Drilling down into the OR

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014

* Let’s revisit Greg Hinz’s interview of Bruce Rauner’s about convicted influence peddler Stu Levine…

“I didn’t have ‘a relationship’ with Levine. I didn’t know him,” Mr. Rauner told me. “I didn’t interact with him. What I’ve been told is that he was an employee of a company in which we had a minority interest.”

In further comments over our tea, Mr. Rauner said GTCR’s ownership in the medical-services company that employed Mr. Levine varied from 5 percent to 40 percent, depending on the time. Two other GTCR officials — not him — served on the board of the firm, he said. And the medical services firm was one of scores owned by GTCR at the time, all of which had a number of highly paid officials, he said, though I doubt too many people at just one firm made $300,000 a year.

* OK, first of all, let’s go to the April, 1999 SEC filing when the Compbenefits company was bought

It is anticipated that immediately after the Merger the following individuals and entities will beneficially own the number of shares of common stock and the number of shares of Convertible Preferred Stock of the Surviving Corporation shown in the following table.

The table shows that two GTCR funds were slated to own slightly over 40 percent of the new company’s stock. So, you’d think that Rauner’s firm would be looking at the company’s numbers pretty darned closely.

* A few months after that April, 1999 SEC filing, Rauner said this to the Wall Street Journal

“We spend a lot of time living with our companies on a week-to-week basis, understanding what’s going on, and being in the flow of information, so we can be helpful and knowledgeable about the operation. That’s a challenge for public investors. That’s where credibility and consistency and reputation counts for so much.”

* And this is where it gets interesting. Greg Hinz doubted yesterday that “too many people at just one firm made $300,000 a year.” Turns out, he was absolutely right.

Another 1999 SEC filing shows executive compensation at the medical-services company bought by Rauner’s firm.

According to that filing, the medical company’s CEO made $250,009 in 1998, the year before the merger. The company’s president and COO made $215,000 plus about ten grand in “other compensation.”

And yet, somehow this escaped Rauner’s notice.

As former TRS executive director Jon Bauman told Hinz, “On one hand, GTCR was one of four owners in a company that was one of maybe 80 to 100 in (its) portfolio. On the other, limited partners pay general partners (like GTCR) a good fee to know what’s going on in their portfolio companies and to be accountable for them. I’m missing the accountability here.”

* But, even so, other partners were in charge of the acquisition, and GTCR does have a whole lot of companies in its portfolio, so maybe Rauner really didn’t know. But it’s just a bit more difficult to take him at his word with this new information.

1. - Bill White - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 9:47 am:

Bill Brady had a good tweet, yesterday, about whether Rauner was a “hands on” manager.

Which would be worse? Rauner knowing about Stu Levine or Rauner NOT knowing about Stu Levine?

2. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 9:48 am:

Hmm.

I am not a financial wiz kid, so I may be off here;

Isn’t one of the largest liabilities a company has is its payroll? Doesn’t stock go UP when layoffs are made to a company because a liability is being reduced? When looking at your, arguably, largest liability, and there is a Top Liability, even great than the CEO and the COO, and couple that with the timing of when work was secured to when Levine came on board and the first failed pass for Illinois work …

and …

Someone who wants to run a state like a business know nothing, never met, never spoke… to the Largest Labor Liability his company has … and the contract employee, by timing …happens to secure work where it was so recently denied?

I still believe Rauner.

Sorry.

3. - PoolGuy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 9:51 am:

that’s what I don’t understand. you have a government affairs guy making $300K a year, in 1999, which is over $400k in todays’s dollars. now you know he was making more than the CEO at the time. ok so you only own 40% and you own shares in many other companies too, but no one asks “hey who is that guy making $300K and what is he doing for us to deserve a salary like that?” that’s a lot of scratch to just ignore they guy or not know who he is, in my opinion.

4. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 9:57 am:

As I have posted in previous threads. If Rauner did know about Levine, it’s a problem; if he did not know about Levine, it’s still a problem. Why? His primary qualification for the office of Governor is how he has been running his companies. Having a Stu Levine on his payroll in a prominent position indicates we can expect similar folks in his administration. If he’s hands-on, its because he knows what they do and how they do it. If he’s hands off, we’re looking at a kleptocracy.

5. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:02 am:

To the OR,

This is good meat, with little bone, but the issue for the “2PACS” is that hey need this in 30 seconds or a minute to make it work.

A 5 minute infomercial with charts and graphs connecting Stu Levine to Rauner seems to always incluse this long walk around the barn. Remedies?

I am always here to help.

Stu Levine was a fixer in Ilinois. Convicted of working the sytem and the state, and breaking the trust citizens had in its government.

Stu Levine got paid to work by Bruce Rauner’s Company, when Rauner was denied work in the first place.

Stu Levine looked out for Bruce Rauner at 25,000 dollars a month, With Stu Levine looking out for Bruce Rauner, how can Bruce Rauner look out for us?

The “art” is up to you, but keep it simple.

Trust and Integrity are at play here and can keep that theme within the Rauner/insider persona pretty easily.

Stu Levine is convicted, Bruce Rauner’s company made him the highest paid employee, the timing of when Levine was on the payroll, what happend prior, and what results Levine “got” for the Company …”A,B,C,D,E” is tough in 30 seconds, but don’t overthink it.

Of course, until a dime is spent on “education”, the only ones getting educated are the ones educating themselves here and a few other places like Hinz.

Seven Weeks to undo millions… boy, it better be the best, Dartmouth Quality, education Money … can’t deny.

6. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:04 am:

For those trolling for public pension dollars to manage, who didn’t know Stu Levine was the fixer on TRS? He wasn’t too shy about it.

7. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:07 am:

What really pains me is that Rauner wants to end the very pensions that were his largest source of capital, and that his company was involved in the pension business going back over the last 30 years. Not only does he want to end them, he does so with violent imagery, to smash them and the union representatives who bargain in good faith for their members.

I think of all the people I know who are public employees, who faithfully perform their job duties for many years and who sometimes don’t make it to retirement. A good number of my colleagues and friends left their jobs on the proverbial gurney.

I know this is about Rauner’s alleged relationship to Devine, but to me there’s another story here, and it’s not good.

8. - thechampaignlife - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:07 am:

Is it still in question when Levine was hired? I believe it was mentioned a couple days ago that they’ve been unable to locate the contract. That info should be available from Social Security as part of Levine’s earnings history, although the data is probably only available to the feds and Levine.

9. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:09 am:

I would, me, go up to Duluth, MN, like in a “Primary Colors” sorta way, just to ask a question or two.

Please forward all email questions you may want asked, and please, keep your questions within the boundaries of good taste.

Thanks.

10. - Downstater - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:13 am:

If guilt by some sort of affiliation is a reason not to vote for a candidate, then a lot of the candidates on the ballot should be held to the same standard used to judge Rauner. They aren’t. In a large financial firm, it is not unusual for the CEO to not be aware employees at companies they have investments in.

11. - paddyrollingstone - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:17 am:

I know this is juvenile but I couldn’t resist when I read the line, “In further comments over our tea . . . ”

12. - Meanderthal - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:23 am:

13. - SAP - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:24 am:

If I want to attack Bruce Rauner, his connection to Stu Levine gives me the chance to say “Rod Blagojevich” about 10 times in a 30-second commercial. I’d take advantage of every opportunity I can to tie Rauner to that particular piece of kryptonite instead of getting bogged down in the CompBenefits flowchart.

14. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:24 am:

===In a large financial firm, it is not unusual for the CEO to not be aware employees at companies they have investments in.===

Ok … how about …

===* In other words, Stu Levine’s $25K per month contract meant he was making more than the CEO and COO the year before the merger.

And yet, somehow this escaped Rauner’s notice.===

Hmm…

“Santiago wasn’t to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?”

If Bruce Rauner wants to run Illinois like a Business…and Bruce Rauner runs a campaign on accountablilty of running a business as a CEO, …how can Bruce Rauner think thet not knowing what is happeing in the hiring, or the contract life of Stu Levine is a good thing?”

