*** UPDATED x1 *** Video shows Rauner joking about wanting to punch somebody

Monday, Aug 18, 2014

* The Sun-Times has some video of Bruce Rauner during which Rauner says he wanted to punch somebody for allegedly trying to keep him out of Chicago’s annual Greek Independence Day parade

“I was the only Republican in this parade. There were hundreds and hundreds of people in line. You know what Pat Quinn said: ‘Holy cow, Rauner’s coming after my base. You know, I’m out working ‘em, I’m working ‘em. He’s running around chasing me … he’s never been to a Greek parade in his life. He came to that parade because he said, “Uh-oh, Rauner’s taking my votes.’”

“You know what, they tried to, his people tried to kick me out of the parade. You know what, it’s the closest I’ve come to punching someone in this race. I said, I said I ain’t leaving this parade, this is not a Democratic parade, this is a Greek-American parade, and I’m working for every family in this state. You know what, I pushed those guys aside, we went to the front of that parade, high-fives and selfies all up and down. You know what, they were clapping and cheering. They loved every part of the message.”

The punching line got a big laugh.

* Quinn response

Quinn’s people say the governor has indeed marched in the Greek Independence Day Parade in the past. They say the governor did not order or attempt to kick Rauner out of any parade.

“The Governor has attended numerous Greek events in recent years and throughout his career, including the Greek Independence Day Parade in 2010 and most recently on March 30 along with his Greek-American running mate Paul Vallas,” says campaign spokeswoman Brooke Anderson. “Mr. Rauner has a history of making things up in his stump speeches and his negative attack ads, so we’re not surprised he is continuing that trend.”

* The video

I tried calling the group which runs the parade, but its phone number is disconnected.

*** UPDATE *** Blogger and frequent commenter Louis G Atsaves in comments

For those who think Rauner was making this up, I beg to differ. I was there as a marcher. My group was marching just behind the “dignitaries” line, where Rauner and Quinn were nearly next to each other.

One of the parade marshals ordered the Rauner marchers that were between the dignitaries and my group off the street and moved them out to the curb.

My group was right behind them and I was carrying a State Flag. I waived the Rauner group back in, told the marshall something unprintable and they then marched the rest of the parade directly in front of my group.

No other “political” group was treated like that in that particular parade.

When everyone reached the parade stand, the Rauner group was announced twice, once where they should have been, and a second time when the MC (Anna Davlantis) noticed them in their new spot, which I guess was a little poetic justice.

That goes some distance toward confirming part of Rauner’s story.

But this is also from Louis

1. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:06 pm:

Usually a Tom Hagen would get a Luca Brazi for bloody knuckle work.

That will work real well, telling a legislator or 8 you want to punch them when they say “no” to an “offer they can’t refuse.”

He’s a bully with a checkbook and no conscious.

2. - nobody - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:12 pm:

God help us with our only choices for Governor being Quinn or Rauner. They sound more and more like two little kids fighting in the sandbox. When, if ever, will a real discussion of the important issues facing this state begin. Arguing over who gets to march in what parade?? Seriously?

3. - Anonymous - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:12 pm:

it`s cow tipping not cow punching

4. - Try-4-Truth - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:20 pm:

Ok, let me try to teach Quinn’s campaign a little lesson here. Here is how to make political hay out of this. “Mr. Rauner, who did you “come close to punching”, specifically? What was their name, position, or purpose for speaking to you that day? And, again, be specific. Then we go speak to that person and find out what Rauner’s people were doing. See, the story becomes personal.

5. - OneMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

There is a big difference between “Closest I have come to doing x” vs “I almost did X”

I can say “The closest I came to do dating a supermodel was X” doesn’t mean I was that close to actually doing so…

Then again this is another one that is going to have some fun comments.

6. - Frenchie Mendoza - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:21 pm:

The man is so full of himself he’s writing his own thug mythology.

It’s only the wealthy (and crazy) that get to pretend that against all adversity they push their way to the top and then get cheers and “selfies” when they summit.

