Sen. Trotter arrested for trying to take gun on plane

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2012

* I’m pretty sure he has a carry permit through his association with a private detective agency, but you can’t do this even with that

State Sen. Donne Trotter on Wednesday was busted for bringing a handgun and bullets through an O’Hare Airport security checkpoint on his way to catch a flight to Washington D.C., sources told DNAinfo.com.

Trotter, who last week announced he would seek the Congressional seat vacated by former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., was charged with felony attempt to board an aircraft with a weapon, law enforcement sources said.

TSA agents discovered an unloaded .25 caliber pistol and a clip loaded with live rounds packed inside Trotter’s garment bag about 8 a.m.. Trotter told investigators that he worked the late shift for security for Allpoints Security and Detective Inc. the night before and didn’t realize the weapon and bullets were in his bag when he packed for his trip, sources said.

…Adding… WBEZ

[Trotter] told WBEZ last week he was headed there for a national conference of black state lawmakers, and to tap his allies in Congress to hook him up with possible campaign donors for his 2nd Congressional District campaign.

1. - Anonymous - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:58 pm:

Read where the gun is registered to his state capitol office address. Kind of odd.

2. - Anon - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:59 pm:

So Toi get the 12 days of Christmas all at once?

3. - phocion - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 2:59 pm:

Ooops. Hope they don’t try to make an example of him. Then again, look at LaShawn Ford.

4. - Chucky Jay - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:01 pm:

Senator Trotter all but had the slating locked up per Rich’s previous article. Do Zuc and the rest of the party faithful pull support from him now? For who? Toi? Harris?

5. - Skeeter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:03 pm:

Traditionally, Congressmen from the Second District are arrested AFTER the election.

He clearly was not a proper fit for the district.

6. - Adam Smith - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:04 pm:

Given the voters of the Second District’s overwhelming support of JJJ, perhaps this is a bid to show he has the general disregard for common sense that makes him eminently qualified to fill Junior’s shoes.

7. - Plutocrat03 - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:04 pm:

So give him a “parking ticket” and move on unless there is evidence of a larger crime afoot

8. - ILPundit - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:06 pm:

Gee, I wonder why he was on his way to Washington DC?

Awkward.

9. - Anonymour - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:07 pm:

I disagree, Skeeter. He was just getting a head start on showing he belonged alongside his predecessors.

10. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:08 pm:

“Sam Adam, Jr., attorney for state Senator Tortter …”

Waiting for that next.

11. - Carl Warlock, Protector of the Universe - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:10 pm:

Why does Donne Trotter work as a security guard? It’s not what I imagine, right? Him sitting in a booth overlooking a parking lot with a black and white tv on? Or is it? I never would have guessed that he moonlighted as a security guard. Somebody please enlighten me.

12. - John A Logan - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:12 pm:

Of course, Mr. Trotter stands against right to carry for everyone else………typical.

13. - ChicagoR - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:13 pm:

So during the veto session he’s working nights as a security guard and also travelling from Chicago to DC?

14. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:15 pm:

===I never would have guessed that he moonlighted as a security guard. ===

He doesn’t.

15. - Downstater - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:22 pm:

=didn’t realize the weapon and bullets were in his bag when he packed for his trip, sources said=
    Hmmm! That should go down as
    “best of excuses” for unkowningly breaking the law. As a state senator, did he advocate or vote to restrict handguns in Illinois or Chicago? I say he fits right in.

16. - Pot calling kettle - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:23 pm:

I have to think this is an honest mistake. Back in the day (pre-911), I was on a plane, mid-flight, going through my carry-on looking for a pen or something and found my hunting knife (5-inch blade, definitely not allowed). I was mortified, I was sure I had moved it to my check in luggage. Needless to say I kept it buried in the bottom of my bag, and, during a 2-hr layover, I stayed behind security.

17. - Guzzlepot - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:25 pm:

It’s beginning to seem that the seat is cursed.

18. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:26 pm:

I have only one question. Why is he still in the lockup? Why couldn’t he post bond immediately instead of being held overnight. That just strikes me as very odd.

19. - Cheryl44 - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:26 pm:

I can’t wait to see Kass’s column tomorrow. Well, except I never read Kass. But still.

20. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:27 pm:

I still say this seat has “Sam Adam, Jr.” written all over it, if he files as a Repub.

21. - Skeeter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:27 pm:

Pot Calling Kettle,

Were his votes for gun control also a mistake?

The issue is not that he messed up one day.

The issue is that he wants the law to be one way for you and me, but different for him. He can carry, but nobody else can.

22. - Gary Hutton - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:30 pm:

Are Illinois politicians “permanently stuck on stupid”?

23. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:32 pm:

===The issue is that he wants the law to be one way for you and me, but different for him.===

Try reading. He has a permit. You can get the same permit.

24. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:34 pm:

Who says Trotter is against right to carry?

25. - Champaign - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:35 pm:

In all fairness to Sen. Trotter, if it was unloaded and in some fashion of a case, it would be legal to transport in 101 counties in Illinois. Going to the airport though was a mistake unless he was checking a bag. Had it happen to a friend and he was released to fly and given a $1500.00 fine.

Curious about where they are going with the tan card/PERC angle. That is only relevant if he is carrying on duty or for 1 hour traveling to/from work.

Wonder what kind of .25 auto he owns…

26. - Skeeter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:36 pm:

Maybe I’m confused.

The article seemed to say that he got the permit because he worked as a security guard.

The comments above say he did not moonlight as a security guard.

Are you saying that anybody should just call themselves security guards?

27. - Mr.Big Trouble - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:36 pm:

A ” parking ticket” ? Are you kidding ?? It is a felony . The ” oops, I forgot it was there” excuse generally doesn’t fly w/ a felony arrest. Pun intended!

28. - Champaign - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:37 pm:

Rich,
    If he doesn’t moonlight as a security guard, why does he have the tan card?

29. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:37 pm:

LOL, Skeeter, it’s a security and detective firm.

30. - Econ Prof - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:38 pm:

*didn’t realize the weapon and bullets were in his bag when he packed for his trip*

Isn’t this the same dumb excuse that Barry Switzer gave back in the day when he got caught? This will get swept under the rug, but he’s probably out of the running for the Congressional seat now.

31. - TheGoodLieutenant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:40 pm:

Not a big deal here folks, he wasn’t carrying per se, he was transporting, and if he weren’t in Chicago or at the airport, he would have been perfectly legal in doing so.

32. - Crime Fighter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:42 pm:

Another person brought down by the beloved gun.

33. - walkinfool - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:44 pm:

This is the Devil’s Triangle District.

34. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:44 pm:

“state Senator Trotter is looking to be on the Homeland Security Sub-Committee if elected…”

DOWNTRODDENED! SENATOR DONNE TROTTER PINCHED WITH GUN

35. - Chucky Jay - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:45 pm:

@good lt. But he was in Chicago and trying to board a plane. Felony.

36. - Skeeter - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:45 pm:

Rich, if that’s true it would make it even worse.

If he’s sitting in an office, why would he need one?

I get that somebody outside on patrol might need one. But the guy making calls to get contracts?

Was he working security or not? Was he working in a job where it would be necessary for the job?

37. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:46 pm:

“Can I post bail yet? I have a meeting with House Chair on Homeland Security, and I don’t want to be late.”

38. - Not a fan - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:49 pm:

I agree with Skeeter that he must think he’s above the law if he tried to board a plane with a concealed weapon - whether or not he claims to work security…

39. - Ouch - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:55 pm:

Give the guy a break. We all know he’s smart. He wears a bowtie.

40. - OneMan - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:55 pm:

The image of Senator Trotter as some sort of 40’s detective like Johnny Dollar is entertaining…

41. - TheGoodLieutenant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 3:58 pm:

In all fairness, this has nothing to do with concealed carry, as he wasn’t carrying on his person, nor was the firearm loaded. It was in a container. This happens quite a bit actually, to the tune of hundreds of times annually. Check your luggage folks!

42. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:01 pm:

Skeeter, you continue to change your argument, from fallacious to nonsensical. Take a breath and start over please.

lol

43. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:03 pm:

“Please refer all questions to my partner, Sam Spade …”

44. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:04 pm:

===but he’s probably out of the running for the Congressional seat now. ===

Or he gets more street cred. “Ratt-a-Tatt-Trotter.” It is the 2nd District after all.