Hmm…

“Lieutenant Kendrick ordered the Code Red, didn’t he, because that’s what you told Lieutenant Kendrick to do…And when it went bad …you cut these guys loose!”

“Was Stu Levine hired to secure that work? And now, when it’s going bad, and is seen as bad, in your campaign, you just deny everything. You cut yourself loose from a contract valued greater than the pay of the CEO and the COO?”

Food for thought.

15. - langhorne - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:28 am:

stuart levine? “i didnt have a relationship with the guy.” (my company did, ha, ha, gotcha, i had my fingers crossed.) do you like my jacket? do you know what time it is? i do.

16. - DuPage - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:34 am:

Rauner is either not telling the truth, or is extremely incompetent.
    $25000 a month? For someone who influences a multi-million contract this looks bad. Almost needs an investigation. Actually, no almost about it.

17. - Cook County Commoner - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:35 am:

The connection between Rauner and Levine is too thin. And the Rauner campaign could turn it around on opponents by pointing out that “fixers”, “Chinamen”, “facilitators” and the like are necessary to do business in Illinois due to corruption in government, which taints all his opponents.

18. - Bill White - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:37 am:

=== “i didnt have a relationship with the guy.” ===

Sounds a lot like Bill and Monica.

19. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:38 am:

===And the Rauner campaign could turn it around on opponents by pointing out that “fixers”, “Chinamen”, “facilitators” and the like are necessary to do business in Illinois due to corruption in government, which taints all his opponents.===

So …

Bruce Rauner IS an insider, just, according to Rauner, just not as corrupt as those he is running against?

So you are saying Bruce Rauner says, “Fine, but my sweetheart deals and insider dealings are not as bad as …”

If you want to stipulate that everything up to the $18 Watch and prestine Carhartt jacket are a facade and Bruce Rauner is exactly what he is running against, and has been part of the problem.

If you stipulate that … then …Ok. Point taken.

20. - nomenclature - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:39 am:

sad.

21. - Beating Up On Bruce Again Today??? - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:43 am:

22. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:47 am:

===Are you having fun today beating up on Bruce??? Just remember that Illinois burned when the other 4 fiddled.===

Didn’t you yesterday ask what this blog would do if it didn’t have Bruce Rauner to kick around?

Look, when you want to defend Rauner, and have valid arguements to take on the criticism, bring it.

Having a Dopey drive-by, and thinking, sumgly, that your post washes away “Bruce Rauner” and his connection to Bruce Rauner … think again.

Am I having fun?

Not in the least. It makes me ill that “Bruce Rauner” thinks hiding who Bruce Rauner is makes for an honest campaign.

“With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy”

23. - Try-4Truth - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:48 am:

- Beating Up On Bruce Again Today??? - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:43 am:

I didn’t tell Bruce to run for Governor. That’s the price of admission. If you want to be a public official, you have to face public scrutiny. You can’t buy off all 13 million of us Illinoisans. Welcome to Democracy rich people!

24. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:49 am:

As complicated as Rauner’s finances and connections are…

Did any of his political advisers suggest doing internal opposition research?

Or did they just see a Scott Lee Cohen candidate waiting to be fleeced?

Is a guy who is easily conned by political consultants qualified to run State of Illinois?

25. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:50 am:

Willy, I’m sorry. I was the one who posted Are You Beating Up On Bruce. I couldn’t help myself. After reading about Devine and the nursing homes, I needed comic relief–even if I was the only one laughing.

26. - Try-4Truth - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:50 am:

BTW Willy, I love your homage to Mr. Speaker there. Very well done.

27. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:51 am:

Rauner pleading that he’s an outsider might work.

The Corporate Media in Illinois is weak and has shown it’s willing to cover for candidates aligned with the state’s economic elites, eg Mark Kirk.

28. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:54 am:

Who gets the impression Bruce Rauner has a Bill Brady, Jason Plummer or Rod Blagojevich moment coming where he gets asked a question and…

There are a bunch of “umms”, “errs”, dead air and then an attempt to change the subject?

29. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:54 am:

===BTW Willy, I love your homage to Mr. Speaker there. Very well done.===

Not one single ounce of snark, not one bit;

If I got a letter, even on political letterhead, addressed to OW, just to even say I am a dope, and had THAT close … I would frame and hang that up.

That close, and it with the MJM persona, how good is that?

Glad you, and I hope others, catch the homage. One of the best ways to SAY what you really want to say in a close.

Plus, Rich “owns” his own phrase…

30. - Downstater - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:56 am:

=If Levine had done anything improper for this company or the private equity firm, wouldn’t it have come out in the federal investigation of him or Rezko or Blagojevich? It seems like all the rest of Levine’s sordid history did ad nauseum.

31. - Samurai - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:56 am:

Wonder if they mailed Stuart’s check, wire transferred the 25K or if he stopped by the Combenefit office once a month to grab the check.

32. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 10:58 am:

Speaking of TV commercials…

I would consider one making the case Bruce Rauner is like George Ryan.

There’s a swirl of bad stuff. There’s no known direct ties. But, like with George Ryan, the money ended-up in the boss’ pocket. With Stu Levine, public pension funds and campaign contributions of $100K and more… You connect the dots.

33. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:01 am:

“Rauner conspiracy theory groupies”

I’m not one of those yet. I’m a Rauner is a total hypocrite for attacking pensions and unions when it suits his ambitions after making millions off of them groupie.

34. - Fred Derf - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:01 am:

C’mon people. If there was anything going on here why would Patrick Fitzgerald or the SEC have give Levine or Rauner a pass.
    The real media knows this and that’s why they aren’t giving this any coverage.

35. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:05 am:

=== ===The feds used a cooperating Levine to hang Rezko and Blagojevich, if he had anything on Rauner or his firm the feds would have used him for that too I suspect. ===

The Rauner conspiracy theory groupies must have forgotten about this little detail. ===

My rule of thumb is to never, ever, speculate what the “guys down the street” think, thought, know, knew …

I don’t have the first clue on anything illegal going on, not one clue or thought;

I do know that Stu Levine was paid by Rauner’s company, at a rate higher than the higest Executives, and the idea that the liability of labor costs being important in a compnay… the idea that Levine, and Bruce Rauner was “unaware”, seems to fly in the face of the “Hands on, State as a Business, CEO” persona, Carhartt coat notwithsatnding.

Anyone here wants to go down the Feds road, I wish you well. I will not. I have nothing to make me think any of the criminality is relevant to specualte on, unless direct knowledge of what the decision makers … decided … and is just pure Folly by anyone.

36. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:12 am:

Oh, - Grandson of Man -, no need to apologize;

You snark, and the Raunerbot Talking Points… they were just too close for a dope like me to see that as snark on its “face.”

My post, I stand by the sentiment. No hard feelings, - Grandson of Man -, I hope you can see why I couldn’t see the humor from the get-go.

OW.

37. - wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:27 am:

–The real media knows this and that’s why they aren’t giving this any coverage.–

What “real media” outlet hasn’t run a Rauner/Levine story?

You whiners sure make your guy look fragile.

38. - Grandson of Man - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:29 am:

Willy, I was mimicking some of the ridiculously thin-skinned Raunerbot usernames. Some of the names I’ve seen lately cracked me up pretty good. For folks with the lead in the polls and the money, they are pretty thin-skinned.

39. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:37 am:

- Grandson of Man -,

Understand what is at stake here, and what is at play too.

What is at stake is the unveiling of Bruce Rauner, and the dismantling of “Bruce Rauner”with story after story getting more sunshie.

What is at play is the dulling of the knives, to make deep cuts seem like paper cuts.

That is the game now.

The “3″ refused for months upon months to unmask, or un-Carhartt “Bruce Rauner” as Ad after Ad propped up the “Prop”… “Bruce Rauner”.

Now, with every chance to make these cuts be paper cuts, the Raunerbots would rather go after those with legit questions and/or concerns than answer and help unzip the Carhartt.

The rest is just “Dramady”, drama and comedy of something so disingenuous, the race is to see who can fool the voters, and who can educate the voters.

The big money ….is on the fooling, and the Big Money thinks so too.