7. - Anonymoiis - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

==it`s cow tipping not cow punching==

Better than a donkey, i suppose

8. - VanillaMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:23 pm:

I always enjoy a pugnacious campaign story, fake or not. It is entertaining. Just don’t do it too often! I especially like how he became the hero in his own story! Love this crap!

9. - Nearly Normal - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

Notice the age of his audience. Is this the old man trying to look tough to his young volunteers/interns?

10. - OneMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:24 pm:

We are all the hero of our own story — OneMan

11. - Anonymous - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:26 pm:

- The closest I came to do dating a supermodel -

You’re right, that’s exactly the same as joking about assault.

12. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:27 pm:

“I’m the hero of my own Dopey story, that the story doesn’t need, but I want to make myself seem virile” - one of the Bruce Rauners

13. - wordslinger - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:28 pm:

Who knew Greeks were part of the Quinn “base?”

Anybody ever met a Chicago Greek that would kick a billionaire out of anything?

Yeah, the Man just can’t keep Rauner down.

What’s next? A brick through one of his storefronts? Someone slashes the tires to Buck’s million-dollar shaggin-wagon?

If you’re gong to trot out one of the old gags, you might as well use them all.

14. - Wumpus - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:29 pm:

Seriously? This is an issue raised by Quinn?

They should make a movie poster, 300, The race for Governor.

15. - LincolnLounger - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:30 pm:

The problem with lying about clouting your daughter into Payton Prep and about lowering the minimum wage and other issues is that the likelihood of this story being untrue or embellished is significant.

People who lie even when they don’t have to scare me.

16. - VanillaMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:36 pm:

He’s a bully with a checkbook and no conscious.

Bully with a checkbook?
    What is this 1914 or 2014?

Can you imagine Rauner walking around with a checkbook? Do you think his checks have like Bible verses on them with beach sunsets? Maybe Bruce Rauner carries a Hello Kitty! checkbook on him.

Yeah - Rauner writes checks multi-million dollar checks with Betty Boop on them!

17. - Western Ave. Doug - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:37 pm:

Is this really news worthy for the Sun Times? Almost as good as Natasha Korecki’s story about Schock’s Prada shoes.

18. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

The first billionaire underdog in political history.

19. - VanillaMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:38 pm:

Bruce needed to end that story with a lit saganaki and “OOOPAH!”

20. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

“And then, and then… I looked Madigan in the eye and I told him, I did, I told him ‘You’re gonna do what I said’, and you know what, he blinked, and then I knew I had him, so theni told him ‘you never dealt with ANYONE like me’ and you want to know what he said, he said I would be fine…”

Rauner has to be a laugh riot having a beer with. Yikes.

21. - Yipperdo - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:39 pm:

Doubt this is much of a game changer.

22. - Ron Burgundy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:40 pm:

VanillaMan, I do think a gigantic pile of cheese set on fire does describe this race perfectly.

23. - PoolGuy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:41 pm:

Horatio Alger for the billionaire

24. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:41 pm:

===Bully with a checkbook?
    What is this 1914 or 2014?===

He likes to have the receipt for tax purposes…

He likes to know who is bought and paid for …

He likes to sign his name with the “a” in Rauner as a heart…

He likes to know where YOU bank…

25. - VanillaMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:42 pm:

Let the saganaki be shaped resembling the state of Illinois! OOOOPAH!

26. - Rich Miller - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:43 pm:

===Rauner has to be a laugh riot having a beer with===

He actually kinda is.

27. - Anonymous - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:44 pm:

anger managment unleased or tall tales i can see clearly now, how he became his own hero. sound more like pro wresting than pro politics

28. - Anon. - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:45 pm:

==“Mr. Rauner has a history of making things up in his stump speeches and his negative attack ads, so we’re not surprised he is continuing that trend.”==

Reporter: “Can you give us your favorite example of when they did this?”

Anderson: “Uh, no, I just made that up.”

And so on from all sides until November, then in January we start the next cycle.

29. - phocion - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:45 pm:

Is Rauner feeling punchy?

30. - Robo - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:46 pm:

He’s rich and he wanted to punch somebody. He’s gone too far. Probably wanted his gyros comped too.

31. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:48 pm:

Fade in

BRUCE RAUNER, “billionaire” candidate for Ilinois governor in a dark alley with street entrance seen behind him. Street seems to be busy with “parade-type” activities. The alley is dark, water flowing out of gutters to pavement.

(”QUINN VOLUNTEER” walks toward RAUNER)

Rauner: I got it, all here, 2 thousand, just like you asked

(Rauner tries to hand envelope to QV, but QV resists)

“Quinn”Volunteer: It better be. Remember, you see me, I yell at you, you pull the punch, I fall.

End Scene.

That would be fun.

32. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:51 pm:

=== ===Rauner has to be a laugh riot having a beer with===

He actually kinda is.===

Then I can’t wait for the invite. We can swap stories. I won’t hold my breath for the invite thou…

No snark, my loss.

33. - ChrisB - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:51 pm:

Actually, recording something in portrait mode makes me want punch the videographer. Turn it sideways, people.

34. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 2:56 pm:

“Put ‘em up, put ‘em up! Which one of you first? I’ll fight you both together if you want. I’ll fight you with one paw tied behind my back. I’ll fight you standing on one foot. I’ll fight you with my eyes closed… ohh, pullin’ an axe on me, eh? Sneaking up on me, eh?”

35. - Louis G Atsaves - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:03 pm:

No other “political” group was treated like that in that particular parade.

36. - Ducky LaMoore - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:04 pm:

He would have punched somebody, but he was too afraid of breaking his watch.

37. - Anonymous - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:05 pm:

Well, making up stories worked for Reagan, maybe it will work for Rauner.

38. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:15 pm:

Initially, I would like to congratulate the Raunernites here for trotting out the “this means nothing line” as opposed to the “Quinn is desperate line.” It is good that they kept things moderate.

Second, as a Greek, I find Rauner’s outrage here sort of annoying.

Traditionally, this was a parade for Greeks to celebrate independence. It was a big deal for some of the Greek groups to go and dance.

It is unfortunate that Rauner wants to turn this into yet another parade with long lines of pandering politicians.

Go campaign someplace else. Leave us the heck alone.

39. - walker - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:23 pm:

Usually marshalls try to keep groups in their assigned place or order in the parade. Some think they are entitled to ignore them. Could be a required empty gap behind dignitaries. Could also be a mistake by this marshall.

Doubt it had anything to do with Quinn.

Playing victim always gets cheers with this crowd.

40. - OneMan - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:24 pm:

So if Quinn marched in it I am guessing he didn’t have a single Quinn green sign with him, did he?

41. - Gage Park - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:25 pm:

@Rich I think you/Rauner meant *the punch line. At least it’s mildly interesting to know Rauner has a sense of humor!

42. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:28 pm:

One Man,

I don’t know if Quinn had signs or not.

Like most Greeks, my family couldn’t care less.

The family was focused on looking for the group from Crete.

This isn’t a political event.

43. - Anonymoiis - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:30 pm:

==Go campaign someplace else. Leave us the heck alone.==

You sure rebut the story that he wasn’t welcome there!

Odd that you didn’t include Quinn being there as part of your “politicians stay out” speech.

44. - Knome Sane - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:32 pm:

It seems to me that Quinn so desperately wants this election to be an extension of the Obama/Romney campaign. It is apparent that he is searching for that magic video, preferably an explosive one, in which Rauner disparages the 47%, also known as the “have-nots” ala Mitt Romney.

But he doesn’t have that video in this case. Quinn also doesn’t a “smoking gun” video in the “I love Illinois” clip that he uses in the feckless ad that mimics the Obama/Romney ad from 2012.

If I were a Quinn booster, I’d be very worried that there ain’t no “there” there in this poorly run campaign. He and Frerich’s should just switch campaign teams and see what that does for their respective losing campaigns.

45. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:32 pm:

Oh, and it is also the day that the kids get Greek flags, which stay by their beds for the next few months and that, in a best case scenario, are not used to poke their brother/sister.

So this is about 1) waiting for the group from Crete; and 2) obtain a stick with a blue flag, with said stick ideally not to be used a weapon.

It is about those things, and not about some elected official or some candidate.

46. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:35 pm:

And there goes Knome Sane with the “QUINN IS DESPERATE!” card.