45. - amalia - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

toast.

46. - Not a fan - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:09 pm:

I’m not sure I’d consider a garrment bag a suitable firearms container, but if I did, I’m pretty sure it would cross my mind before boarding a plane.

47. - Demoralized - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:11 pm:

@Skeeter:

His job is irrelevant. It’s not illegal to have a gun in Illinois last time I checked. And, as long as he has a FOID card he can transport a firearm as long as it’s unloaded and in a case. It doesn’t sound like he was breaking any laws with regard to the firearm itself.

But, it is a HUGE no-no to try to carry a firearm on a plane, whether it was unintentional or not. There is a NO EXCEPTIONS policy on that (and stupidity isn’t an excuse).

48. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:15 pm:

I think Sen. Trotter is a decent person who would represent the district well, as my comments in previous threads attest.

I do not, however, understand why any Senator is working the “late shift” and then cruising on over to O’Hare the next afternoon for flight out during veto session.

Legislators have lives, but is it too much to ask for 36 hours of undivided attention and public service before taking off from Springfield until next year?

Perhaps Allpoints told him, “It doesn’t matter if you’re a legislator during veto session, you’re working the late shift that night. And no trading shifts.
    You can take the next few nights off, though, for your trip out of town. No problem.”

49. - Chicago Cynic - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:15 pm:

So Rich, what is Trotter’s other job, other than best dressed state senator and host to great office confabs? Is he an actual guard or does he run a company or what? I admit I’ve never known.

50. - k3 - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:23 pm:

Rich has a point-could help him in this district. But then again, with the recent past anything with the word “felony” could do some damage. Interesting to see how the gun angle plays in a district that is mostly anti-gun.

51. - TheGoodLieutenant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:25 pm:

@ Not a fan - I’m not sure that “suitable” is defined in the statute (unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying
    box, shipping box, or other container) , and I am fairly certain that garment bags aren’t explicitly excluded, but it would cross my mind as well to check my things before I go on a trip.

52. - TheGoodLieutenant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:31 pm:

@ k3 - Not all of the 2nd is anti. I know that many of us who were shafted south of 80 are not.

53. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:53 pm:

“Oswego Willy, when reached for comment, said,
    “Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli. My advice never changes.”

54. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 4:57 pm:

- Arthur Andersen -,

You are my “unoffical” Press Flack.

Heaven. Help. You.

55. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:00 pm:

Willy, I am unofficialy honored.

56. - Formerly Known As... - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:02 pm:

The President of “Allpoints Security and Detective”, incorporated in 2000, is “Sharon Benson”. One may mistakenly think that is a female.

Turns out the owner’s full name is “Gary Sharon Benson”. Didn’t see that one coming.

And Allpoint’s registered lobbyist with the City of Chicago is listed as O. Kate Tragesser of Chico & Nunes, P.C.

Just a tiny little company, I’m sure.

57. - Six Degrees of Separation - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:02 pm:

“I thought it was my Toi gun.”

58. - Rich Miller - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:03 pm:

Turns out he did work part time as a security guard. That’s a new one on me.

59. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:04 pm:

Well Said.

I am just worried you get the “Tommy DeVito” …

“That was for Oswego Willy…”

I can’t have that on my head!

Officially.

60. - steve schnorf - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:06 pm:

61. - Sgtstu - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:09 pm:

I wonder if he supports conceal carry ?

62. - unreal - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:17 pm:

63. - Just Me - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:34 pm:

Why was he working late as a “security guard” and not in Springfield for session?

64. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 5:42 pm:

Willy, Lol.

Officially.

Tommy

65. - Anon III - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:02 pm:

Stuff happens. A couple of years ago I was boarding at Midway and was using my backpack as a carryon. I completely forgot that there was a very nice pocket knife from my brother in one of the pockets on the pack. TSA got my pocket knife.

I can’t believe that the Senator was stupid enough to think he could carry on a gun. He must have forgotten it was there.

66. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:03 pm:

Took me a bit to remember this..

“I will not fold under questioning.”

67. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:09 pm:

{Maybe we could limit the negative comments to only from those who have never forgotten and tried to carry something verbotten thru security}

Maybe we can limit the comments to Bob Costas who can editorialize about this on a nationally televised sports broadcast.

68. - John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:13 pm:

@k3 >>>>> Interesting to see how the gun angle plays in a district that is mostly anti-gun.
    The 2nd is not populated by anti-gun people.
    It is represented by politicians acting in an anti-gun manner.

69. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:13 pm:

No chance they can toss this overboard either without doing the same for the 60+ year old flight attendant from last week. Which then sets a precedent for a free pass to airline employees boarding planes which is a path I don’t think TSA can afford to go down.

70. - John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:16 pm:

This story will PERColate for a day or two…

71. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:28 pm:

- AA -,

You should sleep on it.

To the post, can state Senator Trotter be convicted and serve no prison time & be a felon AND be sworn-in as a Congressman?

72. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:34 pm:

I am thinking that maybe Sen. Jacqueline Collins may have packed his bag for him while was in the back getting an aspirin because he had a headache.

73. - one day at a time - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:36 pm:

A .25 cal ACP pocket pistol ranks right up there as a “Saturday Night Special” Not quite the type of weaponry an Armed Security Guard Service would righteously carry for personal let alone public protection.

74. - Plutocrat03 - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:39 pm:

Yep, it is a felony. Did the Senator knowingly attempt to carry on a weapon? Probably not. It’s just like those dummies who argue for a Red Light Camera ticket if the wheels don’t precisely stop.

Give me a day to shadow anyone’s activities and I havd a better than 50% chance of catching then in a felony.

Lets spend our security dollars productively. Life is not supposed to be a game of gotcha. $$$ spent on dogging the good Senator are not well spent.

75. - John - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:42 pm:

I notice the incident took place at 7AM, so since he worked all night he probably went straight to the airport without going home. It is perfectly reasonable to think that he unloaded his gun after work, put it in to his bag to safely and legally transport, and then after he got to the airport forgot to remove it. I feel bad for him, but it is a reasonable and frankly not as unusual as people are making this out to be. I want to know why he was arrested since this happens in airports all over this country every day and most people are not arrested.

76. - austinman - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:52 pm:

Wow talking about big mistake but hey he is human and yes hey will still get slated

77. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:53 pm:

Sen. Trotter is now facing a felony charge for making a mistake. I would bet that he had the gun with him at another event, packed his bag and with 1000 things running through his mind forgot about it.

The fact is that This is where Anita Alverez is incompetent at running her office. She is goign to have a sitting state senator, with no record (that I know of) sitting in the can overnight to wait for a bond hearing.

Just goes to show that they should be able to look at cases and say, hey I bond this one out, no record, FOID card etc etc etc. But Anita and her anti gun minnions can’t get past the fact that people own guns and some people carry them.

It was a mistake, and the question is should he have is life ruined for a mistake?

Senator Trotter has had a mixed record on guns but with his new district that stretches down into Kankakee, he has kept an open mind.

I think the Sun times article is a hit piece devoid of context and taken from 1995. It’s 2012/13 I’m sure nobody ever changes their minds. . .

78. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:54 pm:

{I want to know why he was arrested since this happens in airports all over this country every day and most people are not arrested.}

An American Airlines flight attendant from Palatine was arrested Friday at O’Hare International Airport after security screeners discovered a gun in her carry-on luggage, authorities said.

Sheila A. Schultz, 65, of the 1200 block of North Grove Avenue, was arrested about 9:30 a.m. Friday after screeners with the Transportation Security Administration discovered the gun in an X-ray machine during routine screening, according to Chicago Police Department spokesman Veejay Zala.

Schultz was charged with one felony count of boarding an aircraft with a weapon and one misdemeanor count of possessing a firearm without a valid firearm owner’s identification card.

Schultz’s family posted $1,000 bond and she was due back in court November 30.

79. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:56 pm:

What is the sentencing guideline? Is prison mandatory?

80. - Helm - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:57 pm:

Can anyone explain why the local Cook County State’s Attorney is involved and not the Feds ? I would think this would have federal implications but admittedly don’t know.

81. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 6:58 pm:

That’s an interesting point, one day.

The little Beretta pistola, for those not so inclined, is roughly the size of an average man’s wallet.

Easy to tuck away, easy to forget about, maybe?

But not in O’Hare. C’mon, man.

Oh, and Allpoints-1995 called and wants the Website back.

82. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:09 pm:

Todd, do you have any data on how often this happens at airports and how often the individual is charged?
    I don’t have anything to reference (and would rather not use the Google right now in all candor) but my perception is different from other folks’ here.
    My impression was that 1) didn’t happen that much 2) TSA would leap over the X-Ray machines to slip on the cuffs and make the bust and make it Federal and 3) I don’t have a clue about the disposition of the cases.

83. - wishbone - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:10 pm:

Of course, we gun nuts know that a 25 caliber handgun is worthless for most purposes.

84. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:18 pm:

this is a state charge and not a federal one. Their are federal laws against it, but they usually defer tot he state unless it is a terrorist or hijacking type thing.

I don’t have any hard numbers on how often it happens, but it happens quite a bit. people make mistakes. They get busy, they forget.

85. - Boone Logan Square - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:20 pm:

Will the ISRA endorse him now?

86. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:31 pm:

(720 ILCS 5/Art. 29D heading)
    ARTICLE 29D. TERRORISM

(720 ILCS 5/29D-35.1 new)
    Sec. 29D-35.1. Boarding or attempting to board an aircraft with weapon.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to board or attempt to board any commercial or charter aircraft, knowingly having in his or her possession any firearm, explosive of any type, or
    other lethal or dangerous weapon.

(b) This Section does not apply to any person authorized by either the federal government or any state government to carry firearms, but the person so exempted from the provisions of this Section shall notify the commander of any aircraft he or she is about to board that he or she does possess a firearm and show identification satisfactory to the aircraft commander that he or she is authorized to carry that firearm.

(c) Any person purchasing a ticket to board any commercial or charter aircraft shall by that purchase consent to a search of his or her person or personal belongings by the company selling the ticket to him or her. The person may refuse to
    submit to a search of his or her person or personal belongings by the aircraft company, but the person refusing may be denied the right to board the commercial or charter aircraft at the
    discretion of the carrier.

Such a refusal creates no inference of unlawful conduct.

(d) Any evidence of criminal activity found during a search made pursuant to this Section shall be admissible in legal proceedings for the sole purpose of supporting a charge of
    violation of this Section and is inadmissible as evidence in any legal proceeding for any other purpose, except in the prosecution of offenses related to weapons as set out in Article 24 of this Code.

(e) No action may be brought against any commercial or charter airline company operating in this State for the refusal of that company to permit a person to board any aircraft if that person refused to be searched as set out in subsection (c) of this Section.

(f) Violation of this Section is a Class 4 felony.

87. - TheGoodLieutenant - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:36 pm:

TSA reported 1105 as of Sept. 26 and 1320 total in 2011.

88. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:38 pm:

Sen. Trotter voted for the law he is allged to have violated.

Public Act . . . . . . . . . 96-0710

SB1300-

Senate Bill No. 1300
    THIRD READING
    May 27, 2009
    57 YEAS 0 NAYS 0 PRESENT

89. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:40 pm:

{Sen. Trotter voted for the law he is allged to have violated.}

Now we shall see if he actually intended for the law he voted for to apply to himself, or only to others.

90. - Brad - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:45 pm:

First a, 25 caliber pistol would not be carried by a security guard. It is clear he had the very small pistol for his personal protection! But I guess passing a conceal carry, so citizen who :need or want to carry, is out of the question. Even with a concealed carry law he would have still been arrested. It easy to see that you need a gun for protection in Chicago. Well guess in the State of Illinois, its do as I say not as I do.

91. - Jim - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:50 pm:

Trotter voted against allowing Illinoisans to carry concealed weapons.

92. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:50 pm:

Thanks, Todd, QTS, and Good L-Tee.
    #Writinginformedcommentnow

93. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 7:57 pm:

How is this NOT the best place to find out what you need to know when you have a question about IL politics or IL government?

