All hail the conquering reformer!

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013

* I thought this was a rather odd story when I first saw a Bruce Rauner opposition research report a few weeks ago

Last week, the Daily Herald ran an interesting piece about how Mr. Rauner improperly had claimed homestead exemptions on three separate residences. The law says you’re supposed to get the tax break on only one residence, but Mr. Rauner for several years declared it on a Winnetka home, and on a Chicago penthouse and a condo located in the same building. […]

“Englander said Thursday that the Winnetka address is currently Rauner’s primary residence,” the Herald reported.

However, since October 2008, Mr. Rauner’s legal voting residence has been at 340 E. Randolph St. in Chicago. And, according to Chicago Board of Elections spokesman Jim Allen, the law is clear: ‘You should register at your primary residence.” The courts have upheld that standard many times, he said.

So, where does Mr. Rauner live? In Chicago, where he votes, or in Winnetka, where he gets the tax break and where his wife, Diana Rauner, is registered to vote?

Mr. Rauner’s new spokesman, Mike Schrimpf, tries to blow off the whole matter as just a little unmeaningful detail.

“The Rauners have long owned a home in Winnetka, raised their children there and continue to cherish their ties to the community,” he said in a statement, “but Bruce also has worked in Chicago for years, spent a great deal of time there and been deeply involved in improving the city. Consequently, Bruce registered to vote there after purchasing an apartment in the city while Diana continues to vote in Winnetka.”

* The oppo was partially about his wife, so I took a pass. Maybe I shouldn’t have, because Greg Hinz kept digging and discovered something far more interesting

I’ve heard of people doing almost anything to get their kid into Walter Payton College Prep High School. Whatever might work, I’m sure someone would try. […]

According to multiple sources at Chicago Public Schools, Mr. Rauner in 2008 picked up the phone and called Mr. Duncan on behalf of his daughter, who was trying to get into Payton. […]

As it turns out, in establishing residence in the city, Mr. Rauner also established the right of his daughter to attend a Chicago public school. But not just any school. She could have gone to New Trier, since mom still lived in Winnetka and New Trier is pretty highly rated itself. But Payton is rated better. […]

Moreover, another source with direct knowledge confirms that Ms. Rauner was not admitted to Payton via the normal best-score route, but by way of a supplemental, alternate procedure.

So, Rauner buys a condo in the city and establishes residency by registering to vote, falsely claims homestead exemptions on that condo and other homes, claims to the media that he bought the condo because he was “deeply involved in improving the city,” but conveniently fails to mention that he used the residence to help clout his kid into Payton.

* Look, I have no real problems with a parent doing all he legally can to get his kid into the best public school in the Chicago area. You gotta do what you gotta do.

What bugs me is that Rauner always talks about himself like he’s some outsider, just one of us, a regular guy in an inexpensive suit who really, truly believes that Illinois must be reformed. From Rauner’s Twitter feed…

Yep. He’s a reformer alright. Gonna clean up this state. As long as it’s everybody else who gets reformed.

1. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:00 pm:

Have you ever met someone running for office who tried to create the impression they were not a regular guy more or less?

2. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:01 pm:

Of course, OneMan. But he’s making it way too easy to prove otherwise.

3. - LincolnLounger - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:01 pm:

When I first started hearing about this guy, I was very intrigued. I’m afraid — for me — familiarity is breeding contempt.

4. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:03 pm:

I look forward to Governor Rauner’s daughter’s admission to UIUC.

5. - Downfall - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:05 pm:

Wow. Pathetic. He’s setting Republicans back.

I’m actually starting to see the path to a PQ victory…

6. - Ben S. - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:10 pm:

Nah, Boone Logan, public schools are for little people. If she stays instate she’ll probably end up at Northwestern or Chicago…

7. - Cicero - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:11 pm:

I recall another self-proclaimed reformer running for governor who promised no more business as usual if he got elected. He lived in Chicago too.

8. - OneMan - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:14 pm:

== Of course, OneMan. But he’s making it way too easy to prove otherwise. ==

True, but the advantange he has to some degree is he is doing it in the April before the primary. So better to kill that image early when fewer are paying attention I guess.

9. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:15 pm:

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:16 pm:

Oh, how much would it be to hear the Walter Payton explanation?

Bruce Rauner is a disappointment of character. Rauner appears to have nothing of substance by which anyone with an honest look at him would think, “Yeah, I give him the benefit of the doubt.”

