Quote of the week

Friday, Oct 31, 2008

* Let’s try to keep the comments clean, please. Also, despite the topic, even minor violent imagery is always deleted, so don’t do it

Gov. Rod Blagojevich shot back against recent polls have that have shown abysmal approval ratings, saying he’s happy to get his “ass kicked” as a champion of the people.

At an event on Thursday, Blagojevich defended his record by saying he has pushed for programs that are meaningful to the people of Illinois, such as ensuring free rides for seniors on CTA buses and trains, and pushing for a ban on foreclosures.

“All of those things happened because we had to push and prod and fight through the system to get it done for people, and if I get bloodied up in the process, and there are some times when people are just not generally approving, I feel honored to get my ass kicked for the people,” Blagojevich said.

Ugh.

1. - Ignorant - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:36 am:

With his fingers in his ears and his eyes closed Rod utters “lalalalalalalala”…”I can’t hear you”…”lalalalala”

2. - cynically anonymous - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:37 am:

Does anyone else find it a little scary that this man seems to truly believe that he has served the people of the state well?

3. - Speaking At Will - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:37 am:

Was he referring to the donkey that he was leading around on a rope as the “ass” that was going to be kicked?

This guy is really pushing the envelope of dilusion.

4. - Truth - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:42 am:

Yoo-hoo. Rod. The PEOPLE are the one’s kicking your ass. It’s a poll of people. Not legislators.

5. - Highland, IL - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:45 am:

“And by ‘ass’, I mean my party”, said Governor Blagojevich

6. - jagsfan217 - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:47 am:

Rod ought to be careful, those kicks are fairly close to his testicular fortitude area.

7. - Thomas - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:48 am:

Like the program the denies my sister, single mother of three youngsters health care coverage. Rod’s programs are garbage self-serving propaganda.
    Thanks for nothing!

8. - Levois - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:48 am:

He’ll probably cry in a real wrestling ring.

9. - VanillaMan - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:48 am:

So the reason the people hate you is because your fight for their best interests?

That isn’t logical, is it?

10. - OneMan - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:48 am:

So let me gets this right, he is happy to be disliked by the very people he is trying to help because he thinks they are helping him?

I think I just felt something pop in my brain…

Oh look a kitty

11. - prowler - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:49 am:

Still working on his Insanity Defense, Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity.

12. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:50 am:

OneMan, that was hilarious!!! Made my day.

13. - Tom B. - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:51 am:

I second that notion. One Man, well done.

14. - Deeda - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:52 am:

WHAT!!! This man needs a vacation to the loony bin.

15. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:53 am:

Cutting health services to pay for health services. What’s not to like?

16. - Squideshi - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:54 am:

I guess you can’t blame him for trying to spin things; but, honestly, what a pathetic attempt.

17. - How Ironic - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:56 am:

Since my first post was deleted I will try to tread lightly.

Somwhere deep down, I think that Blago fancies himself as either “Rocky” or Mohammad Ali. In his little world, he is rope-a-doping all of his critics, and somehow right before the next election he is going to unleash and mount a turnaround.

Except that Fitzgerald doesn’t punch himself out. And the crowd is only sticking around to see if he is too stupid to throw in the towel.

18. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:57 am:

“Oh look, a kitty” will go through my mind every time RRB does something extremely goofy.

19. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:57 am:

“I have nothing to fear but the truth.”

[Pop!]

Oh look, a kitty.

20. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:00 pm:

I think we need to parse here. “…the people…” in this case should be read “…the people who work for me and consistently nod their heads in the affirmative…”

Case in point: DNR’s budget gets cut and Rod chooses to close parks rather than lay off some campaign workers in waiting.

21. - 13 - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:00 pm:

“Isn’t that a baker’s dozen? Oh look, a kitty! Meow? Meow?”

22. - Just Asking - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:10 pm:

Do they allow inmates to have kitty’s in the federal holiday inn?

23. - Deeda - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:14 pm:

I think that is a insult on cats. Cats are far to intelligent to be in the same sentence as Blago. How about squirrels, they are rats with large bushy tails. They steel peoples nuts and aren’t shy to beg for more.

24. - wordslinger - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:16 pm:

I suspect he’ll soon be receiving that same treatment from the people, as in “The People vs. Blago.” Not an honor.

25. - The Medication Express - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:18 pm:

Rod ate his Tin Foil hat a long time ago.

26. - unclesam - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:22 pm:

(Warning, very thin conspiracy theory): This is all a sublte way for the Governor to campaign against the Speaker by being for Illinois Democrats as a whole. Further, since Madigan doesn’t want a con-con neither does he — therefore increasing the chances a con-con will occur. It all fits!

Also, Rich, the next t-shirts to print and buy from CapFax should just simply read on the front: “Illinois Politics: “Oh look, a kitty!”