Kudos to Todd, QTS, and TheGoodLieutenant;

I am reminded often, there are poeple here that have FORGOTTEN more about what has happened, than I think I even know.

Don’t get me started on Schnorf, or wordslinger, or … but I digress…

94. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:13 pm:

Jim — I am less worried about a vote from 1995. What matters is where is he on the issue today. . .

95. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:29 pm:

{Jim — I am less worried about a vote from 1995. What matters is where is he on the issue today. . }

Todd, how about voting in favor of the offense he was alleged to have committed as punishable as a Class 4 Felony during the 96th General Assembly on May 27, 2009 for a law with an Effective Date January 1, 2010?

Does that matter?

96. - Arthur Andersen - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:30 pm:

Well, with all that information:
    1) The “Boarding with Weapon” law is pretty clear, except for the definition, not contained within, of who is authorized to carry a weapon under State law.
    2) The “Unlawful Use of Weapons” law is equally clear and does not appear to provide an off-duty security guard with the exemption needed to avoid Charge #1.
    3) The Constitution. Donne deserves a chance to tell his side in the court of public opinion as much as he has the right to defend himself in court. Let’s hear what he has to say, including what in DC was more important than veto and exactly why the Beretta was in the bag.
    4) SA Alvarez should explain why some defendants charged with the same crime are held over and others are allowed to post bail.

97. - Oswego Willy - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:44 pm:

- AA -,

Now I know you are Over-Qualified to be my spokesman! NIce clarity. Plus, we need you around, I can’t have others take you out because of the Dopey things I do!

To the Post,

How much leeway is there in charging Trotter, and further, if there is no leeway, and charges stand, is it “All or nothing” or can the SA go another route and find another avenue to charge Trotter, convict, and maybe get probation?

I also know, this is all specualtions, all alleged, and way to early to pronounce guilt or innocence.

98. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:44 pm:

{Donne deserves a chance to tell his side in the court of public opinion as much as he has the right to defend himself in court. Let’s hear what he has to say, including what in DC was more important than veto and exactly why the Beretta was in the bag.}

{Zuccarelli said he last saw Trotter late Tuesday at a Thornton Township meeting that began at 8 p.m.

Trotter was arrested Wednesday, charged with attempting to bring a handgun onto a plane at O’Hare Airport, Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said. Trotter had explained he had been at a job with a security firm the night before and forgot he had the weapon and some ammunition in his bag.

Earlier on Tuesday, Trotter was in Springfield and voted in support of a measure allowing illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses.

Trotter’s legislative voting record on guns doesn’t align with his alleged actions Wednesday.}

99. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 8:46 pm:

Quinn–

voting for a bill like that I see it. But there is a differance between someone trying to smuggle a gun on baord a plane and someone who makes a mistake.

a Berreta like he had is a small gun. a pocket pistol that you could slip inthe fron or back pocket. It is very easy to miss the gun in a garment bag.

Again, it’s a mistake. By somone who had a FOID and a PERC card. he’s not Johnny Jihad, or a member of the latin kings

100. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:01 pm:

Todd, I get it.

How many people on a Cook County jury have; or have friends or relatives who have been previously charged and convicted of making mistakes that resulted in felonies?

The 65 year old flight attendant was also charged the same way, Is that what Senator Trotter was in favor of when voted for this law?

101. - Quinn T. Sential - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:21 pm:

Here’s the other issue, with Anita Alvarez and her office under the microscope for allegations of giving someone politically connected a pass on what was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner, this would appear to be an inopportune time to look the other way for Trotter.

Now how do you separate out the flight attendant from Trotter as the prosecution proceeds?

According to published reports the flight attendant has no record and has been a model citizen as well.

102. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:33 pm:

I say give BOTH of them a disorderly conduct $250 fine and call it a day.

My point is, people make mistakes. neither of these are people with records. they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

But Anita screwed the other stuff up so badly that Trotter may end up paying the price. She should look at these and UUW/AGUUW and see if there is a record? do they have FOID cards? and then dump those types but her anti-gun loathing won’t let her.

can’t wait to see how her anti-gun bill fairs now

103. - amalia - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:37 pm:

“…her anti-gun loathing won’t let her.” do you want laws enforced? or don’t you?

