Hey, Joe, go get a job

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013

* From last September

Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) had a message for Sandra Fluke during a campaign stop on Saturday: You’re 31 years old, “go get a job.”

Prefacing his comments as a “rant,” Walsh called the Georgetown Law School graduate’s speech at the Democratic National Convention “embarrassing.”

“Think about this, a 31, 32-year-old-law student who has been a student for life, gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, ‘I want America to pay for my contraceptives.’ You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Sandra Fluke,” he said to applause at a diner in Addison, Ill.

* And, now, Walsh wants to modify his child support obligations to 20 percent of his current income, which would be nothing since he currently has no job

But an attorney for Walsh’s ex-wife said that the former congressman is behind on child support payments that were dictated under a previous court order and that Walsh’s ex-wife was taken by surprise by a Feb. 1 court filing that asks “to terminate child support obligation,” saying Walsh “is without sufficient income or assets with which to continue to pay his support obligation.”

“This is the first communication we’ve received from the congressman; she had no information prior to receiving this filing in the mail that he was going to seek,” said Jack Coladarci, an attorney for Walsh’s ex-wife. “He did not pay January and he has not paid February support… You still have to keep paying until the judge says you can stop.”

Walsh’s court filing states: “Joe’s employment has been terminated through no voluntary act of his own and he is without sufficient income or assets with which to continue to pay his support obligation. Due to a substantial change in circumstances, Joe requests that his child support obligation be terminated based on his present income and circumstances.”

But Walsh insists he’s not trying to get out of paying anything.

He said the key part of the filing comes at the end; when it asks that the court “modify Joe’s child support obligation to a sum equal to 20 percent of his net income until the minor child graduates from high school in 2013.”

Asked why the motion was titled “motion to terminate child support,” Walsh’s lawyer, Janet Boyle, characterized the title to the motion, which Walsh signed, as misleading.

“It probably should have been a motion to modify, that’s probably what I would have captioned it. My office used a word that is getting turned around here,” Boyle said. “That’s what we’re asking for, a modification, whether that’s modified to zero or some other number has yet to be seen.”

* From Walsh

Here are the facts: My three kids are 25, 22, and 18-years-old. My youngest son will be emancipated in May of this year when he graduates from high school. Two weeks ago, I did what every other father who is paying child support is supposed to do — by law — when their employment situation changes — I modified my support agreement. With my Congressional term ending on January 3, and with my ex-wife having been paid in full through my term in Congress, by law, I filed a modification of my support payments for my remaining unemancipated child for these next four months. This modification called for me to pay my ex-wife 20% of my net income during these four months, which is my responsibility by law.

This is what the law requires me to do, and I’ve met that obligation. I’ve only been out of Congress for a month, and I expect to be employed again very soon. Regardless, I will continue with my child support payments by law until my son Patrick is emancipated.

This action was not done surreptitiously or with any malice towards my ex-wife. I did exactly what the law required me to do. Nothing was covered-up. Nothing was hidden.

* Walsh may have a valid point here, though

Ms. Korecki of the Sun-Times posted her story to the newspaper’s website at the exact same time that she sent an e-mail to my attorney asking for comment. She claims falsely in her e-mail that my voicemail was full. That is not true.

* Whatever the case, the guy needs to go get a job. Any job. I’ll bet Burger King is hiring.

Just sayin…

1. - Colossus - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:43 am:

- You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Joe Walsh. -

Slow clap

(used the wrong link, Rich, please delete me@9:42)

2. - VanillaMan - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:47 am:

Your election loss was a blessing for you, Joe. It allowed you the time to put your priorities in order and get right with your children and family.

Be a man.

As to all you folks out there who keep listening to this goofy creep, then broadcasting it everywhere - stop. This man has nothing to say.

3. - StayFree75 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:49 am:

Does Mr. Walsh receive unemployment? If so the Court will likely Order him to pay 20% of his unemployment to his former spouse. Regardless, the Court will likely Order him to provide regular updates on his “job search”, and if the Court doesn’t, it is likely because Mr. Walsh only has four months left to pay support for their youngest child.