40. - CollegeStudent - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:39 am:

====Are you having fun today beating up on Bruce??? Just remember that Illinois burned when the other 4 fiddled. ====

They may be fiddling, but Brucie’s dumping gasoline on the fire and calling it water.

41. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 11:52 am:

Levine was making more than the CEO, and Rauner had no idea?

It is insulting he thinks we are so dumb as to believe that.

42. - Think About It - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 12:09 pm:

Mr. Rauner…..with all do respect, you need to stop the lies. It’s beyond comical. It’s just plain sad. And I’d like to say that I feel sorry for you, but you created your own monster. These are no longer rookie mistakes, these are no longer bully mistakes. This is just plain dumb!

43. - Percival - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 12:32 pm:

We can blog and get snarky, but until one or more of (a) the media; (b) opponents; or (c) the unions go after him to pin things down and confront his lengthening list of inconsistencies, the average voter will have no clue at the polling booth.

44. - Anon - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 12:53 pm:

== When you employ a guy that you’re personally pitching for public pension business, that’s a conflict-of-interest on its face. That’s why Rauner is doing the Sgt. Schultz routine.==

== Levine was making more than the CEO, and Rauner had no idea? ==

Rauner likes to accuse unions of a conflict of interest for donating to state pols. Union donations are “bribes” per Rauner. How about taking the plank out of his own eye first?

45. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 1:23 pm:

==the idea that Levine, and Bruce Rauner was “unaware”, seems to fly in the face of the “Hands on, State as a Business, CEO” persona==

Exactly the point the Raunerbots keep ignoring. Either Bruce is a hands-on kind of guy as he wants us to think, in which case he must have known about Levine OR he’s actually hands-off and we can expect him to look the other way while the next Levine works his state appointment to personal advantage. Same goes for the nursing home stuff and whatever else comes up.

46. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

I have a question for the Rauner supporters: Is your guy really a hands-on, detail-oriented leader or is he not?

47. - just pandering - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 2:33 pm:

There’s a reason Rauner wears a barn coat in his commercials. There seems to be an awful lot of manure in his shed.

48. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 2:53 pm:

Knock, knock

Who’s there?

Bruce Rauner.

Is that insider Bruce or outside Bruce?

Should I be asking you for $10K or more? Or you one of the chumps I just want a vote from?

49. - 47th Ward - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

C’mon Carl, insider Bruce wouldn’t have to knock.

50. - Decaf Coffee Party - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

So, as I read one of the stories, it seemed like the initial presentation to TRS did not go so well, that the presenter was unprepared.
    Enter Rauner.
    One would then presume that Rauner prepared himself well for the second, and final, chance to get the TRS funds. And, being the very smart businessman that he is (no snark intended), as Rauner prepared to make a pitch to the board he did not know or come to know that one of the board members he was pitching to was an employee of one of Rauner’s own companies and that might be a conflict of interest that should have been disclosed? Hmmmmm…

51. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:22 pm:

===C’mon Carl, insider Bruce wouldn’t have to knock.===

Bruce also knows the “secret handshake”, has the key to the “Chapter Rutual Room”, is on the “Chapter Composite”, was “Rush Chairman”, and even was President of the Inter-Fraternity Council.

Knock? Bruce makes sure only the select few het keys!

52. - Upon Further Review - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:33 pm:

I am issuing a full and public apology to Bruce Rauner. I have it on good authority that buttered scones were served at his tea party with Greg Hinz, the Mad Hatter, Alice and the White Rabbit.

53. - Downstater - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

Oswego, you could only dream people outside of this blog would pay any attention to your cute comments. Dribble best describes most of them.
    What do you stand for and who do you support? Are you just another cynic grasping for attention?

54. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:50 pm:

- Downstater -,

I don’t know if anyone on this BLOG pays attention to my comments. I guess they do, since some respond back, but its safe to say a vast majority doesn’t. It’s more than possible.

Dribble is “cute”, Drivel is probaly more accurate for your idea of a slam.

Use it. You’re Welcome!

Who do I support, who do I stand for? Use the “Search” Key, and if you have anything direct to ask me, I will respond.

