Question of the day

Monday, Jul 14, 2014

* David Hammond

Over 10 years ago, I debated with left-leaning friends about the ethics of purchasing products from Oberweis Dairy, a company owned by a family whose political opinions some of us considered unacceptable. At that time, an Oberweis was running for Senate.

I’ve always liked Oberweis products and my feeling remains that if the food is good, I’m going to shop there.

I’m not saying that I’d drink at the Herman Goering Brewery and Bath House, but generally considered, if you start taking into account all kinds of disagreeable personal issues related to store owners, then you might not shop anywhere ever again. Still, there are limits.

Hobby Lobby is now in the news as a result of the SCOTUS ruling that allows them to avoid covering certain kinds of contraceptives for their employees. This ruling raises important questions about the limits of an employer’s power over employee lives, reproductive rights, separation of church-state, and other big issues. I do believe, along with dissenting Justice Ginsburg, that the court is “stepping into a minefield” with this ruling. I mean, where does it end? Will I patronize Hobby Lobby? Well, I never have and I don’t even know where their nearest store is located, so I guess I’ll confront that issue in the unlikely event I ever have to buy something at that store.

He then goes on to write that he would likely boycott Walgreen’s (a former client of his) if the company moves to Switzerland to avoid US taxation.

* The Question: Other than for personal service-based reasons, have you ever boycotted a corporation? Take the poll and then explain your answer in comments, please.

survey solutions

1. - 3rd Generation Chicago Native - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:28 pm:

Is Hobby Lobby going to implement a generous family leave?
    I am sure they are going to be the first to implement the new laws for pregnant women, letting them sit down a few minutes each hour, and offer daycare? Right? Since they want to encourage family they have no problems with parents taking off to care for sick children, go to school events, such as parent teacher conferences, sponsor youth sports? I am sure no one will ever be fired for taking time off for child related absences? Right?

2. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

Let’s stick to the question, please.

3. - Lycurgus - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:29 pm:

Maybe David should boycott other Swiss companies too. Novartis (except he’ll want Maalox for treating the heartburn caused by his hypocrisy), Roche Group (although he’ll want Tamiflu for when he gets sick to his stomach over corporations seeking lower costs), and Nestle (except for that Perrier they enjoy in Oak Park). Cheers.

4. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

Again, stick to the question. Last warning before deletions begin, as well as possible banishments.

5. - Centennial - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:30 pm:

I don’t eat at Chick-fil-a. They make my blood boil.

6. - Stones - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:31 pm:

Voted yes. Haven’t patronized Chick Fil A since the LGBT controversy. I just feel like corporations ought to stick to what they are set up to do (make $$$) rather than take stands on controversial social issues regardless of your personal opinion on said issue.

7. - Skeptic - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

Wal*Mart because of the way they treat their customers, and BP for (a) That oil spill in the gulf and (b) when they wanted to vastly increase the amount of waste they dump into Lake Michigan. And Chick-Fil-Aaaa for their anti-gay stance. And Jimmy Johns too. And a couple other places-that-shall-not-be-named because of who owns them (they’re mom-and-pop kind of places.)

An interesting follow-up question might be the opposite…have you ever *gone* to a business for these sorts of reasons?

8. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:34 pm:

I stopped buying Oberweis products in 2006 when he ran those horrible ads against Judy Baar Topinka

9. - OneMan - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

When a I saw a story years ago about how Cracker Barrel was discriminatory in some hiring practices…

I decided to never eat there, even made the family leave once when they wanted to eat there.

10. - KGB - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

I still boycott Oberweis.
    Have not stepped in Chik Fil A since owners comments.
    Won’t patronize Hobby Lobby (but I never have occasionn to do so).
    …But I do go to Hooters!

11. - ??? - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

Many years ago, I boycotted Snapple because someone told me they donated funds to Operation Rescue. I was naive and dumb and believed the person who told me, rather than researching it myself. I later found out that those rumors were untrue, but since I was never a major fan of Snapple in the first place, not purchasing their products was no great sacrifice.

That was the only time I boycotted a corporation. I tend to agree with the author - if a product is good, I will continue to buy it.

12. - Bunson8r - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:35 pm:

I stopped buying Barilla pasta when its chairman made homophobic remarks.

13. - Smells like Arby's - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:36 pm:

The only reason that I tried a sandwich from Chick-fil-a is because of all the controversy - I wanted to see what the hubbub was about.

It was good, but pricey for fast food, so I haven’t been back since.

14. - LizPhairTax - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:37 pm:

Jimmy John’s since the “I’m going to move” whining started. I know that they are franchises so I’m not really hitting JJ where it hurts but whatever. Also, a lot easier to do since they’re kind of garbage sandwiches anyway.

15. - Todd - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:38 pm:

yea there are places with the no concealed carry signs that I won’t go into.

