I get letters

Monday, Jul 14, 2014

* From a reader…

Considering that I depend on you being the most reliable and dependable source for anything political in Illinois, I seldom have reason to criticize your blog ( often I find the comments as interesting and telling as the article itself ), however, I must comment on an omission.

Southern Illinois has lost two giants in the past days - Al “The Pal” Dixon and Ken “Pass the Pork” Gray. I’m 65 years old and knew both men, albeit not as well as the late Paul Simon ( he and my parents grew up together ). I believe I remember seeing mention of Dixon’s death and some tributes, but have seen nothing yet about Ken Gray. Love him or hate him he was a unique, genuine, flamboyant and passionate individual who did much for his constituents and his district. I’m certain that many will have pointed and interesting comments about his years in congress and his contribution to my part of the State.

Thank you.

1. - Ray del Camino - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:54 pm:

If it weren’t for Kenny Gray, and then Jerry Costello, there’d hardly be any pavement in Southern Illinois. “Pork” is how poor areas get a piece of the pie. God bless Kenny Gray, and godspeed sen. Dixon.

2. - Tommydanger - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:56 pm:

As for Alan Dixon, I have seen many a Democrat stump speech in my day and Dixon’s was among the best. When he finished you wanted to go right out and start knocking on doors. Like too many other things these days, they just don’t make em like that anymore. Rest in peace Senator Dixon.

3. - Chi - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

I’d never heard of Ken Gray, but a quick perusal of his Wikipedia page makes me think I missed out on knowing quite a character. Godspeed.

4. - Wumpus - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:58 pm:

With those nicknames, they must have been something special.

5. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

I don’t like butt-kissers, but I fully agree with this gentleman’s first paragraph. By the way, I’m referring to my butt-kissing here, not the gentleman’s. You are the best, fairest, smartest political observer in the blog world. I don’t drink but if I did right about now I’d be mentioning where I just happen to do my drinking. Free is always best, don’t you think?

6. - Nieva - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

Grey was good for the south but he was also good for himself. Grey Plaza Motels up and down I57.

7. - Old Shepherd - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

For those of us who grew up in Southern Illinois, Ken Grey was a true legend. With his showmanship, flamboyant dress and hair, and unique style, he was a true celebrity. Love him or hate him, one cannot argue with the results of his efforts. One also cannot argue that he walked among giants such as Kennedy and Johnson. He is part of a bygone era, and we in Southern Illinois are grateful for the life he led and what he was able to do for us.

8. - The Prince - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:10 pm:

I was wondering why Ken Gray’s death did not lead off this morning (or even appear over the weekend.)

9. - wordslinger - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:14 pm:

Dixon did have a whale of a stump speech. You could tell he really loved politics, and you never really heard a bad word about him until Al Hofeld came around.

Didn’t Kenny Gray pop up recently saying that JFK wanted him to run for president in ‘68? Wonder if LBJ and Bobby knew.

10. - 47th Ward - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:17 pm:

===Didn’t Kenny Gray pop up recently saying that JFK wanted him to run for president in ‘68?===

No, I’m pretty sure that was Phil Spector.

11. - Under Further Review - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:26 pm:

Al Dixon was a centrist. If there were more candidates like him, the partisan divide would be much less hostile. I am afraid that Dixon would not be acceptable to many of the Democratic Party leaders today.

12. - Jak Tichenor - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:34 pm:

Ken Gray earned the title the “Prince of Pork” by managing to get seven billion dollars worth of federal public works projects located in his Southern Illinois Congressional District in 24-years on Capitol Hill. He said “if building housing, if building roads, if building schools and post offices, and bringing back some of the tax money you sent to Washington is pork, then pass me the plate.”

I once ran into him by chance on the Mall in Washington one Saturday afternoon. He was wearing white shoes, white pants, a white shirt, and a white Skoal Bandit sun visor. He never missed a beat and said “Hello, Tiger” which is how he greeted any male reporter who covered his beat. Covering his political events was like covering a tent tent rival…all that was lacking was the altar call. Rest in Peace, Congressman. You were one of a kind.

13. - downstate demo - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:36 pm:

Dixon was a real political person who could communicate with anyone. A real gentleman.
    Ken Gray was gospel singing, true southern pol like Huey Long.One wonders where Kenny came up with story about replacing JFK in 1968. Southern Illinois loved Kenny. One has to believe that Alan Dixon was the best at what he did best being Al the Pal.