I was hoping we could avoid that one on this thread.

No such luck.

47. - Knome Sane - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:36 pm:

@ Gooner, try reading the actual words I wrote before you immediately read the words between them.

48. - Louis G Atsaves - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

@Gooner, get over the faux outrage. Marching in that parade were nearly every single Cook County and Chicago politician of both parties, along with Rauner and Quinn. Kirk was also there (just behind my group) riding in a convertible.

49. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:39 pm:

Knome, I’ve got bad news.

It appears that somebody else is posting, under your name, that Quinn is desperate. Hopefully we can bring that person to justice, and protect your good name!

50. - Rich Miller - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:40 pm:

===Kirk was also there (just behind my group) riding in a convertible.===

So when Rauner said he was the “only Republican” in the parade, he wasn’t telling the truth?

51. - Gooner - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

Really Louis?

That’s possible, but like most Greeks, my family didn’t notice any of them. Didn’t care. It wasn’t why we were there.

52. - wordslinger - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:41 pm:

So Louis, way back in March, the powers-that-be in Greektown were already in the tank for Quinn and pushing poor lil’ Bruce around?

From conversations with the Greek bartenders I know, I find that more than a little surprising. How do you account for this protectiveness toward their old buddy, Pat?

53. - Knome Sane - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:42 pm:

@Gooner, thanks for having my back, buddy.

54. - Yellow Dog Democrat - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:42 pm:

“Millions of women are victims of domestic violence. Threatening to punch someone is not a laughing matter, and not the kind of a leader most women in Illinois want.”

YDD

55. - Louis G Atsaves - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:55 pm:

@Rich Miller: No spin here from me. Kirk was there. So was I. So were a number of other Republicans present. The Greek-American community isn’t as solidly Democrat as local mythology claims! :-)

56. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:57 pm:

===So, when Rauner said, “I was the only Republican in this parade,” he wasn’t telling the truth?===

If Rauner was the only Republican after Louis said Kirk WAS there, then his Denied New Trier Daughter must not have gotten that fake perfect score to get clouted into Payton Prep too.

“Right? Exactly right.”

57. - Louis G Atsaves - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 3:58 pm:

@wordslinger: No, that was the action of one goof wearing a marshall sash and directing floats and marchers. Happened during the parade. No conspiracy in my mind.

Thanks to that marshall, Rauner got his name announced twice that afternoon!

58. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:06 pm:

I have listened to the video very closely;

“I was the only Rau-ner-ian in the parade…”

Raunerian?

It’s better than bold face lying about your Daughter I guess, so try that Rauner Crew

59. - Sunshine - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:14 pm:

I still like Bruce over Quinn.

60. - admin - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:21 pm:

Scuse me but Louis Atsaves was the lead objector against the Illinois GOP backed petition challenge against the libertarian party and candidate for governor’s signatures (I’ll spell it out - this was done for Rauner- duh). Let’s not pretend he’s objective.

61. - too obvious - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:25 pm:

Rauner had no problem bumping a more deserving student out of Walter Peyton Prep to make room for his daughter. But the mere thought of him being moved to a different spot in a parade has him thinking about getting physical.

What an arrogant piece of work.

62. - Gator - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:33 pm:

Let’s not kid ourselves, the Greek parade is not the most organized event out there (I can say that, I’ve marched in it many times and know people on the organizing committee).

Assuming the incident happened, it could have been because some random individual who WASN’T affiliated with the Quinn campaign didn’t know that Bruce Rauner was a dignitary and shooed him away. It was easy for people to walk into the parade route……it’s Halsted after all, not Columbus Drive.

Bruce was dressed very casual whereas the other dignitaries were in suits, so it was easy for some person to assume Bruce was a nobody off the street. If this “incident” actually happened, it was probably for some innocuous reason like this.

I highly doubt the Governor would sanction somebody to kick Rauner out of a parade.

63. - Team America - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:40 pm:

admin - Lou is a die-hard Republican, but he’s also honest to a fault, and he’s not a Rauner apologist. I think his comments pretty clearly reflect that.

64. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:44 pm:

Agreed.