16. - Smells like Arby's - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:39 pm:

I honestly can’t think of any reason that would drive me to boycott a product unless it had to do with the actual product itself - for instance meat from animals that were treated inhumanely - in that case it’s actually about the product.

If the owner of the meat company were a racist, I could not care less.

17. - Nieva - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:41 pm:

I refuse to go in any business that has a no firearm policy. This includes Target and NAPA.

18. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:44 pm:

I don’t patronize any corporation whose views I disapprove of, not because their views disagree with mine, but because oddly enough, they all seem to make crappy products / have crappy service.

Papa John’s pizza? Awful.
    Oberweiss Dairy? Overpriced.
    Hobby Lobby? Crappy service.
    Chick-fil-A? Garbage.

19. - Archiesmom - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:45 pm:

Yes. Chick-Fil-As, Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel and Barilla. And I will pull all my business from Walgreens if they go overseas. I vote progressive with my dollars as well as my ballot.

20. - Grandson of Man - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

Yes, generally. I won’t name them, of course, but I boycott corporations and products because of the public policy their owners or leaders support or fund. I boycott companies whose leaders are among those attacking labor rights, who are against gay marriage, who are against raising the minimum wage, who attack the public sector, etc.

On the other hand, I patronize corporations and businesses who treat their workers better and who in my opinion have better public policy. There are lots of these, and they are big corporations and CEO’s.

21. - anon - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:46 pm:

I don’t by Oberweis products; boycotted Shell when they booted the union from an area mine. Also write companies letting them know I won’t buy their product because of the programming they sponsor.

22. - John A Logan - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:48 pm:

I have tried to avoid Wal Mart as much as possible over the years. Their contribution to urban sprawl and contribution to the destruction of the middle class has always irked me.

23. - Just Me - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

Any company or their CEO that has generously donated to anti-gay issues has not knowingly received any of my business (Chick-fil-A). A dollar here or there won’t catch my eye, but when they pony up tons of cash then I take my money elsewhere.

24. - Michelle Flaherty - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

Jimmy Johns. No appetite for businesses that become successful in Illinois and then do nothing but complain about Illinois.

25. - illinifan - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:49 pm:

WalMart, Sams Club (some in our area actually give employees All Kids and SNAP applications, claiming HR wants to help employees….my view give the pay and benefits so HR does not have to give out applications for public benefits) and Chick Fil A, Papa Johns …..Same for Walgreens if they leave. Never went into a Hobby Lobby and will not based on the store’s philosophy.

26. - Chi - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:50 pm:

Haven’t patronized the Cubs since the Ricketts patriarch funded the Obama-born-in-Kenya PAC. I’m a Sox fan now.

Why bother giving your money to indirectly fuel actions and ideas you don’t agree with? When there’s a viable alternative, you should always move your money.

27. - Nieva - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:50 pm:

So Grandson of Man you boycott but you won’t name them? I have no problem naming them and letting others know how I feel about their policies.

28. - Gurnge - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

I almost voted no, because boycotting somebody for a political view strikes me as a little too totalitarian to me (i.e. politics doesn’t have to infuse EVERY aspect of our lives–too the contrary, its sad if it does. I’m also a big believer in diversity of thought).

But I almost forgot my one person boycott of Citgo (my wife doesn’t even know it). Supporting trending fascist regimes just seems a bridge too far. I know, I know–the Saudis are probably worse. But Citgo is a directly connected to the country, so its easier to target them.

29. - Wensicia - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:52 pm:

Wal-Mart and Chick Fil A. I will not enter a Hooters. If I had a son, he could not participate in the Boy Scouts. I will never purchase a pet or shop in a store that sells animals from puppy mills. If Eric Zorn and Mary Schmich ever leave the Chicago Tribune, I’ll boycott them, too!

30. - 47th Ward - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:54 pm:

I happily boycotted Domino’s pizza, but that was mostly because it tasted like cardboard and less because of the Monahan family’s pro-life zeal.

Also, some of you may remember when Operation PUSH launched a national boycott of Budweiser. After Budweiser caved and allowed two sons of Rev. Jackson to take control of the beer distributor serving my neighborhood in Chicago, I stopped drinking it. Been swilling Heineken ever since, although now that there’s been so much consolidation in the industry, I’m not sure which company distribues what product now. And yes, the Jacksons recently sold their interests, but still, I can’t go back to Bud.

31. - Ken_in_Aurora - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:55 pm:

I will not patronize numerous businesses due to their position on several different issues. Those issues are varied enough that I would frost off both sides of the spectrum if I listed them. ;)

32. - Goooner - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

I voted no, but mainly because, other than Oberweis, the places I would boycott are not on my list to go for other reasons.

I don’t like Oberweis, but his politics don’t seem to impact the product so I’m OK with it.

Not to digress, but Sam Sanchez wrote an op-ed that was published over the weekend about the minimum wage. Certain people were outraged because he came out against raising the minimum wage. It will be interesting to see if that op-ed has any impact on his bottom line.

33. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 1:57 pm:

Lots. Mobil Oil, back when they were running obnoxious editorial ads in the WSJ (and now Exxon-Mobil over their discrimination policies). Cracker Barrel over their discrimination history. Sabra hummus over their Mideast policies.

34. - Rahm's Parking Meter - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

I won’t eat at Chick Fil A or Hobby Lobby, but locally in my neighborhood, I REFUSE to give any financial support to the Wrigley Rooftops. Call me crazy, but their attitude in the Wrigley dispute, plus their lack of honest negotiations, have made me refuse to even buy a diet pop in Murphy’s bleachers or anywhere else. They put their own interest in front of the greater Lakeview and North Side needs and I do not respect that.

35. - OneMan - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

Have to say though, would only take a pass on a place due to an explicit policy or action of the organization, not due to viewpoints or opinions of operators/owners.

36. - x ace - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

Yes - Absolutely,

Wal Mart after ht heirs got control and ruined a good company.

In Bev/ An Busch - for using Rice in brewing and for becoming a foreign company.

Churchill Downs - for increasing takeout %

And ……

37. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

Yes - Walmart (work force / labor practices)
    Yes - Snapple (Rush Limbaugh)
    Yes - Nestle (breastfeeding / formula practices)
    I tried to boycott BP, but they are a good product.

These others are easy to avoid because I am not dependent on Walmart, there are other options to choose from. And when I did choose formula for my child, I used Earth’s Best. And I hate the taste of Snapple so that’s also easy. But I will consciously choose Lipton tea in a bottle over Snapple when at a gas station.

38. - Six Degrees of Separation - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:01 pm:

When I was a grad student, a group of us would regularly go out to lunch. One of my research partners, when the slightest of things offended his sensibilities or didn’t meet his service standards, would boycott the place for the semester and we’d have to cross that place off our list of lunch places. By the time the semester ended, we were down to one or two places in C-U within walking distance that were “acceptable”. To the question, I generally wouldn’t “boycott” a business unless their service is so shoddy, with little or no attempt to make it right, and based on an actual experience.

39. - Chicago Cynic - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:05 pm:

Absolutely. When corporations conduct rises to a level that I have a serious objection to, I patronize another company where possible. I don’t go nuts, but probably done this about 1/2 dozen times for political/moral reasons.

40. - bottom rung. - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

Chase and Bank of America.

41. - Chicago Cynic - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

BTW, I don’t view it as a boycott but as Capitalism. It’s my money and I can always choose to give my hard earned $$$ to someone else.

42. - a drop in - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:08 pm:

Oberweis for several years until it was shown that he was just a loser, Try to avoid Barilla, didn’t see a Cubs game in 2012 due to the papa (where the real money came from), After the election, figured if he wants to waste his money…(see Oberweis).

43. - ChrisB - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:16 pm:

I mostly think boycotts are dumb, because the amount of money I and my compatriots spend at any given corporation is negligible to their income statement. Also, it becomes a PITA to keep track of who I should be outraged with this week. It’s a lazy way to protest, but an easy way to feel smug.

However, I do not buy gas from Citgo stations for reasons already mentioned. I’m not going to prop up a totalitarian regime that was and is openly hostile to the US. Chavez might be dead, but his policies are still killing people.

44. - SAP - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

I’ve tried to stay away from BP after that mess they made in the Gulf of Mexico.

45. - throwing stones - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

jimmy johns, really no point in repeating what has been said.

and wal mart- if you dont know why, then your not going to understand anyway so no point trying to explain why.

46. - PolPal56 - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:17 pm:

My first major boycott is also my longest running - Walmart, since the mid-eighties (nearly 30 years!). I began due to their main street destruction and continued due to their labor practices.

47. - Abe - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:18 pm:

I boycott Hewlitt Packard and General Electric for their involvement and complicity in Israeli human rights abuses. The United Methodist Church’s Divestment Task Force has details about why they and should be boycotted (

48. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:20 pm:

Whole Foods treats its employees like crap, so I don’t shop there. Chick Filet for the spelling as well as its owners views.

I’m afraid of catching the crazies from Oberweis products.

49. - RealChicagoHousewife - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

I’ve boycotted Dick’s sporting goods because they sell Duck Commander items & Duck Dynasy apparel.

50. - Katiedid - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

Dunkin Donuts after they pulled the franchise agreement from a Muslim franchisee in Westchester in 2002 for not selling pork products, although he had been open about his religious opposition to selling foods and they had agreed to such for nearly 20 years. They also still allow Jewish facilities not to sell the products (which I agree with).

And, I wholeheartedly agree with Chicago Cynic’s comment: this is capitalism. My money, my choice of where to spend it. I don’t think it’s really a “boycott,” which I see as a coordinated effort to convince others not to spend money there in an effort to put economic pressure on a company to do (or stop doing) something in particular.