14. - SilverStreak - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:44 pm:

Ken Gray didn’t know me from Adam in 1963. I was a college kid walking the halls of Congress (which we could do those days)looking for a summer job in Washington. I wasn’t a constituent or a donor, just a kid from rural Illinois. He saw me in the hall, and said Hey, who are you and where are you from? He invited me into his office, picked up a phone, put it down and said go see Mr. X at the Dept. of Y right now. And, I had a good and substantive job, with a real paycheck, for one of the most memorable summers Washington has ever seen. Ken Gray was a kind and generous man.

15. - Steve Brown - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:46 pm:

Both men were legendary. I recall a Ken Gray’s TV commercial from the ’70s when I was at SIU. He had a map of his district with lites that went on for each project during his tenure. Map looked like Christmas when he was done.
    I covered Senator Dixon and sought his advice after I went to work for the city and state. Always solid thinking. Always top notch staff.
    He did what he thought was right. Even if you disagreed you could not question Alan’s reasoning.
    The number of folks he helped could be a million + . I am happy to have known Alan. I am sure his family will always cherish his work for so many.

16. - wordslinger - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

–Had he pushed back against Richard J. he would have beat JRT. That probably meant no Edgar either. Had he mended fences a little after Clarence Thomas he would have been reelected.–

Steve, those are interesting “what ifs.”

I used to have a “Dixon for Governor” button somewhere. He was ready to go in ‘76 — and Daley was gone before the year was out.

He could have walked on the Thomas vote, too. It wasn’t needed. The Bush political crew should have released him from his pledge.

17. - Anon - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:56 pm:

Today’s holier-than-thou reporters, who use such a flexible definition of corruption, disapprove of pols who do favors and who bring home the pork. This inability to distinguish criminal corruption from politics as usual is a reason the public is so cynical about politicians in general.

18. - Fan of Cap Fax - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:56 pm:

There was nothing like seeing Ken Gray in his golf cart riding around the DuQuoin State Fair. He knew everyone and everyone wanted to shake his hand. What a guy! I was fortunate enough to visit his place in Florida, right after I moved to Atlanta, GA. Before I left he picked up the phone and called Mayor Andrew Young and told him to make sure Atlanta treated me right. And it did. Heaven must be hopping since Ken got there! There’ll never be another Ken Gray!

19. - ??? - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:10 pm:

SilverStreak, that’s a great story!

20. - Arizona Bob - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:13 pm:

Both men will be sorely missed. With those two politicking for us up in heaven, look for cooler summers and warmer winters.

If, by some chance, they wound up in those infernal furnaces down below, look for a deal between the Devil and the Southern Illinois coal producers to keep those furnaces stoked!LOL

21. - Joe Schmoe - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:42 pm:

As a reporter in the 70’s and early 80’s Kenny Gray and Al Dixon were always guaranteed to be great interviews. I respected both of them for what they stood for. Like others have said, they weren’t homogenized like today’s politicians but they sure came through for their constituents.

22. - steve schnorf - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:58 pm:

Anon 3:56–Well said!

23. - Under Further Review - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

Al Hofeld demolished Dixon in the weeks leading up to the primary and Carol Moseley Braun wound up with the nomination by a plurality. Hofeld finished third.

Carol Moseley Braun was one and done as a US Senator. I cannot think of anything significant connected with her one term.

Illinois lost big time when Dixon left office.

24. - justbabs - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:05 pm:

When I met Kenny Gray in the 80’s, he introduced himself to me as the “Prince of Pork.” No one else looked like him or dressed like him in DC. You could always pick him out of a crowd, but he usually picked you out first. He was an original.

25. - Under Further Review - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:14 pm:

Southern Illinois must have had a powerful one, two punch when both Mel Price and Ken Gray were in office. Price had a reputation for bringing home big dollars to his district also.

26. - Jim Muir - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:19 pm:

I grew up hearing stories about Kenny Gray and all he did for Southern Illinois. A couple of true stories are worth repeating. A young man was thinking about running for office and sought Gray’s advice. Gray told him he thought he would be great for the office he was seeking. Gray ended the conversation by telling the young man: ‘I hope you win … and I can be for you or against you … whichever one will help you the most.’ Another time he offered this sage advice to a young man running for office: ‘When you’re campaigning the only person you can believe for sure is the guy who looks you square in the eye and says ‘hell no I won’t vote for you.’ He was a true legend in Southern Illinois. RIP Congressman Gray.