Bruce Rauner is weaseling his way through Illinois, attempting to be “cloutless”, an “outsider”, … a “reformer.

As Bruce says “We”, like a King, the Upper Crust, the … Elite …Bruce Rauner’s talking points, unbeliveably about himself, are utter tomfoolery, to make us the voters HIS fools.

I am not a fool, “We”, Oswego Willy, can’t wait to hear how “Gaming” the system, by an “Outsider” no less, just didn’t happen.

Pathetic Campaign, just plain sad.

11. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:20 pm:

OW, I think you’ll be waiting an awful long time. Instead, what you’re likely to hear is, “how dare you attack my family and my daughter. Leave them out of this!”

I keep writing off these various problems as rookie mistakes. But they’re piling up fast and, worse, they’re going right at the heart of the brand he’s attempting to establish. Just how do you end “business as usual” when you’re an archetype of “business as usual?”

12. - shore - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:22 pm:

In 10 months after this guy has gotten his 4th place finish and spent his great great grandchildrens college money before we forget him we will stop and ask ourselves whether this guy was andy mckenna, ron gidwitz, or enter rich chicago area republican businessperson name here?

we should add up all the dollars self funding republicans have spent on statewide and congressional races the last 14 years that didn’t even get the silver medal in their own primary.

13. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:25 pm:

Rauner Spin Machine® in 3… 2… 1…

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:27 pm:

- Chicago Cynic -

===Oh, how much would it be to hear the Walter Payton explanation?===

I figured, to Bruce Rauner, if I asked “how much”, the “money bone” would kick in and Bruce, and “the mouse in his pocket”, would just come up with a dollar amount, like a reflex …

To the Post,

Dates would be good. Dates of the Condo closing, dates of Application and/or Acceptence, maybe a quote from Arne Duncan … or just offer “Reformer” Bruce Rauner cash-money?

Worth a try …

15. - Publius - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:31 pm:

The great savior of the chicago public school system uses clout to get his daughter in? Looks like a good excuse for not living in Springfield if one gets electeud governor. Oh, wait, that sounds familiar.

16. - Just Me - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:34 pm:

Reminds me of a certain State Senator whom I will not name always pushing for more open meeting act requirements, yet at the same time pushing for more secret caucus meetings on her bills. I once pointed out the irony to her but it failed to register.

17. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:40 pm:

His clout kept some Chicago kid from going to Payton on merit.

Look, I live in Oak Park, and parents from the west side are always scheming to get their kids into the schools. I understand that. If I were in their spot, I might do the same.

But New Trier isn’t good enough — you clout to get into Payton? That’s…… something I cannot say here.

Add that to his anti-teachers-union junk, the charter school scheming and….. again, fill in something you can’t say here, here.

18. - Cincinnatus - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:42 pm:

Hey, word,

Don’t forget “pay to play” to get CTU and Pennsylvania pension contracts!

19. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:48 pm:

Cincy, leave me out of your Dillard cathecism please, lol.

20. - Jonathan - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:49 pm:

So Rauner is really good at working the system. Isn’t that a prerequisite for any potential statewide IL officeholder?

21. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:50 pm:

- Cincinnatus -,

Ever heard the adage, “Never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake.”

Bud, c’mon …

I would be more worried about Dillard and Co. and all the other GOP Wannabes have the Dollars to get all this out via Paid Media, when the race actually begins.

Just saying …

22. - Norseman - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 3:55 pm:

He is who we thought he was!

23. - Rudykzooti - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:02 pm:

whoa, slow down save some if this stuff for later when he is in the thick of it…it will be more fun to see him squirm in front of the cameras.

24. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:03 pm:

“When you open my Daughter’s application, you will see the new Chicago address in there, and all the paperwork and stuff …(pause) and if you find Arne Duncan’s card in there too, its an accident. I was calling him on his private line and I seem to have misplaced his handwritten note too…”

25. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:07 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - After this picture was taken My Hedge Fund Manager allegedly clouted his daughter into Payton Prep. He is just a normal guy, the Chicago Condo was for me. #TakingTheFallIsPartOfTheJob

26. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:07 pm:

Worry not, Rudykzooti. I’m told there’s a rather thick OR book.

27. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:13 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - My Hedge Fund Manager calls many people, about many things. Clout is never used in those calls. #DontLookNowButMyBeakIsGrowing

28. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:15 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - I told My Hedge Fund Manager I got to be a KFC Chicken. Ten Minutes & a phone call later, My Hedge Fund Manager told me, “Guess what, now you are a Chick Fil A Chicken”. Clouting rules #JustLikeNormalFolk

29. - Ouch - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:15 pm:

As if this girl didn’t already have all the advantages in life.

I know there is no guarantee that a poor or middle class kid would have ended up taking the spot but what if she DID take a spot from some kid who did not have all the advantages she had.

30. - Michael Westen - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:21 pm:

He probably figures that if other “reformers” like Ricky Munoz can clout their kids into elite schools and the media still kisses their ring, what does he have to lose.

31. - Downstater - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:24 pm:

Oswego Willy seems to dislike anyone who has money and uses it to their advantage.

32. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:25 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - My Hedge Fund Manager beleives in transperancy and reform. After My Hedge Fund Manager wins, he will live it too. #HypothethicalHypocrite

33. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:35 pm:

“Oswego Willy” …”We” …

We …do not like when what is presented to us as one thing, is actually another …like

Resumes. Records. Positions.

Oswego Willy … We … we can’t stand the hypocricy of candidates looking at something and dumping on how bad it is, and then finding out they are not only a part of it, but doing it at the peril of others.

Oswego Willy …We … can’t stand the idea that candidates think voters are stupid and if they shine themselves up and pretend to be “just like us” we will let realities “go”, and truths fade.

I don’t like a 25 year old, money, no money, telling me he can run the 5th largest state in the Union based on Interships and Dad’s HR Department, and I sure as heck don’t like an “outsider”, reeking of inside monies and clout, running on ideas counter the Illinois Constitution, all the while “gaming” the system, even at the cost of another child.

With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:46 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - What Oswego Willy seems to NOT understand is that its ok to use money to advance yourself, even at the cost of someone else … if you can “game” the system. #BlameTheSystemNotTheChicken

35. - siriusly - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:47 pm:

36. - Will Caskey - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:48 pm:

Now THIS is interesting. Finally someone managed to do something with the CPS admission appeal list. I tried to FOIA it back when the Trib reported on it in 2010 and got the brush off.

37. - James the Intolerant - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:51 pm:

My daughter is graduating from college next week after receiving a phenomenal education at Payton, and she did test in. She hated it when kids got in the other route because her contention was that someone’s entire life can take an abrupt turn when they get the opportunities for college offered by Walter Payton.

38. - Norseman - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:57 pm:

Willy - commenting at 4:35 p.m.

Well said!

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 4:57 pm:

@TheRaunerChicken - Let’s be quite clear, My Hedge Fund Manager was not TRYING to “game” any system. He was succeeding in “gaming” the system, big difference! #AsLongAsIWinWhoCares

40. - Just The Way It Is One - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 5:21 pm:

We, the-those-Illinoisans-who-he’s-trying-to-”reform”, OBJECT! We ain’t broke (yet, at least) so don’t come around and try to “fix” us!!!

41. - Muffin Man - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 5:32 pm:

I, too, was initially intrigued by the first articles on Rauner (by Rauner probably). Then I had the opportunity to meet and talk with him one evening at a political/social function. He was an “okay guy” in my opinion but he was definitely a “self-promoter” who couldn’t work the crowd quickly enough to get his name out there. It was actually funny to watch him. He reminded me of Gidwitz when I first met him and got a chance to talk with him at length when he was running for governor. These guys are “okay guys” but they are driven more by self-advancement than by idealism or wanting to give back to the community/state.

I don’t blame Rauner or others for wanting the best education they can get for their kids. I didn’t see Obama or Rahm rushing to send their kids to a public school. And. it isn’t because of security concerns although that might be a great excuse to use. These guys “don’t identify” with the rest of us nor should they because they are as similar to the rest of us as a swan is to a starling.

42. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 5:38 pm:

Besides the political reformer hypocrisy… I’m kind of intrigued by the education reformer hypocrisy.

Walter Payton is NOT a for-profit charter school, it’s a non-profit public school. So why was Bruce Rauner, hater of the CTU and CPS public schools, trying to clout his daughter into a CPS school that wasn’t a charter school?

And if he thinks a public magnet school like Walter Payton is great enough to lie about his primary residence over, why isn’t he trying to get the CPS to make more Walter Paytons rather than wasting his time promoting charter schools that aren’t good enough for his daughter?