51. - CirularFiringSquad - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:22 pm:

Voted yup
    1. Nike —their long time defense of Lance Armstrong was too much
    2. Hobby Lobby — no one commanded them to use birth control so their religious was totally intact
    3. Chase — biggest thieves in banking too bad others including pension funds did not quit them too.
    Kinda like Jimmy John’s products plus the boss is somewhat impaired so ya really can’t count on him.

52. - throwing stones - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

and Fox News for making America just a little bit dumber. no snark intended!

53. - WAK - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

I avoid pretty much all fast-food corporations with the one exception of Chipotle. Why because of many reasons but mainly their contributions to creating, institutionalizing and maintaining an unsustainable food and farm system that exploits workers and the environment in the process while producing unhealthy high calorie low nutrient food that is one of if not the main driver of the obesity and heart disease epidemic in this country.

54. - Last Bull Moose - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:31 pm:

Will not enter KIA showroom. To me KIA means killed in action. Find the name offensive.

55. - walker - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

Walmart is the only one I have stuck with. I have avoided Chick Filet and Oberwiess more because of their quality/price ratios than my discomfort with their owners. That does have a small impact.

Public image is part of your offering in the marketplace, and obviously impacts sales in our free system.

56. - Will Caskey - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

I also stopped buying Barilla pasta after their CEO remarks on gay people.

That has led to problems getting some types of pasta, like jumbo shells.

Post-Hobby Lobby I eyeball any organic stuff I buy to make sure it’s not Eden.

I don’t think this accompishes anything though. It’s just personally satisfying.

57. - kimocat - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

Like a number of others, I do not buy from Papa John’s pizza, Chick-fi-la and now Hobby Lobby. The first two I never patronized anyway, but I used to buy stuff pretty regularly at HL. But since I learned on this forum that both NAPA and Target don’t allow guns, I will patronize them more. I do prefer not to have shootouts when I’m buying auto parts or underwear.

58. - Shark Sandwich - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

Voted No due to my boycotts being based on personal/service based reasons. I object to Walgreen’s policy of ‘20 minutes for your script so you can wander around the store and buy overpriced stuff’. I’m sick-Don’t waste my time, my small town pharmacy does fine business without doing that.
    They also don’t do that weird thing where they put a store on the opposite corner of a competitor just to attrit them. Don’t tell me the ‘consumer’ is better served by having the choice of a Walgreens vs CVS on the same corner.

59. - How Ironic - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

Chik-Fil-A - Owners views
    Oberweis - Owner views
    Jimmy Johns - Owners actions and views

60. - Belle - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:49 pm:

I always thought I was the only person to harbor these negative ideas so this is self-affirming.
    Oberweis-Such delicious ice cream but…he’s so crazy
    McDonald’s-It’s an over money-owed me over 30 yrs ago. Plus, do you really want to eat?
    Walmart-I’ve only bought a book there and have no intentions of ever returning.
    Cracker Barrel-the gay thing
    Papa John’s-It’s wretched so they make it easy

61. - Nieva - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:52 pm:

So kimocat you figure gangbangers pay any notice to the sign on the door??

62. - Grandson of Man - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:54 pm:

“So Grandson of Man you boycott but you won’t name them?”

1) Koch Industries
    2) Wal-Mart
    3) Chick fil A
    4) Cracker Barrel
    5) Whole Foods
    6) Papa John’s Pizza
    7) etc.

63. - West Side the Best Side - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

Really dating myself, but gave up grapes during Cesar Chavez days.Stopped my subscription to the Trib and really never watched Fox News (love The Simpsons though). Agree about KIA, I just find the name too creepy. As for Bud, that should be boycotted by real beer drinkers regardless of or even in spite of any political considerations.

64. - 4 percent - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 2:57 pm:

This is a VERY general statement but I find it interesting that most of the people who are choosing to boycott companies are liberal Democrats. I know that there are some conservatives (see the gun policy note above) who choose not to shop in certain stores but it seems to me that those who preach the most about “tolerance” are the ones least likely to practice that tolerance.

That being said, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who chooses to vote with their wallets.

65. - frustrated GOP - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:00 pm:

Shell during apartheid, Which was very difficult for me, my grandfather owned a shell station for 30 years. The sale and inheritance put me through college. But they needed to change their stance in South Africa and we know it made a difference. I buy shell again.
    Macy’s, because the killed Marshall Fields.

66. - Goooner - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:02 pm:

4 percent, where do you get this idea that liberals believe they must tolerate everything?

Liberals never claim to tolerate everything. As a matter of routine, they refuse to tolerate racism, sexism, terrible schools, a drug war that improperly targets the most vulnerable, and the list goes on.

This “liberals claim to be tolerant so that must accept the far right acting like right wing extremists” is a creation of the far right that has zero basis in reality.