27. - Fayette County - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:35 pm:

Ken Gray was the first Congressman I was able to vote for in the early 80s. I remember my dad telling me to be sure and vote for the Prince of Pork so Southern Illinois would get something back from DC. I met him once and he made an impression that definitely stayed with me. Dixon was always one of my favorite politicians. A middle of the road guy who was quite a speaker on the stump. It was a loss to not just Illinois but the country when he lost the Senate race. More men and women like him in Congress today would benefit all of us rather we are Democrats or Republicans.

28. - x ace - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 6:06 pm:

Upon being introduced , I said : ” It’s a pleasure to meet the Legendary Kenny Gray”

He laughed and said : “Yeah, I started the Legend Stuff Myself”

29. - dr. reason a. goodwin - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 9:02 pm:

Kenny once gave me a private tour of the Capitol Building. He told me several stories that I’m sure weren’t on the official tour. He was one of a kind and relentless booster of his district.

I wish we had a few Dixons in the Senate now. He perfected the art of governing by cooperation and compromise.

I enjoyed covering and knowing them both.

30. - Johninchicago - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 10:16 pm:

Senator Dixon was a true statesman and a gentleman. Sadly we don’t seem to have men like him in govermenmt anymore.

31. - WootBaseball - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 12:53 am:

Dr. Goodwin, you were great on Password with Allen Ludden.

32. - vole - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 5:52 am:

The Kaskaskia barge canal, one of Gray’s accomplishments, remains one of IL’ greatest ecological catastrophes.

33. - kimocat - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 9:35 am:

I had dealings with Ken Gray on a number of occasions. In addition to his “pork loving activities”, he also “expressed” a fondness for the ladies that would be interpreted today as exceeding appropriate behavior. And there was no shortage of cleavage in his D.C. office.

34. - Northern Light - Wednesday, Jul 16, 14 @ 1:25 am:

Kenny Gray was one of a kind. He was great for southern Illinois and a character like Huey Long. I had braces on my teeth and he was flirting with me upon meeting me while I was at SIU Carbondale. I will never forget him telling me that “he saw lightening bolts coming off my braces” (I was so hot). I just laughed…who couldn’t? He was a TRIP. Rest in peace good gent.

* This just in... $12 million contribution to Leader Durkin, $2 million to Munger
* *** UPDATED x2 *** Duckworth doesn't play in Peoria
* *** UPDATED x1 *** Let's be careful out there
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Political events calendar
* *** UPDATED x1 *** What today's cyber attack could mean for election day
* Rewriting history
* Army Corps of Engineers taking back state park
* Fire everything!!!
* More horrible pension news
* More flowery Madigan praise from Bradley
* Because... Madigan!
* Looking on the dark side
* Lawyers: Mayor Emanuel is "not a policymaker for the city"
* Duckworth has huge cash advantage
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - Supplement to today’s edition and a campaign roundup
* Good morning!

* T-Mobile is charging a penny a minute for “out-of-plan” numbers
* Over 100,000 iPhone 7 sales in Korea on Friday, LG V20 up 20 percent in a month
* Blass leaks Long Island project, the Huawei Mate 9 Pro
* AT&T buys Time Warner for $85 billion
* Let’s chat Nintendo Switch and LeReactions to LeEco Le Pro 3 | #PNWeekly 223
* Should Microsoft give up on Windows 10 Mobile?
* Google makes it easy to get screen replacements for the Pixel and Pixel XL

* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* Getz to oversee White Sox Minor Leagues
* International draft stands to benefit White Sox
* Davidson reflects on 'whirlwind' 2016 season
* Starting pitcher rankings: White Sox have four of them
* Podcast: 2016 Chicago White Sox Infield Review
* White Sox Rumors: Sox hire Chris Getz as new Director Of Player Dev...

* Rauner administration awards 1100 non-union wor.....
* Editorial: Rauner gets an A for closing F House.....