104. - k3 - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:38 pm:

Im pro-gun, just saying the part of the second district that will produce the most primary votes is anti-gun. Just look at how effective JJJ’s attacks on Halvorsons gun record were

105. - Todd - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 9:56 pm:

Amalia — yes I want laws enforced. but the statute also has a knowingly requirement. I see a difference between someone who didn’t “know” the gun was there and someone trying to evade security and sneak one on.

106. - Bill F - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:04 pm:

And the Golden Horseshoe for centrifugal spinning on behalf of a candidate goes to Todd, for his furious defense of Doc Holliday Trotter. Pick up your award and gift bag at the door.

107. - Michelle Flaherty - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:09 pm:

Fine him $96 billion and consider the pension system solved.

Next issue …

108. - Jack - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 10:12 pm:

The papers only mention a FOID and a PERC card. From looking at the regs, those don’t seem to be enough to be an Armed Security Guard. That may have been a consideration in Trotter being held overnight.

109. - Ray del Camino - Wednesday, Dec 5, 12 @ 11:43 pm:

Obviously a dumb oversight. I tried to board a Southwest flight once with an heirloom pocketknife in my carryon. Ran back to the SWA counter, and God love ‘em, they dug out my checked bag and let me put the knife in the suitcase.

I feel bad for Trotter. Don’t know if it is a deal-killer in the 2nd district (I’m in SO IL), but this is not the way you want to go out.

110. - Pot calling kettle - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 12:06 am:

Note that the state law quoted above has this clause “…knowingly having in his or her possession…” It would seem that if someone mistakenly left a gun in their bag, the prosecutor could drop the charge.

111. - TheGoodLieutenant - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 5:38 am:

Some of you are still calling this a case of “carry” instead of transport. There is a difference, as one doesn’t require anything more than a FOID. That is the case here. The gun was both unloaded and encased, no need for a PERC to transport a firearm.

He broke the law, though it seems unknowingly so, and the law has a qualifier that is “knowingly”.

112. - anonymouse - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 7:02 am:

Everyone gets held overnight. It is a felony. Bail is set by a judge and Cook County only has bond court in the AM. Or are you advocating special treatment. He is being treated as any other person arrested for a felony.
    They are not Anita’s rules. They are the local court rules and the statute.

113. - This Beholder - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 7:28 am:

@unreal ===Allpoint is a pretty good Democrat donor as well and interesting nothing appears on the good Senator’s Statement of Economic Interest.===

Read SB 3941 (Kotowski) to change the Statement of Economic Interest disclosure form. If Trotter had >$2,500 in income from Allpoint, that bill’s language in question #2 would have required him to disclose the source of income. Current law, not so much. “N/A” and call it a day.

114. - Estubborn - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 7:54 am:

And I always thought he was a straight shooter

115. - Wensicia - Thursday, Dec 6, 12 @ 8:02 am:

He’ll plea bargain the charge down, switch primaries to run as a Republican with this firearm cred and hire Ted Nugent to hold a fund raising concert on his behalf.

* Reader comments closed until Monday
* TrackBill update
* Caption contest!
* It's worse than we thought
* Long-term debt is not short-term debt
* Today's quotable

* Get smart with Dual-SIM Lumias
        * Lumia reports: Get the eye-opening inside story on the Trust Women Conference
        * How Bangladesh and the Lumia 730 took the world’s largest selfie
        * iPhone 6s sapphire, GS5 Lollipop, Tablet decline & more – Pocketnow Daily
        * President Obama Signs E-Label Act, Companies No Longer Required to Etch FCC Labels on Devices
        * NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet LTE Lollipop upgrade lands on devices
        * Black Friday and Cyber Monday: here’s what’s going down

* How to Design Social Media Images for Brand Recognition
        * Red BlackBerry Passport Goes Up For Pre-order
        * Civilization Beyond Earth For Mac Launches Today (video)
        * Natalie Portman May Star In Steve Jobs Movie
        * Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer Will Also Be Available Via iTunes
        * Awesome Keyboard Waffle Iron Hits Kickstarter (video)
        * GoPro Drones Rumoured To Be Under Development For Late 2015 Launch