43. - Chavez-respecting Obamist - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 5:42 pm:

When the Obamas lived in Chicago they got the tuition at the Lab Schools discounted because at least one of them and sometimes both worked at UC. I can’t imagine not taking advantage of that.

As far as the current Mayor’s kids going there, none of my CPS teacher-friends want to be his kids’ teacher. I know this because I asked them while they were complaining about what it looked like, sending them to the Lab Schools.

And there is the security factor–the Lab Schools (and the Friends Schools in DC) already have security measures in place. Imagine the uproar if Ravenswood had to implement security measures because the younger Emanuel children went there. I think the oldest one is old enough to wreak havoc at Lake View, but I could be wrong.

But Rauner is just cheap if he sends his daughter to Payton–somehow I think she’d be better off at a Lab School too.

44. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 5:57 pm:

No Rauner fan here either.

However-43 comments in and no outrage at Arne Duncan for greasing the skids?

What’s up with that? If the admission was hinky, it was his job to stop it cold. Instead, he apparently opened the side door.

For those among you asking about Rauner’s past giving, now you have the answer, in part. Stay tuned for more.

Mike, don’t unpack.

45. - Downstater - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:01 pm:

Oswego willy you must have such a difficult time when you step into the voting both looking for the purist candidate.

46. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:04 pm:

===Oswego Willy you must have such a difficult time when you step into the voting both looking for the purist candidate.===

You are asking me … if I have trouble finding and voting for the purist candidate?

Use the seach engine of your choice and see how I feel about “Purity”…then get back to me.

Y I K E S!

47. - soccermom - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:14 pm:

Could someone please send me the OR book on Rauner? I don’t want to use it - I just want to enjoy it.

48. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:15 pm:

- Norseman -

I thank you.

49. - soccermom - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:23 pm:

Okay, folks, this one is for free: When you get caught clouting your kid into a school, don’t deny it.

Embrace it. Say you are so sorry, but you were blinded by your overwhelming love for your child, who was desperate to attend this school. You know that you shouldn’t have done it, but any loving parent will understand why your devotion to your child overwhelmed your scruples.

Then write a check equivalent for four years’ tuition at Lab or Parker and give it to CPS. And set up a scholarship fund for Payton grads that will pay tuition at the U of I for a kid who can’t afford to go otherwise. (Not just for next year, but enough to set up an ongoing scholarship program)

Apologize. Profusely. Do what you can to make amends. And move on.

Otherwise, this one is going to follow you all the way through.

You’re welcome.

50. - Quizzical - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:30 pm:

Good point AA.

51. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:32 pm:

- soccermom -

Nice work! The one thing you do not have to worry about in dropping knowledge down for some in My Party is that “they know better” and it will fall on deaf ears.

Me and others always enjoy you teaching, and we also enjoy those Dopes ignoring because it will always catch them in the end.

No Snark, I would not want to go against you. Much Respect.

52. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:50 pm:

AA, that’s a fair point. I am not making excuses for Arne Duncan, but my sense is that clouted admission decisions were made above his pay grade and people in the former Mayor’s office are more culpable. Principals were also involved.

Again, I’m not making excuses for Duncan. He’s got to answer for himself and these are important questions that need answers.

53. - K3 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 6:58 pm:

Talk about not being ready for prime time! And this guy is the great GOP hope? Bring on 2014!

54. - Living in Machiaville - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:12 pm:

Guy with money and influence clouts kids into prep haven…details at 11. Seriously? What hasn’t he done to show his forked tongue? But frankly, we watch almost daily as state reps and senators lie and distort often times in public record whilst in the public’s house. I hold no hope for one honest man/woman.

55. - foster brooks - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:29 pm:

another out of touch millionaire trying to position himself so he can screw the middle class.

56. - soccermom - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:40 pm:

Thanks so much, OW. And I would kill to jump on a campaign about now. Sigh.

57. - Wumpus - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:45 pm:

Oh noes, she took the position of a poor Lincoln Parker who couldn’t get in. Investigate Arne Duncan too and enough about Rauner

58. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:46 pm:

- soccermom -,

When you do hop on a campaign, remember where to get the Golf Shirts.

59. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 7:59 pm:

– Investigate Arne Duncan too and enough about Rauner–

Why lay off Rauner? Is it because he’s entitled, always looking for “free stuff?” Or can he not take the heat?