27. - Stacker of Wheat - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:29 pm:

Bizarre. Do think he’ll be found competent to testify at his trial. I see a defense strategy forming.

28. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:32 pm:

At least the spin sisters were logical in their outlandish and innacurate statements. Blago’s excuses don’t even go from point A to point B anymore. The people hate me because I am helping them so much is incomprehensible.

I hate to see what his plans are to get people to “love him again”. The people can’t handle anymore of his help.

He has accomplished one thing of note. By unifying the people of a very diverse state into nearly universal dislike, he has demonstrated the potential that we can all work together for the common good.

29. - Pot calling kettle - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:34 pm:

How many weeks before there is a press conference where Rod is wandering around like John McCain at a town hall debate?

30. - doubtful - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:43 pm:

This just begs the question, ‘Why is he allowed to talk?’

Especially so close to the election. Can’t he take a vacation?

31. - Chambananon - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 12:52 pm:

Gotta say, OneMan and Rich’s comments today actually made this comment by Brago somehow enjoyable…

…do I have to dislike them now, too, for making me refer to Rod as “enjoyable” in any way?

P.S. I second the move for a Tee-Shirt involving the “Oh look, a kitty” tagline — put the interns to work!

32. - Phineas J. Whoopee - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:02 pm:

For all of us squares out here, what’s with the “Oh look, a kitty” deal? Inside jokes, or jokes I don’t get, should be banned.

33. - Chambananon - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:03 pm:

Phineas, read through the comments above, and you’ll laugh, and then be “in” on the joke.

34. - zatoichi - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:08 pm:

Which people is he referring to? Every citizen of the state? The rich..not likely, campers/hikers in the state parks..apparently not, people who got budget cuts..nah, the ones who actually pay for everything..try again, the 87% who didn’t rate his perforamnce as good..duh, groups who are owed money or got stiffed..not betting on it?. Who is the people he refers to?

35. - School is fun - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:12 pm:

I like the Squirrel idea.

36. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:26 pm:

==Inside jokes, or jokes I don’t get, should be banned==
    Maybe on your own blog! How about taking time to use your ctrl-F function and search for a word? You could have been ‘in’ with less effort than it took to type your whining…

37. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:26 pm:

OK I have read the above comments and still don’t get the kitty joke, and know we have a squirrel. What is next? Call me Rod but I have no Idea.

38. - Six Degrees of Separation - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:26 pm:

Phineas-

“Oh, Look! A Kitty” is an expression attributed to someone with a short attention span.

BTW, here’s a Tshirt all ready to…Oh, Look! A Kitty!”

39. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:29 pm:

I don’t think Vote Quimby got it either.

40. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:30 pm:

People, just do a search in this post and you’ll see OneMan’s comment…

=== OneMan - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 11:48 am

I think I just felt something pop in my brain…

Oh look a kitty===

Get it now?

Sheesh.

41. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:31 pm:

Thank You Six Degrees of Separation. Then why is someone talking about a squirrel?

42. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:31 pm:

Bosc: I got it and was asking PJW to put some effort into posting…

43. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:33 pm:

Sorry,

I was having a brain freeze. Oh What maybe that is what is happening to Rod.

44. - North of I-80 - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:33 pm:

Maybe Fitz will honor Gov B, us and the kitty by kicking some more governor a** in the future. An indictment should be good for another 5% loss in approval, with or without a kitty.

45. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:33 pm:

Boscobud, you’re making me laugh harder than OneMan did.

I think I have the pre-election punchies.

Oh, look, a squirrel.

46. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:36 pm:

I think I’ve got something related to that, plus a raided-the-trick-or-treat-stash-this-morning-now-this-afternoon-dealing-with-serious-drop-in-blood-sugar-itis.

47. - sweet music - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:42 pm:

This will help Rod’s mood: the story made it to Farkdotcom’s main page, where people from every nation have comments on him:

Maybe he should have handed out some free candy today at the mansion after all?

48. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:43 pm:

Rich,
    I am just a stay at home mom with two kids. One has autism and somedays I have a hard time removing the autism hat and putting on the adult thinking hat. So please forgive me for leaving my autism hat on.

49. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:48 pm:

50. - Anon - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:54 pm:

==Then why is someone talking about a squirrel? ==

Why a duck?

51. - Big Mama T - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:56 pm:

Daddy. Why is that Kitty hissing at you?

52. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 1:57 pm:

Anon said the secret word!!!

53. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:00 pm:

Did Anon win the sliver coin? (Bozo Buckets)

54. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:16 pm:

…and then this kitty looks and says “Hey It’s Mayor Daley!”…

55. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:22 pm:

“Who’s buried in Grant’s tomb?”!