67. - Amy - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:07 pm:

Walmart - for so many years that I don’t remember the original reason, but it’s been reinforced over and over. I’ll acknowledge that it’s easy to boycott Walmart when I have multiple other big box stores that are closer.

I persuaded my kids (who are young enough to be impressionable) not to shop Abercrombie & Fitch due to their advertising and hiring practices.

On the flip side, I’ll choose CVS over Walgreens due to the CVS pledge to end cigarette sales.

68. - Lobo Y Olla - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:08 pm:

After Chavez down in Venezuela started lipping off about the US and the president(Bush the Lesser) I stopped hitting Citgo for fuel and the Mrs’ pack of smokes. I wince when I see their new adds which promote the “locally owned and operated” catchphrase. I feel bad for the owners, but I’ll never hit a Citgo again.

69. - Amalia - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:09 pm:

boycott, hell yes. Oberweis, products made by Koch industries (Dixie cups, Brawny paper towels, sadly Lycra in clothing), and latest, Hobby Lobby. why give them money if they work against my interests?

70. - Mongo - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

Yes, Nestle’s in the 80’s over tainted milk in the Africa’s

71. - Jack - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:12 pm:

I boycott members of the Chicago Civic Committee as much as possible for their role in demonizing state employees. If you go to their website you can find a list of companies that are members. And yes there are plenty of Illinois businesses who aren’t members that I can patronize.

72. - Mongo - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

ooops…and Jimmy John’s over his I am leaving (wait I am really not).

And of course Oberweiss…have not and won’t eat there.

73. - The Prince - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:13 pm:

Boycotted Macy’s for a day. Too convenient for me to continue the boycott.

74. - Aldyth - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:15 pm:

I am currently boycotting Walgreens, Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A. I boycotted Target over open carry.

I avoid buying products produced by Koch brothers’ companies, but cannot bring myself to give up Johnsonville brats or Italian sausage. I live in a rural area and there just aren’t alternatives. I am shamed by my lack of personal willpower when it comes to sausage.

I will be watching for companies that request ACA exemptions due to religious objections. I will boycott as loudly as I can.

75. - Arthur Andersen - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:16 pm:

Who knew that CFS and AA would avoid the same companies? Good man, there.

76. - Rich Miller - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:18 pm:

===I am shamed by my lack of personal willpower when it comes to sausage.===

77. - Jack - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:19 pm:

By the way, every Chic Fil A I have dined at has been overflowing with customers.

78. - Jay Dee - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:20 pm:

No. I need a product or a service. Someone provides that product or service. If it is beneficial to both parties, then the transaction happens. What that person does with what was formerly my money is none of my business as is what I do with the product is none of the merchant’s business.

79. - Why Guy - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:20 pm:

Anything owned by Rupert Murdoc

80. - Under Further Review - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:23 pm:

I have been proactive and reactive; I patronized stores for the corporate positions that they have taken and silently boycotted others for taking positions opposed to my values.

Starbucks nearly lost me when they went through a period of using their coffee cups as a means of propagandizing customers. Subsequently, the company toned it down a bit.

81. - Earnest - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:23 pm:

This may date me a bit, but I boycotted Coke in the 80s because they hadn’t divested in apartheid South Africa.

82. - Cheryl44 - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

You really shouldn’t be calling people Democrats when you don’t know them 4%. I happen to be a Socialist.

83. - Bill White - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

I’ve never boycotted Oberweis Dairy but there was this time I went in to one of the ice cream shops and ordered a “Bananas Foster” milkshake shortly after his loss to Bill Foster.

84. - The Prince - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

Review: Lots of companies propagandize consumers. I was at McDonalds today and the bag was like a Common Core syllabus.

85. - 47th Ward - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:43 pm:

I refused to play Sun City until apartheid ended.

86. - ??? - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:47 pm:

=Cheryl44 - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

You really shouldn’t be calling people Democrats when you don’t know them 4%.=

Thank you, Cheryl, I was thinking the same thing. I’m a pro-choice Repub myself.

87. - Todd - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

Target hasn’t banned guns. All they did was make a request. No signs posted, no gun ban. I shop and carry there all the time

88. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:03 pm:

I have only set foot in Wal-Mart once in the past 26 years. I was on a camping trip and it was the only grocery store within 750 square miles.

My mom was a UFCW member, local 881.

May the sun always shine on Tim Drea.

89. - Say It Ain't So! - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:03 pm:

Jimmy Johns

90. - Ron Burgundy - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:05 pm:

The only ones I really shy away from are Oberweis (don’t want to encourage him) and Citgo (owned by the Venezuelan government).

91. - Roadiepig - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:11 pm:

Haven’t gone to Chick-fil-a since the far right went so all in to support their company’s anti-gay policies. None locally so no biggie.

Jimmy Johns- only buy their day old bread for .50 cents when I don’t have time to bake my own . Figure he’s still loosing money at that price. Wish he would just move already instead of slamming my home state every few months.

