Hey, Joe, go get a job

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013

* From last September

Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) had a message for Sandra Fluke during a campaign stop on Saturday: You’re 31 years old, “go get a job.”

Prefacing his comments as a “rant,” Walsh called the Georgetown Law School graduate’s speech at the Democratic National Convention “embarrassing.”

“Think about this, a 31, 32-year-old-law student who has been a student for life, gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, ‘I want America to pay for my contraceptives.’ You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Sandra Fluke,” he said to applause at a diner in Addison, Ill.

* And, now, Walsh wants to modify his child support obligations to 20 percent of his current income, which would be nothing since he currently has no job

But an attorney for Walsh’s ex-wife said that the former congressman is behind on child support payments that were dictated under a previous court order and that Walsh’s ex-wife was taken by surprise by a Feb. 1 court filing that asks “to terminate child support obligation,” saying Walsh “is without sufficient income or assets with which to continue to pay his support obligation.”

“This is the first communication we’ve received from the congressman; she had no information prior to receiving this filing in the mail that he was going to seek,” said Jack Coladarci, an attorney for Walsh’s ex-wife. “He did not pay January and he has not paid February support… You still have to keep paying until the judge says you can stop.”

Walsh’s court filing states: “Joe’s employment has been terminated through no voluntary act of his own and he is without sufficient income or assets with which to continue to pay his support obligation. Due to a substantial change in circumstances, Joe requests that his child support obligation be terminated based on his present income and circumstances.”

But Walsh insists he’s not trying to get out of paying anything.

He said the key part of the filing comes at the end; when it asks that the court “modify Joe’s child support obligation to a sum equal to 20 percent of his net income until the minor child graduates from high school in 2013.”

Asked why the motion was titled “motion to terminate child support,” Walsh’s lawyer, Janet Boyle, characterized the title to the motion, which Walsh signed, as misleading.

“It probably should have been a motion to modify, that’s probably what I would have captioned it. My office used a word that is getting turned around here,” Boyle said. “That’s what we’re asking for, a modification, whether that’s modified to zero or some other number has yet to be seen.”

* From Walsh

Here are the facts: My three kids are 25, 22, and 18-years-old. My youngest son will be emancipated in May of this year when he graduates from high school. Two weeks ago, I did what every other father who is paying child support is supposed to do — by law — when their employment situation changes — I modified my support agreement. With my Congressional term ending on January 3, and with my ex-wife having been paid in full through my term in Congress, by law, I filed a modification of my support payments for my remaining unemancipated child for these next four months. This modification called for me to pay my ex-wife 20% of my net income during these four months, which is my responsibility by law.

This is what the law requires me to do, and I’ve met that obligation. I’ve only been out of Congress for a month, and I expect to be employed again very soon. Regardless, I will continue with my child support payments by law until my son Patrick is emancipated.

This action was not done surreptitiously or with any malice towards my ex-wife. I did exactly what the law required me to do. Nothing was covered-up. Nothing was hidden.

* Walsh may have a valid point here, though

Ms. Korecki of the Sun-Times posted her story to the newspaper’s website at the exact same time that she sent an e-mail to my attorney asking for comment. She claims falsely in her e-mail that my voicemail was full. That is not true.

* Whatever the case, the guy needs to go get a job. Any job. I’ll bet Burger King is hiring.

Just sayin…

1. - Colossus - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:43 am:

- You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Joe Walsh. -

Slow clap

(used the wrong link, Rich, please delete me@9:42)

2. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:47 am:

Your election loss was a blessing for you, Joe. It allowed you the time to put your priorities in order and get right with your children and family.

Be a man.

As to all you folks out there who keep listening to this goofy creep, then broadcasting it everywhere - stop. This man has nothing to say.

3. - StayFree75 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Does Mr. Walsh receive unemployment? If so the Court will likely Order him to pay 20% of his unemployment to his former spouse. Regardless, the Court will likely Order him to provide regular updates on his “job search”, and if the Court doesn’t, it is likely because Mr. Walsh only has four months left to pay support for their youngest child.