56. - Six Degrees of Separation - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:24 pm:

“What color is an orange?”

57. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:27 pm:

“Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.”

58. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:27 pm:

A Orange can sometimes be red. It depends on what kind of orange. Some are white and others are orange. Who is buried in Grants Tomb, well that has to be Usslyess Grant.

59. - Rich Miller - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:30 pm:

“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.”

60. - Big Mama T - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:33 pm:

What’s the phone number for 911?

61. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:39 pm:

Can you make a bullshot?
    Can you make a shoe smell?

62. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:46 pm:

What day of the week is Thanksgiving?

63. - Boscobud - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:47 pm:

Circuit City has WII’s on sale.

64. - Jaded - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 2:58 pm:

Now I get it. I always thought that everytime Rod repeated a line in a speach, he was doing it for effect. Now I know it is code for “oh look, a kitty”.

65. - birdseed - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:03 pm:

“I only regret that I have but one ass to have handed back to me for my country.”

66. - Justice - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:06 pm:

“….get my ass kicked for the people…” How bout “….by the people…and the Feds!”

67. - Vote Quimby! - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:08 pm:

the Cubs and Sox got their a$$ kicked in the playoffs and people still like them…

68. - Dan S, a Voter and Cubs Fan - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:10 pm:

This is further proof that Blagoof is building an insanity defense. Who at W/S will be defending him any way? Oh look, a rabitt!!!

69. - Confused - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:26 pm:

This is a wierd Blog thread today. It must be Friday.

Oh look, Obama was with Rezco too.

70. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:38 pm:

YOU

71. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:39 pm:

SHOULD

72. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:39 pm:

HAVE

73. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:39 pm:

BOUGHT

74. - My Knd of Town - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 3:39 pm:

A SQUIRREL

75. - Can't Use My Nickname - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 4:06 pm:

Rich Miller 11:57 - I am laughing so hard that I am weeping - absolutely hilarious.

76. - Six Degrees of Separation - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 4:11 pm:

These t shirts are more popular than I thought. Chickens and squirrels, too.

77. - wordslinger - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 4:32 pm:

On “You Bet Your Life,” you say the secret word and the duck with the cigar drops down and you win $100.

On “Pee-Wee’s Playhouse,” whenever anyone says the secret word, everyone screams.

A Great Groucho: A contestant was a woman who had 15 children, to which Groucho raised his famous eyebrows.

“I love my husband,” she said sheepishly.

“I love my cigar,” Groucho said. “But I take it out every once in a while!”

78. - Gregor - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 5:23 pm:

Tomorrow expect a Blago press release that the state has bought up a lot of free chocolate coins from Canada to hand out to Illinois kids… the follow-up will be that they are the melamine-fortified Chinese variety. Rod will somehow find a way to blame a Madigan for it.

79. - Ahem - Friday, Oct 31, 08 @ 7:43 pm:

Give that giraffe a hug.

80. - Ken in Aurora - Saturday, Nov 1, 08 @ 12:00 am:

I really am beginning to think Rodster’s trying to build a Vincent Gigante-style defense. When does he start showing up for events in a bathrobe and fuzzy slippers?

81. - Bookworm - Saturday, Nov 1, 08 @ 12:12 am:

Has the guv perhaps been watching “This Is Spinal Tap” lately? Not only does he want voters to “kick this ass,” he’s also convinced himself that his “appeal is becoming more selective.”

82. - Bookworm - Saturday, Nov 1, 08 @ 9:22 am:

The Cap Fax’s new motto should be “Kicking Blago’s Ass For the People.”

83. - Laura - Saturday, Nov 1, 08 @ 11:00 am:

Bookworm…love the new motto, hysterical! Maybe if indeed the Gov has been watching Spinal Tap - he thinks it’s an example of a great documentary.

* *** UPDATED *** THIS JUST IN... Judge orders permanent stay on pension law
* Today's number: 10 percent
* Unclear on the concept
* Could be a big day
* Illinois leaders react to Obama's immigration order
* TrackBill – An Introduction
* Caption contest!

* Google’s Nexus 6 Might Be Too Big For Right Now, But Right-Sized For The Future
        * You Should Play: Monster Strike is a delightful mashup of monster battles and pinball
        * HTC Desire Eye Review: Welcome to the (selfie) machine
        * The Week in iPad Cases: Extra storage, ultra rugged, and everything in between
        * Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
        * Do you really care about health tracking wearables?
        * Weekend Game Getaway: Kingdom Rush Origins, Soulcalibur Sale

* This Week's Top Downloads
        * These are the tablets to put on your Black Friday hit list
        * Have Kids Find the “Bargain Price” to Teach Them About Money
        * Technology set journalism free, now new platforms are in control
        * Change to a Better Airline Seat by Asking the Day of an Flight