Papa Johns for his actions after the implementation of Obamacare . If you can afford a moat around your castle, you shouldn’t cut employees to 38 hours week to avoid offering health insurance to your staff.

Living downstate, only seen Oberweis products in stores north of here. Don’t need my milk in glass bottles at twice the price anyway.

I agree with several others though- if you stop buying from places where their owners say or do something that offends you, the odds are you will run out of places to shop. Jimmy John’s and Papa Johns products overall are nothing special ,so I can easily choose to spend my cash somewhere else and not support blowhards when possible.

92. - Captain Spangler - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:15 pm:

I boycott:
    HBO, Costco, Most of Hollywood, late night TV, Starbucks.
    I double down on:
    Chick fil a, walmart, sam’s club, oberweis, hobby lobby

93. - Concerned - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:17 pm:

I switched my hardware store purchases to Lowe’s from Home Depot years ago after learning of the political activities of Home Depot’s leadership. I make lots of choices of where to spend my money. I don’t necessarily regard those choices as boycotts of one business–I regard it as a choice to spend my money at another business.

94. - Commander Norton - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:23 pm:

Wal-Mart and now Hobby Lobby. I boycotted Jimmy John’s for a while because of the owner’s anti-Illinois, soapbox-y antics, but then I heard about their policy of hiring and promoting nonviolent ex-offenders. My friend’s brother got a new lease on life and went from down-and-out, probably headed back to prison to productive model citizen because of Jimmy John’s, where he’s now a store manager.

95. - Gantt Chart - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:27 pm:

Wow! This attracted lots of attention. I knew some of your commenters were left-of-center liberals…but I never knew they made up such a high percentage.

96. - Name Withheld - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:31 pm:

I refuse to purchase products from Apple due to the pressure their supply chain processes place on workers in China. I cannot justify the cost of the product when workers are treated in that manner.

That said - their software is excellent (and written in the US), and if Apple allowed me to install it on my own non-Apple computer, I would do so.

97. - fisher - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:38 pm:

No - why punish a company’s staff who are trying to make a living just because I might consider someone high up a chowderhead. I’m not going to track when said chowderhead leaves and switch which company I’m boycotting. I’m not going to scorecard where someone shops when they’re cooking me a meal or where they’ve purchased a gift from either. I don’t feel the need to damn someone else for believing differently than me. I can see drawing the line at patronizing the Herman Goering Brewery and Bath House, but let’s make it a real Herman Goering and not an “I prefer to think of him as Herman Goering.”

98. - corvax - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:42 pm:

No Jimmy John’s, Chick Fil-A, Barilla or Cracker Barrel, for reaosns cited baove.

Also, when shopping for a car, didn’t consider Volvo–too large a purchase for a Chinese-owned enterprise. (Not race based–spend plenty of $$ on local lo mein, etc.)

99. - Frustrated Voter - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:53 pm:

I have boycotted GM & Chrysler ever since they received federal bailout money; Hardees because of their sexist commercials.

I’ve probably eaten at Chick Fil-A twice as much since the “controversy”. Their chicken is heavenly.

100. - Sunshine - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 4:57 pm:

Don’t boycott much of anything or anyone based on their policies or politics. Will avoid sorry food, lousy service, or shoddy products. Do not usually make buying decisions on where the product is made, where the company is headquartered, or on the basis of politics. I won’t be buying any burkas or prayer mats soon.

101. - Fake Herzog - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:02 pm:

In general, I don’t bother with boycotts, mainly because I don’t think they work and it is too much trouble to keep track of every corporate policy I don’t like.

On the other hand, I have stopped going to Kuma’s Corner since they made the burger with the communion wafer — they have one of the best burgers in Chicago and I’m a burger lover, so I miss going there. I will probably eventually break down and wind up going again someday soon because I just can’t resist heavy metal and juicy burgers; but I’ll hold out as long as possible.

P.S. I must say I’d be tempted to check out the “Herman Goering Brewery and Bath House”: come in for the beer and stay for nude, sweaty bodies!

102. - Enviros-Anon - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:29 pm:

Today is another “Meatfree Monday” at our house.

On Mondays we boycott all meat, fish, and poultry for better health and a better environment.

103. - Judgment Day - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:46 pm:

Hated having to swipe their little savers card to purchase sale items.

When they dropped their ‘card’ program, I went back to shopping there.

Good triumphed over evil. Victorious in the end!

104. - railrat - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:49 pm:

Toys R Us and Walmart in my opinion they have destroyed small mom & pop shops in rural locals ie. Plano , Sandwich and even Joliet, when a monster like Walmart can dictate global labor practice and business policy that beyond Ayn Rand

105. - Formerly Known As... - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 5:59 pm:

WalMart, for many years.