Then there will be the small matter of paying for college tuition and expenses, which will likely be subject to further litigation pursuant to the IMDMA unless the parties have a prior agreement addressing college expenses.

4. - Anon. - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:51 am:

“Morning Two Joes”?

5. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:53 am:

“I did exactly what the law required me to do.”

No. He stopped making legally required payments, and then later asked the court to modify his required payment down to zero.

I’m still curious who paid his wife the substantial amount she was rightly owed, when she settled her claim during his campaign. It apparently wasn’t Joe — he “had no money” back then.

6. - Mouthy - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:54 am:

“Hey, Joe, go get a job”…..hopefully where public speaking isn’t in the criteria.

7. - Gregory Tejeda - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:57 am:

I’m not trying to be an apologist for the Chicago Sun-Times. But I’m not sure that Walsh’s point about his attorney being contacted for comment at the same time the story was published on the website is all that “valid,” particularly if his voicemail really was full.

As a one-time wire service guy, I know full well that early versions of stories (such as those on the Internet and NOT for the next day’s printed paper) often get published with that “not immediately available to comment” line included — with the idea being that once the person comments, the story is immediately revised to include their statements. Which appears to have happened here.

Think about it. Would it really be better if nothing could be written until said response were obtained? If that were the case, then political geeks could prevent negative coverage by merely refusing to respond.

8. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:59 am:

If he has no income and no job, who’s paying for his health insurance? Just askin’.

9. - Huh? - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:10 am:

“If he has no income and no job, …”

How is he paying for rent, utilities, food, gas, car payments, credit cards, lawyers? Just askin’.

10. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:17 am:

Walsh is in the vanguard of what Gov, Jindal calls the “stupid party.”

Time to sober up, GOP. Get rid of these clowns.

You should have known you were in trouble when you tossed Lugar for Mourdock, and tolerated all those goofs like Cain and Bachman in those endless primary debates.

A lot less Joe Walsh, a lot more Jerry Ford, please.

11. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:22 am:

“no voluntary act of his own”.

Opening his mouth and offending people was not voluntary but it was a an action forced upon him by the anti-Patriots. (snark)

12. - shore - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:23 am:

he’s known for 2.5 years this could happen-I’m sure people started reaching out to him the moment the map was finalized. I hope he lands something and gets into the governors race, it would add spice. even dan seals was able to find a gig as a lecturer.

13. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:30 am:

–Joe will eventually find a gig as a ‘far-right’ radio broadcaster, he fits the mold.–

Maybe not. Supply is high, demand is shrinking. Fox has been handing out pink slips left and right. Mostly right.

Kass and Proft already have gigs, for crying out loud. How many more do you need? How hard is it to say “Benghazi?”

14. - reformer - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:32 am:

Parents are entitled to seek a revision in their court-ordered support. What they’re not legally entitled to do is to unilaterally reduce the support payment without judicial approval.

15. - Esquire - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:41 am:

I am not sure that I would want to promote Sandra Fluke’s manufactured media controversy in order to criticize anybody. That being said, Joe needs to get a job and help his high school aged child.

16. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:57 am:

“Supply is high, demand is shrinking”

Word- Capitalism does work, sometimes it just takes time.

17. - MrJM - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Easier said than done, Rich!

There are two sides to every story: If you were running a Burger King, would you hire this volatile kook?

- MrJM

18. - Johnny - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:30 am:

Walsh has been fighting having to support his kids for quite awhile now. At the same time, I assume his ex-wife supports them on a daily basis…paying rent, food, clothes, school costs, etc., etc. Sounds like she’s more of a man than he is.

19. - langhorne - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:38 am:

wow. he got hooked on the limelight pretty bad and doesnt know when to leave, and has no idea how clueless he sounds. i cant imagine this pub helps him to land a radio gig, unless it is the 3 hr slot from midnight to 3a, for $15 an hour.

20. - ChicagoDem - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:41 am:

Why we continue to give this guy any more ink than he desreves is beyond me.

21. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:58 am:

What kind of scratch does Joe have to pay the attorney in his suit against the Sun-Times? Shouldn’t that money feed his family?

22. - carbaby - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:18 pm:

I find it interesting that he states the law “requires” him to file a modification when his circumstances change. Actually the law “allows” you to file a modification- it is your choice to exercise that or not. There are many people whose circumstances change and they never file any modifications. The mere filing of the modification does not mean you stop paying child support. You must continue to pay until the court hears the case and grants you relief.
    Why didn’t he file for the modification back in November/December. Clearly he knew after the election that he was going to be unemployed as of Jan. 3. Even if he had irons in the fire so to speak, he could’ve just filed for the modification and then withdrew it if his employment prospects came through.

23. - mythoughtis - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:39 pm:

So, he has unilateraly quit paying, and then files for termination of child support. then says it is a modification. Reading his comments, it is obvious that he wants to stop paying as soon as May.

I’ll bet holiday get togethers between Joe and his offspring are loads of fun.

24. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

===I mean, think about this, a 51, 52-year-old former congressman gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I’m meeting my obligations.” You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Joe Walsh.===

Haha. Those in glass houses…

25. - JustNe_JMO - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

I hope something is in the decree for future educational expenses!

Sure appears to be dead-beat-dad !!

26. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 1:57 pm:

Maybe he could intern for a political publication.

27. - ArchPundit - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

===Never having been in a situation to receive child support, high school graduation may be the time it normally stops? However, my spouse and I have not stopped contributing to our college student’s support needs. Being divorced should not be a means to financially abandon your children once they graduaate from high school, shoving that burden entirely upon the custodial parent.

It depends on the agreement-Illinois does not mandate support after the 18th birthday and high school graduation. However, if the agreement includes further support, the court may enforce it. Presumably, his ex-wife and he did not have an agreement beyond the legal requirement.

28. - ArchPundit - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

—it is obvious that he wants to stop paying as soon as May.

That’s what makes this so ridiculous–he only has to make a four more payments at most and he won’t even do that. Or say, if he’s a little tight now (he should have planned, but things happen) he could work with the mother on an elongated schedule instead of taking it public by filing a modification agreement.

You know, if he cares about his responsibility.

29. - Nickypiii - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

It’s very hard to hire someone with no discirnable people skills and a resume that shows he, as well as other Republicans, did absolutely nothing during his tenure in the US Congress. YouTube videos are enough to keep this person unemployed,

30. - zatoichi - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:50 pm:

So this guy is saying I am done with my obligation to my kids? Nice dad. Guess his children will not need him over the next 10 years or so. Yeah, he is a leader.

31. - David Ormsby - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:57 pm:

–You know, if he cares about his responsibility–

Walsh cares about Walsh and the sound of voice echoing back.

32. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 4:29 pm:

Say it ain’t so Joe. (Yes, we’ve heard that one before)…

33. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:23 pm:

There are so many wonderful things we get to say when our kids hit 18. “My son will be emancipated” is not one of them. Really sad, all the way around.

34. - Yossarian - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:49 pm:

Sad. Very sad. Shame on you, Joe!

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* Thanksgiving/Black Friday Online Sales Hit $4.5B, 34% Of Purchases Made On Mobile
* Amazon Prime Video Coming to New Apple TV Possibly Within a 'Few Weeks'
* Sonos Trueplay makes Bluetooth speaker EQ smart
* Getting an iPad Air 2 for Thanksgiving on your iPhone? Same as a lot of other people
* Google+ web preview update brings 3-column view, context replies
* ZTE, Lenovo and Xiaomi inch away from Qualcomm, MediaTek chipsets
* Instagram adding multi-account support to Android app

* Starting Pitcher Rankings: Chris Sale and Jose Quintana maintain st...
* Scouting profile: Adam Engel
* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal

* Rauner faces challenges to block Syrian refugee.....
* Durbin Calls on Gov. Rauner to Meet With Syrian.....
* Will task force undo government glut? - Kankake.....