Then there will be the small matter of paying for college tuition and expenses, which will likely be subject to further litigation pursuant to the IMDMA unless the parties have a prior agreement addressing college expenses.

4. - Anon. - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:51 am:

“Morning Two Joes”?

5. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:53 am:

“I did exactly what the law required me to do.”

No. He stopped making legally required payments, and then later asked the court to modify his required payment down to zero.

I’m still curious who paid his wife the substantial amount she was rightly owed, when she settled her claim during his campaign. It apparently wasn’t Joe — he “had no money” back then.

6. - Mouthy - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:54 am:

“Hey, Joe, go get a job”…..hopefully where public speaking isn’t in the criteria.

7. - Gregory Tejeda - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:57 am:

I’m not trying to be an apologist for the Chicago Sun-Times. But I’m not sure that Walsh’s point about his attorney being contacted for comment at the same time the story was published on the website is all that “valid,” particularly if his voicemail really was full.

As a one-time wire service guy, I know full well that early versions of stories (such as those on the Internet and NOT for the next day’s printed paper) often get published with that “not immediately available to comment” line included — with the idea being that once the person comments, the story is immediately revised to include their statements. Which appears to have happened here.

Think about it. Would it really be better if nothing could be written until said response were obtained? If that were the case, then political geeks could prevent negative coverage by merely refusing to respond.

-30-

8. - Skeptic - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:59 am:

If he has no income and no job, who’s paying for his health insurance? Just askin’.

9. - Huh? - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:10 am:

“If he has no income and no job, …”

How is he paying for rent, utilities, food, gas, car payments, credit cards, lawyers? Just askin’.

10. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:17 am:

Walsh is in the vanguard of what Gov, Jindal calls the “stupid party.”

Time to sober up, GOP. Get rid of these clowns.

You should have known you were in trouble when you tossed Lugar for Mourdock, and tolerated all those goofs like Cain and Bachman in those endless primary debates.

A lot less Joe Walsh, a lot more Jerry Ford, please.

11. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:22 am:

“no voluntary act of his own”.

Opening his mouth and offending people was not voluntary but it was a an action forced upon him by the anti-Patriots. (snark)

12. - shore - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:23 am:

he’s known for 2.5 years this could happen-I’m sure people started reaching out to him the moment the map was finalized. I hope he lands something and gets into the governors race, it would add spice. even dan seals was able to find a gig as a lecturer.

13. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:30 am:

–Joe will eventually find a gig as a ‘far-right’ radio broadcaster, he fits the mold.–

Maybe not. Supply is high, demand is shrinking. Fox has been handing out pink slips left and right. Mostly right.

Kass and Proft already have gigs, for crying out loud. How many more do you need? How hard is it to say “Benghazi?”

14. - reformer - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:32 am:

Parents are entitled to seek a revision in their court-ordered support. What they’re not legally entitled to do is to unilaterally reduce the support payment without judicial approval.

15. - Esquire - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:41 am:

I am not sure that I would want to promote Sandra Fluke’s manufactured media controversy in order to criticize anybody. That being said, Joe needs to get a job and help his high school aged child.

16. - Endangered Moderate Species - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:57 am:

“Supply is high, demand is shrinking”

Word- Capitalism does work, sometimes it just takes time.

17. - MrJM - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:01 am:

Easier said than done, Rich!

There are two sides to every story: If you were running a Burger King, would you hire this volatile kook?

- MrJM

18. - Johnny - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:30 am:

Walsh has been fighting having to support his kids for quite awhile now. At the same time, I assume his ex-wife supports them on a daily basis…paying rent, food, clothes, school costs, etc., etc. Sounds like she’s more of a man than he is.

19. - langhorne - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:38 am:

wow. he got hooked on the limelight pretty bad and doesnt know when to leave, and has no idea how clueless he sounds. i cant imagine this pub helps him to land a radio gig, unless it is the 3 hr slot from midnight to 3a, for $15 an hour.

20. - ChicagoDem - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:41 am:

Why we continue to give this guy any more ink than he desreves is beyond me.

21. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 11:58 am:

What kind of scratch does Joe have to pay the attorney in his suit against the Sun-Times? Shouldn’t that money feed his family?

22. - carbaby - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:18 pm:

I find it interesting that he states the law “requires” him to file a modification when his circumstances change. Actually the law “allows” you to file a modification- it is your choice to exercise that or not. There are many people whose circumstances change and they never file any modifications. The mere filing of the modification does not mean you stop paying child support. You must continue to pay until the court hears the case and grants you relief.
    Why didn’t he file for the modification back in November/December. Clearly he knew after the election that he was going to be unemployed as of Jan. 3. Even if he had irons in the fire so to speak, he could’ve just filed for the modification and then withdrew it if his employment prospects came through.

23. - mythoughtis - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:39 pm:

So, he has unilateraly quit paying, and then files for termination of child support. then says it is a modification. Reading his comments, it is obvious that he wants to stop paying as soon as May.

I’ll bet holiday get togethers between Joe and his offspring are loads of fun.

24. - Boone's is Back - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:42 pm:

===I mean, think about this, a 51, 52-year-old former congressman gets up there in front of a national audience and tells the American people, “I’m meeting my obligations.” You’re kidding me. Go get a job. Go get a job, Joe Walsh.===

Haha. Those in glass houses…

25. - JustNe_JMO - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 12:44 pm:

I hope something is in the decree for future educational expenses!

Sure appears to be dead-beat-dad !!

26. - Wensicia - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 1:57 pm:

Maybe he could intern for a political publication.

27. - ArchPundit - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 2:20 pm:

===Never having been in a situation to receive child support, high school graduation may be the time it normally stops? However, my spouse and I have not stopped contributing to our college student’s support needs. Being divorced should not be a means to financially abandon your children once they graduaate from high school, shoving that burden entirely upon the custodial parent.

It depends on the agreement-Illinois does not mandate support after the 18th birthday and high school graduation. However, if the agreement includes further support, the court may enforce it. Presumably, his ex-wife and he did not have an agreement beyond the legal requirement.

28. - ArchPundit - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 2:24 pm:

—it is obvious that he wants to stop paying as soon as May.

That’s what makes this so ridiculous–he only has to make a four more payments at most and he won’t even do that. Or say, if he’s a little tight now (he should have planned, but things happen) he could work with the mother on an elongated schedule instead of taking it public by filing a modification agreement.

You know, if he cares about his responsibility.

29. - Nickypiii - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

It’s very hard to hire someone with no discirnable people skills and a resume that shows he, as well as other Republicans, did absolutely nothing during his tenure in the US Congress. YouTube videos are enough to keep this person unemployed,

30. - zatoichi - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:50 pm:

So this guy is saying I am done with my obligation to my kids? Nice dad. Guess his children will not need him over the next 10 years or so. Yeah, he is a leader.

31. - David Ormsby - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 3:57 pm:

–You know, if he cares about his responsibility–

Walsh cares about Walsh and the sound of voice echoing back.

32. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 4:29 pm:

Say it ain’t so Joe. (Yes, we’ve heard that one before)…

33. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 9:23 pm:

There are so many wonderful things we get to say when our kids hit 18. “My son will be emancipated” is not one of them. Really sad, all the way around.

34. - Yossarian - Wednesday, Feb 13, 13 @ 10:49 pm:

Sad. Very sad. Shame on you, Joe!

* No pension bump for Stermer, MJM still not persuaded on special session
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - More comptroller stuff
* 1:30 comptroller announcement expected - Stermer appointed, says he will resign January 12th
* Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Bears open thread
* More adventures in misgovernance
* Question of the day - Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Petulance all around

* Galaxy S6 evidence, Sony Xperia Z4 leak, Lumia Denim & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Deezer update: lyrics you can read or sing-along to
        * Rovio updates Angry Birds Epic RPG with player vs player gameplay
        * Google confirms NVIDIA Tegra K1 as Project Ara SoC option
        * Looney Tunes make a comeback on mobile devices with new game
        * Samsung Galaxy J1 tipped as upcoming entry-level Android