106. - modest proposal - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 6:05 pm:

I voted no, I may do it unconsciously, but I am not going to inconvenience myself to prove a point that they don’t know I’m making.

107. - Howard - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 6:13 pm:

I dropped Direct TV and use the internet and an antenna - prices are out of control for the few channels I watch. I also do not support the Flubs as they are losers and I am not.

108. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 6:44 pm:

Iake sure to go to the places that extremist on either side boycott.

109. - Anonymous - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 6:54 pm:

I will not shop at Wal-Mart.

I do not buy Oberweis.

I go out of my way to shop a hobby lobby. This country has gone crazy in the last 30 years. Obama promised that he would not force people in this position when he got the votes of some moderate Democrats. He did not keep his word. Birth control is readily available just pay for it yourself.

110. - Chicago J - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 7:20 pm:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Amazon. They treat their warehouse employees badly and their hardball tactics with publishers closely resemble Walmart’s squeezing of it’s suppliers. Books are not interchangable units.

111. - Just The Way It Is One - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 7:57 pm:

Yes, it was MANY years ago, but I DID, admittedly, do it for the Corporations’ stances on particular Political Issues…!

112. - wordslinger - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 8:45 pm:

No WalMart for me, for reasons stated. Not that much of a sacrifice as it’s, by far, the worst shopping experience anywhere.

Shut my Chase accounts when they decided to make economic war on humanity and went credit union.

I don’t eat much chain fast food, but the kids will grab me the occasional JJ. He shot his mouth off, but he’s still here, so I don’t have a beef (I get the Italian).

I have an Oberweis in my neighborhood and enjoy going with the family.

I’ve made the argument to friends who object that if you don’t like Obie’s politics, keep him in politics, lol.

113. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 9:31 pm:

Get Oberweis whenever I can.

That’s says more about how I approach boycotts and living a political life I guess(?)

114. - Bemused - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 10:49 pm:

Being a Construction Union member most of my issues are labor related. If something is built non-union it puts no money in my pocket so why should I spend money with them. Some situations do get fuzzy though. I am not a fan of Walmart but they did in fact build all union in my area. The wife and I eat out often but I will never set foot in a Texas Roadhouse.

115. - Cheswick - Monday, Jul 14, 14 @ 11:25 pm:

Schlafly Beer because of their aunt.

116. - Coffee Cup - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 7:20 am:

Nope–I buy products based on their value to me. I don’t make purchases based on ideology. To me, that is a separate issue.

117. - Anonymous - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 9:33 am:

After the Exxon Valdez disaster, I swore that I would never patronize an Exxon gas station, and I’ve kept that vow. In fact, I once ran out of gas due to my stance. I have softened just a hair and will buy from Mobil if there is absolutely no option, but I can count on my hands the number of times that I have purchased anything from Mobil. What happened in Prince William Sound was so awful and so avoidable, and Exxon acted so irresponsibly in the aftermath.

118. - McDouble - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 10:04 am:

Boycotted BP over the oil spills. Was pretty easy to do since nearly every other station was always cheaper than them at the time haha

119. - southwest - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 10:06 am:

I went to my first Hobby Lobby two weeks ago and spent over $100, I had to Google a chic fil a location, buy only barilla pasta. I won’t use Mozilla, sargento cheese, citgo, Costco, Kmart, Pepsi! But I refuse to stop reading CapitolFax because I love to read what the “other” side is saying!

120. - anon - Tuesday, Jul 15, 14 @ 10:48 am:

Besides some of the others mentioned already, I avoid Potbelly because it discriminates against single people (publicly stated it only wanted married couples for franchisees) and I try to avoid local businesses which appear to have used clout to obtain TIF funds in non-blighted neighborhoods. Most prominent would be Mariano’s grocery and the Hopleaf bar. If that DePaul stadium is built, I won’t go there.

* Reader comments closed for the holiday weekend
* Zopp makes small cable TV buy during debate
* Exelon Just Received A $1.7 Billion Rate Increase Through The Market-Based Capacity Auction
* Raoul: "Inflexible demands plus willful amnesia is no recipe for any negotiation"
* Violence spike blamed on budget cuts
* *** UPDATED - Home and doing better *** I'll be back later
* Gray hired by Trump
* MLB playoff open thread
* Once more, with feeling
* B3 fallout?
* Unclear on the concept

* Galaxy Android 6.0 updates, iPhone 6s expansion & more – Pocketnow Daily
* Sony rolls back CEO’s comments on selling mobile division
* Acer setting up for October 12 Windows 10 devices day
* 3D Touch Control Center concept reminds Apple of what it can do
* Google is getting more search volume from smartphones than PCs
* BATBAND: Sleek, ear-free headphones won’t hurt your ears, now on Kickstarter
* Moto X Force passes through Chinese regulators

* First White Sox bench coach candidate emerges
* Hahn feels White Sox fanbase's frustration
* Sox to rely on improvement of core in 2016
* One benefit of the White Sox' lefty-heavy rotation
* Foot issue to sideline White Sox prospect Hawkins
* After second base, it was no-go White Sox
* Scouting, player development key for White Sox

* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago sho.....
* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago sho.....
* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago sho.....
* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago sho.....