* Illinois community college plans to boost foreign recruiting
* Historic re-enactors gather at former French fort
* Foul play not suspected in death of southern Illinois woman
* Lawyers for Schock say documents handed over to prosecutors
* EXCHANGE: Highland art teachers exhibit works on campus
* Police make arrest in killing of Chicago 9-year-old boy
* Mascoutah burglary victim shot in 1st night at new home
* Closing of 2 Illinois harness racing tracks opposed
* Landfill cleanup to idle Rockford area sledding hill
* Hunters find body of missing southern Illinois woman

* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion

* Retailers ready for shooting protests
* Mag Mile tied up by protest over Chicago teen's shooting
* Review: Sociale in the South Loop
* Her Barbie was a lawyer. Now she defends victims' rights
* Meet the guy making money off your food scraps

* Blackhawks rally for stunning victory with two late goals
* Aaron Schock’s lawyers voluntarily providing records sought by feds
* In wake of dashcam video, Emanuel must navigate political minefield
* White House under holiday lockdown after man jumps fence
* Trevor Daley turning the corner at both ends of the ice
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees
* Brown: Simeon basketball players bring their A-game to court
* 16 reasons every Blackhawks fan should be thankful on Thanksgiving
* Blackhawks cool off Sharks; Kane extends point streak to 17
* Four more Laquan McDonald police dashcam videos released

* Teen fatally shot in Gary
* Man, woman get themselves to safety after falling into Lake Michigan
* 1 killed, 2 wounded in city shootings
* Police warn of burglaries on West Side
* Fiery crash in McHenry County kills 3 18-year-olds; bystanders try to free passengers
* Tyshawn on swing when gangbangers out for revenge targeted him: prosecutors
* Blog: Mag Mile marchers protest Laquan McDonald shooting
* Some Black Friday shoppers balk at Laquan McDonald protests on Mag Mile
* Crowds close stores, march on Mag Mile to protest Laquan McDonald killing

* Charles Krauthammer: The Syrian immigration cul-de-sac
* Rob Elliott: EPA ethanol ruling affects more than energy policy
* Local free community college plans may be template for U.S.
* Rauner faces challenges in move to block refugees
* Vendor Payment Program suspended due to budget impasse
* Eugene Robinson: The GOP's political correctness dodge
* Douglas Holt: Woman's protest of Trump was misguided, inappropriate
* George Will: Muzzling pet advice another case of free speech erosion
* Bernard Schoenburg: Josh Langfelder took father's advice on election petition signatures
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack

* Top of the morning, Nov. 28, 2015
* Illinois 72, Alabama-Birmingham 58
* Nunn sparkles in return
* MBB notebook: Morgan starting strong for Illini
* Friday's highlights: GCMS, LeRoy boys hoops to meet in finale
* Rockets overwhelmed by Fightin' Irish in title game
* Volleyball team falls in finale
* Arcola routs Stark County for 1A football crown
* Football state championships notes: Arcola's win particularly special
* HS Football: Arcola returns to homecoming

* Seguin scores in shootout and Stars beat Canucks 3-2
* 3 die in single-car crash in McHenry County area
* Air pollution in Beijing hits hazardous levels
* Barkov's shootout goal gives Panthers 3-2 win over Islanders
* Westminster Christian knocks off St. Edward

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Durbin Calls on Gov. Rauner to Meet With S......
* Durbin Statement on Pfizer-Allergan Invers......
* Letter: Sen. Durbin is right on refugee is......

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* RLC Roundup: Drivers Aim Lawsuit At Tinley Park Red Light Cameras
* Dueling pair of children being used to fight for attention of Chicago, world
* No Positive Loitering Tonight
* Fairness.
* It brings out the rats.
* If we are to get Goldman Sachs out of ESEA, we will have to be the ones to do it.
* Black Friday on North Michigan Avenue.
* Does America need a "council of elders"?
* Snow Money
* There's Snow Business

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact