perspective.

35. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:01 pm:

And you’d think that leadership would consider such feedback and address it. Possible answers are: 1) I clearly understood the rammifications and risks involved, but decided to proceed anyway; 2) I had not considered the potential impact, but will in future; 3) I’m not going to admit to anything one way or another, but if there’s a problem, let’s fix it; 4) *one finger salute*.

36. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:02 pm:

===Therefore, while you might not agree with Jim’s observation, it may still be valid from a practical perspective.===

Are you serious? Explain please …

===I could maybe understand what Mr. Brady did if he were running for office and not our Chair, but from an “operational” perspective, it could labeled “disruptive.” In some environments, people are actually obligated to raise such observations as feedback to improve operations. ===

“Wha”??????

Look, if you think it’s “practical” to look intolerat, and to look like you are throwing out your Chairman, solely on SSM when instead of performance … you are making little to no sense in expanding the big ten needed for Republicans to win.

37. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:04 pm:

And that’s assuming he cares about what people in his party think about both him and his leadership “style”.

38. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:06 pm:

39. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:08 pm:

===I wonder whether Mr. Brady is considering that there could be alot of Rs sitting on the fence regarding this latest “battle” and whom to support (beyond those who have already taken a position) and that the type of response he provides (or lack of one), might make their decision for them.===

Well,

If they move on Brady now, exlusively on SSM, the ILGOP will look Non-Inclusive, and unaware.

If you are thinking other are on the “fence” because they are afraid the Party’s removal of Brady now will make us look like dopes, then you may be right.

If you want to dump Brady solely on the SSM issue, than I guess you are not welcoming to the Reagan 80% that agree with you on everythng but SSM, and willing to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Not good for a Party looking to build.

40. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:09 pm:

lol…

So you WANT Brady gone … becasue of the SSM issue?

And how do you expect to grow the party with all your excluding of people?

41. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:12 pm:

===I did explain, Willy. Perhaps if I included a few more elipses and disconnected thoughts, that would make it easier for you to comprehend?===

Nah, I like plain speak, like

“Gay marriage is the reason I think Brady should go, and I like veiled threats of what people in the shadows might do, like cut off our noses to spite or faces to ruin the Republican Party here in Illinois…”

Ya know, stuff like that.

42. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:13 pm:

Again, it probably depends quite a bit on Mr. Brady’s leadership style and whether he wants to continue to battle this out in the media (as you seem to be suggesting), or is creative enough to somehow address his membership more “discretely.”

43. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:15 pm:

44. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

===And considering that the extremely public approach could be considered by some as tantamount to extortion, it might be wise for the GOP to consider other options.===

So, at the risk of looking intolerant, because Oberweis waited to make Brady’s removal about SSM, you want to see the change, and have that “intolerant” moniker have validity in moderate’s eyes, and Independent voter’s eyes?

That sounds like a swell idea, maybe we can get Radogno down to 12 Seats and makse sure the Mansion stays in Dem control.

That is an option …

45. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:17 pm:

46. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

===If you’re addressing me in your 3:09 post, Willy. I’ve never stated a position one way or the other. Therefore, save your “witty” remarks for chopping up other Republicans while citing Reagan’s rules. ===

Oh, I am … so, how do we look intolerant, and grow our Party …

Sorry, there was no “witty” response, I figured asking directly might get a logical answer …

47. - lincolnlover - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:21 pm:

Brady might be ineffective, but Oberweiss is downright frightening!

48. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:22 pm:

===I hope you’re not attributing that remark to me, Willy. It would only go to show how poor you actually are at “spinning.”===

Ya asked if I can read, and now you keep asking who I keep addressing … I am addressing you. How are you going to make the Party grow while excluding people who agree with you on things except on this issue?

Pretty straight-forward…

49. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:23 pm:

Willy, if you either officially or unofficially are Mr. Brady’s “defense team” (assuming he even needs), lord help the GOP.

50. - Roamin' Numeral - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 3:23 pm:

==Oberweis said Brady should be removed to get past this issue and added the state needs to focus on financial problems.==

In the spirit of “focusing on financial problems,” many of us look forward to hearing the senator’s proposed solutions to them soon. Perhaps he’ll be as public with those gems as he is being with his thoughts on Brady’s stance on SSM.

51. - Nice Kid - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 4:04 pm:

Leave it to the IL GOP hard liners to reinforce the belief that democrats are beat suited to control the IL government.

52. - LincolnLounger - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 4:09 pm:

Does anyone know if Oberweis is one who is declining GARS pension?

53. - Demoralized - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 4:14 pm:

@Anonymous:

The only one “spinning” here is you. You were asked a pretty straightforward question but are either unwilling or incapable of answer it.

If the Republican Party wants to continue to focus on this issue that’s fine. They can focus on whatever they want. But the fact remains that it just further alienates them and solidifies the belief that they are intolerant and not inclusive.

Brady might need to be taken to the woodshed for other things but certainly not for his comments on same sex marriage.

It amazes me just how much Illinois Republicans seem not to get it. Just in case they are simply oblivious and really didn’t get the memo - social issues are a LOSER.

54. - reformer - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 4:20 pm:

For Republicans who insist on fidelity to their platform, where were you when most GOP legislators voted for the Casinopalooza bills over the last few years despite the unequivocal opposition to gambling expansion in the previous platform? Do some platform violations count more than others?

55. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 4:59 pm:

Demoralized, I’m not answering the question because that’s not the issue I’m concerned with right now–at least directly. My concern is that there is a faction that seem to believe that the best approach to change is to drag the other faction to that goal, kicking and screaming, and that such an approach is somehow going to result in acceptance. Approaches like that sometimes have the opposite effect because it builds resentment and then, communications often shut down.

56. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:05 pm:

===My concern is that there is a faction that seem to believe that the best approach to change is to drag the other faction to that goal, kicking and screaming, and that such an approach is somehow going to result in acceptance.===

Here is a News Flash…

If the denial of SSM …MUST be … the rule of the GOP… you ain’t gonna add anymore voters, and you are going to alienate more of the GOP then those already following the Reagan Rule.

Tell me I have to follow, 100% of every single thing a party exudes, no matter the party, guess what, most will walk.

Even the IllinoisReview.com said the platform guides …guides.

You amke anything “required” then pretty soon, its you, and people who look, act, and think just like you and you ain’t winning anything.

Thus your “resentment” aspect …

57. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:13 pm:

So, wouldn’t you think it would make sense to NOT throw out the chairman under the guise of intolerance? Or do you think that being shown intolerant is fine and will work itself out in the wash?

58. - Anonymous - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:23 pm:

I was going to preface my response with “Don’t think me rude, Willy, but…. Instead, I’ll just say that my communications with you have now shut down…and I don’t care whether you think me rude.

59. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:25 pm:

And I will say …

With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy

BTW, I can care less if you respond, but I will respond to whatever you think is so enlightening that you can’t answer simple questions.

60. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:28 pm:

===Approaches like that sometimes have the opposite effect because it builds resentment and then, communications often shut down.===

lol kinda like YOU shutting down, “communications”!

What. A. Crock! lol

61. - Cheryl44 - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 5:34 pm:

So how many of you think Anonymous *is* Chopper Jim?

62. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 6:15 pm:

Would be fun if it was …

63. - Oswego Willy - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 6:25 pm:

Rich, Am I in “Time-Out”?

64. - walkinfool - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 6:55 pm:

Brady’s biggest strength right now, is that Oberweis doesn’t like him.

65. - steve schnorf - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 8:13 pm:

As I read things like this, I am invariably lured back to the lyrics of “Act Naturally”. Once you think about it, those two lines will come back to you time and again in so much of what we do.

66. - Excessively Rabid - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 9:23 pm:

So why don’t you quit raising these “social issues” and come up with some practical ideas for improving our fiscal problems? That might actually convince somebody to vote Republican for a change.

67. - Norseman - Thursday, Jan 24, 13 @ 10:37 pm:

Anonymous needs to go back and read this post.

Try making your points without attacking other commenters.

68. - Elder - Friday, Jan 25, 13 @ 5:10 am:

Grandma used to say, “Stupid is forever.”

So Oberweis is the Republican in Illinois MOST responsible for the alienation of Latinos with his multi-million dollar ad buys trying to scapegoat “illegal aliens”. He lit a fire under the Latino empowerment and immigrant rights movements, and they have gotten stronger every year since then. They humiliated him by revealing underpaid “illegal” workers at his ice cream shops, and then sharing the film footage with the DCCC just in time for Foster to wipe the floor with him.

Now the immigrant advocates have FOUR, count ‘em FOUR new immigrant friendly Congressmen and driver’s licenses for all…. and what is Oberweis up to????? Starting over by antagonizing gays and their many friends just when THEY are on the upswing, and further marginalizing the Republican party from moderates, young people, etc.

As Rich Miller says, “Sheesh!”

69. - Anonymous - Friday, Jan 25, 13 @ 12:11 pm:

And…this is exactly why Pat Brady should not have done what he did.

Not only are the factions fighting again in a big way, but now everyone in the GOP is a target even though the INTERNAL GOP issue that everyone’s complaining about is the WAY he approached this as our GOP chair–and “this” could have been ANY issue, which would have resulted in the same complaints from many.

It is the METHOD, his action, the behavior–not the topic. But I’m sure that quite a few on this blog know that, but want to simply spin it to meet their agenda–another APPROACH which BTW is, has been, and unfortunately will probably continue to be the huge obstacle in gaining the acceptance that’s being sought.

And this is all happening today–thanks to Mr. Brady. I now have the information I need to make my decision about where I stand and for whom I will or will not stick my neck in future, on a variety of topics and issues.

* Sales tax coffers could get boost with new law
* A crack in the honeymoon
* Ernie Banks and politics
* A day in the life
* Today's overreaction
* New documents show med-mar scoring was completed ahead of schedule
* Fracking stalls while coal companies hope for rebound
* Rauner readies the axe
* Good morning!

* OnePlus to delay launch of 2nd phone, moved to Q3 of 2015
        * Apple brings back free music with new iTunes promotion
        * Apple to Shut Down Old TestFlight Beta Testing Website in February
        * Point-of-Sale Suppliers See Massive Increase in Retailer Interest Following Apple Pay Launch
        * T-Mobile brings back the subsidy (sort of) with Score discount program
        * Facebook Lite lands for Android: mobile site with notifications
        * LG rolls out new flip phone, calls it the ‘Ice Cream Smart’

* Avoid These Overused Buzzwords When Applying for a Job