* I called the U of I’s public relations office the other day and left a message. They sent me a form letter e-mail response. So I responded to that with my question…
Has anyone from the Chicago Tribune or Tribune Co. contacted any U of I press office regarding admissions issues with a potential student in the past 7 years?
No response yet.
I figured I’d ask since the Tribune describes itself as a “landmark” Illinois institution. If they’re a landmark, then they apparently gots lots o’ power. So, I thought the question was reasonable.
The U.S. attorney’s office wants to know if former Gov. Rod Blagojevich or his power brokers sought a leg-up for applicants to at least two state universities.
Campus spokespeople confirmed today that Southern Illinois University and Northern Illinois University have received subpoenas seeking records of communications between campus officials and Blagojevich, William Cellini, Antoin “Tony” Rezko, Chris Kelly and Alonzo “Lon” Monk between 2002 and 2008. […]
“It sounds like sort of a sweep across the state to look at all the universities,” said NIU spokeswoman Melanie Magara.
The DeKalb campus received its subpoena Tuesday, and has until July 2 to comply. SIU received its subpoena Monday, said spokesman Dave Gross.
“We’ve got no reason to believe any such records exist, but the general counsel is going to have to conduct this search through both campuses. We’ll wait and see what information is derived from that process,” Gross said.
Requests for such information weren’t unexpected in the wake of the U of I controversy, which is also under investigation by a commission appointed by Gov. Pat Quinn, [SIU spokesman and government relations officer David Gross] said.
Illinois State University spokesman Jay Groves said the Normal-based school had not received a subpoena as of Tuesday but that it was possible it might in the near future.
Neither Eastern Illinois University nor Western Illinois University had received a similar request either, officials on the campuses reported.
* Illinois lawmakers can’t investigate admission scandal: So Quinn awarded legislative oversight of this commission to a guy with a track record of giving taxpayer-funded scholarships to one of his top campaign contributors.
* 3 yards and a clout of dust: Then my utter disbelief turned to bemusement when I learned that this reported pressure was being applied by government officials and other well-connected individuals in the state. I had assumed all along that it was coming from coaches, the athletic director or ardent boosters of the institution’s intercollegiate sports teams.
* Lights … cameras … Blago
* Rod Blagojevich poses with, signs satirical sculpture of himself at Lillstreet Art Center in Ravenswood
* Burris’ Shock Discovery: the Pentagon Has Research Labs!
* U. of I., still hiding