* The Latest: President Obama, White Sox fan, cheers on Cubs

* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work
* Central Illinois soldier killed in Afghanistan
* Rauner administration awarding more than $3 million in bonuses to non-union workers
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through stopgap budget
* Survey: 386 state jobs could relocate to Springfield
* SIU injury-prevention program reinstated through state's stopgap spending plan

* Like our roundup? Share it around.
* AT&T buying Time Warner in $86 billion deal
* It's official: AT&T buys Time Warner for $85 billion
* There's a new way to replace old gas mains—but not in Chicago
* Is Neapolitan's Kelly Golden the new reigning queen of fashion?

* Man critically wounded in Hermosa shooting
* Far-flung Cubs fans just as fanatical as Chicagoans
* Man critically wounded in Wrightwood shooting
* Man in custody after 2 shot in Englewood
* Toy companies break down barriers to be more inclusive
* Prince Albert buys Philadelphia home of mom Grace Kelly
* DJ Khaled and fiancée welcome baby boy on Snapchat
* Tyler Perry’s ‘Madea’ tops Cruise’s ‘Jack Reacher’ sequel
* Man shot in leg in Lawndale
* First-and-10: Bears still need Jay Cutler … for now

* 1 dead, 10 wounded in Sunday shootings
* In Mexico's murder capital, signs of gold rush are emerging
* On Nov. 9, let's forget Donald Trump happened
* Brent Seabrook, Michal Kempny work to overcome language barrier on ice
* Cubs World Series tickets averaging more than Super Bowl tickets, analysts say
* 13 dead, 31 injured after tour bus and semi-truck crash in California
* Brother Rice, Loyola could meet again in Class 8A football quarterfinals
* Even the Bulls are impressed by Cubs' winning ways
* Four killed, 11 wounded in citywide shootings
* Jason Hammel, Matt Szczur not playing but feel like part of Cubs' success

The widget AQL4JYGHIY powered by Feed Informer does not exist.

* Our Opinion: Leslie Munger endorsed for Illinois comptroller
* Feds end lease with Illinois for state park, citing neglect
* Our Opinion: With poor choices, Clinton gets nod for president
* Statehouse Insider: Tomorrow's a new day; in Illinois, that may not be good
* Bernard Schoenburg: DelGiorno apologizes for backer's vulgar Facebook post
* Cooler temperatures lead to greater needs
* Women for Women tops half million mark
* Cook County lawyer who posed as judge criminally charged
* 1,100 non-union state workers getting $3,016 bonuses
* Springfield veteran honored for volunteer work

* Fire reported in Champaign
* BU seniors hope to flood South Peoria in light
* Doctors in Recital benefits music therapy, hospice care
* Mayfair Park Halloween Parade
* Attention Cubs Fans: Share your stories!
* Work crews help Moline firefighters reach building fire
* READER CALLOUT - Submit your Veterans Day activities
* Submit your Veterans Day activities
* Scarecrow Shenanigans brings families to museum
* LIVE! Selection Saturday

* Vernon Hills man, 29, identified as motorcyclist killed in Buffalo Grove crash
* For Chicago Cubs' Epstein, vision accomplished
* Chicago Cubs great Williams thinking of Banks, Santo
* Motorcyclist killed in Buffalo Grove crash
* USC suspends senior LB Jabari Ruffin indefinitely

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Photos: State's Attorney Glasgow, Senator ......

* Should A Stroke Disqualify A Candidate? - ......

* Chicago #Cubs championship history #postseason
* What a difference, a year makes
* Go #Cubs go #flythew #postseason
* Morning Minute: NAR identifies top home buyer and seller trends over last 35 years
* Illinois REALTORS® give Rep. McAuliffe IE support
* They've Got The Power, They've Got The Speed, To Be The Best In The National League
* EXTRA: It’s about time!!!
* Walls closing in on Rhonda Crawford. What should the sanction be?
* Gooseberry Playlot Nears Completion On Malden

* Illinois EPA Sponsors Interactive Environmental Education Event with Riverton Elementary School - Riverton Third and Fourth Graders “Dive In!” to Celebrate the Environment
* Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs Honors Veteran Mr. George Pempek
* Illinois Partners with State of Telangana, India to Strengthen Smart State Initiatives - State to state agreement to accelerate opportunities and service to citizens
* Illinois EPA Announces Vehicle Emissions Testing Network Updates - New Contract to Offer More Efficient, Less Expensive Tests
* Annual Training Underway For Gas Station Owners, Service Technicans