* Chicago reaches 100 miles of protected bike lanes
* National Science Foundation chief to speak at Urbana campus
* Former Dwight prison to become fire-training facility
* Bridge construction to halt Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak trains
* Jesse Jackson calls for conference on gun violence
* Man charged in shooting death of Chicago police employee
* Ex-cemetery worker receives probation for body desecration
* Rauner names contributor to preservation agency
* Ex-governor says ex-convicts shouldn't be labeled felon
* Rockford University looking to finish raising $17.3 million

* More than 400 press passes issued for this year's Illinois State Fair
* Rauner names new chair of Illinois Historic Preservation Agency board
* Rail work to shut down Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak trains for two weeks
* Rail work to shut down Amtrak trains for two weeks
* Ex-governor Ryan says ex-convicts shouldn't be labeled felons
* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago shootings climb
* The Papers of Abraham Lincoln project still in jeopardy; memo paints discouraging picture
* Democrats say Rauner 'needs to get serious' on budget

* Mayor tells U.S. attorney general that Chicago cops are in “fetal” position
* Blackhawks’ success further motivates Nick Leddy

* 3 seriously injured after Far South Side crash
* 3 killed, 6 wounded since Friday morning
* Cubs faithful gather in Wrigleyville to cheer on team in NLDS Game 1
* Emanuel supports principal training amid CPS scandal fallout
* Elmhurst police ask for help identifying woman killed by Metra train
* Bomb threat at GSU cancels classes
* Man, 62, found dead outside on Far South Side
* Teen is charged in killing of longtime Chicago police civilian employee
* Ryan says 'felon' hurts convicts' chances of finding work
* Police charge father after incident that left infant son seriously injured

* More than 400 press passes issued for this year's Illinois State Fair
* Charles Krauthammer: Another massacre, another charade
* Rauner names new chair of Illinois Historic Preservation Agency board
* Rail work to shut down Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak trains for two weeks
* Ex-governor Ryan says ex-convicts shouldn't be labeled felons
* Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago shootings climb
* Mike Lang: 'Racial Taboo' screening will advance local unity efforts
* Democrats say Rauner 'needs to get serious' on budget

* PODCAST: Mettler Center 10-10-15
* Sadorus considers selling company its water system
* 'She has always found a way to help people'
* An inspiration
* VA building flea infestation blamed on raccoons in ceiling
* Weekend Planner: That time of year
* Area history, Oct. 10, 2015
* This day in history, Oct. 10, 2015
* Talking points: Iowa analyst's take on Saturday's game
* Police face dangers to keep community safe

* Lake County forest district to issue last of $185M OK'd by voters for land
* Top New Hampshire Republicans tell Christie to keep going
* Afghan president orders investigation into fall of Kunduz
* Officials: CIA-backed Syrian rebels under Russian blitz
* Black men gathering for Million Man March 20th anniversary

* House lawmakers overcome hurdle on key tra...
* Rodney Davis talks funding with Bloomingto...
* The agency that fought Illiana gets a new ...
* Rep. Dold takes educational cruise down Ch...
* Lawmakers decry high turnover rate of VA h...
* CBD Oil, and politics
* Simon considering state Senate bid
* Killer Congressman Tom MacArthur trying to...
* Shutdown? State may not notice
* Rep. Bob Dold

* Boulder Rep. Jared Polis introduces afford......
* Senator Durbin Calls on VA and Department ......

* Kirk supported money to Illinois waterways......

* Elected (and un-elected) officials deciding when, where and who can speak and ask questions.
* Breaking: McHenry teachers and board reach a tentative agreement.
* Ramp From Lower Wacker To LSD Closure Starts Monday
* “The Driver’s Side” – News From The Motorist’s Perspective
* No political bets -- this means St. Louis won’t get Cubbie-blue cheesecake
* McHenry board cancels health insurance of striking teachers.
* Keeping retirement weird. A little place in Michigan.
* Speaker Softly and Carry a Big Stick
* Parents, Advocates Speak Out Against CPS Special Need Education Cuts
* Special education

* Board’s New Rules Will Reduce Risk of Tire Fires and Disease-Carrying Mosquitos
* Illinois Hosts Inaugural Interstate Medical Licensure Compact - Aims to increase health care access through multi-state physician licensure program
* IEMA Announces Elgin Community College Attains ‘Ready to Respond Campus’ Designation - Elgin one of five Illinois campuses to receive distinction
* New Mortgage Loan Interface Increases Efficiency, Compliance
* State Fire Marshal Ushers In Fire Prevention Week - “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep!”