Believe it or not, some people find the story interesting:

Suburban GOP millionaire candidate for governor, who spends a lot of money and time dissing the CPS and pushing charter schools, clouts his kid into a prestigious Chicago public school.

No, there won’t be any follow up stories. And certainly no negative spots in the primary.

Duncan and anyone else involved should answer. It stinks.

60. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 8:11 pm:

If it shakes out that Bruce Rauner buys a condo at the time his daughter is trying to be clouted into Payton Prep, and after his daughter NEEDED the clout because the scores wouldn’t even get he in the door…

Nope, no legs on this story. I give it 2 days, tops.

61. - ChicagoDem - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 8:12 pm:

If this is the same Rauner who built the YMCA in Pilsen, then I say he is not cheap. He cares for those in need. The Y couldn’t have been built without his help. But, like many rich guys who run for office, they never brag about their donations to the many foundations that help the poor and the inner city folk; even though they get criticized and pushed to the limits about “uncaring” for the poor.

62. - hisgirlfriday - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 10:13 pm:

So we’re supposed to pity poor little rich boy Bruce Rauner now? The fact that he’s a billionaire who can throw million-dollar donations around like nickels means he doesn’t need to play by the same rules as the rest of us and wait in line the regular folk?

You do realize that he probably got a pretty hefty deduction on his taxes at the same time he shared his so unfortunately unappreciated generosity on the ungrateful rabble of Chicago, right? Oh but I’m sure there was nothing in the Y donation for him and he didn’t deduct it on his taxes at all, I bet. Also I bet he got no improved connections to Chicago pols for a possible future run for governor. And I bet he got no positive publicity in the media for those political ambitions or his business lobbying government for access to government pension money.

I do find it curious though if Rauner was so humble and disinterested in credit for his donation then why is it that he put his name on the Y in the first place? Why did he consent to interviews with the media about it? And why did he permit his “good friend” Rahm Emanuel to sing praises of his generosity on the floor of Congress and get his ode to Bruce entered into the Congressional Record?

But yeah those rich people. No one appreciates them.

63. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Apr 24, 13 @ 10:31 pm:

Willy, is selling Golf Shirts and consulting a conflict? Good, I didn’t think so either.

Just to be clear, I don’t advocate cutting Rauner any slack here. He should be “scrootened” as much as Duncan.

64. - Davey Boy Smithe - Thursday, Apr 25, 13 @ 6:40 am:

Richard J Daley would see nothing wrong with this. He’s just helping his family!

65. - Chi - Thursday, Apr 25, 13 @ 8:05 am:

“like many rich guys who run for office, they never brag about their donations to the many foundations that help the poor and the inner city folk”

Putting your name in huge letters across the face of the building doesn’t count as bragging about your donation?

66. - Jake from Elwood - Thursday, Apr 25, 13 @ 11:25 am:

Be honest, most of you would do what you could to try to secure an optimal education for your children. However, I am hoping that most of you would not be hypocrites in the process.

* Happy Thanksgiving!
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Five unanswered questions
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Question of the day
* Caption contest!
* Crossing the line
* Moody's warns Illinois
* The Credit Union Difference
* *** UPDATED x1 - Franks responds *** Uh-oh
* Then and now

* Save another 15% on all VPN subscriptions [DEALS]
* Motorola UK begins its Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, offers savings up to 50% on popular devices
* OnePlus admits to non-standard USB type-C accessories, offers refunds
* Obi Worldphone SF1 to go on sale in India on December 1
* NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet with Tegra X1 chip leaked at GFXBench
* ZeroLemon launches $40 battery cases for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and S6 Edge+
* Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL now shipping in parts of Europe

* Alex Avila will try to shed limitations with White Sox
* White Sox program provides kids real chance
* Johnson solid candidate for White Sox rotation
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign catcher Avila to one-year deal
* White Sox sign C Alex Avila for 1 year, $2.5 million

* Cross Supports New Appointee - Alton Daily News..
* Rauner on Refugees - Alton Daily News..