Am I cynic? I can be, but usually, I try to come up with ways to solve, or give an avenue to attack/defend, and “why”.

Finally, my “audience” is here, if you don’t “get” what I am doing or trying to do, that is on you.

Keep attacking me, and ignoring the hypocrisy that is “Bruce Rauner”. If that makes it “better” for you, then go ahead, because unlike Bruce Rauner, I can take it.

“With kindest personal regards, I remain.

Sincerely yours,

Oswego Willy”

55. - Carl Nyberg - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:51 pm:

How much do you figure Rauner would pay Oswego Willy to not comment on Rauner through the primary?

56. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 3:54 pm:

- Carl Nyberg -,

You and - AA - work out the deal, you take 5%, and - AA- and - wordslinger get the usual “cut” partners in the Firm usualy divvy up.

I think the Rauner Crew has our contact info…

57. - PoolGuy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 4:11 pm:

Downstater, and I thought this was a pick on Rauner page not pick on OW… :) Rich can start one of those i guess

58. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

- PoolGuy -,

Before that Post gets all set, lemme get my tattered, actually worn Carhartt out of the front closet, and I think I got a cheap watch as a gift a few years back…

59. - Wordslinger - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 4:38 pm:

Dudes, are you kidding me?

Bruce: I’m the one who knocks! (”Breaking Bad”).

(Got that parenthical “Goldmember” thing going on.” )

60. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 14 @ 5:01 pm:

Ya know, this article and responses made me think of … Mr. Leland…

“You don’t care about anything except you. You just want to persuade people that you love ‘em so much that they ought to love you back. Only you want love on your own terms. Something to be played your way, according to your rules.”

Hmmm.

Or, …

“Campaigner: There is only one man who can rid the politics of this State of the evil domination of the Union Bosses and Career Politicans. I am speaking of Bruce Rauner, the fighting Outsider, the friend of the working man, the foe to the Union Bosses, and the next Governor of this State, who entered upon this campaign –

Rauner: with one purpose only: to point out and make public the dishonesty, the downright villainy, of the Union Bosses and the political machine — now in complete control of the government of this State! I made no campaign promises, you just need believe me.

Now, however, I have something more than a hope. And Career Politicans and Union Bosses have something less than a chance. Every straw vote, every independent poll shows that I’ll be elected. Now I can afford to make some promises!

The working man — The working man and the child, looking for an education, know they can expect my best efforts in their interests. The decent, ordinary citizens know that I’ll do everything in my power to protect the underprivileged, the underpaid, and those under the thumbs of Union Bosses and Career Politicans!

Well, I’d make my promises now if I weren’t too busy arranging to keep them.

Here’s one promise I’ll make, and all the Union Bosses and Career Politicans know I’ll keep it: My first official act as Governor of this State will be to appoint a Special District Attorney to arrange for the indictment, prosecution, and conviction of all the Union Bosses and Career Politicians!”

Wow. Only had to change the Rauner 2014 Buzz Words, and that piece of writing, stood up to what is being “sold” to us today.

I wish I knew if Orson Welles would be flattered or disappointed in 21st Centruy politics.

* No pension bump for Stermer, MJM still not persuaded on special session
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - More comptroller stuff
* 1:30 comptroller announcement expected - Stermer appointed, says he will resign January 12th
* Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Bears open thread
* More adventures in misgovernance
* Question of the day - Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Petulance all around

* Galaxy S6 evidence, Sony Xperia Z4 leak, Lumia Denim & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Deezer update: lyrics you can read or sing-along to
        * Rovio updates Angry Birds Epic RPG with player vs player gameplay
        * Google confirms NVIDIA Tegra K1 as Project Ara SoC option
        * Looney Tunes make a comeback on mobile devices with new game
        * Samsung Galaxy J1 tipped as upcoming entry-level Android
        * Oppo R5 review: Thin is an understatement

* Lian-Li O Series: Thin and Slek Wall-Mountable Chassis
        * Xbox One VR Kit In The Pipeline (Rumor)
        * Sony Teaser Video On What To Expect At CES 2015