- LGA -’s word is solid. If he told me this to be true, I believe him. And if he were an apologist for Rauner, he wouldn’t have given Kirk’s name to refute Bruce, besides the fact he wouldn’t do it

65. - low level - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:49 pm:

Was Evelyn S. allowed to march with Rauner?

(or has she been hidden away safely again so as not to say anything dumb in public.??)

66. - low level - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 4:53 pm:

I can just picture poor Evelyn trying to get with Bruce’s float and Bruce’s people kicking her out….

“But, Bruce - I’m your Lt Gov partner!!!”

“Uh, Evelyn - why don’t you go to the Cayman Islands until Nov. 10th? It’ll be real nice down there for you”

Of course, they would know to be gentle so “slip and sue” doesn’t, well, sue!

67. - Oswego Willy - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 5:00 pm:

- low level -

Maybe Bruce just cut out the middleman and bought an insurance company to underwrite “Ole Slip and Sue”.

Probably cheaper.

But…Bruce was the ONLY Republican at the parade, so…

68. - Team America - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 5:19 pm:

admin, you seem shocked, SHOCKED, that one party would challenge another party’s petitions. Everyone does it. Does that mean that whoever fronts the petition is a untrustworthy party hack? Be careful who you paint with that brush.

69. - 13thone - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 5:45 pm:

Geez! “Once when I was at Bank camp…….. and then I almost punched em’ all”,the end.

70. - low level - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 6:10 pm:

OW - indeed. Billionaire Bruce couldn’t get any Republican of substance to run with him (he having so little of it himself) so he probably did buy a policy as you mentioned when they found Evelyn and looked up her record.

Except, Bruce isn’t about to punch her to keep her away. I don’t think it would cover him if he is the offender, but I’ll leave that one up to the lawyers.

71. - low level - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 6:19 pm:

My question now is, (Louis maybe you can answer - you seem to know a lot about Rauner):

If he’s elected, will Bruce even want to attend any marches next year after he shuts down state government?

One thing you have to give Quinn - despite being booed at events for much of the past year or more, he keeps showing up. He was at the White Sox game Saturday to proclaim Frank Thomas day and he was roundly jeered.

I can’t see Billionaire Bruce showing at any parades once he shuts down the state and he is heckled.

72. - dr. reason a. goodwin - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 9:42 pm:

Punching people out seemed to work for “Fighting” Senator Sam Vadalabene.

73. - Makandadawg - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 10:12 pm:

Politicians and parades, really this is news? I am surprised more fights don’t break out.

74. - just saying - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 10:35 pm:

how many fights did Bruce get into at Dartmouth or Winnetka? He must throw a mean punch.

75. - Redux - Monday, Aug 18, 14 @ 11:35 pm:

===Rauner has to be a laugh riot having a beer with===

He actually kinda is.===

I’m still laughing so hard from that beer with Bush that I kinda lost count of the body bags over the years. Seriously, RM?

76. - WindyCity - Tuesday, Aug 19, 14 @ 9:22 am:

I am quite surprised it wasn’t The Shrimpf that in his best spokesman voice said that Bruce almost hit someone. Sgt. Schultz was apparently off duty.

* No pension bump for Stermer, MJM still not persuaded on special session
* SUBSCRIBERS ONLY - More comptroller stuff
* 1:30 comptroller announcement expected - Stermer appointed, says he will resign January 12th
* Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Bears open thread
* More adventures in misgovernance
* Question of the day - Golden Horseshoe Awards
* Petulance all around

* Galaxy S6 evidence, Sony Xperia Z4 leak, Lumia Denim & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * Deezer update: lyrics you can read or sing-along to
        * Rovio updates Angry Birds Epic RPG with player vs player gameplay
        * Google confirms NVIDIA Tegra K1 as Project Ara SoC option
        * Looney Tunes make a comeback on mobile devices with new game
        * Samsung Galaxy J1 tipped as upcoming entry-level Android
        * Oppo R5 review: Thin is an understatement

* Lian-Li O Series: Thin and Slek Wall-Mountable Chassis
        * Xbox One VR Kit In The Pipeline (Rumor)
        * Sony Teaser Video On What To Expect At CES 2015