* Boone County jail inmate charged with attacking guard
* Chicago schools prepare lesson plan on teen's shooting
* EXCHANGE: Augustana digitizing Hauberg glass plate images
* Chicago Public Schools reverses special education cuts
* Former Chicago Transit workers sentenced in fraud scheme
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield police chief bemoans body-cam 'burden'
* Illinois makes tax break deals with 3 companies
* Most Illinois metro jobless rates fall but many lose jobs
* EXCHANGE: Fire training buildings adapt to versatile needs

* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money
* Number of Illinois inmates released on parole climbing
* Bryce Benton circulating petitions to challenge Sen. Sam McCann in GOP primary
* Executive Mansion roof repairs nearing completion
* Candidates begin filing petitions for March primary election
* Benton circulating petitions to challenge McCann in GOP primary
* Rauner administration says House Democrats holding local aid hostage

* Review: Sociale in the South Loop
* Her Barbie was a lawyer. Now she defends victims' rights
* Meet the guy making money off your food scraps
* Anger, pain and calls for change in response to police video
* United, Delta bet on long oil slump

* 16 reasons every Blackhawks fan should be thankful on Thanksgiving
* Blackhawks cool off Sharks; Kane extends point streak to 17
* Four more Laquan McDonald police dashcam videos released
* President Obama: ‘Disturbed’ by Laquan video, grateful for ‘peaceful’ protests
* Black leaders call for Supt. McCarthy to resign
* Viktor Tikhonov embraces off-ice role as Artemi Panarin’s guide
* Ex-Hawks winger Ben Smith working his way back from a concussion
* FOP posts notice on raising bail for officer charged with murder
* Brian Bliss remains employed by Fire
* Black Caucus renews calls for McCarthy’s ouster

* Teen dead, 4 other people wounded in city shootings
* 4 arrested in protest after McDonald video released
* Four new Laquan McDonald shooting videos raise more questions
* Live blog: Laquan McDonald protests in Chicago
* Man charged with home invasion after woman reported taken from Oak Park house
* Questions remain on long inquiry before Laquan McDonald shooting charges
* Police: Two girls struck by SUV while walking on sidewalk
* Indiana's proposed new religious freedom plan draws ire

* Eugene Robinson: The GOP's political correctness dodge
* Douglas Holt: Woman's protest of Trump was misguided, inappropriate
* George Will: Muzzling pet advice another case of free speech erosion
* Bernard Schoenburg: Josh Langfelder took father's advice on election petition signatures
* Rauner pardons man found innocent of 1999 attack
* Springfield jobless rate falls again, to 5.1 percent
* Michael Gerson: The Trump effect, still 'understated'
* Catherine Rampell: For millennials, first comes love — then what?
* Springfield police chief sees problems with body cam law
* Lawsuit challenges Illinois ban on marijuana campaign money

* Wednesday's highlights: Nottingham, Chargers get first win
* Clubs listings, Nov. 26-Dec. 3, 2015
* Area update: Soup kitchen needs help with backpack giveaway
* Frank's Faves: Giving thanks
* Golf links swap hits roadblock
* Chuck Koplinski: Beautiful 'Brooklyn' a love story for the ages
* Update on candidate filings in Vermilion County for 2016
* 80th N-G All-State Football: POY Josh King
* Notes-Worthy: Kvn Tajzea
* Illini marching in the big time

* Projects stall after feds allow fish farming in open ocean
* Cameron: UK must attack IS in Syria to deny group safe haven
* Boone County jail inmate charged with attacking guard
* Where's death penalty in push for criminal justice overhaul?
* The Latest: Authorities carry out raid in southern Belgium

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Nebraska ethanol producers name former Dur......

* Opinion: Sen. Kirk must stand with crimina......

* Don't Let The Turkeys Get You Down
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* IDOT Debuts Winter Weather Driving Tips Video
* Pot Dangerous? Mother's Testimony Says Yes [video]
* Happy Thanksgiving
* It seems like it’s everywhere, that video of the final moments of Laquan’s life
* Laquan McDonald.
* Sixteen shots. The story that broke the silence.
* Thomas Francis McGuire interviewed on NTNM
* Random thoughts.

* Emergency Management Officials, National Weather Service Encourage Winter Preparedness - November is Winter Weather Preparedness Month in Illinois
* Keep Your Family Safe This Winter - November through February are leading months for carbon monoxide related incidents
* Governor Takes Bill Action
* Illinois Department of Labor Director Hugo Chaviano Awards Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety to the Illinois Refining Division of Marathon Petroleum Company LP
* State Regulator Elected Treasurer of Interstate Medical Licensure Compact